Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8601 replies to this topic

#5751 seldo

seldo

• 1,461 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:51

The rear end looks like the front sub frame out of either a Morris Mini or perhaps a Morris 1100. The engine appears to be east west configuration but looks a bit like a Datsun 1600 - single overhead cam. Perhaps a Morris 1500 OHC?

Further , the front end appears to be the also a Mini front sub frame. Brake hose location suggests disc brakes in place. Wheels look like 10" dia front and probably 12" diameter rear.

Anyone else with any clues?

Both front and rear sub-frames look identical to me, with F&R transverse leaf springs, ....and the engine looks to be longitudinal judging by the alignment of the exhaust manifold and it's also water-cooled with the filler-cap/over-flow pipe clearly visible...
What is it...? NFI...

Edited by seldo, 09 August 2011 - 12:53.

Advertisement

#5752 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,422 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 14:03

Top left of the Rod Stevens pics is Gary Campbell, but I can't pick the second car...

I imagine No 7 is Graeme Lawrence, but I could be wrong. I'd like to have that Gold Star race report to work from. The 600 with the Cooper-style stripes along the sides would be Tony Stewart, I'd think. Ian Fergusson stars again (No 15... the Bowin), there's several of KB leading his former team mate and one of Colin Hyams taking to the dirt to get out of their way... or so it appears... while Alan Hamilton is No 2.

Is that Doug Heasman partially obscured in there behind Hamilton in the Esses?

#5753 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,705 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 15:11

Can't see any transverse springs - I'd go with Mini based, rubber suspnsion in the towers. Its a hillclimb special, my guess is the Henrymobile. The pipe visible is the water pipe from rad to a sort of remote header tank stuck on top of it like an after thought. Driver looks pretty nonchalant, admiring the scenery. Liz Lacey?

#5754 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 585 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 21:58

Can't see any transverse springs - I'd go with Mini based, rubber suspnsion in the towers. Its a hillclimb special, my guess is the Henrymobile. The pipe visible is the water pipe from rad to a sort of remote header tank stuck on top of it like an after thought. Driver looks pretty nonchalant, admiring the scenery. Liz Lacey?

Probably a Renault engine and gearbox - out of a 750 or an 8 or 10.

But I'll get my good mate Andrew Collier to poke his nose in and have a look.

Bruce Moxon

#5755 rms

rms

• 106 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 22:25

Lynton,
The unidentified clubman type (less nose piece) is the Hamilton.
Also a pic of my old Austin special - I lost track of it after I sold it to Percy Hunter.

Erol

#5756 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,422 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 22:53

Erol... I still need to talk to you... can you please e.mail me?

As for the Mini-based device, I think that must be the Henrymobile, or it's a late entry not listed. And I think you'll find the driver is looking to the right because the next corner is going that way. There's too much Mini stuff about it for it to not be a Mini engine.

#5757 seldo

seldo

• 1,461 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:12

Can't see any transverse springs - I'd go with Mini based, rubber suspension in the towers. Its a hillclimb special, my guess is the Henrymobile. The pipe visible is the water pipe from rad to a sort of remote header tank stuck on top of it like an after thought. Driver looks pretty nonchalant, admiring the scenery. Liz Lacey?

Have to agree Terry, now that I am more awake... My "transverse leafs" are lower-control arms! :eek: I also now see what appears to be a sohc-drive hump at the end of the transverse rocker-cover. Amazing what a difference sleep and sobriety makes...

#5758 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,705 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:47

Wonder if that's one of the later ohc donks?

#5759 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,408 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:06

Wonder if that's one of the later ohc donks?

You guys seem sure on BMC base so yes possibly a Morris 1500 base. Good power to weight for the era.

Advertisement

#5760 DJH

DJH

• 167 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:20

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Posted Image

Posted Image

I bought a slide scanner today, here's a few test images. Plenty more to come when I find time. That's Leo in the 2 door GT, Ian drove the Lotus Cortina at this meeting.
Norm in the Nova with the front bumper still straight, before he drove over the 203 in the Esses.
Unknown soldier in the Zephyr wagon at 40 Bends.....John.

Edited by DJH, 10 August 2011 - 08:32.

#5761 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,408 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:30

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I bought a slide scanner today, here's a few test images. Plenty more to come when I find time.....John.

Now that bottom one is the true racer. Sunvisor, driving light and hobo bars!!
Though actually the mk2 was not a bad car for its day. I feel we do need more wagons racing. We have utes by the dozen but not many wagons. The Volvo and Wayne Wakefields 808 wagon are the only ones that spring to mind.
Though I have drag raced both EH and HK wagons, at the street drags! high 18s from memory. The EH I bought Sat morning for $50 and raced Sunday.

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 10 August 2011 - 08:33.

#5762 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,705 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:28

A bloke called Vern Elder raced a brown EH station wagon at Caversham. I was there were he was neatly elbowed into the bush by a vigorous competitor (no names, he's bigger than I am) who felt that he owned Shell Corner and wasn't going to let some mere wagon-punter have it. The wagon somersaulted to ruins, and an indignant Vern was very peeved when the other guy got away with it unpenalised. A "racing incident". Those were the days.

Edited by Terry Walker, 11 August 2011 - 02:29.

#5763 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,612 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:09

I'm sure Lou Kingley raced his FE [FC?] wagon a few times. It had a Repco 'Hi-Power' head, and Lou used it as his every-day car, and towed his caravan with it!

#5764 seldo

seldo

• 1,461 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:32

I'm sure Lou Kingley raced his FE [FC?] wagon a few times. It had a Repco 'Hi-Power' head, and Lou used it as his every-day car, and towed his caravan with it!

It was a sedan Greg ;)

#5765 john medley

john medley

• 1,151 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:49

Seconded

#5766 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,612 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:56

Just testing :blush: He did have a wagon, though.

#5767 Repco22

Repco22

• 702 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:32

A bloke called Vern Elder raced a brown EH station wagon at Caversham. I was there were he was neatly elbowed into the bush by a vigorous competitor (no names, he's bigger than I am) who felt that he owned Shell Corner and wasn't going to let some mere wagon-punter have it. The wagon somersaulted to ruins, and an indignant Vern was very peeved when the other guy got away with it unpenalised. A "racing incident". Those were the days.

Terry, I believe Vern is Harley Pederick's brother-in-law. A few years before Vern's brief career, a bloke called Allwood raced a Thames van at Caversham, often on three wheels.

#5768 DJH

DJH

• 167 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 22:25

Posted Image

Studebaker power!

Posted Image

Posted Image

"And make sure you keep that damn thing off my lawns!"

Edited by DJH, 12 August 2011 - 05:33.

#5769 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 521 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:35

My how time has flown, 46 years ago at Amaroo Hill Climb driving 782cc of sheer brutish power in my Mazda 800.
The trick at this hill climb was not to back off for the first corner when you were in a low power car, oh they were the days.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Brand new 50 Miles on the clock at the Farm short circuit, Feb/Mar 1964, by the end of the day I could drive the whole of the circuit without backing off at any corner, not so good for thr Bridgestone Skyway H tyers that were on the car.

Posted Image

#5770 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:44

Actually, that's Bill Brown. Leo drove a Porsche that day, but it was an earlier model and carried No 3.

I thought that would be Neville Carden, but it seems he wasn't there that day. Some names to choose from:

Croudace, Longes, Tidey, Moulston, Adams.

To be honest, I don't remember what Croudace ran at that time, it could be him. Norm Adams was running a Super Seven, wasn't he? So he's a possibility. Gary Moulston's car was more angular, Tidey I don't recall, Longes had the Mawer.

That will be Matt Pintar in the MGB.

One of the Porter brothers is there in the Datsun 2000, the light coloured special on the right intrigues me... KM body?

John Tidey, Newcastle, his first Clubman was a self built Triumph Herald powered device he named, groan! Tidey Clubman, his next car, which he "ran" for a number of years was one the of Jimmy Bayliss built JB Clubmans (1500cc Ford} PS Jimmy has had a few health problems of late---Bloody shame---he is a great guy

#5771 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:44

Actually, that's Bill Brown. Leo drove a Porsche that day, but it was an earlier model and carried No 3.

I thought that would be Neville Carden, but it seems he wasn't there that day. Some names to choose from:

Croudace, Longes, Tidey, Moulston, Adams.

To be honest, I don't remember what Croudace ran at that time, it could be him. Norm Adams was running a Super Seven, wasn't he? So he's a possibility. Gary Moulston's car was more angular, Tidey I don't recall, Longes had the Mawer.

That will be Matt Pintar in the MGB.

One of the Porter brothers is there in the Datsun 2000, the light coloured special on the right intrigues me... KM body?

John Tidey, Newcastle, his first Clubman was a self built Triumph Herald powered device he named, groan! Tidey Clubman, his next car, which he "ran" for a number of years was one the of Jimmy Bayliss built JB Clubmans (1500cc Ford} PS Jimmy has had a few health problems of late---Bloody shame---he is a great guy

#5772 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:02

KM200 as suspected
Posted Image

Sure ther was a guy, last name Valentine had a pretty quick KM200/Ford around this time. Always went good at Amaroo.
I am still running in the middle of the pack (forum),slowly getting towards the pionty end. I do have some good photo`s to post if I can ever find some kid to show me how.Have severed diplomatic relationships with two daughters and son in laws as they have tried and failed. Me, I am glad these computor things are only a passing faize ?, otherwise one would have to find out how the damn things work aye

#5773 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,645 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:25

My how time has flown, 46 years ago at Amaroo Hill Climb driving 782cc of sheer brutish power in my Mazda 800.
The trick at this hill climb was not to back off for the first corner when you were in a low power car, oh they were the days.

Posted Image

I just realised that it is thirty years since I made my competition debut at Amaroo Hill...

Posted Image

Apologies for the quality, it was scanned from the club magazine.

Edited by Catalina Park, 12 August 2011 - 08:28.

#5774 launchpad

launchpad

• 95 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:25

Is that your pic, Ellis?

If so, do you have more? Piers Courage, for instance, in the bi-wing Brabham? Derek Bell in the Ferrari?

Looking at some old posts prompted me to post a couple of shots from practice at the 1969 Warwick Farm Tasman meetiing.
Is this what you were looking for?

Piers Courage at the Causeway........

Posted Image

........and in the pits..........

Posted Image

...and Chris Amon.

Posted Image

I have some of Derek Bell, but need to upload them.

#5775 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,422 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 14:01

That's a very good start...

Is there something strange about the scanning of the pic of Courage in the esses?

#5776 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 19:36

Back to those pics labelled 6 May 1973 Warwick Farm. The programme lists:

51 Peter Lander Welsor Ford
53 Ray Hanger Nota Ford
54 David Seldon Welsor Waggott
18 Alec Brincat KM200 1600 cc

And the alarmingly folded up Clubman from May 1970... wild guess, but the driver looks perhaps like Jim Bayliss. Could it be a JB Clubman?

No, not Jim Bayliss---he never put anything but small dings in his JB`s

#5777 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 803 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:46

Re the Courage shot (and not so obvious on the Amon pic) all the blacks are filled in - all the detail in the shadows is lost. The Histogram needs to be checked before scanning
as the Shadow end is in way too far.

#5778 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,722 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:55

It makes the tyres look very glossy.

#5779 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,537 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:36

I hope Amons face mask was more transparent than it looks!!

Advertisement

#5780 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 20:24

A friend of mine took his Bugatti on a rally in New Zealand, and left it there for a year for a serious refurbishment in the South Island at ***** *****. The Bugatti looked and was a different car. He and I then went to the wharves in Sydney to get it through customs. He was in a stste of stark terror because he was doing something a bit dodgy, I was in my usual state of blissfull unawareness , most of all when he suggested I get it started and drive it out of the big shed while he was telling fibs to the customs man. The car was so changed that I couldnt find the starter button let alone the (new) cutout switch or the battery. In my state of blissfull unawareness I asked him (while he was deep in paper and discussion with the customs man) where these important items were -- but even he couldnt find them, perspiring seriously. We pushed the car out.
We escaped. I think the customs man pretended not to notice.

Sometime tn the early 70`s Jeff Newey and I went to a Customs fire sale (I think there was one of the few MG`s up for graps that Jeff had not owned at one time) and there was a Matich on the sales prochure----never realised Frank had based one of his devices on a chopped and channelled 35 Ford coupe. Looked pretty flash never the less!

#5781 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,422 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 22:24

You're catching up, Dennis, I'm going to have to post some more of the hundreds of Russell pics...

You should be about to see the first of those.

#5782 ken devine

ken devine

• 741 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:46

This photo of the Doug Whiteford Lago Talbot is amongst a set of photos that i have had for sometime of Orange Jan/feb 1955
we thought it was taken there but it wasn,t. Does any body know where it would have been? Possibly Mt Druit.

Posted Image

#5783 ken devine

ken devine

• 741 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:52

Jack Brabham's Cooper Bristol. South Pacific Championship Orange 1955.

Posted Image

#5784 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 21:03

I don't know what the fuss is about...

It was a premise that a sports car had some affinity with road use. As years went by, they became less and less so and eventually the stowing of the spare wheel became a problem. This was only really evident when the rear-engined era came.

So it took a while to eliminate the problem, so what? The Matich SR3 had its spare under the windscreen exactly the same as the Elfin 400, they used a front wheel so it was smaller and easier to fit. Where was the Lotus 23's spare?

As for the example of the car at Bathurst, that was a race for production cars, the rules of the early races included the need to use only tools supplied with the car in the first 100 miles or something. What's wrong with that?

Early Amaroo days Jim Bayliss had his JB Clubman knocked back by the "screw an ears" due to his spare wheel having a different tire brand to the others on the car. Spent the rest of Saturday trawling wrecking yards looking for a Pirelli 175/13 or something, time better spent if Jim was practicing "wheel changes" (THere was a10 lapper--the power of the almost standard Herald would destroy tires, would`nt it?)

#5785 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,422 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 21:11

Originally posted by ken devine
This photo of the Doug Whiteford Lago Talbot is among a set of photos that I have had for some time of Orange Jan/Feb 1955. We thought it was taken there but it wasn't. Does anybody know where it would have been? Possibly Mt Druitt.

Posted Image

More likely Fishermens Bend to my way of thinking...

#5786 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 21:15

The photos of the Jag and Alf's FJ both look to me like the exit from 'Perce's Pinch' at King Edward Park. That part of the hill is still pretty much the same as it was then.

Yep--King Edward!

#5787 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 21:20

Yep--King Edward!

Cancel that statement---the cars parked on the right side of the photos means it is not KP.

#5788 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,612 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 21:44

I STILL say it's 40 bends, Lithgow! :wave:

#5789 DJH

DJH

• 167 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 23:15

There is absolutely no doubt, that photo was taken at 40 Bends Lithgow starting line.
I took this one from almost the same spot early 1964.
Posted Image

Edited by DJH, 16 August 2011 - 23:22.

#5790 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 301 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 23:23

Cancel that statement---the cars parked on the right side of the photos means it is not KP.

I though we had resolved ages ago that my initial comment was wrong and that the photo was from the 40 bends Lithgow climb.

#5791 ken devine

ken devine

• 741 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 00:04

Fishermans bend was mentioned. The background looks rural.

#5792 ed holly

ed holly

• 189 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:47

This is a car that was built in Queensland in the early 1960s and has a Group M logbook. Runs a V8 Customline engine .... was for sale recently .. now sold.

Believe it ran steel wheels back then - not the wheels that are on it in this photo which was atken some years ago in Historics at Eastern Creek.

Does anyone know much about it ?

Posted Image

Edited by ed holly, 17 August 2011 - 04:48.

#5793 johnny yuma

johnny yuma

• 923 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:24

This is a car that was built in Queensland in the early 1960s and has a Group M logbook. Runs a V8 Customline engine .... was for sale recently .. now sold.

Believe it ran steel wheels back then - not the wheels that are on it in this photo which was atken some years ago in Historics at Eastern Creek.

Does anyone know much about it ?

Posted Image

Snout looks like a Eagle.

#5794 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 258 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:30

The Trawler has been discussed before;

http://forums.autosp...mp;hl=chalutier

http://forums.autosp...l=v8 angle iron

#5795 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 20:30

[quote name='Ray Bell' date='Jun 3 2011, 07:24' post='5075969']
Those were interesting times for Sports Sedans...

The class, as is well known, had come out of a desire to keep Appendix J cars on the track without having to emaciate them for the new Improved Touring rules introduced in 1965.

Of course, being touring cars, they complied with all the Sports Car rules and were given races (and classes within Touring Car races) to run 'by invitation'. They were known as Sports Cars (Closed) by Invitation.

There were no rules hampering the Appendix J cars any longer, so early Holdens started to get 179 engines and other modifications were coming on-stream. Peter Brock wasn't the first to see that there was a whole new ball game on offer and some started building cars especially for this sub-class.

Then some regulation was mooted. One of the proposals was that the engine was to be restricted to one made by the same manufacturer as the body. Clearly, the Lawes Mini would have fallen foul of that while the likes of the Bob Jane Torana Repco relied on the Oldsmobile block coming from the world-wide GM empire.
-------------------------------------------------
Different circuits had different ideas, so it's no surprise that some cars found a safe have at one circuit while they were

Has anyone out there have any photos or information on what happened to the other Holden (supercharged) engined Mini built by Novocastrians Dave Sheldon and Guy (Pogo) Thompson perhaps before the Law`s car. Finished , but outed by rule changes, it disappeared. There are few photos of this interesting device.

#5796 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 746 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 13:04

Warwick Farm Tasman series 1970

From beside Shell bridge looking towards Creek.

In the middle of the race, someone went into the fence at the start of the esses.

I don't remember who, but eventually he was joined by two others.

I just kept snapping away from way back in the distance.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Interesting to note the bods up the trees near Creek... & the mob outside the fence!!

Edited by lyntonh, 12 February 2012 - 11:12.

#5797 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,422 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 14:39

Clive Millis' Rennmax went in first, then Bill Simpson's F5000 a couple of laps later...

If there's a third car there it's Alfie Costanzo.

#5798 ken devine

ken devine

• 741 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 23:13

How close it was to that housing estate,i imagine there would have ben a few nouse complaints.

#5799 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,612 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 23:22

That's the main reason for 'The Farm' to be shut down. Worst part is........the houses were built AFTER the circuit. :down:

Advertisement

#5800 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 521 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 00:46

How close it was to that housing estate,i imagine there would have ben a few nouse complaints.

Note the view from the houses then come down the photo to where there appears to be a street, note all the cars parked & spec's having a free view of the racing.