Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8835 replies to this topic

#5851 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 16:40

My suspicion would be that, if it has a log-book, it won't go back very far....

Advertisement

#5852 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,718 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:40

On the Narrogin pictures, this shows the Fairway hairpin in 1948 with Barry Ranford turning off the main road. The second pic shows how that section of Fairway as returned to native bush.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5853 Repco22

Repco22

• 710 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:04

On the Narrogin pictures, this shows the Fairway hairpin in 1948 with Barry Ranford turning off the main road. The second pic shows how that section of Fairway as returned to native bush.

Posted Image

This pic supports the suggestion that the speedcar was the first Ranford Special, followed by the '51 Chrysler etc.
The following pics; The late David Van Dal at the 2001 Narrogin Jubilee meeting, being chauffeured by yrs truly. David had designed and built the BRM Morgan R4 which had later morphed into the Byfield-Ayres Holden Sports. While the car pictured is Neil McCrudden's reconstruction, it incorporates Cliff Byfield's bodywork.
Second pic; View from the first floor balcony of Hordern's Hotel in '91. As I spoke to one of the group on the balcony [whom I obviously did not recognise] he told of the
Lotus Mk 6 he had raced in the east. Then the penny dropped; the late Doug Chivas! It turned out he lived not far from me in Mandurah and we became good friends. Doug had a run at a Northam RTH meeting in the ex Bill Patterson Cooper 'Bobtail' of Peter Briggs.
Third pic; Ex Caversham Simca racer, Bob Avery, John Cummins and Max Gamble with the Cranston Special reconstruction which Max drove at the '91 Narrogin meeting.
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The medallion presented to competitors in the 2001 Narrogin meeting. It features Mick Geneve in his Ballot-Dodge and Neil McCrudden driving his Macon.;
Posted Image

Edited by Repco22, 27 August 2011 - 06:09.

#5854 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:39

This pic supports the suggestion that the speedcar was the first Ranford Special, followed by the '51 Chrysler etc.
The following pics; The late David Van Dal at the 2001 Narrogin Jubilee meeting, being chauffeured by yrs truly. David had designed and built the BRM Morgan R4 which had later morphed into the Byfield-Ayres Holden Sports. While the car pictured is Neil McCrudden's reconstruction, it incorporates Cliff Byfield's bodywork.
Second pic; View from the first floor balcony of Hordern's Hotel in '91. As I spoke to one of the group on the balcony [whom I obviously did not recognise] he told of the
Lotus Mk 6 he had raced in the east. Then the penny dropped; the late Doug Chivas! It turned out he lived not far from me in Mandurah and we became good friends. Doug had a run at a Northam RTH meeting in the ex Bill Patterson Cooper 'Bobtail' of Peter Briggs.
Third pic; Ex Caversham Simca racer, Bob Avery, John Cummins and Max Gamble with the Cranston Special reconstruction which Max drove at the '91 Narrogin meeting.
Posted Image

The medallion presented to competitors in the 2001 Narrogin meeting. It features Mick Geneve in his Ballot-Dodge and Neil McCrudden driving his Macon.;
Posted Image

Repco22,
Third pic.
That looks like a very young Max Gamble? :)

Psst, Have you been offered a further drive in the Repco Sports lately? It's been a long time between drinks.

#5855 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,718 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:08

No the first Ranford Spl ran at Albany in 1940. Then the War got in the way. The the speedcar which he raced at Claremont before maodifying it for road racing (bigger wheels - brakes and other details). Then the Chrysler Spl.

Posted Image

#5856 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:05

Following on from the Max Stephens Cooper Bristol photos on the Longford thread, Ellrosso has asked me to post this, taken by my father at Baskerville in 1961. The Stephens Cooper Bristol is running third here, behind John Youl in his then very new Cooper T51 Climax 2.2 and Lyn Archer in the ex Brabham / Mildren/Griffiths/Roxburgh Cooper Type 41 Climax FWB. This car was actually the very first Cooper F2 car, ex works from 1956 season. It carried (and presumably still does) chassis number F2/P/56 (P for prototype) and was first raced in Aus by Brabham at 1957 AGP.

Youl set a lap record for Baskerville which stood for many years.

The fourth car is Lex Sternberg's Whiteford Climax FWB, which has been referred to as a Cooper in several places. It was originally Irving-Vincent powered but was converted to Climax FWB during 1960. If anyone has any information or photos of any of Ted Whiteford's cars there are several TNFers who would be interested to see them.

Posted Image

#5857 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,992 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:13

That one was also raced post-war, wasn't it Terry?

Northam, for one. I've never seen a rear view of it before, it's nice to see all these old WA pics coming out!

#5858 Repco22

Repco22

• 710 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:57

Repco22,
Third pic.
That looks like a very young Max Gamble? :)

Psst, Have you been offered a further drive in the Repco Sports lately? It's been a long time between drinks.

It's been a few years John. About ten! Could have driven it at Albany last year as it transpired.
Re the first Ranford Special; I don't think I've seen that one before. I wonder if Barry ran it in the Bunbury 1946 meeting.

#5859 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,992 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 13:35

Undoubtedly you have Around the Houses, Rod?

There are a few front-on pics of it in there. It's very different at the front to the rear.

Advertisement

#5860 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 14:15

Lyn Archer in the ex Brabham /Mildren/Griffiths/Roxburgh Cooper Type 41 Climax FWB. This car was actually the very first Cooper F2 car.

No it wasn't

It carried chassis number F2/P/56 (P for prototype)

Not from the start it didn't

Edited by David McKinney, 27 August 2011 - 14:16.

#5861 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 22:51

Terry
What is the car on the other side of the #6 Ranford Special prewar? Where/when was the photo taken?

#5862 ken devine

ken devine

• 748 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 23:47

Details on the photo says Albany 1940.That is Barry Snr about to get into the car.

Posted Image

Edited by ken devine, 27 August 2011 - 23:59.

#5863 ken devine

ken devine

• 748 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 23:51

The car beside Barrys in Terrys photo may have been Alan Tomlinsons MG, it looks like no 14 on the side.

Edited by ken devine, 27 August 2011 - 23:52.

#5864 ken devine

ken devine

• 748 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 00:02

Aub Melrose Austin 7 eats Ranfords dust 1940.

Posted Image

#5865 ken devine

ken devine

• 748 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 00:25

The pits 1940 Albany.

Posted Image

#5866 ken devine

ken devine

• 748 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 00:37

Advance to 1962 Doug Green Ferrari.

Posted Image

#5867 Repco22

Repco22

• 710 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:47

Terry
What is the car on the other side of the #6 Ranford Special prewar? Where/when was the photo taken?

John, the pits are clearly in Stirling Terrace, Albany with houses perched high on the hill to the right. The big department stores have gone and the action moved away from the dress circle to big shopping centres. I wonder if the two chaps standing by the back wheel are Allan Tomlinson and Clem Dwyer [in black hat]. Looks like them. The pits back on to the fence opposite as is shown in Ken's pic of the Ranford car.

#5868 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:52

Thanks for posting Bask shot Rob. Amazing to see so many relatively top shelf cars there at that time. More great stuff from the West, Ken and Terry.

#5869 ken devine

ken devine

• 748 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:14

Another shot preparing for the start 1940.

Posted Image

#5870 ken devine

ken devine

• 748 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:12

Barry drove the car at Bunbury in 1946 as the Ranford special,at the forrestdale speed trials it was called a Chrystler Monoposto,
He ran it at Caversham in 1947 and 1948 also Toodyay 1947.
At Narrogin 1948 he is listed in the Speedcar and the Ranford Special.
This information is from Terry' race results.
It seems he must have built the next Chrystler special just for the Grand prix he is not listed as driving the car after the AGP.
I ask did he loan the Speedcar to Syd Anderson for the AGP as that is what Syd was listed as driving

#5871 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:42

No it wasn't

Not from the start it didn't

David, yes, I was a bit careless with the first remark - yes there were F2 Coopers before this, notably the Cooper Bristols and Alta(s). What I should have said was that it was the first rear engined F2 Cooper. For whatever reason, I tend to associate Cooper with rear engined, as the front engined cars did not really have an impact on me. The rear engined cars had such an impact on Australian racing that I think we tend to forget what came before.

As for the chassis number on the Archer car. I dont think there is any doubt that this car, brought to Australia by Brabham in 1957, run at the AGP in WA and subsequently raced by Mildren, Griffiths, Roxburg, Archer and others carried the Cooper chassis plate F2/P/56. Lyn Archer's notebook containing the tuning and maintenace details when he had the car certainly recorded the chassis number as such when I viewed it some years ago , and I have it on good authority that in its current ownership it still carries that number. I know that Blanden's book carries a precautionary note to the effect that this may not have been the prototype car, but I have never heard any evidence to support the proposition that the number was changed to a different chassis before it came to Australia. I feel fairly confident in saying the car that has been in Australian hands since 1957 has carried that number at least since it arrived here. Doug Nye's book covers the prototype car in some detail, befitting its importance to Cooper history, but there is no chassis record given.

David, what was behind your comment? Do you have some knowledge of a change in chassis for this number?

Rob Saward

#5872 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 11:17

No, I wasn't being smart about Cooper-Bristols etc

The prototype T41 was raced in England by Roy Salvadori from mid 1956 (the formula wasn't to come into effect until 1/1/57)

At the end of the season it was joined by three new cars, one for Rob Walker, one for Ken Wharton and the other for Brabham. These were apparently numbered F2-1-56, F2-2-56 and F2-3-56 respectively. When the hitherto unnumbered prototype was exported (to Syd Jensen in NZ) it was given the number F2-4-56

The Wharton and Brabham cars were also in NZ at the beginning of 1957

I am aware that the ex-Brabham/Mildren etc car is currently plated F2-P-56, but am surprised to learn that this ID was in place as long ago as Lyn Archer's time. At one point the plate on the NZ car (F2-4-56) was misread as F2-P-56, which was logical, but incorrect.

And although Brabham did race the prototype once or twice in 1956, that wasn't the car he raced in Australia

#5873 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 22:37

Ken and Terry
If that is the Tomlinson S/C T( and I think it is) and if that is AG Tomlinson(and I think it is) beside the clearly labeled Ranford Special, the photo cannot have been taken as suggested, at Albany 1940 -- because neither the T nor AGT were well at the time.
Therefore, that Ranford Special appeared before Albany 1940
Thanks for these wonderful pics from the west

#5874 Repco22

Repco22

• 710 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:19

The pits 1940 Albany.

Posted Image

In the distance in the above pic and just across York Street, which forms part of the present RTH circuit, you can see the London Hotel [1909]. Here it is today;
Posted Image

Most of the wonderful old buildings in Stirling Terrace that you can see in previous pics opposite the pits, remain. One now houses the trendy coffee shop, 'Dylan's', where they sell all of the RTH posters from recent years, painted by south coast artist, Alexander Hills. To attract the two-wheeled crowd as well, they have an old Excelsior on permanent display. The Albany vintage motor cycle clubs, like the VSCC, run an annual hillclimb on Mt Clarence.

#5875 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,718 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:36

I just looked at the original scan of the pic, considerably larger scale. The MG is Bill Smallwood's, which was No 10. The paint job - white stripe along lower part of tail can be seen - is his. The poorish quality is because the scanned image is from a matt-finish standard sized print of the time.

Posted Image

Three personal photos of AGP 1962, Caversham, have surfaced from Harry Smith's files. They are on square prints, so I guess a 120 or 620 neg. The focus isn't crisp, so I suspect box-style camera. I cropped away a lot of sky and surperfluous foreground.

The BRM Scarab

Posted Image

The pack coming out of KLG onto straight: McLaren leads Brabham, then probably the BRM Scarab and then probably Lex Davison.

Posted Image

Bruce McLaren

Posted Image

#5876 Wirra

Wirra

• 906 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:16

Anyone know which chassis McLaren is using above.

This car was at the 2011 Monterey Historics and is listed in the programme as FL-17-62
Posted Image

#5877 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,718 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:27

This is the only pic I have that shows the chassis plate, on the dash, at Caversham 1962, but no amount of fooling about with either the original slide or the scan makes it even faintly legible. Sorry mate.

Posted Image

#5878 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,992 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:23

That was the car that he used in the '63 International races in NZ and Australia...

Sold to Lex Davison after those races and raced by him until he bought the Brabham, then raced by Rocky Tresise until the beginning of the second lap of the AGP of 1965.

I can't state for a certainty, but many of the remnants of the Davison Brabham and Cooper went to Wally Mitchell to morph into the RM1, which was destroyed in his fatal crash at Symmons Plains.

The AGP book doesn't list a chassis number for it in any of the AGP entry lists.

#5879 Repco22

Repco22

• 710 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:54

This is the only pic I have that shows the chassis plate, on the dash, at Caversham 1962, but no amount of fooling about with either the original slide or the scan makes it even faintly legible. Sorry mate.

Posted Image

Note the Jack Ayres Repco-Alta behind, which did not start in the GP.
Here's Bruce again at the '62 AGP.
Posted Image

Pic; Rod Waller

Advertisement

#5880 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,992 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:06

The US car looks too 'fat'...

As if it's a Formula 1 car of that year (1962) with an FPF engine. Bruce quite likely had smaller tanks in his car for the 100 - 120-mile events in Australia and New Zealand.

#5881 Repco22

Repco22

• 710 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:11

The US car looks too 'fat'...

As if it's a Formula 1 car of that year (1962) with an FPF engine. Bruce quite likely had smaller tanks in his car for the 100 - 120-mile events in Australia and New Zealand.

Wrong shade of green too.

#5882 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:20

I just looked at the original scan of the pic, considerably larger scale. The MG is Bill Smallwood's, which was No 10. The paint job - white stripe along lower part of tail can be seen - is his. The poorish quality is because the scanned image is from a matt-finish standard sized print of the time.

Posted Image

Three personal photos of AGP 1962, Caversham, have surfaced from Harry Smith's files. They are on square prints, so I guess a 120 or 620 neg. The focus isn't crisp, so I suspect box-style camera. I cropped away a lot of sky and surperfluous foreground.

The BRM Scarab

Posted Image

The pack coming out of KLG onto straight: McLaren leads Brabham, then probably the BRM Scarab and then probably Lex Davison.

Posted Image

Bruce McLaren

Posted Image

Terry,
"The pack coming out of KLG..."
If we wait for a few more laps we will see the Glass / Brabham coming together?
Spectated at the spot, friend souvenired a bit of Jack's car.

My money says that is the late David McKay taking mental notes of the Climax ??

#5883 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,992 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:58

Keep your money, nobody will be betting against you...

David was undoubtedly looking at that car and Jack's own quite closely that day as he was about to make a purchase.

However, I would think the shot out of MG was quite early in the race?

Edited by Ray Bell, 29 August 2011 - 08:40.

#5884 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,718 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:13

Probably early, but no idea, except cars are close together still. The late Harry Smith took the pics, nothing written on them.

#5885 Repco22

Repco22

• 710 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:49

Keep you're money, nobody will be betting against you...

David was undoubtedly looking at that car and Jack's own quite closely that day as he was about to make a purchase.

I don't think it would have been all THAT early. Not if Glass is third in the pic. He would have just been lapped as he would not be running in third..

#5886 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,718 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:56

The cars are very hard to identify on the small prints, so while I am absolutely sure of McLaren and Brabham, the next two are harder to pick. Could easily have been on the opening laps, but I simply have no idea.

#5887 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:15

FL-17-62 was apparently an unraced 1962 BRM-engined Atkins project. McLaren took the car over for the 1962/63 Australian/NZ internationals, fitted an FPF and renumbered it FL-1-63. I believe it did end up in the States

#5888 ken devine

ken devine

• 748 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:40

Getting back to Barry Ranford's cars, the Ranford special raced at Pinjelly in 1938. Speedcars first raced at Claremont in 1947 after
a group of 5 cars came from the East to demonstrate them in 1947 these were official American specification cars.
Syd Anderson either leased or bought the speedcar for the AGP .
The speedcar was later sold to Don Milne who also raced it on the road and speedway

#5889 ken devine

ken devine

• 748 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:42

This photo confirms what Terry said it is Bill Smallwood, you can also see this car in the pit lineup shot.

Posted Image

#5890 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:35

Keep your money, nobody will be betting against you...

Ray,
I trust David was aware that Jack's car was using a motor borrowed fom Bruce Mclaren after Jack's engine had a problem.

Friend and self along with others had our noses up to Don Reimann's workshop windows watching the change over.
That was until Reimann erected tarps to prevent the plebs from observing.
Never had much time for the man after that. ):

#5891 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,992 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:48

Originally posted by David McKinney
FL-17-62 was apparently an unraced 1962 BRM-engined Atkins project. McLaren took the car over for the 1962/63 Australian/NZ internationals, fitted an FPF and renumbered it FL-1-63. I believe it did end up in the States.

I'm not sure that I fully understand what you've posted here, David...

Are you saying that FL-17-62 renumbered FL-1-63 is the McLaren/Davison/Tresise car?

What was left after the Davison sellout?

It doesn't make sense, either, that a car intended for F1 (unless the Atkins project wasn't embracing a BRM V8 but was a 2.5-litre four) would be numbered as a Formula Libre car.

#5892 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:54

Agree with your last point, Ray. I'm only repeating what I read. F1-17-62 is far more likely - there was no other car with that number.

And, yes, it was the Davison/Tresize car

I don't know how much of it went into Wally Mitchell's RM1 sportscar, or how much original Cooper material went into the 1990 Murray Richards "restoration"

#5893 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,992 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:49

Probably a set of spare uprights...

Or a bulkhead from the chassis? Though I don't think the chassis would have been all that badly damaged at Longford.

#5894 Repco22

Repco22

• 710 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:04

Ray,
I trust David was aware that Jack's car was using a motor borrowed fom Bruce Mclaren after Jack's engine had a problem.

Friend and self along with others had our noses up to Don Reimann's workshop windows watching the change over.
That was until Reimann erected tarps to prevent the plebs from observing.
Never had much time for the man after that. ):

You too? I was peering in the side door of the service station as Jack worked on his car when Don mumbled something about closing the door--which he did, in my face.
Much later Don mellowed and we became very good friends. :) He and Jack went back a very long way. I understand that after the war Jack would buy cars in Sydney and ferry them to Adelaide where Don would sell them. Something like that.

#5895 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:52

From the shots of the Tresize wreckage we have in the ORP library (they aren't on the site) the chassis looked pretty straight - certainly didn't look written off from the angles David Keep shot it anyway.

#5896 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 824 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:07

Sure ther was a guy, last name Valentine had a pretty quick KM200/Ford around this time. Always went good at Amaroo.
I am still running in the middle of the pack (forum),slowly getting towards the pionty end. I do have some good photo`s to post if I can ever find some kid to show me how.Have severed diplomatic relationships with two daughters and son in laws as they have tried and failed. Me, I am glad these computor things are only a passing faize ?, otherwise one would have to find out how the damn things work aye

Posted Image
At the stop corner at Amaroo in practice 1st August 1970

#5897 DJH

DJH

• 181 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:45

There was a thread recently about Jap cars at Bathurst. The Bellets were overlooked, so here's a couple of snaps from 1966. I recall Colin Bond drove one that year.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by DJH, 29 August 2011 - 13:08.

#5898 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,992 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:59

Originally posted by Ray Bell
That one was also raced post-war, wasn't it Terry?

Northam, for one. I've never seen a rear view of it before, it's nice to see all these old WA pics coming out!

My apologies...

I meant Toodyay in this instance, where the car is clearly lined up on the starting line.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if the car No 8 in this pic...

Posted Image

...is the same car in the background carrying No 15 on P36 of Around the Houses?

#5899 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 13:16

There was a thread recently about Jap cars at Bathurst. The Bellets were overlooked, so here's a couple of snaps from 1966. I recall Colin Bond drove one that year.
Posted Image
Posted Image

I think it may be '66 because there was only one Bellett in '65, and the two depicted are obviously different cars. The Volvo is I believe the Bartlett/Harvey car. :)

Edit: I see you are too quick for me, and have corrected it. :)

Edited by seldo, 29 August 2011 - 13:18.

Advertisement

#5900 DJH

DJH

• 181 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 22:44

Yes seldo, just a typo. I only ever drove one Bellet, what a strange little car they were, totally gutless and seemed smaller than a Mini inside. A reverse Tardis.

Edited by DJH, 30 August 2011 - 00:20.