The eBay thread - post your news here!

• Please log in to reply
890 replies to this topic

#151 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,139 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 15:04

Originally posted by petefenelon

Entirely plausible, Colin Crabbe's Antique Automobiles business was in Baston, which is between Bourne and Market Deeping on the A15 - which would explain why an ex-BRM guy would have been working with him. Think you've got it in one.

And having ferreted about a bit more, I gather he's involved with some vintage Vauxhall activities. Ah, the wonders of Google......

Advertisement

#152 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,139 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 15:48

Originally posted by MCS

Still can't link "Mr Vauxhallmotorsport" with Colin Crabbe somehow...

Ignore the context of chavs bombing about in Corsas and Astras. Google led me to some references of Colin Crabbe being involved with sporting events in the cars the likes of Vauxhall 30/98s. You know it makes sense....

#153 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,139 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 15:58

Originally posted by MCS
Okay Ian.

Wonder how old CC is ?

Mark

I guess he's no youngster, which is why I wondered if he was still around. But as he's clearly au-fait with th'internet, it would be nice if he would join us on here, as he must have some good tales to tell, and lots of information to share.

#154 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,139 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:44

Originally posted by petefenelon
Georgano up for grabs - £4.99 with no bidders....

If you don't already have a copy... you need one.

Rip off. I paid £4 for mine, brand new, in 1974.

#155 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,139 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:15

Originally posted by David Beard

Tom Barnard, perhaps?

Yes, and it's not really a kart in the accepted sense of the word - it's one of Tom's "Formula 6" cars.

#156 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,139 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 15:38

Originally posted by mctshirt
Fundraiser with a difference:

Bob McMurray drawing of Graham Hill
http://www.trademe.c...on-81001664.htm

A drawing by John Surtees
http://www.trademe.c...on-81002315.htm

A drawing by Emerson Fittipaldi
http://www.trademe.c...on-80992584.htm

Didn't realise that Surtees and Fittipaldi were New Zealanders.

#157 Garrypolled

Garrypolled

• 24 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 15:29

There were some Cosworth, turbocharged V6 engines, bulilt in the 70's. Maybe it's one of those?

#158 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 00:30

I'm another experienced buyer, and I support the advice tendered above.

For technical questions with regard to rights and responsibilities, you may find your answers in a google of the group
alt.marketing.onliine.ebay

There are helpful and knowledgable people there among the kooks, and nearly every question is answered in short order. Kind of an eBay TNF.

I have perfected the last-possible-bid technique. And I use it just as Criceto says: I show my interest and do not drop in out of the sky at the last second.

Speaking of which, if the bidding has progressed beyond (but not too far beyond) what I will pay, and I am confident that the current winning bid is lower than the leader's proxy bid, I will make that last-second bid of one increment higher. I hope and expect not to win, and never have under these circumstances, but it shows my ability to do so, had I wanted to. See there?

During the last ten minutes of an auction I first bid on yesterday, the competition was within one increment (two Pounds Sterling at that time) of the retail price of the item. I started researching, and found I could get the same thing, custom made to my color and accessories specification, for just that increment more. The other person's bids had consistently been five increments from the outbid bid, so I confidently bid, with ONE second to go, and sure enough my one increment drove his proxy to two increments. He won at two pounds over the retail price. I turned around and for the same money got one exactly the way I wanted it.

See how it works. (Works its way under your skin. Flee!)

The only continuing down-side to eBay (other than short-term, small losses that smart) in my experience is the investment of time, if browsing for serendipitous outcomes is the goal. There is no way to narrow the search if you don't know what you are after. If what you want is specific, there are techniques to get right down to it.

To quote from one of my essays on another eBay theme:
I have yet to withhold feedback or give feedback because of threat or importune. Like
one-day-at-a-time, a single decision is sufficient. I give feedback. Period. I don't complain when I get none. I take the lack of principle required to browbeat or beg for feedback, or to fail to
leave feedback, as indicative of the character of the bully, beggar, or inattentive sloth. Their faults do not reflect on me, nor do they influence to a great extent the likelihood of my purchasing from them if they have what I want at a price I would pay (I want that naked mole-rat trophy, desperately).

After all that rattling-on, I think what I'm saying is: Feedback Vigilance is an artifact of eBay, a significant one, but an artifact, nonetheless. That means it could disappear tomorrow, and the eBay organism would continue. It might limp a little, and drool a little more, but the underlying commerce would go on and on and on.

#159 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 03:59

Originally posted by dretceterini
I've found a fair amount on e-bay, but there are too many knowledgeable people using it to obtain many bargains.

You're right in that regard. There was a time . . .

I'm being driven away from the scene by the guys who figure, if it is worth a bid, it's worth a hundred dollars. Items I won two years ago for six or seven dollars now get bid up to fifty, and then the hammer comes along with the last minute automatic bid and carries it away for $90.99, frustrating the quiet $89.99 bidder, and me.

Don is right. It's not worth it.

I can quit any time.

Advertisement

#160 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 20:55

Originally posted by Frank S

You're right in that regard. There was a time . . .

I'm being driven away from the scene by the guys who figure, if it is worth a bid, it's worth a hundred dollars. Items I won two years ago for six or seven dollars now get bid up to fifty, and then the hammer comes along with the last minute automatic bid and carries it away for $90.99, frustrating the quiet $89.99 bidder, and me.

Don is right. It's not worth it.

I can quit any time.

BUT I didn't. Thank goodness.

A month or so ago I "won" a batch of six little photo "books" vaguely described as "Early 1950s Hot Rod Race Photos - California?"

Well, I finally got around to looking at them. Sixty-three well-preserved pictures with images about 4x2.5 inches. From a Torrey Pines race of (I'm pretty sure) December, 1952 or January, 1953, as reported in Auto Sport Review April 1953.

I've only seen what's in the first two of six, and have posted them to FotoTime in "Old Torrey Books" 1 through 6 (although 3 - 6 are as yet unpopulated).

In the books already there you can see photos of:

The Aardvark, or another early Panhard-engined special
Barlow-Simca specials and a few I can't begin to name
Phil Hill in the main event-winning C-type Jaguar, blurred but first
What I wanted to call a "Muntz" but now believe to be "Edwards" or some such
The Manning Special, flathead Forded and skinny-tired
The Parkinson Jaguar Special of Phil Hill's brother-in-law
More than one Allard
A couple GT coupes, maybe early Ferraris and/or an Alfa
Gaggle of Jaguar XK-120s
A Mille Miglia OSCA 1100 that outran Johnny von Neumann's Porsche
1942 Chrysler Newport "Pace Car"
My—that's MY—1949 Ford Tudor, and two of my friends
The—that's THE—Morgensen Special, in Dick Morgensen's novice debut
(Way I understand it, this is the car that evolved into the Ol' Yellar pater familius)

Must be near forty left to reveal!

I'm thrilled and delighted. Less than a dollar each.

eBay.

"Preserving our heritage in ways we could never have anticipated."

Frank S
San Diego California
USA

#161 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 23:31

Here's an opportunity for some Lola T400 documents:
search for eBay item #8808306985

#162 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 22:02

http://cgi.ebay.com/...emZ190066656213

I spent the dollars for this VHS tape and don't regret it. Worth it to me because of the era, and because I was there for the 1958 edition.

None of the three years' reproduction quality is as good as "good"; clearly (advised use) third- or later generation recordings. 1959 is silent, and since it was produced by or for Porsche—of whom I have only passing knowledge—I could use some narration.

First two years seem to be AMOCO-oriented, with relatively even-handed emphasis among the front-runner brands. MG receives some coverage that looks familiar; I think it shows up in an MG-racing video I have or saw somewhere.

Plenty of familiar faces discernable among the washed-out generation failures, some interesting vignettes of some of my heroes as they interact with one another and prepare for the racing.

Photography angles corrected a mis-memory I had: my impression was that the abandoned buildings along the approach to the hairpin (whence this photo was made:
http://home.san.rr.c...es/Sebri43o.jpg) were closer to the turn than is shown on film.

I'd guess there is a cleaner version of this material elsewhere, and until I run across it, this is better than nothing.

Seller has numerous other auto-oriented videos for Buy It Now.

--
Frank S

#163 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 19:01

Originally posted by Twin Window
[
3) Use the 'snipe' approach whereby you utilise additionally downloaded software (and cheap to use) to bid for you remotely on your behalf at a pre-determined time; the default is normally 5 seconds before the auction ends.

! [/B]

Does anybody know where to obtain such software ?

cheers

Paul

#164 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,407 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 15:27

some evocative stuff here and I am saddened by the apparent lack of interest. Just take a look at the picture of Vic in the Can-Am Shadow, that must have taken some balls...

#165 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,407 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 10:40

My lads need a new engine for their racing Kart, so we agreed on a touch of e-baying. 2 weeks later and 2 (duplicated) copies of Autocourse, a broken Playstation 2 console (I hasten to add advertised as such) and a copy of the Colin McRae rally 3 PC game have realised over £150.00.

As a seller you will often benefit from buyers who strap on the blinkers and bid upwards to crazy figures. I bid on a 2nd hand Saab Turbo dump valve a couple of weeks ago, I bailed out at approx, 1/2 the value of a new item. The auction winner bid slightly in excess of the value of a new item !!

#166 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,407 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 10:40

...but still 4 days to go, I reckon they'll make 150 bucks easily....

#167 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,407 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 20:21

Very interesting. Whatever the provenance it would still make a damn good wine rack or similar. I think I'm now top bidder, wish me luck..

#168 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,407 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 21:04

Originally posted by bertocchi
I won't fight you for it on eBay, however if you get it...and get tired of it...I'll buy it from you. As they say here in Hawaii...fur-eal!

Thanks for that. I've e mailed the current owner requesting bore and stroke, perhaps I have a set of pistons somewhere that will fit..but more realistically I need to know which wine bottles will fit ;)

#169 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,407 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 08:15

If the e-bay plan works then the block will become home to some Cabernet from the Andretti vinery in the Napa Valley. Seems as though Mario is good at most things that he turns his attention to.

OK, if we are talking wine what other wines have motor sporting/F1 connections ? There are quite a few !

#170 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,407 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 13:56

I'm still the highest bidder and have already measured up for a nice mahogany plinth for my Andretti wine rack.

Seems strange that a e-bayer who has sold (with accurate descriptions) so many motor-racing orientated items was so wide of the mark with this one. Does he really believe that Jimmy and Graham won championships with a Cossie V6 or is it just a bit of over-enthusiastic salesmanship?

Keen e-bayers will know that you can peruse a members feedback on both sales and purchases. Hopefully our mystery Cosworth seller benefitted from his recently-purchased penis enlargement pills ;)

#171 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,407 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 19:58

OK so the consensus is that we have a GB block here. I'm quite comfortable with the concept of an ex Jonesey wine rack. He's my sort of chap, calls a spade a f****** shovel and likes his pint.

So the left bank will filled by a bottle of Andretti Cabernet, a bottle of Le Petoulet from Trintignant's vineyard in Languedoc and Pierlant champagne to toast the 20th anniversary of Pescarolo's Le Mans win for Joest ( marrying into a champagne family, that is smart Henri).

Talking of e bay there has been a stunning "crash" in Le Mans ticket prices this year. My spare Maison Blanche ticket has reached an unimpressive £18 with 4 hours to go...

#172 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,407 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 13:58

Tempted, but who on earth is Mr "Vauxhallmotorsport". I note that he refers to Cyril Atkins as being "my" chief mechanic so a certain level of seniority is suggested. He lives in Lincs. so I guess that's a pretty good start.

Incidentally I seem to remember that a bit of BRM factory wall came up for auction at some point, the unique selling point being the firing order for the V16 scrawled on the brickwork...

#173 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,407 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 19:21

Well someone has to get the bids rolling (please don't tell my wife)....

#174 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,407 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 15:18

Gutted. Sick as a parrot. Back of the net. Better team won on the day etc.

Despite the lack of BRM identification I thought this plug box would have fetched several hundreds at auction. Buying something off Colin Crabbe gives the added comfort of confidence as to the provenance.

I was astonished that my opening bid of £125 survived until the very last few minutes of the auction..only for the inevitable "snipe". At a time when I should have been studiously defending my bid I was diverted by other more urgent professional matters. Damn.

#175 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,407 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 22:12

Originally posted by ensign14
Ah, Bill, you shouldn't be too disappointed if you were willing to pay no more than £125...Lord knows how far up MPea3 went, but you are not saddled with overpaying for something just for the sake of it.

Ensign..no secret about the winning bid, just £127 !!

I reckon that this was a stunning bargain given the astronomical figures that some dubious motor sporting items have reached recently. My only comfort is that the item has fallen into the deserved hands of one of "us" (as long as he has no plans to convert it into some form of miniature violin case !).

I'll e-mail CC and see if I'm eligible for some sort of consolation prize, a Cooper Maserati would do nicely under the Xmas tree.

PS..isn't/wasn't hill-climber Peter Voigt a vioin maker ?

#176 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,407 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 23:04

Sorry, too late in the evening to devote too much energy to a reply to the above post. Suffice to say I could not agree less.

The BRM V16 was a "crap car" in the same way that Stirling Moss was, no doubt, a crap driver for not winning the World Championship. No I wouldn't bid a great deal for a Bugatti T251 valve spring but the V16 plug case is, as Pete originally suggested, an evocative item. The fact that Colin Crabbe was revealed as the vendor added to the attraction.

I can't comment on the final paragraph of Mr Lawrence's contribution..it makes little sense to me.

#177 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,407 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 11:20

Originally posted by Mike Lawrence
Maybe we should start a thread for really useless old tat.

Somewhere I have a tin of STP fuel additive. So what? But this is a 1970 tin of STP given to me by Robin Herd. It is a small part of the original STP sponsorship deal with March. Is that useless old tat, or what? Except it is Formula One-related useless old tat.

Sorry but a) I wouldn't want to buy your can of STP and b) I think you're adopting a slightly high and mighty attitude here.

Peoples attitudes and values differ. I'm sure MPea3 will display his BRM case proudly and I would do the same. I wouldn't queue up to buy your Bugatti valve spring but doubtless others might. The fact that their values or tastes may differ from yours should not make them an object of your derision. I could say the same about Man. Utd. supporters who you rather inelegantly slagged off in your "Lurker" contribution last night.

In the corner of my office at work I have a shelf which holds various personal memorobilia. An old Le Mans pit pass, my father's wartime medical kit, a bust of Nuvolari and a very bent Cooper S valve spring (a testament to my first attempts at A series engine tuning.) No doubt this would all be "tat" to you, but most definitely not to me.

#178 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,407 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 12:05

Originally posted by ensign14
Could have been a grand, the way ebay works, though. Just that £127 was the minimum needed.

er yes...but surely that is what defines an auction.

#179 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,407 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 13:14

A copy of Georgano's Encyclopaedia of Motor Sport in "excellent" condition has just five hours to go, no bidders and a starting price of £12...anyone ?

Advertisement

#180 xflow7

xflow7

• 3,036 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 20:51

There are a few GBA's here:

http://www.race-cars...077724596ss.htm

If only I had that kind of change lying around. I'm sure I could figure a way to cram it in the Caterham. :cool:

#181 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 1,888 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 10:31

Originally posted by Barry Boor
....what a silly idea!

For those who never followed it, 4 gen-yoo-wine 1998 Benetton F.1 cars were for sale, as 1 lot on Ebay.

The optimistic seller started the bidding at $750,000 and it absoluted rocketed up to $753,100, :rolleyes: where it finished. It never made it's reserve, (whatever that was). So the whole thing was a waste of time. I can't imagine what the guy was thinking...

BTW, NO, I never bid.

I thought the funniest bit was that he reduced the reserve after listing the cars and they still failed to reach the lower amount.

Given that he had already failed to sell them, he can hardly have been a surprise to discover that Ebay is not full of people prepared to spend over a million on some badly described cars.

It actually serves a pretty good purpose. For $40.00 USD you can list a car (or cars in this case) and the world can see them. Many owners will list cars that they have no real intentions of selling via eBay, they just want to get the cars in front of the right audience and as such it's a very cheap way of advertising when compared to what it would cost to run an ad in a enthusiast publication (with what is essentially a limited audience). Buyers know the cars are for sale and can contact the owners during or after the auction to move forward with purchasing. When you look at it from a cost standpoint it's a real bargain.

It might have been cheap to list them on Ebay but the adverts for the Ebay auction in Autosport (and others?) cost a fortune, surely he would have been better just putting a price in the advert and sticking with trying to sell them normally!

#182 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 1,888 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 15:06

Originally posted by rdrcr

Really!?!

You like paying retail?

Ebay is great for buying or selling damn near anything. As mentioned, it is one of the best ways of reaching a world-wide market for just a few bucks. Though it is still a course of buyer beware, just like any other place.

Don't knock it till you've tried it...

;)

I've tried Ebay quite a lot and find it is very good for buying many things at trade price, as a distributor who only works with 'real' shops I know this is terrible for the shops, and wonder why the people involved sell for no gain. But as a customer it keeps my bank happy - but I know that is only a short term thing, killing the shops business will cause a lot of them to close.

(As for their associate company Paypal, as a non-US citizen I can't warn enough people about avoiding their shoddy service).

As for selling, Ebay seems to be a good place to sell items that are normally hard to sell (e.g. crap), but I find that good items rarely reach a good price (unless you get the rare situation where 2 people put in high bids just to make sure they win the item), much easier to sell them in the normal specialist marketplace.

Most of the high profile, expensive items fail to sell - the Spitfire had a lot of publicity in the press and did not attract a single bid, and the people selling it did not need to raise awareness in themselves, since anyone who is seriously thinking of buying a Spitfire or similar would easily find out who the specialists are (and it is pretty unlikely that someone would spend a million plus on an impulse Ebay purchase!!).

As for selling Benettons Matthew Mortlock has done very well at selling them conventionally, more than likely he supplied the Ebay vendor, having cleared them out when Renault took over (despite the attraction of numerous Schumacher cars, Renault wanted to make a total break from the team's past). He could certainly supply a similar set of cars for less than the opening bid in this auction.

#183 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 1,888 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 16:03

Originally posted by Dennis Hockenbury
Pete, I'm with you on this as I have no idea what I would do with such an item either. But I would dearly love to buy it and make sure that it gets in a proper place like Donington.

I was thinking it might be perfect for our Connaught spark plugs..........

Admittedly the Connaught only has half as many plugs as the V-16 but we do seem to spend a lot of time messing around with them (especially in the freezing cold at Aintree - or so I was told by those that didn't stay at home!).

At least it would get used as it was intended - I will be keeping an eye on it, in the hope that it doesn't prove anything like as popular as a piece of toast did recently.

#184 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 1,888 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 14:45

Originally posted by Don Speekingleesh
While postage charges can be higher on books, a lot of eBayers I find make their money on the postage charges as a way to make their auction price look better.

It is also a technique to reduce the seller's Ebay fees (which are surprisingly high).

Ebay don't take a cut of the postage price, so if you sell the items for a low price and include the real cost in the postage price then Ebay only get a small fee.

For example there is an Asian company making/selling guitars on Ebay where the purchase price of the guitar is a few dollars but the shipping fee is over 100 dollars - that way you pay the correct price for the item and Ebay only receive a minimal payment (which is about all they merit - all Ebay does is put you in contact with the purchaser).

The problem with books or any other heavy item is that postage charges for items above 2 Kg are very high (they are already high at 2 Kg), but that is a problem for anyone selling books - Amazon's shipping fees can be very high as well.

The only company I've found with reasonable prices for books are play.com - who include shipping in their (usually very low) price.

#185 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 1,888 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 17:37

Originally posted by simon drabble
30k sounds an awful lot of money for a car that when finished will probably be 50k and completely uncompetitive - would it get FIA papers?

The seller suggests it will be worth as much as a Lotus 23 when it is finished e.g. 60 grand.
But a Lotus 23 will have a twin-cam in it and they don't sell at 60 grand.

Comparing to an 1100cc Lotus 23 might be realistic, but are there any of them? And given there are no races for 1100cc cars there isn't a lot you could do with it which will keep the price down.

A finished price of 45 grand would be more realistic (maybe start at 50, as you say) and I doubt you'd have people falling over themselves at that.

It should get FIA papers as being of historic significance, but you'd still need to find somewhere to use it.

#186 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 1,888 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 21:14

I thought the seller was a TNFer.
A freind has a very similar Terrier - it has an 1100cc engine and he is limited in where he can race it (like me he is outside the UK which rules out some of the more open UK classes), he would happily sell that if he could get Lotus 23 money for it!

The Elva mark 7 prototype started at $100k! but soon dropped - I think someone here might have bought it? The big advantage with that is it had the body and is a known (competitive) type of car.

There are a couple of Merlyns with 1100cc engines that have been for sale, they might give a better indication of price.

As you say most 23s started without twin-cams but have been upgraded (and are still described as original!), presumably Graham Capel's new book on them will give a good idea of the relative numbers produced.

I've talked to several dealers about the Goodwood/Monaco effect and the consencus seems to be that prior to these events cars are a bit easier to sell but it doesn't really increase the price.

I know what you mean about preferring your car to a 23, it is nice to have something different (and easier to get entries to the more popular events) and you can always blame the car if you don't win! There are plenty of people who want something different, likewise there are people (usually more competitive) who will only consider the car that won the last race.

The big issue with your car is how much it will cost to make the body, I think if you made the body you would sell it quite easily otherwise you need to find someone who is capable of making it themselves.

If I had any spare money your car would probably join my collection, for the same reasons as you like it!

Good luck
Peter

#187 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 1,888 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 15:20

Originally posted by simon drabble
Its a bit like the twin cam F3 cars of the early 70's, really pretty and some have had great names driving them but they are worth less than teh sum of teh engine and hewland box because they are no match for the later F3 cars which can run with them.

And 60's 1,000 cc F3 cars, virtually the same a Formula Juniors but half the price - if you can find a buyer.

#188 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 1,888 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:19

Originally posted by David Birchall
A new handle, new blade, but the same old thing....
http://cgi.ebay.com/...=ADME:B:EF:US:2

Interesting car - I don't know what half the bits on it are!

Any idea what the following are:
Gilmer Drive?
Deves Rings?
Wide Ratio Cortina trans?
Summers Brothers axles?

Good to know it could come with the original chassis & MGA engine, not sure why it should have a 1300cc crossflow engine if it had an MG one originally? A lot of Ginettas now run 1300cc pre-crossflows, but you wouldn't get away with a crossflow.

Could make a nice historic car if you raised the ride height, threw away the rose joints, fitted the right engine etc etc.

#189 Ron Scoma

Ron Scoma

• 244 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 06:57

Starting a new thread if I may......

I look at eBay as a giant swap meet or autojumble, sometimes you find bargains and sometimes you don't.
If you go to Beaulieu for example you are dependent on the weather, if someone actually brought the item you're looking for, actually finding the item, and if you're lucky enough to get that far ... negotiating a price you feel comfortable in paying.
Ebay eliminates all the discomfort, and chance, of the above. I have found items that I haven't seen in 20 years come up for sale. It does seem to bring things out of the attic so to speak. I don't have time to go to every show or every shop in my area, let alone the world so eBay helps me fill in the blanks in my collection. This is important to me as I like European cars and racing and there are fewer items in the States than on the Continent (and the UK of course).
The only strategy I have to offer is to bid the amount you fell comfortable in paying, sometimes you'll be successful and sometimes you wont, just like in every other aspect of life. If you are successful you will have an item at a price you feel is fair, if you do not get the item you will sleep well in knowing that you didn't over pay.
Having said that...I still like the camaraderie of the meets and shows, but it's not an either-or situation (at least until the money runs out).

Cheers,

Ron Scoma

#190 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,073 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 17:45

"Summerset" :rotfl:

#191 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,073 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 22:09

Originally posted by Kpy

Old CC. Him fine!!

With apologies I hope to one Grant, C. :rotfl:

#192 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,073 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 02:51

Originally posted by Kpy

OK. Sorry, Archie Leach. Or was it his agent who sent that famous reply?
;)

And name the famous 1990s movie whose lead character was named Archie Leach?

Sorry Twinnie - I know it is OTT but couldn't resist.

I do hope it was Cary Grant who penned the response - somehow so fits the image.

#193 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,073 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 05:20

Originally posted by Dennis Hockenbury
A Fish Called Wanda. But it was released in 1988.

You are right - on both counts :blush: (I should've checked and it is a sign of getting old when I cannot believe that movie is now 16 years old! - 16 year old movies should be in black and white!!!!!)

#194 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,073 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 22:54

Originally posted by Mike Lawrence
............. did like to boast that he was never knowling OVERsold and in most cases he was right.

Brilliant :rotfl:

#195 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,073 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 15:10

What was that line of Jane Austen's about "one half of the world not understanding the pleasures of the other?" Enjoy it MPea! And, man, if you can get your son to understand and follow your passion - you are ahead of the pack!

Incidentally I don't see the offence in Mike's writing that others may - John Fowles articulation of why he wrote the Aristos in a dogmatic tone comes to mind (well, if I'm being literary today.......... :blush:) " By stating baldly what I believe I hope to force you to state baldly what you believe. I do not expect agreement. if I wanted that I should have written in a very different form and style and wrapped my pills in the usual sugar coating. I am not, in short, pleading a case."

Ciao

#196 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 350 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 20:21

...i can't win on ebay at the moment.Someone obviously with the same interests that i have is ALWAYS bidding higher than me.....he picks exactly the same stuff but seems to have heaps more money than i do...all i can do is wait till he goes on holiday....
*sigh* :cry:

#197 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 350 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:43

when you rightclick the picture and save it it says "brook2" so i guess it is Brooklands,otherwise i could not identify the pic....
cheers marty

#198 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,593 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 22:41

I believe the photo marked Daytona 1959 was according to my friend Willem Oosthoek from 1960. Nice find on the photo's though. It is a Scarab however for sure.

#199 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 379 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 17:44

Well, the Kenelm and Algernon Guinness tipple should be easy.

In fact, I think I'll have one in their honour right now.

APL

Advertisement

#200 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 16:20

Originally posted by David Beard

I think Honda did one bike engine with Mateus bores, but it was banned.

:) :up: