Photo

Geoff Sykes - the father of Australian racing?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Bosworth

Joe Bosworth

• 687 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 08:10

With the Tasman Revival meeting coming up in a few days at Eastern Creek, New South Wales it seems like a good time to finish something that I started to do about a year and a half ago. That is to put the role of one Geoffrey Sykes into what I believe is a proper perspective.

To make things easy, I believe Geoff needs to be recognised as the Father of modern day racing in Australia.

I was lucky enough to be sent to Australia on business after a number of years of rather successful racing in the US and at a very interesting time for Australian racing.
I arrived in Sydney, specifically Parramatta at the very beginning of the 1960’s.

By then the US had gone through its metamorphosis, or at least in respect to road race circuits, though the pro vs amateur battle hadn’t even begun, let alone being settled. At that point in time General Curtis LeMay could be reasonably be seen as the saviour of US racing through his making SAC military airfields available as the public road venues died as a result of the disasters Lemans and elsewhere including both Italy and the US. Thanks to the foresight and efforts of Cameron Argetsinger and Cliff Tufte the first of the purpose built circuits were established and with those the future of US road racing assured in the public and corporate psyche.

Circa 1960 road racing in Australia was many years behind other parts of the world in regard to facilities. For the most part racing was held in relatively remote locations, on marginal circuits and with pretty primitive facilities for the public. Racing was supported by the enthusiast racer, a handful of wealthy drivers and a few drivers of obvious skill all lightly supported by the donation of tins of fuel and hands full of spark plugs by a few businesses. The fans were there but they had to put up with a lot including trench toilets and barest of food facilities, let alone places to do other than stand at a fence all day. The circuits themselves were largely bumpy and corrugated and sometimes dangerously cambered, Con Rod Straight comes immediately to mind. This may sound harsh but those were different days to those known to most followers of today’s racing.

And then along came the Australian Jockey Club, Geoff Sykes and Warwick Farm.

I was never privy to the private discussions of the beginnings but they were generally believed to follow the following.

The AJC owned and ran three horserace tracks in Sydney, all very nice facilities but under-utilised as each had their appointed season with races, spectators and more importantly, revenue. At any given time 2/3 were making no money. I don’t know who the bright spark was and if anyone does please speak up before it is too late, but somebody said lets do what they do at places like Aintree in England and set up car racing facilities for the off horseracing season.

Another bright spark had the sense to find Geoff Sykes who at the time was running car racing at Oulton Park in the UK. Geoff had the good sense to see a good thing when given the opportunity and what a good thing it was for Australia. And besides the sun usually shines.

Geoff came out, set up the Australian Automobile Racing Club as a benevolent fiefdom rather than a sporting club, constructed the track around and through the horse racing track and we were on our glorious way.

First of all, the fans couldn’t believe what was happening to them. Driving down the four lane Hume Highway-Liverpool Road from home to track, usually only minutes or parts of an hour away, up to a paved drive way with flowers and trees, to sit in stands including the main covered grandstand to protect one from the sun or occasional rain. Permanent flushing toilet facilties and eating places suitable for ladies and gentlemen’s use at horse races.

The public obviously couldn’t believe their good luck. One of the first race meetings after word got around had more than 100,000 spectators on a day of plus 100 degrees.
It was said that the traffic jam started somewhere east of Strathfield. I don’t know for sure as I came in the back way through Yennora. I suspect that the AJC made back their full investment in that one day alone.

To say that Geoff ran a tight ship is an understatement indeed. Races started to publish times. Timing sheets were immediately available to all competitors hot off the press. A professional operation permeated race meetings with Geoff ever the gentleman in control and always dressed as a suitable gentleman would. He was more than ably supported by Mary Packard and John Strange, full time employees of the AARC.

An indication of how Geoff ran things can be seen after one race meeting in which Charley Smith, Dave Walker and I had a particularly good race with the three of us disputing first place by passing and re-passing up to three times a lap, as you could at the Farm which was particularly free flowing. You could set up a pass at the Causeway that might not be consummated until Grandstand Corner or later.

The following Tuesday the mail came with prize money. Rather than the expected 18 pounds ten there was a cheque for 37 pounds. A phone call to Geoff was made to point out the obvious error. His reply was that the crowd loved the race and the prize was worthy of all of that. Lest you sniff, the average wage of the day for a tradesman wad something like 13 pound 5 and hap penny.

Why bring this up now you say?

Well Geoff Sykes and his NZ counter part Ron Frost were the real forces behind the Tasman Series. I don’t know who led but it seemed that Ron represented all of the NZ promoters and Geoff did the same for the Australian group. He/they were responsible for bringing the internationals out and for their well being while out here. That the internationals almost tripped over one another to come year after year says it all. I suspect that Geoff led the way in getting them based on his Oulton Park history and relationships.

Quite simply, the quality of facilities, the running of meetings and the relationship that Geoff had with competitors brought racing into the open. The Tasman Series brought us to the world stage and from there corporate support and sponsorship flowed.

Would it have happened without Geoff?? Maybe, but surely much slower and probably at a lower level given the level to which he raised the bar almost overnight.

I am an un-ashamed Sykes fan and I would like to share one high point.

I don’t remember the year of this Tasman meeting but I was a part of a crowd that, after Saturday practice, usually would retire over to under the gum tees at the north side of the paddock, light a fire, cook sausages and drink copious quantities of beer. The group was led by Harry Howard of Howard and Sons Racing (and fireworks but, that is another story. Whoever heard of Australian bringing fireworks to London, let alone China? His son Syd!) The fact that Harry had no hand on one side and missing digits on the never stopped him from driving sideways in his Simca Aronde. It is said that Harry helped support many a budding driving star but that may be another story.

Anyway, there we were, dusking falling fast and we into it. There was certainly Harry and Gwen, Syd and Les, Kevin B and girlfriend, Doug Chivas and several others. I noticed out of the corner of my eye Geoff slowly making his way over to our group. I supposed it was to suggest that we could start home any time which might have been quite a burden as there was still much to consume and we drove more carefully DWI pre-breathaliser.

Anyway Geoff said g’day in his usual proper English way, tapped me on the shoulder and motioned for me to follow him. The AARC kept a small caravan at the start finish line for Geoff, John and particularly Mary to work from. This was also Geoff’s inner sanctum. Getting to the trailer, there was Mary turning crank on the printing machine for starting grids. Back in those days printing such things was a laborious art.

In the back of the trailer there was Jimmy Clark. Jimmy, being the professional probably didn’t want to get caught in the Saturday night drinking meal down the road at Sid’s Restaurant on the banks of Prospect Creek at Lansdowne Bridge. But he was thirsty and talkative. Jimmy, Geoff and I finished the evening over a further beer or so in the inner sanctum. A memorable moment indeed. I didn’t keep count but Jimmy and I probably had a few more than either Geoff or Mary.

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,218 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 20:36

Ahhh... can of worms time!

David McKinney will undoubtedly tell us that Ron Frost did it all, that Geoff was along for the ride. And to a degree, that is true.

"Ron Frost insists that he do the negotiating," Geoff used to tell us when we visited him in his city office during our lunchtimes. The relationship was sometimes strained, I believe, but Geoff was certainly in there bartering for what he thought was best.

"Sandown Park just go along with the New Zealanders, Lakeside and Longford don't know any better. What chance have I got?" he would say.

All the same, there was sometimes a special treat for us at the 'Farm. Like Graham Hill being added to the mix in the FVA Lotus in 1967.

I owe a great deal to this man. For five years I stood in the very best place at that circuit to enjoy the racing. I earned my keep, of course, I waved flags and spread cement dust and picked up rocks thrown onto the circuit. Pushed an occasional car. But I saw the best of it. Time after time.

We did. of course, have to drive most of a lap to get to our flag point. My partner there was Bob Levett, he had a Chrysler Royal. V8. We didn't muck around driving to our flag points, either, though we tried to retain some decorum.

One meeting Bob spun the Chrysler in the esses, to the cheers of the swelling crowd, of course. He sweated. "What will Geoffrey think? What will Geoffrey say?"

Two days later we dropped into the office. "Oh Bob," Geoff asked, "you drive a Chrysler Royal, don't you?"

"Yes..."

"Oh, I thought it was you. I believe you got it a bit out of shape in the esses the other day, is that right?"

"Yes..."

"Just checking."

No remonstration, not penalty. Geoff was just checking.

Geoffrey Percival Frederick Sykes... he told us his full name one day. Because we asked. Great man, there's absolutely no question of that.

More later...

#3 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 21:53

Thanks Ray - you saved me the trouble :lol:
There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that Geoff Sykes was The Man as far as the Australian half of the Tasman series was concerned, and I'm sure he guided Frosty's thoughts to a certain extent.
I guess the negotiating ball tended to be more in the NZ court for two reasons - one, we'd been doing it longer, and two, Mr Frost retained business interests in England and returned each year at his own expense, which would have represented a huge saving in travel costs (for both countries). Also, as a member of the FIA, he got to attend enough of the big meeetings each year to continue negotations over a period of weeks as necessary

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,218 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 22:22

Okay, having sorted that... and mentioning that I think it was Goodwood or Aintree where Geoff ran things for the BARC, not Oulton Park (though I could be wrong)...

Geoff was such a gentleman. I think you can see that by the way his staff were so loyal too. Mary Packard, who had not so much as heard or seen a racing car before October 1960, was with him all the way though.

From the first Warwick Farm meeting through to the very last AARC event, which I think was the last of the Mileage Marathons. She ran the whole deal singlehandedly after the Warwick Farm thing went belly-up, working for the Club full time on part time wages under such luminaries as Archie White. And until Geoff's demise, he was always there.

The sad thing is that both Geoff and Mary are now gone. John Stranger is still about, though. He left the AARC (the Company, that is, not the Club) when the AJC pulled the pin in 1973 and went on to work for the crowd who run the Sydney Motor Show.

All of the people... the heads of the various official departments like the flaggies, the scrutineers and so on, they were all totally loyal because they saw that what Geoff was doing was right. They all remained with him from beginning to end.

Geoff used to walk about on race day as if he had nothing to do, and sometimes someone would stop him and say, "Don't you have anything to do? Don't you have to run the race meeting?"

His response was simple. "If I had anything to do now, then that would mean I wouldn't have done my job before the meeting, wouldn't it?"

We'll leave his battles with CAMS for another time...

#5 Head Rev

Head Rev

• 30 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 23:47

I was flagging at Amaroo Park when the AARC were running meetings there in the period 76 - '79. Mary Packard was running them at the time. My recollections were that of a beautiful lady, who cared for the 'workers'. I had heard of Geoff Sykes and could see his work continue through Mary.

#6 Joe Bosworth

Joe Bosworth

• 687 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:41

Guys

It was never my intention to raise the hackles of trans-Tasman rivalry; I have no idea of the relative pecking order between Geoff and Ron. Anyone knowledgeable of detail has a chance to come forward.

However, my intention in starting this was to highlight the role of Geoff Sykes in bringing Australian racing into the "modern age". For sure Ron Frost played no part in bringing a civilised and efficient race scene to Australia. Geoff and his team were those responsible for running a good show at an outstanding venue. In fact it seems to me that there are still organisers here that have something to learn.

Ray, I must admit that at the time I understood that Geoff came from a background of Aintree, but I have another more recent source that advises Oulton. Frankly Aintree makes more sense as it also was a horse track with a car track intertwined. If I was the AJC of the time an Aimntee background is what I would have hired. Aintree also makes more sense as by that time Aintree had already held Grand Prix(S?) and Geoff would have been on regular commercial and personal terms with the F1 drivers of the day who ended up in the Tasman Series. I am sure that they felt as we do that Geoff was a delight to do business with and would be more than willing to engage him in business.

I would be more than interested to hear any stories of how Warwick Farm ended up with the configuration that it had. Was this a Sykes thing? It certainly provided a good balance between being a car circuit and a driver circuit. Having Hume Straight starting with a fast corner and finishing with the only really slow corner on the track is a formula for passing written about today. The Esses were not much chop for passing but they did allow someone with a good setup and willingness to position the car a chance to turn good lap times. The Causeway was interesting and a good exit speed essential. The other corners were all fast and benefitted the good driver.

For the spectator, there were no bad spots.

Regards

#7 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,218 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:11

It was a strongly held view of Geoff's that a circuit needed to have its slowest corner at the end of its fastest straight... and he achieved that.

I've read that Jack Brabham had some input into the design of the layout, but I have no idea whether it's true or not. That said, once you look at the available area, and once you put the long straight with a fast entry in place ending at a slow corner, the circuit almost designed itself.

Except for the Causeway, of course, which did add some much-needed length into the lap. Where it really excelled was in placing a fast ess bend into the severe braking area at the Causeway.

And, to add yet another 'Geoffrey' story:

Just before his death at Bathurst, Warwick Farm ran a Tom Sulman Trophy race to honour the 70+ year old driver. Commenting on Tom's age, Geoff said to us, "In 1955 I saw him at Goodwood (or was it Aintree? Silverstone?) and I thought to myself, 'Surely they're not going to let that old man race!', and here it is fifteen years later and I'm letting him race."

I have lots of Geoffrey stories. He was a great guy, if you're lucky I'll snare the pics that were used in a 1964/5 Racing Car News interview and post them on this thread.

Just put 'Calathumpian' in search for another story.

#8 Leo D

Leo D

• 426 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:00

There is a brief interview done with him at Warwick Farm on The Racing Geoghegans DVD

#9 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,218 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 16:06

The thought just occurred to me... as thoughts do at 3:05am sometimes...

What do the names Jim Sullivan and Brian Muir have in common when linked with Geoff Sykes?

#10 seldo

seldo

• 2,600 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 00:56

Originally posted by Ray Bell
The thought just occurred to me... as thoughts do at 3:05am sometimes...

What do the names Jim Sullivan and Brian Muir have in common when linked with Geoff Sykes?

Ermmm...beneficiaries of the Driver to Europe program..?

#11 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,218 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:42

Dead right, David...

I was moved to comment on this when I spotted a plea in an AMS from 1962 in the wee hours... they mentioned the NZ 'Driver to Europe' scheme and felt it wasn't impossible for Australia to have such a scheme as well.

Well, it took Geoff Sykes to get it happening, I guess he pulled the sponsorship from Smiths to cover at least part of the cost and yes, Jim Sullivan was the first winner.

A lot were taken aback when Brian Muir won it the second time. He had, of course, been to Europe to race previously. But win it he did, and he went on to make a name for himself in tintops over there, even if he didn't cover himself with glory in the sports cars.

Hopefully Joe will be okay and able to post on this thread again soon.

#12 Joe Bosworth

Joe Bosworth

• 687 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:53

Ray

Thanks for the comment. All is now well; well mostly, I think.

Anyway, as an aside, I own the Jim Sullivan Driver to Europe driven BT15. Documented by entry data and chassis numbers. Bought it from Fred Opert in New Jersey in 1970 and had it ever since. For a long time I never knew its history. Small world indeed.

Which raises another question. I have tried to contact Jim S in the past. Can anyone email any contact details. doveratarachdotnetdotau

Regards

Joe B

#13 Joe Bosworth

Joe Bosworth

• 687 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:57

On another G Sykes, Farm, AARC matter; I can't believe that they in general and Mary Packard in particular didn't keep a copy of all entry, practice time and results sheets.

Do such things exist?

If so, where?

Unfortunately, I never thought to ask Mary.

Regards

Joe B

#14 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,218 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:33

Maybe the results sheets went by the board, Joe, I don't know...

But as long as she lived, I believe Mary kept all the cards from the card system they had for every entrant. Practice and lap times were always kept on them, meeting after meeting.

I suspect that someone has them still. Ian Packard, Mary's nephew, probably knows who. Unfortunately I haven't seen Ian in twenty years. Then the likes of Fred Vogel will know things too.

Jim Sullivan can probably be contacted via (note the via) NBN Television in Newcastle. I believe he was at Eastern Creek in his TV interviewer capacity last weekend, I might be able to make some enquiries for you.

#15 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,218 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:30

How did this thread ever die?

And what better time to resurrect it?

Having just had the 50th Anniversary luncheon, the question came up today, just when did Geoffrey Percival Frederick Sykes pass away?

Can anyone help with an approximate date for that?

#16 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:42

Ray.... Thanks. I didnt know this thread existed -- until now

Thanks, Joe for starting it -- and starting and continuing it so well

All those characters.... including Sideways Sid( who though he has eye trouble I was told a year ago is I am told contemplating buying the Ian Adams Lotus 7 of fond memory)

I intend to return to this thread soon

#17 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:10

the question came up today, just when did Geoffrey Percival Frederick Sykes pass away?

Ray, all I can find in Ancestry so far is born December 1908, Lewes, Sussex, married 3rd quarter 1939 in Cuckfield, Sussex, and telephone directory for 1958 lists him in Haywards Heath, Sussex, so assume he was Goodwood based. Will keep trying as ISTR an obit note in one of the magazines some years ago

Roger

#18 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,218 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:17

Possibly the fact that he died in Australia is hindering finding more, Roger?

Thanks for being on the job with it, I'm not familiar with that kind of searching.

#19 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,871 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:21

Ray,

I have some vague recollection that Barry Lake wrote a belated obituary for Mary Packard in Motor Racing Australia. This might elude to a snippet of information about Geoff's passing. Unfortunately not sure which issue it would have been though.

Stephen

Advertisement

#20 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,218 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:25

That would have been about '96 or so, Stephen, and I don't have all issues for that period...

Ian Packard was going to e.mail me, too, but hasn't.

#21 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,395 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 22:16

I have edited the post Ray,probaly best not to go down that track in a tribute thread but its still not to late for CAMS to do the right thing.

Edited by Ian G, 12 January 2011 - 21:04.

#22 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,218 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:41

That's certainly opening a can of worms...

The CAMS never, not ever, appreciated what Geoff did. Towards the end of Mary's tenure they began to see the value of the AARC club meetings. It saved them running them like they had to in Melbourne.

#23 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,351 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:18

All this talk about Geoff Sykes i thought it was time we had a picture of the great man.Posted Image..4 pagearticle SCW Sept 1973.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by eldougo, 12 January 2011 - 11:37.

#24 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,218 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:34

There's a whole bunch like that in the RCN article I threatened to post back when this thread began...

Must remember to do that tomorrow.

#25 Brian Lear

Brian Lear

• 122 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:03

.............. the question came up today, just when did Geoffrey Percival Frederick Sykes pass away?

My Collegue David Manson - who has difficulties logging in to post on this forum - has asked that I
advise that GPFS died on 12th April 1992 - Source :Ryerson Index/Sydney Morning Herald.

Brian Lear
Australia

#26 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,871 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:08

Thanks Brian & David for the date of Geoff's passing. Shall have to try and have a look to see what magazines I have during that era and whether any mention was made. Sad if it went unnoticed.

I've looked through about 3 years worth of MRA for Mary Packard's passing and had no luck. Maybe David will have some success on this one too.

Stephen

#27 Brian Lear

Brian Lear

• 122 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:56

David Manson to the rescue again...

Mary Packard died on 27th November 1995

Brian Lear

#28 KarlLeFong

KarlLeFong

• 114 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:55

I struggle with the title of this thead.

I would have thought the LCCA 1956 Australian GP at Albert Park was the birth of modern-day Australian Motor racing.

However, having said that, I wonder what Mr Sykes, a man who we all admire, would have thought of the "V8 Supercar Dodgem Cars", Ute Racing , Truck racing and the hideous 3/4 r plastic bodied garbage we see on TV as "motor racing".

Norm Beechey's Monaro would be also, I suspect, of limited interest to Mr Sykes.

Karl

#29 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,218 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:10

There's a world of difference between having a huge one-off event and setting things up so that high-class events can take place five times a year in a continuing fashion...

Remember that the '56 AGP took place the way it did because of the '56 Olympic Games being in Melbourne that year, whereas Warwick Farm created its own setting and set a standard that others tried to follow. If there was a problem, it was that the 'others' didn't really understand what they were following and got lost when the Farm wasn't there any more.

In fact, they were losing their way to such an extent that they helped pull the Farm back towards the end.

As for the Munro, don't forget that Geoff set up the AJC Trophy for tintops and there was always some kind of tintop feature on the programme. It's just that he put openwheelers on a higher plane for the other four meetings each year.

#30 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,871 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:32

David Manson to the rescue again...

Mary Packard died on 27th November 1995

Brian Lear

Thanks David for solving the date of Mary's passing & Brian for posting it.

Somehow we need to get David back on here to keep solving a few things as they arise, new TNF password from Twinny perhaps?

Stephen

#31 KarlLeFong

KarlLeFong

• 114 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:52

There's a world of difference between having a huge one-off event and setting things up so that high-class events can take place five times a year in a continuing fashion...

Remember that the '56 AGP took place the way it did because of the '56 Olympic Games being in Melbourne that year, whereas Warwick Farm created its own setting and set a standard that others tried to follow. If there was a problem, it was that the 'others' didn't really understand what they were following and got lost when the Farm wasn't there any more.

In fact, they were losing their way to such an extent that they helped pull the Farm back towards the end.

As for the Munro, don't forget that Geoff set up the AJC Trophy for tintops and there was always some kind of tintop feature on the programme. It's just that he put openwheelers on a higher plane for the other four meetings each year.

I would not have thought that Sandown Park, Calder Raceway or Phillip Island had "lost their way", indeed unlike Warwick Farm , they thrive to this day.

The AJC Trophy was devised for touring cars of all sizes and all makes.....not the current two-make commercial arrangement you are currently fed as the ATCC.

Karl

#32 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,218 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 13:42

Originally posted by KarlLeFong
I would not have thought that Sandown Park, Calder Raceway or Phillip Island had "lost their way", indeed unlike Warwick Farm, they thrive to this day.

Bad examples...

Sandown died under Ian McKnight, went out backwards. Jon Davison took over and barely kept his head above water, it's now under another management AFAIK and has no real major drawcards.

Calder is almost non-existant. Bob's not very interested, he's turned his back on the CAMS completely and therefore has no major events there. Calder's primary source of income is as a site for dumping dirt.

Phillip Island at the time of Warwick Farm's demise was operated by the PIARC and owned by Len Lukey. Lukey's impending death led to the PIARC losing control and after his demise it was sold to a syndicate. That there has been a reconstruction and revitalisation there under that management is due to the Victorian Government putting millions of dollars into it to get the Bike GP. Unlike the others, it probably does a little bit of thriving, but unlike Warwick Farm it's miles from any major residential areas and still lacks some amenities.

.....The AJC Trophy was devised for touring cars of all sizes and all makes.....not the current two-make commercial arrangement you are currently fed as the ATCC.

You underestimate me severely, sir!

I am fed none of that rubbish, I virtually never see it at all.

Not only that, but you are preaching to the converted here. I know full well about the variety that used to exist in tintop racing, but even in the last several years of Warwick Farm, the only tintop drawcards were the major V8 frontrunners.

The best touring car races held at the Farm, however, were the ones you seem to favour. And it was because of the layout of the Farm that they were so good... with a Mini setting fastest lap, a Jaguar, three Cortinas and an S4 Holden making the running.