Photo

The eBay thread - post your news here!

• Please log in to reply
888 replies to this topic

#101 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 15:57

I recently purchased some old ex-Innes Ireland motor club badges on ebay. Can anyone identify this one:

Posted Image

Any ideas?

Advertisement

#102 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:53

Thanks for that!

I'd just googled my way to the same conclusion so it's good to have this confirmation. Innes of course served with the Kings Own Scottish Borderers and the Parachute Regiment but at least the LBH are from the same part of the world as the KOSB, I'll have to investigate what connection Innes had with them.

#103 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 13:16

Anyone recognize Stuart Lewis-Evans' companions on this ebay item. It's certainly not Innes Ireland as the seller seems to think.

#104 Reyna

Reyna

• 630 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 13:35

'The Formula One Record Book' by John Thompson, with Duncan Rabagliati and Paul Sheldon. :up: :up: :up:

#105 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 14 June 2002 - 18:51

Price sound reasonable so far, but what will it go up to? I'll withdraw if anyone wants it really bad...

Stu

#106 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 14 June 2002 - 23:22

I don't know how to post a URL :confused: , but the item number is 1836572231, and it is currently at $89 US..

Stu

#107 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 19 June 2002 - 02:19

The curator of Sebring wants them. I have backed off bidding.

I am CERTAIN they belong to B.Cahier. I have told the seller this, and won't give him Cahier's address.

I have asked the seller to send the photos to me so that I can send them on to Cahier, at NO COST, of course.

If Cahier doesn't want/need them they than go to the Sebring archives at NO COST! If he wants them back, I will ask that he make copies for Sebring archives...

Stu

PS: I am sick to death of all the ***holes that try and profit from other's misfortunes...I have found that if you help people, they will help you....that's why this forumn is so damn great!!!!

#108 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 19:35

This car is the boby sport, which won the 750 class in the Dolomites race in 1947, with a BMW 2 cylinder motorcycle engine. The car was modified in Italy, and came to America as a Giaur. The car probibly had a Fiat Topo motor in it circa 1949-1951, than a Crosley was installed. The car was raced in the US starting in 1951, but was extensively modified. The car needs a lot f restoration work, but it is pretty important historically. I am not in the position to buy and restore the car (which is going to take a lot of money), but I would sure like to see it restored to "as built"....so I thought I would post the information here...

#109 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 23:30

I have advised Alberto Taraschi, the grandson of the builder of the Urania, Giaur and Taraschi cars about this car. It is possible that the car might have been brought to Taraschi for the modification to Topolino power. Little is known of the history of the car in Italy or who did the modification. The chassis (obviously) had to have substantial modification to convert it from BMW to topo power. It is not known for certain if the car was switched from Topo to Crosley power before or after it came to the US, circa 1951.

I am not sure if a Nardi 750 with cycle fenders survives. I know of at least one car like that in the US, but am not sure if it is a Nardi, Bandini, or something else, as they all look rather similar.

#110 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 03:09

I've found a fair amount on e-bay, but there are too many knowledgeable people using it to obtain many bargains.

#111 JohnS

JohnS

• 295 posts

Posted 14 June 2002 - 19:41

Some late 1960s Le Mans programmes recently went for around £150, so I would think that you would be looking at several hundred pounds.

Do you have the URL for this item on e-bay? I can't seem to find it. Thanks

John

#112 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,825 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 20:42

I "viewed seller's other items" in the hope that he might have the rest of it; no he doesn't

PdeRL

#113 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,825 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 14:35

Originally posted by bill moffat
?

Keen e-bayers will know that you can peruse a members feedback on both sales and purchases. Hopefully our mystery Cosworth seller benefitted from his recently-purchased penis enlargement pills ;)

There was recently a thread on the VSCC forum about spam etc.

One chap wrote: "I cannot understand what all the fuss is about; I have been reading these messages for a couple of years and now my penis is 8 feet long."!

PdeRL

#114 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,825 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 19:50

Originally posted by Peter Morley

I was thinking it might be perfect for our Connaught spark plugs..........

Not if they are original BRM plugs of course: typically (!) BRM had special plugs of 9/16" rather than 14mm like the rest of the racers at the time!

PdeRL

#115 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,825 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 16:47

Originally posted by David Beard

I thought that Bugatti was a wonderful design. I thought it should have worked. I would really love to have a valve spring from it....

I'm with you on that David.

PdeRL

#116 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 1,582 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 00:25

If anyone needs a hint for my upcoming birthday present...
:wave: ;)

#117 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 1,582 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 16:39

I've picked up several great motorsports items on ebay. The above advice is pretty good to follow.

#118 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,883 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 20:03

Originally posted by dolomite
Simon Lewis Transport books is selling this video made from amateur super 8 film taken at Brands in 1968. Has anybody seen/bought a copy? Is it any good?

BRITISH GP 1968 video of original Super 8

It's lovely.

#119 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,883 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 15:24

mmmm..

"This is the type that would have been used by Jim Clark, Graham Hill and all the greats of this era." :rotfl:

Advertisement

#120 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,883 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 22:04

Thanks for that. I've e mailed the current owner requesting bore and stroke, perhaps I have a set of pistons somewhere that will fit..but more realistically I need to know which wine bottles will fit ;)

I think Honda did one bike engine with Mateus bores, but it was banned.

#121 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,883 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 22:23

Originally posted by Barry Boor
....what a silly idea!

For those who never followed it, 4 gen-yoo-wine 1998 Benetton F.1 cars were for sale, as 1 lot on Ebay.

The optimistic seller started the bidding at $750,000 and it absoluted rocketed up to $753,100, :rolleyes: where it finished. It never made it's reserve, (whatever that was). So the whole thing was a waste of time. I can't imagine what the guy was thinking...

BTW, NO, I never bid.

I hope this doesn't mean that you and your cousin are considering..... :eek:

#122 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,883 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 20:26

Originally posted by Gav Astill

Roger Stones car (SL21) was prepared by one Tony Steele when Roger raced it. Tony is, I believe, a friend of some of the TNFers who hold gatherings here "oop north" (David Beard et al). Maybe one of this fine gents could help shed light on this ?

A peep at your profile tells us you live in Cheshire....see you next week, Gav?

#123 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,883 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 20:11

Somewhere I have a coffee tin full of Lodge racing plugs (all oiled up) I used in my kart in the 70s. They look just the same with the pink insulator. I also have a very nice victorian drawing instrument case, with blue velvet lining....thinks ;) :love:

#124 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,883 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 12:43

Originally posted by Mike Lawrence
IEoin took the view that someone, somewhere, out there, would be a potential customer for anything he had. He obtained a stock of authentic unused hairpin valve springs made for the 1956 Bugatti T251. Each one came neatly wrapped in a polythene bag with a label announcing its provenance.

One day he offered me a Bugatti valvespring as a freebie. I turned him down. What on earth use is a valve spring made for a crap car? It is stretching the imagination to describe it as being of historical importance.

I thought that Bugatti was a wonderful design. I thought it should have worked. I would really love to have a valve spring from it....

#125 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,883 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 20:54

Originally posted by ghinzani
This chap wonders if John Barnard designed his 1960s kiddie kart:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm saying nowt lad..

Tom Barnard, perhaps?

#126 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,883 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 11:36

Originally posted by Vitesse2
I bought this on eBay the other day:

Posted Image

It's a paperback edition of "Touch Wood", which I've never come across before. Apparently published by someone called Speed And Sports Publications in 1971. Was this perhaps only available from a certain Surrey garage? No copies on ABEbooks, so I suspect I may have picked up a real rarity for the princely sum of just £7.46!

I bought the same edition on EBay about three years ago. Can't remember what I paid but I'm sure it was more than that, Richard.

#127 Dave Wright

Dave Wright

• 267 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 12:55

I too still buy most of my second-hand books from bookshops or through Abebooks, but for ages I'd been looking for a reasonably priced copy of Autocourse 1966, and was having no luck. I tried eBay and manged to get a copy for a quarter the price at a bookshop. I'm sure the price reflected the condition (no dust jacket, some damage to the spine) but as I wanted the book as a source of information rather than as a collector's item it was fine. It does seem a crazy world where for some books you are paying at least half the price for the the dust jacket.

#128 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 17:57

This car was purchased less than two years ago and has been run in several historic Formula 1 events. The Ferrari "Corse Clienti" program helped set up the car and offered additional race support in such events as the 2004 Monaco Historic Grand Prix and the 2004 Monterey Historics. There are less than two hours on the engine and the car is race-ready.

Included in the sale is everything you will need to run the car (spare wheels, high pressure air hose, fuel filler, fuel pump, starter, jacks, body stands, F1 hub tools and a new set of front tires). Other than two sets of wheels, we have no other spares. Ferrari doesn't sell parts, they operate an exchange program only - if you break a wing or other vital piece, you can purchase a replacement by returning the broken one.

We offer worldwide shipping and have an excellent crew who fully understand this highly technical piece of Ferrari racing history. For a fee, we can deliver the car anywhere and teach your crew the basics of successfully running it.

Serious buyers, please feel free to ask any questions via email or call Patrick Van Schoote at Symbolic Motors (858-454-1800).

www.symbolicmotors.com
http://cgi.ebay.com/...4543464811&rd=1

#129 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 20:07

A lot of autographed Elford pictures are auctionned now on ebay. I thought some of you may be interested.
Take a look at :

http://www.stores.eb...tml?col=4&dir=1

#130 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 16:29

My brother has the video since I don't know when and it's been quite a while that I saw it but it is great and I mean great stuff. You won't regret buying it.

#131 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 14:19

This lot could be useful to someone who's got the space and the interest in 'modern' F1 - a load of copies of MN

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...&category=48443

Description:

Remember Mansell's tyre exploding? Senna hitting Irvine? Prost vs Senna (both times), Schumacher's first race? Hakkinen crying? Panis winning? I have a Motoring / Motorsport News for every Grand Prix (except literally 2 or 3 I missed) between 1985 and 2001 inclusive. Also many other copies of note, eg. Le Mans write-ups, RAC rallies. I need room in my loft, so they're up for sale. You'll need to collect them from Hertfordshire, or pay for them to be transported (about 6 A4 boxes full). This is a rare opportunity to relive those F1 memories and have a record of what was written when it actually happened.

Sounds like it'd be useful someone in the South East with a bit of storage space...

No connection to the seller, just thought this would be of interest to people here.

#132 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 15:52

If you see a book you fancy at a bargain price, the golden rule (IMHO) is to search abebooks or a similar shopfront for dealers, look at the prices there, and if you can find the same book there in similar condition, limit your bid to a couple of pounds/dollars less than the abebooks price - that way, you might get your bargain from Ebay, if you don't, you know you can get it for about the same price from a dealer.

Don't ever get carried away by bidding wars!

Beware also of people who have low reserves, but charge ruinous P&P, or put on extra charges for using PayPal.

At the moment Unique Motor Books are selling a lot of their stock on Ebay; they're a sort of downmarket Brooklands Books and some of their stuff is pretty informative, but rather tatty-looking!

URLs of interest to the TNF community (in Rightpondia, anyway) include:

http://listings.ebay...ex.html?from=R9 - Books, Comics and Magazines > Antiquarian and Collectable > Motoring

http://listings.ebay...ex.html?from=R9 - Books, Comics and Magazines > Non-Fiction > Sports > Motor Sports

http://listings.ebay...ex.html?from=R9 - Automotive > Automobilia > Other

http://listings.ebay...ex.html?from=R9 - Automotive > Automobilia > Literature > Books

(There are presumably equivalent classes for Ebay USA - start at http://www.ebay.com and browse the categories...)

#133 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 00:41

I do kind of object to the custom that any routine transaction that works properly automatically results in mutual positive feedback - in an ideal world, a transaction that goes OK would just get you a neutral, and only ones where either party really moves heaven and earth to complete the deal should get a positive.

Really, they should separate completion of transactions from quality of them, I think.

(And reputation should take some account of the monetary worth of the goods you've traded!)

But, the Ebay culture is that any run-of-the-mill transaction should result in mutual "A+++++ SUPER EBAYER HIGHLY RECOMMENDED", so I guess we all play along with it...;)

#134 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 03:01

Originally posted by ensign14
But this does mean that a lot of people will not bid...which will drop the price heavily...I got the 2nd edition of the Rothmans Football Yearbook in excellent condition for £20, when 2 other auctions at the same time for the same item ended at double that - because the first seller would only take a cheque.

(Also if the same item is up twice simultaneously the first tends to go cheaper - everyone holds back for the second.)

People also get so caught up in a bidding war that they go way above what an item costs on the high street or from a reputable dealer. So watch for that.

Having just made £18.50 on a book I thought was possibly just about worth the 99p I listed it for, I'm perfectly willing to defend free trade ;)

#135 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 16:12

Originally posted by David Lawson
I recently bought a slot car on ebay from a seller in Leeds - I live in Southend on Sea, settled by PayPal and waited for the post expecting the usual week or so for the delivery.

The following day the item was delivered to my door by a friend who lives one road from me!

He had used another sellers account so I hadn't recognised him during the auction.

David

LOL - I once posted a cheque to the next-door neighbour of a guy I buy from regularly - brain fade caused me to post it to No. 1 rather than No. 3 - fortunately he was able to recover it ;)

#136 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 10:05

Well, I scored an interesting bargain this weekend - a Palawan book for 25 quid!

(Admittedly it was only the "cooking" Palawan edition of Setright's "Drive On!" - not the Granta Press reprint).

Not sure the seller realised what he was sitting on. I may well read it and Ebay it on, just to see what difference a good advert can make! (not being the world's greatest LJKS fan...)

pete

#137 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 15:08

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...4135808291&rd=1

Claims to be a "1.5l Cosworth F1 engine from the 60s". Looks like a 120-degree V6.

Could this be a GB v6 block? - 120-degree V6, certainly.

Or could it be something that Cosworth would rather not admit to?

Interesting anyway, and something I'd bid on if I had any house-room for it.......;)

Certainly worth 30 quid of anyone's money!

#138 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 15:34

Originally posted by David Beard
mmmm..

"This is the type that would have been used by Jim Clark, Graham Hill and all the greats of this era." :rotfl:

Yerrrs.

My thinking is it is either a GB from 86-7, or it's something that Cosworth would rather not admit to - ISTR reading in Robson that there was a 120deg 2l F2 V6 that never saw the light of day......;)

#139 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 21:31

Originally posted by squidbreath
chevy vega cosworth.

Straight-four.;)

Advertisement

#140 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 21:34

Originally posted by JtP

Think you are absolutely right Pete, somewhere in the back of my memory is a mid 70s Cosworth V6 that was never used for its intended task. Did some of them end up in hillclimb cars?

You might be thinking of either the GA (which was originally developed as an F5000 engine, dohc engines were allowed in at a reduced capacity and did rather well, and later turned up on the hills), or the ex-Opel Class 1 touring car engine that's doing rather well on the hills now....

#141 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 21:36

And naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, it looks nowt like a Clisby V6, I had to look didn't I?;)

#142 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 00:04

Originally posted by Vitesse2

And here's a classic example of how NOT to bid on eBay! I thought my eyes needed testing when I saw the price this was standing at ....

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...2490219182&rd=1

£88.50 for a 1947 Racing Car Review!!! That is nearly six times the price of the most expensive copy on ABE (currently there are five) and that's got a dust jacket!!!

The seller must think Christmas has come early ....

Stone me, for that much I'd expect WB to come round and read it to me in person, plus a verified selection of hairs from Jenks' beard! Still, it's nice to know there are still people out there with more money than sense...

#143 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 12:29

BRM spark plug case, from the V16 years - presented to the seller by Cyril Atkins....

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...bayphotohosting

I just *drooled* over this. I have no idea what I'd do with it, or where I'd put it, so I didn't bid - but I'm sure this is just the kind of thing some of the BRM heads here would love....

No connection with the seller - just thought this was a place where someone who might appreciate it and what it means would be!

#144 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 14:40

Tempted, but who on earth is Mr "Vauxhallmotorsport".

His name appears to be Colin....

#145 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 14:59

Originally posted by ian senior

......Crabbe? Or is he no longer with us?

Entirely plausible, Colin Crabbe's Antique Automobiles business was in Baston, which is between Bourne and Market Deeping on the A15 - which would explain why an ex-BRM guy would have been working with him. Think you've got it in one.

#146 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 15:57

He was quite young when he ran his F1 team - mid/late 30s I think - which I think would put him in his early/mid 70s these days.

#147 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 21:12

Georgano up for grabs - £4.99 with no bidders....

If you don't already have a copy... you need one.

#148 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 13:31

No connection here but.....

Time and Two Seats at £40 finishing on xmas day

If you don't..... you really, really should.

The catch is, you need to collect from Norfolk (or I guess you could get it couriered.... still cheaper than the alternatives!)

Edit 2 - ah, I see someone's obviously having trouble shifting them!.

Edit 3 - this one's got a load of duplicated and missing pages. Er.... I wouldn't bother. Sorry![/b].

#149 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,138 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 15:32

Interesting to see the kind of bids this lot would raise. I had a complete set from 1970 to 1982, and binned the lot when I moved house in 1988 ( and now wish I hadn't, but I was so anti-motor sport at the time I just didn't care). Wonder how much they would have fetched?

#150 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,138 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 14:55

Originally posted by petefenelon

His name appears to be Colin....

......Crabbe? Or is he no longer with us?