Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8909 replies to this topic

#5001 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,720 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 14:15

So Silverton hill was north of the town, not south. Amazing how well it shows up still.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisement

#5002 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,122 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 16:02

I was almost within sight of it without knowing...

What a shame. Who knows when I'll ever go that way again!

#5003 cooper997

cooper997

• 889 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:28

It seems something was in the air last week. David Shaw's been playing in Broken Hill finding Silverton Hillclimb and I've been to Leyburn and Lowood.

It was Easter 1993, the last time I set foot in Queensland (going to the ATCC at Lakeside while there). So it had been a while. The excuse for going this time was because I was given the gig of driving a family member's motorhome to Hervey Bay. So with all the recent activity with Lowood photos appearing on this thread I thought I'd try and find my way there during the drive. So I left my outskirts of Melbourne abode armed with a printed scan of the circuit and the basic vicinity from a 1963 Lowood entry list/ supp regs and an Australian Touring Atlas (as you can see I'm not into technology). That was early Sunday morning, April 17th.

By 7.30pm on the Monday I was sitting in the Warwick RSL in Qld (approx. some 1800km from home) having a feed when the penny dropped that Leyburn mustn't be far away. Leyburn (pronounced Leeburn) being the scene of the September 18th, 1949 Australian GP at the even then, former RAAF Airfield. So after a brief chat to the chap behind the front counter at the RSL, Leyburn was the destination. Driving cautiously, because A/ I wasn't familiar with the territory & B/ I didn't want an encounter with a kangaroo or the like, a council 'tourist' type sign was eventually spotted indicating the scene of the 1949 AGP site. So along that road one travelled for about 3km or so until another sign of the same ilk appeared at a crossroad to the right. Following that for a couple of km, then a minor crossroad. Hard right was bitumen, marked as 'Wirraway Ave', left was dirt and so it was if one continued straight ahead. And no further AGP tourist signage. So armed with this predicament and the fact that it was too dark, too late and too many hours driving, one turned around and drove the 4 or so km into Leyburn township.

The dawning of daylight on Tuesday morning and a bit of a drive around Leyburn quickly showed where the annual Leyburn Sprints, runs around the houses. Then a stop at the pub in an attempt to get some information so early in the day, resulted in a young women speaking with her mother. This basically meant all I left with was that the area was overgrown and they didn't know who the current owners are. So back out to the basic vicinity to see where Wirraway Avenue led. Well, Liberator Place of course, showing the wartime flying heritage of the area. It is the first block on Liberator Pl where there's a galvanised shed that evidence still suggests one of the airstrips. But only because the grass was under some form of control. Because in the next block the grass was higher than the fence and you struggle to see anything. There were 3 owners of the venue in 1949, the programme states, Backhouse, Porter and Hamblyn to whom the organising Queensland Motor Sporting Club named the corners/bend in acknowledgement. I dare say a lot more than 3 now. So not wanting to make a nuisance of myself and not having come armed with a map, I decided it was time to move on.

So just over 61 1/2 years since the likes of Kleinig, Bland, Rizzo, Whatmore, Cobden, Tubman, Crouch and many others had taken the start of the 1949 Australian Grand Prix, in what is still essentially an out of the way part of Qld, very little evidence survives that John Crouch and his #4 Delahaye won the premier Australian race of the day.

I guess now all you Google experts will find something.

Next destination Lowood - but I'll waffle about this a bit later.

Stephen

#5004 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 798 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:53

Stephen, I've been wondering where you've been ! At Leeburn, were you able to find the monument about a metre high at the site of the 1949 AGP ?

We are off to Warwick this coming weekend for a "low key" historic meeting.

#5005 Wirra

Wirra

• 911 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:09

...marked as 'Wirraway Ave', ...

:clap:

#5006 cooper997

cooper997

• 889 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:26

Stephen, I've been wondering where you've been ! At Leeburn, were you able to find the monument about a metre high at the site of the 1949 AGP ?

We are off to Warwick this coming weekend for a "low key" historic meeting.

Dick,

Because the Leyburn side of things was so impromptu I hadn't done any homework (not that I was ever any good at homework). If I'd known about the monument I'd have looked that bit harder. But alas I obviously missed that one. I did find the monument at Lowood though. I'll share that tale later.

I assumed through the privacy structures of today's society that there was only the 2 'tourist' type signs, then nothing else closer to the venue because the council didn't want the property owners being pestered by mug enthusiasts like me.

I did see mention of the race meeting this weekend in the Warwick tourist guide. Have fun. The Pontiac lads were having their Nationals there over the weekend. In fact there were cars going all over the place last week as I drove up to Qld. Got a surprise at Coonabarabran when several GT Falcons were backed into the kerb. A couple being of the over-priced Phase 3 variety (they were driving to Brisbane for their Nationals). Then there was various big Healey's and Riley's heading the opposite direction to me. The Citroens were having their Nationals at Stanthorpe too.

Stephen

#5007 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,731 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:26

Here is a link to Leyburn...

http://maps.google.c...i...mp;t=h&z=15

#5008 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,122 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:26

Why didn't you give me a call, Stephen? I would have shown you the whole thing...

It's not hard to find, nor is it hard to get around most of the circuit.

#5009 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 497 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 13:01

Some pics from Leyburn from a couple of years ago:

Back straight, looking east
Posted Image

Main straight, looking SE from Hamblin Cnr
Posted Image

Plaque on old Main Straight
Posted Image

Stone memorial in Leyburn
Posted Image

#5010 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,122 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 21:43

What a shame that has a Bell Star...

Especially one of the later ones with a narrow slit!

#5011 DJH

DJH

• 186 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 22:20

The driver looks like Gort.
Klaatu barada nikto.

Edited by DJH, 26 April 2011 - 22:22.

#5012 cooper997

cooper997

• 889 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 22:27

Ray,

I did briefly think of sending you an email saying I was heading your direction, before I left home. But in the end didn't. Clearly I should have. Like I mentioned, Leyburn was an impromptu visit.

Thanks to Michael & Geoff for the Google link & Leyburn photos, respectively. Good to see the Leyburn AGP venue can still be found with a bit more effort/knowledge.

I did see the sculpted stone racing car memorial just over the road from the Leyburn General Store, as shown in one of Geoff's photos.

Stephen

#5013 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,684 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 23:15

What a shame that has a Bell Star...

Especially one of the later ones with a narrow slit!

The Gordon Johncock look!

#5014 cooper997

cooper997

• 889 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:22

Posted Image
One of the heat's for the 1960 Australian GP meeting at Lowood

Continuing the trip from Leyburn of April 19th, with the Qld Racing Drivers' Club Lowood circuit being the next destination...

Having left Leyburn it didn't take long to find the road that headed towards Toowoomba damaged from the devastating & tragic floods throughout the area in January. But it wasn't until heading down the twisting (and very steep) road out of Toowoomba, battling other traffic, Police and the huge number of trucks that it was made poignant with a huge piece of one the lanes completely missing from the huge volume of flood water having gouged at it. Engineers in the process of doing a major repair. And no wonder those in Withcott, Grantham & surrounds didn't have a chance to do anything. Grantham, was still in clean up mode (and will be for some time), with some homes being worked on, others still resting where the water had left them and the ability for the farmers to scrape the mud of them, climb aboard their tractors and other farm machinery and get their paddocks growing again. You wouldn't wish this upon anyone, but Australia has extremes of mother nature's powers.

As I previously mentioned in what is essentially my Leyburn post back up the page, I was armed with a couple of Lowood maps scanned from a 1963 entry list/ supp regs and an Australian Toruing Atlas. They gave me the general area I needed to find, but hardly an exacting science. So there was a bit of backtracking before finding this, also former RAAF airfield, turned motor racing circuit. But not before I got out to speak to a chap who had previously gone past and then stopped at a property. I was hoping he was a local. As soon as I got out, he said, "You're lost aren't you?" I said, "Only sort of." Telling him I was looking for the old Lowood circuit. Then it became a moment in fate, I guess. Turns out he used to go to Lowood and raced at Lakeside in his cousin's MG's, but his cousin had died 3 years ago. So while this conversation was going on, I asked who his cousin was. "Brian Teeble, former BMC sales manager" was the response. You could have blown me away, it was only a couple of weeks ago that I brought up how a Lowood photo of Clare Russell's with an MG TD was either Brian Teeble or L Golder. John Medley then mentioned how Bill Hemming (of former Elfin ownership fame) drove one of Brian's MG's. Peter Boyd (who I was talking with) also revealing that Brian was a silent partner in Brisbane BMC dealer, 'Peter Uscinki Pty Ltd'. I then left Peter to get on with his purpose for being there, as a soil tester for a new house to be built at the property we met at. But he was unable (due to too many years having gone by) to help pinpoint the old circuit for me. So a bit more looking...

This led me along Mt Tarampa Rd, looking for any evidence. Before turning right into Irwin Rd. I should have taken more notice just along Irwin Rd, but ended up on another road that as it turned out was taking me around the back section of the circuit. Then after some 3 or 4 km... hey presto... an approximate 2m high RAAF Memorial. Finally, I had found Lowood and was standing at the final turn, MG Corner, before the long run down the main straight. With the above photo showing the start/finish line approx. 1/3rd of the way along, the photo also showing how wide the old runway was. The memorial immediately shows its RAAF heritage with the 'roundel' at the very top, a couple of brass plaques - one for RAAF information and the other giving details about the June 12th, 1960 Lowood Australian GP meeting. Won by Alec Mildren in his #2 T51 Cooper-Maserati. Then at the base of the Memorial details of a servicemen. This can be found at the intersection of Forest Hill-Fernvale Rd & Daisy Rd.

You only need walk a short distance along Daisy Rd (the main straight/runway) and you can still see evidence of MG Corner, in what is now someone's private property (on the inside of the circuit). I'm no surveyor, with sub-division years ago, the narrow strip of bitumen laid over the top of the original runway, to become Daisy Rd appears to me, to not run parallel with the original runway. In fact, from what I noticed over it's near 2km length, it probably runs diagonally. With more bitumen on the outside of the circuit when you get to the Mobilgas Corner (Irwin Rd) end. All of course appears as private property, with more houses on the inside of the circuit, than the outside along Daisy Rd. The first couple of houses nearest the RAAF Memorial, along Daisy Rd actually have original runway bitumen still evident almost at their from door. I also have to admit that most of the houses look older than having been built since 1966. Maybe that's just Qld house design. Trees of varying sizes also align both sides of Daisy Rd.

Houses are also built right on top of what was the straight from Bosch Corner, down to MG. And as with Leyburn, I didn't want to make a nuisance of myself, so I never went looking for the section involving KLG Corner, Dunlop Straight, Castrol Corner & BP Bend.

In the space of less than 24 hours I'd attempted to pay homage to those who raced at Leyburn & Lowood. It was now time to continue the journey, but not before seeking out Lowood township briefly, some 10 km from the circuit...

Stephen

#5015 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,731 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:59

Google Maps link to Lowood.

#5016 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,720 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:05

The layout - just visible still.

But - Daisy Rd for the main straight? What were they thinking of? A cow?

Posted Image

#5017 cooper997

cooper997

• 889 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:48

Terry,

From the intersection (out of this screen) but just 300m or so, up from the bend in the road from the what you have marked up as the 'top' Forest Hill-Fernvale Rd at the LH top section of screen, I noted as Mt Tarampa Rd - the local state school was along there in the section mid-way along the top of screen. This road leads back to the main road into Lowood - some 10km right of screen.

The 'bottom' Forest Hill-Fernvale Rd where it intersects with Daisy Rd is where the RAAF Memorial is. Hardly an inspiring name for the main straight. Clearly no avaition or motor racing enthusiast got the gig to name the roads.

Looking at the venue in overhead mode, I obviously drove along Dunlop Straight without realising it.

I did come across another 'Wirraway' lane or rd (similar to Leyburn) while looking, but failed to scribble it on my map.

Stephen

#5018 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,122 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:52

Any time you're by, Stephen, just let me know...

But you'll still have to start spelling Brian Tebble's name correctly!

#5019 cooper997

cooper997

• 889 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:48

Another for guessing:

Posted Image

Is the Fiat 1100 a racer too?

Posted Image

I reckon most of these will be familiar:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Jones Maserati:

Posted Image

Don James' Citroen:

Posted Image

From an earlier age... the white car:

Posted Image

Arnold Glass' Maserati... or is it the Ferrari?

Posted Image

Well while I was away, Ray got his camera back, so of course now there's lots more of Clare Russell's photos added. I see there's been various identifications already, so I'll give these a crack and hopefully not stand on anyone's toes. In the process hopefully trying to add a little more detail. I also see that JM has mentioned there's more Easter (March 30th) 1959 Bathurst photos, than January 1959 Gnoo Blas. That's good because I have the Bathurst programme, but not Gnoo Blas'. Although I suspect if entered at both meetings they probably wore the same numbers.

photo 1 - If this 356 Porsche was raced, then the only one mentioned in the programme is #30 Norm Bolton in event #4, Sports Car Scratch Race, 6 laps. Then the event #7, 10 lapper.

photo 2 - Ray asked whether the Fiat 1100 is a likely entrant. Possibly not, as the only Fiat entry for this meeting appears to be Ted Ansell's 479cc of #40 Fiat-Abarth. The main subject being #82 John Hextall's MG A that ran in events #4 & #7 again.

photo 3 - #41 Frank Walters So-Cal V8; #27 Roy Williams Sheerline special (ex Ken Wylie?) & #28 Alwyn Rose Dal-ro Jaguar. All were down as entrants for event #1 Qualifying Heat 1, 3 laps for the '100' then main event #6, Bathurst '100' 26 lapper. #27 has been crossed out from the heat.

photo 4 - Am I right to think this is Bathurst along Mountain Straight. If so then I can see #7 Arnold Glass 250F; #19 Ray Walmsley's Alfa-Romeo (Chev V8) P3; #9 'Curly' Brydon Ferrari-Chev V8 & #12 Lionel Ayers Cooper-MG. With all but #12 being in event #3, qualifying heat #2 for their '100' 3 laps, Ayers in the first group. The Ferrari as 'Dutchy' has mentioned becoming Tom Wheatcroft's instigation of the Donington Collection. The Alfa also finding its way to the UK with Patrick Lindsay if I'm on the right tangent.

photo 5 - #9 Brydon Ferrari-Chev.

photo 6 - #9 Brydon Ferrari-Chev yet again.

photo 7 - #1 Stan Jones 250F, another member of qualifying heat #2 for the '100'.

photo 8 - #47 by the programme it is down as Geoff Thorne's Citroen special in heat #1. Altough Ray has it mentioned as Don James.

photo 9 - #41 Frank Walters, So-Cal V8 again with possibly #35 Leon Thomas' MG TC special behind. #35 being in heat #1 also.

photo 10 - #7 Arnold Glass 250F & #19 Ray Walmsley Alfa-Chev.

That will do for the moment.

Stephen

Advertisement

#5020 ed holly

ed holly

• 200 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:01

Here is the next one from John Arkright's collection.

Wirra has been and helped me work out how to load them ...

Ed

Posted Image

#5021 launchpad

launchpad

• 95 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:37

launchpad - Please don't wait 2 1/2 years to post again... any more?

Hi Wirra, I have a limited number of colour shots. I do have many black and white pics over the years.
I'll post some more sometime.

Chris Amon Sandown Tasman 1968
Posted Image

Frank Gardner Longford Tasman 1968 (Saturday race)

Posted Image

#5022 ed holly

ed holly

• 200 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:55

OK Here we go with another 2 of John's photos. Thought I'd better post a couple more to retain what Wirra taught me.

They are in no particular order.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5023 cooper997

cooper997

• 889 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:59

From the John Arkright photos, Ed's loaded up, I'm going to take a chance and say these 3 are all from the January 29th, 1961 Warwick Farm International meeting

The D Type is the Leaton Motors/ then Doug Chivas driven example - it carried #7, entered in event 4 'Unsupercharged Sports Car Race over 1500cc'. Because Frank had moved on to the Lotus 15.

The #10 T51 Cooper is Ron Flockhart in event 6 'Interantional '100' Race'.

The Lago is given away by Barry Collerson's name on it - it was #1 in event 2 'Racing Cars under & over 1500cc'.

Stephen

#5024 ed holly

ed holly

• 200 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:38

Next 3 ...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5025 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,122 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:56

The Piers Courage shot must be from the Friday... not enough people around for either of the other days...

Matich at Catalina is lining up to enter Dunlop, I'd say.

launchpad, I do like that one of Gardner at Newry Corner, a shame you don't have a lot of that stuff!

Stephen, I'm pretty sure that all the Bathurst pics have Pit Straight in the background.

#5026 ed holly

ed holly

• 200 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 21:56

Next 3

Posted Image

Have this as Jane / Beechey

Posted Image

Posted Image

This one as Ian Cook

Edited by ed holly, 28 April 2011 - 21:57.

#5027 launchpad

launchpad

• 95 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:06

The Piers Courage shot must be from the Friday... not enough people around for either of the other days...

Matich at Catalina is lining up to enter Dunlop, I'd say.

launchpad, I do like that one of Gardner at Newry Corner, a shame you don't have a lot of that stuff!

Stephen, I'm pretty sure that all the Bathurst pics have Pit Straight in the background.

Ray, Perhaps a couple more for you. Also B/w from Saturday and the very wet Monday Tasman race.
BRM V12 Richard Attwood
Posted Image
Leo Geoghegan Lotus 39 Repco V8
Posted Image
Graham Hill Lotus 49T
Posted Image
Saturday Lap 1 Longford
Posted Image
John Harvey Repco Brabham V8 Longbridge Longford
Posted Image

#5028 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:25

I think the car being overtaken at Catalina by the Greg Cusack Lotus 23 is the Peter Caldwell Tojeiro Climax. Plannerpower, would you like to run that Oran Park pic again?

Of the quite brilliant Longford shots of a whole lot of very brave and skillful men: brave, brave boys. Thanks for these

#5029 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,122 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:58

Can we have that pic of Harvey coming off the Long Bridge for the F5000 book?

Great pics of the Long Bridge-Newry area, I know exactly what it's like, remember it like yesterday!

The pic of Cusack at Catalina, however, wasn't the Tojiero a lot lighter in colour than that, John? I recall it as a sort of duckegg blue.

#5030 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,288 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 13:01

Love this photo just GREAT thanks Launch pad. :up:

[quote name='launchpad' date='Apr 29 2011, 16:06' post='4992649']
Saturday Lap 1 Longford
Posted Image
Hill from Clark then Amon followed by. Gardner ,Geoghegan ,Attwood ,Bartlet, Rodriguez.

Edited by eldougo, 30 April 2011 - 05:46.

#5031 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 453 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 13:06

[quote name='eldougo' date='Apr 29 2011, 13:01' post='4993013']
Love this photo just GREAT thanks Launch pad. :up:

Longford to a T

Excellent pic

Thanks

#5032 ed holly

ed holly

• 200 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 21:41

More John Arkright photos.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5033 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,594 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 22:46

Of the quite brilliant Longford shots of a whole lot of very brave and skillful men: brave, brave boys. Thanks for these

Jim Clark's last race weekend in a 49.

#5034 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,062 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 23:28

Ray, Perhaps a couple more for you. Also B/w from Saturday and the very wet Monday Tasman race.
BRM V12 Richard Attwood
Posted Image
Leo Geoghegan Lotus 39 Repco V8
Posted Image
Graham Hill Lotus 49T
Posted Image
Saturday Lap 1 Longford
Posted Image
John Harvey Repco Brabham V8 Longbridge Longford
Posted Image

Those two pics over the bridge seem to be different years. The one wth John Harvey the background shrubbery is stunted and the paint on the bridge is shabby wheras the first one has lush shrubbery and fresh paint.
Great Photos.

#5035 Wirra

Wirra

• 911 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 00:21

Can we have that pic of Harvey coming off the Long Bridge for the F5000 book?...

A 2.5 ltr Repco Brabham at Longford in an F5000 book... looks like something Murdoch would publish!

Lee - both from 1968 Longford (no wings). Dry Saturday race and wet Monday Tasman round.

#5036 launchpad

launchpad

• 95 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:45

Can we have that pic of Harvey coming off the Long Bridge for the F5000 book?

Great pics of the Long Bridge-Newry area, I know exactly what it's like, remember it like yesterday!

The pic of Cusack at Catalina, however, wasn't the Tojiero a lot lighter in colour than that, John? I recall it as a sort of duckegg blue.

I tried to send a PM to you but your inbox is full.
Using the photo doesn't seem a problem, but an explanation would be good!

#5037 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:46

Ray's email address is at the bottom of all his posts :)

#5038 launchpad

launchpad

• 95 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:22

Ray's email address is at the bottom of all his posts :)

Thanks Dave, sent e-mail.

#5039 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,122 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:13

The photos of Harvey and the field coming off the bridge were taken at quite different angles, and in totally different lighting conditions...

Needless to say, they are definitely only two days apart.

And for those wondering why I asked about that pic for the F5000 book, there's a very good reason.

Advertisement

#5040 ed holly

ed holly

• 200 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:30

More John Arkright photos

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5041 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,288 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:14

Those CAMS sports car rule were SOOOO dumb, re the carrying a spare tyre on the back of the P4 so sad.

Edited by eldougo, 01 May 2011 - 04:49.

#5042 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,062 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:04

Those CAMS sports car rule were SOOOO dumb, re the carrying a spare tyre on the back of the P4 so sad.

Who has the pic or video of someone changing a wheel trackside at Bathurst on a Production car in the early 70s. Datsun 1200? Actually I think it happened a couple of times. At least the hubcaps were already removed!!

#5043 ed holly

ed holly

• 200 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 22:55

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This photo, I am told by some learned enthusiasts, is the Scorpion Vincent after the accident at Warwick Farm with Peter Hill .. another photo or two of this to come ... Peter had serious damage done to his nose when his face hit the windscreen.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5044 gray chandler

gray chandler

• 83 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 23:14

Dumb ass CAMS rules: Try horns on F5000s. This was at AIR[can,t remember the year but can recall the furore] .You had to blow the horn on entering pit lane.
There were some interesting devices but mostly cycle bulb types,hand held and directed at the marshalls face.

#5045 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,062 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:37

Dumb ass CAMS rules: Try horns on F5000s. This was at AIR[can,t remember the year but can recall the furore] .You had to blow the horn on entering pit lane.
There were some interesting devices but mostly cycle bulb types,hand held and directed at the marshalls face.

In the FJ days most people had horns mounted in the boot. At vague recollections when I first started Sports Sedan we had to have a horn, and a passenger seat. Generally a 1 layer fibreglass one or a plastic kitchen chair.
The chap I bought my Torana from took off back to the pits with his wife in the passenger seat. It broke with her in the seat and went back against the rollcage. I used that same seat with bigger washers to the mount until we were allowed to get rid of the silly things.

#5046 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,288 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:34

Lee .I remember the Seat& Horn thing SOOOOOO ooooo CAMS.

Gray Chandler ,I Not doubting you however i never heard of the Horn in Formula 5000 cars at AIR it sure was not ON when i was there .(early 70.s)

Edited by eldougo, 02 May 2011 - 10:54.

#5047 gray chandler

gray chandler

• 83 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:59

Lee .I remember the Seat& Horn thing SOOOOOO ooooo CAMS.

Gray Chandler ,I Not doubting you however i never heard of the Horn in Formula 5000 cars at AIR it sure was on ON when i was there .(early 70.s)

Doug ,i was in the pit area at the time,notably at the entrance off the bowl and watched this dumb ass official trying to enforce the rule.From memory
i think John Mc Cormack raised some hell over it.

P.S. No less stupid than the Elfin 400 etc with the spare wheel sitting ahead of the pilot.

Edited by gray chandler, 02 May 2011 - 07:19.

#5048 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,122 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:40

I don't know what the fuss is about...

It was a premise that a sports car had some affinity with road use. As years went by, they became less and less so and eventually the stowing of the spare wheel became a problem. This was only really evident when the rear-engined era came.

So it took a while to eliminate the problem, so what? The Matich SR3 had its spare under the windscreen exactly the same as the Elfin 400, they used a front wheel so it was smaller and easier to fit. Where was the Lotus 23's spare?

As for the example of the car at Bathurst, that was a race for production cars, the rules of the early races included the need to use only tools supplied with the car in the first 100 miles or something. What's wrong with that?

#5049 gray chandler

gray chandler

• 83 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:45

Guess i will crawl back under my rock and contemplate my next diabolical move.!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5050 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,731 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:45

A mate's Sports Sedan got logged because it didn't have a passenger seat. He complained that it did in fact have a seat. It was exactly the same as the drivers seat, you sat directly in the alloy tub.
Guess what they complained about next. :D