Photo

Badge holders - W.A.T.N ?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 22:25

At a bit of a loose end for an hour or so, I decided to check through the 143 TNF badge holders (technically 141, because 2 people bought 2), to see how many were still regular posters.

I must confess that I got a bit of a surprise because I would have guessed that far more had fallen by the wayside than actually have.

Of the 143....

9 have disappeared without trace - no record in the member's list of their user names;

87 have posted within this month;

9 more have posted this year, making 96;

19 have posted in the last 6 months, making 115;

9 more have posted within the last 12 months - 124;

leaving just 10 that have not posted since the beginning of 2006. Sadly, these include Joe Fan, Mike Argetsinger and Dan Gurney.

Of course, there are those who have changed their user names, so may well be in there somewhere, but if I don't realise who they are, I cannot say whether they are posting or not.

Congratulations to my good friend in Sierra Madre who has 4 different user names all of which include the word BORSARI! :)

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 23:02

Originally posted by Barry Boor
.....Sadly, these include Joe Fan, Mike Argetsinger and Dan Gurney.....

Very sadly...

Where is Joe Fan, anyway? I don't know why he's not posting any more.

Mike, of course, is at least spending several hours each day on his Mark Donohue book. I spoke to him the other day and he's still as enthusiastic as ever, and he's getting together some very good material so that the book will be a good one. I don't think anyone he's approached has rejected him when he's asked for details or anecdotes.

I just hope that one day I'll open up the forum and look at some thread, probably a contentious issue, and see his name there... and I'll open the thread and find that he's set everybody straight on something, as he often did.

Joe, of course, might return if we have another argument about the genesis of Mustangs...

#3 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 15:46

For the Record: Badge 54 is now back in the USA after various adventures including being mortared, rocketed, and IED attacks. And, the greatest danger of all -- surviving Kuwaiti traffic while in the rear with the near beer....

#4 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 16:33

Welcome home! :clap: :up:

#5 dbltop

dbltop

• 1,664 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 18:13

Glad you made it home safe Don.

#6 AAA-Eagle

AAA-Eagle

• 1,044 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 18:42

Originally posted by HDonaldCapps
For the Record: Badge 54 is now back in the USA after various adventures including being mortared, rocketed, and IED attacks. And, the greatest danger of all -- surviving Kuwaiti traffic while in the rear with the near beer....

:up:

#7 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 20:00

Posted Image

(No54 - pleased to hear that you are home safe-and-sound Don; I can scarcely begin to imagine the things you have seen, experienced and endured. What particular horror does the acronym IED conceal?)

#8 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 20:21

Originally posted by 2F-001
What particular horror does the acronym IED conceal?

Improvised Explosive Device -- and it is very much a horror. I was fortunate to spared the direct results of an IED, but saw the results all too frequently.

#9 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 20:28

Ah - I didn't think hard enough. Truly ghastly.

#10 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 22:48

Welcome home and get that badge down here as we have discussed.

This thing is going through another expansion and let me know if you want to hang out here. The lot is being cleared as we speak and residence should be in place by July.

Henry

Posted Image

Thanks for the update Barry! :rotfl:

#11 Gokart Mozart

Gokart Mozart

• 223 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 00:33

Historic Mustang,

Is that THE Frank Warren? The #79 Native Tan man?

Just curious, I've been playing Nascar Legends quite a bit lately and seem to be collecting his draft at Atlanta on a daily basis...

Jacques N. Dresang

#12 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:24

Welcome back Don! Glad to see you've made it home safely.

Neil

#13 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 04:42

Badge Holder #120 here... :wave:

#14 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,774 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:53

I am almost certain that Badge 63 is the first one to travel under the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

(Welcome home Don. I am glad to see that Badge 54 has made it home OK.)

#15 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 669 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 15:37

Welcome home Don.

#16 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 16:17

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart
Historic Mustang,

Is that THE Frank Warren? The #79 Native Tan man?

Just curious, I've been playing Nascar Legends quite a bit lately and seem to be collecting his draft at Atlanta on a daily basis...

Jacques N. Dresang

Yes, that is the #79 Frank Warren who raced out of Augusta for so many years.

He has purchased the lot at corner of Frank Warren Drive and Dave MacDonald Drive on property of the former racing complex. Should have the move completed from Naples, Florida by mid summer.

After leaving the NASCAR scene Frank went to work for Walt Disney World and retired with benefits. He then worked security in Naples for a large hotel and actually plans to continue working upon his return to Augusta in July 2007.

Great stories beginning to surface from Frank and I especially want to hear about his involvement in the Mercury Comet 100,000 mile durability run (a separate thread here at TNF). He took part in the activities after the cars left Daytona and completed the trip from South America to Alaska.

He also has stories to tell concerning Native Tan and the NASCAR scene during the 60's, 70's and 80's. Trying to prod him into writing a book!

His name being added to the Augusta monument for a second time for is Grand National activities at the Augusta 1/2 mile oval.

Henry

#17 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 16:19

Twinny, if you happen to read this thread, can you possibly explain how it is that some Atlas member's user names have completely vanished from the Members List?

Here are the badge holders that seem to have vanished:

Pirate Boy; Jorge; Ian Dalziel; Marat; Tom Gee; Bertocchi; Simon Orton; John G. Shepherd and Chris Stoddard.

#18 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 16:26

John G Shepherd usually posts as 'oldtimer', I think. And Tom Gee is 'teegeefla'.

#19 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 17:51

Curiouser and curiouser. I've found user profiles for:

marat

bertocchi

IanDalziel

but neither marat nor bertocchi appear in the list of members, and if you click on bertocchi's profile you find:

Total posts - 0

Threads started - 22

:confused: :confused:

Advertisement

#20 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 17:58

Twinny, if you happen to read this thread, can you possibly explain how it is that some Atlas member's user names have completely vanished from the Members List?

As it's unlikely that they've been banned, I can only assume that they've cancelled their accounts Barry.

Originally posted by Tim Murray

Total posts - 0

Threads started - 22

Now that is odd!

#21 teegeefla

teegeefla

• 316 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 18:20

Been here all along...100+ posts to date. Also another welcome back to 54.

#22 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 18:27

Tim, thanks for that.

I put a space between Ian and Dalziel so I guess I missed that one. Can't explain how I missed the other two!

Strange that bertocchi joined, bought a badge, then never ever posted....

The two that did post are very much fallers by the wayside, I see.

Ah, Tom Gee = teegafleega? I should have known that, shouldn't I?

#23 cjpani

cjpani

• 2,456 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 18:43

badge 53 is glad that badge 54 is home and safe :wave:

cj

#24 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 19:15

Strange that bertocchi joined, bought a badge, then never ever posted....

I suspect he did post here. If you click on 'Threads started by bertocchi' (none of which were on TNF) and look at them you find he went to the trouble of editing all his first posts to show just a question mark. Of course you can't delete the first post in a thread, so this was presumably the best he could do to get rid of what he had said. I reckon he then went through and deleted all his other posts as well, including those on TNF.

Very strange, and totally irrelevant (sorry everyone) but it's aroused my curiosity somewhat.

#25 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 19:18

Mine too, Tim.

#26 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 19:27

Glad to hear you are home, Don

#27 Carlos Guerra

Carlos Guerra

• 90 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 20:46

Hi Barry,

# 136 is still around although spending more time in Africa these day than in Europe. :wave:

#28 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 23:32

...you find he went to the trouble of editing all his first posts to show just a question mark.

Now where have I come across that before...

#29 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 23:40

Carlos, I have been trying to get in touch with you for some time.

Please P.M. me a current e-mail address.

#30 Lotus23

Lotus23

• 1,006 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:25

Don, glad that you're back in CONUS once again. I would think you'd be getting your fill of all this High Adventure by now! Any comparisons on this current go-round and RVN? I imagine you'd be one of the few who could make that observation: sorta like the handful of Big War vets I knew in RVN.

A year or two back, I talked to my wife about volunteering to get back into uniform and see what the desert looked like -- Old Fire Horse Syndrome. She squelched the idea with the opinion that I'd most likely "just get in the way"! (It's not easy having a 22yo mind in a 68yo body!)

#31 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:25

Originally posted by Twin Window
Now where have I come across that before...

:rotfl: :lol: :cat: Still don't get it do you? :rolleyes:

#32 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,261 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 19:04

Welcome back Don! :up:

#33 SCO

SCO

• 36 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 13:09

Here are the badge holders that seem to have vanished:

Pirate Boy; Jorge; Ian Dalziel; Marat; Tom Gee; Bertocchi; Simon Orton; John G. Shepherd and Chris Stoddard.

Simon Orton hasn't vanished - I am a regular lurker and occasional poster with username SCO!

#34 DN5

DN5

• 464 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 22:12

Just a quick note to say you can nearly see my badge on the picture from the Baldock getogether.

Only one at all visible .......

Geoff

#35 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:38

I would have worn mine if I could find it :)
....but it's managed to lose itself in all my clutter.....it will eventually reappear :)

#36 TIPO61

TIPO61

• 598 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 23:02

I suspect he did post here. If you click on 'Threads started by bertocchi' (none of which were on TNF) and look at them you find he went to the trouble of editing all his first posts to show just a question mark. Of course you can't delete the first post in a thread, so this was presumably the best he could do to get rid of what he had said. I reckon he then went through and deleted all his other posts as well, including those on TNF.

Very strange, and totally irrelevant (sorry everyone) but it's aroused my curiosity somewhat.

My old/ole man (bertocchi) was BiraBANNED (and then some) long ago.

#37 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 00:31

Originally posted by Ray Bell

Very sadly...

Where is Joe Fan, anyway? I don't know why he's not posting any more.

:wave:

I have been wrapped up in other things. But some news to report, Masten Gregory was inducted last night into the C.A.R.B. (Central Auto Racing Boosters) Hall of Fame here locally. I attended the event with Masten's brother Riddelle, his two sons Riddelle III and Skip, Masten's boyhood friend Joe Egle. Also inducted was the late IndyCar driver Carl Williams, who grew up in the Kansas City area, and had two top 10 finishes in the Indy 500. I was able to talk to Carl Williams widow and found out that Masten Gregory really inspired his racing career.

#38 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 00:42

Great news, Michael. Those of us who've been around here for a while know how hard you worked for that.

Congratulations. :up:

#39 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 00:51

We hope you get back to posting now, Michael...

I don't think your job with Masten is over yet, though, is it?