Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8754 replies to this topic

#551 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,833 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:46

Originally posted by Stan Patterson
.....Unfortunately I know nothing of Mr Smedley or his "improvements" to Coopers but it seems that the car photographed is a T55......I. remember seeing the Navy Blue Youl Cooper in 1963 and thinking it was just was just exquisite.....

Eliminating the reference to car collectors' whims...

'Mr Smedley' is also a TNF member, and he did magical things to the Youl Cooper before he went to work for Frank Matich.

It was, indeed, exquisite.

The thread about the O'Sullivan Coopers is back there somewhere in the archives. Use 'lakeside' in your search, I suggest.

Advertisement

#552 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 13:33

More photos from Warwick Farm International meeting - January '61

Posted Image
Moss in the Rob Walker entered Lotus about to go out onto the grid - with side panels removed due to the very hot weather

Posted Image
Transmission mounted rear disc brake on BRM

#553 giffo

giffo

• 267 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 00:05

Ray,
My post was well-intentioned, I thought, simply trying to link in on the Ron Hodgson topic for anyone interested. On a forum perhaps the timing is often difficult. Whilst some of certain types of racing leaves me unmoved, I do find some of the information very interesting, especially since we in the UK only had sparse reports of your sport down there in period along with that in the US. I particularly enjoyed the recent article on the Zephyr Spl. I try to take a broad-church approach to topics, which I saw as the scope/policy of the magazine which Bob kindly sent to me, and which seems to be the same over here more and more.

A chap called Patrick Quinn did the Torana piece and is listed as their South Pacific Editor

Roger Lund.,

http://www.vintagera...id=17&magiid=45

Hi
Hi've got to know Patrick in the last 12 months as he has written a couple of articles for the ACC & the VRJ on West Australian topics.
Patrick, along with editor Casey Annis they are very keen on Australian content to be included in every issue of the Vintage Racecar Journal. I have found Partick to be a very approchable fellow when we met at Phillip Island this year, He has a huge, passionate interest in Australian racing history and has been able to turn this into what is becoming (for Parick) more than a part time job.
On the mag it's self I find that I enjoy the sprinking of racing stories/articles from around the world instead of the usual just Europe or America.

Regards
Giffo
www.warm.org.au

#554 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,833 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:20

He can certainly write with some authority on these cars...

Nice guy too. A Healey owner from way back.

#555 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,833 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:47

A bit of a change of pace from Kevin's classics...

Tim Emery sent me these some time ago, his brother took them at Hume Weir... Bob Healey in the Mallala (David Kane will have to look in on this one!):

Posted Image

And this is the monster '63 Plymouth of Alan Caelli, all in the corner before the finish straight:

Posted Image

And this is possibly Ken Harrison's Cortina chasing a Chev:

Posted Image

Maybe the Fred Wheelhouse Cooper Holden?

Posted Image

#556 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,279 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 18:03

Originally posted by Ray Bell

Posted Image

Why the 'flying' car?

#557 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,833 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 21:51

Presumably a local car dealer's promotion...

I've no idea otherwise.

#558 john medley

john medley

• 1,163 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 23:58

Lowline Cooper: Ken Cox?

#559 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,396 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 00:39

Ray:

Any idea which Malalla chassis that is? Who's the driver, etc. Shairon would love to know.

Advertisement

#560 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 00:47

It may be Rusty French's Chev being chased by the Cortina.

#561 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,833 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 01:29

Yeah, David, Rusty French being chased by the nondescript Cortina...

The Mallala is Bob Healey's, David. I think that means it's the Climax engined car that was put together by Bryan Thomson and later raced by Charlie Occhipinti, but I'd have to check that.

John, not so sure about that. Wheelhouse is mentioned in the list racing in the main race the day the Plymouth was there, and it looks like all the pics were taken on the same day. Note the green hills in the background, surely a springtime event? And the pic of the Chev on its own shows the car hoisted on the crane in the background too.

Ken Cox is not mentioned, but he was at the following meeting in a car entered by J Cierepicki... this being the V8-powered car later seen in the hands of Des Lascelles, I feel sure.

I wouldn't say so categorically, but I don't believe it's the same car. A minor detail at the front of the screen appears different to me, a pic in RCN from that Boxing Day meeting showing much the same angle of that car.

It was just under four months between meetings and I wouldn't think it likely the car would be converted so completely in that time. But I could be wrong.

Nevertheless, Cox wasn't at the September meeting and Wheelhouse was. And I don't think there's carbies for a Climax inside that bulge on the side of that car pictured.

#562 Haydn

Haydn

• 16 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 22:40

Hume Weir 1966 - Definitely looks like Ken Cox's Cooper Lowline

My FC Holden ute in line behind Lowline Cooper.

Cheers

HaydnM

#563 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,833 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 23:05

Posted Image

Posted Image

You're saying that these pics are taken at different meetings, then?

They're on the one page of the photo album, so I suspect that's unlikely. Not that I'm saying you're wrong, but that I'll have to check with Tim about it.

Perhaps Cox was there but didn't make race day? Certainly he's not mentioned in the report.

Bet you didn't expect to see your ute again at this stage!

By the way, I believe I've found some more South Australian pics... a bit of a kaydee-like treasure trove, though probably not as numerous nor as close up to the people. I'm looking forward to what transpires with a poster on another forum, it may well be there'll be lots more for this thread.

He's already staggered by what he's seen here. Of course!

#564 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 00:10

Some photos from the very wet opening meeting at Warwick Farm in December 1960 -

Posted Image
Competitors arriving for the day's racing.
I think that this is the Coffey Motors Anglia arriving - with the tractor on standby!

Posted Image
#20 Glyn Scott Cooper Climax heading over the Causeway followed by the Howard TC?

#565 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,833 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 00:27

Oh Kevin, you have done it now!

I have never seen the lake that full! Never! And I stood beside it (at a point just to the right of Scotty's head...) during the whole of that Rindt race, so I had cause to notice.

That mud, by the way, is reminiscent of what came later at the 1973 Tasman meeting, at the '69 Tasman of course, and a couple of others. But the '73 event was worst of all I attended.

Superb stuff, as always I'm looking forward to seeing more.

By the way, the fellow I mentioned who's going to start scanning his slides is from Port Lincoln. As a youngster he went to Sandown Internationals with his father, so we can expect a bunch of Sandown pics as well as some from Port Wakefield and Mallala.

#566 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 02:28

More photos from the wet Warwick Farm meeting in Dec'60 -

Posted Image
Derek Jolly wading through the water to his tow car......

Posted Image
Derek sitting in his Lotus XV changing into dry socks ready for practice....

#567 john medley

john medley

• 1,163 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 03:04

Warwick Farm opening meeting 1960:

I think I had forgotten how WET it was!!

Again brilliantly evocative photos, Kaydee. Sincere thanks

Whatever happened to the Under 1500cc Race winner, the ex Col James Barclay MG driven on this occasion by Sid Howard?

#568 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 11:54

More photos from the Dec '60 Warwick Farm inaugural meeting -

Posted Image
#89 Guy Buckingham's pretty little Nota Formula Jr.

Posted Image
#153 K Malcolm's "Skoden" - with #50 Norm Beechey's black Holden behind and probably Ron Hodgson's Red Jaguar alongside.

#569 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,833 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 12:04

Not to mention the racing holden fitted with an A-bar, the Triumph Herald with numbers on it being towed by a matching Vanguard ute...

Great stuff, Kevin. I can tell you that a lot of people are really enjoying your unveiling of those years in this way. Bob Levett was just as emphatic as I about that evocative picture across the lake with Scotty on the Causeway, if he were posting here I'm sure he'd be thanking you too.

#570 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,217 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 12:37

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ray Bell
[B]Oh Kevin, you have done it now!

I have never seen the lake that full! Never!......... .After the last week of rain here in Sydney i bet it,s full now RAY.

#571 Twister

Twister

• 23 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 13:15

Hi There Guys,
I have just joined the forum and i am in the process of building a site on www.collingrovehillclimb.com.au soon to be on line.
I am desperate for early photos at Collingrove and also photos of cars that ran at Collingrove.
Can you help me or give me soom clues on where i can "dig" some up?
Thanks in anticipation
Michael Bishop
P.S. My father David owns the Decca Special Mk1 and later called the Fiat Special after he purchased it from Derek Jolly ( the climax engine and other parts transfered to the Decca 2
Any photo's would be fantastic!!!!

#572 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,579 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 14:06

I can tell you that a lot of people are really enjoying your unveiling of those years in this way. Bob Levett was just as emphatic as I about that evocative picture across the lake with Scotty on the Causeway, if he were posting here I'm sure he'd be thanking you too. [/B]

What a shame Bob cannot be prevailed upon to join in, Ray, with his experiences.

Roger Lund.

#573 john medley

john medley

• 1,163 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 22:32

Guy Buckingham's pretty little Nota Formula Junior:

It was a pretty thing then , and remains so 47 years later though a little travel worn. I have had the pleasure of racing this car for nearly 35 years

#574 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,886 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 00:04

Originally posted by kaydee
More photos from the Dec '60 Warwick Farm inaugural meeting -

Posted Image
#153 K Malcolm's "Skoden" - with #50 Norm Beechey's black Holden behind and probably Ron Hodgson's Red Jaguar alongside.

Stunning shots Kaydee.....the identity of the mysterious fella in the hat may be revealed with some brightening of a copy of the image (lets not ruin the originals).

I am fascinated by the Skoden....the name suggests Holden and Skoda components...but the number plate is BMC!! (obviously a BMC enthusiast).

#575 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,833 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:33

Holden engine, Skoda chassis, with bits from many other cars too...

Gearbox could have been Skoda (unlikely), MG, Jaguar or Rover. And the BMC plate could simply have been because it was registered when these plates came out... about mid-1958 from memory.

#576 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:38

Originally posted by john medley
Guy Buckingham's pretty little Nota Formula Junior:

It was a pretty thing then , and remains so 47 years later though a little travel worn. I have had the pleasure of racing this car for nearly 35 years

John - I'm glad to hear that the Nota survived and is obviously in good hands!

Originally posted by 275 GTB-4

Stunning shots Kaydee.....the identity of the mysterious fella in the hat may be revealed with some brightening of a copy of the image (lets not ruin the originals).

I am fascinated by the Skoden....the name suggests Holden and Skoda components...but the number plate is BMC!! (obviously a BMC enthusiast).

Yes, the "mysterious fella" certainly looks a little sinister - but ubfortunately brightening the image doesn't reveal much more!
And sorry, I don't know much about the "Skoden" only ever saw it at that particular Warwick Farm meeting........

#577 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:51

Originally posted by Twister
Hi There Guys,
I have just joined the forum and i am in the process of building a site on www.collingrovehillclimb.com.au soon to be on line.
I am desperate for early photos at Collingrove and also photos of cars that ran at Collingrove.
Can you help me or give me soom clues on where i can "dig" some up?
Thanks in anticipation
Michael Bishop
P.S. My father David ownes the Decca Special Mk1 and later called the Fiat Special after he purchased it from Derek Jolly ( the climax engine and other parts transfered to the Decca 2
Any photo's would be fantastic!!!!

Hi Twister, welcome aboard TNF.
I have already posted a few photos of cars at Collingrove Hill Climb earlier in this thread.
I do have just a few more and you are welcome to use them on your Web Site - just send me a PM or e-mail.
Here's one to start with -

Posted Image
The Scoreboard at a 1957 Collingrove meeting showing a few well known names.

#578 Twister

Twister

• 23 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:57

I am loving it already thanks!

#579 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,833 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:49

Posted Image
The Scoreboard at a 1957 Collingrove meeting showing a few well known names.

Kevin, I'm having trouble reading the first name on that list...

Advertisement

#580 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 12:04

Kevin, I'm having trouble reading the first name on that list...

Ray, you certainly don't miss much in the way of the detail in photographs..........

#581 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 680 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 12:34

If it is of any help Ray your man [Mr Image] was 1 second slower on his second run

Any more bikes Kevin ??

#582 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,833 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 12:47

Ray, you certainly don't miss much in the way of the detail in photographs.....

Because they're so slow in coming, Kevin...

I have too much time to study them!

What were you driving, anyway?

#583 Twister

Twister

• 23 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 13:39

Where abouts was the score board located?
We (Collingrove Management committee are looking to build a new record board)
Maybe a retro one in the same area as this gem!

#584 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 00:04

Originally posted by Twister
Where abouts was the score board located?
We (Collingrove Management committee are looking to build a new record board)
Maybe a retro one in the same area as this gem!

Michael, from memory, the score board was located along the left hand side of the road leading up to the start line.

#585 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 00:08

What were you driving, anyway?

Posted Image
A Morris Minor 1000 .....

#586 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,833 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 00:23

Well that's a pic that Twister will be delighted to see!

And it really shows the character of the hill too... up on the wall...

#587 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 00:29

Originally posted by Patrick Fletcher

Any more bikes Kevin ??

I have very few pics of motorcycles but here's a couple of Ken Kavanagh taken at Longford in 1960. He had two Ducati's entered - a 125cc and a 250cc. Both bikes I think featured desmodromic valves?
Posted Image
I think this is Ken Kavanagh doing the valve timing on the 250 cc Ducati.
Posted Image
Another shot of Ken Kavanagh with the 125 cc Ducatti

#588 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 00:45

These photos were taken at Port Wakefield in Nov '59 and I think this may have been the first public appearance of Garrie's Elfin streamliner?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#589 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,396 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:15

That is very cool!

#590 john medley

john medley

• 1,163 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:04

Kaydee
These pics continue to be absolutely stunning. I havent seen one yet that doesnt transport me back in time. That's quite apart from the great stuff in the Clisby thread. Thanks so much for showing them.

Just keep doing it!!

Morris Minor on The Wall: I can hear the wheel studs groaning from here. And how was the next bit, when the road appears to narrow towards that HUGE tree?

I have never seen spectators sitting on that slope beyond the start-- partic after Michael McMichael put his BMW into that territory ?20 years ago. And I do recall an Elfin Catalina breaking a spectatorial arm almost at the spot where the MMinor photographer was standing

I used to hate hillclimbs till I ran many years ago at Templestowe( streetfighter's hill) and then Collingrove(very very clever hill designed by an absolute genius) a few weeks apart. Instant convert!

Elfin Streamliner pics: Brian Lear will hasten to add those to his Elfin Register collection. Lovely period photos

Collingrove Scoreboard: interesting times(and names). I'm surprised at how many of the names I met at some stage or other... including later speedway man Gordon Benny who had his first race at Lobethal 1948 on BSA sidecar, was the importer of the last Vincent Black Lightning into Australia, and when I last saw him this year was still working, had just moved his business to a new factory on NSW Central Coast, and was still playing with his various Offenhauser midgets

#591 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:48

Originally posted by john medley
Kaydee
I used to hate hillclimbs till I ran many years ago at Templestowe( streetfighter's hill) and then Collingrove(very very clever hill designed by an absolute genius) a few weeks apart. Instant convert!

John,
Thanks for your kind comments - more than happy to share my photos- especially when others get enjoyment from them.

Interesting to read your comments on the design of the Collingrove Hillclimb + the Clisby thread...
- Harold Clisby along with Bob Angas actually designed the Collingrove hill climb layout by driving a Jeep up and down the topography to establish the best and most challenging layout.

#592 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,687 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:08

Thanks for the great slides Kaydee. I love every single shot. :clap:

#593 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,833 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 10:32

Originally posted by Catalina Park
Thanks for the great slides Kaydee. I love every single shot.

So did Eldred Norman when he was 'tamping down' the fill in the postholes when they were fencing the hillclimg...

Every shot.

#594 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 13:47

So did Eldred Norman when he was 'tamping down' the fill in the postholes when they were fencing the hillclimg...

Every shot.

Ray - you're obviously talking about Eldred using a sub-machine gun to "shoot" suitable holes for the gelignite charges to clear the rocks and tree stumps- right?
What a pity that we don't have characters like this around anymore..........?

#595 Twister

Twister

• 23 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 14:22

Does any one know what brand machine gun Eldred used with Geoff Berry to make the holes to put the "gelly" in back in 1950/51 to clear stumps and rocks
I wish he had kept going with the rock clearing.

I believe Harod Clisby was the first "casualty" of the return road.
We are pushing for sealing of the return road.......maybe the "Harold Clisby" return road.

Was the Sporting Car Club President 1952 George Benny related to Gordon?

Thanks Guys for the photos...keep them coming please.

And people told me the internet was only good for looking at p#@n!
This is so much better.

#596 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,833 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 20:38

According to Bronnie and Nancy, Eldred tired of tamping the soil back into the postholes... so...

He fired the sub-machine gun into the ground, suitably using packing the soil with some extra lead fill that would hold those posts straight for the next fifty or more years.

I knew he used explosives to clear the stumps on his own property, but not at Collingrove. You learn something every day, don't you?

#597 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 22:10

Practice day at Port Wakefield Nov '59 -

Posted Image
Brian Muir's ex George Dent A30

#598 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:09

Some photos from the February 1960 meeting at the Gnoo-Blas circuit in Orange NSW.

Posted Image
Changing wheel on Derek Jolly's 140C on the way to Orange with the Lotus XV in tow.

Posted Image
In the pit area at Gnoo-Blas with #12 JWF in foreground

#599 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,833 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 11:52

The Noel Barnes TC to the right, surely that would be Reg Smith's Porsche in front of the JWF?

And that's one very narrow road (I mean between the fences...) on which the Jag has chosen to have a flat tyre, Kevin. In what part of the world was that? Grenfell? Wyalong?

Advertisement

#600 kaydee

kaydee

• 340 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:37

The Noel Barnes TC to the right, surely that would be Reg Smith's Porsche in front of the JWF?

And that's one very narrow road (I mean between the fences...) on which the Jag has chosen to have a flat tyre, Kevin. In what part of the world was that? Grenfell? Wyalong?

Ray, yes the program does list #40 as N Barnes, MG and the only Porsche listed is #47 B Machin.
The slide notes the flat tyre as happening near Elmore just outside Bendigo.........