Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8965 replies to this topic

#4951 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,809 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:14

Why did (do) Ausralians always call that 4CM Maserati a 4C?

To save ink!

Advertisement

#4952 ed holly

ed holly

• 200 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:59

Brian Darby has really been busy this weekend - and has added a 3rd page to the John Partridge collection.

Thanks Brian, some great photos uploaded today.

Go to

http://aussieroadracing.homestead.com/

and this time check out the John Partridge collection x3 as well as the Jack Neal collection x3.

Ed

#4953 Cam Arnott

Cam Arnott

• 23 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:33

Hello Gents

I have another photo request !

If anyone has any photos of the engines of any of the Porsche 911's running in the ATCC in 1970 and 71 please, please post!! As always any other Porsche photos from this period would also be great.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanking you

Cam

#4954 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,178 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:58

Hello Gents

I have another photo request !

If anyone has any photos of the engines of any of the Porsche 911's running in the ATCC in 1970 and 71 please, please post!! As always any other Porsche photos from this period would also be great.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanking you

Cam

Cam think they ran webbers and a 6 plug head,Alan Hamilton would know and is easy to find.

#4955 ed holly

ed holly

• 200 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 00:52

Have been given some photos from John Arkright to share here with everyone. All up there are about 70 of them ...
:)
First of them attached - if I get the download correct - never done this before ...

Ed

Posted Image

#4956 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:11

Any idea where that is from, Ed?

Posted Image

It appears to be from the '68 Tasman series somewhere. Harvey's car in behind Greg Cusack in the SV car.

#4957 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,809 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:19

I'm wondering if this is the same John Arkwright from Cronulla, whose car I towed back from Oran Park [1962?] behind my race car? :rotfl:

#4958 ed holly

ed holly

• 200 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:03

Greg - reckon it would be the same John Arkright, I actually don't know him, the photos were passed via Mike Kent, a Shire boy from year dot, and John is a mate of his. Some great shots to come - but Mallala intervenes, so will be next week before I get too many more on, although Wirra has offered to help me load them properly.

Ray, they are mostly of the Farm, others might be Catalina or the odd Hillclimb.

Ed

#4959 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:56

Strange, Ed...

That doesn't look like the Farm at all.

Anyway, I've got my camera back and Clare's stuff is going to roll again:

This one will have some guessing, I'd say - Gnoo Blas January 1959, I think, as are most of this lot (apparently)...

Posted Image

Another for guessing:

Posted Image

Is the Fiat 1100 a racer too?

Posted Image

I reckon most of these will be familiar:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Jones Maserati:

Posted Image

Don James' Citroen:

Posted Image

From an earlier age... the white car:

Posted Image

Arnold Glass' Maserati... or is it the Ferrari?

Posted Image

I'll leave this one to experts:

Posted Image

A grid filling with sports cars:

Posted Image

A few racing cars on the grid (well, Doug reckoned his 300S was a racing car):

Posted Image

Ed Laker's TR with its unique headrest:

Posted Image

Advertisement

#4960 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:58

Strange, Ed...

That doesn't look like the Farm at all.

Anyway, I've got my camera back and Clare's stuff is going to roll again:

This one will have some guessing, I'd say - Gnoo Blas January 1959, I think, as are most of this lot (apparently)...

Posted Image

Another for guessing:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Jones Maserati:

Posted Image

Don James' Citroen:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4961 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 799 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:39

Love those Aussie specials and cars from that period.

#4962 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:58

Hmmm... new page, I'll bring them over here for the purpose:

Posted Image

Another for guessing:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Jones Maserati:

Posted Image

Don James' Citroen:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Ray Bell, 19 April 2011 - 05:06.

#4963 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:17

" Orange" Mk 4 Cooper with 4 pipes? Cooper Triumph twin twin of Jack Myers -- painted orange, at Orange?

Bathurst 47 Citroen Special
41 So Cal V8
27 Sheerline Special
28 DalRo Jaguar

Maserati 250F

9 Ferrari
12 Cooper MG

80 Ron Hodgson/John Martin Buchanan MGTC

Most pics are Bathurst Easter 1959

#4964 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:28

The grid shots, surely, are Gnoo Blas?

The word 'Orange' on the pic of the 4-exhaust car is from the page, not the photo. But we're confirming that there's a lot of mixing up in these albums.

#4965 Dutchy

Dutchy

• 648 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:45

Presumably the Ferrari no. 9 is the ex Whitehead 125 that was later to be Tom Wheatcroft's first purchase for his collection?

#4966 timbo

timbo

• 334 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 13:17

A few from Hume Weir many years ago.
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Posted Image

Posted Image

#4967 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 13:43

Originally posted by timbo
A few from Hume Weir many years ago.....

Posted Image

Looks like the Easter meeting in '72, when Doug Heasman (the red Rennmax with the gold stripes visible on the wing) jointly took the lap record with Peter Larner.

I don't know the other cars, Larner was the big winner that day with a Rennmax BN2 I know nothing about.

#4968 Team Result

Team Result

• 208 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 13:44

Any idea where that is from, Ed?

Posted Image

It appears to be from the '68 Tasman series somewhere. Harvey's car in behind Greg Cusack in the SV car.

I'd venture the Surfers Paradise dummy grid.
Supporting evidence includes the numerous bermuda shorts featured plus the style of chain fence!
By my first visit to the infield circa 1972 that area was asphalt, but it may have been grass in 1968.

#4969 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 14:14

Originally posted by Team Result
Supporting evidence includes the numerous bermuda shorts featured plus the style of chain fence!
By my first visit to the infield circa 1972 that area was asphalt, but it may have been grass in 1968.

Well... does anyone know if Harvey was at the '68 Tasman event at Surfers?

That Brabham only ran during the Tasman events IIRC, it being an interim car, while Cusack finished his racing career with a huge crash at Longford.

I am inclined to agree that it's Surfers, on reflection, but I'm concerned that the RCN report fails to mention Harvey at all.

#4970 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 14:19

Yes, I do
No, he wasn't

#4971 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 453 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 22:20

[quote name='Ray Bell' date='Apr 19 2011, 15:14' post='4981590']

That Brabham only ran during the Tasman events IIRC, it being an interim car, while Cusack finished his racing career with a huge crash at Longford.

Ray
I dont recall Cusack crashing the SV Brabham RepcoV8 at Longford in 68...where abouts did it happen on the circuit.
I think Cusack's car was the ex Brabham 67 Tasman car wasnt it.

#4972 Wirra

Wirra

• 916 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 23:17

...I dont recall Cusack crashing the SV Brabham RepcoV8 at Longford in 68...where abouts did it happen on the circuit....

"Greg Cusack, having the Scuderia Veloce Brabham Repco back in operation, was at Longford early on Monday for the untimed practice session. He did a few laps checking the car generally for the race, which he had announced would be his last. The car sounded right as he accelerated past the pits and disappeared towards the Viaduct, but became airborne as it went over the crest. When it came down it was out of line and Cusack lost control. The car stewed and then tipped end for end, crashing down upside down with Cusack underneath. The officials very quickly doused the car with foam, and then helped Cusack out. He was rushed to hospital, where it was found he had sustained only superficial injuries. Fortunately damage to the car was also localised, but it was definitely a non-starter."

http://www.tasman-se...und8/round8.asp

#4973 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 453 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 03:05

"Greg Cusack, having the Scuderia Veloce Brabham Repco back in operation, was at Longford early on Monday for the untimed practice session. He did a few laps checking the car generally for the race, which he had announced would be his last. The car sounded right as he accelerated past the pits and disappeared towards the Viaduct, but became airborne as it went over the crest. When it came down it was out of line and Cusack lost control. The car stewed and then tipped end for end, crashing down upside down with Cusack underneath. The officials very quickly doused the car with foam, and then helped Cusack out. He was rushed to hospital, where it was found he had sustained only superficial injuries. Fortunately damage to the car was also localised, but it was definitely a non-starter."

http://www.tasman-se...und8/round8.asp

Thanks Wirra

Just goes to show you cant rely on memory at times...make that most of the time.
Even reading that doesnt trigger any recollection and I was at the track.

Ellis

#4974 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 03:54

You might have been busy with something else...

Trying to put out fires under the Kings Bridge, perhaps?

#4975 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 453 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:37

You might have been busy with something else...

Trying to put out fires under the Kings Bridge, perhaps?

Lucky to get a fire lit later in the day.
The Humpy hit the viaduct in the wet but that was later in the day as well.

#4976 terryo

terryo

• 8 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 20:18

I'm trying to track some pics of Christine Cole (later to be Christine Gibson) racing her Corolla coupe, 1968-69. anyone here help with that one???. PM me please as I only look here occassionally

#4977 seldo

seldo

• 1,628 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 23:01

I'm trying to track some pics of Christine Cole (later to be Christine Gibson) racing her Corolla coupe, 1968-69. anyone here help with that one???. PM me please as I only look here occassionally

Are you sure you are not confusing her with Alexandra Surplice...? Chris ran a Nissan Pulsar Exa Turbo Coupe thingy at one stage, but I don't recall her ever being in a Corolla

Edited by seldo, 20 April 2011 - 23:02.

#4978 Team Result

Team Result

• 208 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 00:07

Are you sure you are not confusing her with Alexandra Surplice...? Chris ran a Nissan Pulsar Exa Turbo Coupe thingy at one stage, but I don't recall her ever being in a Corolla

68/69? That would have to be the first model Corolla Coupe and would have been before she drove John leffler's Mini.

#4979 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:29

Yeah, David's trying to take ten years off his age...

Christine was a Gibson before she stepped into the EXA Turbo (and rolled it...), and I figure she must have raced something before Leffo's Mini, but I was never aware of what it was. Might it have been ex-Bobby Morris?

Advertisement

#4980 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,066 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:43

I think she drove a MG Midget(or Sprite) before the Mini but may have a been a one off.

#4981 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:56

More from our 91-year old:

I believe they are all Bathurst Easter '59... the first one is a rare bird, apparently, with a Buchanan body raced as the Godfrey Special by J Edwards from Queensland. It soon afterwards migrated to England, I'm told.

Posted Image

I think they're discussing practice times there, aren't they?

Then we have, not looking its pristine best, the Dick Cobden MG raced at this time by Grace:

Posted Image

Barry Collerson's Tomlinson AGP-car based car being worked on frantically with the Wheeler Fortune alongside of it:

Posted Image

Surely one of the very first appearances of a Sprite racing in Australia:

Posted Image

J. O'Brien was the name, and we can see here he had his grille removed for some reason as it sits near the subject of this pic, Frank Matich's C-type:

Posted Image

I doubt it was so close on the circuit, but it should have been closer to John Schroder's Nota with enlarged Morris 8/40 engine:

Posted Image

Another Buchanan, this one the Gladiator:

Posted Image

Finally, some real class, the winner of the main race at that meeting... just for David McKinney... Ross Jensen's Maserati:

Posted Image

Unfortunately the 'shark nose' isn't showing in this one.

#4982 2Bob

2Bob

• 407 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:29

I doubt it was so close on the circuit, but it should have been closer to John Schroder's Nota with enlarged Morris 8/40 engine:

Posted Image

Surely that is a Berkeley - early model with around 320 cc of power!

#4983 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:46

Another case of the photos being mixed up in the albums, then...

There is no No 63 sports car in the Easter entries, but Schroder's car is entered as 163, I thought the pic might have been taken before the extra digit was applied.

However, you are undoubtedly correct. The Paul Samuels 692cc Berkeley was entered as No 63 in October '59 and for each subsequent meeting for a couple of years.

#4984 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:01

Ray,

Peak Hill refers to Peak Hill Station.
Travelling south from Silverton (see map) you don't actually go into Peak Hill.
I'm told the actual Hill Climb is on the right hand side of the road a little way after the Mundi Mundi Plains lookout.
If you get to Rathole creek then you've gone too far!

Posted Image

The following is a map of the actual Hill Climb

Posted Image

Hope this helps.......

Kevin

Just to drag up something from the very old files.

Having a family holiday in Mildura ATM, and the other day my wife suggested we do a day trip to Broken Hill. So we left this morning, giving us 3 hours there to ensure we returned in daylight. (Not keen on encountering roos in the Commodore wagon with no bullbar)

Anyway, we get to the information centre there, and I have a look at a pamphlet on Silverton (obviously with the hillclimb in mind) and point out to the boys that there is a Mad Max museum there (Mad Max 2 was shot around Silverton). Much excitement so we head there. Of course I have no idea where to start looking for the hillclimb, but after the museum and a feed, wife suggests we go to Mundi Mundi where a lot of the shooting takes place. Head off there (which is to the NW) and have a look from the lookout. I suggest we drive on a little bit more (starting to get a gut feeling) but we get over the range onto the flat and there is nothing happening, so she says lets go back. I go to pull a U-turn at the next driveway (entry to Mundi Mundi station)and turn around, and there is another road opposite, that meanders up the hill.

Now this doesn't tally with Kevin's map of Peak Hill Station, which is SW of Silverton, and the Mundi Mundi lookout is NW but Kevin mentions in his post that the hillclimb is just past this lookout. On the pink trackmap of the hillclimb, the name of the road on the left could be Umberumberka Road. A bit further on from Mundi Mundi lookout is Umberumberka Reservoir. Is it possible that Peak Hill Station was once a lot bigger and encompassed this area? The views as seen in the photos from the hillclimb look like the flat terrain in the background that I saw today from the lookout, stretching out towards the nearby dog fence.

I'm using my wife's laptop to send this, so I'm not in a position to do image insertion, but here is what I believe could be the location of the hillclimb from the Google map co-ordinates -31.839139,141.201353 It certainly looks an interesting squiggle. The Mundi Mundi lookout is on the north side of the east-west section of road, then around the right angle corner and the possible site is on the right.

PS. The trackmap seems to fit the satellite image as well

Edited by David Shaw, 21 April 2011 - 12:07.

#4985 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 641 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 21:51

Posted Image

Surely that is a Berkeley - early model with around 320 cc of power!

This is the first of 2 Berkeleys that Paul Samuals raced, the second car a B90 or a B105 had a square nose & also ran a headrest, they were also different enging sizes, I believe it was in the second Berkeley that Paul had his rollover at Warrick Farm ending his stint in Berkeley cars.

#4986 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 22:09

Here's a few more from Clare Russell...

This time I'm not identifying them as it seems that takes all the fun out of it!

Clearly a wet day at Bathurst... the first several are still Easter '59...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

In this one there's a Jaguar jacked up in the background... and I wonder what those blokes are looking for under that tarp?

Posted Image

You can almost see Bob Winley in this:

Posted Image

And doesn't the bloke with his foot up on the Grace MG look so fifties?

Posted Image

And then at Lowood, there's another MG Special. See what I mean?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finally... a neat row of TFs:

Posted Image

Okay, gents, let's see what you can come up with now...

#4987 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 497 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 22:13

I'm using my wife's laptop to send this, so I'm not in a position to do image insertion, but here is what I believe could be the location of the hillclimb from the Google map co-ordinates -31.839139,141.201353 It certainly looks an interesting squiggle. The Mundi Mundi lookout is on the north side of the east-west section of road, then around the right angle corner and the possible site is on the right.

PS. The trackmap seems to fit the satellite image as well

Is this it??
Posted Image

#4988 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 22:24

Thanks Geoff, that's it. It's still very well defined.

#4989 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 22:31

Good work, gentlemen...

When I went there I was sure that the hillclimb was to the north of the town but I didn't really know where to look.

#4990 terryo

terryo

• 8 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 00:18

thanks for the replies re Corolla coupe...........
Yes, i'm referring to the original sprinter coupe (KE17)
no, there is no confusion with people. Autopics have a pic of her in it at Oran park, 1969 (unless they got it wrong)
I own the AE86 Coupe that Alexandra Surplice raced. that was 1985

#4991 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 497 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 00:21

Thanks Geoff, that's it. It's still very well defined.

Glad I could assist David. How's the weather up there in my old home town? Hopefully better than it is in Hobart today!

#4992 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:51

Very light sprinkle this morning, light wind now and alternating between clouds and overcast. Around 22ish.
Still signs of the flooding from the start of the year.

#4993 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:28

Great maps/pics of Silverton/ Peak Hill... thanks. Anyone looked at Neville Webb's book on those hillcimbs back then?

Clare Russell's pics continue to intrigue and inform( thanks Clare, thanks Ray). Most are cars we have seen before -- though Glyn Scott's (second) Holden Special copy of a Cooper Bristol is incorrectly labelled as an MG, and we see again the very impressive Wal Anderson pale blue Buchanan bodied Lotus 6 replica-chassised Repco Holden that Greg Smith ( Vic) may restore one day.

The shot of the white? Cooper MK V particularly interests me not just because this became one of Bowin's John Joyce's first racing cars but because of the car behind it. If it is the car I think it is I am surprised because I was not aware this car at that time raced in Queensland. Ray, is there anything about the photo or its captioning that might help us? Can anyone else offer an observation?

#4994 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:53

John, there is zero labelling on the photos...

If there's an error, I have made it.

#4995 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 799 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:58

Is it the Crowfoot Holden, partly obscured, behind the white Cooper ?

Incidentally, I recently asked Barrie Garner what he thought of the Nota Consul ( pictured with reference to Bob Winley ) during his brief ownership, a sprint, a hillclimb and a Bathurst in Oct 1960, suffice to say it most definitely wasn't his favourite car which is why he quickly progressed to the Nota Major.

I thought you were going to Mallala John.

#4996 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:14

John has, I believe it is termed, A-seriesitis...

It's a condition caused by lousy workmanship when you give your engine parts to someone you should be able to trust.

Which reminds me of the story my nephew told me today. He's got an engine from a leading light in Queensland HQ racing to rebuild, with strict instructions to get rid of any cheating bits in it. There's been a number of questionable parts turn up in these things over the past year or so, many of them from the bloke who's been doing the engine.

Needless to say, Ben is preparing an all-new head for it, with new valves a tad smaller than those in the other head, with valve springs somewhat different to the other head and so on.

Ben's engines were first and second in the series last year, while third and fourth placegetters lost their placings as they didn't submit their engines for final end-of-series scrutineering.

And there, I guess, is the reason the Dodge isn't going yet.

Back to Clare's pics... have we had a pic of the Crowfoot yet? If not, I'm sure it will show up.

#4997 launchpad

launchpad

• 95 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:03

I think it was at Warwick Farm which had "a little" grass cover in the dummy grid.
The attached pic looks like it was at the same time - but does not show John Harvey's car.

Posted Image

#4998 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:43

Dick and all
It could be the Crowfoot ex Dynon Holden: the windsreen and its apparent location do suggest that
My problem is that depending how I look at it I think I am seeing Nota Formula Junior chassis #22 ie my car, in the Nota factory dark blue colours before the Howard brothers put the white paint on. The wheels appear to be silver centres/ blue rims -- not wire wheels as on the Crowfoot.
( and no I sadly didnt get to Mallala. That Motor Racing Rule Book rule " Replaceable Parts Wont" comes to mind. Published results show the Schapel brothers flogged the rest.)

#4999 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 799 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:22

John, does your Nota have a pair of parallel exhaust pipes on the lh side ? I have seen pics of the Crowfoot in Kelly's hands at Lowood which shows the number 17 in a white circle on the nose which the car in the pic faintly appears to have. The wire wheels and large brake drums in the pics I have also appear to be of a light colour which may lead you to think they are disc wheels and they do look bigger than 13"

Also, will you have your Nota going by September ?

Advertisement

#5000 Wirra

Wirra

• 916 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:00

I think it was at Warwick Farm which had "a little" grass cover in the dummy grid.
The attached pic looks like it was at the same time - but does not show John Harvey's car.

launchpad - Please don't wait 2 1/2 years to post again... any more?