Which driver do you respect most?

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#1 redfred64

redfred64

• 31 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 18:46

Who do you respect most?

it doesn't have to be the best, or your favourate, but someone who maby always gave their all.

you could say ronnie peterson, jochen rindt or gilles villeneuve.

Advertisement

#2 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 18:51

Niki Lauda for his comeback after the Nurburgring accident.

#3 Bruno

Bruno

• 563 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 19:29

Originally posted by giacomo
Niki Lauda for his comeback after the Nurburgring accident.

Lauda yes. the great Niki lauda.
his comeback number one: after the Nurburgring 1976
and the second comeback after the saison 1979/81 and return 1982 and world championships 1984.
RESPECt

#4 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 19:32

Mario Andretti, Vic Elford, Brian Redman - sportsmen and superb drivers who were damn quick in everything and still maintain a love of the sport.

Gerry Marshall, for being Gerry Marshall.

#5 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 19:43

PATRICK DEPAILLER...a true enthusiast of the sport and always so modest!!

#6 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,947 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 20:26

Historically, "Williams", Benoist and Wimille. REAL heroes.

#7 canon1753

canon1753

• 619 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 20:31

Amen to that...

#8 SpitfireJEJ

SpitfireJEJ

• 42 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 20:42

Sir Jack Brabham for winning the World Championship three times including, uniquely, in a car of his own manufacture.

#9 Huw Jadvantich

Huw Jadvantich

• 602 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 21:37

Bruce McLaren, for being a top bloke in every respect you could think of.

#10 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 21:53

Jackie Stewart.

#11 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 22:48

Bruce Mclaren and Jack Brabham for showing me they were what I thought !Human!

#12 EcosseF1

EcosseF1

• 144 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 23:24

Jackie Stewart. For his guts and integrity.

#13 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 03:49

Leo Geoghegan, for being a Human being and a generally very nice person & of corse an AUSTRALIAN CHAMPION....... :up:

#14 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 07:20

Graham Hill. I always respected his grit and determination, his tenacity, his talent, and his sense of humour. I never met him, but I wish I had.

#15 WHITE

WHITE

• 1,498 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 07:50

Originally posted by Terry Walker
Graham Hill. I always respected his grit and determination, his tenacity, his talent, and his sense of humour. I never met him, but I wish I had.

:up:

Arturo Merzario

#16 Abel Karaj

Abel Karaj

• 25 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:26

Current : Romain Dumas and Alx Danielsson, for being true gentlemen as well as being really good drivers (especially Romain who is one of the very best of his generation).

Past : Vic Elford, for the same reasons.

And another driver I admire : John Paul Jr. For everything he's been through in his life and his career. This guy had so many downs and he was always able to come back. A great champion and a great man.

#17 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:48

Tony Brooks, for his values and integrity and in particular, his reason for making his precautionary pitstop during the 1959 US Grand Prix.

#18 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:55

I'm with you there, Vanwall.

#19 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 12:08

Denny, Sir Stirling and Jackie Stewart.

Advertisement

#20 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 15:00

Can't argue with any that have been mentioned. But overall, my most respected has to be Mario: not only a champion, but a gentleman, and just a very decent fellow.

#21 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 583 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 15:31

Jim Clark

Archie Scott Brown

Pedro Rodriguez

Jim Hall

Dan Gurney

Heroes all. :)

#22 Macca

Macca

• 3,726 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 15:41

Above all, for his dignity and sheer speed, Fangio...........never met him or even saw him race, unlike my boyhood heroes such as Graham Hill, Rindt, Peterson et al, but I wish I had.

Paul M

#23 Andrew Ford &F1

Andrew Ford &F1

• 246 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 16:27

Juan Manuel Fangio - for being both a great champion and a great person.
Jack Brabham - for being successful in everything he did.
The same goes for Bruce McLaren. Both he, Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart turned Ford into the most recognizable brand on racing circuits - I respect them all. As for Stewart, he did a lot to improve the safety turned racing into a lucrative business. But, to be honest, I believe that every racing driver deserves to be respected.

#24 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 16:35

Narrowing it down is not easy, but the one at the top is Alan Kulwicki.

Right behind him are folks such as Banjo Matthews, Bud Moore, Joe Weatherly, Alberto Ascari, Walt Hansgen, Tony Brooks, Kyle Petty, Stirling Moss, Dan Gurney, Juan Fangio, Tommy Hinnershitz, Bruce McLaren, Bill Vukovich, Bill Bryan, Fireball Roberts, and Mario Andretti -- some of the Usual Suspects and a few unfamiliar names to most here.

There are others I could name in addition to those above, but Kulwicki is easily the one at the top in my book.

#25 Fiorentina 1

Fiorentina 1

• 312 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 16:49

Originally posted by EcosseF1
Jackie Stewart. For his guts and integrity.

And, for doing so much for the sport (improving safety) and just being so good! Alex Zanardi for his determination and class. Senna for his speed and being able to bring 100% out of a car at all times. And, Emerson Fittipaldi for being so cool and proving that age is not an issue! :cool:

#26 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 17:35

Originally posted by HDonaldCapps
Narrowing it down is not easy, but the one at the top is Alan Kulwicki.

Right behind him are folks such as Banjo Matthews, Bud Moore, Joe Weatherly, Alberto Ascari, Walt Hansgen, Tony Brooks, Kyle Petty, Stirling Moss, Dan Gurney, Juan Fangio, Tommy Hinnershitz, Bruce McLaren, Bill Vukovich, Bill Bryan, Fireball Roberts, and Mario Andretti -- some of the Usual Suspects and a few unfamiliar names to most here.

There are others I could name in addition to those above, but Kulwicki is easily the one at the top in my book.

I'll take your word for all that Don, you'll understand that some of your choices aren't exactly well known on this side of the Atlantic, but one of your names puzzled me. No disrespect to Kyle Petty but why him rather than Richard or Lee?

#27 GVborsari

GVborsari

• 25 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 18:20

DAN GURNEY !!!

and Juan Manuel Fangio

#28 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,644 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 18:22

Mike Nazaruk
Jacky Ickx
Alex Zanardi
Jimmy Bryan
Norman Batten
Frank Lockhart

#29 john aston

john aston

• 2,695 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 18:47

Niki Lauda;tough as they come, hard as nails, his own man,very very quick ,smooth as silk, articulate by any standards (let alone for a racer ( I'm thinking Nigel,Kimi and the rest of the monosyllable muppets)) and very smart .

#30 Gerr

Gerr

• 696 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 19:41

From the present, Tony Stewart.....

http://www.speedtv.c...mmentary/34892/

From the past, it's hard not to respect a tough racer like Eddie Rickenbacker.

But then going on to become a flying ace, a circuit owner/operator, an airline builder, a Medal of Honor and Croix de Guerre winner, an automobile manufacturer, a diplomat, a castaway, etc. etc.........

#31 brooster51

brooster51

• 210 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 20:08

In no particular order: Mika Häkkinen, Jack Brabham, Niki Lauda, and Alain Prost. Häkkinen and Prost because they didn't resort to some of the negative tactics used by their compatriots to become champions. Not that they didn't take every advantage, they just didn't physically attack. Brabham and Lauda well they seemed just to be tough, no nonsense, smart racers who should never have been underestimated right up to the day they retired.

I also have to include my favorites: Dan Gurney, Jim Clark, Jochen Rindt, Jackie Ickx, and Jackie Stewart. Also Mr. Nice Guys: Denis Hulme, Bruce McLaren, Graham Hill, Piers Courage, and Mario Andretti.

#32 rdmotorsport

rdmotorsport

• 535 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 20:27

attention Abel,

John Paul Jnr. Mmmmm interesting, I take it you have not met the guy?

#33 Abel Karaj

Abel Karaj

• 25 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 20:38

Originally posted by rdmotorsport
attention Abel,

No. Have you ?

#34 rdmotorsport

rdmotorsport

• 535 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 20:43

Dear Abel,

As it happens yes, I worked for John Paul Racing along with 3 other Brits in thier IMSA championship winning year.

#35 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 20:48

.........and?

#36 rdmotorsport

rdmotorsport

• 535 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 21:34

Well nothing that as not been said or published before, IMSA at this time had many problems with some of the entries inasmuch we all walked around the paddock at Mid Ohio dressed in T shirts displaying the words "Do not shoot me I am not a Whittington" this was due to the fact a strong rumour was adrift that a "contract" was on the brothers head and we all know what happened to them,it was simular in the Pauls camp so best as we could we tried to avoid anything topical at the time and just set up and prepare thee car.
Regarding Jnr. he was obviously a talented driver how talented it would be hard to say,I think because at the time it was muted to try his hand at F2 in Europe personally I think he would have struggled but one never knows.I appreciate he went on to race "champ cars" with some success but not in comparison to people like Villeneuve,Andretti(all of them),Zanardi who also could come to the shores of Europe and be quick here as well.
My opinion for what it is worth and appreciate Jnr. as had big obstacles in his way but like us all how many were self inflicted?

#37 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 21:39

Originally posted by Gerr
From the present, Tony Stewart.....

http://www.speedtv.c...mmentary/34892/

Tony Stewart? : :confused:

#38 George Cunningham

George Cunningham

• 43 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 01:05

Lauda
Graham Hill
Senna
Merzario

#39 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,021 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 01:57

The late Carl Shafer: he took a ex-Chapparal Camaro that was a flop in the Trans-Am and turned it into a car that could run with, and sometimes beat the Porsche juggernaut, on a miniscule budget.

Bob

Advertisement

#40 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:20

I'll take your word for all that Don, you'll understand that some of your choices aren't exactly well known on this side of the Atlantic, but one of your names puzzled me. No disrespect to Kyle Petty but why him rather than Richard or Lee?

Why Kyle? Lots of reasons, most are very personal, but the Victory Junction Gang probably sums it up best.

#41 seldo

seldo

• 2,600 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:08

Now isn't this fascinating....With all these replies, not one vote for M Schumacher....
Not that it surprises me since the word respect was the crux of the subject...

#42 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,947 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:16

Originally posted by E.B.

Norman Batten

Good call.

#43 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:15

I respect 99.9% of all racing drivers. Whether you're talking about some guy in a Mini 7, or the latest F1 hotshot, they're all doing a far better job in their particular class of racing than I could even dream of doing. Even those who always seem destined to finish last - they are entitled to their fun, as long as they don't get in the way of the fast boys and girls.

The only ones about whom I have reservations are those with no track manners, and those who are clearly out of their depth and should never have made the step up into whatever formula they are proving to be a menace to other competitors.

#44 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,947 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:20

Originally posted by seldo
Now isn't this fascinating....With all these replies, not one vote for M Schumacher....
Not that it surprises me since the word respect was the crux of the subject...

Well, he's got a mention...

Originally posted by ian senior
The only ones about whom I have reservations are those with no track manners, and those who are clearly out of their depth and should never have made the step up into whatever formula they are proving to be a menace to other competitors.

#45 redfred64

redfred64

• 31 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 16:38

i am voting for peter collins, and ronnie peterson.

#46 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 16:42

Chris Amon, Peter Revson, Mike Hailwood ! All with different obstacles to overcome.

#47 daallo1

daallo1

• 59 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 17:50

Originally posted by WHITE

:up:

Arturo Merzario

Yes, Arturo Merzario, David Purley, the Rodríguez brothers, Solana, Rebaque and all guys wo have givenn their lives to the sport

#48 flat-16

flat-16

• 478 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 01:03

Not a vote for Tazio yet...

I vote Fangio and Nuvolari.

Edited to add Stewart. Whether you take the Jenks view or not, you have to admire the man :up:

Justin

#49 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 01:13

Originally posted by Bob Riebe
The late Carl Shafer: he took a ex-Chapparal Camaro that was a flop in the Trans-Am and turned it into a car that could run with, and sometimes beat the Porsche juggernaut, on a miniscule budget. Bob

You have to understand that the Chaparral (watch your spelling) Camaro that ran in the Trans Am in 1970 and was trounced by the Penske Javelins and the Bud Moore Mustangs had virtually nothing in common with the highly modified Camaro that Carl Shafer drove in the Trans Am in 1976. In '76 the rules were changed to permit the Category II cars, which included Porsche 934s, to be modified very much. The Shafer Camaro was modified to within an inch of its life and had very little resemblance other than a similarity in body styles and a Chevy V-8 block to the cars that Hall ran in 1970. I do recall that Shafer won Trans Ams at Road America and Brainerd that year, but George Follmer, in a Porsche 934, won the championship.

As an aside, I did not know that Carl had passed away. I am sorry to hear that.
Tom

#50 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 01:17

Originally posted by rdmotorsport

I have, and I took an immediate liking to the young man. This was back in the early 80s and he was a very polite fellow who took the time to talk to my young son and to pop him in the seat of his March 84G for photos. Years later, after Paul Jr returned to racing after his "vacation", I ran into him a few times and he was still as polite and soft spoken as before. Even remembered our conversation from several years previous and his interaction with my son.

Ah, the might have beens.....................JP Jr had the talent to be a great driver.