Photo

National Film and Sound Archive - Australia

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:39

The research in to the Rothmans Films about Frank Matich in another thread and Catalina Park's use of the word archive, urged me to have a look at the NFSA website.

The archive appears to be a goldmine for Motorsport historians with access available in several capital cities, some examples below:

Episode Title No: 85505
Title: CHAMPION DRIVERS AT CIRCUIT GALA OPENING : ORAN PARK
is in title numbers:
29018 CINESOUND REVIEW. NO. 1665

Date:
Release From: 26 Sep 1963 To: -
Production From: 1963 To: -
Country of Origin: Australia
Mediums:
Moving Image (Principal)
Sub-mediums:
Film (Principal)
Class:
Newsreels/Magazines

Series:
138005 CINESOUND REVIEW

Commentator: Ken Sparkes
Copyright contact: Film World Pty Ltd
Production company: Cinesound Productions

Summary
Some of Australia's best motor racing drivers attend the gala opening of the Oran Park Raceway in Sydney. Drivers work on their cars and test the engines before racing begins. A number of races are shown including the saloon and sports car races. (01:47)

Title No: 521196
Title: [GRAND PRIX : NEW ZEALAND 1959]

Date:
Production From: 1959 To: -
Mediums:
Moving Image (Principal)
Sub-mediums:
Film (Principal)
Class:
Documentary
Sport

Copyright contact: Pacific Films New Zealand
Production company: Pacific Films New Zealand

Summary
A production of Pacific Films showing the 1959 Grand Prix motorsport in Auckland , NZ with Sterling Moss taking the checkered flag.

Website is here:

http://www.nfsa.afc....nd/screenso.nsf

P.S. there is an email address to report errors in the collection and I have already reported sterling vice stirling.

Advertisement

#2 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,734 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 04:53

I was very excited about this find, nearly 2 and a half hours of the '68 Australian Grand Prix. Unfortunately, if you are an individual you cannot access the archives unless you or a family member appeared in the production.

Title No: 51257
Title: AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX. 1968.02.25

Date:
Production From: 1968 To: -
Mediums:
Moving Image (Principal)
Sub-mediums:
Film (Principal)
Class:
Sport

Copyright contact: GTV 9 (Television Station : Melbourne, Vic.)
Production company: GTV 9 (Television Station : Melbourne, Vic.)

Summary
Aust. Grand Prix, Sandowne Race track, Melbourne Pt 1&2 Jack Brabham wins poll position; pit scenes. Won by Jim Clarke. Presentation scenes

Subjects: Art, Motor racing, Sandown Park Racecourse and Motor Racing Circuit, Jack Brabham
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Items for Title :
"AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX. 1968.02.25"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item 1 : Preservation Material, B&W Composite Release Print, Safety, 16mm, Sound, 02:24:27 @ 24fps

#3 Bernd

Bernd

• 3,313 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:11

Jim Clarke!!!!

#4 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,734 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:49

No, Jim Clarke at Sandowne.

#5 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:30

Originally posted by David Shaw
I was very excited about this find, nearly 2 and a half hours of the '68 Australian Grand Prix. Unfortunately, if you are an individual you cannot access the archives unless you or a family member appeared in the production.

Where you at Sandown that day? How can they say you were not!! ;) Seriously tho, I wonder what the criteria are for lending....an organisation like the HSRCA?? Do they really want the collection to just be preserved and gather dust?? The NFSA are quite active promoting other screenings and displays...maybe its time for some lobbying by the Motorsport community??

Sister organisations to the Film and Sound Archive which also have material that is accessible:

National Library of Australia
http://www.nla.gov.au/

Australian Archives
http://www.naa.gov.au/

I'm sure access may be granted for valid research purposes...."I'm writing a book" :)

#6 Leo D

Leo D

• 426 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 07:06

Originally posted by Bernd
Jim Clarke!!!!

Ah yes..... Kind of reminds me of when the local daily papers reported on Jack O'Malleys drive in the Alfa at the 1980 AGP at Calder....

#7 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 07:16

Originally posted by Leo D

Ah yes..... Kind of reminds me of when the local daily papers reported on Jack O'Malleys drive in the Alfa at the 1980 AGP at Calder....

They did so , with plenty of pic's..................

#8 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 07:34

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 275 GTB-4
[B]

Where you at Sandown that day? How can they say you were not!! ;) Seriously tho, I wonder what the criteria are for lending....an organisation like the HSRCA?? Do they really want the collection to just be preserved and gather dust??

Well i was there that day , still have the tickets in my collection... Have you ever heard of the Federal Privacy Act which covers such collection.....

#9 John Ellacott

John Ellacott

• 160 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 08:29

I have just obtained from the ABC video recordings of the Warwick Farm rounds of the 1968 and 1969Tasman Cup together with the 1963 Australian Grand Prix also held at Warwick Farm. These will be shown contiuously over next weekends Tasman Revival at Eastern Creek in Tasman Experience marquee. All in glorious black and white of cource and the whole circuit covered by just a few cameras but terrific stuff Don"t miss it and come and say hello. :wave:

#10 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,056 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 21:49

Originally posted by Bernd
Jim Clarke!!!!

But Brabham won poll position...

I'll be there Sunday, John.

#11 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,768 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:21

Originally posted by Ray Bell
But Brabham won poll position...

Well, I voted for him. :cool:

#12 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:11

Browsing the collection, I found some mistakes, simple things like Sir Stirling Moss being catalogued as Sterling. An email sent via the website produced a swift response and a promise to correct all instances of Sterling. It would be nice to see an accurate error free collection left for our grandkids (hint, hint  ;) )

#13 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 525 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 03:39

Originally posted by John Ellacott
I have just obtained from the ABC video recordings of the Warwick Farm rounds of the 1968 and 1969Tasman Cup together with the 1963 Australian Grand Prix also held at Warwick Farm. These will be shown contiuously over next weekends Tasman Revival at Eastern Creek in Tasman Experience marquee. All in glorious black and white of cource and the whole circuit covered by just a few cameras but terrific stuff Don"t miss it and come and say hello. :wave:

John, I think I viewed the 68 'Farm race on the screen and it was great. As you say only a few cameras, but they seem to cover all the action, plus you got a real perspective of the speed from that panned camera located on the start/finish straight.

Noted that your name was on the DVD cover but I didn't see you around (this was Sunday and there was much to see.) A couple of questions though:
1) Who were the ABC commentators
2) Is there are any chance any of this stuff will be packaged into a commercial DVD?
3) Is this likely to (or already have?) turn up on ABC2's Late Night Legends?

Mick, geting back to the subject matter, I recall visiting the National Archives back in 2003 and found it difficult to uncover much at all! Maybe it was just me?

The National Library was much better.

Paul

#14 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,734 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 03:56

The '68 Warwick Farm Tasman race appeared in Series 1 of LNL on ABC2. It may turn up as a DVD release, as I believe that Chevron have already produced a DVD of Touring Car races from 1970? that appeared in Series 1. At this site: http://www.throughth...Motorsport.html they have Golden Age of Motor Sport Volume 4 which has the Warwick Farm and Surfer's Paradise Tasman rounds from 1968. These were recorded for Alec Mildren and are in colour.

#15 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:14

Originally posted by Paul Newby
Mick, geting back to the subject matter, I recall visiting the National Archives back in 2003 and found it difficult to uncover much at all! Maybe it was just me?

The National Library was much better.

Paul

Paul....when I did my search, I stuck my tongue firmly into my right cheek....that might have been the difference :cat:

All three national suppositories (National Film and Sound Archive, National Library and Australian Archives) have their little gems.....you just have to have the time and patience to explore them...it helps to think like a cataloguer as well.

I also have most of the Late Night Legends stuff and appreciate what Aunty has done for all of us Motorsport nuts :)

PS repositories is such a bland word....I like the one I used better!

#16 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 525 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 22:52

Thanks Mick for your advice. I don't have ABC2 so haven't seen Late Night Legends. (Do you have them on tape?) As much as I'm keen on the Golden Age of Motor Sport DVDS they are a bit expensive, so I don't have those either...!

Maybe I will have to start collecting ....

#17 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:11

I think (nope, I know! this is a goldmine for Aussie Motorsport researchers and fans!!)

Content Title No: 118795
Title: MOVIETONE NEWS. VOL. 24 NO. 12. SPORTING HIGHLIGHTS. [CAR RACING]
is in title numbers:
52895 , MOVIETONE NEWS. A1232-A1233
262008 , [OPERATION NEWSREEL. NO. 021 : IN-HOUSE ...
Title Type: Title
Date:
Release From: 19 Feb 1990 To:
Production From: 1953 To:
Mediums:
Moving Image (Principal)
Sub-mediums:
Film (Principal)
Summary
Newsreel item from 1953 about the monthly car racing meeting at the Mount Druitt Grand Prix Racing Track. Tom Sulman, the oldest contestant in the race, is shown looking over his car's engine before the race. The race is shown in progress and is won by Jack Brabham, who is shown after the race. (02:28-3:17)
Subjects: 1953, Motor cars, Motor racing, Mt Druitt (NSW), Jack Brabham

and

Content Title No: 273517
Title: 150 MILE GRAND PRIX AT BATHURST ON EASTER MONDAY APRIL 10TH 1939...
is in title numbers:
273511 , [MOTORCYCLE AND CAR RACING, BATHURST]
Date:
Production From: 1939 To:
Mediums:
Moving Image (Principal)
Sub-mediums:
Film (Principal)
Class:
Home movies/recordings
Summary
Shows a sports car race from fixed positions on the track. The winner was a J.O. Sherwood in a time of 2 hrs 42m 26secs.
Subjects: 1930s, Bathurst (N.S.W.), Motor cars, Motor racing

and

Episode Title No: 130783
Title: FIRST MEETING AT NEW RACE CIRCUIT : KATOOMBA, N.S.W.
is in title numbers:
64114 , MOVIETONE NEWS. A1804, A1805
263384 , [OPERATION NEWSREEL. NO. 096 : IN-HOUSE ...
Date:
Release From: 16 Feb 1961 To:
Mediums:
Moving Image (Principal)
Sub-mediums:
Film (Principal)
Class:
Newsreels/Magazines
Series:
138008, MOVIETONE NEWS
Commentator: R. Connelly
Production company: Fox Movietone (Australia)
Summary
Newsreel item from 1961 showing the first meeting at a new racing circuit at Catalina Park, Katoomba, N.S.W. Crowds line the route which Jack Brabham helped map out. Ray Walmsley from Newcastle wins the race. (10:09-10:56)

#18 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,056 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:55

Here we go again...

Wamsley!

Paul... you might ask Catalina Park that question.

#19 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:17

Dear Mick
Your email regarding accessing our collection has reached me via Roslyn
Barker.

Viewing access material is certainly possible either here in Canberra or in
any of our State Offices/Access Centres.

If you could please let me know where you are located, I will make
arrangements for a viewing.

I should inform you though, unfortunately only one of the three items you
have mentioned in your correspondence with Roslyn is classified as an
'Access' item. It is a newsreel and is I believe, quite short, but is
available to view. A summary of the newsreel is as follows:

Newsreel item from 1970 about the 100 mile Tasman series motor race at
Warwick Farm, Sydney.

New Zealanders Graham Lawrence and Graham McRae and Australians Kevin
Bartlett and Frank Matich are shown in their racing cars before the event. The cars race
around the circuit and KevinBartlett wins. Jack Brabham presents a trophy to him.

The other two items are classified as 'Preservation' items and are
therefore inaccessible.

The costs involved with viewing material are as follows:

$21.50 per hour (first hour free) or
$108.00 per day (9am - 5pm)

As an archive we are primarily concerned with preserving our collections
and making them available for research on our premises. Copying services
are prioritised for the film, television and recorded sound production
sectors and a variety of scholarly and educational interests.

Unfortunately we are unable to provide copies of collection items for
personal use, unless a direct personal connection such as an appearance or
performance by a family member can be shown.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Kind regards

Anne Colquhoun
Reference Service Officer
Collection Access
National Film and Sound Archive
McCoy Circuit, Acton Canberra ACT 2601
Tel: 02 6248 2005
www.nfsa.afc.gov.au

The National Film and Sound Archive collects, preserves and provides access
to Australia's historic and contemporary moving image and recorded sound
culture. We are part of the Australian Film Commission.

Advertisement

#20 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:22

Here we go again...

Wamsley!

Paul... you might ask Catalina Park that question.

Plse send notification of errors or errors of fact to:

olccorrections@nfsa.afc.gov.au

#21 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 02:09

55373 , MOVIETONE NEWS. A1558 ; A1559
262153 , [OPERATION NEWSREEL. NO. 042 : IN-HOUSE ...
Mediums:
Moving Image (Principal)
Sub-mediums:
Film (Principal)
Summary
Newsreel item from 1957 showing highlights of the N.S.W. Championship Hill Climb at Silverdale. Members of the Vintage Sport Car Club compete in the event. Derek Jolly in a Decca, Bill Reynolds in a Lotus and Lex Davison in a Cooper Vincent drive from the starting point and up the steep hill course. Lex Davison wins the Hill Climb and is shown in his car after the race. (09:11-10:32)
Subjects: 1950s, Associations, Competitions, Motor cars, Motor racing, Racing car drivers, Silverdale (N.S.W.), Vintage cars, Lex Davison

Episode Title No: 134382
Title: BRABHAM WINS AUST. GRAND PRIX : WARWICK FARM
is in title numbers:
MOVIETONE NEWS. A1966, A1967
(OPERATION NEWSREEL. NO. 130 : IN-HOUSE ...
Date:
Release From: 14 Feb 1963 To: -
Production From: 1963 To: -
Mediums:
Moving Image (Principal)
Sub-mediums:
Film (Principal)
Class:
Newsreels/Magazines
Series:
MOVIETONE NEWS
Commentator: David Low
Summary
Shows some highlights of the 27th Australian Grand Prix at Warwick Farm. Stirling Moss, Graham Hill and Jack Brabham, are shown before the race. The lead changes hands several times during the race with Jack Brabham eventually taking the chequered flag from Surtees and McLaren. (02:02)

55372 , CINESOUND REVIEW. NO. 1402
262296 , [OPERATION NEWSREEL. NO. 050 : IN-HOUSE ...
Mediums:
Moving Image (Principal)
Sub-mediums:
Film (Principal)
Summary
Newsreel item from 1958 showing the finish of the Mobilgas Round Australia Car Trial in Melbourne. (00:01-02:03) A large crowd of people line the streets in Melbourne to watch the finish of the Mobilgas Round Australia Car Trial. A Volkswagen car, sponsored by Mobilgas and driven by Canberra driver, Greg Cusack, is first to cross the finish line. A woman embraces Cusack as he stands beside the car. Cusack and his navigator, Lawless, are declared provisional winners and are shown holding bottles of champagne as they are driven in a victory parade through the crowded streets. Young boys are shown watching the parade from the branches of a tree. Eddie Perkins, the outright winner of the race, is greeted by a woman after he crosses the finishing line.

Subjects: 1958, Boys, Competitions, Crowds, Melbourne (Vic.), Mobilgas Round Australia Trial, Motor racing, Trees, Volkswagen (Automobile), Wine, Women

#22 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 14:09

Now why don't they put the highlights of all this material on to DVD so that we can all see it .

Would Motorfilms Quarterly (David Weguelin and Doug Nye ) be able to in some way license some of this material and issue it that way ? Motor sport 50 years old is always going to be interesting.

#23 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 00:10

Originally posted by RTH

1. Now why don't they put the highlights of all this material on to DVD so that we can all see it .

2. Would Motorfilms Quarterly (David Weguelin and Doug Nye ) be able to in some way license some of this material and issue it that way ? Motor sport 50 years old is always going to be interesting.

1. I could try....will you come and visit me in the lock-up :wave:

2. Something like this may work...although I would much rather see an Australian entity take this one by the throat.

3. I have asked the question of the sales dept :)

By way of example:

Redex Round Australia Car Trials 1953, 54 and 55 (DVD version)

Released July 2004
Rated G
[DVD 4:3 PAL format - $34.95]

The Redex Reliability Car Trials of the early 1950s are forever etched into Australia's motoring history - they captured the nation's imagination then and still do today. Share the adventures and dangers encountered by the drivers as they covered some of the toughest roads in the country. The story is told with newsreels, home movies, photographs, newspapers and interviews. Also available on video.

To buy online: product 3722
To Buy Over the Phone - Freecall 1800 677 609

Ampol Car Trials 1956, 1957, 1958

Released July 2004
Rated E
[DVD 4:3 PAL format - $34.95]

Frustration, resentment and defiance - all these played a part in the birth of the Ampol Car Trials. Hear the stories from behind the wheel, with modern day interviews from the drivers. Archival footage and sound recordings of the day bring these controversial and exciting trials to life.

To buy online: product 3723
To Buy Over the Phone - Freecall 1800 677 609

#24 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 525 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:25

Mick

Our local library had a copy of (I think) the Ampol Car Trials which I borrowed a little while ago. It was quite interesting as they interviewed a few surviving competitors for their reminisces.

I think they also had a small segment on the 1970 trial as well.

#25 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:20

Originally posted by Paul Newby
Mick

Our local library had a copy of (I think) the Ampol Car Trials which I borrowed a little while ago. It was quite interesting as they interviewed a few surviving competitors for their reminisces.

I think they also had a small segment on the 1970 trial as well.

Thanks Paul....a lot of this stuff would have found its way out on the street via inter-library loans etc.

I'm just happy to highlight the fact there is a wealth of Motor Racing history available in the one place (obviously, not the only place).

(PS watched a Late Night Legends last nite....Max Brunninghausen pushing the TZ-2 around the farm in 1968 :cool: )

#26 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,056 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:36

Originally posted by 275 GTB-4
.....(PS watched a Late Night Legends last nite....Max Brunninghausen pushing the TZ-2 around the farm in 1968)

Felt like a bit of a sleep, did you?

#27 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:32

Felt like a bit of a sleep, did you?

Faaaar.... from it Razor old son.....quite entertaining, especially with Neil Allen and Frank Matich doing their best....it brought back a lot of great memories (which is outstanding given the state of my brain these days :rotfl: )

Nuggett Coombs was at his finest calling Bob Holden 17 different names :blush:

It was also interesting to see the number of Marshals who just skipped back and forth across a hot track throughout the races....makes you wonder how many got skittled.

#28 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,056 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 19:11

None... never heard of that happening...

I was referring to Max in my previous comment.

#29 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 22:34

None... never heard of that happening...

I was referring to Max in my previous comment.

Good to hear no Marshals skittled....hot recoveries etc....fraught with danger : I have seen a few recent ones that worked quite well, snatch straps make things easy.

I knew you were talking about Max, just didn't want to start another bagging session of one of our drivers. I happen to admire what Max does in the B8 (a lot!!)......still don't know how he gets into the damn thing so easily. The TZ was being driven on the limit from what I saw....what more do you want??? :up:

#30 JBE

JBE

• 52 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 13:25

Really interesting information contained in this thread - many thanks for al those posts which will be followed up for Jack Brabham.

We were recently sent some old footage from the Ampol days, really interesting to see parts of Sydney back at that time - that particular footage on the Ampol ads nearly ended up at the tip! We were also send some footage of Fangio and Jack Brabham from 1978 - amazing stuff.

Many thanks to all those posts.

#31 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 23:54

Gail? I hope you have offered copies of these treasures to the National Film and Sound Archive :up:

#32 JBE

JBE

• 52 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 00:19

Yes, it is Gail.

We have it all on DVD but some is very "scratchy" and will sort through. It is amazing what people throw out!

#33 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 00:28

Originally posted by JBE
Yes, it is Gail.

We have it all on DVD but some is very "scratchy" and will sort through. It is amazing what people throw out!

Welcome BTW, the NFSA has conservators and media wizards who can remove scratches etc....look what they did to the lost Kelly Gang movie footage, and I was not suggesting you give away any marketing rights etc just asking if you are passing stuff found onto the NFSA for preservation....all Australians should be doing so for future generations (sheesh, I should be on a NFSA retainer :lol: )

#34 JBE

JBE

• 52 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 00:39

These were Ampol advertisements made by Jack - I will go through it again to check the full content.

Please give me the details for the Government body you mention on a post or PM. Thanks

#35 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 00:47

Great stuff....Sir Jack also did adverts for Goodyear Tyres AFAIR....they are probably still floating around somewhere.

Website is here:

http://www.nfsa.afc....nd/screenso.nsf

P.S. there is an email address to report errors in the collection and I have already reported sterling vice stirling. Plse send notification of errors or errors of fact to:

olccorrections@nfsa.afc.gov.au

#36 JBE

JBE

• 52 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 08:52

Many thanks for the info on NFSA - via their online search I was able to find a heap of film material which the Brabham family may like. That reference has saved me hours of work as I would not have known where to start. :D

#37 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 13:22

Originally posted by JBE
Many thanks for the info on NFSA - via their online search I was able to find a heap of film material which the Brabham family may like. That reference has saved me hours of work as I would not have known where to start. :D

Too easy Gail...but don't forget:

Sister organisations to the Film and Sound Archive which also have surprising material that is accessible:

National Library of Australia
http://www.nla.gov.au/

Australian Archives
http://www.naa.gov.au/

BTW I think I am right in saying Sir Jack was advertising Goodyear tyres on a wet pedestrian crossing (unfortunately) at the same time the NSW Highway Patrol were refusing to drive their Goodyear shod patrol cars due to safety concerns (I was not real happy with JB at that time....obviously a commercial decision...all better now :) )

#38 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:03

Heres one to discuss....I think its just mis-named....possibly the first races at Spendale Park track???

Title No: 15798
Title: [FIRST VICTORIAN MOTOR CAR RACES]

Date:
Production From: 23 Feb 1924 To: -
Mediums:
Moving Image (Principal)
Sub-mediums:
Film (Principal)
Class:
Actuality and unedited footage/recordings
Sub-Class:
Silent film

Copyright contact: Walter S. Heard
Production company: Malbek

Summary
Shots of the first Victorian motor races held at Spendale Park track on the 23rd of February 1924 include: Sporting Lizzies; C. Thomas, the champion speed king beside his Norton motorbike, and various motor races. (02:45)

#39 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,056 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:20

From memory (I don't have Terry Walker's book handy!) the first races at Aspendale were ealier than that...

Advertisement

#40 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 00:56

Content Title No: 119407
Title: 2 DIE IN SMASH : SOUTH PACIFIC SPEED CAR CHAMPIONSHIPS
is in title numbers:
53727 CINESOUND REVIEW. Number 1214
262029 [OPERATION NEWSREEL. NO. 028 : IN-HOUSE ...

Mediums:
Moving Image (Principal)
Sub-mediums:
Film (Principal)

Summary
Newsreel item from 1955 showing part of the South Pacific Motor Racing Championships at Gnoo Blas Racing Circuit in Orange, N.S.W. in which a racing driver and a spectator were killed. (04:40-07:24) Thousands of people gather at Gnoo Blas Racing Circuit in Orange, N.S.W. to watch drivers from Australia and England compete in the South Pacific Motor Racing Championships. Prince Bira of Siam, who had to withdraw from the race because of mechanical trouble, sits in his racing car and removes his helmet. Cars and drivers line up on the track and a starter flags them away to begin the race. Watched by spectators lining the route, drivers negotiate sharp bends and reach speeds of up to 140 m.p.h. At Connaghhan's Corner, Ian Mountain, a driver from Victoria, loses control of his car and crashes through a barrier into a group of spectators watching the race. Shocked onlookers sitting on a fence are shown. A race official waves a flag to warn other drivers of the crash as an ambulance races to the scene of the accident. One spectator, James Young of Victoria, is killed instantly and many others are injured. Ian Mountain, the driver, died from severe head injuries in the ambulance on the way to hospital. A flashback shows Mountain driving the Gnoo Blas Handicap. At the crash site, pit crew sift through the wreckage. The race continues and Whitehead, an English driver in a Ferrari, wins the race from Jack Brabham and Tony Gaze.

Subjects: 1955, Accidents, Crowds, Death, Engineers, English, Ferrari automobile, Flags, Gnoo Blas Racing Circuit (Orange, N.S.W.), Injuries, Motor racing, Peter Whitehead, Jack Brabham

#41 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:07

Episode Title No: 85869
Title: NEW RACE TRACK : SANDOWN'S OPENING MEETING
is in title numbers:
29104 CINESOUND REVIEW. NO. 1756
265808 [OPERATION NEWSREEL. NO. 138 : IN-HOUSE ...

Date:
Release From: 24 Jun 1965 To: -
Production From: 1965 To: -
Mediums:
Moving Image (Principal)
Sub-mediums:
Film (Principal)
Class:
Newsreels/Magazines

Series:
138005 CINESOUND REVIEW

Commentator: Phil Haldeman
Production company: Cinesound Productions

Summary
Shows the official opening of the Sandown Park Racecourse and Motor Racing Circuit, Victoria, in 1965. Presiding over the ceremony is the Premier of Victoria, Sir Henry Edward Bolte, who is accompanied by the State Governor, Sir Rohan Delacombe. (00:50)

Subjects: 1965, Ceremonies, Racecourses (Horse racing), Sandown Park Racecourse and Motor Racing Circuit, Henry Bolte, Rohan Delacombe

#42 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,734 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:19

That would be the opening meeting for the nag drags. The motor racing circuit had been in use for a couple of years by 1965.

#43 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,056 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:36

Indeed... we have pics on this forum from the first International meeting, February 1962.

You'll find them if you search for 'Daigh' and 'Scarab'... and 'Ellacott'... of course...

#44 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 02:10

Originally posted by David Shaw
That would be the opening meeting for the nag drags. The motor racing circuit had been in use for a couple of years by 1965.

David...are you saying that Sandown was first used for motor racing?....then the gee gees followed later??

#45 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 02:18

Sorry for intruding, but what you are saying is very correct..

#46 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,056 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 02:37

Yes, the horse track was still in preparation (though it looked finished!) when motor racing started there...

The grandstand was finished, the rails were in place, there was grass and gardens everywhere and the carparks were nice. But horses still didn't get a go yet.

#47 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 02:46

Ray, and i still belive it is an excellent spectator venue.

#48 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,056 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 02:57

Of course it is... especially if you can get a good spot close enough to watch cars coming down the hill into Dandenong Road...

#49 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:28

Of course it is... especially if you can get a good spot close enough to watch cars coming down the hill into Dandenong Road...

Yes, i have many fond memories of that track section with AF2 & F5000 of the 1970'S.

#50 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:39

Content Title No: 289207
Title: FERRARI 'LM250' WINS ROTHMANS 12-HOUR : SURFERS PARADISE
is in title numbers:
289200 MOVIETONE NEWS. A2363, A2364 : [NO. 1]
289211 MOVIETONE NEWS. A2363, A2364 : [NO. 2]

Date:
Release From: 7 Sep 1967 To: -
Production From: 1967 To: -
Mediums:
Moving Image (Principal)
Sub-mediums:
Film (Principal)
Class:
Newsreels/Magazines

Series:
138008 MOVIETONE NEWS