Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8751 replies to this topic

#5901 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 23:11

Car no8 in the Albany pitshot is Harley Hammonds Marquette,in this photo the car is at Pinjelly in 1940.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Advertisement

#5902 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,880 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:40

Car no8 in the Albany pitshot is Harley Hammonds Marquette,in this photo the car is at Pinjelly in 1940.

Ken are you using jelly rather than gelly as a term of endearment ?? signed: just wondering :)

#5903 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:49

I will get it right next time it should be spelt with a g.

#5904 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 20:15

Posted Image
At the stop corner at Amaroo in practice 1st August 1970

Is this KM 200 Ford still around ? It was a good jigger back when!

#5905 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 21:20

Richard Croston in Qld has had one for many years which is said to be ex Spencer Martin, don't know if it is this car though.

#5906 cavvy

cavvy

• 170 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 23:36

You too? I was peering in the side door of the service station as Jack worked on his car when Don mumbled something about closing the door--which he did, in my face.
Much later Don mellowed and we became very good friends. :) He and Jack went back a very long way. I understand that after the war Jack would buy cars in Sydney and ferry them to Adelaide where Don would sell them. Something like that.

Caught the bus opposite the Reimann garage in Loftus Street Leederville through my primary school years & it was better than any lolly shop. Remember Bob Tattersall letting me sit in his Offy.
Home of Mike Tighes Elfin - it still holds the Caversham U1500 lap record !! Where is that car these days?

#5907 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:17

With Doug Anderson in northern NSW and alive and well now after a recent big accident.

#5908 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:37

I've had this pic for ages, wrongly filed as Goomalling. Now I've ben contacted by a member of the family who once owned the Salmson in the photo, and who was sure it was Bunbury. Sure enough, a comparison between car numbers and my Race Results sheets (which I didn't have way back then) make it November 11 1946, Bunbury. Just to clinch it, although modernised, the streetscape is still recognisable through Street View.

The cars are clearly lining up for the feature handicap race, slowest cars at the front. 16 is Sydney Anderson, Austin Meteor; 17 is Harold Vague, Salmson San Sebastian. II is Vic Hodson, Wolseley Hornet. Just visible beside Hodson is Bill Smallwood's supercharged Austin 7 No 14. Further back is one or the other of the LaMotte Bros in a Ford V8 spl. Still further back is No 6, Barry ranford in the Ranford Spl.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5909 ed holly

ed holly

• 192 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:08

Time for some more of Rod Stevens' photos ...

If anyone wants a particular photo pm or email me and I'll send to you.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

have sent to Scott Whitaker and Andrew Kluver - they should know which one this is ...

Posted Image

Posted Image

This photo I will also post on the Elans racing in Australia thread ...

Edited by ed holly, 06 September 2011 - 07:10.

#5910 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,723 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:39

Bruce Leer in the Milano........with the tail out! :up:

#5911 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 23:27

I was recently sent a copy of the programme of the event from a chap i met at Albany in June. This is the list.

Posted Image

#5912 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:41

Posted Image

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/U
Vern Shuppan Oran Park

#5913 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,880 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:49

[url="http://imageshack.us...image2bs.jpg/"][img]
Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/U
Vern Shuppan Oran Park

Did he catch it? :up:

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 10 September 2011 - 05:50.

#5914 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:50

Posted Image

Errol Richardson Rennmax Ford Bathurst 1971------note rear suspension geometry

#5915 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:57

Posted Image

What "ripple strip"?------who are they?

#5916 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 810 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:58

Great action shots Dennis, especially Erol thru the Dipper. Do you know the drivers in the SRC Minis?

#5917 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,831 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:01

I'd say that's about '78 if you want to start looking at programmes...

I'm sure I would know who's in that orange car if I had a list of names.

And Mick... he's already caught it!

#5918 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:29

Did he catch it? :up:

Sure did----"additude" like this was not uncommen with F5000, was it?

#5919 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,880 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 13:13

Sure did----"additude" like this was not uncommen with F5000, was it?

Tail out a little too much in this case....but sure, beasts on track :wave:

Advertisement

#5920 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,579 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 14:19

These do not come under the "personal" other than that I scanned them from an old Classic cars supplement from some years ago. If there is a problem I will delete them. Copyright not known but I find them interesting. Click on image for larger view.
Posted Image
Charlie Whitmore's Studebaker V8 spl. Brisbane.

Posted Image
Wright's Citroen based Spl.

Perhaps others can clarify the fuller details etc of the cars and drivers.
I know that scanning them brands me a hypocrite…but …shots like this are few and far between in magazines over here.
Roger Lund

Edited by bradbury west, 12 September 2011 - 14:23.

#5921 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,831 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 21:20

Roger, the Studebaker of Charlie Whatmore (to my knowledge) never had a V8 engine in it...

Charlie was a pre-WW2 driver who kept racing well after the war, even into the sixties. This car was his from around the late forties and had a Studebaker 6 in it AFIK. Dick Willis could probably fill in a lot more detail because he either owns or owned it. There was a transplant of a Jaguar engine into it (from a burned out Mk 7) in time for the Australian Grand Prix at Southport in 1954, by which time it also had the body shown in the pic.

It ran, we're told, on a Standard 14 chassis.

The Citroen Special has been well covered previously, a Light 15 having donated all the running gear and the chassis having been built by Bill Buckle before he sold the unfinished package to Don Wright. Just where this photo was taken is hard to say, but it's very late in the fifties and it's either at Gnoo Blas, Mt Druitt or Bathurst I would suggest.

The hillclimb venue for the Whatmore pic is even harder for me to say. I've never been to either Mt Cotton or White's Hill, and there was a climb in that era at Ferny Grove or Ferny Hills and a few others around the Gold Coast.

#5922 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:16

Ray, I still own the Whatmore Jag and have had it for about 10 years since restoring it to its 1954 configuration, it had been rebuilt in 1959 to a fibreglass bodied, Holden powered sportscar known as the Foster Holden which raced at Lowood in 1960 and at the early days of historics in the late 70's, early 80's.

There is often confusion between Charlie Whatmore's first two post war cars, the first was a Studebaker 6 powered midget which he later lengthened for road racing and raced it around 1949/50. Him and Clarrie Marshall then built a new car with a Standard 14 chassis ( underslung at the rear and with transverse leaf ifs ) Fiat Topolino nose and a brand new Studebaker OHV V8 imported from the USA. It made its first appearance in 1952 and ran all the available Qld race meetings and hillclimbs, possibly the pic is from White's Hill. However the V8 proved troublesome with bearing problems, later traced to an incorrect dipstick which was supplied with the engine.

With the 1954 AGP at Southport coming up the Studebaker was replaced with the Jag as explained above but the body had been with the car since its inception. The Whatmore Jag finished down the order after running as high as third and then it also finished the 1955 AGP at Port Wakefield, the only time it ran outside of Qld. By 1956 time had left it behind and Charlie moved on to a Lotus Eleven which must have been a revelation for him.

Having driven the Whatmore Jag quite a bit I have the greatest admiration for the bravery of Charlie Whatmore and his contemporaries.

#5923 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,831 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:58

I wonder how much difference there was in weight between the Jag 6 and the Studebaker V8?

And what difference they made in weight distribution, which was a big thing with the Alfa-Alvis/Alfa-GMC/Alfa-Corvette.

#5924 john medley

john medley

• 1,163 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:06

Version 2 of the "speedway car" is shown Page 97 of my Bathurst book

#5925 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:49

Hi John, glad to see you are paying attention,

And Ray, I understand the Jag was lighter than the Stude V8 so it must have been a monster as a Jag engine certainly isn't light.

Incidentally the car now weighs about 850 kg. I will never forget the first time I drove it, at the local kart track I thought it had a badly slipping clutch but next lap around there were these two big parallel black strips up the road.

#5926 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,831 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:13

Shades of the Ray Eldershaw story about Holt Binnie's Buchanan...

If you ever want a Studebaker V8, Dick, I know where there's one approximately 97kms from your place.

#5927 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,579 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:16

Thanks for the responses. John, I will check on the car in your book.
RL

#5928 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:21

Chas debuted the new Studebaker Special at the Queensland Road Racing Championship meeting, June 8th 1952.

To quote AMS:

Chas Whatmore, pre-and post-war Queensland star, was driving a brand new and attractive looking car with a newly imported Studebaker V-8 engine. At its first start - in the over 1,500 c.c. scratch - the Stude went less than half a lap before starving for fuel. This was remedied later, but consistently dropping oil pressure put him out of the championship.

#5929 john medley

john medley

• 1,163 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:37

... and so you will see a vertical clear tube next to the fuel tank showing height of contents. Why didnt we all think of that?

An AMS much earlier, between 46 and 48 shows the "speedway car' in an earlier guise. I have seen 8mm film of same

#5930 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:16

Charlie didn't think of the"fuel gauge" I did, it's non original.

#5931 Gordon Graham

Gordon Graham

• 100 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:40

The Whatmore Jaguar at Eastern Ck, some years ago

Posted Image

#5932 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 21:27

Reading the lettering on the bonnet of that car, was it virtually a new car built in 1954 or just the change of engine? ie. Was it still on the Standard 14 chassis?

#5933 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 21:42

David, it was the same car as built in 1952 which initially ran the the Sude V8 engine with Standard chassis then changed to the Jag engine in 1954 in time for the AGP.

The "fuel gauge" is clearly visible on left rear of the cockpit in the above shot.

Ray Bell rang me regarding the year the Stude ohv V8 was introduced, a bit of Googling revealed it was for the 1951 model year in the USA. Prototype engines had been running in the plant in 1950 and there was conjecture whether the engine had been copied from the 1949 Cadillac ohv V8.

#5934 john medley

john medley

• 1,163 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 23:20

Dick, are those gentlemen the Willis Racing Team and is that the Brian Coe Kougar( different colour?)

#5935 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,831 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 23:27

Well, Cadillac had been building V8s for forty years by then...

They went ohv about 1948. But also in production at that time was the Buick ohv V8, while Chrysler's Hemis were just around the corner, the Ardun conversions for Fords had been around for four or five years and Oldsmobile were in there somewhere too.

One site I looked at in response to this question mentioned that they didn't foresee the upcoming 'power race' and that there wasn't much room for expansion in the engine. It started out at 232.6ci and grew to 259 and then 289, but apparently in 1955 there was a 225ci version (a strange move?) for one year only. Studebaker had a tie-up with Paxton, of course, and they produced a 304.5ci version for some record runs at Bonneville in 1963 (under Andy Granatelli). 157mph with the supercharger and 147mph without was the result.

One site had this to say about the early engines:

To compound those problems, Studebaker was struggling to correct the flaws of its brand-new V8 engine, just launched for the 1951 model year. Early engines suffered serious valve-gear problems that resulted in many warranty repairs and hasty design changes. To its credit, Studebaker dealt with the problem in a thorough and conscientious fashion, but it cost them more than $4 million, reducing their 1951 profits by almost 25% and taking a serious toll on public confidence.

I wonder if the problems Charlie encountered were related to this?

I remember seeing one of these engines for the first time (that I recognised it as such...) in a wrecking yard back in the sixties or early seventies. It was cast horribly square, like it had to follow geometric shapes in the block design, definitely too much metal in there. And the one up the road from you, Dick:

Posted Image

As you can see by the grille (Mercedes-Benz pattern), it's a '62 model and would be a 289. The engines were produced until 1963, when they stockpiled them (I read on one site) to cover the '64 model year. Then Studebaker tested Ford 221/260s and Chevrolet 283/327s and found the Ford wouldn't fit, but that the Chevrolet went in easily. I don't understand that as the Ford engine was quite tiny at that time. Anyway, they combined with Checker (cabs) to make an adaptor to fit the Borg-Warner gearboxes and went with Chevrolet.

#5936 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:46

Dick, are those gentlemen the Willis Racing Team and is that the Brian Coe Kougar( different colour?)

John, the team at Eastern Creek, it was probably 2001 for the Australian Specials feature, the blue car, no. 36 was also mine so it was a rather large contrast to the Whatmore Jag.

As you mentioned, Brian Coe's Kougar in the background, also Jaguar powered and one of the most photographed cars in any pit area it is parked in.

And on Australian Specials for all that are interested, at Wakefield Park, Goulburn on September 24/25 we will have about 40 of Australia's best entered for a series of races and regularities.

#5937 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,721 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:20

Well, Cadillac had been building V8s for forty years by then...

They went ohv about 1948. But also in production at that time was the Buick ohv V8, while Chrysler's Hemis were just around the corner, the Ardun conversions for Fords had been around for four or five years and Oldsmobile were in there somewhere too.

One site I looked at in response to this question mentioned that they didn't foresee the upcoming 'power race' and that there wasn't much room for expansion in the engine. It started out at 232.6ci and grew to 259 and then 289, but apparently in 1955 there was a 225ci version (a strange move?) for one year only. Studebaker had a tie-up with Paxton, of course, and they produced a 304.5ci version for some record runs at Bonneville in 1963 (under Andy Granatelli). 157mph with the supercharger and 147mph without was the result.

One site had this to say about the early engines:

I wonder if the problems Charlie encountered were related to this?

I remember seeing one of these engines for the first time (that I recognised it as such...) in a wrecking yard back in the sixties or early seventies. It was cast horribly square, like it had to follow geometric shapes in the block design, definitely too much metal in there. And the one up the road from you, Dick:

Posted Image

As you can see by the grille (Mercedes-Benz pattern), it's a '62 model and would be a 289. The engines were produced until 1963, when they stockpiled them (I read on one site) to cover the '64 model year. Then Studebaker tested Ford 221/260s and Chevrolet 283/327s and found the Ford wouldn't fit, but that the Chevrolet went in easily. I don't understand that as the Ford engine was quite tiny at that time. Anyway, they combined with Checker (cabs) to make an adaptor to fit the Borg-Warner gearboxes and went with Chevrolet.

Almost certainly sump design. A Chev was rear well and a Ford is front well.The Stude is rear well, or at least early 60s ones. The adapter is purely the bellhousing for the trans or the gearbox. The 4 speed was T10, so a bellhousing to a Chev was fairly easy, similar vintage Chevs used T10s too.

#5938 haggis

haggis

• 31 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:31

Time for some more of Rod Stevens' photos ...

Posted Image

have sent to Scott Whitaker and Andrew Kluver - they should know which one this is ...

That's the second car Russell Lamborn bought to WA in 1974, originally campaigned by Bruce Leer. Lamborn first brought the Moss Angliss car to WA which he wrote off against the pit entrance armco on June 3rd 1973. I have had it confirmed that the car was written off and unable to be repaired and having seen it on the day of the accident I am not surprised...it was severely damaged. The 'Leer' car had the larger engine and is (I believe) now the Andrew Kluver car. It's the one which was found in a shed full of water and painted red, black and white, which was the colour the car was when last campaigned in WA by John Blennerhassett in 1981. The Whittaker car is a third car not raced in the period which was built for and owned originally (I think) by Peter Wherrett's brother.

Edited by haggis, 14 September 2011 - 09:35.

#5939 Eshe

Eshe

• 118 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:38

Ouch! Chris Heyer's Golf after an unfortunate incident at Amaroo Park - around 1978 IIRC.

Posted Image

Edited by Eshe, 17 September 2011 - 08:50.

Advertisement

#5940 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,831 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 13:19

Originally posted by Lee Nicolle
Almost certainly sump design. A Chev was rear well and a Ford is front well. The Stude is rear well, or at least early 60s ones.....

Of course, why didn't I think of that? I was thinking of things like oil filter, starter location and so on.

.....The adapter is purely the bellhousing for the trans or the gearbox. The 4 speed was T10, so a bellhousing to a Chev was fairly easy, similar vintage Chevs used T10s too.

Clearly the adaptor mentioned was for the automatic transmission, not the manual. A torque converter housing, in other words.

#5941 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:08

Getting back to the Ranford cars. On Tuesday i had a 3 hour meeting with Barry he was very interested in the old photos in t he albums
i took to show him . The memories of the details of the family cars is getting hazy he was able to give me some details .
The Speedcar was built in 1945 after talking to American Airforce personel ,i had forgotten this photo which i have had for sometime.
The Speedcar and the Ranford Spl.were raced on different occasions, when they built the Ranford Chrystler for the 51 AGP 2
identical chassis were built the 2nd was powered by a Dodge. There was great interest in the Ranford Chrystler with a number of
people wanting to buy it
Barry thinks the Ranford spl. was sold to a farmer in Kattanning but it was never raced.
As for the Midgets there must have been about 4 racing on the road in that period
Since i spoke to him Barry's interest has been stirred up and he will locate the family albums and give me access to them.

Posted Image

#5942 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:11

The Ranford Spl. Caversham 1946

Posted Image

#5943 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:26

Syd Taylors first racemeeting Narrogin 1948.

Posted Image

#5944 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,831 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:55

Good stuff, Ken...

Barry (Junior) and his pictures will be most welcome here, I can tell you!

#5945 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 00:19

Speedway experience come in handy as Barry slides the midget.

Posted Image

#5946 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 00:25

Terry mentioned earlier about Barry going of into the sandbags. This is it.

Posted Image

#5947 NZALPA

NZALPA

• 65 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:53

Posted Image

Errol Richardson Rennmax Ford Bathurst 1971------note rear suspension geometry

Has anyone go a few photos of F5000's at Bathurst??

Thank you in advance.

#5948 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,831 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:43

Tough call...

Only one ever ran there, that was Niel Allen's car. Just in a couple of short races, too.

#5949 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 603 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:22

Did someone want pictures of a McLaren at Bathurst?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bruce Moxon

#5950 Wirra

Wirra

• 891 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 13:09

Has anyone go a few photos of F5000's at Bathurst?? ...

Lynton posted at least one some time back - possibly on this thread.

He is not available right now, he is in New Zealand crying his eyes out! (Ireland 15 - Australia 6)