Photo

Searching for starting numbers - 1966 Porsche 906

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 René de Boer

René de Boer

• 400 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 13:53

For an upcoming book project, I am searching for the starting numbers of the first three classified drivers from the following events:

Preis von Tirol - Innsbruck/A - October 9, 1966:

1. Gerhard Mitter
2. Jochen Rindt
3. Ben Pon, all with Porsche 906

Donaupreis - Aspern/A - October 16, 1966:

1. Gijs van Lennep
2. Jochen Rindt
3. Gerhard Mitter, all with Porsche 906.

And also from the 3-hour race in Killarney/South Africa on November 11, 1966:

1. Piper-Attwood
2. Pierpoint-Serruier
3. Pon-Van Lennep

Could anyone be of help? Much appreciated!

Advertisement

#2 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 829 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 14:16

Originally posted by René de Boer
For an upcoming book project, I am searching for the starting numbers of the first three classified drivers from the following events:

Donaupreis - Aspern/A - October 16, 1966:

1. Gijs van Lennep
2. Jochen Rindt
3. Gerhard Mitter, all with Porsche 906.

Martin Krejci's website has Jochen Rindt as #70 for this race:

http://wsrp.ic.cz/nonchamp1966.html#77

I'm sure others will be able to give a more comprehensive answer.

#3 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 14:25

I unfortunately do not have a programme for the Cape 3 Hour race, but can help with a race report if you need it.

#4 Henk Vasmel

Henk Vasmel

• 160 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 00:17

Hallo René

No starting numbers in my database as well, except for the (70) that has already been mentioned. But there is much in parallel between my data and that of Martin.
However, are we sure about the date 11-11? It seems to have been a Friday which is not a usual day for a race, unless it happens to be armistice day there as well. Usually South African races are on Saturdays. In my database I have November 24, which is a Thursday, and therefore even more suspect.

Regards,

Henk Vasmel

#5 humphries

humphries

• 918 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 14:16

Rene

According to the race programme entry list for the Donaupreis, Aspern 16/10/66 the Porsches numbers were van Lennep #74, Mitter #75 and Rindt ( the second Salzburg car had no nominated driver but someone has scribbled in Rindt's name) #76.

As for Innsbruck I have no programme details but a photo in AMuS shows Mitter with the number 93. Cannot see Rindt's number as he is right behind Mitter in the photo.

From MN, Piper's Ferrari was #2 (photo) and the race was held on 26/11/66.

John

#6 René de Boer

René de Boer

• 400 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 14:33

Thanks to you all!

So now we have conflicting information concerning Rindt's starting number at Aspern: 70 according to Martin Krejci's site (whom I tend to believe) and 76 if the hand-scribbled entry into hunphries's race programme is true.

About the 3h race at Killarney: it was held on November 19 (and not on November 11, as I wrote by mistake). There was also a race on November 26.

#7 humphries

humphries

• 918 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 00:02

Rene

Are you sure about the Killarney date? Both Autosport (2/12/66) and MN (1/12/66) race reports indicate that the Cape 3 Hours was held on 26/11/66 as do Continental sources I have checked. Before I change the date in my records can any other NTFer confirm the correct date one way or the other. There was indeed another enduro race at Killarney but that was at the beginning of the year, I believe, and was just a local event.

John

#8 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 13:00

Originally posted by humphries

Are you sure about the Killarney date? Both Autosport (2/12/66) and MN (1/12/66) race reports indicate that the Cape 3 Hours was held on 26/11/66 as do Continental sources I have checked. Before I change the date in my records can any other NTFer confirm the correct date one way or the other. There was indeed another enduro race at Killarney but that was at the beginning of the year, I believe, and was just a local event.

CAR magazine (South Africa) mentions in their race report that the date was 19 NOVEMBER 1966.

#9 humphries

humphries

• 918 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:47

Thanks. Records duly corrected. In MN (1/12/66) it said "last Saturday" in its Cape 3 Hours report. Obviously the report missed its deadline! As Continental mags often "lifted" and abbreviated reports from the UK press, and the UK mags did likewise with the Continental reports, it is not surprising that misinformation spreads almost immediately.