Photo

Motorcycle racing; 1949-1968 nostalgia

• Please log in to reply
9180 replies to this topic

#1251 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,260 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 14:51

I remember John Samways as someone who appeared to be on the verge of being up there with the quicks, but then dissappeared ? And didn't he get into some strife or other and end up being suspended for a while, or at least disqualified from a race ?

Advertisement

#1252 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,260 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 15:22

Posted Image

Found this brilliant pic in a remaindered bookshop. Who's the guy on the left?

#1253 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,260 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 21:25

alright then, the bloke on the right?

#1254 GD66

GD66

• 2,186 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 21:31

Good pic, Russell. The knee pads suggest it may have been taken at the Monza one-hour record attempt on the 350 Gilera. Sorry, I have no clue as to Bob Mac's companion.

#1255 renzo

renzo

• 821 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 21:39

my god,that bike looks a beast! dosen't it :eek:

#1256 pmbboy

pmbboy

• 265 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:30

Originally posted by GD66
Good pic, Russell. The knee pads suggest it may have been taken at the Monza one-hour record attempt on the 350 Gilera. Sorry, I have no clue as to Bob Mac's companion.

The bike certainly looks mean and business like, what a great picture,
I am sure it is Monza as you can see the grandstand in the background and I am sure no other track has that art deco turret.

Peter

#1257 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,260 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:32

Yes, Monza late autumn 1957 for the the hour world record. To Bob's right, Libero Liberati, then the current 500 world champion.

#1258 GD66

GD66

• 2,186 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:06

Some fruity sounds of the Gilera fours and plenty of other classic race machines at www.vintagebike.co.uk ....

#1259 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:17

Thanks for that fantastic pic Russell. Just seen it now and it´s made my day, I can tell you. :up:
Always struck by what a strong face Bob had. He was a tough ´un, wasn´t he.

Advertisement

#1260 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,031 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 15:12

Could that caption of "George Daniels" dropping it, be a misprint for Gordon Daniels? I reckon it is, as he rode a Peel-faired 7R around that time.

#1261 pmbboy

pmbboy

• 265 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 17:38

Originally posted by knickerbrook
Could that caption of "George Daniels" dropping it, be a misprint for Gordon Daniels? I reckon it is, as he rode a Peel-faired 7R around that time.

you could be right, I have the results sheets from those races somewhere in my scrap book i will have a look and see what they say.

Peter

#1262 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,260 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:14

Originally posted by ex Rhodie racer
Thanks for that fantastic pic Russell. Just seen it now and it´s made my day, I can tell you. :up:
Always struck by what a strong face Bob had. He was a tough ´un, wasn´t he.

:up: Absolutely. Some further shots of him would be good....

#1263 Bernard

Bernard

• 240 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 22:34

Since my wife died last year my old racing mates come to see me to talk about old times , the places we used to go and talk about whats on this forum.And one of my buddies the other night mentioned Marty Lunde who he remembered on a 7R and wondered what he was doing now so I googled him and this came up

http://www.haslemere.../racingmain.htm

would you believe it ? ,glad his still involved with the bike game. Conversely the experts on this forum who always amaze me by their knowledge may have known this already.

#1264 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,270 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:22

Bernard

I remember Marty Lunde and Lance Weil both came over from the States about the same time. Weil stayed here for about three summers racing 350 AJS/500 Matchless bikes and then his famous Harley, before returning to the US for good. As you say, Marty Lunde stayed and settled here. How successful was Marty?

#1265 renzo

renzo

• 821 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:25

and after all those years racing,poor old lance met his end in a silly freak workshop accident,fate eh? :(

#1266 Bernard

Bernard

• 240 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:22

Wasnt Marty Lunde champion at Silloth one time , if I recall it was up on the solway firth.I remember a discussion about going there or St Wendel for a holiday to see the races , you can guess where we went.

#1267 Bernard

Bernard

• 240 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:38

That shot from the Palace and the kneeler outfit, didnt Ted Young win a lot at the Palace on a kneeler Vincent outfit.Went there first when I was still at school and found out how tough the climb up to South Tower Corner was when I raced a bicycle round it on Tuesday nights.

#1268 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,260 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 21:06

Originally posted by Bernard
That shot from the Palace and the kneeler outfit, didnt Ted Young win a lot at the Palace on a kneeler Vincent outfit.Went there first when I was still at school and found out how tough the climb up to South Tower Corner was when I raced a bicycle round it on Tuesday nights.

Yes Bernard, I think his kneeler was one of the first and most successful. Wasn't he elder brother to Lewis Young? I would be interested to know your earliest memory of the Palace ?

#1269 Bernard

Bernard

• 240 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 22:48

Russell,

You learn something new every day, I did,nt know Ted was Lewis's brother. Saw Lewis Young at Opatija at Yugoslavian GP if memory serves it was held then (64/5/6) at the same time as the TT.So all the Continental Circus boys went there instead of the Island ,made some money and didnt wear the bike out for little reward.
What memories of the Palace, as I said went first when I was at school as we lived in Croydon and could ride there on my bike . Later on joined a cycling club and raced there on weekday nights. Also had my trusty NSU that took me all over Europe to watch races but the Palace was always on the doorstep for Bank Holiday meetings. First heros were Jackie Beeton and his Norton outfit together with Ted Young and Eric (E A G ) Vincent in sidecars and I suppose in solos Ned Minihan used to win most then. Dont remember many fatal accidents at the Palace but I do remember Ernie Borer on the bottom straight, front page of Daily Express next day.Watched from South Tower corner when I first went but soon found out that if you crossed the track and walked down the paddock access road carrying a toolbox or a spanner you could bunk into the paddock ! Saw some pics the other day of the old place and its very sad how it has become.

#1270 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,260 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 17:32

Russell,

You learn something new every day, I did,nt know Ted was Lewis's brother. Saw Lewis Young at Opatija at Yugoslavian GP if memory serves it was held then (64/5/6) at the same time as the TT.So all the Continental Circus boys went there instead of the Island ,made some money and didnt wear the bike out for little reward.
What memories of the Palace, as I said went first when I was at school as we lived in Croydon and could ride there on my bike . Later on joined a cycling club and raced there on weekday nights. Also had my trusty NSU that took me all over Europe to watch races but the Palace was always on the doorstep for Bank Holiday meetings. First heros were Jackie Beeton and his Norton outfit together with Ted Young and Eric (E A G ) Vincent in sidecars and I suppose in solos Ned Minihan used to win most then. Dont remember many fatal accidents at the Palace but I do remember Ernie Borer on the bottom straight, front page of Daily Express next day.Watched from South Tower corner when I first went but soon found out that if you crossed the track and walked down the paddock access road carrying a toolbox or a spanner you could bunk into the paddock ! Saw some pics the other day of the old place and its very sad how it has become.

Hi Bernard

I'm reasonably sure that they were brothers as I seem to remember reading this in either a feature or an obituary on Lewis in one of the retro bike mags, which of course, I can't now find. Does anyone out there recall this for certain? I too have some really fond memories of the old Palace; I went there first in 1956 as a nipper with my Dad to see my first road race. For me, at least looking back, there was often a great atmosphere there and the racing was usually really close, with blokes who didn't feature at other circuits, often going really well. Have you seen the books on the circuit? I have the Parfitt book which is pretty good, but, of course, has too much about cars. Also, on the now defunct thread, there are some good shots from the sixties. Yes, its all a bit sad looking now; I walked around a lap a few years ago and felt quite melacholic, especially when I noticed what must have been foot rest groves in the tarmac at North Tower Turn. On a positive note, some of the guys on here report that there was talk a while back of re-estalishing the old circuit. I suppose stranger things have happened.

Edit: the pics are on tis thread :blush:

#1271 Bernard

Bernard

• 240 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 19:10

Hi Russell,

Yes I have seen the book ordered it from our local library , and has as you say a lot about cars. I think I saw my first ever G50 Matchless at the Palace could not believe how lovely it looked . As I walked to work in the morning I used to pass John Robinsons house (Fritz Scheideggers passenger) in South Croydon and I did see the transporter outside a couple of times but you dont have the courage to go and knock on the door to say hello to Fritz who was one of our heroes. Some people had the Rolling Stones we had motorcycle racers.If you went in 56 with your dad who did you see because I first went in maybe 58/9 and the Overall brothers I can recall won the sidecar race at that meeting.

#1272 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,260 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 21:43

Hi Russell,

Yes I have seen the book ordered it from our local library , and has as you say a lot about cars. I think I saw my first ever G50 Matchless at the Palace could not believe how lovely it looked . As I walked to work in the morning I used to pass John Robinsons house (Fritz Scheideggers passenger) in South Croydon and I did see the transporter outside a couple of times but you dont have the courage to go and knock on the door to say hello to Fritz who was one of our heroes. Some people had the Rolling Stones we had motorcycle racers.If you went in 56 with your dad who did you see because I first went in maybe 58/9 and the Overall brothers I can recall won the sidecar race at that meeting.

I saw Surtees on the MV Bernard, although I can't say I remember too much as I was six at the time. I went to a few meetings afterwards but didn't go regularly until about '61. I don't recall the Overall brothers but I do remember Ned Minihan. By the way there is a great shot of Ned on a G50 on the Mortons photo archive site, taken I think, at Biggin Hill. My strongest memories are of Joe Dunphy, Griff Jenkins, Roger Hunter, John Simmonds etc, and outfit guys such as Hardcastle, Fideman amd later Boret. A geezer by the name of Scivyer wasn't too bad on the little'uns either.

#1273 Bernard

Bernard

• 240 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 22:12

Found the Ned Minihan shot you mentioned, many thanks for that.

#1274 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,031 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 13:13

Say Russell - re. the posts about a possible ex-Hailwood 7R a while back. I read an article recently about Syd Mullarney, which stated that Syd bought them both off Stan after Mike finished with them. So I wonder if the engine numbers are still recorded. (Is Syd still with us?).

#1275 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,260 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 13:31

Originally posted by knickerbrook
Say Russell - re. the posts about a possible ex-Hailwood 7R a while back. I read an article recently about Syd Mullarney, which stated that Syd bought them both off Stan after Mike finished with them. So I wonder if the engine numbers are still recorded. (Is Syd still with us?).

Barry, something is telling me that Ive read an obituary.... Thanks anyway for the info. The records could still well be out there - once I quit being a wage slave.........

#1276 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,260 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:54

Bernard, be good to hear about your trips in Europe on the NSU, and of course about the bike. Opatija is a fair old schlep from South Croydon, how long did it take you? I was in that part of the world a couple of weeks ago - Slovenia, not Croydon - and had a motorway toll guy trying to fine me 300 Euros for not having a vingette, but eventually wore him down to 40, the cost of the permit.

#1277 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,260 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 15:03

Posted Image

I'm sure somebody mentioned 7R's recently. The pilot?

#1278 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,270 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 16:22

Russell, It's Martyn Ashwood.........and I claim my Golden Guinea :D

#1279 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,260 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 16:41

Hi Paul, It's from a 1961 ad, and although I could be wrong - yes it is possible- ;) I dont think Martyn was in possesion of a nice new 7R at that time and may even had yet to begin racing. I immediately took it to be Mike Duff, who in 61 was starting to go really well. And look at that tucked in style. Anyone want to adjudicate?

Advertisement

#1280 barrykm

barrykm

• 435 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 04:57

Originally posted by Russell Burrows
Posted Image

I'm sure somebody mentioned 7R's recently. The pilot?

If this is from 1961, then this rider must have been exceptional in not wearing a pudding-basin helmet...?

#1281 GD66

GD66

• 2,186 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 05:18

A tough one, Russell... Duff's helmet had silver sides with the scarlet flash over the top (and the maple leaf ), yet stylewise it doesn't look unlike him. Helmet does resemble Martyn Ashwood's, yet like you I feel it may be a tad early for him.... more research required, I think.... what other similar ads have you got ? Do you remember "Jim Redman says " You can really see in the rain with TurboVisor !" " ?

#1282 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,260 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:42

Originally posted by barrykm

If this is from 1961, then this rider must have been exceptional in not wearing a pudding-basin helmet...?

Hi, yes exceptional but a number quick guys other than Duff wore them around that time, including Fred Neville, Dickie Dale and Paddy Driver. SMB Hailwod tried on for a bit too.

#1283 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,260 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:55

Originally posted by GD66
A tough one, Russell... Duff's helmet had silver sides with the scarlet flash over the top (and the maple leaf ), yet stylewise it doesn't look unlike him. Helmet does resemble Martyn Ashwood's, yet like you I feel it may be a tad early for him.... more research required, I think.... what other similar ads have you got ? Do you remember "Jim Redman says " You can really see in the rain with TurboVisor !" " ?

Hi GD, I do remember that visor ad, what, did it spin or something? Duff's hat was as you describe but early on was painted around the edge as per the pic. I cant say I recall that from the time as a spectator but on her site there was a pic of Mike with such a design. Ive just checked and its no longer there so I'll e mail her and perhaps get the definitive word. And Isn't there part of a maple leaf just about showing

#1284 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:56

Not sure if you have seen this before? but I was told this is original (as can be for a 50year old bike!!) and not a modern replica,(you experts will know!!?)
Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

#1285 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,260 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:09

Originally posted by picblanc
Not sure if you have seen this before? but I was told this is original (as can be for a 50year old bike!!) and not a modern replica,(you experts will know!!?)
Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

Very nice Graham.... Actually, the primary chain case is not original, nor I think is that clutch 'proper', and of course that extended front mudguard is wrong. Looks suspiciously like 18 inch wheels as well. I'd still like it though.

#1286 pmbboy

pmbboy

• 265 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:22

Originally posted by barrykm

I think it is Mike Duff as there is a picture in the Mick Walker AJS book which shows his helmet quite clearly and this picture shows those side pieces leading to the maple leaf.
if you have the book check it out but i would bet on it that it is Duff.

Peter
Sorry does any of that make sense.

#1287 HEMEYLA

HEMEYLA

• 586 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 14:45

Have a look at the picture on this website.

#1288 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 15:45

Originally posted by HEMEYLA
Have a look at the picture on this website.

Yes, same helmet and markings on bike
#68. Nice one! :up:

#1289 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer

• 3,002 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 15:52

Originally posted by Russell Burrows

Very nice Graham.... Actually, the primary chain case is not original, nor I think is that clutch 'proper', and of course that extended front mudguard is wrong. Looks suspiciously like 18 inch wheels as well. I'd still like it though.

You missed the bike stand Russell. Definitely not original.;) :lol:

#1290 renzo

renzo

• 821 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 17:03

Originally posted by ex Rhodie racer

You missed the bike stand Russell. Definitely not original.;) :lol:

original

Posted Image

:rotfl:

#1291 Hockenheim Racer

Hockenheim Racer

• 25 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 17:26

Hello,
I´m new in this thread, and it is unbelievable what You know about the early years! As I grew up in Hockenheim, I saw the German GP from 1973 on, but unfortunately I have almost no results of the races. Does anybody know a website with the complete results of all GP races from1949 on? I found some pages but there are mostly only the winners or the podiums.
If I ask a silly question which was asked many times before sorry for that, I didn´t read the whole thread, especially not the whole part 1...
Joerg

#1292 HEMEYLA

HEMEYLA

• 586 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 18:00

Hello Joerg, on Vincent Glon's website you can find the whole GP history from riders who get points in the world championship.

And another one MotoGP.

#1293 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,260 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 18:05

Originally posted by Hockenheim Racer
Hello,
I´m new in this thread, and it is unbelievable what You know about the early years! As I grew up in Hockenheim, I saw the German GP from 1973 on, but unfortunately I have almost no results of the races. Does anybody know a website with the complete results of all GP races from1949 on? I found some pages but there are mostly only the winners or the podiums.
If I ask a silly question which was asked many times before sorry for that, I didn´t read the whole thread, especially not the whole part 1...
Joerg

Joerg, welcome to the site. Can't at the moment think where you might find the info you're after, but there is no doubt it's out there somewhere, perhaps not on line though ?

#1294 Bernard

Bernard

• 240 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 22:01

Russell,
Did'nt know if I should pm you or not as am not sure others would want to hear my Continental Circus reminiscences. But here goes (apologies to those who dont and maybe can move on to other posts.) The NSU was a max or supermax I cannot remember which, single cyl 250cc ohc. I had been to the TT for a couple of years and Motorcycling used to publish a racing calendar for the coming year round about New Year time and I thought it might be interesting to travel to a meeting in Europe. So I went to St Wendel, Assen ,Opatija and St Ursanne/ Les Rangiers hillclimb in Switzerland in succesive years. I shall come to Opatija in a moment but the NSU only had one bit of trouble started to seize en route to Assen changed the oil and everything was hunky dory from thereon. As you say Opatija was a long way away and being a communist country then my calls to the Foreign Ofiice for advice about visas etc were less than forthcoming. I then saw in Thomas Cooks a coach tour to Opatija and I reckoned if I could be there the weekend of the races everybody else may be on the beach but I knew where I would be. I have a memory of Luigi Taveri winning and seeing Lewis Young, Godfrey Nash Billie Nelson and Silvio Grasseti in the paddock.One of the things I can admit now is making myself a press credential for a non existant magazine and finding it remarkably easy to blag my way into the paddock once you had been to the press office to get credentials...the follys of youth.One of my best memories of that time is being in the paddock at the Island on the NSU and the late Georg Aeurbacher asking me to take his then passenger Hermann Hahn for a slow trip around the course.I suppose the saddest memory, as I have posted to Paul Rochdale before, is arriving at Assen on the Friday afternoon to learn that Roland Foll had been killed on his Honda in 125 cc practice. I was a bit of a fan having had a conversation with him at the TT in my very bad and halting german about his time as Florian Camathias passenger. Then I drifted out of going to races in about 1967.....

#1295 Hockenheim Racer

Hockenheim Racer

• 25 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 22:06

Joerg, welcome to the site. Can't at the moment think where you might find the info you're after, but there is no doubt it's out there somewhere, perhaps not on line though ?

Thank You both for the answers. I already knew the two sites Heymela posted in his answer, and I also saw some more like this in the net, but I´m still looking for a complete statistic if You know what I mean. Entry list, Practice, Grid and result, like there are so many sites about F1 and so on.
I think the Moto GP World Championship would be worth it to try to get something like that to the web.
It´s a pity that the "official" MotoGP-site has just the drivers in the points in their list, isn´t it?
But on the other hand it must be very difficult to get the whole results, especially of the early years...

Joerg

#1296 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:22

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernard

One of the things I can admit now is making myself a press credential for a non existant magazine and finding it remarkably easy to blag my way into the paddock once you had been to the press office to get credentials...the follys of youth.
:wave: Tut ,Tut ,Tut Bernard you naughty boy ;) A friend of mine blagged his way into Bill France's office at Daytona International Speedway and got a press pass by saying he worked for the ' Exchange & Mart ' :eek: :lol: and I could name more than I rider/back up who had a couple of different number plates for the transporters : !!!

#1297 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:56

Originally posted by renzo

original

Posted Image

:rotfl:

:wave: Sorry Dennis , missed your gem :lol: :rotfl: :lol: :up:

#1298 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,270 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:06

Going back to the AJS 7R in the advert, I've been reading 'The Mike Duff Story, Make Haste Slowly' - a superb book by the way - and there's a picture of Duff's 7R on p82. He mentions that it was one of the last ones built in 1961 and 'reportedly gave the most horsepower of any of the 7Rs built that year, 42.8hp'.

I could find no pictures of that helmet design though.

#1299 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,260 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:18

Russell,
Did'nt know if I should pm you or not as am not sure others would want to hear my Continental Circus reminiscences. But here goes (apologies to those who dont and maybe can move on to other posts.) The NSU was a max or supermax I cannot remember which, single cyl 250cc ohc. I had been to the TT for a couple of years and Motorcycling used to publish a racing calendar for the coming year round about New Year time and I thought it might be interesting to travel to a meeting in Europe. So I went to St Wendel, Assen ,Opatija and St Ursanne/ Les Rangiers hillclimb in Switzerland in succesive years. I shall come to Opatija in a moment but the NSU only had one bit of trouble started to seize en route to Assen changed the oil and everything was hunky dory from thereon. As you say Opatija was a long way away and being a communist country then my calls to the Foreign Ofiice for advice about visas etc were less than forthcoming. I then saw in Thomas Cooks a coach tour to Opatija and I reckoned if I could be there the weekend of the races everybody else may be on the beach but I knew where I would be. I have a memory of Luigi Taveri winning and seeing Lewis Young, Godfrey Nash Billie Nelson and Silvio Grasseti in the paddock.One of the things I can admit now is making myself a press credential for a non existant magazine and finding it remarkably easy to blag my way into the paddock once you had been to the press office to get credentials...the follys of youth.One of my best memories of that time is being in the paddock at the Island on the NSU and the late Georg Aeurbacher asking me to take his then passenger Hermann Hahn for a slow trip around the course.I suppose the saddest memory, as I have posted to Paul Rochdale before, is arriving at Assen on the Friday afternoon to learn that Roland Foll had been killed on his Honda in 125 cc practice. I was a bit of a fan having had a conversation with him at the TT in my very bad and halting german about his time as Florian Camathias passenger. Then I drifted out of going to races in about 1967.....

Good stuff Bernard. The cammy NSU was quick wasnt it? Was it derived from the 50's racers ridden by Haas, Hollus etc? I can remember a few being raced in the sixties. Alan? Pavey, was usually up there at Brands and the Palace on his Sportsmax? And earlier, didnt Surtees race one? I envy you witnessing those circus meetings in the sixties. Wasn't Maurrie Low killed at the Swiss hill climb event ? I think I've seen a series of St Wendel photographs from the 60's somewhere on line..... Bernard, do you by chance have any yourself that you could put up?

Advertisement

#1300 Bernard

Bernard

• 240 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 16:08

Goodness I remember Morrie Low,the records online say it was was Freiburg in Germany 1964 .What you said about the NSU kindled something and I searched around the net. The racers were Sportmaxes (I think SMB Hailwood rode one in the 250 class once) I had the roadgoing Supermax. Photos unfortunately long gone I remember at Opatija Grassetti had a Benelli that was the centre of attention,why I had no idea so I took a pic and sent it to Motorcycle News when I got back but they never replied.Yes there are a lot of sites online St Wendel, Solitude etc .Talking of St Wendel you can have an evening looking through these

http://www.arcor.de/...eNr=10&pageNr=0