HLWITTLS 2007

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 int2str

int2str

• 501 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:40

Ladies and Gentlemen,

We're starting a little late this year, since I've been absent from this forum for the winter. Also, there wasn't any driver discussion this year, but I've been wanting to do Speed for over a year now, so hopefully you guys will join in on the fun.

So, without further ado...

Welcome to the 2007 How long will it take to lap Speed competition!

The rules:
[list=1][*] Guess how many laps Scott Speed will complete (as in he has to pass the start/finish line) before he is overtaken for the first time by the leader of the race. If, for example, he doesn't qualify or he blows up on the grid, that counts as 0 laps. If he is passed during lap 15, that means he has completed 14 laps.

[*] The winner for a race will be the person who's score, or the difference between their guess and the actual number of laps, is closest to 0.

[*] The race scores will be compiled after every event towards the championship tally. The top finishers for a race will be posted along with the full championship standings following each race.

[*] If you miss a race (forget to add a guess), your total for that week will be the total number of laps in the race.

[*] If Speed misses a race due to injury or due to being fired, his replacement will be used in the competition.

[*] Your guess must be posted in the appropriate thread by 23:59:59 (Atlas time) friday night before the race. No exceptions here.

[*] Please state your guess as a decimal number (eg. "10"), don't write it out or be otherwise confusing.

[*] This is a competition for lazy bastards who don't want to think too much, so any complaints you have about any results, etc, will likely be completely ignored.

[*] New for 2007: Everybody is allowed one "scratch result". In other words, your worst guess or one missed race will not count towards your final score. So if you miss one race during the whole season, that race won't count. If you don't miss any races, your worst guess will not count towards your final score.
[/list=1]Please remember to get your guesses in on time. Nothing hurts you more than a missed guess in this game. If you're going on vacation, you can PM me up to one guess in advance. Please don't abuse this option though.

Also note that for this year I won't post the deadlines every time. It's going to be Friday night before the race.

Rule No. 7 is very important since I will once again have an automated script read in your guesses. Discussions should be limited to the results threads. There will be a website again, but it may not be ready until after the first race.

Check out the separate thread for the Australian guesses.

Cheers,
- Andre

Advertisement

#2 int2str

int2str

• 501 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:45

Please post your guesses for Australia here:
http://forums.autosp...&threadid=93146

#3 Apex

Apex

• 2,419 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 13:04

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I've always liked this competition. However I would like to propose a change to rule number 4. As it is now, missing even a single race means that your season is effectively over. I've come up with a number of possible alternative rules which would be less disastrous:

1. Missing a race counts as guessing the maximum number of laps. This rule would limit the damage done by missing a race somewhat, however it also has the undesirable potential to turn a missed race into a really good result, should we have one of those freaky races with many safety car periods, combined with Speed performing well.
2. Limit the number of points that can be scored in a single race (to, say, 20 or 25). This should also reduce the luck factor slightly by limiting the potential benefits of an unusual guess somewhat. Also, unlike the first suggestion, this rule would still ensure that missing a race would produce the worst possible result.
3. Drop the worst score of the season. This would allow every player to miss one race without too much damage, while still rewarding players who have participated in every round by allowing them one bad guess 'for free'.

This is your competition though, so, should you not like my suggestions, feel free to apply rule number 8 on this post. ;)

#4 int2str

int2str

• 501 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 17:53

I've thought about this a while now, but I'm not sure it's fair. Over half of last years participants did put a guess in for every race. Why should those be punished to help people who don't?

But I do like the addition of one scratch result. I do believe that would be the best option.
I think I'll add that to the rules.

#5 Apex

Apex

• 2,419 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 20:50

Well, that was precisely what I had in mind. I never intended for all three of my rules to be implemented at the same time.

#6 kNt

kNt

• 1,695 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 16:37

Thx for the rule change, I'll again at least try to enter the competition, but I will stop this time as soon as I miss two races - hopefully that doesn't happen.

#7 estoril85

estoril85

• 1,380 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 15:33

i accidently missed malaysia last year & it really stuffed my season so i would agree that everyone dropping their worst result is fairest