Request for pictures of my father, former F5000 driver Clive Santo

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Christian

Christian

• 3 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 16:18

Dear All

I was wondering whether any of you had photographs of my father from when he was racing. His name is Clive Santo and he drove in Formula 5000 between 1972-74, before then I believe he drove in club races, Formula Atlantic and a Formula 2 race in Austria with Jochen Rindt. He competed in nearly all rounds of F5000 in that time and the Race of Champions events. I am building a collection of pictures of him and have seen a few dotted about on various threads.

If you have any pics of him in or out of the car or any recollections of any races he was in I would be really pleased to receive them.

Further, would anyone have any knowledge of whether there is television footage of any of these events. I believe many of these races were filmed at the time but have only come across some footage on a DVD called 'The Race of Champions 1967 & 1973'.

In exchange, if there are any Formula 5000 related questions you have, I would be happy to pass them on to him and try and get you answers.

Thanks in advance

Christian

Advertisement

#2 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,847 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 16:44

Hello Christian, welcome to TNF !

I don't know if you saw this thread , where I posted a picture of someone who was identified as your dad ( pic N° 6 ) and there are some more stories about him further down in the thread

http://forums.atlasf...415#post1788415

Now maybe we will know if all these stories are true !

#3 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,404 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 18:32

Christian, it would be nice if you could tell us something about your father's life.

Even on this forum little is known about him - as you can see in this thread.

#4 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 18:46

Hi Christian, and welcome! :wave:

I'm afraid I only have these three pics I took of your father, all taken during 1973;

An early-season round at a very chilly Snetterton...

Posted Image

Chatting with reigning World Champion Emerson Fittipaldi at Silverstone during the British GP...

Posted Image

In the Oulton Park assembly area, just prior to the Gold Cup...

Posted Image

:up:

#5 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 23:49

Surely Alan Cox and MCS have something to offer here between them?

Where are you, chaps?!

#6 flatout911

flatout911

• 16 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:44

Hello Christian !

I found this picture of your father in my collection. Though with is helmet on but at least you can see his eyes ;) . It is from a british Motorsport Newspaper, which was published weekly in the sixties and seventies. But i have forgotten the name.

Posted Image

Hope you enjoy

Niki

#7 Christian

Christian

• 3 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:18

Thanks for all the replies so far and the pictures. I will find out the facts and post a note about Dad's potential stand in for Peter Revson at the 1973 Brazilian GP, as I see this was discussed in a previous thread.

Thanks, Christian

#8 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:44

Apologies for reminding everyone of the character in this shot with the high heels. Taken I believe in 1973 with Tom Belso to the left next to Clive with Lanfranchi to the right. I guess a Radio Luxembourg function? Can't remember which magazine this came from, found it in one of my old scrap books.

Posted Image

#9 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 13:52

Clive's the only normal looking one there !!

#10 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 14:19

Originally posted by Mallory Dan
Clive's the only normal looking one there !!

Look at those flares on Belso!

#11 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 22:12

Hello Christian

I used in live in Bromley in the 1970's and noticed that your dad was sponsored by Woods Garage Bromley and I believe he lived in Beckenham, where I worked.

I was always curious as to what he did and what his background was. Can you help?

Richie

#12 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 22:16

He was a philatelist I think - although I'm not sure if that was by profession or hobby.

#13 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:17

Originally posted by Twin Window
He was a philatelist I think - although I'm not sure if that was by profession or hobby.

I did'nt realise there was so much money in it, wish I'd paid more attention to it when someone tried to start me off on it as a child! I think we give them all to charity nowadays... :-(

#14 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:29

Alain de Cadenet too, was, or perhaps still is, a stamp enthusiast; I believe he has been a philatelic adviser to the Royal Mail, which would qualify him as an expert, I suppose. I remember reading several references to him being a "stamp dealer" (de Cadenet, that is, not Mr. Santo), but whether this was actually a major business activity for him, or simply someone making the rash assumption that "philatelist" and "stamp dealer" were necessarily the same thing, I've never been sure.

#15 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:46

I suppose its like the line between being a drug dealer and a drug user, and theres certainly been a few of the former funding their motor racing over time! Stamp dealer is a much more genteel way of making money I presume though, and one to be appluaded.

#16 Sergio Sultani

Sergio Sultani

• 140 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 14:19

Hi Christian.

Do you know this history with your father and José Carlos Pace that Castilho de Andrade wrote?

"In 1976, Moco was learning to pilot airplane with Clive Santo, pilot who made some races of F-5000, participated of tests of F-1 is of the championship and still he was head of team of Ingo Hoffmann, in the English F-3.
In one of the practical lessons, Moco took the journalist Castilho de Andrade for a fast trip of the south of London until Silverstone.
After 20 minutes of flight, Castilho alerted that it gushed out combustible of one of the sides of the airplane whose tank had not been well closed.
Clive Santo confirmed and gave to beginning the operation of return to the airport.
Instead of scaring, Moco started to say that the situation was under control and looked for to leave everybody calm.
The airplane stopped in the airport without problems, the mechanics had replenished the tank and new flight go on- of this time without problems.
In the return, Clive Santo confessed: “one spark and we nor would have time to come back toward the airport. We had much luck”.

BW
Sergio Sultani.

#17 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 16:43

Michael Dell's first business at age 10 was selling rare coins and rare stamps through the mail just like his computers. That's where he got the original idea for a direct sell business.

#18 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 22:54

Originally posted by ghinzani

I did'nt realise there was so much money in it, wish I'd paid more attention to it when someone tried to start me off on it as a child! I think we give them all to charity nowadays... :-(

I myself, always wanted to be a Philanderer, but as it turns out, could only afford to dabble in Philately :blush:

#19 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:12

hey Christian, I didn'ty realise until last night that I had this photo of your father :

http://img110.images...ge=tmp48ln9.jpg

Advertisement

#20 Christian

Christian

• 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 18:18

Dear all

Thank you very much for all the postings and attaching the photos. I am beginning to put together a good collection now.

Sorry for the delay in responding but I can add some further detail to some queries mentioned in the Forums:

1973 Brazilian GP

Having raced with Emerson Fittipaldi in Formula Ford in the UK and in Brazil, Dad formed and continues to have a very close friendship with Emerson. He was therefore holidaying with Emerson in Brazil at the time of this G.P. When it transpired that Peter Revson had food poisoning and was generally unfit to race Bernie Ecclestone suggested to Teddy Mayer, who then ran McLaren, that as Dad knew the circuit he could drive in Revson's car. (Dad knew the circuit from a series of Formula Ford races which were held in Brazil a few years before and at least in part organised by John Webb who ran Brands Hatch I believe.) Teddy Mayer agreed and was happy to let Dad drive the car. Carlos Pace, who Dad was also friends with, lent Dad some overalls and a helmet in preparation for the race. However, Peter Revson was not open to letting anyone else drive his car and he refused to agree to this idea. Despite his illness he therefore took part in practice and the race, retiring after only 3 laps. This was a disappointing outcome as Dad felt that he knew the circuit very well and could have gone quickly in the McLaren.

Stamp Dealing

Although this was sometimes detailed as Dad's profession it actually never was. His father, my Grandad, was a stamp dealer and sometimes Dad helped him with various things but he was never a stamp dealer himself.

Flying with Carlos Pace

After hanging up his helmet at the end of 1974 Dad learnt to fly and later became an instructor. Dad was good friends with Carlos Pace, through his friendship with Emerson and was indeed teaching him to fly around the time when Carlos was tragicially killed in another plane crash. The incident with the fuel leak which is detailed in the article is not something Dad remembers happening and possibly this is a mistake in the article?

Woods Garage Bromley

Dad lived mainly in and around Beckenham during this time and he was sponsored in part by this garage in Bromley. I don’t think there was anything further to it other than it being a local car dealership.

I belive the picture with Lanfranchi and Gary Glitter is from the Racing Car Show as we have a similar shot at home.

If anyone has any other Formula 5000 photos I would enjoying seeing them.

Thanks again

Christian

#21 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 18:31

I wouldn't want to spend much time inside Gary Glitter's head; however I love the stories and photos of your dad.

#22 JosephSoap

JosephSoap

• 3 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 19:51

Hi. I've just come across your request of 8 years ago!

I think I have a couple of photos at a Libre race at Mallory Park.

Contact me and I'll send them to you. Not sure how to attach them on this site.

Bill Bray

bill@bbray9.wanadoo.co.uk