Thats Smed in white closest to Camera in the 2nd pic

Sorry to be dumb, but who is Smed?

Advertisement

#5352 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,837 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 21:46

Geoff Smedley...

If you search for posts of his you'll find them, he doesn't post often but when he does they're worth reading.

He's from a family who owned a major engineering shop in Launceston and he took an interest in racing in the early Longford era. He worked on the Aussie Miller Cooper, in particular installing the Chev V8 and his story about the Baker's Beach speed record is definitely on this forum and worth reading.

Boyce Youl then had him preparing John's Cooper, and when John retired he went to Frank Matich, doing a lot of conversion work on the 19B to graft Brabham suspension onto the back and the like. when Frank's Total deal went belly-up in the wake of the 1965 Lotus Lakeside crash Geoff stayed in the same workshop in the Sydney suburb of Berala and prepared the Howard and Sons cars.

In that period he created an alloy downdraught inlet head for the 105E-109E etc Fords, about which there is a lot of mention on various threads here too, then he moved on to work for a prominent team (the name escapes me right now...) in Singapore or Malaya where he prepared the ex-Mildren Brabham for Grice and others as well as looking after a team of Minis. Again, there are photos and stories posted here.

Today Geoff is a mine of information about those times. He was there as Longford was created, before Symmons was built and building cars and preparing cars for over a decade. He creates much smaller things today, steam engines in miniature, and thoroughly enjoys looking back on some very interesting times.

#5353 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 338 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 22:12

Why is it that we have lost thirty odd pages of this valuable thread? Any clues anybody?

#5354 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,280 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 22:20

Temporary technical problems, as explained in this post in the Website Feedback forum:

Due to ongoing stability problems - for which we apologise - we have temporarily removed the first three million posts from the forum's database.

Some long running threads will begin in early Feb 2008, while any older threads that remain accessible will have no content.

This is a temporary measure to see if the root cause of these problems is the size of the posts table. All these posts will be restored when the result of running the forum in this way becomes clear.

Thanks for your understanding.

#5355 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,837 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 22:38

That's a pain...

We can't afford to lose those pics altogether, can we?

#5356 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,729 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 22:47

I tried to post yesterday and there was site issues.
Actually I have had site issues for some time sporadically so I guess they are trying to fix it.
I hope we do not lose the earlier stuff.

#5357 GuyMiller

GuyMiller

• 11 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 00:26

I have received a second opinion ....from Geoff Dodge who says it is the old start line for the Domain Hillclimb.
The paling fence surrounded a Police residence near Govt House from his memory.
The event may have been another Domain event post Feb that Gorringe entered to be just after Youl bought it in April hence the Youl number.
I dont have the dates for the Domain Hillclimbs.

Edit...
and now a 3rd opinion with pics from an 8 year later period..1966....
I have pics...not mine ..of the start line at Penguin Hillclimb taken looking up hill from the startline with the Elliot Mustang and Anglia and a similar paling fence in the correct position. The bank has been freshly excavated for roadworks but its fairly good evidence.
See what else transpires.
Youl pic...I have asked Smed but he doesnt recall the fence. He said its probably an LCCT event as he recognises the timing start equipment.
He does recall the car and year as he did some work on car for John Youl soon after its purchase from Gorringe and while it was still Yellow..

Hi Ellis

I note with interest the date suggested for the Penguin hill climb after the Longford races as 7th March 1959. I have in my possesion a trophy from the Trevallyn Hill climb dated 8th March 1959. Is it possible they ran the hill climb series in Tasmania over consecutive days at different locations. The trophy was won by Austin Miller who won outright as well as his class.

Regards

Guy

#5358 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,837 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:24

HiRich...

Check out this post and you'll learn more about Geoff Smedley... it's actually a post from this thread exactly a year ago.

#5359 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 810 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:45

Spoke to Pat Smith this morning re her photographs - she said she tried to write the captions on when she got the processed films back and Bob Wright did check through them a couple of years back too verify as well. Penguin Hillclimb was the main hillclimb venue she and Jim attended (Jim was very active in the NWCC). She went to the Domain once (I posted shots of Max Stephens, Cooper T39 and Geoff McHugh, Allard a while back - on about page 106 or 7 from memory so god knows where they are now) and to Muddy Creek once. The Wylie Javelin, Jowett and Jock Walkem Cooper F3 shots are all Penguin 1958. This Eddie Wilson pic of Robin Pare in the Elliot Mustang clearly shows the high paling fence (angling up the hill) in the background. Posted Image

Advertisement

#5360 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,886 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:03

Spoke to Pat Smith this morning re her photographs - she said she tried to write the captions on when she got the processed films back and Bob Wright did check through them a couple of years back too verify as well. Penguin Hillclimb was the main hillclimb venue she and Jim attended (Jim was very active in the NWCC). She went to the Domain once (I posted shots of Max Stephens, Cooper T39 and Geoff McHugh, Allard a while back - on about page 106 or 7 from memory so god knows where they are now) and to Muddy Creek once. The Wylie Javelin, Jowett and Jock Walkem Cooper F3 shots are all Penguin 1958. This Eddie Wilson pic of Robin Pare in the Elliot Mustang clearly shows the high paling fence (angling up the hill) in the background.

Fabulous colour shot....please say thanks to Pat :wave:

(maybe these shots and discussion could be moved to the other Penguin area? http://forums.autosp...amp;hl=penguin)

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 07 June 2011 - 09:05.

#5361 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 810 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:20

Few shots from Symmons 1969, 70 Gold Star and ATCC 1969. You've got to feel for Alan Hamilton - the shot of him chasing Beechey at the chequered flag is the margin he lost the championship by to Geoghegan that year. The rear shot of Moffat's smoking Mustang is in the early laps and is yet another retirement about to happen. Shame, we were all very excited to see the Coke Mustang for its first Tassy appearance. Bi-winged car is Kevin Bartlett in the Mildren Alfa, 1969 winning the Gold Star round, Henk Woelders Elfin 600 also in shot.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5362 GuyMiller

GuyMiller

• 11 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:56

Not too sure where these came from but here they are
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5363 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,837 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:04

Originally posted by GuyMiller
Posted Image

I haven't seen much of the Tassie hillclimbs, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was Poatina...

Posted Image

Longford when the pits were on the outside of the circuit?

#5364 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,217 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:34

Love that photo at Longford it is so like it was in the day a Classic. Thanks Ray.

Ps I had a GREAT weekend in Albany at the Classic such wonderful racing and the hillclimb was good also.

#5365 cooper997

cooper997

• 795 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:59

Guy,

Brilliant stuff.

The Longford shot is from the March 4th & 6th, 1961 meeting - #6 Bib Stillwell Aston Martin, #29 Bob Jane Maserati 300S , with your dad's Cooper.

Love the Bakers Beach shot.

Stephen

#5366 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 810 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:09

Yes, terrific stuff Guy. Where is the hillclimb shot?

#5367 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,574 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:11

Posted Image
Posted Image

G'day Guy

These two are by Ron Lambert.

Cheers

James

#5368 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,837 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:16

Originally posted by eldougo
Love that photo at Longford, it is so like it was in the day, a Classic. Thanks Ray.

PS. I had a GREAT weekend in Albany at the Classic such wonderful racing and the hillclimb was good also.

Good to hear you had a good time there, Eldouglas...

But don't blame me for the Longford pic, all I did was separate that one (now we're told it's Ron Lambert's...) from the others.

#5369 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,574 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:07

A couple more of Ron's Longford shots.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5370 BMH Comic

BMH Comic

• 173 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:10

Love that photo at Longford it is so like it was in the day a Classic. Thanks Ray.

Ps I had a GREAT weekend in Albany at the Classic such wonderful racing and the hillclimb was good also.

We here in the West were very appreciative of your efforts to get to Albany, hope you enjoyed the show, how about telling all here what its like, it may catch on and we just might see a few more from far away places pop there heads in and see what we talk about when we say around the houses events.

Was good to put a face to the name too!!

#5371 cooper997

cooper997

• 795 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:46

James,

Great to see a few more of your dad's Longford photos.

I wonder whether BJ was blaming his Dunlops for the oversteering. John Youl doesn't appear bothered by it.

Stephen

#5372 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,217 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 13:47

We here in the West were very appreciative of your efforts to get to Albany, hope you enjoyed the show, how about telling all here what its like, it may catch on and we just might see a few more from far away places pop there heads in and see what we talk about when we say around the houses events.

Was good to put a face to the name too!!

THANKS for the very special weekend that you TOM and KEN your friends and the VSCC put together the Albany Classic is a wonderful event held over 3 days starting with a Hillclimb at Mt Clarence which ran all day most drivers getting 6 to 8 run up the 35sec plus climb with very wide type of cars just great to see and then backup again on the holiday Monday of this long weekend in WA.
Then at 4pm Saturday the drivers and helpers got stuck into building the track in the down town shopping area of this very historic town they worked until midnight bolting the barriers and armrco rail together so the SHOW could start at 10am the next day just amazing job.

They ran 23 events for sports cars and touring cars and open wheelers both young and old ages in all classes and 20 to 30 cars in each race ,they really got stuck into this very tight track in some places and the time were just about the 60 sec per lap for most cars . Aberdeen St was the place to watch the up hill and flatout ,they removed round abouts etc just for the day and it was sooooo good to watch.I saw one hit the wall and that was the only downer all day.

The pit area is open to the public and driver lover every minute of the day ,they had Music and street stall selling food and drinks and some shops opened all day the Albany pub and Club did really good business that day .

I know it a long way over to here however it would be really good to see some eastern state drivers make the trip its only 4000k/lm on great roads all the way .BruceJones was here and he had competed at Winton historic meeting in Victoria the weekend before in his lovely looking and fast Ford Zephyr special and he comes form WA. well done Bruce and his helper.
You could do your self a great time and come and try the" Round the Houses" racing at the place it all began Thanks ALBANY.

#5373 Geoff Smedley

Geoff Smedley

• 93 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 13:48

I haven't seen much of the Tassie hillclimbs, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was Poatina...

Not Poatina Raymond.... Trevallyn ! Aussie in the Miller/Cooper Special.

Longford when the pits were on the outside of the circuit?

#5374 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,837 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 13:53

Much closer to home for you than eldougo is at the moment...

Nice of you to join in, Geoff. I was going to e.mail you to let you know this was happening, but didn't get around to it.

And I'll bet that nice Ron Lambert pic of the Aussie Miller car with its roof on brings back memories!

#5375 HiRich

HiRich

• 386 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 13:56

HiRich...

Check out this post and you'll learn more about Geoff Smedley... it's actually a post from this thread exactly a year ago.

Thanks Ray (and apologies Geoff, I see)

#5376 Geoff Smedley

Geoff Smedley

• 93 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 13:58

G'day Guy

These two are by Ron Lambert.

Cheers

James

Now I'm awake, What great shots!! I have never seen either of these pic's before, what box were they hidden in ? More please......Smed.

#5377 Geoff Smedley

Geoff Smedley

• 93 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 14:28

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Austin was forced to run the ratio box used fo the Land Speed record run and I was unable to help him out as I had just been commissioned by John Youl so Aussie was trying to make do with basically only 2 very tall gears and the flying mile put the '"kybosh" special go-fast ratio gears I had especially made for th record

#5378 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 577 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 21:03

Great to see the pictures from Longford, this opens a question.

How did 2 Aston Martin F1 cars happen to show up in Australia, there must be a good story behind the purchase of these cars & what happened to these wonderfull old style cars, where are they now.

BJ Masser what a magic looking car where is it now located, so sad that we don't see them in Oz any more.

#5379 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 21:48

How did 2 Aston Martin F1 cars happen to show up in Australia, there must be a good story behind the purchase of these cars & what happened to these wonderfull old style cars, where are they now.

There were actually three, Lex Davison having one as a spare. The press at the time said he imported his first one because of his antipathy to the new-wave rear-engined "anti-climaxes" that were starting to dominate Australian motor racing. His Aston beat all the Cooper-Climaxes in the 1960 AGP but was pipped by Alec Mildren's 2.5 Cooper-Maserati.

I never quite understood why Stillwell, the leading Cooper-Climax exponent of the day, followed suit. He used the Aston in the NZ GP two years, when he would have been far more competitive in any of his stable of Coopers

All three cars have long since been returned to the northern hemisphere.

BJ Masser what a magic looking car where is it now located, so sad that we don't see them in Oz any more.

Both the Whiteford and Smith/Jane 300S Maseratis are also in the northern hemisphere. Reg Hunt imported a third in the historic era but that didn't stay in Australia long

Edited by David McKinney, 07 June 2011 - 21:49.

Advertisement

#5380 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 577 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 23:49

[quote name='David McKinney' date='Jun 8 2011, 08:48' post='5082653']
There were actually three, Lex Davison having one as a spare. The press at the time said he imported his first one because of his antipathy to the new-wave rear-engined "anti-climaxes" that were starting to dominate Australian motor racing. His Aston beat all the Cooper-Climaxes in the 1960 AGP but was pipped by Alec Mildren's 2.5 Cooper-Maserati.

I never quite understood why Stillwell, the leading Cooper-Climax exponent of the day, followed suit. He used the Aston in the NZ GP two years, when he would have been far more competitive in any of his stable of Coopers

All three cars have long since been returned to the northern hemisphere.

Thanks for the info David, would that mean that all F1 Astons were in Oz after Astons withdrawl from F1, but I still wonder how their purchase came about it just seems strange so out of character for Australia at the time.

It is well known that Lex hated rear engine cars but even in the UK the Astons were outclassed by the rear engine cars, so I am still bewilded as to why leading Oz drivers would purchase them, unless there was a super deal arranged, any comments.

#5381 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:06

It is well known that Lex hated rear engine cars but even in the UK the Astons were outclassed by the rear engine cars, so I am still bewilded as to why leading Oz drivers would purchase them, unless there was a super deal arranged, any comments.

The 2.5 Aston Martins were outclassed by the 2.5 Coopers, but what if you fitted your Aston with a 3-litre engine? Which is what both Davison and Stillwell did. It didn't make the difference, but Davison at least though he was onto a good thing.

#5382 cooper997

cooper997

• 795 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:58

Great to see the pictures from Longford, this opens a question.

DanTra,

It is a good story, involving John Wyer visiting Australia, a JW party with Lex & Co, Lex buying a DB4. Various communication back and forth from Australia & England, trying to put together a deal with John to hire the GP car for the 1960 Australian GP - then return it. This didn't suit JW, ultimately though he sold Lex 2 cars for the original price quoted for one. Running an Aston at Le Mans (with Bib), etc.

Best to procure Graham Howard's great work on Lex. 'Lex Davison - larger than life' to read the whole tale (not just the Aston bit).

Stephen

#5383 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,686 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:46

Posted Image

Great photos again! Love the "Airfix" Control Tower in the background!

:wave:

#5384 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,837 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:31

Originally posted by ellrosso
Few shots from Symmons 1969, 70 Gold Star and ATCC 1969... Bi-winged car is Kevin Bartlett in the Mildren Alfa winning the Gold Star round, Henk Woelders Elfin 600 also in shot.

Posted Image

Were you to ask me, and I know you didn't, I'd say this is the best of those shots...

But the unusual angle of a few of them make a nice change.

Edited by Ray Bell, 08 June 2011 - 11:31.

#5385 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:12

Spoke to Pat Smith this morning re her photographs - she said she tried to write the captions on when she got the processed films back and Bob Wright did check through them a couple of years back too verify as well. Penguin Hillclimb was the main hillclimb venue she and Jim attended (Jim was very active in the NWCC). She went to the Domain once (I posted shots of Max Stephens, Cooper T39 and Geoff McHugh, Allard a while back - on about page 106 or 7 from memory so god knows where they are now) and to Muddy Creek once. The Wylie Javelin, Jowett and Jock Walkem Cooper F3 shots are all Penguin 1958. This Eddie Wilson pic of Robin Pare in the Elliot Mustang clearly shows the high paling fence (angling up the hill) in the background. Posted Image

Just goes to show that none of us can afford to be too smug about our memory! I had what I thought was a good mental picture of the Penguin start line area, but I now realise that what I was seeing was the area back behind the line, where the cars were staged before their runs (and no fence!). Just reinforces the need for all writers of history to use more than one source , especially when it comes down to an old bloke's memory.
By the way I wonder if the Jowett Javelin could be Jim Smith's? He certainly had one and kept all his cars immaculate. Lindsay, there are photos of it in the lot of photos recently returned.

#5386 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 577 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 22:00

Many thanks to David & Stephen for you info on the DB4 Aston Martins F1 cars.

http://en.wikipedia....ton_Martin_DBR4

It has a good coverage on the DB4 but also leads to other questions that seem to be lost in time.

"A potential open-wheeled Aston Martin racing car had been discussed as early as 1955, and a hastily-constructed prototype was tested in the Australian and New Zealand races in early 1956, driven by Reg Parnell."

Is there any information on the car that Reg Parnell drove here in Australia /NZ & how did it perform.

There were 4 DB4 built, 3 came to Australia while the forth one was converted to the last of Astons F1 cars the DB5 of which 2 were built then later scrapped.

It is ironic that all DB4 that came to Australia still remain in the UK, the only legasy of Aston Martin entry into F1.

#5387 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,729 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 22:18

Were you to ask me, and I know you didn't, I'd say this is the best of those shots...

But the unusual angle of a few of them make a nice change.

From that angle a very unattractive car, but an interesting photo.

#5388 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,051 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 23:22

Just goes to show that none of us can afford to be too smug about our memory!

I'm finding that every time i visit this Forum,the picture/info i have in my mind on the various cars & drivers is sometimes totally wrong.

#5389 Cam Arnott

Cam Arnott

• 23 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:51

Thanks for the Hamilton Beechey photo Elrosso - fantastic!

#5390 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:51

"A potential open-wheeled Aston Martin racing car had been discussed as early as 1955, and a hastily-constructed prototype was tested in the Australian and New Zealand races in early 1956, driven by Reg Parnell."

Is there any information on the car that Reg Parnell drove here in Australia /NZ & how did it perform.

Well, first of all, he didn't race it in Australia, and there was no intention to do so

Basically, the car was a disappointment.

The supercharged 3-litre DB3S engine intended for it blew in testing at Silverstone, and a 2.5 version was substituted for the trip. In this form it was fastest in early practice for the NZ GP at Ardmore, ahead of the u/s 3-litre Ferraris of Whitehead and Gaze, but this engine, too, blew, and the car was a non-starter

Using a standard DB3S engine borrowed from the Kangaroo Stable it qualified fourth at Wigram, and finished in that position behind Whitehead, Gaze and the Jaguar-engined Connaught of Leslie Marr

I have a feeling the s/c 2.5 engine might have been repaired in time for the Dunedin race, but would need to check. Either way, after qualifying a lowly eighth on the tight street circuit, Parnell finished second to Gaze

On the fast Ryal Bush road circuit he was third behind Whitehead and Gaze, two laps down

#5391 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 577 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:04

Well, first of all, he didn't race it in Australia, and there was no intention to do so

Basically, the car was a disappointment.

The supercharged 3-litre DB3S engine intended for it blew in testing at Silverstone, and a 2.5 version was substituted for the trip. In this form it was fastest in early practice for the NZ GP at Ardmore, ahead of the u/s 3-litre Ferraris of Whitehead and Gaze, but this engine, too, blew, and the car was a non-starter

Using a standard DB3S engine borrowed from the Kangaroo Stable it qualified fourth at Wigram, and finished in that position behind Whitehead, Gaze and the Jaguar-engined Connaught of Leslie Marr

I have a feeling the s/c 2.5 engine might have been repaired in time for the Dunedin race, but would need to check. Either way, after qualifying a lowly eighth on the tight street circuit, Parnell finished second to Gaze

On the fast Ryal Bush road circuit he was third behind Whitehead and Gaze, two laps down

Well!!!! David you have done it again, many thanks :up: do you know if any photos survive of this car ?

#5392 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:49

They do, Dan, but for copyright reasons I can't post them

PM me your email address and I'll send you one

#5393 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 810 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:16

Rob, yes that is Jim Smith's Jowett. I think there is a very youthful Bob Wright in the background of that one too. Interesting that now I am actually working on the slides and blowing them up, you can see a whole lot more detail in the background. I don't think I had the whole image on the med res shots Bob sent me originally either (scanned by his brother on a flat bed I'd say).

#5394 Dutchy

Dutchy

• 648 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:20

Small point but for the sake of accuracy the GP Astons were DBR4s and DBR5s. DB4s and 5s were production cars.

#5395 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:29

Road racing did not come to Tasmania until the late 1940s; until then the only racing was on beaches. Beach racing did not finish in Tas until the late 1950s for cars and the early 60s for bikes. One of the lesser known venues was Brickmaker's Beach, between Stanley and Detention on the far northwest coast, where the Northwest Car Club and North Western Motorcycle Club staged events. Brickmakers was destroyed in about 1964-65 when the iron ore pellet loading facility for Savage River Mines cut the beach in half. These two photos are from Brickmakers, probably not at the same meeting, showing Jock Walkem's Walkem Vincent (photo by Jim Saward) in about 1957 (the car was re-engined from Norton to Vincent in 1956) and Mick Watt's Holden special (photo by Jim Smith) in (possibly) 1955 judging by the number plate (the 1955 tag has not yet been fitted), though I was under the impression it was 1956 when he bought it. Mick bought it from Owen Bailey, who I think bought it from its builder Harry Firth. It used a Connaught-style body on MG Y type chassis. Mick raced it until selling in 1961. It is now with Ian Tate.
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Posted Image

#5396 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,837 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 13:21

Only in Tasmania would you find a place named 'Detention'!

Great pics, and is that Geoff Smedley again looking over Walkem's car next to the young bloke with the lean? It probably isn't, but could be.

#5397 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,159 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 22:09

Road racing did not come to Tasmania until the late 1940s; until then the only racing was on beaches. Beach racing did not finish in Tas until the late 1950s for cars and the early 60s for bikes. One of the lesser known venues was Brickmaker's Beach, between Stanley and Detention on the far northwest coast, where the Northwest Car Club and North Western Motorcycle Club staged events. Brickmakers was destroyed in about 1964-65 when the iron ore pellet loading facility for Savage River Mines cut the beach in half. These two photos are from Brickmakers, probably not at the same meeting, showing Jock Walkem's Walkem Vincent (photo by Jim Saward) in about 1957 (the car was re-engined from Norton to Vincent in 1956) and Mick Watt's Holden special (photo by Jim Smith) in (possibly) 1955 judging by the number plate (the 1955 tag has not yet been fitted), though I was under the impression it was 1956 when he bought it. Mick bought it from Owen Bailey, who I think bought it from its builder Harry Firth. It used a Connaught-style body on MG Y type chassis. Mick raced it until selling in 1961. It is now with Ian Tate.
Posted Image

Posted Image

its a small world,my father had a business in Hawthorn Melb.Behind in Queens pde was Firths shop for many years,the MG Holden was owned by Owen,and raced by him including the '53 AGP,I have a fab photo of my mother sitting on the car with Les Agnew next to her at that meet.
Ian Tate as we all know learn't his trade from Firth,including travelling to the '56 AGP to help out with Owens lago.years latter he bought the MG Holden.Ian did motors for me for my Elfin Mono and my 1st NC Mustang,as i said a small world.

#5398 john medley

john medley

• 1,163 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:19

And the Walkem Vincent is currently for sale, I believe

#5399 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 810 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:30

Great atmosphere shots Rob. The Mick Watt car certainly clocked up some race miles in its career didn't it! David Keep had a lot of shots from the beach races and Valleyfield, Quorn Hall etc - all lost in the '67 bushfires unfortunately...... real shame.

Advertisement

#5400 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,159 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:51

Great atmosphere shots Rob. The Mick Watt car certainly clocked up some race miles in its career didn't it! David Keep had a lot of shots from the beach races and Valleyfield, Quorn Hall etc - all lost in the '67 bushfires unfortunately...... real shame.

I've got a photo of the MG Holden at a property my grandmother had at Nossa QLD in about 1953,so yes it then ends up in Tassie and back home in Melbourne,from memory Ian had it stored Queens pde the old HRT workshop and his shop for many years.