Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
9018 replies to this topic

#5701 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 306 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:31

Paul, if ....

"Thats a shot of the mid field pack at the 1974 Van Heusen F2 championship race at Oran Park. The cars in order in that photo are :"

......... who were the guys up front?

Here's another set of photos. As there is over 500 I quickly flicked through them to see if there were any more - and there are ... so here are another 4 of maybe 20.

Posted Image

The new photos are, left to right from the top left :
- Leo Geoghegan, Dean Hosking (lapped) and John Leffler.
- Terry Hook and Ian Fergusson.
- Sonny Rajah, Chas Talbot, Alf Costanzo and Kenny Smith.
- Smith and Costanzo.

Since the first photo was posted I have found a copy of Barry Lake's race report which would indicate that the photo was taken on either lap 1 or 2 when the order up in front of that group would have been :
- John Leffler (Bowin P8)
- Leo Geoghegan (Birrana 274)
- John Walker (Elfin 622)
- Enno Buesselman (Birrana 273)
- Tony Stewart (Brabham BT36)
- Ray Winter (Mildren 'Yellow Submarine')
- Bob Muir (Rennmax)
- Bruce Allison (Birrana 274)
- Paul Hamilton (Elfin 600)

The finishing order after 39 laps was Geoghegan, Walker, Muir, Max Stewart, Leffler, Tony Stewart, Buesselman, Smith, Hook, Costanzo, Hamilton, Rajah, Hosking, Maw and Talbot. DNFs were Crawford, Farrell, Winter, Fergusson and Allison.

I had qualified 10th and Barry's report indicates that I was 'running in a strong 9th until the rear wing collapsed and fell off the car'. I then made a quick pit stop but continued to the end in what Barry describes as 'a grossly oversteering car'. My recollections of that are pretty vague but I do remember having a good run with Bruce Allison until the wing fell off and I vividly recall the high drama about 10 laps from the end when Ian Fergussion went into the wall at Robin Orlando and his car caught fire. He was lucky to escape with only minor burns and the incident made me feel much more comfortable with the recently introduced CAMS requirement for F2 cars to be fitted with on board extinguishing systems. Given the impact of that on budgets which, at our end of the field were pretty tight, that had not been a universally popular move and I think Fergy's Bowin may have slipped past the scrutineers without having the required equipment. Following Ian's impromptu BBQ, however, there were no more objections from me!!! It will be interesting to see if Rod's photos include anything of Ian's crash and fire as the other shots indicate that he may have been in a pretty good vantage point.

Advertisement

#5702 petersracing

petersracing

• 29 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:57

Following Ian's impromptu BBQ, however, there were no more objections from me!!! It will be interesting to see if Rod's photos include anything of Ian's crash and fire as the other shots indicate that he may have been in a pretty good vantage point.

Was this the last race of Ians P3 do you think?

It lists him a P6 in December so I guess that was a new one.

Edited by petersracing, 03 August 2011 - 04:06.

#5703 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:20

The Nota pics are of Barry Pinson in the striped helmet. He still owns the car, which he bought new in 68. The Milus ford was owned by John White in the 70's. Barry, John, & dad used to have great battles in the hillclimb series in the 70's. Mike Sullivan did own the Milus for a few years, and I believe it is now in Qld with Grahan & Helen Hunt, but now very different to original. And the nota with the white ring on the nose is dads.

The next lot of hillclimb pics that I think I can name are the Mini No 6 - Wilf Slater or John Brooks. Brian would know for sure. Leigh Porter in the datsun 2000 no 38, Peter Irwin in the TR Triumph and Mini 92 is Peter Mullin. The rest???

You are half right with the Triumph TR5 , Gouldo. The car is Peter Irwins but the driver is not Peter----perhaps Ken Hannaford. Are you sure thats your old man in the Nota Sportsman? Looks kinda young, never can remember a young looking Patrick!

#5704 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:51

I think I can identify some of these. #46 Nota Major. #11 Bob Caddy Bobin Ford. #38 Nota Din. #47 Citroen Special. Keep em coming lyntonh,they are great.

Dale.

tThe under-coated Abarth is the ex Gay Cessario(?) car purchased by Newcastle`s Tony Cavallaro (?). Unfortunately it was damaged in a major road accident whilst being transported back to the H.unter after purchase. A fabulous car., perhaps in the wrong hands at that time as Tony never enjoyed a harmonious relationship with it . (I was responsible for the unpainted repairs ). The Abarth has been , I believe in Allan Bannisters care for many years . A majic classic !

#5705 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 655 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 21:00

The Nota pics are of Barry Pinson in the striped helmet. He still owns the car, which he bought new in 68. The Milus ford was owned by John White in the 70's. Barry, John, & dad used to have great battles in the hillclimb series in the 70's. Mike Sullivan did own the Milus for a few years, and I believe it is now in Qld with Grahan & Helen Hunt, but now very different to original. And the nota with the white ring on the nose is dads.

The next lot of hillclimb pics that I think I can name are the Mini No 6 - Wilf Slater or John Brooks. Brian would know for sure. Leigh Porter in the datsun 2000 no 38, Peter Irwin in the TR Triumph and Mini 92 is Peter Mullin. The rest???

The Milus Ford was built in Wollongong by John White after the sale of his very fast Austin 7 Special. The car was designed as a Lotus 7 type configeration & originaly was going to contest the 1100cc class using a Fiat 1100 motor / gearbox but during construction the Ford power plant / gearbox become available.

Is there any knowledge of what become of the White Austin 7 special.

#5706 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 306 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 21:14

Was this the last race of Ians P3 do you think?

It lists him a P6 in December so I guess that was a new one.

My recollection is that Fergy's P3 'died' in that Oran Park crash but I don't know what became of the remains. The P6 in which he re-appeared later in the year was the ex Finnie Ford / Bob Skelton car.

Ian did not use the P6 very much and essentially retired when CAMS changed the ANF2 regulations in 1977 to eliminate the twin cam engines. He was sometimes seen with the P6 at country NSW hillclimbs and I recall running against him at Bathurst hill sometime in 1978.

#5707 ed holly

ed holly

• 201 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 21:48

Next 8 of Rod's photos ...

In the b&w photos, one of the cars has a damaged right front wing - next photo its gone, and the car looks ever so light over what appears to be the dogleg, right on top of its suspension.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5708 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 619 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 22:06

In the b&w photos, one of the cars has a damaged right front wing - next photo its gone, and the car looks ever so light over what appears to be the dogleg, right on top of its suspension.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Is that Max Stewart with the front wing failing?

The next two cars are F5000s - one is a McLaren M10, but is the other one a Lola T186?

In the F2 photos, is that Jack Bono in the Colliers Tools Elfin 600?

And you're right - it does seem very light over the dogleg. But it was a fairly steep rise/plateau/fall, so cars did rise up there. Even my pathetically-slow Gemini used to get tippy-toey there.

Bruce Moxon

#5709 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 306 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 22:30

Is that Max Stewart with the front wing failing?

The next two cars are F5000s - one is a McLaren M10, but is the other one a Lola T186?

In the F2 photos, is that Jack Bono in the Colliers Tools Elfin 600?

And you're right - it does seem very light over the dogleg. But it was a fairly steep rise/plateau/fall, so cars did rise up there. Even my pathetically-slow Gemini used to get tippy-toey there.

Bruce Moxon

The black and white photos are from a Gold Star race at an earlier Oran Park meeting and I think it is Max Stewart who has lost his front wing in the Mildren (Rennmax) Waggott.

The cars in the top left colour photo are not F2s and that photo may come from a different event on the Van Heusen day. The first two cars have wings but relatively narrow F3 size wheels and the following cars look like Formula Fords to me.

The other three photos show, in clockwise order :
- Leffler and Walker (from the rear);
- Geoghegan, Leffler, Walker, Buesselman, Tony Stewart and Ray Winter; and
- Walker, Buesselman and Winter.

#5710 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 23:06

Posted Image

Posted Image

The top four photos are from the Oran Park Gold Star meeting in June 1971

There was quite a few posted in August last year on this thread.

http://forums.autosp...a...t&p=4546531

Edited by lyntonh, 03 August 2011 - 23:09.

#5711 petersracing

petersracing

• 29 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 00:15

My recollection is that Fergy's P3 'died' in that Oran Park crash but I don't know what became of the remains. The P6 in which he re-appeared later in the year was the ex Finnie Ford / Bob Skelton car.

Ian did not use the P6 very much and essentially retired when CAMS changed the ANF2 regulations in 1977 to eliminate the twin cam engines. He was sometimes seen with the P6 at country NSW hillclimbs and I recall running against him at Bathurst hill sometime in 1978.

Thanks

Ive updated bowincars.org.

#5712 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 287 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:24

http://forums.autosp...a...t&p=4546531
[/quote]

The top two shots are Max Stewart and, I agree the car is cresting the Dogleg, but that car always ran a very high ride height at the front. My thoughts on the other two would be Colin Hyams in the Lola and KB in the McLaren.

Dale.

#5713 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:58

Cant be certain, but I am of the view that the Ian Fergusson P3 was found by a friend of mine at the local tip, because long ago he showed it to me sitting up in his roof

#5714 petersracing

petersracing

• 29 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:21

Cant be certain, but I am of the view that the Ian Fergusson P3 was found by a friend of mine at the local tip, because long ago he showed it to me sitting up in his roof

Thats possible. I was told by John Joyce and Bryan Miller that it was used after its last racing crash as a prop in a Crawford Production drama that featured a race car accident. I guess after that the production company would have dumped it. Can you PM me the contact details for the possible owner?

#5715 BT 35-8

BT 35-8

• 221 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:56

Re. Ian Ferguson's cars ,
The story starts at Catalina in his Lotus 27 when Ian rolled it off to the left of the start finish line
my wife [ girlfriend then] and I watched from the opposite hill as the marshalls rolled Ian on the ground
to put the flames out .
My understanding is that the usable components , eng. box etc. went into his Bowin P3A [ ch.no. P3A-103-69 ]
and the Lotus 27 was truly junk.
I believe some/all of the remains of the Lotus 27 ended up with a south coast chap named Bernie McFadden and were
turned into the Monarch Ford and I think I saw and advert for what would have been even less , items such as steering
rack etc. a bit later in RCN.
Back to the Bowin , again I witnessed the accident [ as I did Paul's wing falling off , Hi Paul] as I was a scrutineer at Oran
in those days.
There is a RCN piece with photo of the film crew for the '' soap opera'' at Oran Pk. and I though it terrible when I found out
somehow that the car remains had been purchased for filming for a '' crash and burn scene'' in said '' soapy''.
I would presume all usable bits , MK 4 Hewland etc. had been removed .

Since we have all the experts assembled , where the hell is the Gary Alcorn Crossle ???????????????
I am damned if I can get a lead on it despite trying all the usual suspects , no I don't wish to buy it , just find it
and I bet EVERYONE has forgotten the car even existed.

Bryan .

#5716 gouldo

gouldo

• 106 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:18

You are half right with the Triumph TR5 , Gouldo. The car is Peter Irwins but the driver is not Peter----perhaps Ken Hannaford. Are you sure thats your old man in the Nota Sportsman? Looks kinda young, never can remember a young looking Patrick!

I was pretty sure it was Peter's car. I am pretty sure it's dad in the car too. There is a pic of him somewhere. When he was young.

#5717 gouldo

gouldo

• 106 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:24

Paul, I think Ray Butterworth ran the car after Ian sold it. It was bright yellow from memory.

It may have ended up with a P76 V8. A guy called Wayne?? from south western NSW had a Bowin at some stage, but it was damaged in a shed fire some years later. Maybe Brian Lear would remember more of Ian's P6.

#5718 petersracing

petersracing

• 29 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:53

Paul, I think Ray Butterworth ran the car after Ian sold it. It was bright yellow from memory.

It may have ended up with a P76 V8. A guy called Wayne?? from south western NSW had a Bowin at some stage, but it was damaged in a shed fire some years later. Maybe Brian Lear would remember more of Ian's P6.

Ahh So that would be this one (pictured at the Australian Hillclimb Championship at Collingrove)

Posted Image

The pieces are coming together

#5719 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 306 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:40

Yes, Ray Butterworth did buy the ex Skelton P6 from Ian Fergusson. He too hillclimbed the car and ultimately replaced the twin cam with a BDA as shown in the photo of it at Collingrove. I don't know anything of its history after that.

Advertisement

#5720 gouldo

gouldo

• 106 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:46

That's the one. The other guy I was trying to think of was Wayne Wilson. I believe he did run a bowin in the nsw hillclimb series in the mid 80's. Burgundy colour. Pretty quick car & he could steer too. I may have this car confused with the Bowin hay, as that was a v8 rover engined car too. But for some reason I think the hay & the burgundy cars were two separate vehicles.

Edited by gouldo, 04 August 2011 - 10:49.

#5721 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 306 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:48

Yes, Ray Butterworth did buy the ex Skelton P6 from Ian Fergusson. He too hillclimbed the car and ultimately replaced the twin cam with a BDA as shown in the photo of it at Collingrove. I don't know anything of its history after that.

The Collingrove photo has the SCV in the background with Barry Garner, Gary Cossar and (I think) Jack Wortmeyer grouped around it. That has jogged my memory in respect of the post Butterworth history of the Bowin P6 as I am pretty sure that Gary Cossar ended up with it. Gary used it with the BDA a few times when Formula Pacific (otherwise known as Formula Atlantic) was in its infancy in oz but where it went from there I don't know.

#5722 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,478 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 13:06

Originally posted by BT 35-8
Re. Ian Ferguson's cars ,
The story starts at Catalina in his Lotus 27 when Ian rolled it off to the left of the start finish line
my wife [ girlfriend then] and I watched from the opposite hill as the marshalls rolled Ian on the ground
to put the flames out .
My understanding is that the usable components , eng. box etc. went into his Bowin P3A [ ch.no. P3A-103-69 ]
and the Lotus 27 was truly junk.
I believe some/all of the remains of the Lotus 27 ended up with a south coast chap named Bernie McFadden and were
turned into the Monarch Ford and I think I saw and advert for what would have been even less , items such as steering
rack etc. a bit later in RCN.....

I really don't think so...

So many of the Lotus 27 parts simply weren't compatible with the Brabham-style build of the Monarch, and I'd almost suspect that the cars ran concurrently.

Ian's crash at Catalina was about halfway between what was finally known as Pilot Curve and Dunlop Corner, quite a distance along from the start line and out of sight of the pits as well. But clearly visible to most of the crowd at the circuit, of course. Ironically, the IRM finished its days not far from the same spot, in the swamp inside Dunlop when Morrie stood it on its nose.

#5723 gouldo

gouldo

• 106 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 21:15

I really don't think so...

So many of the Lotus 27 parts simply weren't compatible with the Brabham-style build of the Monarch, and I'd almost suspect that the cars ran concurrently.

Ian's crash at Catalina was about halfway between what was finally known as Pilot Curve and Dunlop Corner, quite a distance along from the start line and out of sight of the pits as well. But clearly visible to most of the crowd at the circuit, of course. Ironically, the IRM finished its days not far from the same spot, in the swamp inside Dunlop when Morrie stood it on its nose.

The IRM ended up with Peter stenning from Sydney. Haven't seen that car for 20 odd years.

#5724 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 287 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 21:49

The ex Skelton P6 Bowin went to Peter Turnbull of Turnam cars. He used it as a parts supply for the restoration of his sports car. Brakes, gearbox, wheels etc. The rest was sold off.

Dale.

#5725 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 21:55

The Monarch was a Lynx.
The Bowin I referred to above was Des Kelly's

#5726 petersracing

petersracing

• 29 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 22:16

The ex Skelton P6 Bowin went to Peter Turnbull of Turnam cars. He used it as a parts supply for the restoration of his sports car. Brakes, gearbox, wheels etc. The rest was sold off.

Dale.

He must have been quite a Bowin de-constructor as Bruce Gowans told me he also had the Ft200 from the Scott P3 for a holden engined sports car.

#5727 rms

rms

• 112 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 22:42

Dale.

What a shame! Another of Australia's open wheelers destroyed for the sake of a home built special.

Duane Wilson was the owner after Gary Cosser, Duane and I fitted the 5 ltr P76/Oldsmobile engine.

Erol

#5728 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,848 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 22:42

The Collingrove photo has the SCV in the background with Barry Garner, Gary Cossar and (I think) Jack Wortmeyer grouped around it. That has jogged my memory in respect of the post Butterworth history of the Bowin P6 as I am pretty sure that Gary Cossar ended up with it. Gary used it with the BDA a few times when Formula Pacific (otherwise known as Formula Atlantic) was in its infancy in oz but where it went from there I don't know.

Paul, didn't Barry Garner have a Bowin? Maybe my memory isn't so good, but I seem to recall Ron Hay fitting a big [V8?] motor to it......and the car caught alight while descending the return road at Silverdale. Barry was badly burned, I think. Or am I imagining all this?

#5729 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 306 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 23:12

Paul, didn't Barry Garner have a Bowin? Maybe my memory isn't so good, but I seem to recall Ron Hay fitting a big [V8?] motor to it......and the car caught alight while descending the return road at Silverdale. Barry was badly burned, I think. Or am I imagining all this?

Greg,

Barry had two Bowins at various times. The first was a P3 fitted with a 6 cylinder Holden engine and an FT200. That was a lovely car which always had that typical Garner high presentation standard and was quite successful. It was sold without engine to Barry's brother in law, Ted Dowd, who had plans to equip it with a 4 cyl. Ford Pinto engine but never actually did anything constructive about that. As far as I know Ted may still have it.

Barry's replacement for the P3 was the other Bowin you remember. It was a P6 which started life as a Formula Two car driven by Bruce Allison in 1973 but was sold to Garner when Bruce acquired a new Birrana for the 1974 Van Heusen series. As you say, Barry had Ron Hay fit a Leyland P76 V8 engine to the Bowin and he also shortened the wheelbase for hillclimb use. I don't recall the Silverdale fire incident but the car was quite successful in Barry's hands and I think it is the car with which Neil Farr has achieved continued hillclimb success in more recent years. In Barry's day it was called the Bowin Hay and the standard of its preparation was a credit to Ron Hay.

#5730 petersracing

petersracing

• 29 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 00:31

What a shame! Another of Australia's open wheelers destroyed for the sake of a home built special.

Duane Wilson was the owner after Gary Cosser, Duane and I fitted the 5 ltr P76/Oldsmobile engine.

Erol

Do you recognise these pictures here of it with red bodywork?

Posted Image

I can't make out the name on the side

So there were two p6s with V8s - the Skelton cars ownership ends up like this at minimum

8th sept 1972
B. Skelton

dd mm 1974
Ian Fergusson

dd mm 1981
Ray Butterworth

date?
Gary Cossar(sp?)

date?
Duane Wilson

2006 - 2010
C. Knight?

2010 - Current
T. Edwards

And I am threadjacking someone else's topic, should I go to a new thread?

#5731 Wirra

Wirra

• 918 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:09

...I can't make out the name on the side...

Duane Wison
Posted Image

#5732 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:42

I don't know about 'older', but IIRC, Robin Orlando was an engine reconditioner on Parramatta Road, Taverners Hill. I think he also raced an MGA around the time Oran Park was first opened.

Sorry if some of my comments are "ol hat" as I am still languishing in the middle of this enthralling but dreadfull time wasting pastime.
Comment made by a man of great wisdom, Brian Lawler. "True, the corner was named and sponsered by Robin Orlando, but that was not the mans name ,but it was the name of the engine reconditioning business."
His name was Orlando Hodson, his wife was Robin."
Useless information perhaps, but it is a touch of Oran Parks history----and that is all we have now!

#5733 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,478 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:56

That is something new to me...

And Erol, as long as the P6 can be rebuilt, does it matter if the FT200 goes into rebuilding a Sports Car with a history?

#5734 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:03

A belated welcome, Dennis. I trust you are well(not good. I think we agreed to give up on that a long time ago)

Whoever said " we live life forwards but can only understand it backwards" was right( but I still dont get it). I have learned from your post about Orlando Hodson that when the Robin Orlando that Robert Rowe and I went to see at Petersham so long ago told us that the MGJ2/TC was ( imitating WC Fields) " the greatest little car in the whole wide world... bring on those (then current) Formula 5000s, the greatest little car in the whole wide world will blow them away" it was ORLANDO HODSON who was speaking. Any man with a name like that is ALLOWED to say things like that

Tell me it is not true

#5735 rms

rms

• 112 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:21

That is something new to me...

And Erol, as long as the P6 can be rebuilt, does it matter if the FT200 goes into rebuilding a Sports Car with a history?

Ray, if the car can be rebuilt that would be great. But I took Dale's post to mean a lot more than a gearbox. Where do you get Bowin wheels and uprights these days ?

Erol

#5736 Wirra

Wirra

• 918 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:49

.... Where do you get Bowin wheels and uprights these days ?...

Make your own from these. With appropriate permission of course.
http://www.bowincars...hp/Car_Drawings

Edited by Wirra, 06 August 2011 - 05:26.

#5737 petersracing

petersracing

• 29 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:55

Make your own from these.
http://www.bowincars...hp/Car_Drawings

Bowin still have the patterns and body molds as well if you dont want to do that bit.

#5738 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,069 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:22

Sorry if some of my comments are "ol hat" as I am still languishing in the middle of this enthralling but dreadfull time wasting pastime.
Comment made by a man of great wisdom, Brian Lawler. "True, the corner was named and sponsered by Robin Orlando, but that was not the mans name ,but it was the name of the engine reconditioning business."
His name was Orlando Hodson, his wife was Robin."
Useless information perhaps, but it is a touch of Oran Parks history----and that is all we have now!

I didn't know that,he bored out a few BMC engines for my Brother and myself in the late 1960's and we always called him Robin. In period photos of his MGA Twin Cam such as Silverdale & Bathurst the driver was referred to as Robin Orlando so that must have been a mix up with the entrants name. Also when Ralf Sach from the NSSCC drove his MGA it was referred to as "Robin Orlando's" car so unless he drove under that name instead of Hobson there was a lot of misinformation around.
I always wondered what happened to him as his business suddenly closed in the early 70's,he wouldn't sell his his Twin Cam to my Brother so i wondered where that ended up as the body seemed in good nick when i looked under the tarp around 1970.

#5739 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:43

Did he race as Robin Orlando? That's certainly the name I recall

Or perhaps it was references to Robin Orlando MGs, which I (and others?) misinterpreted

Advertisement

#5740 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:31

Some time back I uploaded a series of photos from the NSW Hillclimb championship at Amaroo Park in 1971.

I mentioned a club hillclimb I'd been to...& thought those shots were from that meeting.

Now, here are a few cars from the other one, the North Shore Sporting Car Club Hillclimb, on 28th November 1971 at Amaroo.

The clubs participating were NSSCC, Renault, ANZ, & Christian Autosports.

Posted Image
David Tamsett MGTD (CACA)

Posted Image
Ted Harmsen Morris Minor 1100 (ANZ)

Posted Image
Neil Edwards Renault Special (RCC)

Posted Image
(probably) Bob Burke Formula Vee (RCC)

Posted Image
tell me what the car is & I'll look up the result sheet

Posted Image
Tony Ansell Lotus (RCC)

Posted Image
Max Daniel Renault (RCC)

Posted Image
Dave Langdon Austin Special (NSSCC)

Posted Image
Lawson Ballantyne Matchless Special (RCC)

Posted Image
Phil Moroney Porsche (NSSCC)

Posted Image
And, most spectacular all day, Graham Jenkins Datsun 1600 (CACA)

Edited by lyntonh, 12 February 2012 - 11:21.

#5741 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,721 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:53

The "forumla vee" has a radiator and a wishbone front suspension, so it isn't a vee.

#5742 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,478 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 14:03

David Tamsett?

Later to pedal a very strange gadget at club meetings. And those Renault Car Club blokes were very strong at the hillclimbs, weren't they?

#5743 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 355 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 22:15

The "forumla vee" has a radiator and a wishbone front suspension, so it isn't a vee.

The rear end looks like the front sub frame out of either a Morris Mini or perhaps a Morris 1100. The engine appears to be east west configuration but looks a bit like a Datsun 1600 - single overhead cam. Perhaps a Morris 1500 OHC?

Further , the front end appears to be the also a Mini front sub frame. Brake hose location suggests disc brakes in place. Wheels look like 10" dia front and probably 12" diameter rear.

Anyone else with any clues?

Edited by fredeuce, 09 August 2011 - 05:22.

#5744 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 23:25

The rear end looks like the front sub frame out of either a Morris Mini or Morris 1100. The engine appears to be east west configuration but looks a bit like a Datsun 1600 - single overhead cam. Perhaps a Morris 1500 OHC?

Anyone else with any clues?

Your choices are.....
Posted Image

Edited by lyntonh, 12 February 2012 - 11:23.

#5745 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,069 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 23:51

Haydn Gooch was President of the ANZ Bank's Car Club and the Datsun 1600 Sports in question was a bit of a beast,he purchased it of a guy who built it up from scatch to race but lost interest(probaly with the release of the 2000 Sports) and sold it to Haydn.It had a modified 1900+cc Cedric motor with Webers(IIRC),fiberglass panels,Nissan truck diff and numerous suspension mods and was more than a match for the 2000 Sports in a Hillclimb. Haydn and his Wife must have had troubles that day as it could easily break 30s up the Amaroo Hill.

Edited by Ian G, 09 August 2011 - 05:58.

#5746 ed holly

ed holly

• 201 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:32

Some more of Rod Stevens photos ...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5747 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:45

Haydn Gooch was President of the ANZ Bank's Car Club and the Datsun 1600 Sports in question was a bit of a beast,he purchased it of a guy who built it up from scatch to race but lost interest(probaly with the release of the 2000 Sports) and sold it to Haydn.It had a modified 1900+cc Cedric motor with Webers(IIRC),fiberglass panels,Nissan truck diff and numerous suspension mods and was more than a match for the 2000 Sports in a Hillclimb. Haydn and his Wife must have had troubles that day as it could easily break 30s up the Amaroo Hill.

Is this the one you mean?
Posted Image

#5748 Eshe

Eshe

• 118 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:50

Some more of Rod Stevens photos ...

Ed,

Thanks for posting more of Rod's images. I have sent you a PM, I am interested in a copy of the images of that Elfin of course!

Geoff

#5749 Wirra

Wirra

• 918 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:29

It seems if I wasn't standing next to Lynton I was probably standing next to Rod

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5750 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,069 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:36

Is this the one you mean?
Posted Image

No,thats Haydn's road car,i didn't know he ever went up the Amaroo Hill in it,that explains the slow time.