• Please log in to reply
258 replies to this topic

#151 geoffg

geoffg

• 18 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:05

Very well said...

Something for all journos to aim for.

He made it across the pond to be at (I think) year 2 of the Milwaukee Miller event - something like 1995?

Advertisement

#152 longhorn

longhorn

• 173 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 14:49

He made it across the pond to be at (I think) year 2 of the Milwaukee Miller event - something like 1995?

He was also at Long Beach in March 1983 for the last F1 GP at that venue. We met him, midweek before the race, at the Cunningham museum in Costa Mesa where Cunningham and Burgess had got the MG K3 warmed up for DSJ to drive around the car park. He had written about a previous trip to that GP in Motor Sport, where he had taken in the Sprint meeting at Ascot on the Saturday night. We intended to do the same and he said that we'd enjoy it, which was an understatement.

#153 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 13:24

In case anyone missed this on another thread; our hero in a trial with Holland Birkett, 1949. Perhaps an alternative winter version of his sidecar passenger antics. Scroll down the page.
http://www.austinhar...known-trial/263
Roger Lund

#154 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 00:13

Jenks and Moss at the FoS, 1995...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Photos copyright Roger Lund

I just thought it might be seemly to mention that it was thirteen years ago today, 29.11.1996, that Jenks passed away.

Roger Lund.

It falls to me to mark yet another year since the passing of our little hero 14 years ago. It may be appropriate to scroll throught this thread for stories and photographs as reminders of him.
Roger Lund

#155 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,780 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:23

Those of us who know or knew, read his articles in MOTORSPORT, and met him are all the poorer for his passing........but I'm sure at the moment he could give a toss.....probably too busy discussing set-up issues with Ayrton and Jimmy......

Edited by jj2728, 29 November 2010 - 15:07.

#156 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:05

I must say I miss his race reports and "Reflections on......" of the various GP's and F1 life in general - would love to see what he'd make of today's F1!
He certainly had the knack of appealing to the enthusiast. At least we still have Roebuck and our own DCN in Motorsport - both blessed with good portions of that same knack.

#157 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,662 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:13

Without DSJ I might never have made it as far as enjoying the good virtual company of all those here at TNF !

RIP DSJ

#158 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,330 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 22:53

Posted Image

Chez DSJ - just rediscovered the shot, seemed seasonally suitable...

Photo Copyright Denis Jenkinson/The GP Library

#159 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,428 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:09

It is a joy to recall the story of the Boxing day Lotus 12 trip, how many years ago was it....?

Advertisement

#160 RogerFrench

RogerFrench

• 386 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:14

It is a joy to recall the story of the Boxing day Lotus 12 trip, how many years ago was it....?

1957 wasn't it?

#161 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,225 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:34

As former Team Lotus mechanic, Merv Therriault, and I were flying to (or from?) LA for the Fabulous Fifties banquet last week, he was recounting this story, including Jenks stopping at a home to interrupt the occupants' Christmas festivities to ask for help as his car had broken down!

Vince H.

#162 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,304 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:57

As Vince implies, the drive was on Christmas Day (not Boxing Day) in 1957, the theory being that at around lunchtime on Christmas Day the Plod would all be indoors eating their Christmas dinner.

#163 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,428 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 14:02

As Vince implies, the drive was on Christmas Day (not Boxing Day) in 1957, the theory being that at around lunchtime on Christmas Day the Plod would all be indoors eating their Christmas dinner.

You are, I am sure correct, at the time of publication I would not have had immediate access to Motor Sport. I was still being chivvied from pillar to post as a reluctant member of the Royal Corps of Signals.

#164 Jean L

Jean L

• 274 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 18:01

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Jenks,Keith Duckworth and the Renault at Brands Hatch in 1978.

#165 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,875 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 22:25

I'll bet he just adored having to wear that orange jacket...

Maybe DSJ could shed some light on his attitudes to this sort of thing?

#166 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,834 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 14:07

He might if we held a seance!

#167 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,428 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 14:20

Shall we try one at Pau in May, the surroundings would be right with the circuit (almost) unchanged from his day?

Edited by Sharman, 01 January 2011 - 14:21.

#168 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,780 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 14:23

He might if we held a seance!

:rotfl:

#169 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,834 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 14:29

Sorry, Ray.

#170 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,001 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 18:31

I'll bet he just adored having to wear that orange jacket...

Maybe DSJ could shed some light on his attitudes to this sort of thing?

Were you thinking of DCN Ray? :)

#171 Jeroen Brink

Jeroen Brink

• 167 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 19:49

Further to his '95 FOS ride and the pix posted; afterwards he seems to have said "I can die happy now".. Great quote.

As to the picture of his house, was it true that most of the space was filled with engine blocks in various states of repair?

#172 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,875 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 22:23

Originally posted by David Birchall
Were you thinking of DCN Ray?

That's the one!

I can hear Poms chuckling from here...

#173 RogerFrench

RogerFrench

• 386 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:30

In case anyone missed this on another thread; our hero in a trial with Holland Birkett, 1949. Perhaps an alternative winter version of his sidecar passenger antics. Scroll down the page.
http://www.austinhar...known-trial/263
Roger Lund

It might even have been the same trial I referred to earlier - the date's about right.

#174 BenM

BenM

• 12 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 19:07

Upon starting my read of Jenks' book "The Racing Driver" I came across this in the Introduction:

"On the other hand, if my scientific friends get hold of the information, they may do some heavy calculations and decide that all the requirements could be produced by an intricate small black box that ticks and buzzes and computes all the known information, to control a racing car at the limit of its performance round any predetermined circuit."

It strikes me how right he was! Also computers must have been reasonably little known in '58? (A little before my time :) ) Fantastic!

Ben

Edited by BenM, 02 January 2011 - 19:10.

#175 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 23:30

It falls to me to mark yet another year since the passing of our hero. It may be appropriate to scroll throught this thread for stories and photographs as reminders of him.
Roger Lund

As ever, I make no apologies for noting Jenks' passing 15 years ago today. I do, however, apologise for the poor quality of my shot of him with SCM and Lady Moss at the 1996 FoS. He was not in the best of health at that time.
Posted Image
Photo copyright Roger Lund, all rights reserved.
This was the occcasion when, as the three of them walked into the assembly area, the crowd suddenly fell to a hush, then the words "It's Jenks," and "it's DSJ" could be heard from the knowledgeable spectators, who broke into a spontaneous round of applause.
Many thanks Jenks, and RIP
Roger Lund

Edited by bradbury west, 28 November 2011 - 23:30.

#176 barrykm

barrykm

• 431 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:25

I always enjoyed DSJ's Letters to WB and his "Reflections on.."

#177 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,428 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:31

As ever, I make no apologies for noting Jenks' passing 15 years ago today. I do, however, apologise for the poor quality of my shot of him with SCM and Lady Moss at the 1996 FoS. He was not in the best of health at that time.
Posted Image
This was the occcasion when, as the three of them walked into the assembly area, the crowd suddenly fell to a hush, then the words "It's Jenks," and "it's DSJ" could be heard from the knowledgeable spectators, who broke into a spontaneous round of applause.
Roger Lund

Thank you for reminding us all Roger how much poorer the world is today.

#178 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,304 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:39

I'd have loved to have seen that.

RIP DSJ

#179 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,780 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:36

Posted Image
Roger Lund

I grew up with the writing of HNM III in Rod & Truck, but over the past few years and thanks to ebuy, have been able to acquire many issues of MotorSport past, the '60s specifically. I reckon my question is, did DSJ venture across the pond to our side (The Americas) often, if at all? Just wondering....

Advertisement

#180 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,046 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 19:40

Posted Image
Roger Lund

Thanks for the reminder Roger

#181 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,875 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 21:01

Originally posed by jj2728
I grew up with the writing of HNM III in Rod & Truck, but over the past few years and thanks to ebuy, have been able to acquire many issues of MotorSport past, the '60s specifically. I reckon my question is, did DSJ venture across the pond to our side (The Americas) often, if at all? Just wondering....

The short answer is 'Yes!'...

Like you, I had HNM III on my regular 'read list', as were some others, but always it was DSJ first. From the August 1962 issue, I tried to never miss him in anything, with the 'Letter to WB' and 'Continental Notes', along with the snippets in the various post scripts of the race reports being essential reading.

I was disappointed that the US GP and Mexican GP reports were written by others, and he wasn't there when Jochen Rindt won the US GP and therefore forced him to live up to his oath and shave his beard. But he did make it on at least one occasion.

Anyone with an orderly set of Motor Sport could quickly go through these reports over the years and find out which years included his signature.

I also think there was a comment made at one stage that the extension of the season to those later months encroached on his time to play with his other toys, so that hindered his travel to the Americas.

#182 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 235 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 21:26

Upon starting my read of Jenks' book "The Racing Driver" I came across this in the Introduction:

"On the other hand, if my scientific friends get hold of the information, they may do some heavy calculations and decide that all the requirements could be produced by an intricate small black box that ticks and buzzes and computes all the known information, to control a racing car at the limit of its performance round any predetermined circuit."

It strikes me how right he was! Also computers must have been reasonably little known in '58? (A little before my time :) ) Fantastic!

The Lyons computer was used for high street shops in the UK from 1952 to record consumer behaviour and to order new stock. It would be fair to assume that DSJ appreciated these facts, even if they weren't his thing.

I tip my hat to the photographer of the pic above featuring the Renault Turbo, DSJ and Keith Duckworth.

#183 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:14

Somewhere on his cloud, blipping the throttle on his harp, he has just turned to Rodney Walkerley, Philip Turner and Pete Coltrin and said "Look at what those silly arses down there have done! We're in the best place, you know - we had the best of it....".

However, should anyone agree with him, he will instantly change tack -adopt a different stance - and begin to argue in favour of what has happened. Facing DSJ in a debate was always like trying to catch smoke.

DCN

Posted Image

#184 speedman13

speedman13

• 230 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:17

Posted Image

Jenks,Keith Duckworth and the Renault at Brands Hatch in 1978.

What a wonderful photograph, a GP pit lane as it should be, no celebs just enthusiasts.

#185 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,330 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 22:32

Posted Image

But for the circumstances having (one hopes) come about I feel certain that Jenks would have just LOVED this!

Fine job.

DCN

#186 oldtimer

oldtimer

• 1,291 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:39

I wonder what DSJ would have thought about McLaren's attempt to influence Pirelli to produce wobbly-dobbly tyres to make F1 racing more interesting. In his days, it was drivers, engines and chassis that decided outcomes of F1 racing.

BTW. My favourite report was his first, unofficial report of the 1975 British GP, when nearly all fell off the track.

An I loved his comments about Fangio's driving in the practice sessions at the Belgian and French GPs.

Edited by oldtimer, 01 December 2011 - 01:49.

#187 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:19

But for the circumstances having (one hopes) come about I feel certain that Jenks would have just LOVED this!

Fine job.

DCN

Thanks Doug. I still have the Motor Sport mags I bought in 1957. For a teenager in the antipodes there was no better entree to the GP world than to 'go to Europe' with the Foreign Correspondent. In some ways, better than going in the flesh with Page & Moy a couple of decades later. IMHO a better era too!

#188 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 19:48

Posted Image
Roger Lund

16 years ago. RIP.
My apologies for posting a little late in the day.
RL

#189 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,046 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 20:28

Today I'll have to take my copy of A passion for motor sport down from the bookshelf and read a couple of chapters

RIP

#190 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,780 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 23:59

A good day to hoist a dram and read some GP race reports in MotorSport from the '60s.

#191 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,886 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:27

Did I hear Chris Evans correctly on Radio 2 while driving to work this morning? Jenks is still around and has a new book out!

#192 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 868 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 20:05

I was surprised he made that mistake, he corrected himself a few minutes later.

David

#193 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,886 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:03

I was surprised he made that mistake, he corrected himself a few minutes later.

David

I thought he would, after a barrage of E Mails. Missed that, must have been after I got to work.

Edited by David Beard, 06 February 2013 - 09:05.

#194 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,669 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:05

Goodwood 1995. 40th anniversary of the great event
Posted Image
Two men, amazed by the reception they received

#195 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,999 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:18

When I met DSJ at Oulton Park years back, I remember being surprised at how diminutive he was, and how little attention he attracted as he pottered about.

(Wonderful photograph, Alan. :up: )

Edited by Giraffe, 08 March 2013 - 09:20.

#196 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,875 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:27

I was too, when I met him at Monaco in 1981...

But my greater surprise was that he was prepared to hoe into some green snails on his plate!

#197 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,999 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:53

I was too, when I met him at Monaco in 1981...

on his plate!

Of course the story goes that he actually only possessed one plate.........  ;)

#198 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,875 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:48

But the restaurant had several...

I'm sure you understand this.

#199 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,046 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:50

Ray, Who picked up the tab?

Advertisement

#200 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,875 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:05

I don't know...

He was eating there, I came along and had a chat with him, I guess he paid or had an account or something.