The eBay thread - post your news here!

• Please log in to reply
890 replies to this topic

#201 marat

marat

• 311 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 18:09

Other mis-labelled lot:
cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2480903542&category=18444&sspagename=rvi:1:3

Advertisement

#202 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,534 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:02

This car has been for sale for a while. I showed an earlier ad for it to Duncan Rabagliati a few weeks ago, and his comment was that it looks nice, but it won't be eligible for any Historic Formula Junior race. It could be fun at trackdays, though.

#203 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,534 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 20:40

It's as much a Sharknose as it is a Lotus!

#204 arcsine

arcsine

• 625 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 09:07

I've been buying and selling on eBay for a few months and have found it best when bidding to leave it until the final minute; only bidding early in an auction when its on an item or items for which there won't be serious competition. For collectables such as Autocourse its best to refrain from early bidding as all that seems to do is force the price up - and theres no point getting involved in a bidding war.

Never had any e-mails from rival bidders I've outbid though - is that commonplace?

#205 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,051 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 17:57

Originally posted by rdrcr
TNF'ers...

I have corresponded with Colin and he will be entering the TNF Forum shortly. He is in the midst of some personal matters currently, but he looks forward to logging in!

:cool:

Well done

#206 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,051 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 22:38

From discussions 'in another place' (ie Trackforum) some of the old racing cars offered appear to have, shall we say, questionable provenance. Caveat emptor!

#207 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,695 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:10

What maniac would think of equipping an "FJ" Lotus with knock-off wire wheels?

#208 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,393 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 23:23

The last-second bidding technique some have described here is commonly called "sniping." I advocate and indulge in this practice. In fact, I'll be sniping in about 90 minutes from now. I've lost several items to other snipers, but I have no animosity toward them.

As for feedback, as a buyer I expect the seller to provide positive feedback as soon as he has been paid because at that time I've performed on my end of the transaction. I simply won't provide feedback to the seller until he has done so. Most sellers I've dealt with don't mind this.

I've completed over 100 transactions as a buyer and have had only one unfortunate experience. The seller was not only dishonest and arrogant, but he had the cheek to have the ebay user name "Mark Donahue"!

Jack

#209 Gav Astill

Gav Astill

• 208 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 13:31

How about a F5000 Lola? It's at least the second time that this one has been advertised on eBay, and it didnt get any bids then either!.

LOLA T142 FORMULA 5000 (EX-SID TAYLOR)

The ex Sid Taylor T142 no. SL20 Formula 5000 1969 driven to a lap record at Brans Hatch by Tony Lanfranchi also campaigned by Robin Widdows.

This is a project car minus engine & gearbox and completely dismantled.

A unique opportunity to inspect all the components almost all of which are new.

I would be more than happy to construct this vehicle for any prospective purchaser.

Call about this car: 015394 46348 and we will answer all your questions.

Alternatively you can email me directly: c_robey@hotmail.com or via ebay.

#210 Gav Astill

Gav Astill

• 208 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 11:39

Originally posted by Gary C
is 'SL20' the right chassis number ??

I think the correct format for the chassis number should read 'SL142/20'. More interestingly the vendor "crobey" is based in Windemere (presumably the town, not the lake :lol: ) in Cumbria, which is/was also home to Roger Stone who owns/used to own the next chassis number SL142/21, which is the ex-Carl Haas machine. He certainly owned and competed in it in the late 1990's.

#211 Gav Astill

Gav Astill

• 208 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 17:01

Originally posted by David McKinney

Interestingly, and confusingly, SL/20 was being advertised on the internet as recently as four months ago by a UK seller called...Roger Stones

Roger Stones car (SL21) was prepared by one Tony Steele when Roger raced it. Tony is, I believe, a friend of some of the TNFers who hold gatherings here "oop north" (David Beard et al). Maybe one of this fine gents could help shed light on this ?

#212 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 02:28

I bet I'm the only person here (or anywhere) to buy an Aston Martin DB2 on Ebay!

And no, I shouldn't have... :eek:

David B

#213 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 03:37

Originally posted by Catalina Park

I bet I am the only person here that has bought a Morris 1100 automatic on Ebay! :lol:

:wave: Anyone who buys a Morris 1100 Automatic needs more than bloody duct tape mate!

#214 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 01:08

I missed out on buying a DB2/4 that had been fitted with Webers, Borranis etc etc and was really ticked off so I managed to contact the winning bidder. He told me that when he went around to the sellers home to pick up the car someone else from Ebay was driving away in it! To the quick go the spoils! :rotfl:

#215 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 04:27

As a calculated guess I would say that Colin Crabbe was born in 1940. His father was an enthusiastic motorist who owned a 2.9 Alfa and a new Frazer-Nash327/80 in 1937 "several years before I appeared on the scene": Supercar Classics, August 1990 profile. Crabbe admits to being at Edinburgh University in 1960 which would be about right. I met him in 1980 while buying parts for an MG K3 replica that I was working on. He invited me back to his lovely house where his very pregnant wife served us cucumber sandwiches (Thin) and gin and tonics (Strong). Lovely man.

#216 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 00:18

This has been on ebay for a few days--obviously not very original (or even real!) but it has been bid to more than the period Brabham copy from N.Ireland a few weeks ago! Caveat Emptor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

#217 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 20:17

You could always put a 'sharknose' on it and pretend it's a Ferrari :lol:

#218 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 23:35

Following on from my post in "TNF members and their cars" I found this on ebay and thought it looked like a deal: Does anybody know anything about these cars, the plate says "Made in Poland"!

http://cgi.ebay.com/...74630&rd=1&rd=1

I answered my own question by using Google--I was gobsmacked by the result:

http://www.kirkhammo...ntpage&Itemid=1

#219 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 00:28

A new handle, new blade, but the same old thing....
http://cgi.ebay.com/...=ADME:B:EF:US:2

Advertisement

#220 JtP

JtP

• 358 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 19:22

Originally posted by petefenelon

Yerrrs.

My thinking is it is either a GB from 86-7, or it's something that Cosworth would rather not admit to - ISTR reading in Robson that there was a 120deg 2l F2 V6 that never saw the light of day......;)

Think you are absolutely right Pete, somewhere in the back of my memory is a mid 70s Cosworth V6 that was never used for its intended task. Did some of them end up in hillclimb cars?

#221 jorism

jorism

• 179 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 11:17

She put this on eBay a month ago for a minium price of GBP600. I think the price she has now is still far too much for it.

#222 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 657 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 13:59

Pete, I'm with you on this as I have no idea what I would do with such an item either. But I would dearly love to buy it and make sure that it gets in a proper place like Donington.

#223 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 657 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 03:27

A Fish Called Wanda. But it was released in 1988.

#224 Duncan Fox

Duncan Fox

• 185 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 09:04

Nowhere was there mention of the "second" car built to preserve the original. I understand why it is done but cringe at the future repercussions when the pair are split this way. I have meanwhile asked the question , maybe you will get your his n hers matching set 2 for the price of 1 is always agood deal!!!

#225 GIGLEUX

GIGLEUX

• 1,519 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 23:35

I have 1947 Racing Car Review. Do we start the bids?

#226 wibblywobbly

wibblywobbly

• 287 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 22:02

Thanks for that link! Watching a few things.;) I ain't telling what! :evil:

#227 MCS

MCS

• 3,549 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 19:20

Originally posted by Gav Astill
How about a F5000 Lola? It's at least the second time that this one has been advertised on eBay, and it didnt get any bids then either!.

LOLA T142 FORMULA 5000 (EX-SID TAYLOR)

The ex Sid Taylor T142 no. SL20 Formula 5000 1969 driven to a lap record at Brans Hatch by Tony Lanfranchi also campaigned by Robin Widdows.

This is a project car minus engine & gearbox and completely dismantled.

A unique opportunity to inspect all the components almost all of which are new.

I would be more than happy to construct this vehicle for any prospective purchaser.

Call about this car: 015394 46348 and we will answer all your questions.

Alternatively you can email me directly: c_robey@hotmail.com or via ebay.

Reading this I have to wonder if the car exists!

"inspect all the components almost all of which are new" and "I would be more than happy to construct this vehicle for any prospective purchaser" seem a liitle strange from where I'm sitting.

Whatever, I've been castigated and ridiculed recently for my views on "rebuilt" historic cars, so I'll return to my kitchen!!!

MCS

#228 MCS

MCS

• 3,549 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 15:40

Originally posted by petefenelon

Entirely plausible, Colin Crabbe's Antique Automobiles business was in Baston, which is between Bourne and Market Deeping on the A15 - which would explain why an ex-BRM guy would have been working with him. Think you've got it in one.

Still can't link "Mr Vauxhallmotorsport" with Colin Crabbe somehow...

#229 MCS

MCS

• 3,549 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 15:52

Okay Ian.

Wonder how old CC is ?

Mark

#230 Henk

Henk

• 223 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 22:50

Nice little car -- hope that the buyer will follow your advise.

But why was Nardi’s ‘Boby Sport’ renamed Giaur when it came to the US??

Do you know if there still exist one or more of the later BMW-powered ND 750s ?
[The ‘cyclops’-model of Gino Valenzano’s 21 consecutive class wins (!?) in Italian hill-climbing]

#231 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,674 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 14:05

Its me who knows Tony Steele reasonably well, and could ask him if he recalls the tub no. I suspect though he may have forgotten, but will ask if anyone reallly wants to know.

#232 T54

T54

• 2,479 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 13:02

Stuart,
I tried to draw a car around it but it does not ring a bell... sure looks like a right-side panel stripped from a monocoque Indy or F1 car from 1965-66 with radius rods pick-up points...

I must say that E-Pay has been very good to me, both buying and selling. Since I collect antique toys of all kinds, it has been a paradise in which I no longer neede travelling to acquire rare pieces at still reasonable prices. Been only burned for a couple of hundreds by little crooks over litterally thousands of operations over the past 7 years, drive daily two full-size cars purchased on E-Pay for a fraction of their market value (OK , not at the same time... ;) ) and still find wonderful little treasures like this one only 3 weeks ago: MIRAGE...
Little race cars are like big race cars, there are "barn finds" there too... :)
Regards,

T54

#233 T54

T54

• 2,479 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 23:56

Really? How odd!

Could also be a piece from a Fairy Firefly biplane, what do I know?!... :lol:

#234 T54

T54

• 2,479 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 00:33

Not received yet but was able to get this 16" long tinplate Japanese made Watson with automatic jacks, that I had been hoping to find in decent condition for quite a while... just needs a driver and four new 3-prong knock offs, but the litho appears to be near mint. :)

Posted Image

When received, it will share shelf space with this 17" long Trevis-Watson 1961 Indy 500 winning replica (with sponsors names changed to avoid a lawsuit):

Posted Image

...and this rare Agajanian Special that won the '52 race with Troy Ruttman. Aggie DID sue the Yonezawa toy manufacturer, so they pulled the toy from the shelves and re-issued it under the "Champion Racer" name...

Posted Image

This one is a BIG sucker and does take space... but I think that period tinplate is SOOOO much prettier than Chinese die-cast... :smoking:

I LOVE E-Pay... :blush:

#235 hans stuck

hans stuck

• 91 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 14:41

I have no affiliation with this seller but I do own a copy of this album and its incredible...I know some forumites were asking about it too so I wanted to give a heads up. :up:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...7&category=2875

#236 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 869 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 07:57

I recently bought a slot car on ebay from a seller in Leeds - I live in Southend on Sea, settled by PayPal and waited for the post expecting the usual week or so for the delivery.

The following day the item was delivered to my door by a friend who lives one road from me!

He had used another sellers account so I hadn't recognised him during the auction.

David

#237 rl1856

rl1856

• 158 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 15:59

I am very active on Ebay ( I have been a member since 1997) and I always Snipe auctions I am interested in. Other than racing memorabilia, my main collecting passions are vintage tube equipment and classic Jazz albums. If you thing classic motoring items can be expensive.....

In order to snipe, one has to be present at the end of the auction. Since most auctions do not end at a time that is convenient to me, I have decided not to be a slave to Ebay. By this I mean that I really do not have the time to be present at the end of every auction that I have an interest in.

For this reason, I use a snipeing service. http://www.esnipe.com I enter the auction # and my max bid into my Esnipe account, and a few seconds before the end of the auction, my bid is placed, even if I am sound asleep, in the middle of the night. I have won quite a few items over the years, right at or nearly at the last second using this service. Since I bid for bargins as much as to win, I have not paid outlandish sums for the items that I won.

I have never received any complaining emails that I have "stolen" someones auction. On the other than, I have ended up as second bidder because the winner had entered a higher max bid than my snipe bid.

My perspective regarding snipeing is that in an open and free auction, one does not owe an opponent the opportunity to respond to a bid. It is the respocibility of each participant to determine how much they are willing to pay. If someone is willing to pay more than me, then I will not win. Conversely, if I win, it is because I am willing to pay more than someone else. If that "someone else" becomes angry because they did not have a chance to respond, then I would ask why they did not enter their true maximum bid at the start ? As adults, one must accept responcibility for one's actions and not blame the other person for their own failure to act.

Best,

Ross

#238 Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki

• 244 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 02:00

This showed up on FerrariChat:

http://cgi.ebay.com/....QQcmdZViewItem

#239 Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki

• 244 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:40

Now the debate, more heat than light, has migrated to an Alfa BB:

http://www.alfabb.co...ead.php?t=24283

Advertisement

#240 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 789 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 10:22

Looks like the Monaco nose for the front rad. / outboard brake conversion, following the problems with the front drive shafts , not the reverse curvature item refered to on ebay and illustarted in the Spanish GP shot there. There was a post on here a few months ago of the car at Monaco in that configuration. Always thought it looked pretty agressive in this form.

#241 swintex

swintex

• 366 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:01

Allen, would that damage have been sustained at Brands? I have a recollection of seeing Norinder's feet out the front of the tub as it came over the crest at Paddock. I don't remember whether he had gone off to the left or the right and preempted a Lafitte.

Richard

#242 mctshirt

mctshirt

• 183 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:22

It would probably fall off.

#243 mctshirt

mctshirt

• 183 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 06:55

Fundraiser with a difference:

Bob McMurray drawing of Graham Hill
http://www.trademe.c...on-81001664.htm

A drawing by John Surtees
http://www.trademe.c...on-81002315.htm

A drawing by Emerson Fittipaldi
http://www.trademe.c...on-80992584.htm

#244 vivafroilan!

vivafroilan!

• 311 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 22:11

Congratulations, Frank S., that's a nice story. My own best one so far was getting a 2nd edition (1912) of Jarrott's Ten Years of Motors and Motor Racing, in pretty good condition, for 6 U.S. dollars.

In the past few weeks one U.S. seller has offered some pretty nice bound years of Motor Sport and early Autocourse. As one example, the bound 1958 Motor Sport went (to me) for $32.00, while the bound 1958 Autocourse went for $1,825.00. I have one (1955) early Autocourse magazine, and as far as I can tell it's printed on paper, not gold... I guess Autocourse is seen as an investment these days, but does a price discrepancy that huge really make sense? (I'm having a great time reading through all Jenks' stuff in that year's Motor Sport!)

Thanks,
Russ Cole

#245 vivafroilan!

vivafroilan!

• 311 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 00:21

Or how about a whole track? (Just type "Sandia Motorsports Park" in eBay's homepage search box)...

#246 teegeefla

teegeefla

• 245 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 21:46

Everyone check out this posting of a photo on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

it obviously is not a Cobra and that is not Dan Gurney as described; my question is what car is it?

My first guess is a Scarab from 1959 Daytona as seen here

http://authorsandart...Warner/BW-8.htm

but i am just guessing. Anyone have a definite ID?

#247 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 22:11

I thought it was the 'Blue Nun' version that was banned. Or was that a film... ;)

TW

#248 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 23:42

Good to see that someone's delved straight into the archives!

In my experience over the last five or so years, 'eBaying' has developed evermore into an artform. However this doesn't mean it's rocket science, guys!

IMHO the rule of thumb is 'do your homework'. If you see something that takes your fancy, then add it to your 'watch list' and then google or whatever to seek out comparative prices/values.

Then, forearmed with that information, determine the value you place on that item.

For the next step you have three choices;

1) Place a bid immediately, or perhaps wait until the auction is almost over and whack a bid in.

2) Place a proxy bid (it's all explained on the site, so follow the user-friendly links) and keep your fingers crossed that your top ammount will be enough, or..

3) Use the 'snipe' approach whereby you utilise additionally downloaded software (and cheap to use) to bid for you remotely on your behalf at a pre-determined time; the default is normally 5 seconds before the auction ends.

It may sound complicated, but truly it isn't! And again, the motto is 'do your homework' - it's cheaper that way...!

#249 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 22:23

Another F5000 Lola T142 is on eBay at present; this time it's the ex-Ulf Norinder chassis #37 (or so it says...).

For considerably less money, there's a nice poster of Warwick Brown in the Pat Burke Lola T332 at Sandown Park.

#250 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 22:48

This looks rather like a useless piece of junk to me, but I've been proved wrong more than once...!

Any ideas from where it might have originally have emanated?