Photo

Aintree meeting 1961 - photos?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 14:57

I am trying to find photos of the sports car race which I believe took place at Aintree on August 13th 1961 (although my notes record it as a Bank Holiday Meeting, which I would have expected to have taken place on Monday 21st or 28th).

I am trying to obtain photos of one car in particular, the Lotus for Henry Taylor, which finished 2nd in the race and set fastest lap. I believe this to be a UDT-Laystall Lotus 19 but don't know for sure. If so, I am looking for on-track shots as well but particularly any static 'in paddock' or 'in pit' shots which might show some detail of the car better.

Can anyone help on this one? Over to you...!

Advertisement

#2 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,530 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 15:58

August Bank Holiday was on the first Monday in August in those days.

#3 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 16:15

Try fellow TNFer Alan Cox or Ted Walker at Ferret Fotographic.

#4 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 16:52

Originally posted by Geoff E
August Bank Holiday was on the first Monday in August in those days.

No race took place on Aug 13 1961 as it was a sunday and Aintree never ran on sundays.Bank Holiday monday was 7th August. Most likely date for a sportscar race would be the support race for the British GP Sat July 15th.

#5 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 16:53

Good grief, Paul, how old do you think I am? I was 10 in 1961!! Sorry, can't help with that particular meeting.

#6 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 16:59

My notes say Taylor was second in the 07/08 Aintree sportscar race

#7 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 17:21

Originally posted by David McKinney
My notes say Taylor was second in the 07/08 Aintree sportscar race

OK chaps, 7th of August it is then! I have spoken to Ted and Alan was too young so does anyone else have any snaps?!

#8 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 17:58

Referring to Autosport's report of the 7th August meeting, it was run on the club circuit and Henry Taylor finished second, in the UDT-Laystall Lotus 19, in both the heat and the final of the sports car race, to Jimmy Blumer. Sadly, the only photo of the race which appears was taken from the rear of the grid as the field departed, with only a very grainy shot of the tail of the Lotus in the far distance, as it left the grid.

#9 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 19:51

Originally posted by Alan Cox
Referring to Autosport's report of the 7th August meeting, it was run on the club circuit and Henry Taylor finished second, in the UDT-Laystall Lotus 19, in both the heat and the final of the sports car race, to Jimmy Blumer. Sadly, the only photo of the race which appears was taken from the rear of the grid as the field departed, with only a very grainy shot of the tail of the Lotus in the far distance, as it left the grid.

Alan, thank you for that - at least I know it was a 19 now! I'm sure the car may have appeared at other meetings in the UK that year (apart from the ones I have already). I have a rash of races at Goodwood, Oulton Park and Aintree in April, Silverstone and Crystal Palace in May then...nothing until this meeting in August and then nothing afterwards. I would have thought there would have been something for them to race in but I have only so far looked at wspr for results of UK races, I really need to start reading Autosports from 1961!

#10 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 20:57

I thought you were at least 70 Alan!

Joking apart I opined without thought, you being a mere slip of a lad and all, but being so well informed it seemed like you might be in the know Guv.

Apologies for the misjudged anno domini.

Yours gravely,

The Grim Reaper

#11 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 21:08

I seem to recall a picture in "Motor Racing Year 1961" of the grid taken at the Aintree 200 meeting, with, IIRC, two Laystall Lotus 19s on the front row of the grid. Can't just turn up the volume at the minute, but I'm convinced my recollecion is correct.

Thank you for your apology, Paul. Accepted in the manner in which it was made! I'm flattered that you thought I may have the answer.

#12 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 22:31

Have found the book I referred to above, and post an extract from page 95, which may be of interest.

Posted Image Copyright Knightsbridge Group Publications

#13 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 00:37

Have found the book I referred to above, and post an extract from page 95, which may be of interest.

Posted Image Copyright Knightsbridge Group Publications

Thanks Alan, that's very useful - car #95 is chassis #953 (no external pipes) while car #94 is either #950 or #952. Does anyone know which driver is which? Sorry, not my strong point as I wasn't even born then... :D

#14 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:10

Cliff Allison is in #95, nearest the camera, Henry Taylor behind.

#15 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:59

Just look at those ludicrous bloody windscreens, even 45+ years ago the pen pushers and seat bottom polishers were spoiling things unnecessarily.

#16 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 14:38

Good grief, Paul, how old do you think I am? I was 10 in 1961!! Sorry, can't help with that particular meeting.

Alan
I too have been under the impression that you were another Alan Cox who had used to do the odd commentary in the Cheshire area. HE was older than me and I am 70 next b/day. My sincere apologies for making the odd reference on this Forum directed to you as I thought you would know the answers
John

#17 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 19:09

Knowing Paul Parker quite well, I think he knows I'm not yet in my seventies! Nice to know that I am confused with another person of the same name who knows the answers, John!

#18 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 21:25

Just to remind you all, there is a complete record of all events at Aintree available at modest prices. A couple of truly dedicated enthusiasts compiled it all. Please see details on the BOOK thread. Itb was only posted in the past month IIRC.

Roger Lund.

#19 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 22:45

Alan: thanks for the IDs!

Roger: thanks - will look that one up!

Advertisement

#20 Steve O'Brien

Steve O'Brien

• 216 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 16:06

I have the race programme for the race meeting at Aintree date 22 April 1961, in the race there were three UDT 19's #93 Moss, #94 H.Taylor, #95 Allison, Stirling Moss 's 19 is entered using a Masarati engine, in the programme are the autographs of Stirling Moss,Tony Brooks, Roy Salverdori, Graham Hill and Raymond Mays, I have just noticed #97 is a John Kennerley whom im sure is Sharman on here driving a Lotus X1 am I right Mr Kennerley

Steve O'Brien

#21 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 14:49

Steve I'm sorry you jumped to the wrong conclusion. John Kennerly was an old mate of mine who came from the Wirral. He was the son of the Company Secretary of Vernon's Pools and had access to a considerable ammount of money, he had used to turn up with various exotica including one day a JOMAR at Rufforth or Full Sutton or Croft or somewhere in the frozen North East. I remember the day because, as I had a TVR Grantura Mk 1 he let me drive the Jomar, the Grantura was twitchy in the wet but the Jomar was indescribably uncontrollable. JRK now lives in Australia where he was something to do with TV, haven't seen him since 196(3?)

#22 Steve O'Brien

Steve O'Brien

• 216 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 15:12

Thanks for putting me straight I wonder if the Jomar was my dads old one I always thought it was a TVR, my dad raced one at a six hour race at Rufforth

Steve.

#23 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 16:57

Climax engined Steve, your father's I mean? The Jomar was lighter than the Grantura (which had a lightweight body) but was 1100 Climax powered as opposed to the Downtoned B type 1600 which gave rather more power.

#24 Steve O'Brien

Steve O'Brien

• 216 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 22:48

My fathers had a 1100 climax it was an open top sportsracer so was it a Jomar or a TVR :confused: it must have been about 1960.

#25 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:08

It was indeed a Jomar made in Blackpool by TVR or should I say by Trevor Wilkinson Steve, as I said in an earlier post they were mainly sold in the USA. I'm not sure how many were built but I think it was less than 30

#26 Steve O'Brien

Steve O'Brien

• 216 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:13

Thanks for that, from what I can remember it was dark blue

Steve.

#27 JOMAR

JOMAR

• 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 18:04

Steve I'm sorry you jumped to the wrong conclusion. John Kennerly was an old mate of mine who came from the Wirral. He was the son of the Company Secretary of Vernon's Pools and had access to a considerable ammount of money, he had used to turn up with various exotica including one day a JOMAR at Rufforth or Full Sutton or Croft or somewhere in the frozen North East. I remember the day because, as I had a TVR Grantura Mk 1 he let me drive the Jomar, the Grantura was twitchy in the wet but the Jomar was indescribably uncontrollable. JRK now lives in Australia where he was something to do with TV, haven't seen him since 196(3?)

Dear Steve, I'm so excited to see this post. I've been searching for early info on an open Jomar/TVR for several years. There currently on 4 documented open sports Jomar/TVRs. Can you tell me if your fathers car had any of these traits:
1. The rear section was NOT bonded but opened similar to the bonnet
2. Did it have inboard rear brakes
3. Did it have a cutout section of the rocker panel on the left side for the exhaust to be tucked away
4. Did your father ever drive this car on the road also or did he sell it to someone that may have driven it on the road
5. Was the car ever driven to Scotland
6. What was the original color
7. What was the original registration
8. Did your dad run the car at Brands Hatch in 1964

Sorry for all the questions. Do you have any pictures that you can send me. If the answer to any of the above questions is yes then I may who now has this car. I can send you pictures of it also. Even if your fathers car is different I want to document it as much as possible. Thanks VERY VERY much.
Alex Saidel
Saidel Sports Racing Cars
Home of the Jomars
manchester New Hampshire

#28 JOMAR

JOMAR

• 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 18:28

I have the race programme for the race meeting at Aintree date 22 April 1961, in the race there were three UDT 19's #93 Moss, #94 H.Taylor, #95 Allison, Stirling Moss 's 19 is entered using a Masarati engine, in the programme are the autographs of Stirling Moss,Tony Brooks, Roy Salverdori, Graham Hill and Raymond Mays, I have just noticed #97 is a John Kennerley whom im sure is Sharman on here driving a Lotus X1 am I right Mr Kennerley

Steve O'Brien

Hi,
I have to say that after having driven 4 Jomars and 2 early TVR coupes on track at speed over the years. They really do handle the same with the same tires and alignment specs. One reason might have been the rubber metalastic suspension bushings might have been completely blown out thus causing poor handling. Other than that the roof on the nocthback coupe version was 35 lbs. Another thought is that if one puts a small diameter steering wheel on these cars, twitchy they do become. The original steering wheels (even on the race chassis sent to us) had the extremely large diameter bakelight Anglia wheels afixed. Dad swicthed several fo Derringtons.
Alex Saidel

#29 RobMk2a

RobMk2a

• 262 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:07

Dear Steve, I'm so excited to see this post. I've been searching for early info on an open Jomar/TVR for several years. There currently on 4 documented open sports Jomar/TVRs. Can you tell me if your fathers car had any of these traits:
1. The rear section was NOT bonded but opened similar to the bonnet
2. Did it have inboard rear brakes
3. Did it have a cutout section of the rocker panel on the left side for the exhaust to be tucked away
4. Did your father ever drive this car on the road also or did he sell it to someone that may have driven it on the road
5. Was the car ever driven to Scotland
6. What was the original color
7. What was the original registration
8. Did your dad run the car at Brands Hatch in 1964

Sorry for all the questions. Do you have any pictures that you can send me. If the answer to any of the above questions is yes then I may who now has this car. I can send you pictures of it also. Even if your fathers car is different I want to document it as much as possible. Thanks VERY VERY much.
Alex Saidel
Saidel Sports Racing Cars
Home of the Jomars
manchester New Hampshire

Quite an old thread but - I think I may have (with help of Rich Carter) identified the TVR Open Sports. It was owned by John Kennerley registered 223 EMA on 4th Oct 1958 (but marked as rebuilt). It had a 1098cc Coventry Climax engine and John entered MGCC Silverstone 16th May 1959, I'm not sure of result. (anyone have photos of this event). I understand from the registration docs it was blue. OBrien entered it at Catterick July 1961 in 4 hour relay as part of Shoe String Stable. (interestingly Ken Booth raced a TVR Grantura Mk2 under the Shoe String Stable- I think his TVR Grantura has just been found and is being restored).

The open sports was subsequently for sale in 1961 J Blake Bold St Liverpool in 1961 and Dutton at Kenmare Road Liverpool in July 1962. I'm not sure if either Blake or Dutton were involved with Harry OBrien but Dutton's address is less than 2 miles from OBrien's Farnsworth Road garage. John Kennerley subsequently raced a Lotus Elite (Aintree August 1961)and then offshore power boats. The open sports was found in Scotland and has been restored. The only slight problem in the thread is the car in Scotland was Red not Blue.

Ted Walker (Ferret) has a photo of the car at Brands Hatch in possible 1964 (the GP circuit bridge is in the background) in not sure of exact date and driver yet. I'm interested in speaking to John Kennerley, who now lives in Sidney Australia, (to find out where he acquired the car) does anyone have any contact details.

Rob