This one, possibly - from the Niel Allen thread:

Posted Image
Bathurst Easter 1970

Advertisement

#5952 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,712 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 01:06

Does anybody have photos of KB and Max doing a demo lap at Bathurst in the mid 70s?

#5953 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 22:35

Does anybody have photos of KB and Max doing a demo lap at Bathurst in the mid 70s?

Ditto to that. All I have is a photo of myself J Y Stewart and Max Stewart in a posed publicity shot for Goodyear at the old control tower, alongside a F5000. I shall try to dig that up.

#5954 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,712 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:23

I have that photo in your book. (please tell me if you want it removed)

Posted Image

Edited by Catalina Park, 19 September 2011 - 08:30.

#5955 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 607 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:43

Posted Image

I remember the story in Racing Car News, and Jackie saying 'the Esses are fantastic - and don't do anything to The Dipper.'

Bruce Moxon

#5956 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,712 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:55

... and don't do anything to The Dipper.'

If only they had listened. ):

#5957 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:38

[quote name='Catalina Park' date='Sep 19 2011, 18:23' post='5289303']

That is also the only pic I have. Sure leave it in. Memorable day on the mount for Max and I Jackie was offered a drive, sensibly said he'd "pass on that, thank you".

#5958 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 805 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:45

Lynton posted at least one some time back - possibly on this thread.

He is not available right now, he is in New Zealand crying his eyes out! (Ireland 15 - Australia 6)

He's back....And not crying at all.

Who could be unhappy with a stadium full of delighted Irish Rugby fans going nuts?

The Irish guy sitting next to me kept saying to me "I know you guys are goin' to win it, but I don't know how, I just know it!"

When the game finished there was green rapture for the rest of the night.

At the Rugby club where we stayed, there were about forty camper-vans, mostly Irish supporters, & we heard them drifting back in at around 6 am,
still as happy as can be.

The Irish team simply played in the Wallabies' faces, & deserved the game.

A great night.

I'll look up any other Neil Allen F5000 shots at Bathurst that I have & post them soon....if they measure up!!

#5959 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,963 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:23

Lynton... simple test...

If Niel Allen is in a F5000 and the photo was taken at Bathurst, it measures up!

Advertisement

#5960 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 805 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:54

Niel Allen Bathurst...the quality not that good....
Posted Image

with John Harvey in the Brabham
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

All I have I'm afraid.

On race-day I was shooting mostly 8mm movie during some races, & I suspect the Open Wheelers was one of them.
I haven't viewed my movies for years, because I don't have a projector.

I've been thinking about getting them transferred onto digital, but the cost is ridiculous.

I believe you can video them from a screen if you can project them, but without a projector I'm stuck.

Maybe one day....

Edited by lyntonh, 12 February 2012 - 10:56.

#5961 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 805 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 13:04

A few others I found while searching for Niel Allen.

Jim Mckeown ...for the Porsche lovers...
Posted Image

I like the glint...
Posted Image

Alan Moffat just above the elbow....how I fluked the photographer is a mystery...
I probably cursed him at the time, but now I think he makes the shot.
I didn't like the grass either, but it sort of adds to the atmosphere.
Posted Image

Edited by lyntonh, 12 February 2012 - 10:48.

#5962 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 20:40

A rare shot of the TransAm, there is no number 9 and no Coca-Cola sponsorship.

#5963 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,963 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 22:00

Fred Gibson and George Garth carried No 9 at that meeting...

ARDC members, both of them. I wonder if that was why? And even though they were in different fields, could it have been possible that some Series Production cars might have been invited to run in the ATCC race?

#5964 Anthony Harradine

Anthony Harradine

• 39 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:11

Hi Everyone,

I was looking at an old mag this morning and opened to the last page - the classifieds.

It was fun to read the adverts from 1960. On this page I saw at least three interesting racing cars for sale. That led me to wonder if anyone had personal photos of the cars (maybe already posted here) from the day and if anyone knew where the cars were now.

Take a read of them, the interesting ones for me were the J, Bugatti Holden and the Repco Holden. Some other interesting ads too.

I also wondered if Jack Masling of Cootamundra still has the brand new Buchanan available for 265 pounds - how amazing if it never sold and he still has it. :lol:

Posted Image

#5965 Repco22

Repco22

• 710 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:21

Hi Everyone,

I was looking at an old mag this morning and opened to the last page - the classifieds.

It was fun to read the adverts from 1960. On this page I saw at least three interesting racing cars for sale. That led me to wonder if anyone had personal photos of the cars (maybe already posted here) from the day and if anyone knew where the cars were now.

Take a read of them, the interesting ones for me were the J, Bugatti Holden and the Repco Holden. Some other interesting ads too.

I also wondered if Jack Masling of Cootamundra still has the brand new Buchanan available for 265 pounds - how amazing if it never sold and he still has it. :lol:

Posted Image

Interesting reading! Third column, second ad; 'Austin Healey 100S.' I wonder if that was the late, great, author, Jon Cleary, who wrote 'The Green Helmet' and 'The Sundowners' among many others. I have a vague recollection of him having one.

#5966 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,963 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:22

I wonder if the Marshall supercharger ad in the middle column is from our esteemed member here?

The Buckle with Cooper suspension parts also sounds interesting...

#5967 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:04

Rod, no, not Jon Cleary the writer but John Cleary from Melbourne who in October 1959 had a HUGE lose in the rain at Bathurst's Mt Panorama over Con Rod Straight's last hump, sliding on his back helplessly after being ejected for what he told me was an ENORMOUS distance, his sliding on his back clearly seen by all his mates because he wore(and wore out) a yellow rain suit. Perhaps the reason for the sale

Kevin Drage may be the best person to comment on Derek Jolly's items, but I would point out( all previously mentioned in TNF)
# that is Cummo's Bugatti Holden, formerly Eileen Ellison's( and others) in the UK prewar
# the two Ians in the first two ads are Ian Wells and Ian McDonald, the latter still racing
# dont need to introduce Ralph Sach or Tom Sulman
# or (Lynx's) John Bruderlin and Leon Thomas,.... or Harry Firth even then a longtimer at AF Hollins.... or Jack Masling( dont know about that new Buchanan body... or now Mallock/U2 enthusiast Neville McKay( not, Ray , he of that name on TNF?)... or Ray Gibbs of Sabina Motors, later to work in F1 in the Cooper era and run one or two of these back in Australia
# but I am prepared to buy a Vauxhall 30/98 at that price

#5968 Repco22

Repco22

• 710 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:29

Rod, no, not Jon Cleary the writer but John Cleary from Melbourne who in October 1959 had a HUGE lose in the rain at Bathurst's Mt Panorama over Con Rod Straight's last hump, sliding on his back helplessly after being ejected for what he told me was an ENORMOUS distance, his sliding on his back clearly seen by all his mates because he wore(and wore out) a yellow rain suit. Perhaps the reason for the sale

Kevin Drage may be the best person to comment on Derek Jolly's items, but I would point out( all previously mentioned in TNF)
# that is Cummo's Bugatti Holden, formerly Eileen Ellison's( and others) in the UK prewar
# the two Ians in the first two ads are Ian Wells and Ian McDonald, the latter still racing
# dont need to introduce Ralph Sach or Tom Sulman
# or (Lynx's) John Bruderlin and Leon Thomas,.... or Harry Firth even then a longtimer at AF Hollins.... or Jack Masling( dont know about that new Buchanan body... or now Mallock/U2 enthusiast Neville McKay( not, Ray , he of that name on TNF?)... or Ray Gibbs of Sabina Motors, later to work in F1 in the Cooper era and run one or two of these back in Australia
# but I am prepared to buy a Vauxhall 30/98 at that price

Thanks John. :up:

#5969 ken devine

ken devine

• 747 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:37

In Historic Racing Cars in Australia John Cleary is listed as owning the same one as Doug Whiteford ,John Roxburgh and others
at the time of writing it was in Switzerland. You would probably put a couple of more zeros on that price now.

#5970 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 13:54

.... or Harry Firth even then a longtimer at AF Hollins....

I spoke to Harry at Eastern Creek a couple of weeks ago and even though he is 93, and looks it, the mind is still as sharp as the proverbial. A little acerbic though...

Edited by seldo, 26 September 2011 - 02:11.

#5971 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:12

With the introduction of Appendix J, it's value dropped a fair bit.
Posted Image

#5972 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:34

I seem to recall hearing Ron Reid tell me he raced a Buchanan Holden ( RR under the name of "Jock McLean, I think)in local events near his home town Harden-Murrumburrah ( which is not far from Cootamundra) and he was a mate of Jack Masling's -- so today I asked Ron's sons for more. They thought it was a KM300, green in colour( Ron had told me lettuce green), and perhaps owned by another Harden person. I think at least a 50% chance of this being the Buchanan
mentioned above.

#5973 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,750 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:04

Ken Braddock ran a light green Buchanan Holden [although not often] in the early '60s. He changed to an Appendix J FE, painted the same colour.

#5974 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,939 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:03

Masling? airlines?

Derek Jolly selling an XK140....

#5975 Hank the Deuce

Hank the Deuce

• 271 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:15

I spoke to Harry at Eastern Creek a couple of weeks ago and even though he is 93, and looks it, the mind is still as sharp as the proverbial. A little acerbic though...

for the benefit of us lesser travelled units... was it ever otherwise, Seldo?

#5976 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:18

for the benefit of us lesser travelled units... was it ever otherwise, Seldo?

True - he was never known for his comedy routines... Although I do distinctly remember him actually laughing a couple of times.
Also, in fairness, in the unlikely case that I ever last until 93, I may also not have much to laugh at either

Edited by seldo, 26 September 2011 - 07:22.

#5977 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 21:37

I enthusiastically arrived at the 1978 Sandown pit gate as Fangio quietly began his first Friday lap in Mercedes Benz W196 to find the only other standing there next to me was Harry, gloomily looking straight ahead as usual arms hanging limply by his sides as usual palms facing backwards as usual. He said " Hullo John". I very excitedly gibbered " Were you here yesterday when he drove it Harry? How did it SOUND??" Harry: " About how you'd reckon a straight 8 desmodromic valved Mercedes Benz grand prix car would sound"

#5978 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 602 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 22:16

I seem to recall hearing Ron Reid tell me he raced a Buchanan Holden ( RR under the name of "Jock McLean, I think)in local events near his home town Harden-Murrumburrah ( which is not far from Cootamundra) and he was a mate of Jack Masling's -- so today I asked Ron's sons for more. They thought it was a KM300, green in colour( Ron had told me lettuce green), and perhaps owned by another Harden person. I think at least a 50% chance of this being the Buchanan
mentioned above.

John was Jock McLean the driver that was involved in a nasty accident driving a similar car to George Murry (Austin 7 Special) at either Warick Farm or Oran Park in the mid 60's.

#5979 Hank the Deuce

Hank the Deuce

• 271 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 23:46

I enthusiastically arrived at the 1978 Sandown pit gate as Fangio quietly began his first Friday lap in Mercedes Benz W196 to find the only other standing there next to me was Harry, gloomily looking straight ahead as usual arms hanging limply by his sides as usual palms facing backwards as usual. He said " Hullo John". I very excitedly gibbered " Were you here yesterday when he drove it Harry? How did it SOUND??" Harry: " About how you'd reckon a straight 8 desmodromic valved Mercedes Benz grand prix car would sound"

Gold!! :rotfl: :clap:

Advertisement

#5980 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,963 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:17

Originally posted by DanTra2858
John was Jock McLean the driver that was involved in a nasty accident driving a similar car to George Murray (Austin 7 Special) at either Warwick Farm or Oran Park in the mid-'60s?

Jock was a Scot who raced an Austin 7 Special in the sixties, yes. He was also the father of Malcolm McLean, who raced a very quick Clubman in the eighties. Unfortunately Jock died at all too young an age during the time Malcolm was racing, but he was not the same 'Jock McLean' to whom John referred... a nom-de-roue for Ron Reid.

#5981 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:22

..hehe..Yep - I can just hear him saying it too, absolutely deadpan.

Edited by seldo, 27 September 2011 - 09:07.

#5982 oldrevhead

oldrevhead

• 19 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:42

Gold!! :rotfl: :clap:

Those pics are awesome....great work

#5983 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 22:15

Addition to Ray's response re Jock McLean: a son of Jock was seeking info re his father on this forum, Jock did race an offset singleseat Austin 7 chassised BMC A special at same time as George Murray, and I believe died of a heart attack while much later racing the ex George Murray car in historics at Oran Park.
Definitely not RReid AKA "Jock McLean" in non CAMS outlaw events

#5984 AlanH

AlanH

• 5 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:00

This one, possibly - from the Niel Allen thread:

I have a few pics that I took of Max & Kevin at Bathurst in their F5000's (Not all that great quality!) According to the labels on the backs of the photos this was October 1976 (Would that be right?)
Co incidently, a couple of days ago my wife found a folder of old photos of the kids and these photos were there as well. I have scanned them, now all I have to do is work out how to upload them! Any clues? (I might add this is my first 'post') Regards AlanH

#5985 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,398 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:10

Alan, you need to upload the photos to a website, either your own (if you have one) or one of the image-hosting sites such as Imageshack. Check out the 'How to post images' sticky thread towards the top of the threads list. Good luck!

#5986 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:56

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The annual King Edward Hillclimb is on this weekend 2-3/10/11.
unfortunately changes have been made to the circuit layout, due to "forces outside the organising clubs control. (MGCC Newcastle )
It is not the "hill" it once was, but is still the most scenic of any hillclimb circuit in Australia.
A few photos from the past--------pit area 1970

#5987 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:09

Posted Image

Murray Bingham ----Bingham Cobra (Porsche Cobra) 1970 (?)

#5988 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:15

Posted Image

Dennis Hogan (Vic) Lotus Elan (1970?) ---always spectacular

#5989 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:22

Posted Image

Alpine hooliganism! ---locked diff, great fun!

#5990 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:31

Posted Image

Errol Richardson exiting "Purcey's Pinch"------Wortmeyer SCV (1970?)

#5991 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:32

Posted Image

#5992 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 794 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:25

Great pics Dennis, from an old KEP competitor,

#5993 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 13:41

I have found a few early Symmons Plains colour photos which I have not seen for years. The original transparencies are a bit worse for wear but interesting nevertheless.

The first one is from 1960. The opening meeting of S-P was March 1960, the week after Longford. Could have been this meeting but not sure. John Youl (Wyllie Javelin), Max Stephens (Cooper Bristol), Lex Sternberg (Whiteford Climax), Dave Powell (Cooper Mk IV JAP).
URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/683/201109170.jpg/]Posted Image[/URL]

The next three are all 1961, the Examiner Thousand Gold Star meeting (not sure of date). First photo lead car is the MGTC special ex Bruderlin & Thomas, probably Brian Bowe who I think brought it to Tasmania from Sydney, then I think the MGTC Special of Geoff Smedley, the Le Mans Jaguar (Bob Ford or Alan Cohen), Buchanan MG (either Gerald Tattersall or John Contencin (one was red and other green but I am not sure which way) then Ray Long in Elfin Aero.
Posted Image
Last two are from the Examiner 1000 race. Looks like first lap. Youl, Mildren, (unknown car hidden by Miller), Miller and Glass. Memory tells me Youl went on to win this, but I have been wrong before. This was his home track (literally), being built on the family grazing proerty next to their house. So John would at least known the track fairly well, having his own private test track!
Posted Image
Last one is Youl and Mildren maybe a lap or two later. All photos by Jim Saward.
Posted Image

Rob Saward

Edited by austmcreg, 01 October 2011 - 13:43.

#5994 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 17:19

Did Mildren have stripes down his bonnet?

#5995 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,963 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 21:18

Dick Willis should be able to answer that...

In the meantime, the obscured car in the first '61 Examiner race pic is surely easy to pic if one had a programme?

#5996 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 21:24

In the meantime, the obscured car in the first '61 Examiner race pic is surely easy to pic if one had a programme?

Or better still a race report...

#5997 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 23:56

Great shots Dennis and Rob. That Newcastle course looks terrific - must have been a great spectacle back in the day.

#5998 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 00:17

Did Mildren have stripes down his bonnet?

David, No I don't believe he did. I have never seen any other photo of that car with stripes. I also studied this photo in this regard. I believe it is a quirk of light / angle and perhaps the poor state of the original transparency.
Rob Saward

#5999 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,750 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 00:32

Posted Image

What a marvelous car the SCV is. :up: It's still virtually unbeatable at a hillclimb [in the hands of Peter Gumley].

Had a yarn with Erol at Wakefield Park, last weekend - he looked well. Where there's a race car to 'tweak', Erol will be there!

Advertisement

#6000 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:34

Just wondering if I can get some help with the caption on this shot from Albert Park in 1956 re cars and drivers. Thanks in advance.

Posted Image