Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
9018 replies to this topic

#5801 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,070 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 00:51

...and the land there was cheaper than the estate on the other side of the Hume H/Way because of the Motor racing!.There were other factors in play thou.,as already mentioned in other threads,sections of the AJC Board wanted the whole area turned into a Equestrian Park and used the noise issue as a lever to try and achieve that aim.They also encouraged the Trainers to lobby for new crossings and painted Geoff as some of dreamer that had lost interest in the circuit and spent his days flying around NSW in the AARC planes.

Advertisement

#5802 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,727 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:19

How close it was to that housing estate,i imagine there would have ben a few nouse complaints.

Well there were some pretty wild parties in those houses, but those at The Farm were a tolerant lot.

#5803 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,489 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 23:09

The foreshortening doesn't do that distance justice...

Here's a shot from the Clare Russell pics, one of the rare colour ones, this one the Roy Morris Repco Holden ex-Glynn Scott:

Posted Image

Clearly at Inverell Hillclimb, the background matches many of the others taken there.

I've simply got to get going and posting more of Clare's photos during this week.

#5804 Quixotic

Quixotic

• 419 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 23:56

This is a car that was built in Queensland in the early 1960s and has a Group M logbook. Runs a V8 Customline engine .... was for sale recently .. now sold.

Believe it ran steel wheels back then - not the wheels that are on it in this photo which was atken some years ago in Historics at Eastern Creek.

Does anyone know much about it ?

Posted Image

G'Day Ed,

I started a thread on this very car a while ago. It had a Ford Customline engine and some very questionable design features, or so I am led to believe. Please find thelow the thread....

http://forums.autosp...amp;hl=quixotic

Regards

Quixotic

#5805 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 00:53

The Collingrove photo has the SCV in the background with Barry Garner, Gary Cossar and (I think) Jack Wortmeyer grouped around it. That has jogged my memory in respect of the post Butterworth history of the Bowin P6 as I am pretty sure that Gary Cossar ended up with it. Gary used it with the BDA a few times when Formula Pacific (otherwise known as Formula Atlantic) was in its infancy in oz but where it went from there I don't know.

Life was never going to be boring on or off the circuit with Gary Cosser around---a talented guy.

#5806 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,723 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:24

These three photographs from the 1950 Narrogin Flying 50 were taken on what was probably a box camera - very small contact prints - and are from the Harry Smith album. They are the only 3 racing car photos in his collection. All 3 pics were taken where Fairway Street, which ran close to the railway station, turned left into Fortune Street. Check out the steam strain in the railway yards, and the spectators on the roof of a goods wagon.

Barry Ranford in his Chrysler 4 engined speedcar modified for road racing

Posted Image

Ernie Brammer in the Wolseley Hornet - the frst rear angle I've seen on this car.

Posted Image

And a venerable Vauxhall 30/98 Velox, late edition, piloted by Doug Gilbert.

Posted Image

#5807 Repco22

Repco22

• 714 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:49

These three photographs from the 1950 Narrogin Flying 50 were taken on what was probably a box camera - very small contact prints - and are from the Harry Smith album. They are the only 3 racing car photos in his collection. All 3 pics were taken where Fairway Street, which ran close to the railway station, turned left into Fortune Street. Check out the steam strain in the railway yards, and the spectators on the roof of a goods wagon.

Barry Ranford in his Chrysler 4 engined speedcar modified for road racing

Posted Image

Here's David Van Dal's pic of Barry Ranford in the same car but at a different RTH meeting. Bigger wheels fitted to the speedway car for road racing.
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#5808 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,489 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:35

What a great photo!

Where's his photos of Ranford's next car?

#5809 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:28

To my knowledge the Morgan Spl. was Ranford Snrs last race car it ran in the57 AGP as an openwheeler and in this photo it is in
the 1958 6hr as a Sports car where it finished 2nd.

Posted Image

#5810 Repco22

Repco22

• 714 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:03

To my knowledge the Morgan Spl. was Ranford Snrs last race car it ran in the57 AGP as an openwheeler and in this photo it is in
the 1958 6hr as a Sports car where it finished 2nd.

Posted Image

Ken, there was another car in between. I think it started out with a Chrysler motor and was later raced by Morrie Maurice and then George Wakelin with a side-valve Ford V8.
The only pic I can find by David Van Dal shows a small portion of it on the extreme left. I'm sure you'll have a better one.
Posted Image

#5811 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:10

Rod that car was the one built for the 51 AGP.

#5812 Repco22

Repco22

• 714 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:08

Rod that car was the one built for the 51 AGP.

That's right. And George Wakelin drove it in the '57 GP. But Ray asked to see the next car Barry built and I believe that was it. I think the speedcar was made in the late forties. The third car was a Ford 10 special open-wheeler for Barry Junior and the fourth was the Morgan Special which first ran as an open-wheeler and then as a sportscar. Colin Metcher was next to own it and then Max Fletcher who rebuilt it in a clubman style with Holden engine. The last I heard, the Sullivans had it.

#5813 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,489 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:22

Yes, the Chrysler Special...

That pic, I'm sure, shows it in Wakelin colours.

#5814 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:41

The Wakelin V8 as i have shown before. I dont know when the Speedcar was built but they only started racing here in 1946-48.
The photo of Ranford in the car was Goomalling 1954.

Posted Image

#5815 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,489 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:05

Someone's gone to a lot of trouble there to form up a new nose piece...

Yet I feel sure that in its late appearances it was just as Ranford built it.

#5816 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:16

This shot of George Wakelin about 1954 still with the old nose. The previous photo was taken by me in 1956.

Posted Image

#5817 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,489 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:05

That would be a good one to blow up, Ken...

Any chance of e.mailing me a good size copy of it?

#5818 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 23:59

Ray the quality of that photo wik not allow it to be blown up,i think i have sent you one before.I do have a closeup of Arther Collet
sitting in the car in Morry Maurices ownership i will send you that.

#5819 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 829 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:47

Great shots as always Ken. Here are a few odd shots from Longford taken by Graeme King.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisement

#5820 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,658 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:40

Here are a few odd shots from Longford taken by Graeme King.

Did Graeme get Jane and Hurd in the same frame at any stage that weekend?

#5821 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,489 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 13:24

Originally posted by ken devine
Ray the quality of that photo will not allow it to be blown up,i think I have sent you one before. I do have a closeup of Arther Collet
sitting in the car in Morry Maurice's ownership I will send you that.

Thanks for that Ken, though I am pretty sure I haven't seen either of those before...

All the same, it's not the photo I'm after, rather the detail behind the grille. Anything you can do with this one above so I can play with it would be good.

#5822 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 829 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 21:43

HI James, no Graeme only had them separately and the shot of Hurd is not great focus. We've got I think 3 in b/w of them in the same frame on the website and 2 of the Hurd car in colour but nothing in colour on track together. Cheers, Lindsay

#5823 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,658 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 22:26

HI James, no Graeme only had them separately and the shot of Hurd is not great focus. We've got I think 3 in b/w of them in the same frame on the website and 2 of the Hurd car in colour but nothing in colour on track together. Cheers, Lindsay

The one of the three of them (including Hamilton) crossing the South Esk is a favourite of mine!

#5824 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 23:03

Ray i emailed you the one of Arther Collett sitting in the car , it has a good view behind the grille.

#5825 Repco22

Repco22

• 714 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:02

That's right. And George Wakelin drove it in the '57 GP. But Ray asked to see the next car Barry built and I believe that was it. I think the speedcar was made in the late forties. The third car was a Ford 10 special open-wheeler for Barry Junior and the fourth was the Morgan Special which first ran as an open-wheeler and then as a sportscar. Colin Metcher was next to own it and then Max Fletcher who rebuilt it in a clubman style with Holden engine. The last I heard, the Sullivans had it.

I have an idea this is Barry Ranford Junior's Ford 10 special mentioned above. I think David Van Dal's pic was taken at Narrogin.
Posted Image

#5826 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 829 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:58

James, I just found this color pit shot taken by Harold Ellis in the library -maybe not quite what you had in mind, but a color shot of both cars nonetheless.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5827 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:11

Yes Rod that is Barry jnr at Narrogin. As a matter of interest do any of you ES guys know of Barry Jnrs son Ben Ranford i am told
he ran a tintop in Victoria in the 90s Don Hall gave him some sponsorship and he sent Don a photo of the car. Ben turns 50 this year
and his daughter found me through TNF and asked me if i could supply photos of all the Ranford cars to do a montage of them for
a present which i was able to do. It just shows the power of TNF.

#5828 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,847 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:15

I have an idea this is Barry Ranford Junior's Ford 10 special mentioned above. I think David Van Dal's pic was taken at Narrogin.
Posted Image

What a fabulous photo - despite having very little knowledge of the Australian scene I find this thread fascinating.

:clap:

#5829 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,489 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:43

Stephen, there would not be more than two or three people on this forum who ever saw a race at this place...

And a further three or four who've actually been there!

It is fascinating, and for most of us in particular the 'Around the Houses' photos from WA (especially colour ones like this) are a special treat.

#5830 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,723 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 13:42

That's Narrogin all right, at the point on the main road where the cars turned left into Fairway along by the railway line. Both that section of railway line, and that section of Fairway, have vanished, but the building in the background is still there. Where the little blue car is in the pic is regenerated bush. That section was a dirt road in those days. The haybales are to prevent the cars going over a 3 foot drop onto the surrounding terrain. You can see the drop if you look carefully just to the right of the haybales.

#5831 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,489 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 13:50

Terry, would I be right in assuming that this was one spot where the Double Eight would arrive spitting flames on the overrun and steam from its water-cooled brakes?

Good thing I drove around there in '79, isn't it? The whole world keeps on changing!

#5832 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,658 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 14:11

James, I just found this color pit shot taken by Harold Ellis in the library -maybe not quite what you had in mind, but a color shot of both cars nonetheless.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice. Here's the other end of the Jane car prior to leaving Conmurra Ave.

Posted Image

#5833 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,489 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 14:33

The most refined and best-sounding of all the 400s...

And driven by the most people. A shame it was to carry Bevan Gibson to his death.

#5834 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 16:26

The most refined and best-sounding of all the 400s...

So where would you rate Andrew Buchanan's?

#5835 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,489 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 22:32

Caught me out there, David!

Of course, I never saw or heard Andy Buch's car at all. Wasn't it Ford Powered? That would be a serious detractor...

#5836 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 23:56

More from the Vandal file. John Walker MG,Narrorin 1954

Posted Image

#5837 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 00:07

Morry Maurice HRG.

Posted Image

#5838 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 00:11

My apologies for that shot it didn't resize.

#5839 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 00:16

Barry Jnr tries an inside pass on an MG,

Posted Image

Advertisement

#5840 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 00:23

The Caversham straight was very wide.

Posted Image

#5841 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 452 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:10

Stephen, there would not be more than two or three people on this forum who ever saw a race at this place...

And a further three or four who've actually been there!

It is fascinating, and for most of us in particular the 'Around the Houses' photos from WA (especially colour ones like this) are a special treat.

Hi Ray, back in 2002 I went to Narrogin to try and trace the Narrogin circuit as I recalled in this thread: http://forums.autosp...n Road Circuits

Here is an extract from that thread, what I wrote about Narrogin:

Narrogin
This circuit took two goes to circumnavigate correctly, wrong turns and lack of street signs thwarted me. The circuit as used for the 51 AGP was over 7km long and very fast with the main straight over 2.4km long. I visited the tourist centre inquiring as to whether there was a commemorative plaque celebrating the 50th anniversary of the great race - the Narrogin Commemorative Australian Jubilee Grand Prix in November 2001. I was told one had been made but the stone blocks it was to be place on had been stolen and the plaque sitting in the office of town engineer Dan Turner, one of the organisers, who I was told would be delighted to show it to me. So I went up to the Town Centre to be told by reception that they couldn't find Messrs Turner despite being paged numerous times. I waited 20 minutes but to no avail. A pity.

As a bit of a footnote, my dear late Father had absolutely no interest in cars or motor racing. However he was born and bred in Albany and lived there until the late 50s. These are his three claims to motoring fame:

1. He attended the 1951 AGP at Narrogin
2. He rolled his Holden on a dirt road somewhere 'out bush' and was picked up a competitor in the Redex trial (don't ask me where or when),
3. He knew Ken Tyrrell. (That was because he was a sales rep for Millars Lumber, a very old West Australian company, in their London office in the mid 60's)

Edited by Paul Newby, 26 August 2011 - 01:11.

#5842 Wirra

Wirra

• 918 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:29

I spent some time at the Monterey Historics last week trying to track down cars which may have competed in Australia. I wonder if anyone can assist with these two queries.

1. One car was described as the Lowline T53 Cooper raced by Lorenzo Bandini in the 1961/62 pre-Tasman series, then with a Maserati engine but now fitted with a Climax. Did that car stay down-under or go back to Italy after the series? I can't believe I didn't take a snap of it.

2. This 23B carried a Repco sticker but I didn't get a chance to talk to the driver. The paint scheme doesn't ring a bell but I wonder if there is any Aussie connection? Did Repco trade in the US?
Posted Image

#5843 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:39

1. One car was described as the Lowline T53 Cooper raced by Lorenzo Bandini in the 1961/62 pre-Tasman series, then with a Maserati engine but now fitted with a Climax. Did that car stay down-under or go back to Italy after the series? I can't believe I didn't take a snap of it.

No, it went back to Italy. Now Swiss-owned, I believe. Does that tie in with the Monterey entry?

#5844 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:42

Caught me out there, David!

Of course, I never saw or heard Andy Buch's car at all. Wasn't it Ford Powered? That would be a serious detractor...

No, 6.5 Chevrolet. And beautifully presented

#5845 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:32

The thing I remember most about the Bandini Cooper Maserati at Warwick Farm was the OIL!!! EVERYWHERE!!!

#5846 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,755 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:46

No, it went back to Italy. Now Swiss-owned, I believe. Does that tie in with the Monterey entry?

http://www.mazdarace...up_b_list_0.pdf
See group 2B

#5847 Wirra

Wirra

• 918 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:03

It's all a bit confusing. I missed the 2B practice session on the Friday (no Shakespeare quips please) so I don't know if it ran then and the result sheets indicate it was a DNS in both races on the Sunday. The programme has only one T53 listed - owned by Terry Hefty and chassis number F1-12-59. That chassis number doesn't reconcile with the info at Old Racing Cars.

It may be the case that the car was not even entered but just there as a show piece and the Terry Hefty entry is a completely different car.

Edited by Wirra, 26 August 2011 - 11:07.

#5848 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:08

Having just read Paul Newbys 2002 thread about the Albany races it is time to revisit some of the old photos.

#5849 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:17

http://www.mazdarace...up_b_list_0.pdf
See group 2B

Yes I saw that, thanks, Alan

Wirra:
There was never a car numbered F1-12-59. There was an F2-12-59, but that was of course a T51 (high-line), not a T53 (low-line)
Last I heard, Terry Hefty was calling his car F2/40/59...

#5850 Wirra

Wirra

• 918 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:36

..Wirra:
There was never a car numbered F1-12-59. There was an F2-12-59, but that was of course a T51 (high-line), not a T53 (low-line)...

That why I'm confused... The F1-12-59 is the number given in the programme.