Photo

Lotus T40

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Canamkalle

Canamkalle

• 3 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 19:15

Can anybody help me please: for a model car project I'm on search for pictures of the A.J. Foyt Lotus 40.
Especially colour pictures I need urgently from the car, A.J. Foyt drove. It was the light blue Holman/Moody
car (#2) at Bahama Speed Week Nassau 1965. I like to know wich colour the race number 2 and the pin-striping was. If anybody have a information about this, or also from the white/darkblue car # 5, please post it here or e-mail me please.

I hope anbody can help. Thank you very very much in advance!!

Karl-Heinz

Advertisement

#2 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,679 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:19

Have searched for a Lotus 40 thread, but now this one has come up I thought it a reasonable excuse to post this advert from 1966 - sorry it doesn't help with your search, Karl-Heinz.
Posted Image

How often did Ginther drive a 40, or was Riverside the occasion when he came up with his famous description of it?

Edited by Alan Cox, 05 April 2010 - 16:14.

#3 Terry O'Neil

Terry O'Neil

• 81 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 15:06

Unfortunately I only have a black and white picture of the car at Nassau in 1965, therefore cannot tell you the colour of the number 2, although it did appear on a white circle. However I can tell you that the car did not have a stripe going down the middle of the car. A photo can be seen in my book, The Bahamas Speed Weeks, page 316.
What is the car #5 you are refering to? Nobody raced at Nassau in 1965 on #5.
Hope this is of some assistance to you.
Terry

#4 cstlhn

cstlhn

• 199 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 15:14

Karl-Heinz, I hope this is useful.

Posted Image

Best regards, David

#5 Canamkalle

Canamkalle

• 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 18:49

Many thanks to Alan Cox, Terry O'Neil and David!!!

If my information is correct, the white Lotus 40 drove with the number #5 1965 in Riverside. I get a black and white photo of this, but unfortunately without text. One can see it very short and unfortunately very blurredly be seen in the 1965 Riverside video, too.
I am looking for exact information and photos already very long to these two cars, but it is very difficult here in Germany to find something. Therefore I hope very much to come further by this forum.
When I heard of the book "Bahama Speed Week", I had a great hope to find photos into it. I like the book very much, (my great compliment for that super work Terry ...so many rare pictures I have never seen before!) but only a small black and white picture of the Lotus 40 is in it.
Sorry, Terry....
Your photo David I have never seen before. Fantastic! I think it probably shows the car shortly before the failure.

The number can actually have been only the color gold or silver. The light blue Holman/Moody Lola T70 of Foyt had silver numbers? The model of GMP shows these.

I hope so well to see more pictures here in the next days......

Please excuse my poor english!

Karl-Heinz

#6 cstlhn

cstlhn

• 199 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 21:30

Here is another and I may have one of #5, I will look.

Posted Image

Glad to be of some assistance, David

#7 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,814 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 22:27

Originally posted by cstlhn
Karl-Heinz, I hope this is useful.

Posted Image

Best regards, David

Great photos David! What a mixture of cars, looks like a Mini and works MGB there also, I used to read about Bahamas Speed Week, heady days! The only non green/yellow 30/40 that I saw was the all yellow JCB example. It's still a great looking car.

Sterling

#8 camerat

camerat

• 35 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 22:33

Bonjour,
I find this photo in the french newspaper L'Auto-Journal. It seem the number 2 is light blue with pin-striping dark blue.

Posted Image

#9 Terry O'Neil

Terry O'Neil

• 81 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:12

Ah ! Now I see what you mean by pin stripes. They were not visible on the photo that I have.
Described as being dark blue colour, they appear to be a dark red colour to me.
Terry

#10 camerat

camerat

• 35 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 22:11

There is another black and white picture of this Lotus in the french magazine L'Automobile january 1966 with the right flap off.

Posted Image

#11 Ol'_Motorhead

Ol'_Motorhead

• 53 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 21:38

Originally posted by camerat
Bonjour,
I find this photo in the french newspaper L'Auto-Journal. It seem the number 2 is light blue with pin-striping dark blue.

Posted Image

Well, this thread takes me back! I covered the '65 Speedweek (between all the Rum & Cokes! :D :D ). I have a colour slide of the#2 Lotus 40 somewhere but it's eluding me at the moment. :rolleyes: I'll try and find it around here.
FWIW, here's half a b&w frame of the car (I'll blame it on the R & C!!) sitting at the front of the grid. It's possible the Corvette Hardtop in the background by the Timing Tower (as such) was the course/pace car? This would not have been the feature race because it used a LeMans start.
Cheers.

Posted Image[/URL]

#12 Ol'_Motorhead

Ol'_Motorhead

• 53 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 23:42

Well, some of my NSW slides wanted to go oval racing - I found what I was looking for in the Daytona files! :rotfl:
Sadly, I don't have a slide scanner. :cry:
I'm told you can fudge it if you know what you're doing - I don't. Anybody got an idea?
Meanwhile, you'll have to use a lot of imagination and/or wait until I get to a photo shop. About the only thing discernable is the rollbar! :lol:

Cheers.

Posted Image[/URL]

#13 Ol'_Motorhead

Ol'_Motorhead

• 53 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:27

Well, I wasn't too pleased with the one hour photo print so I bought a photo scanner. :clap: Here's a cropped, but otherwise unaltered scan of the slide taken in 1965. No doubt some will note a few faces they recognize.
Cheers.

Posted Image[/URL]

#14 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,420 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 14:35

Originally posted by Ol'_Motorhead
Well, I wasn't too pleased with the one hour photo print so I bought a photo scanner. :clap:

Now that is the spirit!! :clap: