Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8714 replies to this topic

#5651 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 809 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:26

I know David Keep, being a marshall as well as an accredited photographer was able to go in areas where the others could not, so maybe there were some restrictions after the Tresise accident.

Advertisement

#5652 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:24

That surprises me...

I personally knew three photographers in that area in the first two laps of that race, Peter Hopwood with his movie camera and Robin D'Abrera and Ray Simpson were standing together when the Cooper came at them.

The inquest report on D'Abrera (I have a copy in my files) specifically mentions that he (maybe others too but not recorded) had been removed from this area earlier but had returned. I am aware that Hopwood and Simpson were nearby - I read something by Ray Simpson on this, possibly in one of those little booklists he issued some years ago when he was selling his collection of stuff, which I think included some Longford items from this period.

I believe the area in question was between the two fences (the outer fence on the road edge and the inner fence which was the spectator barrier (both were wire picket fences). What made this particular section different to others, where photographers were allowed, I don't know.

It is a fact that the LMRA became difficult to deal with regarding photographers accreditation and location control in 1966 and it was the beginning of a souring of relations between the press and Longford organisers. Bill Tuckey was vocal on the subject in several magazine articles (including as his alter ego Romsey Quints), as was RCN reporter Neville Fisher (a local with North West Car Club background) in I think 1967 but I dont have it to hand to check.

Longford was the pinup race meeting from 1959-65 in terms of enthusiastic support from visitors (drivers and spectators), often inciting gushing praise in the early part of this period, but by 1966 all that was a distant memory.

Some of the background reasons why this toughened attitude occurred, and who the drivers of it were are known to me and will eventually be recorded in print, but there is more work to do yet.

Rob Saward

#5653 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:32

I do remember, Rob, that on my trip there in '65 we had discussions about the officiousness of some of the people around the circuit...

Bob Levett referred to 'little Hitlers' in speaking about some of his experiences, and all of this was before the D'Abrera incident. We were mere spectators, of course, paying our way and using the facility as another 30,000+ did each of those weekends.

The thought was that this was a once-a-year opportunity for very ordinary local people to get out there and show their authority over others. I hadn't thought about this in many years, but it came back to me on reading your post.

#5654 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,811 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:01

Just noticed the Pedro Rodriguez thread. 40 years since he died.
Here are two photos from 1968 - any other pics around?

Posted Image

Love Pedros Kays HR and Chris's Datto? Volvo? No advertising on the cars huh....but everywhere else! :)

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 17 July 2011 - 05:03.

#5655 launchpad

launchpad

• 95 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:36

Love Pedros Kays HR and Chris's Datto? Volvo? No advertising on the cars huh....but everywhere else! :)

Chris Amon had a Volvo from SVM.

I don't think too many people saw the advertising which offended so many officials in 1968, although the cover up probably created more publicity than it deserved. These pics are from the Surfers Paradise round.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Frank Matich' SR3 was involved too- I think Frank's sin was showing "Frank Matich Pty Ltd".
Perhaps someone can confirm or correct?

Posted Image

#5656 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:49

Pedro at Sandown

Posted Image

At the same meeting Richard Attwood.

Posted Image

Slightly different..... Terry Allan Camaro at Calder

Posted Image

In relation to the Terry Allan Camaro..... there is footage of it in this clip..... not to mention a few other well known names.

http://aso.gov.au/ti...e-models/clip1/

Edited by Leo D, 17 July 2011 - 08:02.

#5657 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:49

Chris Amon had a Volvo from SVM.

Sorry guys but I think you'll find that Amon's car is a Fiat 1800/2100/2300.

#5658 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 809 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:20

Great shots LeoD - good as the day they were shot. Looks like a Fiat 2300 Seldo - hubcaps are a dead giveaway.

#5659 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:39

Amateur artist---interested in photos of Appendix K cars from 50's and 60's.Has anyone any photos of that era they can post.
many thank's Dennis

Advertisement

#5660 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:41

Welcome to TNF Dennis !

#5661 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,706 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:36

Hi Dennis,

Have a couple of Jack Bono's 356 Porsche, at W.Farm. As I have not yet mastered the art of 'Photo Posting', perhaps I could email them to you - or Lisa. maybe?

Cheers, Greg

#5662 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:45

Welcome to TNF Dennis !

New to all this "stuff",so a fair chance I will mess it up .The photos would be great Greg, no rush. Hi Dick.----great forum!

#5663 gouldo

gouldo

• 103 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:58

New to all this "stuff",so a fair chance I will mess it up .The photos would be great Greg, no rush. Hi Dick.----great forum!

Welcome Den. Long time no see.

#5664 dat2kman

dat2kman

• 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:40

Met up with a Kay Scott ( nee Cardin) a few weeks back on a cruise boat through the mediteranean, she overheard me mentioning old race cars and historic racing and introduced herself, she was a one time girlfriend of Colin Bond, and tells me she drove the Lynx Peugot that Colin had, around Oran Park. ( late 1960's?)
I have her contact details, she would be keen to slowly get re involved in the historic side of things, and has a desire to buy a little car and have a go, she is based in Woolgoolga Nthn NSW, not too far from Mr Willis i believe!

She would be pleased to hear from others in the area, and she already has her 1976 Fairlane V8 tow car, she does have a few old photos that would need scanning and posting.

from the fella with the red Datsun Sports 2000 !

#5665 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:51

I have a list of cars for sale which I usually include in my newsletter to JKL (pre 1961 competitors) so if you could get her ( or yourself, Jason ) to send me a pm I may be able to find something for her.

#5666 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:28

That green rear engined one you have might do her, Dick...

Just a little car for a girl to handle.

#5667 petersracing

petersracing

• 29 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:01

Or maybe even a P3f someone disenchanted with FFord modified...

The only Corolla-powered Bowin I can think of is the wallpaper one, the Jardine car, and I'm pretty sure they ran in FFord first. But I have been wrong before.

Ray, one other Bowin with Corolla was the ex Glyn Scott P3 that had a motor improvements engine in it when I purchased it in 81.
Posted Image
Posted Image

From the log book it would have been owned by John Crouchley, Burwood auto electrics and D. Manfield. I haven't succeeded in finding which races it did in the 70s in that form.

#5668 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:23

I see the Bowin wheels gave way to what look like Rod Dale wheels...

That's really slipping! But it's nice to hear your latest news on the car.

John Crouchley and Brian (Bryan?) Morrow at Burwood Auto Electrics were very keen in the F3 and later F2 racing, but I think largely underfunded.

#5669 petersracing

petersracing

• 29 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:20

I see the Bowin wheels gave way to what look like Rod Dale wheels...

I tracked down the guy with the original wheels and he wanted to swap for the composites :) Deal done.

#5670 john medley

john medley

• 1,157 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:02

Burwood Auto Electric's Bryan Morrow... we should know more of him here... from BAE Triumph(shake your teeth out... I recall talking to an almost toothless yet quite youthful Phil LaRue about this at Hume Weir one year) to those good F3 things. J Crouchley, well known ex Wyndham meat works butcher( fed Louise and the children with newly slaughtered lamb on the way home from Adelaide one year because the passengers were complaining of hunger, they were penniless , and he heard a distant b-a-a-a )to cycling coach of Australia. Sponsored of course by the great and very intelligent Peter Hitchin of Es-Car-Go

#5671 johnno1943

johnno1943

• 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 23:21

Love the Forum. Found it by accident a few months ago. I have been a Jowett fan since my youth and was a keen follower of the Wylie Javelin. I was recently looking at an old Sports Car World (October 1963) and found an article on an open wheeler Javelin Special called the SPAD built by Neville Hooke of Gladesville. It looked a well built car but I have been unable to trace any racing history. Can anyone shed any light on any history and the fate of the car? Does it still exist?

#5672 ed holly

ed holly

• 191 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 23:41

Here is the start of the Rod Stevens' photos, so kindly given to us by the Stevens' family.

There are a lot of them so am scanning them 4 at a time. If anyone has a particular interest in any of them as time goes on, drop me a PM and I will rescan and put on in higher res.

If you have a particular attachment to the car drop me a PM and I will send the photo to you in higher res as a .jpg

These are from the wet WF Tasman meeting Feb 69

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5673 Dewie

Dewie

• 47 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:35

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm sure this photo has not seen before. The Alan Dewhurst and Allan Lowe built Nalla Holden on it's first test day at Calder Park, being towed back after the blower blow off valve failed

Cheers

Edited by Dewie, 29 July 2011 - 09:44.

#5674 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 14:24

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm sure this photo has not seen before. The Alan Dewhurst and Allan Lowe built Nalla Holden on it's first test day at Calder Park, being towed back after the blower blow off valve failed

Cheers

Fantastic photo! Almost spoiled by the descriptive caption, which sort of takes the wind out of one's sails... :cry:

#5675 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,811 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 15:26

Wow! what an evocative image....fortunately, one from the previous lap was also taken....here is the car at speed (before it picked up the tow)....

Posted Image

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 29 July 2011 - 15:27.

#5676 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,642 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 22:30

Fantastic photo! Almost spoiled by the descriptive caption, which sort of takes the wind out of one's sails... :cry:

i just would not want to have an engine blow up or fire. You can see his knees through the firewall.
But an intersting car and with a blown grey motor should be quick too.
I like the exhausts, I am old enough to know what that sort of system would sound like.
Was it dry sumped? other wise a lot of work to make the oiling work.

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 29 July 2011 - 22:32.

#5677 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 21:02

[quote name='Ray Bell' date='Aug 11 2009, 09:59' post='3791558']
McLelland? Or McClelland?

Is that the one? He was from Newcastle, as I recall, later had a Brabham, went into the crowd at Sandown.
[/quote
S.lowly trawling through this forum so there is a good chance this information has already been posted. The guy in the Brabham was Kevin Pinkstone, and yes, he was a Novoastrian.

#5678 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 22:18

It may be Glynn's Lotus 27, Kevin...

It's not a Lotus 20, it clearly has a monocoque chassis and inboard front spring/damper units. I don't remember clearly that the 27 had a pushrod engine, but some competitors were slow in changing over to twin cams.

This would be the 1500cc Ford Glynn placed in Ann Thompsons Lotus 15 (now owned by Barry Bates), when he "twin cam-med" the 27 in `64.

#5679 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:24

Originally posted by DennisTobin
Slowly trawling through this forum so there is a good chance this information has already been posted. The guy in the Brabham was Kevin Pinkstone, and yes, he was a Novoastrian.

Well done, Dennis, you've picked up on my brain fade there!

And thanks for the information about Glynn's 27.

As for the Nalla picture...

At the IRace series there is a bunch of blokes running around in cars very much like this. No supercharger, but 202 Holden engines with fat carbies will probably do anything a supercharged Grey will do, they have old Indy roadster look-alike bodies and very simple frames, live rear axles and straight HQ Holden front ends.

They should be a ton of fun to drive, if a little heavy, cut very simple cars running as offset single-seaters. When I was looking them over a week or so ago I mused and what one might be like with a nice 245 Hemi in there, however.

Advertisement

#5680 john medley

john medley

• 1,157 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 22:14

Ray
Originally built to replace HQs threatened with CAMS disapproval, by Rod Moynihan and Rob Rowe

#5681 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 809 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:34

Bit of Bathurst touring car nostalgia from 1967
Posted Image

Posted Image
Jane, Bartlett, Lawrie Stewart in the Broadspeed S on the front row

Posted Image
One you'll remember Greg.

#5682 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:37

Looked too agricultural for Robbie...

But definitely in the HQ racer class. I'll bet they're finding them a whole lot cheaper to run and a lot faster!

#5683 ed holly

ed holly

• 191 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:18

Some more Rod Stevens photos ... Ed

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5684 ed holly

ed holly

• 191 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:29

..........and some more .........

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Sports Racing car in this collection - is it an Elfin - if so which one and is it still around ?

#5685 john medley

john medley

• 1,157 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:38

R and T Chev

#5686 giffo

giffo

• 267 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:34

Posted Image
Ed whats'the chance of blowing up the image in the top right?
Looks a lot like our mate here in the west going by the name of Rajah in the Julius Marlow March. (3rd from the front)

Giffo

Edited by giffo, 01 August 2011 - 09:35.

#5687 ed holly

ed holly

• 191 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:17

Giffo,

Have uploaded photo at low res then rescanned high res and cropped to get a closer image on here as well.

If you want a copy send me a pm with your email address....say hello to Sonny for me.

John ... thanks ... sounds quite a beast

Ed

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by ed holly, 01 August 2011 - 10:17.

#5688 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:48

Helio Ray, in my photo album from 1960 I have Ron's car listed as a Ford V8, not sure if Ron built this car from scratch or may of purchased it from the Algie brothers who were from the Illawarra area, anyway Ron at the time owned a Wrecking Yard at Figtree called "Thorps Bargain Barn"

Hope that this helps & stimulates comment.

Daniel Tracey

Was it not the Algie brothers who built the twin engined Mini featured in a motoring mag. (Sports Car World?) many years ago, and perhaps raced a early Falcon,fitted with Amal carburetors, in the early Oran Park days. Useless information???

#5689 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:37

For a certainty they raced a white early Falcon with six Amals...

There is a photo in this thread, I feel sure, of it amongst a field of Holdens at a Catalina Park race start.

#5690 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,642 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:19

Bit of Bathurst touring car nostalgia from 1967
Posted Image

Posted Image
Jane, Bartlett, Lawrie Stewart in the Broadspeed S on the front row

Posted Image
One you'll remember Greg.

A Mini Monaco. I thought that was a Touring Car race?

#5691 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 563 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 23:13

Was it not the Algie brothers who built the twin engined Mini featured in a motoring mag. (Sports Car World?) many years ago, and perhaps raced a early Falcon,fitted with Amal carburetors, in the early Oran Park days. Useless information???

Yes Dennis you are correct, I seem to remember that they ran the Mini at the old Fountindale Hill Climb which was in the mountain area behind Kiama, as far as results go I have no idear but do remember that the car was built prior to John Cooper's in England.

The Algie brothers were one of the first to race Mini 850 in Australia until they had a motor ailement at Warick Farm, the rebuild of the motor included patching the Block with Fiberglass where they did not have the piece of the block that the rod had knocked out, the car was then sold.

The Falcon was all Algie work including the modified head & the 6 Amals, at the time they were running the car I was on the Fire Crew at Race Meetings, as I knew them outside of racing they all ways let me know when & where they were racing so that I could arrange to be in the pits during the events.

The main reason for this was that the Falcon had a habit of backfiring during startup & they wanted some one close to put out the fire if it started, there was a romour of the gear box of the Falcon was running Ford (USA) Zypher gears to overcome the bad ratio's of the Falcon Box or a combination of both????

To the best of my memory the Falcon ran at The Farm & Catalina & was more than a match for the midfield Holdens.

The Falcon ended its life as a very quick road car.

#5692 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,706 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 23:38

I saw Algie's Falcon at the 'Farm - it was white, from memory. The intake [with all those Amals], and exhaust systems were very impressive, and would have taken a lot of 'working out'.

In 1960, I tried a couple of Amals on a VW - they worked well, although they would 'flood' at high RPM. A couple of years later, when I saw the 5 [not a typo!] Amals on Kingsley Hibbard's Holden, I asked if he ever had a 'flooding' problem. He did, but cured it by removing the 'tickler' buttons from above the floats. At high revs the buttons would hit the floats - due to the vibration - and 'flood' the carbies! Live and learn.

#5693 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 302 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:59

Posted Image
Ed whats'the chance of blowing up the image in the top right?
Looks a lot like our mate here in the west going by the name of Rajah in the Julius Marlow March. (3rd from the front)

Giffo

Thats a shot of the mid field pack at the 1974 Van Heusen F2 championship race at Oran Park. The cars in order in that photo are :

Chas Talbot - Birrana 274
Terry Quartly or Bob Muir - Rennmax
Sonny Rajah - March 732
Ian Ferguson - Bowin P3
unknown
Chris Farrell - Lola T360
unknown
Graham Crawford - Birrana 273

The Van Heusen races that year were far and away the best open wheeler racing we had in Australia at that time and its been far too long since we had that sort of support for single seaters outside of historic events. The Oran Park round had a particularly strong entry of mostly Brian Hart 416B twin cam powered cars which needed to be split into two groups for practice and qualifying sessions. How long since we have seen that down under!!

Sonny made a big impression on the rest of us when he turned up for the Friday free practice day so late that the sun was well and truly on its way down. Everyone else had long since packed up but Sonny headed out to learn the circuit when it was so dark he could barely have seen the road in front of him. We could hear him running around at a great pace but could not see the car until it ran past the pit counter right in front of us. Sonny is a lovely guy and a great mate but at that time we all thought he was MAD!!!

#5694 giffo

giffo

• 267 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:00

Sonny is a lovely guy and a great mate but at that time we all thought he was MAD!!!

That sentence is still true today!

#5695 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,859 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:28

The Van Heusen races that year were far and away the best open wheeler racing we had in Australia at that time and its been far too long since we had that sort of support for single seaters outside of historic events. The Oran Park round had a particularly strong entry of mostly Brian Hart 416B twin cam powered cars which needed to be split into two groups for practice and qualifying sessions. How long since we have seen that down under!!

I have all the results from 1974 here:
http://www.oldracing...p?CategoryID=A2

I should really write a page about that season. Ed - could I use your picture?

Anyone have any of the entry lists?

#5696 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:58

Posted Image

Try again, Paul...

Max Stewart is in there behind Chas Talbot, it may well be Alf Costanzo in behind Ian Fergusson, while your other 'unknown' will be Tony Maw (unlikely), Dean Hosking, Terry Hook or Kenny Smith.

Muir definitely drove the Rennmax in that race.

#5697 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 302 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:51

Posted Image

Try again, Paul...

Max Stewart is in there behind Chas Talbot, it may well be Alf Costanzo in behind Ian Fergusson, while your other 'unknown' will be Tony Maw (unlikely), Dean Hosking, Terry Hook or Kenny Smith.

Muir definitely drove the Rennmax in that race.

You are right again, Ray! It is Max behind Chas Talbot and Alfie following Ian Fergusson. The partly obscured car behind Chris is either Dean Hosking or Terry Hook both of whose cars were yellow and the relatively narrow rear wheels indicate it is likely to be Dean.

#5698 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 302 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:54

I have all the results from 1974 here:
http://www.oldracing...p?CategoryID=A2

I should really write a page about that season. Ed - could I use your picture?

Anyone have any of the entry lists?

Allen, I have copies of Barry Lake's excellent reports on each of the races which were published in 'Chequered Flag' magazine. There is a lot of detail in them and I could mail you copies if you pm your address to me.

#5699 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,736 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:05

Originally posted by Paul Hamilton
You are right again, Ray! It is Max behind Chas Talbot and Alfie following Ian Fergusson. The partly obscured car behind Chris is either Dean Hosking or Terry Hook both of whose cars were yellow and the relatively narrow rear wheels indicate it is likely to be Dean.

Yes, I would have guessed Dean because it was obviously a more modern car than a Rennmax as run by Terry...

But I had help. The RCN report has a photo taken at the next corner either the same lap or very soon afterwards, and Max is ahead of Chas in that and all the players visible in that one are named.

Alf, by the way, was living up to his scruffy ways in this one...

Advertisement

#5700 ed holly

ed holly

• 191 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 22:19

Paul, if ....

"Thats a shot of the mid field pack at the 1974 Van Heusen F2 championship race at Oran Park. The cars in order in that photo are :"

......... who were the guys up front?

Here's another set of photos. As there is over 500 I quickly flicked through them to see if there were any more - and there are ... so here are another 4 of maybe 20.

Toni Stevens' - Rod's daughter was adamant that these photos not have any copyright from the family and wants them distributed as widely as anyone wants them. So if you do want to use them just PM me and I will attach you to the list to get them emailed at better res than they come up here.

The list now comprises of Giffo, Paul and Allen Brown, if you want to be added let me know by PM. I will also give you Toni's email address so you can thank her.

Ed

Posted Image