Jump to content


Photo

Any news if Formula1 will broadcast in High Definition in 2007?


  • Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#1 Bluesmoke

Bluesmoke
  • Member

  • 880 posts
  • Joined: July 04

Posted 07 December 2006 - 16:33

They were supposed to do it for the American races last year but didn't. It's pretty pathetic that a sport that markets itself as cutting edge of technology still shows in standard definition, whereas, Nascar is broadcast in HD on ABC and Fox.

Has there been any news regarding any plans to ramp up video productions towards HD?

Advertisement

#2 scurrg

scurrg
  • Member

  • 96 posts
  • Joined: August 03

Posted 07 December 2006 - 19:50

AMEN!

There was a JUNIOR hockey game on in HD on TSNHD a few days ago.

#3 Dudley

Dudley
  • Member

  • 9,245 posts
  • Joined: March 00

Posted 07 December 2006 - 19:56

The nascar stuff looks superb. Although if you download it, it's 20gb a race :)

#4 VoidNT

VoidNT
  • Member

  • 1,561 posts
  • Joined: April 04

Posted 07 December 2006 - 20:03

No, because Bernie thinks Internet is just a bunch of porno sites made for teen wankers and HDTV is an ordinary TV set just with a huge screen.

#5 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr
  • Member

  • 2,685 posts
  • Joined: October 05

Posted 07 December 2006 - 22:58

Originally posted by VoidNT
No, because Bernie thinks Internet is just a bunch of porno sites made for teen wankers and HDTV is an ordinary TV set just with a huge screen.

And he's right !

#6 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks
  • Member

  • 5,547 posts
  • Joined: June 06

Posted 08 December 2006 - 00:01

Every time the World Lawn Bowl championship is broadcast in 1080i or p or whatever the best format is, it is Bernie that looks stupid. :wave:

it is the world's most technological sport that cannot manage to broadcast in world's best format, even though FOM produce most of the races themselves, and the television station produced races use outside equipment contractors who could easily bring HD equipment?

#7 917k

917k
  • Member

  • 2,586 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 08 December 2006 - 00:13

NASCAR is mostly in HD and it is SUPERB, stunning to watch. Even the most boring event keeps me glued simply because of how watchable it is.

F1, with its stunning colours, the flags, the glowing brakes is a no- brainer. I think most of us would agree that regular TV doesn't nearly show us the colours of the cars or the events. HD can do that.

Taking this a bit OT, what sort of equipment y'all using? I have a Panasonic TH50PX60U and I love the thing to bits.

#8 Bluesmoke

Bluesmoke
  • Member

  • 880 posts
  • Joined: July 04

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:03

Originally posted by 917k
NASCAR is mostly in HD and it is SUPERB, stunning to watch. Even the most boring event keeps me glued simply because of how watchable it is.

F1, with its stunning colours, the flags, the glowing brakes is a no- brainer. I think most of us would agree that regular TV doesn't nearly show us the colours of the cars or the events. HD can do that.

Taking this a bit OT, what sort of equipment y'all using? I have a Panasonic TH50PX60U and I love the thing to bits.


Not only that, but in HD, audio is at a higher bitrate as well. For those people who have never been to a race, you don't know what 5.1 sound can do for races. I hate Nascar, but the audio is steller!

I can only imagine what F1 would SOUND like in HD and in surround.

Stupid Bernie!

#9 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks
  • Member

  • 5,547 posts
  • Joined: June 06

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:35

Originally posted by 917k
I have a Panasonic TH50PX60U and I love the thing to bits.

I must say that model number is cryptic to say the least :p

#10 Dudley

Dudley
  • Member

  • 9,245 posts
  • Joined: March 00

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:37

Originally posted by V8 Fireworks

I must say that model number is cryptic to say the least :p


Allow me to translate.

"Really ****ing big"

#11 F1Fanatic.co.uk

F1Fanatic.co.uk
  • Member

  • 1,725 posts
  • Joined: May 05

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:34

I'm not bothering to upgrade to HD until F1, or any other motor sport I watch, is broadcast in it.

#12 xflow7

xflow7
  • Member

  • 3,046 posts
  • Joined: October 02

Posted 08 December 2006 - 13:27

F1 definitely needs to move to HD, but I believe one of the complications is that vs. NASCAR, say, the number of cameras needed to cover a road course (think someplace like Spa, especially) is far higher than that required to cover NASCAR's ovals. Thus the additional capital investment on the part of the local broadcaster is very large; or FOM has to take over production of all the races which probably can't happen immediately for contractual reasons (even though I think we'd all like to see that).

#13 Andy Donovan

Andy Donovan
  • Member

  • 1,015 posts
  • Joined: January 06

Posted 08 December 2006 - 13:44

Originally posted by F1Fanatic.co.uk
I'm not bothering to upgrade to HD until F1, or any other motor sport I watch, is broadcast in it.

Same here. I don't have surround sound or anything, but the idea of F1 in HD/5.1 would have me rushing to my bank to count my pennies. I'm not a big film watcher, so sport is the only thing I watch that would really benefit from higher quality I reckon.

Originally posted by xflow7
F1 definitely needs to move to HD, but I believe one of the complications is that vs. NASCAR, say, the number of cameras needed to cover a road course

I seem to remember FOM bought fully HD kit last year, so have enough cameras already.

#14 xflow7

xflow7
  • Member

  • 3,046 posts
  • Joined: October 02

Posted 08 December 2006 - 14:26

Originally posted by Andy Donovan


I seem to remember FOM bought fully HD kit last year, so have enough cameras already.


Hence my second point that the alternative would be that FOM take over production of all the races which may have contractual complications at least at the moment, although I suppose they might be able to work some deal whereby the local broadcasters lease FOM's equipment. Not sure if there would be training requirements, etc in order to make that happen.

#15 Jodum5

Jodum5
  • Member

  • 1,247 posts
  • Joined: July 04

Posted 08 December 2006 - 14:27

I think my Panasonic is 60inches but its rear projection. HD is awesome by the way. We need more channels in hd

#16 917k

917k
  • Member

  • 2,586 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 08 December 2006 - 14:27

Originally posted by F1Fanatic.co.uk
I'm not bothering to upgrade to HD until F1, or any other motor sport I watch, is broadcast in it.



Even F1 in SD [on TSN here in Canada] is awesome [on a good screen], with great detail and colour, although nothing like HD.

I can't wait for true HD but for now F1 still looks great.

#17 jonpollak

jonpollak
  • Member

  • 13,706 posts
  • Joined: March 00

Posted 08 December 2006 - 16:45

As Suzuka was broadcast to the home audience by Fuji in HD...
I see no reason why the 2 North American races would NOT be offered by FOX in HD
They have the means and FOM have the kit.

Jp

#18 Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes
  • Member

  • 321 posts
  • Joined: February 01

Posted 08 December 2006 - 17:04

HD channels in the US are still pretty far and few between and plenty of cable providers only offer Speed as a pay channel or worse, not at all.

This leads me to believe that a seperate HD Speed Channel is probably 2 years away at the earliest.

#19 jokuvaan

jokuvaan
  • Member

  • 4,063 posts
  • Joined: February 05

Posted 08 December 2006 - 17:26

My understanding is that plain HD-tv is not enough, you need HD Set-top box or build-in TV.

HD would also not be available for terrestial transmissions. Overall it makes no sense to make HD F1 at the moment.

Advertisement

#20 917k

917k
  • Member

  • 2,586 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 08 December 2006 - 18:38

Originally posted by jokuvaan
My understanding is that plain HD-tv is not enough, you need HD Set-top box or build-in TV.

HD would also not be available for terrestial transmissions. Overall it makes no sense to make HD F1 at the moment.



World Cup, NHL ,NBA, NFL, NASCAR etc. are all HD. How could the most affluent sport in the world NOT be in the most advanced TV format?

As was mentioned earlier, minor league hockey is HD in Canada.

#21 Lantern

Lantern
  • Member

  • 2,402 posts
  • Joined: December 98

Posted 08 December 2006 - 18:52

Originally posted by 917k



World Cup, NHL ,NBA, NFL, NASCAR etc. are all HD. How could the most affluent sport in the world NOT be in the most advanced TV format?

As was mentioned earlier, minor league hockey is HD in Canada.



When is the last time Bernie or any person in charge of the show PAID money to improve the show or at least the experience?

We're talking about a group that thinks an online poll is big time interaction.
"Hey look everyone we changed the words in how things are to be run on the weekend....pat us on the back."


Frustration sets in when sports I don't care for much get the sweet visuals while I'm stuck with a feed that is so bad that the commentators often confuse drivers and even MAKES of car. :(


If anyone needs to see the difference in SD and HD, watch a Nascar race. When they switch to a camera on the top or the rear of the car it's in SD and then they will click back to the regular HD view. The difference is night and day.

Maybe we could try to goad Bernie by asking him if he uses Nascar's old car-cams for his F1 feed.;)

Maybe HDTVs are just too cheap now. I mean some can be had for less than the Carbon fibre mouse pad in Beries F1 store. :lol:

#22 Clatter

Clatter
  • Member

  • 27,683 posts
  • Joined: February 00

Posted 08 December 2006 - 22:13

Originally posted by 917k



World Cup, NHL ,NBA, NFL, NASCAR etc. are all HD. How could the most affluent sport in the world NOT be in the most advanced TV format?

As was mentioned earlier, minor league hockey is HD in Canada.


It hasnt even caught up with complete widescreen coverage yet, let alone HD.

#23 Cojayar

Cojayar
  • Member

  • 1,617 posts
  • Joined: October 02

Posted 08 December 2006 - 22:15

Originally posted by 917k



World Cup, NHL ,NBA, NFL, NASCAR etc. are all HD. How could the most affluent sport in the world NOT be in the most advanced TV format?

As was mentioned earlier, minor league hockey is HD in Canada.

F1 is European based, you like it or not. In Europe, HD-TV is just born and almost nobody watches it. It will change in one or two years but now is not relevant.

Don't compare it with the situation in USA or Canada (or even Australia AFAIK) because there is no normal TV in high definition. Football has very few games of the Champions League and some (very few) of the national leagues. The first HD player is just launched. For this Christmas they expect to have 30-50 films in HD. It's almost non existing. People buy HD-ready TV sets because they are told to and they are big. But they don't have anything to feed it.

World Cup was HD was a decision on the last moment. Three months before it there where no clear idea if any channel in Europe would show them in HD.

But you forget that the most important sport event in the world (the Olympic Games) is not (yet) on HD. This will be probably the impulse that will bring the HD to every in Europe and then will get a base for F1 to be shown in HD.

#24 kar

kar
  • Member

  • 10,310 posts
  • Joined: January 06

Posted 08 December 2006 - 22:24

I wonder how F1 will cope on current tech hdtvs. I got a nice hdtv, but I just wonder how a high pace sport like F1 will appear on my LCD.

Footy looks alright on my tele, but I've seen plasmas that fall over with green blur and the like, so imagine F1.

To be honest, I just want widescreen more than anything else. High def would be a bonus, but widescreen is an absolute must.

It's ludicrous that in 2006, with a sport that purports itself to be the most advanced on earth, that has teams spending billions of dollars to look good to the punters at home, is broadcast with stoneage circa 1950s technology.

#25 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks
  • Member

  • 5,547 posts
  • Joined: June 06

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:31

Originally posted by Cojayar
But you forget that the most important sport event in the world (the Olympic Games) is not (yet) on HD. This will be probably the impulse that will bring the HD to every in Europe and then will get a base for F1 to be shown in HD.


But to produce an F1 HD is not expensive... FOM has HD equipment, Fuji TV have HD equipment, Channel 10 have HD equipment but stepped aside for FOM anyway, ...all televsion networks have HD equipment, including the broadcasters where contracts may remain with local networks in Hungary or where-ever.

Terrestial stations produce digital channels in addition of course.

For FOM to produce a HD broadcast is easy, at the same time they are making an SD broadcast, and a 4:9 broadcast .... easy peasy lemon squeasy and compared to FOM's $100m's rights it's cheap as chicken meat , heck it's still cheap as peanuts even for the say $200k allocated for BBC5 to cover the wales senior lawn bowls titles... given that the equipment is outsourced and used for many other events.

#26 Tolyngee

Tolyngee
  • Member

  • 1,352 posts
  • Joined: April 04

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:56

Originally posted by Frank Grimes
HD channels in the US are still pretty far and few between and plenty of cable providers only offer Speed as a pay channel or worse, not at all.

This leads me to believe that a seperate HD Speed Channel is probably 2 years away at the earliest.


Not to mention that not everything on an HD channel is broadcast in HD anyway... (I guess it is just me, but it bugs me that no one seems to broadcast their 'world news' program in HD...)

But I have less than a dozen HD channels available to me by my cable company... but they just added a few... And guess what!? _Perhaps_ the bitrate maybe it a bit higher, meaning maybe, just maybe the picture looks a bit better (maybe), _BUT_ it is just the 4:3 program from the non-HD channel of the same (A&E for example) f-ing STRETCHED to a 16:9 image!? Who's idea of a joke is this crap!?

The image stretching from 4:3 to 16:9 is so distorted that it about makes me ill trying to watch it...

(and yes, I have watched both channels at the same time, paused them at the same spot, and where the image ends top/bottom/left/right is identical, it is only the image that is stretched to fit the screen on the HD channel...)

I do not understand why someone would want to watch tv this way...

#27 kar

kar
  • Member

  • 10,310 posts
  • Joined: January 06

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:34

Turns out the news is by mid-season !!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/58776

Sadly for those of us in the UK, it is doubtful ITV will offer the enhanced service, although it would be great if they could offer some sort of premium service on Sky or something.

I think what might be necessary is to get premier from Germany hooked up since they offer HD on their service, and feed in the english commentary.

#28 PEW

PEW
  • Member

  • 1,070 posts
  • Joined: August 00

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:39

Premiere does not feef in english commentary but does offer natural sound whic is much better

#29 kar

kar
  • Member

  • 10,310 posts
  • Joined: January 06

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:52

Ohh that is really good! What I meant though is that I would have the itv commentary or five live bbc radio commentary going on either on another tele or through the hifi system while the premier coverage was on the hdtv.

#30 bira

bira
  • Member

  • 13,352 posts
  • Joined: November 98

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:57

for high definition, you need an HD broadcasting channel and an HD receiver. In the UK, as far as I know, that means having Sky HD. And the only HD channels at the moment are BBC 1, Sky One and a couple of Sky movie channels.

#31 kar

kar
  • Member

  • 10,310 posts
  • Joined: January 06

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:21

How likely do you think that ITV and Sky could come to any arrangement? :confused:

Maybe by next season ITV might have something sorted.

Heck, if it included free practice sessions I would pay for it on a specific channel basis - kinda like they have that 'Premiership plus' package.

#32 denthierry

denthierry
  • Member

  • 1,279 posts
  • Joined: January 04

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:23

Originally posted by Juan Kerr
And he's right !


clearly you've never seen HD...

#33 denthierry

denthierry
  • Member

  • 1,279 posts
  • Joined: January 04

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:26

Originally posted by kar
I wonder how F1 will cope on current tech hdtvs. I got a nice hdtv, but I just wonder how a high pace sport like F1 will appear on my LCD.

Footy looks alright on my tele, but I've seen plasmas that fall over with green blur and the like, so imagine F1.

To be honest, I just want widescreen more than anything else. High def would be a bonus, but widescreen is an absolute must.

It's ludicrous that in 2006, with a sport that purports itself to be the most advanced on earth, that has teams spending billions of dollars to look good to the punters at home, is broadcast with stoneage circa 1950s technology.


spot on!! :up: :up:

#34 kar

kar
  • Member

  • 10,310 posts
  • Joined: January 06

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:29

Yeah it was when I wrote it. Now that we've got widescreen, HD is no longer considerable as a bonus - it's absolutely and completely NECESSARY! :lol:

Seriously though, F1 in HD will be soooo good. I was a bit concerned about motion blur, but in widescreen normal definition, even on my big lcd, it's pretty darn good.

In high def, with the higher bitrate it would be perfect I think, although I might try and use any noticeable blur whatsoever as justification to the misses for getting one of the new 100hz lcd teles :)

#35 kanec

kanec
  • Member

  • 2,083 posts
  • Joined: May 01

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:31

Originally posted by bira
for high definition, you need an HD broadcasting channel and an HD receiver. In the UK, as far as I know, that means having Sky HD. And the only HD channels at the moment are BBC 1, Sky One and a couple of Sky movie channels.


VirginMedia broadcasts BBC HD as well.

The main channels (inc. ITV) trialled broadcasting HD over DTTV a while ago.

They're already to go for it when the time is right. Which broadcasting method they go for is probably just a political decision.

#36 rfus

rfus
  • Member

  • 648 posts
  • Joined: July 04

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:35

Originally posted by Bernie
We are really broadcasting for the big screen now, rather than worrying about HD.


If you are broadcasting for a big screen you need hd. Apart from allowing electronics manufactures to sell us expensive equipment hd was invented so that video would look good on a big screen. Even with the wide screen added this year F1 still looks pretty crappy on a small screen at the moment.

#37 primer

primer
  • Member

  • 6,664 posts
  • Joined: April 06

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:39

720 or 1080? That is the question!

I feel it would be better to wait (approximately) 18-24 months and then go directly to 1080p instead of getting stuck with 720p. New solutions are coming to market, and the cost of 1080p broadcast equipment is going to fall *big* time.

PS: What about on-board cameras? Will they be HDTV too? The bandwidth might be some cause of concern.

#38 kar

kar
  • Member

  • 10,310 posts
  • Joined: January 06

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:46

Well Sky broadcast in 1080i, and the cable/satellite bandwidth required (double) to make the jump from 1080i to 1080p, for the (imo) minor increase in picture quality simply isn't worth it.

So the broadcast infrastructure to put 1080 interlaced lines of F1 onto our HDTVs exists already.

They might film F1 in 1080p but I'm not too sure too many broadcasters are going to be pumping just that feed unadulterated to their viewers.

#39 JasonSw

JasonSw
  • Member

  • 285 posts
  • Joined: January 07

Posted 03 June 2007 - 13:28

I think the issue is two fold...

First of all they have not built a small enough HD camera that will fit in the area's designed for the on board shots, so when the director switches from the wider HD shot to an on board camera the difference in quality is so bad that it becomes almost unviewable.

Secondly for all the fans in the UK at least, ITV do not have the technical capability to broadcast in HD or for that matter offer any sort of interactive service of any kind!

Cheers

Advertisement

#40 Lantern

Lantern
  • Member

  • 2,402 posts
  • Joined: December 98

Posted 03 June 2007 - 17:09

Originally posted by JasonSw
I think the issue is two fold...

First of all they have not built a small enough HD camera that will fit in the area's designed for the on board shots, so when the director switches from the wider HD shot to an on board camera the difference in quality is so bad that it becomes almost unviewable.

Secondly for all the fans in the UK at least, ITV do not have the technical capability to broadcast in HD or for that matter offer any sort of interactive service of any kind!

Cheers


The onboards would be no worse than they are right now on my HD set.


I noticed that Nascar has already put a high definition system in place for their onboard shots. Of course for those in the U.S. it would be all for nothing if F1 went HD as there is no Speed-HD channel yet. It would take a full HD F1 season for me to stand having F1 on another channel though. :lol:

#41 Yellowmc

Yellowmc
  • Member

  • 1,916 posts
  • Joined: May 07

Posted 03 June 2007 - 17:52

ITV do actually have the capabilities to launch a HD-service and have had interactive services for quite a while, they just never use them on mainstream channels.

I would love to see a dedicated F1 channel, time to write a letter to Mr.Branson I guess, we will then have a dedicated F1 channel on Virgin Media.

#42 SeanValen

SeanValen
  • Member

  • 16,967 posts
  • Joined: February 01

Posted 03 June 2007 - 17:57

Originally posted by kar
I wonder how F1 will cope on current tech hdtvs. I got a nice hdtv, but I just wonder how a high pace sport like F1 will appear on my LCD.

Footy looks alright on my tele, but I've seen plasmas that fall over with green blur and the like, so imagine F1.

To be honest, I just want widescreen more than anything else. High def would be a bonus, but widescreen is an absolute must.

It's ludicrous that in 2006, with a sport that purports itself to be the most advanced on earth, that has teams spending billions of dollars to look good to the punters at home, is broadcast with stoneage circa 1950s technology.



The TV sets now with 1080p has new technologies and chips that work with fast moving images like f1.

HD has improved vastly since it started. It's time for f1 to do it.

Most HD-TVs in the UK are not up to date with the sets in the US and Japan, which are better, they come to the UK later, but they are coming, after this Christmas, we'll be in a much more populated audience with HD needs.

2007 is a bit early for mainstream, but 2008 should be the High Definition year for f1. And I wouldn't mind paying for Bernie vision but with HD this time, that would be the ultimate!





#43 jaisli

jaisli
  • Member

  • 1,215 posts
  • Joined: May 01

Posted 08 June 2007 - 17:39

Originally posted by Lantern


The onboards would be no worse than they are right now on my HD set.


I noticed that Nascar has already put a high definition system in place for their onboard shots. Of course for those in the U.S. it would be all for nothing if F1 went HD as there is no Speed-HD channel yet. It would take a full HD F1 season for me to stand having F1 on another channel though. :lol:


Just as a reminder to everybody in the US, the Canadian Grand Prix will not be shown on Speed but will be on FOX, Sunday at 1:00 pm.

Fox DOES broadcast in high definition. But I don't know if the feed will be in high def.

#44 jb_128

jb_128
  • Member

  • 311 posts
  • Joined: March 05

Posted 08 June 2007 - 17:55

Originally posted by kar
Well Sky broadcast in 1080i, and the cable/satellite bandwidth required (double) to make the jump from 1080i to 1080p, for the (imo) minor increase in picture quality simply isn't worth it.

So the broadcast infrastructure to put 1080 interlaced lines of F1 onto our HDTVs exists already.

They might film F1 in 1080p but I'm not too sure too many broadcasters are going to be pumping just that feed unadulterated to their viewers.


1080p is only 25 frames per second which is only good for hollywood movies. That's why sports is either 720p with 50 frames per second or 1080i with 50 fields per second. 1080p would only need double the bandwidth of 1080i if it was broadcast at 50 frames per second but this format doesn't exist (yet?).

#45 andy-i

andy-i
  • Member

  • 184 posts
  • Joined: July 06

Posted 08 June 2007 - 19:46

Originally posted by bira
for high definition, you need an HD broadcasting channel and an HD receiver. In the UK, as far as I know, that means having Sky HD. And the only HD channels at the moment are BBC 1, Sky One and a couple of Sky movie channels.


And sky sports channels 1 + 2.

All Sky's Premier League games are also available in HD.

ITV's idea of HD is probably giving James Allen a f**king megaphone!!

#46 rye&ginger

rye&ginger
  • Member

  • 231 posts
  • Joined: June 05

Posted 08 June 2007 - 21:15

Originally posted by jb_128


1080p is only 25 frames per second which is only good for hollywood movies. That's why sports is either 720p with 50 frames per second or 1080i with 50 fields per second. 1080p would only need double the bandwidth of 1080i if it was broadcast at 50 frames per second but this format doesn't exist (yet?).


The resolution (1080p) is not linked to the framerate. TV framerate is 30 fps, not 25 I think.

We'll not see anything greater than 30 fps from a broadcast as the bandwidth is not available for some time. I imagine that will take 20-30 years when the next version of HDTV comes about.

The World Cup in HD was amazing. It would do wonders for F1.

#47 robnyc

robnyc
  • Member

  • 5,350 posts
  • Joined: November 06

Posted 08 June 2007 - 21:17

Originally posted by jaisli


Just as a reminder to everybody in the US, the Canadian Grand Prix will not be shown on Speed but will be on FOX, Sunday at 1:00 pm.

Fox DOES broadcast in high definition. But I don't know if the feed will be in high def.


thanks for the heads up. :up:

#48 benn5325

benn5325
  • Member

  • 1,585 posts
  • Joined: January 01

Posted 08 June 2007 - 21:19

Originally posted by jaisli


Just as a reminder to everybody in the US, the Canadian Grand Prix will not be shown on Speed but will be on FOX, Sunday at 1:00 pm.

Fox DOES broadcast in high definition. But I don't know if the feed will be in high def.

From what I've heard, while FOX will actually be receiving a native 16:9 480p signal, they will only transmit the races in 4:3 SD.
Why, no ****ing idea....... :down:

#49 pacwest

pacwest
  • Member

  • 1,407 posts
  • Joined: September 04

Posted 08 June 2007 - 21:26

I've watched every 2007 race in hi-def and I'm diggin it. The in car stuff is acceptable since it's at least widescreen SDTV. No more wacky car shapes.

If you have satellite you can catch it on TSN or RDS in America/Caribbean in hi-def. Yes, 1080i. TSN has broadcast all the 2007 races in 1080i. Either that or my motorola box AND my TV lies to me.

#50 Bluesmoke

Bluesmoke
  • Member

  • 880 posts
  • Joined: July 04

Posted 08 June 2007 - 22:09

Originally posted by pacwest
I've watched every 2007 race in hi-def and I'm diggin it. The in car stuff is acceptable since it's at least widescreen SDTV. No more wacky car shapes.

If you have satellite you can catch it on TSN or RDS in America/Caribbean in hi-def. Yes, 1080i. TSN has broadcast all the 2007 races in 1080i. Either that or my motorola box AND my TV lies to me.


16:9 is not HiDef. I have TSN HD. It's definately not HD.