Photo

Lotus 23s in US/SCCA in 1967

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cynic

Cynic

• 158 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 15:58

As I've been converting some of my old photos I've found a number of shots of various Lotus 23s. These raced in the SCCA (amateur racing) in Texas, Louisiana, and Alabama in 1967. I think these would clog up the Lotus 23C thread, so I've set up a separate place for the photos. There are lot of variations among these cars, particularly with the wheels used.

Wick Williams:

Posted Image

John Gunn -- This one had a Datsun 2000 roadster do a barrel roll over it at Selma. Gunn was OK, but rather seriously annoyed:

Posted Image

David Bland:

Posted Image

At the 1967 ARRC at Daytona Jim Kaufmann makes a late-braking pass past W. D. Roland Jr's Merlyn into Turn One. Kaufmann's car has interesting vents on the top of the front fenders:

Posted Image

Also at the ARRC, Paul Jett is passing Bill Ashplant on the outside -- Ashplant seems to be looking on the wrong side. Several differences are obvious between these two 23s:

Posted Image

A better photo of Paul Jett's car (from Texas), which was particularly well prepared:

Posted Image

And finally, Paul Jett's transporter, a converted school bus. This was actually a reasonably inexpensive way to build a transporter for one car. We did the same thing, and had two bunks, plenty of room for tools and spares, and a roof platform. It was a good way to get car and crew to a track, and to entertain the "Jett Sett."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 22:16

Originally posted by Cynic

[A better photo of Paul Jett's car (from Texas), which was particularly well prepared:

I would think so. As memory has it, Jett won two straight class championships at the Runoffs.

#3 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 22:45

Yep
66 and 67

#4 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 23:01

One of the Kingston Trio raced a Lotus 23 on the West Coast, saw him race it at Pomoma...

#5 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 00:52

Originally posted by David M. Kane
One of the Kingston Trio raced a Lotus 23 on the West Coast, saw him race it at Pomoma...

That would likely have been Nick Reynolds. He also drove Formula B cars, a Bourgealt and later a Brabham, as I recall. Nick was the 'short' member of the Trio.

#6 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:10

Santa Barbara, too.