Photo

Schumacher to continue - in historics?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 frogeye59

frogeye59

• 335 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 19:14

Mikey has bought himself a nice bit of kit, are we going to see him in Historics ????

http://uk.sports.yah...e-supercar.html

:eek: :eek:

Advertisement

#2 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 19:59

Now, THAT would stir up the Goodwood Revival! :love:

#3 canon1753

canon1753

• 619 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 20:05

MS has gone up a notch in my reckoning....

Good for him.

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,953 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 20:28

His driving, and in particular his tactics, might be a bit more restrained in a car that owes him that much...

#5 TIPO61

TIPO61

• 598 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 21:15

Does anyone know if he bought one of the original six, or did he buy one of the replicars now being manufactured in S. Africa?

#6 chuckbrandt

chuckbrandt

• 424 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 21:48

It's unclear if he bought one of the 6 original Daytona coupes or the only Super Coupe which was 427 powered.

I've seen the same news report from 2 different sources and neither makes sense.

Chuck

Super Coupe
http://www.conceptca...66/default.aspx

#7 frogeye59

frogeye59

• 335 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 22:00

Originally posted by chuckbrandt
It's unclear if he bought one of the 6 original Daytona coupes or the only Super Coupe which was 427 powered.

I've seen the same news report from 2 different sources and neither makes sense.

Chuck

Super Coupe
http://www.conceptca...66/default.aspx

I've re-read it and it is vauge isnt it, doesnt actually state its an original, but implys it as he spent a lot on it.

#8 chuckbrandt

chuckbrandt

• 424 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 22:09

The Super Coupe sold in 2005 for $1,457,500.00. I'd guess one of the original 6 regular daytona coupes would cost some multiple of that. So either way, he spent a bunch.

Chuck

#9 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 22:29

Originally posted by chuckbrandt
The Super Coupe sold in 2005 for $1,457,500.00. I'd guess one of the original 6 regular daytona coupes would cost some multiple of that. So either way, he spent a bunch.

Chuck

I think that MS will get more enjoyment driving this car than his recent mounts :rolleyes: it is also a car that I could even enjoy watching him race in ;)

#10 frogeye59

frogeye59

• 335 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 22:48

Originally posted by sterling49

I think that MS will get more enjoyment driving this car than his recent mounts :rolleyes: it is also a car that I could even enjoy watching him race in ;)

Very true, sadly I dont think I could put up with the hoards of Tifosi clones that turn out for such events just to see the red cars or their drivers/ex drivers and dont give a monkeys about anything else.

I find it hugely amusing at Monaco when suddenly a load of red clad, prancing horse flag waving anoraks turn up at lunch time to watch the ferarri parade (not race) then disolve into the ether when its finished never to be seen again............they miss the real action and to my mind the whole point.

I hope that if Michael ever comes to the revival its at the very last minute when they cant get tickets, it would ruin the event. ):

#11 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 22:55

Originally posted by frogeye59

Very true, sadly I dont think I could put up with the hoards of Tifosi clones that turn out for such events just to see the red cars or their drivers/ex drivers and dont give a monkeys about anything else.

I find it hugely amusing at Monaco when suddenly a load of red clad, prancing horse flag waving anoraks turn up at lunch time to watch the ferarri parade (not race) then disolve into the ether when its finished never to be seen again............they miss the real action and to my mind the whole point.

I hope that if Michael ever comes to the revival its at the very last minute when they cant get tickets, it would ruin the event. ):

So aptly stated :clap: this behaviour even extends to hanging the prancing horse flag from bedroom windows, I am an enthusiast and love Ferraris, but pleeease! :eek:

#12 WDH74

WDH74

• 1,360 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 00:41

I saw the SC run at Road America many years ago (maybe in '95-'96?), in a Cobra vs. Ferrari race. I've wondered what became of it, since I only managed one shot of it in action, and that was ruined by the photo lab who developed the film.

Hell of a car.

-William

#13 dbltop

dbltop

• 1,662 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:40

The question considering the new owner/driver, is would the Shelby turn into the Ferrari? ;)

#14 James Lustman

James Lustman

• 9 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 21:40

The Super Coupe is back up for sale at Russo and Steele January 17th - 21st, 2007

http://www.russoands...e_427/6887.html

#15 Stoatspeed

Stoatspeed

• 235 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 21:57

Originally posted by James Lustman
The Super Coupe is back up for sale at Russo and Steele January 17th - 21st, 2007

...so looks it might not be the Super Coupe in the Schumi parkhaus (unless he's "flipping" it, in real estate speak!) ... I agree with the sentiments above that my respect for the man went up when I heard that he had seen fit invest in something with soul.

Of course, as a mega-millionaire would he ever race it or would his insurers and investment advisers counsel against the "Michael Money Machine" risking his neck in a multi-million $$ 40 year old museum piece?

Related, I love the pics on the Russo & Steele listing ... the period shots of the car are great, wonder whose they are (no photo credits!!) Specially like the unpainted car with a row of ordinary Cobras in the background!

#16 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 22:09

The media has probably got it wrong again and it will turn out to be some replica with a Rover engine (please please God make it so!!!)

#17 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 22:34

Hmmm. I have never fully understood the appeal of the 'Super Coupe'. It was never raced in period and so is really just a 'might have been'. I was at Monterey when it was displayed there in 1981 (Was that it's introduction - not Riverside?). If Dick Smith, who I got to know fairly well at both Monterey and Westwood, could not get it faster than his old '198' then was it really that much faster than a Cobra roadster? I now await the gnashing of teeth.

#18 chuckbrandt

chuckbrandt

• 424 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 22:45

I tend to agree on the Super Coupe, I've never warmed to the looks of it. It's interesting, I'm glad it still exists, but that's about the extent of my feelings for it :)

This reminds me of the "other" 427 coupe. I saw it in the Shelby Museum in Boulder Colorado last summer. It was a regular looking un finished daytona coupe sitting on a 427 coil sprung cobra frame. The sign next to it said that it was the unfinished Willmet 427 daytona coupe. They began to build the car and stopped when the 427 roadster failed to get homologated. Wouldn't that have been an interesting car to see run? Sorry they would not let me take pictures.

Chuck

#19 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,953 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 23:00

Isn't that why cameras were put into cellphones?

Advertisement

#20 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 00:15

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Isn't that why cameras were put into cellphones?

Yes, at least according one member of Saddam's hanging party.

Big brothers eye is everywhere now...!

#21 chuckbrandt

chuckbrandt

• 424 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:26

Speculation at club cobra is that MS ordered a coupe from Robert Sarrailh who builds them using 289 roadster frames and serial numbers.

Hopefully someone can confirm this.

Chuck

#22 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 03:57

I was at Monterey when it was displayed there in 1981 (Was that it's introduction - not Riverside?).

I was there too tand saw that car finished at last, since it had never been actually assembled in the 1960's. Incredibly, most people there thought that it had been "restored", when in fact it had been merely... constructed. On track it was not impressive, with visible handling problems, but this was really the first time out besides a short session to make sure that all systems were... systeming. :cat:
It looked fat, bizarre, but its finish was exemplary. Someone spent a LOT of money putting that thing together from Lord knows what chassis and engine and the unused original body panels. I seem to remember that Mike Dopudhja (spelling? )was the guy who ran the project.

#23 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 06:00

I also recall Mike Dopuja as being the 'restorer'. I think he did most of the cars for the late Bob Sutherland. A nice guy and a great craftsman. I don't know how much of the 'Super Coupe' he had to begin with, but I recall it was a long way from finished when he started on it.

#24 MonzaDriver

MonzaDriver

• 424 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 17:08

Schumacher in Historic racing or whatever name............. well
I really hope that the day he will try by casuality a Lotus 49 or a Bandini's Ferrari,
or a Regazzoni's Ferrari, or a F1 without wings or at least without ground effect,
I Will Be There or a very good television coverage of the event.
For this F1 show, I would pay, because there will be a lot of…… :rotfl:

MonzaDriver.

#25 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 17:22

He was quick in karts, formula cars without wings, formula cars with wings, formula cars with lots of wings, sportscars, etc. I think he'd be quick in historics, he'd be quick in a taxi.

#26 chuckbrandt

chuckbrandt

• 424 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 17:38

Can anyone translate french?

Chuck

http://www.automobil...versaire-schumi

After an exceptional career, Michael Schumacher has well deserved to take a little good time. That says, it never is evident to rediscover itself idle when one has a mental one of seven times champion of the world of F1 and that one passes scarcely the bar of the 38 years. Then, in order not to to fall in the classical depression of those that knew the fires of the ramp, Schumi has to decide of please itself for his birthday and offered itself a magnificent one retorts Cutting Cobra Daytona.

One could imagine that with of such average, Michael Schumacher would have chosen for an original one of Carol Shelby but the retorts would be apparently a true work of goldsmith executed by Robert Sarrailh and based on a true Cobra chassis MKII. Robert Sarrailh had besides carried out a similar work for John Todt on the basis of MKIII. The two partners are inseparable décidemment…

Then, wise choice or would you have chosen for a different model?