Photo

Alain de Cadenet

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#1 rdmotorsport

rdmotorsport

• 535 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 19:04

Someone informed of late Alain the cad had passed his 60th birthday one of life and motor sport enigmas I am sure out there they must hundreds of stories connected to this man.
I met him on a couple of occasions and actually worked on one of the cars that bore his name at Le mans I remember once keeping his very young daughter amused at Silverstone ,sweet thing she was and some 15 years later marries a pop icon and pundits a television show(the daughter Amanda not Alain)! He came from a period of good sportscar drivers or "gentleman drivers" e.g.Ian Bracey,John Lepp etc. who always claimed they worked out of "lock up" garages with budding helping hands etc. how much of this is true I do not know but perhaps you out there do.

Rodney Dodson.

Advertisement

#2 rdmotorsport

rdmotorsport

• 535 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 21:46

:cat:

#3 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 00:09

I presume everyone has seen him 'dodging' the Spitfire flown by Ray Hanna?

#4 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 04:31

Originally posted by David Birchall
I presume everyone has seen him 'dodging' the Spitfire flown by Ray Hanna?

Yes, wasn't that a hoot!

Alain is 60? There should be a law against looking so young at that age! (Wish I looked as good!)

#5 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:40

And one of the worlds experts on postage stamps.

#6 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,572 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:18

Two things immediately spring to mind:

Firstly I remember reading about an incident with Alain and Bernie Ecclestone. Alain had his delectable Alfa at the British GP and Bernie wandered passed and in a throw-away comment pointed out it had the wrong badge on the radiator! As the car had come from South America and purported to be a tractor it probably wasn't surprising! About a week later a package arrived for Alain and it was the correct badge supplied by Bernie. Alain always drove the Alfa with great panache and managed to get it at some wild angles through the corners!

Secondly there was an important photoshoot set-up for a National Newspaper of the De Cadenet Le Mans car at the circuit in France. When the photographer arrived the car was in bits with the engine out however the ever resourceful De Cadenet had the car towed out to a downhill section, put the photographer in the back of an estate car and had the Le Mans car pushed down the slope. The resultant photos made it into the paper and were stunning and all taken at less than 10 mph!

:wave:

#7 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,404 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:18

Originally posted by RA Historian
Alain is 60?

Don't worry! That will change tomorrow!;)

#8 rdmotorsport

rdmotorsport

• 535 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:30

Not that I could be jealous (never think that for a moment) but Alain the Cad deserves to be 60 because he as done so much!

#9 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:34

De Cadenet burning rubber on his B-type Connaught

Posted Image

#10 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,411 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:50

Does one of his cars still hold the Irish Land Speed Record ?

#11 Simon Taylor

Simon Taylor

• 72 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 14:05

Far be it from me to introduce a commercial note herein - and of course I know from another TNF thread that Motor Sport, poor beleaguered thing, is not everybody's favourite magazine. But some of De Cad's friends and fans may like to know that one of my "Lunch With..." articles, coming up in a couple of issues' time, is with Alain. We lunched and laughed for three hours and, although I could have happily filled three times my allotted 2500 words, and some of the best stories will have to be excised by the editor for legal reasons anyway, I hope it will amuse and entertain. He admits to being 61, by the way - born January 1945.

#12 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 14:28

Alain is very popular in the States. He works regularly for the Speed Channel covering the Barrett-Jackson Auction, The Monterey Historic and, of course, his own show on various racing marquees
which is just super.

#13 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 14:39

I thought he was most entertaining in that first Channel 4 through the night discussion group where a group incuding Doug Nye sat and discussed the series of films we had all watched ,I think it lasted over 5 hours and was in 1997.

#14 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 15:05

After finishing 3rd at Le Mans in 1976, the de Cadenet was paraded around Brands with Alain and Chris Craft waving to the large British Grand Prix crowd:

Posted Image

Of no particular interest is the fact that I believe the engine that powered some of the de Cadenet Le Mans cars (maybe even the above vehicle) was that which propelled F. Migault around 22 laps of the 1972 Austrian Grand Prix.

However, I stand to be corrected on that fact. :|

#15 Tmeranda

Tmeranda

• 605 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 15:42

What is the name of his series of TV shows various racing marquees, and are they available for purchase someplace?

#16 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 15:46

Originally posted by David M. Kane
various racing marquees
[/B]

Never heard of marquee racing - must be pretty slow :)

Or did you mean the Marquees de Portago?;)

#17 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 16:19

Originally posted by Tmeranda
What is the name of his series of TV shows various racing marquees, and are they available for purchase someplace?

The were called "Victory by Design". Don't know if they are on DVD but they are very good.

Mo.

#18 rdmotorsport

rdmotorsport

• 535 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 16:29

Dear Simon,

I will look forward to that, by the way I hope you got Alain to pay for the lunch!

Rodney.

#19 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 16:54

Originally posted by RTH
... through the night discussion group where a group incuding Doug Nye sat and discussed the series of films we had all watched, I think it lasted over 5 hours...

I watched those over and over again - those group discussions were at least as entertaining as the films! The exchange between Alain deC and DCN regarding the hue of the former's Dino was memorable.

Advertisement

#20 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 16:57

... and, of course, his own show on various racing marquees...

I assume you meant marques... a program on racing marquees might grow tedious fairly quickly!
(Unless it was extended to include awnings, tarps and other temporary hospitality units as well)
:) :)

#21 Tmeranda

Tmeranda

• 605 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 17:04

Thanks MO.

Allan and 2F neither of you is as clever as you think.

#22 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 18:16

The Langton's once told me that they had been at a race meeting (Nurburgring possibly) where Alain had an 8C Alfa (P3 or Monza) and he broke the crankshaft during his race.
Of course he had driven the car to the meeting so had no trailer.
So to get home they towed him in the Alfa - on a rope from their trailer!
All was going well until they stopped at some lights and there was a loud crash from behind, because Alain had fallen asleep...........

#23 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,920 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 18:41

Originally posted by 2F-001

I assume you meant marques... a program on racing marquees might grow tedious fairly quickly!
(Unless it was extended to include awnings, tarps and other temporary hospitality units as well)
:) :)

On the contrary, it would be quite an in-tents experience.

#24 MCS

MCS

• 4,696 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 18:56

Originally posted by Simon Taylor
...one of my "Lunch With..." articles, coming up in a couple of issues' time, is with Alain. We lunched and laughed for three hours and, although I could have happily filled three times my allotted 2500 words...

The Brian Redman article was good. The pictures, as ever, seemed odd; some lacking quality and others rather obscure - inappropriate, dare I say?

Pity you don't get more space. The Redman piece could have been even better.

I could go on, but I am so fed up wishing it (Motor Sport) would really hit the spot...

#25 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 20:01

Alain explains his theory of how to enjoy the Mille Miglia Retrospective without being arrested, to Willie Green and Anthony Bamford - Brescia 1990

Posted Image

On the start ramp in his Alfa Monza, with Mark Knopfler at the wheel

Posted Image

#26 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 20:35

Alain is very popular in the States. ................, his own show on various racing marquees

Obviously guaranteed lots of coverage

RL

#27 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 20:46

Originally posted by ensign14
On the contrary, it would be quite an in-tents experience.

I slept in a St John Ambulance tent at Becketts, once. Not quite a marquee perhaps..but then I am not familiar with the regs for marquees. What is the dividing line between the tent and marquee classes...must be a cubic capacity thing, I presume?

#28 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,920 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 20:48

According to Debrett's, a marquee outranks a tent.

#29 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 20:48

Originally posted by RTH
I thought he was most entertaining in that first Channel 4 through the night discussion group where a group incuding Doug Nye sat and discussed the series of films we had all watched ,I think it lasted over 5 hours and was in 1997.

I thought it was a brilliant concept/format. IIRC there was a Moss film in the middle of it, prompting subsequent discussions, on tape here somwhere . The programme was set up at Nick Mason's place in N London I believe. The only disappointment for me was Nigel Roebuck who seemed camera-shy, or just reluctant to chime in with trenchant views. I seem to recall DCN almost leading NSR by the nose into discussion/response situations. SCM, as one would imagine, was ever ready with lucid and expansive recollections, a natural broadcaster and de Cad held it all together so well with DCN.

The format should be repeated. Perhaps Alain and TV have just moved on

His film of his exploits on the 1990 Carrera Panamericana is also well worth seeing, again.

BTW I too look forward to ST's piece with him.

Roger Lund.

#30 MCS

MCS

• 4,696 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 21:36

Er, who is "SCM" ? :blush:

#31 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 21:41

Sir Stirling

Stirling Crauford Moss, middle name his mother's maiden name IIRC.

RL

#32 MCS

MCS

• 4,696 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 21:51

Okay :lol: I'm with you now.

Every time I see SCM, I immediately think "Supply Chain Management"... :rolleyes:
I'm programmed to think that way these days - and, accordingly (inevitably, I suppose), I'm confused!

#33 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 22:30

Originally posted by Simon Taylor
Far be it from me to introduce a commercial note herein - and of course I know from another TNF thread that Motor Sport, poor beleaguered thing, is not everybody's favourite magazine. But some of De Cad's friends and fans may like to know that one of my "Lunch With..." articles, coming up in a couple of issues' time, is with Alain. We lunched and laughed for three hours and, although I could have happily filled three times my allotted 2500 words, and some of the best stories will have to be excised by the editor for legal reasons anyway, I hope it will amuse and entertain. He admits to being 61, by the way - born January 1945.

I enjoy reading your columns very much.

DeCadenet seems like quite a character who's had an interesting and full life. I hope I get to meet him some day....

Jack

#34 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 23:04

I don't do tents...my spelling error was more likely a flashback to "The Marquee Club" in London...

BTW, in America we just call a tent a tent...but then our version of your language, well it's just so limited isn't it?

#35 rdmotorsport

rdmotorsport

• 535 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 23:10

Yeh I also blame my flashbacks on the marquee club and the twisted wheel club and the etc.etc.

#36 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,578 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 23:25

Never mind SCM, what does IIRC stand for???? :confused: :confused:

Keep seeing it on the threads, looks like it's something like 'as far as I recall', but heck, that would be AFAIR.

I'm up to speed with IMO, by the way. :up:

Rob :wave: :wave:

#37 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 23:38

IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY. :)

#38 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,578 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 23:41

Many thanks Barry!! :clap:

Oh, and by the way, I'm ok on BTW.;)

Rob :lol:

#39 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 00:12

Well... it depends on the meaning of the word IIRC really... :smoking:

As far as Alain, he is a heck of a good bloke, very knowledgeable, beyond friendly and he knows EVERYBODY of any importance in our favorite pastime.
Happy birthday Alain! May the Normands re-take over Britain... :lol:

Advertisement

#40 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:03

Originally posted by rdmotorsport
Yeh I also blame my flashbacks on the marquee club etc.etc.

Ah, halcyon days. Remember the Radio London Saturday gigs there, 66/67? Just after that, 67 IIRC, saw Pink Floyd when they started their endeavours , makes me feel old .

RL

#41 West3

West3

• 146 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 08:17

I have always thought very highly (and enviously) of Alain de Cadenet. Bumped into him a few years back at the Monterey Historics. He seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

Aside form his Le Mans entries and more recent historic racing endeavors, not to mention the Victory By Design series, I know very little of Alain, who it appears has been deeply involved in racing on many different levels for several decades, has known countless luminaries of the sport and had a generally interesting life. The guy is a good writer, he did much of the VBD series, and doubtless has a surfeit of tales to tell, so... when will we see an autobiography?

I'd like to start a petition! :up:

#42 ggnagy

ggnagy

• 261 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 13:06

Originally posted by MoMurray

The were called "Victory by Design". Don't know if they are on DVD but they are very good.

Mo.

http://www.victorybydesign.com/

Allthough, it looks like only the 1st season is available.

#43 rdmotorsport

rdmotorsport

• 535 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 20:23

To continue with the theme of Alain the Cad etc., although I am aware Alain makes a comfortable living from his stamp world which I am sure assisted him to race around the Globe although he always appeared also to have some decent backing as well and I can assume his co drivers would demand some payment for thier efforts particually people like Chris Craft who always seemed to be around the circuits driving for someone and not sure how many but at least couple of Grand Prix drives in the seventies.
Although we were still in a time of good club racers on the big stage many F5000 driver and sportscar driver would come under this banner people as well as Alain and Chris e.g. Ian Bracey plus Dorset Racing always seemed to be in Le mans and Europe with various drivers and others too can you name some?

#44 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 22:54

I recall hearing a story that the LeMans team crossed the channel free courtesy of Sealink or one of the other ferry co's.......

On arrival at the port a couple of stickers were slapped onto the race car (on a trailer I believe) and a team member (De Cad presumably) enquired where their tickets were to be collected. The tickets which were part of the 'sponsorship' deal.......

I hope the stickers stayed on for the race by way of payment.

I used to know one of the mechanics on the team, and they seem to have had many such adventures!

(and I was driven in an Invicta Low chassis S type by the man himself - great fun, and not nearly as hair raising as i'd been led to believe it'd be)

#45 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,578 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 00:15

T54 said:

Well... it depends on the meaning of the word IIRC really...

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Rob :rotfl:

#46 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:37

Originally posted by rdmotorsport
although I am aware Alain makes a comfortable living from his stamp world

Can you explain further? What do you mean when you say Stamp World?

Mo.

#47 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:39

Wasn't he the official Stamp Collector to The Queen! :eek:

#48 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:58

Don't laugh, that's how Michael Dell made his first money...he ain't done bad!

#49 Andretti Fan

Andretti Fan

• 393 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:13

"To continue with the theme of Alain the Cad etc., although I am aware Alain makes a comfortable living from his stamp world which I am sure assisted him to race around the Globe although he always appeared also to have some decent backing as well and I can assume his co drivers would demand some payment for thier efforts particually people like Chris Craft who always seemed to be around the circuits driving for someone and not sure how many but at least couple of Grand Prix drives in the seventies"

Chris Craft never raced in World Championship F1 races did he?

#50 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:27

Originally posted by Andretti Fan

Chris Craft never raced in World Championship F1 races did he?

One race; the 1971 US GP at Watkins Glen in the BT33 owned by Alain. He'd also quallified for the preceding Canadian race but failed to start.