Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8962 replies to this topic

#5251 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 00:44

Would that be former karter Ray Sinclair?

Yes Bondy.... You probably remember him from Road Racing more than Sprint I suspect.

Advertisement

#5252 Bondy

Bondy

• 188 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 00:50

Yes Bondy.... You probably remember him from Road Racing more than Sprint I suspect.

Yep sure do, top bloke.. I stayed with him and Andy Mathers a few times when racing @ Winton. Been probably almost 10 years since i've seen Ray, saw Andy about 5 years ago.. They used to pop there head in my tent when i'd be selling at Historic Meets.

#5253 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 829 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:36

I was just looking thru Jan '65 Tas Motorist with Dec 1964 Baskerville meeting report and Pare is mentioned coming 2nd in one race behind Bessant's VW driving the Elliot Cortina GT. It was also mentioned that Elliot had a new Lotus Cortina on the way for Pare which would arrive for the next Bask meeting (would have been the late Jan meeting) and he would be driving the car at the Tas Touring Champ meeting. So Robin must have started racing for Don possibly mid way thru 1964 at least.
David Keep recalled him driving at the Richmond sprints in 1964 before he started with Don, probably in the family car. I've attached shots from the accident which Leigh Stephens too - I was there but not shooting on the day. Huge shunt - Robin was very lucky to survive it. Also one shot in the supercharged Anglia from Bask1966.Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5254 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,922 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:29

Hi Allen what program do you use to rectify the pictures

I sed Photoshop to do that but I also have Fireworks which works almost as well. The basic version of Photoshop is very good value.

The only took I used on that image was the automatic colour balance but the most effective tool if you're willing to spend a bit of time experimenting is the tool for removing a colour cast. All you do is click on a part of the image that shouldn't have any colour, for example a tire, and Photoshop adjusts the whole image accordingly. If an image has been scanned at a high resolution, it's amazing how much can be recovered.

#5255 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,140 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:34

Yes he was very fresh faced wasn't he! I think he would have been 17, 18 tops in that shot. Check out the crowd which turned out to see "Skinny" Manton - was a very big deal for Baskerville at the time. Posted Image

You see what happens when they close the pub on Sunday. People have to find something to do.
Look at that real crowd, Cochrane is drooling

#5256 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:26

Oran Park 19th September 1971
Sports Sedans..the early race

B Warwick
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Christine Cole in John Leffler's Mini
Posted Image

Brock wasn't the only one!!
Posted Image

Left-hand drive Mini
Posted Image

Edited by lyntonh, 13 February 2012 - 05:35.

#5257 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,245 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:34

Originally posted by lyntonh
ran Park 19th September 1971
Sports Sedans..the early race

Posted Image

Chris Strode...

Recall that he used this number (34) on his EJ, and I think you'll find that the colours - Lime Green and Black - are the same.

The left hand drive Mini owner probably remembered Peter Manton changing his car from left to right hand drive at different circuits in the mid-sixties.

#5258 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 453 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:55

Posted Image

When the Anglia came back down it veered off the track and hit a straining post midships.
I took 8mm movie of the accident.

Elliots new Lotus Cortina arrived in Hobart on the 3/12/1964 on board the Seaway King.
It had been to George Wades shop in Melb en route to Hobart

Pare was 16 when he started driving Elliots old GT Cortina.

Chas Kelly owns the Lotus Cortina
Graham Parsons has the remains of the GT
The Anglia ended life in Penguin Tas

Edited by Ellis French, 31 May 2011 - 09:57.

#5259 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,245 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:28

Thanks, Ellis...

I was harbouring thoughts that Robin wasn't yet of an age to get a road licence (at least the age in NSW, where I lived) when I first saw him race.

Advertisement

#5260 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:32

Sports Sedans...later in the day

?, ?, & Lynn Brown
Posted Image

John Leffler & ?
Posted Image

Not sure which photo I prefer...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

? & Lynn Brown
Posted Image

#5261 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:35

And might that be Gavin's Porsche, or am I in the wrong time-frame?

I am not sure that it is. I have tried to match the rego number with the Gavin Youl car (ex Gorringe as Ellrosso said) but cannot do so with any certainty. I have heard that Don Gorringe sold at least 4-5 Porsches in Tasmania in late 50-s early 60s, sothere were others about. I have a photo of one (lighter in colour than these) taken in Wynyard circa 1958 on one of his sales trips to the Northwest coast. In at least several cases he registered the car and drove it himself until he could sell it.

By the way I dont think the gent behind the Wyllie Javelin is Brian Mahoney - I have found another photo that I am fairly sure shows Brian and they are not the same.

First photo shows Gavin Youl in Appendix K trim at Symmons Plains in 1961, with his main rival David Lewis in ex Ray Long NSW Holden. Others from this meeting (can anyone pinpoint the date - I dont have the program) show car number 20 Jim Barrie in Barrie Zephyr Mk II (he died later in 1961 in this car at Domain Hillclimb in Hobart) and Ray Long in his brand new Elfin Aero.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Posted Image

Posted Image

#5262 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,140 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:39

?, ?, & Lynn Brown
Posted Image

John Leffler & ?
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

? & Lynn Brown
Posted Image

Is that the Harry Defoe Imp? And the FE is left hook. There was one of those with a Chev, cant think of the drivers name.

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 31 May 2011 - 10:42.

#5263 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,245 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:52

Originally posted by lyntonh

?, ?, & Lynn Brown
Posted Image

John Leffler & ?
Posted Image

Not sure about the FE, Ellis... the famous one was built and raced by Barry Sharp, this might be that car, but not Sharpy...

Harry Lefoe and the FE and Bruce Taylor in the yellow and black Mini, I feel sure.

John Leffler and Ron Gillard in the Pat Peck Torana. Though the cars were close like this in the Girls' Race when Chris Cole led Pat Peck.

#5264 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,245 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:57

Correction...

Referring to RCN, I am forced to recall that Lynn Brown did indeed have that colour scheme at one time. And it was Bill Slattery in the FE.

#5265 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 829 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:03

Rob, I should have been clearer re the Gorringe / Youl connection - I was referring to the Wylie Javelin which Gorringe sold to the Youls so apologies for that. As far as the Porsche goes I was assuming it would be a Youl car as it looks like their Jag is on one side and the Porsche is at the rear of their pit area.Posted Image
This shot is from Baskerville in 1959 I'd say and shows Don Gorringe in the Javelin, Stan Allen in the Fiat Spl and the Youl Porsche in the background.
As Bob Wright is no longer with us I can't verify that as gospel. Also thanks Ellis for your great info re Pare/Elliot - I always thought you could get your licence at 16 yrs 9 mths in Tassy back in the day ( a few mates at Rose Bay High had motorbikes on L's at 16 in their final year in 1972 ). I'm a but surprised that they gave Robin a CAMS licence at 16 though. I know Edmonson had to wait till he was 17.

#5266 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:55

Rob, I should have been clearer re the Gorringe / Youl connection - I was referring to the Wylie Javelin which Gorringe sold to the Youls so apologies for that. As far as the Porsche goes I was assuming it would be a Youl car as it looks like their Jag is on one side and the Porsche is at the rear of their pit area.Posted Image
This shot is from Baskerville in 1959 I'd say and shows Don Gorringe in the Javelin, Stan Allen in the Fiat Spl and the Youl Porsche in the background.
As Bob Wright is no longer with us I can't verify that as gospel. Also thanks Ellis for your great info re Pare/Elliot - I always thought you could get your licence at 16 yrs 9 mths in Tassy back in the day ( a few mates at Rose Bay High had motorbikes on L's at 16 in their final year in 1972 ). I'm a but surprised that they gave Robin a CAMS licence at 16 though. I know Edmonson had to wait till he was 17.

Lindsay, if this is 1959 it would need to be January because John Youl was in the Wyllie Javelin, painted red at Longford in March 1959. More likely 1958 I'd say. I have program from Baskerville 13 April 1958 and a few individual pages undated from other 1958 meetings and all these cars were present at those meetings. The 1958 programs show that it was John who drove the Porsche; it was not until later that Gavin took over, perhaps after they bought the Wyllie Javelin. I believe Gavin was entered at the opening meeting in February 1958 in an Austin Healey (the only one entered), so that is likely to be him behind the Porsche in this photo.

The Stan Allen Fiat Special is an interesting car that was quite quick in its original form and in 1957-58 was one of Tasmania's fastest cars. Stan later gave it an Austin K4 6 cylinder engine with lengthened nose, which upset both the looks and handling of the car, and I would not be surprised if it was no faster.

In 1973 you had to be 17 in Tas, I as I did my test on my 17th birthday.

#5267 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 14:40

I wouldn't have thought Gavin raced the Porsche until 1960 - 1959 was his Austin Lancer year

But hey! I wasn't there!

#5268 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 829 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 21:43

Could well be 1958 Rob, I don't have a lot to go on re Tas pre 1960 so I can't say anything 100% certain. I didn't get my licence in Hobart until I was 17 either (in 1973 also)
but I can remember something about 16 yrs 9 mths - maybe Ellis could shed some light on how Pare got in so early with a CAMS licence. That Stan Allen car was very quick with the Fiat engine - top 3 car at least in local racing.

#5269 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,805 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 21:57

Not sure about Tas. - in NSW it was 16yrs.9months for a learner's permit, and 17 for a licence. I think I had my driver's licence [in 1958] at 17yrs. and about 5 minutes!  ;)

To get a CAMS licence, a driver's licence was required, therefore 17yrs. old. It is different now.

#5270 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,245 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 22:40

I once had a Judge remark that I'd got mine on my 17th birthday... no, don't ask...

I have a notion it was a little different in Tassie, but I wouldn't swear to it. Yes, permit from 16 years 9 months from about 1962 (when 3-month Learners' Permits were introduced), 16 years 10 months prior to that in the era of 2-month Permits.

P-plates, while we're on the subject, were introduced between my two brothers' licensing times, so not before November 1964 and definitely before March 1966. I would suspect it was January 1966.

#5271 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 829 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 22:48

I know SA was 16 as John Walker got his licence at that age back in the 60's.

#5272 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,805 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 23:10

I once had a Judge remark that I'd got mine on my 17th birthday... no, don't ask...

I have a notion it was a little different in Tassie, but I wouldn't swear to it. Yes, permit from 16 years 9 months from about 1962 (when 3-month Learners' Permits were introduced), 16 years 10 months prior to that in the era of 2-month Permits.

P-plates, while we're on the subject, were introduced between my two brothers' licensing times, so not before November 1964 and definitely before March 1966. I would suspect it was January 1966.

Think you're correct about NSW permits being 2 months, Ray...........Maybe it just seemed like 3 months?

#5273 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,245 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 23:29

Like I said, Greg, it became three months during 1962...

And therefore it became possible to drive (with stern company, of course!) from 16 years and 9 months. This was, of course, NSW. Same applies to P-plates, other states followed eventually, but NSW led.

It was in compulsory belt wearing and random breath testing that Victoria led the way.

#5274 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,140 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 00:42

I know SA was 16 as John Walker got his licence at that age back in the 60's.

So did I !

#5275 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 346 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:09

So did I !

Likewise!

Here is a pic of the Geoghegan Mustang at the time Bob Gill owned it . Pic taken at AIR Oct 1972 .

Posted Image

This pic is of the City State Racing Team HQ driven by Mal Ramsey. Also at the AIR Oct 1972 meeting.

Posted Image

Edited by fredeuce, 02 June 2011 - 04:25.

#5276 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 453 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:10

[quote name='ellrosso' date='May 31 2011, 22:43' post='5071980']

but I can remember something about 16 yrs 9 mths - maybe Ellis could shed some light on how Pare got in so early with a CAMS licence.

Robin told me when I spoke to him while doing some additional research on the Lotus Cortina about 3 or so years ago.
Only 16 could mean 16 and 364 days.

I went for my test drive and answered some questions and got my license about 3 weeks before I was 17 in country Tas....1960
By the time it arrived in the mail it was probably past the date.

#5277 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:23

Sports Sedans again & a Clubman

Chris Cole & Sue Ransom?
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I wonder if he could hear that guard on the tyre?
Posted Image

#5278 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 453 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:32

And might that be Gavin's Porsche, or am I in the wrong time-frame?

Dont think its the same car.
I have a pic showing Gavins Porsche #38 following David Lewis in 1961.
It has the rego WNL 5?? last 2 digits obscurred

#5279 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,743 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:54

About driving licence age in NSW. It was possible to get your licence earlier if special circumstances required it. You applied through your local member and gave a good reason (like shift work/living out of town/family hardship) and you could get a licence from about the age of 15. It was rare but it was possible.

Advertisement

#5280 Team Result

Team Result

• 208 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:15

I think it was Darryln Huitt (sp) who drove the Pat Crea VW sports sedan

#5281 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:47

Lindsay, if this is 1959 it would need to be January because John Youl was in the Wyllie Javelin, painted red at Longford in March 1959. More likely 1958 I'd say. I have program from Baskerville 13 April 1958 and a few individual pages undated from other 1958 meetings and all these cars were present at those meetings. The 1958 programs show that it was John who drove the Porsche; it was not until later that Gavin took over, perhaps after they bought the Wyllie Javelin. I believe Gavin was entered at the opening meeting in February 1958 in an Austin Healey (the only one entered), so that is likely to be him behind the Porsche in this photo.

The Stan Allen Fiat Special is an interesting car that was quite quick in its original form and in 1957-58 was one of Tasmania's fastest cars. Stan later gave it an Austin K4 6 cylinder engine with lengthened nose, which upset both the looks and handling of the car, and I would not be surprised if it was no faster.

In 1973 you had to be 17 in Tas, I as I did my test on my 17th birthday.

'austmcreg',
The Stan Allen Fiat Special. It must have been quite a goer if it was running the Fiat 1100 engine. Exhaust and inlet on the RH side suggests this. Supercharged?
Any chassis, running gear detail would be appreciated.

#5282 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,805 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:57

I think it was Darryln Huitt (sp) who drove the Pat Crea VW sports sedan

That's correct, it was Darrylyn Huitt - and she drove it very well! :clap:

What a hand-full that VW would have been, with that big 'lump' of a V8 [P76?] hanging out the back. My Beetle sports sedan was scary enough, with an air-cooled VW motor!

#5283 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,245 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:27

Yes, Darrylyn Huitt in the VW... as featured on the cover of RCN soon afterwards...

And you can see Brian Potts' name on one of the Minis there. 'R. Armstrong' on an EH too?

#5284 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:10

In NZ you could always get a licence at 15. Still can, AFAIK, though I believe there's now a fairly extensive 'P' period thereafter. Someone will know

#5285 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,140 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:57

What a hand-full that VW would have been, with that big 'lump' of a V8 [P76?] hanging out the back. My Beetle sports sedan was scary enough, with an air-cooled VW motor!

The P38 motor was probably no heavier though than a lot of 4 cyl 'waterpumpers'
Though an interesting exercise it would have been to drive it! Having the radiator and assorted ancilaries up front may have balanced the car out somewhat but it would still have been a big pendulem. And keeping a gearbox in it would have been intersting too.

#5286 Wirra

Wirra

• 916 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:20

The Imp was mid-engined IIRC, so it would be more a case of the ultra short wheelbase limiting its performance.

Again IIRC, the Lawes Mini had a 186?

Left-hand drive Mini
Posted Image

Edited by Wirra, 02 June 2011 - 12:12.

#5287 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 453 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:45

I wouldn't have thought Gavin raced the Porsche until 1960 - 1959 was his Austin Lancer year

But hey! I wasn't there!

He was still racing the Lancer at Baskerville in early 1960 as it was the first meeting I attended.

#5288 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,245 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:25

Originally posted by Wirra
The Imp was mid-engined IIRC, so it would be more a case of the ultra short wheelbase limiting its performance.

Again IIRC, the Laws Mini had a 186?

179, I think, driving forward through a VW gearbox...

But that pic isn't it.

The Crea/Huitt car with a P76? When did that happen?

#5289 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:51

The Pat Crea VW......

Posted with permission from Ray Sinclair.

Posted Image

#5290 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:40

'austmcreg',
The Stan Allen Fiat Special. It must have been quite a goer if it was running the Fiat 1100 engine. Exhaust and inlet on the RH side suggests this. Supercharged?
Any chassis, running gear detail would be appreciated.

I dont know any detail other than what was in the race programs. In 1957 it was 1393cc. In 1958 it was 1393cc S/C. So, it would seem that it may have started out unsupercharged when it debuted (1956??) but became so-equipped by 1958. To my eyes it seems to have had Ford 10 wheels in its early form, so perhaps the chassis and running gear was thus sourced. I am sure someone will correct that if not so. In 1957 it was painted in the lurid iridescant blue paint that made it stand out, plus the 'Stan Allen's FIAT' signage which managed to elude the CAMS advertising police for 3 years. Stan was a garage proprietor in Burnie, specialising in engine rebuilding, so it could easily be construed as advertising. By 1960 it had aquired an Austin K4 (truck?) engine and a lengthened chassis, and had lost its good looks. There was at least one other car with a K4 engine in the Burnie area in the early 60s (the car run circa 1965-66 by Bernard Harbeck as the K4 Special with sports car body). I have a suspicion that this might have had origins in the Stan Allen car.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5291 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,245 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:55

It was no 1100 engine...

The engine was from a Fiat 1400, the larger early fifties Fiat sedan.

#5292 redgts

redgts

• 34 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:06

Is that the Harry Defoe Imp? And the FE is left hook. There was one of those with a Chev, cant think of the drivers name.

It was Bill Slattery and it was orange and black.

#5293 redgts

redgts

• 34 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:10

?, ?, & Lynn Brown
Posted Image

John Leffler & ?
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

? & Lynn Brown
Posted Image

The Torana would be Pat Peck.Great old pics

#5294 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 613 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:30

It was still running the VW motor at this time; the V8 came much later. The VW motor was 2.1 litres, I think (big bore kit and a stroker crank).

There was a bloke called Ron Dean who had a very fast motorkhana / khanacross special that was a VW platform, shortened to a 1800mm wheelbase, with a P76 V8 driving through a Kombi auto box. The VW motor he had before had more grunt but he just preferred the V8!

A VW motor is pretty light, too - magnesium crankcase, aluminium heads and so on.

Bruce Moxon

#5295 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,245 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:41

Only in the ladies' races, gts...

Ron ("the dog") Gillard drove it in its main competitive outings, he was much faster than Pat.

#5296 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,805 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:54

It was still running the VW motor at this time; the V8 came much later. The VW motor was 2.1 litres, I think (big bore kit and a stroker crank).

There was a bloke called Ron Dean who had a very fast motorkhana / khanacross special that was a VW platform, shortened to a 1800mm wheelbase, with a P76 V8 driving through a Kombi auto box. The VW motor he had before had more grunt but he just preferred the V8!

A VW motor is pretty light, too - magnesium crankcase, aluminium heads and so on.

Bruce Moxon

What's the radiator for, if it was air cooled? When I saw Darrylyn Huitt driving the car at Oran Park, it had the V8.

#5297 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,245 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:24

A big oil cooler, Greg...

I honestly can't recall knowing it had a V8 in it!

#5298 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,805 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:33

Being a bit of a VW nut, I had a good look at the car.....the V8 was hard to miss, Ray! I also had quite a chat to Darrylyn - a charming lady, and bloody good driver.

#5299 redgts

redgts

• 34 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:12

Only in the ladies' races, gts...

Ron ("the dog") Gillard drove it in its main competitive outings, he was much faster than Pat.

They usually had a cross entry as i seem to recall.

Advertisement

#5300 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 497 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:16

Darrylyn - a charming lady, and bloody good driver.

As an O/T aside, at some time in the late '70s I believe that Darrylyn drove the VW at a Baskerville meeting. At the same time there was a local club rally on and she also drove Lin Gigney's works replica Lancer in the rally. One of my best mates at the time got to navigate for her and from what he said she was all what is quoted above. Unfortunately I was on holidays interstate at the time, or I might have had a chance of getting the gig ( he wasn't a navigator's a*** ****!)