Photo

Help on Le Mans gas filler!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dbw

dbw

• 993 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:30

here's the problem..i recently got an old kougar jaguar and it came complete with a huge flip top filler cap mounted low and offset to the right on the tail section..as it screws on i'm wondering how to clock it...hinge forward makes most sense as it wouldn't open in the wind if it became unlatched,,however the slope on the tail doesn't allow it to stay open when filling...any ideas??

i've checked photos of old alfas and such but they seem to all have caps on the body centerline-hinge forward and many old ferraris had recessed caps..thus allowing no clocking variations.

like i've got nothing else to worry about... :rolleyes:

Advertisement

#2 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 05:29

Originally posted by dbw
like i've got nothing else to worry about... :rolleyes:

:eek:

#3 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 05:39

Sincere apologies, I really don't mean to add to the TNF pedantry pool. Heaven knows, it's full enough as it is but ... I've long wondered why so many, apparently, of our American friends have a penchant for turning 'Le Mans' in 'Lemans'. Sure they appear to have aspirations to join the Germans and the Welsh in the "Wordjoiningupclub" and that's fine - language evolves.

But the town south west of Paris is called Le Mans. Two words. Pas trop difficile. :| ;) :)

#4 dbw

dbw

• 993 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:06

cripes..i've already succumed to the ee cummins school of capitalization and fallen into the jamesjoycestreamofthoughtwriting so i get a lecture on geographic spelling and a bit of a nudge at the "colonials"...i'm wondering at the big eyes as well.. :eek: ..i was just wondering if anyone had perhaps a good photo of a giant filler cap on a rounded tail section that sits well offcenter at about 45 degrees to the ground...

my late father was born in sydney so i could suppose i'm twice colonial but his oldest aussie relative didn't actually migrate without a bit of push from the authorities.;)

#5 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:58

Oh gosh, I feel bad. : Should have made the comment more general and plonked it in the Paddock on reflection. And since you mention it... Aussies and spelling! :rolleyes:

There! Done it again!

#6 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:04

If the slope of the tail makes forward opening inconvenient - and since most fuelling is carried out side-on to the car, try hingeing the cap sideways, towards the centreline if the neck is already offset...? On my phake C-Type is hinges just fine, but I don't have the steeply sloping tail to obstruct matters.

Just a thought. Sorry - for our Orstrylian and Septic friends 'thort'.

DCN

#7 dbw

dbw

• 993 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:46

my wife has mentioned "spelchex" or somesuch but hasn't shown me how to use it...

doug; were the c type caps always offset or were they ever centered? [medial posterior aspect thankew]

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,065 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:16

Originally posted by dbw
.....centered?

Your Aussie father just rolled in his grave, didn't he?

#9 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:55

Originally posted by dbw
....centered?

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Your Aussie father just rolled in his grave, didn't he?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Vanwall
...that's fine - language evolves.

#10 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 13:15

Originally posted by Vanwall
...that's fine - language evolves.

...As did the Alsation breed to create generations prone to hip displacia, and the pug dog with its breathing and cardiac difficulties...

I can't think of a C with centreline filler neck, they were commonly offset to the right-side, just behind the driver's open collar!

DCN

#11 doc knutsen

doc knutsen

• 734 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 17:16

Originally posted by dbw
my wife has mentioned "spelchex" or somesuch but hasn't shown me how to use it...

doug; were the c type caps always offset or were they ever centered? [medial posterior aspect thankew]

No, they were always dextro-lateral proximal posterior....both those with alloy tanks, and the ones with
them newfangled rubber bladder thingies.

#12 diego

diego

• 390 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:41

How's the Kougar these days?

#13 dbw

dbw

• 993 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 05:40

so there i was ...sunny70 degrees f.... standing in the street with the kougar, a friend and his 308gt4 and a neighbor with his ducati diana and who should drive by but diego....gives the kid a bad image of us chronically underemployed californians. :wave:

#14 diego

diego

• 390 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 05:42

... and there I was in my beater Honda Accord!

Next you all have a block party, give me a holler!

oooo... Kougar Jaguar! :stoned: