Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8994 replies to this topic

#5101 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 306 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:05

But you did do the first run as described, correct?

And then tried to beat it on the second?

While that's true to a point, Ray, both the first and second runs tended to be pretty 'banzai' as you could never quite count on the best conditions lasting for the second run and on several occasions the outright record fell on the first run. The important 'sighting' run was the drive up the hill with tow car and trailer. I always tried to time arrival at the pit area on the beach promenade so that, once unloaded, you would be directed to drive up the hill and leave the tow car and trailer parked at the top. That gave you an opportunity to have a good look at areas like the 'pinch' and the following chicane which are not in use other than on that one day each year. Athough you can drive up the rest of the road through the park at any time of year, the 'pinch' is normally a footpath area and the 'road' surface running up it and on which you need to do some serious braking on a quick run tended to change a little from year to year.

All in all King Edward Park has always been a pretty unique sort of challenge for a hillclimber and, even in its now emasculated form, it remains a pretty special place.

On tyre warmers, was it 'Spike' Jones who had a LP gas-fired tyre warmer that he used just before the start?
(quote)

Yes, as I recall "Spike' would jack up the car and run it in gear to warm up both the transmission and rear tyres. The car was piped up so that he could plug in an LPG bottle and lite up the burners so that they played on the rear tyres and warmed them up while rotating. The 'tyre warmer' Ray and I have been referring to is that big ball of fire in the sky!!!

Could it be that my first thoughts were correct?
(quote)

Yes again, Greg. On reflection it is not King Edward Park and probably is the 40 bends at Lithgow although I only went there once and could certainly not claim any great depth of knowledge about the place.

Advertisement

#5102 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 649 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:21

On tyre warmers, was it 'Spike' Jones who had a LP gas-fired tyre warmer that he used just before the start?

Yes Greg you are correct, we only did the rear tyres because we did not have a hose long enough to reach the front at the same time, amasing how hot LP can get tyres.

Those were the days & this was the car.

Posted Image

#5103 launchpad

launchpad

• 95 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:04

Ray, Perhaps a couple more for you. Also B/w from Saturday and the very wet Monday Tasman race.
John Harvey Repco Brabham V8 Longbridge Longford
Posted Image

Hi Ray. Pm sent - did you receive it?

#5104 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 649 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 22:20

[quote name='ed holly' date='May 14 2011, 11:48' post='5018209']
Some more ....

Posted Image

The Jag would be Bill Burns, the number plate is BBJ-304, Bill Burns, App.J, 3.4 this is the same car that he had a huge accident in at Longford, was this an ex Mckay car.

I remember it running at Huntley after the repairs were completed, it was straight but paint had not been completed at that stage, the car was redin colour.

#5105 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 649 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 22:25

[Posted Image

Is this the Aston Martin of Lex Davinson

#5106 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,388 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 22:37

Super thread, excellent photos, almost feel like I was there.

#5107 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,449 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 23:14

Originally posted by launchpad
Hi Ray. PM sent - did you receive it?

No, my PMs are full and there's stuff in there I don't want to delete...

That's why I have my e.mail address at the bottom of every post. And a note not to PM me. Just click on my e.mail address and it opens up for you, or go to my profile ...so you click on my name at the top of this post, then select profile, then go to the bottom left and click on 'send email'.

No PMs... just e.mail. It's a lot easier.

#5108 ed holly

ed holly

• 201 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:44

Some more of John's photos ....

Great to see the interest in them and will make sure John gets to know they are appreciated ....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by ed holly, 16 May 2011 - 02:46.

#5109 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,449 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:31

Originally posted by DanTra2858
Is this the Aston Martin of Lex Davison?

I don't think Lex ever ran that at the Farm, but Stillwell did... someone will know...

#5110 cooper997

cooper997

• 911 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:06

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Great photos from John, Ed. Thanks for sharing.

I suspect that all these photos relate to January 29th, 1961 Warwick Farm International meeting.

The shirtless Moss goes without saying. This was the year he won by nearly 2 laps in the RRC Walker Lotus.

Something about this Climax engine is saying to me, that it's Roxburgh's car.

The Aston Martin DBR1/300 engine should be Lex's - he was still being stubborn and running front engined cars at that stage. I think it's Alec Mildren sitting in the Cooper next door. With John Ampt's Cooper-Jaguar in the background. Bib had his Aston entered with a 'TBN' for a driver, he ran one of his Coopers and had another Cooper entered with 'TBN' for driver also.

#6 is Gurney's BRM.

#11 is Brabham's Cooper.

Stephen

#5111 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 649 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:56

In the series of John Arkright's photos of cars leaving the Dummy Grid at Warick Farm there is what appears to be a Clubman car that seems not to have a drivers rear wheel, was this car involved in an accident & any details on the car & driver.

#5112 Alexis68

Alexis68

• 10 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 14:30

Some SA motoring photographers writers that were around in S.A. during the 60's and 70's were -

Jack Glasson - SCW early sixties - probably no longer with us
Bob Burke - SCW and AMS - still around in Adelaide
John Lemm - mainly photographer
Barry Oliver - RCN - ?
John Brownsea - various mags - still around in Adelaide
Barry Catford - various mags - still around in Adelaide
Bob Jennings - The Advertiser - not sure where Bob is now?

I thought I would add another here

Murray scott,Photographer, Business name Scott Motographics Chequered Flag, RCN,Revs,Drag racing news and a few others over the years, He is still a motorsport and photography fan but not active in either
regards,
Alexis

lets see how I go at my first picture upload here,
http://img715.images...g/photo2gu.jpg/

Edited by Alexis68, 17 May 2011 - 16:04.

#5113 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 15:50

A better start than a lot of people make :lol:

Next time, instead of copying the Link, copy the Forum IRL (a couple below it)

That way the picture comes straight up in the post

#5114 Alexis68

Alexis68

• 10 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 15:55

A better start than a lot of people make :lol:

Next time, instead of copying the Link, copy the Forum IRL (a couple below it)

That way the picture comes straight up in the post

Thanks David, I'll have another go tomorrow night and see If I can find this IRL,'
regards,
Alexis

#5115 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,641 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 16:47

This is another useful picture posting device, easy to use too. Nice shots so far, and welcome.
http://www.postimage.org/
Roger Lund

#5116 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,449 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:41

Yes, Alexis, good to see you 'having a go'...

Here's how your pic could well look, at least one of them:

Posted Image

I have actually done a couple of things here. First I took out the sepia or other colour (you scanned it from B&W, I feel sure, with a colour scanner setting?) and turned it back into a mono shot. Then I turned it upright, cropped off the surplus road in the foreground and reduced the overall size just a little.

This took me about 30 seconds with Irfanview, one of the most useful freebie computer tools available, I do suggest you download it.

Then I uploaded it again, first as a single pic to get the same effect you would have had so I can show you the right place to click and copy as mentioned by David above. He did mean 'URL', by the way, not 'IRL'. Slip of the fingers, but you can forgive him as he's a Kiwi and living in the Northern Hemisphere.

Posted Image

Then I introduced it into my online file of images, which is what you build up for yourself when you use imageshack and register. When you do this and click on 'my images' you get thumbnails of all the pics you've uploaded, with the last first... hence:

Posted Image

You see a row of little circles to the right of each pic there, these are your tools for doing things with those pics, including deleting them. But the only one you really ever use is the top one, the one with the little blue 'i' in it, which is to enable you to share the pic... when you click on that you get these options, the principal one being highlighted:

Posted Image

That's the one that puts the pic in place on the forum. Left click to highlight it, right click to copy, paste to your post on a separate line.

You can see there options to use thumbnails if you want to, but your main aim is to get them onto the forum, so you look for the word 'forums'. You will notice here that I've unclicked the 'include details'... this gets rid of extraneous stuff you really don't need to post with the pic.

By the way, that's the Mallala Gold Star race with KB leading Leo in 1968, right?

#5117 Alexis68

Alexis68

• 10 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 13:36

Posted Image

I have actually done a couple of things here. First I took out the sepia or other colour (you scanned it from B&W, I feel sure, with a colour scanner setting?) and turned it back into a mono shot. Then I turned it upright, cropped off the surplus road in the foreground and reduced the overall size just a little.

This took me about 30 seconds with Irfanview, one of the most useful freebie computer tools available, I do suggest you download it.

Then I uploaded it again, first as a single pic to get the same effect you would have had so I can show you the right place to click and copy as mentioned by David above. He did mean 'URL', by the way, not 'IRL'. Slip of the fingers, but you can forgive him as he's a Kiwi and living in the Northern Hemisphere.

Posted Image

Then I introduced it into my online file of images, which is what you build up for yourself when you use imageshack and register. When you do this and click on 'my images' you get thumbnails of all the pics you've uploaded, with the last first... hence:

Posted Image

You see a row of little circles to the right of each pic there, these are your tools for doing things with those pics, including deleting them. But the only one you really ever use is the top one, the one with the little blue 'i' in it, which is to enable you to share the pic... when you click on that you get these options, the principal one being highlighted:

Posted Image

That's the one that puts the pic in place on the forum. Left click to highlight it, right click to copy, paste to your post on a separate line.

You can see there options to use thumbnails if you want to, but your main aim is to get them onto the forum, so you look for the word 'forums'. You will notice here that I've unclicked the 'include details'... this gets rid of extraneous stuff you really don't need to post with the pic.

By the way, that's the Mallala Gold Star race with KB leading Leo in 1968, right?

Thanks Ray for all that hard work next day off Ill go through you help and start posting more of the pics I have here,
regards,
Alexis

#5118 Alexis68

Alexis68

• 10 posts

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks Ray for all that hard work next day off Ill go through you help and start posting more of the pics I have here,
regards,
Alexis

#5119 Alexis68

Alexis68

• 10 posts

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

regards,
Alexis

Advertisement

#5120 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 16:09

Couple of points, Alexis:

If you find you've posted the same thing twice (or even three times) you can delete the repeats

Also, if you want to reply to a post, don't hit the 'Reply' button. That's too obvious. Go further down and click on 'Add Reply'
(Unless of course you do want to include what the earlier poster said)

Meant not as criticism but to help you get to grips with the forum :)

#5121 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,845 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 17:17

Couple of points, Alexis:

If you find you've posted the same thing twice (or even three times) you can delete the repeats

Also, if you want to reply to a post, don't hit the 'Reply' button. That's too obvious. Go further down and click on 'Add Reply'
(Unless of course you do want to include what the earlier poster said)

Meant not as criticism but to help you get to grips with the forum :)

Also if you do QUOTE a previous posting you can edit it down to what you are replying to rather than include the whole post.

Also meant not as criticism but to help you get to grips with the forum :)

#5122 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,449 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 20:50

And 'Fast Reply' is easiest and quickest...

You can still put links in it just like any other reply, so that's why I always use it unless quoting.

Further to the 'Reply' and 'Quote' thing, you can see next to the 'Quote' there is a '+', if you click on 'Quote' you can delete that (turn it to '-') but I don't know what it does if you do. It appears to be the same thing when you then click on 'Reply'.

#5123 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 21:29

I've never used 'Fast Reply', because it doesn't work. Maybe a Mac thing...

#5124 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,449 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 21:30

Originally posted by Alexis68
Posted Image

What a busy photo!

Full of action and then there's more... does anyone else feel this isn't Jim McKeown driving?

Terry Allan is in the Camaro, by the way, but if you have a race report for the Easter Mallala (or a long memory...) in '68 the answer's there.

#5125 Formula 5000

Formula 5000

• 28 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 22:50

Stormin Norman Beechey driving the Jim McKeown Cortina, with his own Minilite wheels on it. McKeown drove the Beechey Chevy Nova. it was at a wet Calder meeting. Their Neptune sponsor arranged the driver swap as a publicity draw. Peter Manton still drove his own Min.

#5126 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,725 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 00:36

I have a feeling that Beechey drove McKeown's Mk 1 at a Mallala meeting too.

#5127 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,449 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:02

I don't recall that one, David...

But this instance was when Beechey had blown up a couple of engines and McKeown had to rush back to Melbourne as his father had died. Beechey went on to win the SA Touring Car title with the car.

#5128 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:29

Stormin Norman Beechey driving the Jim McKeown Cortina, with his own Minilite wheels on it. McKeown drove the Beechey Chevy Nova. it was at a wet Calder meeting. Their Neptune sponsor arranged the driver swap as a publicity draw. Peter Manton still drove his own Min.

Yes..... I remember that quite well Rob. The cars in the Electric Blue colour scheme at the time :)

#5129 seldo

seldo

• 1,633 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:41

His own Minilites? Why would Norm have a set of 4 stud Minilites that just happened to be the correct PCD/offset/dia etc? Not disputing - just find it a bit strange...

#5130 Wirra

Wirra

• 918 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:22

Jim also used them.

Posted Image

#5131 Wirra

Wirra

• 918 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:34

Looking through my slides for the GRD of Dave McConnell I came across this photo - It has a Lotus badge but the GRD (or Jim Russell) colour scheme. Anyone know who and what (Lotus 69?)?

Posted Image

Dave McConnell GRD 2 - 1972

Posted Image

Edited by Wirra, 20 May 2011 - 02:25.

#5132 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,449 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:52

I remember the car, but I don't remember anything else...

Lotus 69, nothing in Tasman reports that I could find in a hurry.

#5133 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:01

Cant help, but I do recall being impressed, at Warwick Farm, both finish of the car and performance. Once again my recall of colour etc is incorrect

#5134 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,721 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:26

Jim McKeown, Lotus Cortina, Caversham, October 1968 (the last ever meeting at Cavvo). Wearing Minilites on the car. The third picture is a parade lap, with the late Ossie Crantson, Grand Marshall, leading. Ossie took Fastest Time in the 1936 Australian Grand Prix in his Ford V8 Spl, was a major Ford dealer in WA.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5135 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 355 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:59

What a busy photo!

Full of action and then there's more... does anyone else feel this isn't Jim McKeown driving?

Terry Allan is in the Camaro, by the way, but if you have a race report for the Easter Mallala (or a long memory...) in '68 the answer's there.

I remember that race , not like it was yesterday mind you , but I do recall watching from a position on the back straight toward the northern hairpin. Norm was only getting into top gear after the banana bend whereas Jim never did that as I recall. Norm was fairly wringing every ounce of horsepower out of that car. A stirring drive. Great memories.

#5136 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 18:55

Looking through my slides for the GRD of Dave McConnell I came across this photo - It has a Lotus badge but the GRD (or Jim Russell) colour scheme. Anyone know who and what (Lotus 69?)?

Dave McConnell's 1971 Tasman 59 ;)

#5137 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 23:46

Dave McConnell's 1971 Tasman 59 ;)

Saturday Practice Warwick Farm 13th February 1971
Posted Image

Edited by lyntonh, 13 February 2012 - 05:02.

#5138 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,721 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 05:03

This is a dummy, but - oh what a book it could be!

The TNF Australian Motor Racing Album, a handsome coffee table book of a mere 400 glossy pages and weighing a mere 4 kg . . . (each book autographed by the contributing photographers / custodians of the photos, bound in the leather of unborn emus, a modest $250 each!

Posted Image

Edited by Terry Walker, 20 May 2011 - 06:22.

#5139 cooper997

cooper997

• 911 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:31

Terry,

Brilliant idea. The concept has a lot of merit. Certainly plenty of great material to pick from. In fact be difficult to decide which ones get published versus those that don't. Do we hear a second volume...

Co-ordinating permission, production, the bank-rolling and ultimately sale of, would be a sizeable task. But probably not impossible.

Stephen

Edited by cooper997, 20 May 2011 - 06:32.

Advertisement

#5140 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 829 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:40

Great idea Terry, what a fantastic reference tool that would be. Big job......

#5141 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,449 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 14:30

Well past time I posted some more from Clare:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And some indulgence with Keith's car:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5142 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,449 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 21:47

A bit more personal stuff... this is the 'equipe' in their driveway during his time with the first TC:

Posted Image

And at Bathurst, no idea what year:

Posted Image

And this is how the first TC fitted on the truck:

Posted Image

Should be in the 'Transporters' thread, shouldn't it?

#5143 launchpad

launchpad

• 95 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:16

Hi, I found a few photos I took at Warwick Farm 1969 round of the Tasman Series if anyone is interested.

Posted Image/

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5144 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,349 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:43

That was "the WET "meeting i remember it well . Love the pic of FRANK telling another one of his great stories while sitting on KB rear wheel the looks like Barry Carr on the right behind the rear wing.

I wonder what the story behind KB driving blind so to speak it must have stung his face in the wet. Maybe he will comment soon.

And the winner Rindt on the day we will never forget his skill.

Thanks Launchpad.

#5145 cooper997

cooper997

• 911 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:55

Great photos Launchpad.

The photo of Jochen Rindt taking the chequered flag was used in period press correct? 1969 Australian Motor Racing Annual.

Stephen

#5146 launchpad

launchpad

• 95 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:18

Great photos Launchpad.

The photo of Jochen Rindt taking the chequered flag was used in period press correct? 1969 Australian Motor Racing Annual.

Stephen

Thanks, I don't have a copy of the 1969 AMRA but I think it was.
The KB pic was used in the '69 Shell book of New Zealand Motor Racing - they are favourites of mine.
Launchpad.

#5147 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:40

The KB pic was used in the '69 Shell book of New Zealand Motor Racing - they are favourites of mine.

But you had no qualms about stealing it?

#5148 cooper997

cooper997

• 911 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:48

Launchpad,

Your Rindt photo covers nearly half page 15 of the 1969 AMRA in the Tasman Warwick Farm coverage. This is the edition with KB on the cover. Happy to scan page, if required.

Stephen

#5149 cooper997

cooper997

• 911 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:52

I think you'll find that Launchpad is the original photographer.

Stephen

#5150 launchpad

launchpad

• 95 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:41

Hi David,
Don't jump to conclusions!!
I took all the photos and the magazines paid me for their use.
I have been a "freelance" or contributing photographer since 1967.
I can't get motor racing or photography out of my system - but then, I haven't tried.
I understand well the concept of copyright and therefore will only post my own photos -which are still copyright.
These have been used and enjoyed by anyone who has seen these publications.
I probably will post some more personal photos I have taken over the years and there will be no theft involved.
Launchpad.