Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8719 replies to this topic

#6001 Repco22

Repco22

• 707 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:41

Just wondering if I can get some help with the caption on this shot from Albert Park in 1956 re cars and drivers. Thanks in advance.

Posted Image

Nice pic! Front row l-r; Reg Hunt, 250F, Kevin Neale, A6GCM, Lex Davison, Ferrari625
Second row; Stan Jones, Cooper Bristol, Arthur Griffiths, HWM Jag.
Couple of Altas back there; #9 ?, #17, Bill Craig ? [Alta Holden]

Advertisement

#6002 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:47

Either March 11 1956 Albert Park Trophy over 50 miles, or March 18 1956 Argus Trophy over 150 miles.

L to R front row: Reg Hunt Maserati 250F, Kevin Neal in Hunt's Maserati A6GCM, Lex Davison Ferrari Type 500/625

Second row: #7 is Tom Hawkes Cooper T23, #5 Arthur Griffiths HWM-Jaguar

Also visible is #9 Jeff Scorer Alta 2-litre Monoposto, #11 Bill Craig Alta F2-Holden (white)

EDIT: Bah, beaten to the punch.

Edited by David Shaw, 02 October 2011 - 06:50.

#6003 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:50

Stripes on Mildren's bonnet

David, No I don't believe he did. I have never seen any other photo of that car with stripes. I also studied this photo in this regard. I believe it is a quirk of light / angle and perhaps the poor state of the original transparency.
Rob Saward

I did consider that, Rob, but there are other aspects about the car that look Climax rather than Maserati, and it doesn't look to me like Mildren's posture in the car. Of course if it was a very early race for the car, the body-shape question could be answered.
Colour aside, I would have said David McKay in the Scuderia Veloce T51. Perhaps he ran that green once or twice before giving the car its more familiar colours?

#6004 Repco22

Repco22

• 707 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:02

I did consider that, Rob, but there are other aspects about the car that look Climax rather than Maserati, and it doesn't look to me like Mildren's posture in the car. Of course if it was a very early race for the car, the body-shape question could be answered.
Colour aside, I would have said David McKay in the Scuderia Veloce T51. Perhaps he ran that green once or twice before giving the car its more familiar colours?

David, It does look more like McKay. The windscreen appears to have been cut away too.
David Shaw;- Re Albert Park pic and the Cooper Bristol, I thought the shoulder looked a bit too bony for Stan!

#6005 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:09

I don't think Stan appeared at this meeting. He was at Fishermen's Bend for the Victoria Trophy meeting in February in the Cooper-Jaguar T38.

#6006 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 810 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:30

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Cheers, ellrosso

#6007 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:35

David and Repco 22, sorry to disappoint but it is not Mckay.
1. The McKay Cooper was in SV red at Mallala AGP a month earlier, so doubt it was painted green afterwards.
2. David McKay never raced at Symmons Plains in anything.
3. McKays book 'Scuderia Veloce" page 54 notes the following: "An important meeting of some of the leading drivers also took place that November , prompted no doubt by the chaos surrounding the GP at Mallala and the vexed question on starting money. The meeting was held during a race meeting at Symmons Plains where Stillwell, Patterson and Jones of Victoria, Youl and Miller of Tasmania and Glass of NSW got together to form a drivers union. Davison and I were absent but our names were put forward and accepted as founder members" etc etc.

On further study of the lap 1 photo, I do see David McKinney's point regarding the rear bodywork. The position of the intake bump on the 'green' Cooper appears to be on LHS, indicating Climax, wheras a Maserati has intake on RHS of the engine. The excerpt from McKay's book gives us the required clues - it seems like Mildren may not have been present at this meeting, but Stan Jones was. The car in question is number 2, and that was Jones' number at Longford in 1961, so likely he carried it through the year, as the top Australian drivers tended to keep their numbers. Though, Mildren used number 2 in 1960 at least at AGP.

Given that the colour balance on the original transparency has deteriorated considerably, I am now reasonably convinced this is Jones' car, which was painted blue. I have enlarged the original higher resolution scan and that confirms Jones - white Herbie Johnson type helmet rather than Mildren dark colour and also Jones-type goggles rather than Mildren visor. I also looked at the apparent stripes on this, and whilst Jones did not have them earlier in the year at Longford, it looks like there may be some on it here, but I would not be too definite about this as stated earlier. The signature Cooper bonnet vent is also clearly that of the Jones car, which as per notes on the Tasmanian Cooper T51 thread, was unique and easily identifiable.

It would also appear likely the car hidden in the 1st lap photo (between Jones and Miller) is either Stillwell or Patterson. Does anyone have access to the AMS or other race report?

This is what I enjoy about TNF. Always something to learn.

Rob Saward

#6008 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:43

Thanks Rob

I didn't think it was McKay, but didn't think it was Mildren either! I ruled out colour degredation turning red to green, but didn't think of the (more likely) possibility that it had turned blue to green

#6009 Repco22

Repco22

• 707 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:24

David and Repco 22, sorry to disappoint but it is not Mckay.
1. The McKay Cooper was in SV red at Mallala AGP a month earlier, so doubt it was painted green afterwards.
2. David McKay never raced at Symmons Plains in anything.
3. McKays book 'Scuderia Veloce" page 54 notes the following: "An important meeting of some of the leading drivers also took place that November , prompted no doubt by the chaos surrounding the GP at Mallala and the vexed question on starting money. The meeting was held during a race meeting at Symmons Plains where Stillwell, Patterson and Jones of Victoria, Youl and Miller of Tasmania and Glass of NSW got together to form a drivers union. Davison and I were absent but our names were put forward and accepted as founder members" etc etc.

On further study of the lap 1 photo, I do see David McKinney's point regarding the rear bodywork. The position of the intake bump on the 'green' Cooper appears to be on LHS, indicating Climax, wheras a Maserati has intake on RHS of the engine. The excerpt from McKay's book gives us the required clues - it seems like Mildren may not have been present at this meeting, but Stan Jones was. The car in question is number 2, and that was Jones' number at Longford in 1961, so likely he carried it through the year, as the top Australian drivers tended to keep their numbers. Though, Mildren used number 2 in 1960 at least at AGP.

Given that the colour balance on the original transparency has deteriorated considerably, I am now reasonably convinced this is Jones' car, which was painted blue. I have enlarged the original higher resolution scan and that confirms Jones - white Herbie Johnson type helmet rather than Mildren dark colour and also Jones-type goggles rather than Mildren visor. I also looked at the apparent stripes on this, and whilst Jones did not have them earlier in the year at Longford, it looks like there may be some on it here, but I would not be too definite about this as stated earlier. The signature Cooper bonnet vent is also clearly that of the Jones car, which as per notes on the Tasmanian Cooper T51 thread, was unique and easily identifiable.

It would also appear likely the car hidden in the 1st lap photo (between Jones and Miller) is either Stillwell or Patterson. Does anyone have access to the AMS or other race report?

This is what I enjoy about TNF. Always something to learn.

Rob Saward

That cutaway windscreen matches Jones' blue car too.

#6010 john medley

john medley

• 1,160 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 22:03

One car unidentified in the Albert Park photo is the Milthorpe Ford V8, with its distinctive side valances visible

#6011 Repco22

Repco22

• 707 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:00

One car unidentified in the Albert Park photo is the Milthorpe Ford V8, with its distinctive side valances visible

Wondered what that was. Btw; If anyone ever doubted that red cars are quicker...

#6012 AlanH

AlanH

• 5 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:52

I have a few pics that I took of Max & Kevin at Bathurst in their F5000's (Not all that great quality!) According to the labels on the backs of the photos this was October 1976 (Would that be right?)
Co incidently, a couple of days ago my wife found a folder of old photos of the kids and these photos were there as well. I have scanned them, now all I have to do is work out how to upload them! Any clues? (I might add this is my first 'post') Regards AlanH

Here (Hopefully!) are the photoe of KB and Max at Bathurst in their F5000's (Also a couple of a Scotsman who could drive a bit!)
Incidently, I have written on the back of the photos and I have labeled the third photo as being driven by Spencer Martin. Would that be true? (and where would I have got that information?)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6013 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,754 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:43

I think we need KB to weigh in here on this...

That does look like there's another driver in the third pic.

#6014 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,834 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:21

Here (Hopefully!) are the photoe of KB and Max at Bathurst in their F5000's (Also a couple of a Scotsman who could drive a bit!)
Incidently, I have written on the back of the photos and I have labeled the third photo as being driven by Spencer Martin. Would that be true? (and where would I have got that information?)

Posted Image

Wee Jackie appears to have lulled KB into a deep sleep... :)

#6015 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,668 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:46

Great photos AlanH. Thanks for posting them.

#6016 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 791 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 21:01

I clicked on the images & found they came up on Imageshack.

I found that by signing on to my Imageshack account I could upload enlarged copies.

Hope you don't mind!!

They've come up pretty well, I reckon!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6017 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,754 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 22:49

Maybe the helmet that looks different is just an illusion?

Like I said, we need KB to weigh in here...

#6018 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 23:55

Maybe the helmet that looks different is just an illusion?

Like I said, we need KB to weigh in here...

OK Ray, thanks for the prompt.

Firstly Max and I were the only drivers on the day. Jackie was invited to do some laps but made some excuse that his kit was not readily available. Real reason was "don't be daft I've survived this far, thanks, but Helen would not approve".

The two T400's where given long 5th gears for the occasion and reached speeds on Conrod near 200 MPH. The three humps were treated with due caution, of course. The main problems encountered were that on the dirty track normal race tyres and DS11 pads of the time didn't see eye to eye with the "unswept" low grip condition. For instance on mountain straight the brakes and tyres would be cool again by XL turn in and would only get sufficient temp for some grip by Reid Park gate. We cranked on heaps of wing which helped and lap times were well under the record. BUT I forget the details of those times unfortunately.

The helmet shot would be a distortion caused, I guess, by the screen.

#6019 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,754 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:56

If you were under the record, surely someone kept a note of it...

Thanks, KB, glad we've got the direct input on this event. Especially since I wasn't there!

Advertisement

#6020 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:47

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
"Dinta" and Kate Officer, their Gallant hanging all out---Buladelah State Forrest (early 70`s) A very competitive team in a indecently quick Gallant, the "additude" shown in the photo was normal for the "Officers"

#6021 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:04

Posted Image

Southern Cross Rally (1982) Daryl (Revs) Rowney--the name of his navigator will come to me later. Datsun SSS--ife was never dull if Revs was close by. ( The previous photo was also Southern Cross 1982)

#6022 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:04

Posted Image

Southern Cross Rally (1982) Daryl (Revs) Rowney--the name of his navigator will come to me later. Datsun SSS--ife was never dull if Revs was close by. ( The previous photo was also Southern Cross 1982)

#6023 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:20

I thought this was a thread for racing photos 1950s to '70s - not rally photos and not '80s...

#6024 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,754 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 23:53

And there is already a thread about one of the Southern Cross rallies...

They're probably more appropriate there.

#6025 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 483 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:11

I very much doubt those rally pics are Southern Cross related anyway:
- the last Southern Cross was 1980, there wasn't one in 1982
- can't recall Dunlop ever being the major sponsor of the Cross, and it had very distinctive door panels

More likely that both pics are from a Dunlop / 2GO rally (1982?)

#6026 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,834 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:23

FFS ...give the guy a break! or maybe get this lot moved to " Heavily emotive motorsport moments" :rolleyes:

Great shots Dennis, the Officers should have been committed!!! :rotfl:

#6027 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,048 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:10

I very much doubt those rally pics are Southern Cross related anyway:
- the last Southern Cross was 1980, there wasn't one in 1982
- can't recall Dunlop ever being the major sponsor of the Cross, and it had very distinctive door panels

More likely that both pics are from a Dunlop / 2GO rally (1982?)

Great Pics. but not the Southern Cross,Dunlop part/sponsored & lot of Rally's in the late 1970's early 80's. I think Rob Wilson was "Revs" regular Navigator but it may have been Gordon Leven if thats a 180B,guys over at Classic Rally cars would know for sure.

#6028 DennisTobin

DennisTobin

• 51 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 19:51

Sorry chaps--seems one has to read the rule book. Apologies for putting dust on this forum. Thank the Gods of Motor Sports I did not summit a few Speedway shots.

#6029 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,706 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 20:52

Sorry chaps--seems one has to read the rule book. Apologies for putting dust on this forum. Thank the Gods of Motor Sports I did not summit a few Speedway shots.

Dear oh dear, Dennis, shame on you! :rolleyes:

You could post the photos of Jack Bono's 356 Porsche.........the ones I sent to you [via Lisa]. Don't forget to send them back - via Lisa is OK.

#6030 ozdude

ozdude

• 30 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:05

Personally Dennis, I'd love to see some speedway pics. Preferably 3 wheels, but will settle for 4.
Cheers, Ozdude

#6031 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 483 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:14

Sorry chaps--seems one has to read the rule book. Apologies for putting dust on this forum.

Dennis, there is a thread on here somewhere called "Personal Photos of Rallies" or something like that.
Here - http://forums.autosp...=photos rallies

Would love to see some more rally pics from that era, if you have some ....

Edited by GeoffR, 19 October 2011 - 12:15.

#6032 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,754 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:18

So there you go...

It's not about people not wanting to see the pics, but wanting to find them where they'd expect to find them. Especially when they want to go back and revisit them later and do a search, finding a rally photo in a rally photo thread is much more logical.

#6033 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,706 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 20:27

Thanks for clearing that up, Mick. :confused:

#6034 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,834 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:30

Thanks for clearing that up, Mick. :confused:

No problem....we went off course for a while there...but a little Hindustani logic....and voila! :wave:

#6035 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,196 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:11

K.B. waiting.

Posted Image

Edited by eldougo, 24 October 2011 - 09:14.

#6036 ed holly

ed holly

• 191 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 00:35

Found these amongst some John Partridge photos of his Lotus Eleven ...

The TR4 - I think with a Harrington body has a note Jim Quinn on the back. No note as to where, but maybe Lakeview in the ACT.

The other photo has no note ...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ed

#6037 mymemoryfails

mymemoryfails

• 295 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 00:46

The TR4 - I think with a Harrington body has a note Jim Quinn on the back. No note as to where, but maybe Lakeview in the ACT.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ed

The guy in the mini-moke surely qualifies as a super-optimist!
mymemoryfails

#6038 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 302 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:03

Ed

I think the start line photo is probably at the Hume Weir circuit where the field was gridded up on a slip road and the telephone box provided an interesting form of protection for start line officials!! The TR4 could well be at the Lakeview hillclimb as you suggest, Ed.

Paul H

#6039 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,754 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:20

Definitely Hume Weir...

And there's Denis Geary in the thick of it too, ahead of the Mini Moke as well, but only until he pitted for a spark plug. Bob Healey in the Mallala, Bevan Gibson in the bestriped Lotus 15 and Bob Muir in the 23, Fred Gibson back there in the Elan and I don't recognise the other Elan with the arm waving.

Advertisement

#6040 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 566 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:11

Could that be Bob Holden in the Moke ???????

#6041 Repco22

Repco22

• 707 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:37

Jim Harwood was the manager of Perth's 'Performance Cars' and as Caversham's annual '6-Hour Le Mans' approached in 1958 he cast his eye around the salesyard. A navy blue and white TR2 looked promising but would need a tweak. Jim's smooth talking persuaded a local firm, Mortlocks, to give the car a head and valves job and a tyre company was also charmed into fitting four free tyres---provided they be returned after the race! The Morgan Special of the Ranford father and son team had been converted to a sports car with the addition of lights and guards and with hallf an hour to run, looked to have the race won. But overheating caused a series of late pitstops, allowing Jim and co-driver Bill Downey to take the lead and hold it with the Morgan recording an equal 181 laps. Additional excitement was provided by Dave Sullivan who executed a double barrel-roll in his 'humpy' Holden, took a breather and rejoined the race!
Posted Image

Jim Harwood pressing on in the '58 '6-Hour'
Pic-R Waller.

#6042 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,754 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 13:02

Originally posted by DanTra2858
Could that be Bob Holden in the Moke?

Did Bob ever race a Moke?

The only Moke I can clearly remember was the one raced by Charlie Smith and Bo Seton at Surfers in the 12-hour, but obviously there would have been others.

It was Peter Woodward in that other Elan. The race report doesn't mention all the names, but let's see if we can work out what we have...

Posted Image

Trevor Lewis was pretty quick in a U2, that would be him behind Bob Muir, I'd think. Ian Adams was in the ex-Howard & Sons Lotus 7, he would have been off the back of the grid. Another Lotus 7 was run by Leigh Seibler and Hall was in a Geneer.

#6043 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 20:26

Without checking with Charlie I think his Moke only did one event, the Surfers 12 hour and then it went back to BMC from whom they had borrowed it.

I have an idea Doug Hicks in Victoria raced a Moke a few times, do any of our Victorian friends know about this ?

#6044 wagons46

wagons46

• 268 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 21:20

Without checking with Charlie I think his Moke only did one event, the Surfers 12 hour and then it went back to BMC from whom they had borrowed it.

My recollection as well, after all the 'streamlining' had been removed and it was standardised again. It certainly never raced again in that form other than the 12 hour.

Edited by wagons46, 25 October 2011 - 21:21.

#6045 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,048 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 21:55

The Moke John Bryson drove at Catalina Rallycross had some sort of Zetland connection but not sure if its the one you guys are referring to.

#6046 wagons46

wagons46

• 268 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 22:26

[quote name='Dick Willis' date='Oct 26 2011, 07:26' post='535

I have an idea Doug Hicks in Victoria raced a Moke a few times, do any of our Victorian friends know about this ?
[/quote]

There is a photo (68171) of Doug Hicks and his Moke on Autopics that has a similar rollbar to the one in the pic above.

#6047 ron simmonds

ron simmonds

• 56 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:22

[quote name='wagons46' post='5359388' date='Oct 26 2011, 09:26'][quote name='Dick Willis' date='Oct 26 2011, 07:26' post='535

There is a photo (68171) of Doug Hicks and his Moke on Autopics that has a similar rollbar to the one in the pic above.[/quote]

The Mini Moke is that of Doug Hicks. Doug fitted doors to the Moke so as he could run as a sports car. At this meeting he rolled the car and damaged it beyond repair. I brought the complete motor/gear box and fitted it to a Morris 850. The motor was very strong, so i ran this car in a few events winning my class at the LCCA autocross event run at the Baccus Marsh horse racing site. This same car was bought by Carlins Auctions for Mike Browning to drive in the first of the rallycross meetings at Calder. The car became known as the jumping bean,because of the pale green color. I hope this helps to clear up this topic, Cheers Ron Simmonds.

#6048 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 810 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:56

I remember the Browning car Ron - I think RCN did an article on it at the time.

#6049 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 791 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:00

From the Oran Park meeting on 26th March 1972, I'm mystified about who's driving the Scuderia Veloce Porsche.

Maybe Alan Grice......??

Bill Brown's in No: 2.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by lyntonh, 12 February 2012 - 10:41.

#6050 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,149 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:48

I think its Alan Hamilton.As he had the Foley car after Jim Palmer.Raced at Calder park in August of that year with the number 2 on the flanks also BP stickers and Minilites.