Photo

Does anyone recognize this rebodied Cooper Monaco?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 chuckbrandt

chuckbrandt

• 424 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:26

I know these are really awful pictures but that is what I've got. I'm hoping someone will recognize the crazy swiss cheese spoiler. This is a Cooper Monaco T-61M that had a McLaren-like fiberglass body installed.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Chuck

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Cynic

Cynic

• 158 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 04:45

Chuck,

This car would seem to greatly resemble a car offered to me about 1980 in trade. I'll try to find the photos, which I may have somewhere. Do you have any idea where the car was from?

David

#3 chuckbrandt

chuckbrandt

• 424 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:46

Thanks David,
I think it was in california at the time the pictures were taken. But again the info is pretty sketchy.

Chuck

BTW: Although it's a different version of the car this _might_ be what the front end looked like then.

Posted Image

#4 chuckbrandt

chuckbrandt

• 424 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:33

Here is another picture of the car, supposedly a still from when it was used in the movie "Wheels".

I'm hoping to find a trail of ownership of this car.

Thanks, Chuck

Posted Image

#5 Cynic

Cynic

• 158 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 17:05

Chuck (and Bob),

I did find the old photo, and the car I was offered in 1980 or so is definitely not the rebodied Cooper Monaco in question.

My picture does raise another issue: What is this car? I don't have any correspondence any more, and don't remember anything about it. It might have had some reference to a McKee, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone recognize this car?

Posted Image

Thanks,

David

#6 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 17:37

I do have the history AND clear pictures of this Monaco with the McLaren-Elva body. It appears to be a 1964 car with the flat radiator, and could well be an ex-Shelby car. let me scan them and read the letter of the seller sent to me in the late 1980's, and I will report.
These pictures were used to restore the Lang-Cooper in our shops last year.
Regards,

T54

#7 chuckbrandt

chuckbrandt

• 424 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 17:44

Thank you sir! That will be most helpful.

CDB

#8 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,411 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 18:26

Originally posted by Cynic
Chuck (and Bob),

My picture does raise another issue: What is this car? I don't have any correspondence any more, and don't remember anything about it. It might have had some reference to a McKee, but I'm not sure.

Posted Image

Thanks,

David

Interesting observation ..I was about to comment on the fact that the rebodied Cooper looks more like a McKee Mk6B rather than a McLaren but I suspect T54 is about to solve the mystery...

#9 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 19:16

My picture does raise another issue: What is this car?

Definitely NOT anything to do with a Monaco. Maybe a Beach?

#10 Cynic

Cynic

• 158 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:26

No, I'm quite sure it's not a Cooper (or a Lotus or McLaren, for that matter) -- for one thing, it's LHD. As it had a Chevy V8 and was too big, I don't think it's a Beach or similar. It may have been in the Chicago area about 1980.

I just don't remember what it was. It was offered in trade to me for a restored Ferrari 212 cabriolet, so must have had some value.

#11 chuckbrandt

chuckbrandt

• 424 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:36

Although the McKees did use american racing mag wheels like these, I don't see this being any of them.

Chuck

#12 Cynic

Cynic

• 158 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 13:08

Chuck,

At this point I seem to know a lot of cars this isn't; digging out the photo has made me really curious as to what it is.

I'm hoping someone may recognize it.

David

#13 ggnagy

ggnagy

• 261 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 14:19

Originally posted by T54

Definitely NOT anything to do with a Monaco. Maybe a Beach?

If its a beach, then it is a totally rebodied one. The sidepods/doors are way too low compared to the front and rear fenders. The same goes for the nose. Interesting that there is no markings other than the number, and a very "street style" windshield (off of an MG perhaps) It also looks like the car has a license plate. Street/show car perhaps?

#14 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 16:55

The Cooper shown at the beginning of the thread is DEFINITELY a CM64. It is fitted with the right engine, what could be a Colotti box or a Kar Kraft unit (I have to check the pics) and the "right" exhaust system. It was offered to me for sale in February 1992, and the photographic evidence is hard to ignore. It appears that this car is one of the Shelby cars that participated in the 1964 LA Times GP at Riverside, one of these cars actually winning the race with Jones at the wheel. I have no evidence to show that this is the actual car until I inspect the documents and evidence in my possession, but I can tell without a single doubt that this is one of the cars. It is indeed fitted with a McLaren-Elva body purchased later as the car was used in SCCA events.
I have to leave today for a business trip and will only be back in a week, at which time I will scan and post the detailed pictures of the car. I do not know of its whereabouts at this time.
According to Dave Friedman who was asked then (1990), he believed that this car is the Bondurant car at Riverside and Laguna Seca.

T54

#15 chuckbrandt

chuckbrandt

• 424 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 13:03

Hi T54,
Thank you! I've seen a few frame pictures of this car and think it is a shelby car as well. The challenge being figuring out for sure which one. I'm certainly hoping it turns out to be a shelby car :)

Chuck