Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8827 replies to this topic

#6201 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,947 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:30

Originally posted by Paul Hamilton
Ray, my recollection is that when the 1300cc limit was first introduced in the early 70s the clubman fields in NSW remained dominated by 1600cc cars. There were certainly a few quick 1300 visitors from south of the border on occasians and JO'B and Seldo came along a little later but, at least initially, events such as the Geoghegan series remained dominated by the larger engined cars. The general view in NSW was that the 1300cc limit made no sense when an off the shelf Lotus Super 7 had a larger engine than that and those cars made up the bulk of the fields. It took some time for cars with well developed 1300 engines and more sophisticated chassis to get to the front.

If you count them up, Paul, I think you'll find not more than three or four 1600s in with a chance of a win in 1972/73...

Bob Martin in the Seca, of course, David Booth, Peter Lander and Ray Kaleda. Graeme McClintock and Graeme Baird came along and still stood a good chance into 1975, but they were by no means looking like constant winners. I think that would be about it. The 1300s, even the local ones, were all over them.

By 1973/74 I think you'll also find that the NSWCRAssn had their pointscore divided so the 1600s still had a chance of winning tin. David Seldon was in the field - and at the front thereof - by the end of 1972.

Advertisement

#6202 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,947 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 15:15

Originally posted by Wirra
Some lesser quality images of the Fair Deal Car Sales Torana (Digby?). You can see how all that jumping around unsettled the cars.

From the S Fryer shoebox collection.
Posted Image

That's quite some distance before the crossing...

#6203 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 303 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 23:12

If you count them up, Paul, I think you'll find not more than three or four 1600s in with a chance of a win in 1972/73...

Bob Martin in the Seca, of course, David Booth, Peter Lander and Ray Kaleda. Graeme McClintock and Graeme Baird came along and still stood a good chance into 1975, but they were by no means looking like constant winners. I think that would be about it. The 1300s, even the local ones, were all over them.

By 1973/74 I think you'll also find that the NSWCRAssn had their pointscore divided so the 1600s still had a chance of winning tin. David Seldon was in the field - and at the front thereof - by the end of 1972.

Ray, I think our respective recollections each relate to different time periods. The CAMS clubman formula changed from 1100cc to 1300cc in 1972 and your comments all cover the subsequent years. My own involvement with the NSW clubman group was during 1968 to 1971 when I was driving the Turner and often matched up against the clubman cars. In those earlier days there were very few 1100cc cars and even fewer quick ones. Bob Rollinghoff and David Medley were usually at the front of the 1100cc class but normally significantly off the the pace of the front running 1600cc cars.

It is my recollection that the CAMS 1100cc limit only ever had very limited acceptance in NSW during the early years of clubman racing but that the 'official' formula grew in strength once the limit increased to 1300cc and we started to see more more sophisticated chassis designs, mostly using the smaller engines, taking over from the Lotus Sevens which had until then made up the bulk of the 1600cc fields. The Geoghegan series was a major catalyst for the growth of clubman racing in NSW in the late 60's and was initially totally dominated by the Lotus Sevens the Geoghegans were selling. A standard Super Seven came with a 1340cc Consul Classic engine and the 1100cc capacity limit simply made very little sense in those days although it was more readily accepted in Victoria.

#6204 Wirra

Wirra

• 904 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 00:11

That's quite some distance before the crossing...

I have reworked the text in post #6199 to assist the slow learners.

#6205 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,837 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 00:50

A mate of mine was rallying a Datsun. Some scrutineer decided the mud flaps were one millimetre (literally) too far off the ground.

So, rather than buy $60 of poly sheeting and cut it up and attach it to the car, they got one of the service crew to sit in the boot while the came back to scrutineering and got it remeasured.

And then there were the bits of fibro in the leaf springs to get up to minimum ride height (touring car). Mesothelioma due any time now, I'd say.

Bruce Moxon

Just letting the tyres down to about 10lb would have solved that mudflap problem.
And spring packers were used a lot to pass scrutineering where there was set ride heights. I can remember seeing wood but never fibro!!

#6206 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,947 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:59

Originally posted by Paul Hamilton
Ray, I think our respective recollections each relate to different time periods. The CAMS clubman formula changed from 1100cc to 1300cc in 1972 and your comments all cover the subsequent years. My own involvement with the NSW clubman group was during 1968 to 1971 when I was driving the Turner and often matched up against the clubman cars. In those earlier days there were very few 1100cc cars and even fewer quick ones. Bob Rollinghoff and David Medley were usually at the front of the 1100cc class but normally significantly off the the pace of the front running 1600cc cars.....

We aren't really talking about different time periods...

I mentioned David Seldon running in 1972, he hit the track in early November and was immediately fast. By the first couple of 1973 meetings we had Johnno also bothering Martin and Lander (Keith Murray having bowed out) and Neville Carden not far behind.

Certainly, Baird and McClintock came in later. During '74 if I recall correctly. I think you'll find that by that time Gronky was Corolla-powered and getting up to speed.

Another point is that the 1600s had been given a lift from 1500 at the same time as the 1100s graduated to 1300cc.

It is my recollection that the CAMS 1100cc limit only ever had very limited acceptance in NSW during the early years of clubman racing but that the 'official' formula grew in strength once the limit increased to 1300cc and we started to see more more sophisticated chassis designs, mostly using the smaller engines, taking over from the Lotus Sevens which had until then made up the bulk of the 1600cc fields. The Geoghegan series was a major catalyst for the growth of clubman racing in NSW in the late 60's and was initially totally dominated by the Lotus Sevens the Geoghegans were selling. A standard Super Seven came with a 1340cc Consul Classic engine and the 1100cc capacity limit simply made very little sense in those days although it was more readily accepted in Victoria.

Yes, you're right there. But 'sophisticated' chassis designs (ie. ones that left Sevens wilting) were arriving from '65 with the first U2, the Hustlers followed and Welsors of the later lightweight type were there by '71.

Yes, the Geoghegan-sponsored series helped keep the NSW interest up in 1500s, but Victoria was also aided in its direction to the smaller cars by John Pryce being there. They also had Tony Farrell and his cars.

#6207 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 607 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:28

Just letting the tyres down to about 10lb would have solved that mudflap problem.

Maybe not, with modern rally tyres. They'll run almost flat and the sidewalls are incredibly strong - to resist rocks. And that wouldn't have been as funny, anyway.

BM

#6208 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 14:02

I mentioned David Seldon running in 1972, he hit the track in early November and was immediately fast. By the first couple of 1973 meetings we had Johnno also bothering Martin and Lander (Keith Murray having bowed out) and Neville Carden not far behind.

Certainly, Baird and McClintock came in later. During '74 if I recall correctly. I think you'll find that by that time Gronky was Corolla-powered and getting up to speed.

Another point is that the 1600s had been given a lift from 1500 at the same time as the 1100s graduated to 1300cc.

Yes, you're right there. But 'sophisticated' chassis designs (ie. ones that left Sevens wilting) were arriving from '65 with the first U2, the Hustlers followed and Welsors of the later lightweight type were there by '71.

Yes, the Geoghegan-sponsored series helped keep the NSW interest up in 1500s, but Victoria was also aided in its direction to the smaller cars by John Pryce being there. They also had Tony Farrell and his cars.

I'm glad you remember all that stuff Ray - I just drove the bloody thing and wasn't interested in all the politics....
BTW - Happy Christmas everyone :)

Edited by seldo, 24 December 2011 - 14:03.

#6209 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,947 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 17:48

Remember? I don't remember it all...

But RCN does, including the bit about the front axle bending the first time out at Warwick Farm.

I do feel, however, that the writer of those reports was somewhat enthusiastic about you and your car.

#6210 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 303 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:23

That all confirms my thought, Ray, that we have been talking of different time periods. My comments related to the 1968/71 period whereas all those you have talked about appeared subsequent to that period. It seems to me that adoption of the 1300cc limit in 1972 was something of a catalyst for change in NSW.

#6211 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,947 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:59

I see...

So what you wrote about "when the 1300cc limit was first introduced in the early 70s the clubman fields in NSW remained dominated by 1600cc cars. There were certainly a few quick 1300 visitors from south of the border on occasians and JO'B and Seldo came along a little later but, at least initially..." meant nothing?

You see, as a result of this I thought you were talking about the 1300 era, with reference to the 1100 era for comparison.

#6212 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,947 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:59

I see...

So what you wrote about "when the 1300cc limit was first introduced in the early 70s the clubman fields in NSW remained dominated by 1600cc cars. There were certainly a few quick 1300 visitors from south of the border on occasians and JO'B and Seldo came along a little later but, at least initially..." meant nothing?

You see, as a result of this I thought you were talking about the 1300 era, with reference to the 1100 era for perspective.

#6213 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 12:37

...They also had Tony Farrell and his cars.

There's no doubt the Farrels were quick - but they were soooo light - Col Wear used to shake his head in dispair/disapproval/frustration as he mumbled something about them being "dangerously light and 180lbs lighter than a Welsor". It's a looong time but I sort-of recall, rightly or wrongly, that he was talking numbers of something like 740lbs for the Welsor, and 500 and something for the Farrels... I might be talking nonsense, but be kind - it is 40 years ago....:)

Edited by seldo, 25 December 2011 - 12:39.

#6214 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 303 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:53

I see...

You see, as a result of this I thought you were talking about the 1300 era, with reference to the 1100 era for perspective.

Its a bit harsh to suggest that the comment was meaningless, Ray, but I must confess the reference to the 1300cc limit was not relevant and should have read 'introduction of the 1100cc limit in the 60's'. I had thought that the 1300 limit came along earlier and have always tended to group the 1100 and 1300s together. After identifying the date of introduction as 1972, my later post was intended to clarify the comment and spell out more clearly the period I was talking about. When considered together with my qualifying post I believe that the comment is entirely valid.

For the sake of clarity my comment is that the larger engined cars were dominant during the period I was competing against the clubman cars in NSW (1968 to 1971). All your comments in respect of the performances of the smaller cars relate to subsequent years. As I have said we are simply talking of different time periods and I believe that each of our observations are correct.

#6215 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,947 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:55

Yes, I can see that, Paul...

But what I can't see is how a Farrell could be 180lbs lighter than a Welsor!

#6216 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:44

Yes, I can see that, Paul...

But what I can't see is how a Farrell could be 180lbs lighter than a Welsor!

Well for a start there was probably 100 lbs in the engine between the Corolla and the "A" series....
Knowing you well Ray - you'll probably shoot me down with an accurate 87lbs or thereabouts....;)

#6217 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,947 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:56

Oh yes, in the engine I'd agree...

I thought you meant he said the chassis was that much lighter.

#6218 2Bob

2Bob

• 405 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 22:05

There's no doubt the Farrels were quick - but they were soooo light - Col Wear used to shake his head in dispair/disapproval/frustration as he mumbled something about them being "dangerously light and 180lbs lighter than a Welsor". It's a looong time but I sort-of recall, rightly or wrongly, that he was talking numbers of something like 740lbs for the Welsor, and 500 and something for the Farrels... I might be talking nonsense, but be kind - it is 40 years ago....:)

My 1974 ASP clubbie is 800 lbs according to the original log book, that is with Corolla engine and gearbox, Morris diff etc, all pretty light stuff. 400Kg according to current Historic log book, hmm I know I have put on 20% weight (or more maybe!) in that time but still... I know Farrells are light but can't see where they would be THAT light. Hard to believe that the Welsor would be 60lb lighter than the ASP actually, let alone the Farrell 300llbs lighter!

#6219 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,837 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 23:19

My 1974 ASP clubbie is 800 lbs according to the original log book, that is with Corolla engine and gearbox, Morris diff etc, all pretty light stuff. 400Kg according to current Historic log book, hmm I know I have put on 20% weight (or more maybe!) in that time but still... I know Farrells are light but can't see where they would be THAT light. Hard to believe that the Welsor would be 60lb lighter than the ASP actually, let alone the Farrell 300llbs lighter!

But Bob what does it actually weigh! Put it on the scales at the track next meeting. I often hear bullshit claims, and total surmise about weights and horsepower.
60 lbs I can understand but 300 no. Even if the Farrell was built very light and used an alloy head engine and gearbox.

Advertisement

#6220 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,947 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 00:52

Well, it did...

Actually, there were two Farrells that would have come under Col's close gaze in that period. Colin Pavic's had a Corolla engine and box, Noel Devine's had a Datsun engine and box IIRC. There might be 20lbs difference between these engines, but I seem to recall that the Corolla engine - water pump to clutch - weighed about 210lbs. The engine I was going to use came in at about 180lbs in the same guise despite having a much sturdier crankshaft.

The chassis frame itself shouldn't have weighed more than about 110lbs, so there wasn't a lot to be saved there, most suspension bits and pieces were the same, they all had the BMC A-series rear end and much the same in the way of brakes etc.

Col Wear's creations were pretty light things, too!

#6221 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,837 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:37

Well, it did...

Actually, there were two Farrells that would have come under Col's close gaze in that period. Colin Pavic's had a Corolla engine and box, Noel Devine's had a Datsun engine and box IIRC. There might be 20lbs difference between these engines, but I seem to recall that the Corolla engine - water pump to clutch - weighed about 210lbs. The engine I was going to use came in at about 180lbs in the same guise despite having a much sturdier crankshaft.

The chassis frame itself shouldn't have weighed more than about 110lbs, so there wasn't a lot to be saved there, most suspension bits and pieces were the same, they all had the BMC A-series rear end and much the same in the way of brakes etc.

I would suspect they were heavier because if the material was good enough to stick weld it would be thicker material. From what I have seen on some clubbies they are made out of very thin tube. Ok until you hit something!

#6222 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:57

Well, it did...

I seem to recall that the A series engine was about 270lbs including the heavy front and rear plates. Dont know what the Sprite gearbox weighed, but I'd guess at about 60lbs. Also Col always claimed that the Farrells weren't safe because they had no frame/body-work aft of the rear axle, so there might be 15-20lbs in that too. And I'd guess that the beam-axle would weigh a bit more than some tubular wishbones.
But - we're taking this thread completely away from its topic - photographs. :)

#6223 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 803 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:21

agree my Bathurst book points to either Winter or Crawford,pity the race number is unreadable either 30 or 32,but then agian36 was C.Farrell in a Brabham -Ford.
Its not a traditional Brabham nose.

Ray Winter...Amaroo Park 2nd August 1970
Posted Image

#6224 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 803 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:35

Warwick Farm 2nd May 1970
Posted Image

Edited by lyntonh, 10 February 2012 - 13:10.

#6225 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 803 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:50

Somewhat self indulgent I suppose, but I thought I'd go back & see
what my first ever motor racing photo looked like.

Graeme Laurie gets the gong
Posted Image

And just for interest, TNFer Paul Hamilton was second
Posted Image

Both at Warwick Farm Creek Corner on 12th July 1969...

Edited by lyntonh, 10 February 2012 - 13:09.

#6226 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 803 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:39

Easter Bathurst 1972

At the Dipper....

Guess who's more comfortable through the esses...
Posted Image

three guys....all watching the car for some reason
Posted Image

Clubman...
Posted Image

Formula Fords...
Posted Image

Bottoming...
Posted Image

Suspension on show...
Posted Image

Did they drive it to Bathurst?
Posted Image

Come on...turn...
Posted Image

Clubbies...some tape's got him into this race...
Posted Image

Paul Hamilton..Turner
Posted Image

#6227 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,837 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:53

Easter Bathurst 1972

At the Dipper....

Guess who's more comfortable through the esses...
Posted Image

three guys....all watching the car for some reason
Posted Image

Clubman...
Posted Image

Formula Fords...
Posted Image

Bottoming...
Posted Image

Suspension on show...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Come on...turn...
Posted Image

Clubbies...some tape's got him into this race...
Posted Image

Paul Hamilton..Turner
Posted Image

Pic 5 of the open wheeler. Those poor driveshafts! And it must be an illusion as the gearbox seems on an angle.
Pic 7. The HDT LC V8. Reputedly they did drive it to Bathurst,,, and Larry drove it to Adelaide too!

#6228 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 303 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:56

Easter Bathurst 1972

At the Dipper....

Paul Hamilton..Turner
Posted Image

This is Bill Marshall who bought the Turner from me at the end of 1971 when I acquired my first open wheeler. Bill was taller than me and added that ugly extension to the roll bar.

#6229 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,947 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:14

Originally posted by lyntonh
Easter Bathurst 1972.....

Graham Moore on the tail of Bob Morris
Posted Image

Colin Bond
Posted Image

Clubman... John Tidey in the JayBee
Posted Image

Formula Fords... Douglas Heasman chasing Len Searle, who he did catch.
Posted Image

Ian Fergusson, I feel sure
Posted Image

Suspension on show... quite appropriate for a "Handling by Heasman" entry!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Doug Macarthur in the Rennmax
Posted Image

Clubbies...some tape's got him into this race... John Maroulis with the
Welsor of Keith Murray on his tail
Posted Image

#6230 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,248 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:45

[quote name='lyntonh' date='Dec 19 2011, 19:42' post='5454318']
Bathurst 1971...some open wheelers...
This is Ian Fergusson as seen before.
Posted Image

#6231 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 803 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:31

Ye'll tak' the high road, and ah'll tak' the low road...

Posted Image

Edited by lyntonh, 10 February 2012 - 13:13.

#6232 Wirra

Wirra

• 904 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:35

Same circuit, same class, same numbers... different cars.

Posted Image

Can someone identify the leading car below?

Posted Image
Photo S Fryer

#6233 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 607 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 18:15

Posted Image

Posted Image
Photo S Fryer

The two Minis are 16 and 19 aren't they?

And isn't that a Porsche? Maybe Alan Hamilton?

Bruce Moxon

#6234 Jean L

Jean L

• 274 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 18:16

Seem it is the Jaguar D-Type XKD526.

#6235 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,947 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 18:45

Keith Berryman, surely?

I was going to suggest it was an 'all-in' untimed practice session, but it actually seems to be a morning shot.

#6236 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,837 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 21:35

is it my imagination or is that number upside down. it looks like 83 biased towards the driver instead of forward.

#6237 Wirra

Wirra

• 904 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:10

The two Minis are 16 and 19 aren't they?

Bruce. Sorry, I was making reference to Lynton's photo in the preceding post.

#6238 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,170 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:55

Keith Berryman, surely?

I was going to suggest it was an 'all-in' untimed practice session, but it actually seems to be a morning shot.

I would agree on that one.

#6239 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 276 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:11

Posted Image

Posted Image
Photo S Fryer

My guess is Keith Berryman Jaguar D type followed by Doug Chivas Alfa Spyder and then Paul Meyer Lotus Elan. Tasman meeting 1968.
Dale.

Advertisement

#6240 Wirra

Wirra

• 904 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:11

My guess is ... Tasman meeting 1968.
Dale.

I can only recall that D-type in Leaton Motors colours. http://www.coventryr...ail/?car=XKD526

Dale. I would say you are right about it being the Tasman meeting as Stephen also has a photo of a BRM (Dicky Attwood?).

I wonder if that is Launchpad just inside the railing?

Posted Image

A few more to be identified.

Posted Image

#6241 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,947 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:02

Andy Roberts on the outside?

The dark green car seems to be a Turner, I think there was one with a BMC A-series running at the time.

#6242 launchpad

launchpad

• 95 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:38

[quote name='Wirra' date='Jan 4 2012, 16:11' post='5468150']
I can only recall that D-type in Leaton Motors colours. http://www.coventryr...ail/?car=XKD526

Dale. I would say you are right about it being the Tasman meeting as Stephen also has a photo of a BRM (Dicky Attwood?).

I wonder if that is Launchpad just inside the railing?

Posted Image

I can't see myself (Launchpad) in any of the pics - only those pesky flaggies who had a really good spot!
In fact I think I spent most of the morning in the pits....

Posted Image

....taking odd and sundry atmosphere photos. I think this shot explains the number positioning.
However, I did get some sporty cars on film..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rod (Launchpad ) Mackenzie

#6243 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,947 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:46

Originally posted by launchpad
I can't see myself (Launchpad) in any of the pics - only those pesky flaggies who had a really good spot!
In fact I think I spent most of the morning in the pits....

Posted Image

Oh, yes! I do remember that race!

Posted Image

And wouldn't this photo fit well in the 'Famous Amon' thread?

#6244 pknowles

pknowles

• 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:47

Ray Winter...Amaroo Park 2nd August 1970
Posted Image

hi lynton, thank you for posting your pics on hemi6pack.com they are all well received, please post more valiant, chrysler, dodge and any mopar related pics, pete

Edited by pknowles, 04 January 2012 - 10:49.

#6245 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,723 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:15

Posted Image

Looks like Dickie Attwood in a V12 BRM

#6246 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 803 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:19

hi lynton, thank you for posting your pics on hemi6pack.com they are all well received, please post more valiant, chrysler, dodge and any mopar related pics, pete

Cheers, Pete.

I'm happy to post some photos on other forums (fora?);

I still want to concentrate on Autosport TNF because of it's solid core of people from back then.

The membership here is generally quite knowledgeable, & as photos get uploaded & discussed,
a useful illustrated database (computer-speak for library) of researchable information about motorsport from the "old" days
is being created.

A few of my shots have ended up being taken from here & posted on forums elsewhere,
& I've noticed that as they've been posted, captions & discussion have been
altered or lost.

I'll gladly give you guys some Chryslers to drool over, but my main efforts will remain here.

Encourage your mates to come over here for a look now & then.... they should find it interesting.

Edited by lyntonh, 04 January 2012 - 11:22.

#6247 launchpad

launchpad

• 95 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:19

Oh, yes! I do remember that race!

And wouldn't this photo fit well in the 'Famous Amon' thread?

Hi Ray,
Where is the Famous Amon thread? I could post it in there if I could find it!

By the way, have you seen my Tasman Series Calendar 2012? Any comments?

Anyone interested in a preview should look at the thread Tasman Series Calendar 2012, or should do a search on google.

These pics did not make it into the calendar but were also from the 1968 Tasman meeting weekend.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rod Mackenzie (Launchpad)

Edited by launchpad, 12 January 2012 - 11:32.

#6248 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,947 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:24

The dark green car seems to be a Turner, I think there was one with a BMC A-series running at the time.

#6249 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 303 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:27

The car on the inside is indeed a Turner but it is dark blue not green!! It is my ex Wal Donnelly 1650cc Ford powered car and the '68 Tasman meeting was its first race in my hands. This was one of a very few occasions on which I left the front bumper bar on as I was then involved in negotiations with GPFS to have the car re-admitted to the marque sports car events at the 'farm and was endeavouring to present it in as close to standard road going appearance as possible!!

The car on my inside might well be Andy Roberts (Climax Special) but could also be Mike Nedelko in the Prad. I don't know who is in the clubman car in front of both of us.

#6250 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,947 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:32

Originally posted by launchpad]
Hi Ray,
Where is the Famous Amon thread? I could post it in there if I could find it!

By the way, have you seen my Tasman Series Calendar? Any comments?

The Amon thread was actually entitled, "Famous Amon Stories" and was started by Keir. It was ultimately locked, so nothing more can be added to it.

And yes, Tony did give me your calendar, it was a nice selection of pics and very nostalgic.

These pics did not make it into the calendar but were also from the 1968 Tasman meeting weekend.

Posted Image

Ample evidence here that Outside Broadcasts used to be a huge undertaking...

It's hard to believe that all this gear related to just three cameras covering the circuit!