Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8981 replies to this topic

#6501 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:51

Pic 2.how did the Byfield Repco sports get past the Cortina?

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Advertisement

#6502 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:57

After having a good look at both pics i have worked out the answer to my own question.

#6503 Repco22

Repco22

• 714 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:41

Pic 2.how did the Byfield Repco sports get past the Cortina?

Posted Image

Ken, the second shot was taken on the Saturday, practice day. My co-driver, David Rockford, couldn't reproduce his start on race day.
I guess you worked that out from the crowd.
There is a greater mystery about these two pics. Can anyone spot it. Unfair if you're not a West Australian!

Edited by Repco22, 06 February 2012 - 11:06.

#6504 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:13

What first got my attention was the Renault hadn't moved in shot 2.

#6505 BMH Comic

BMH Comic

• 173 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 14:49

There is a greater mystery about these two pics. Can anyone spot it. Unfair if you're not a West Australian!

This would have to be that for a Le Mans start that there are no runners!!

Did the Repco get away better than the rest because the engine was already running?????

Not wishing to suggest any cheating took place!! BUT I did hear that several cars employed a toe board starter!

#6506 Gordon Graham

Gordon Graham

• 100 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 20:44

Where's the 64 six hour winner, Harley Pederick in the E-Type? Perhaps hidden way down the back in the race day shot because he was a last minute entry?

#6507 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 647 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 21:32

Posted Image

Would the tallest driver in this photo be Phill Barnes????

#6508 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 00:04

For the doubting Thomasas there were runners. That 4th one was a bit slow of the mark. Sorry about my mates head being in the way.

Posted Image

#6509 Repco22

Repco22

• 714 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:11

For the doubting Thomasas there were runners. That 4th one was a bit slow of the mark. Sorry about my mates head being in the way.

Posted Image

Ken, that was practice again. I obviously flashed past all the other runners, even the cheats, because look at the start David got!
Gordon, you got it! The winner is indeed conspicuous by his apparent absence. As I recall, Harley had his early Holden there for practice [don't know which one in the pic] but must have struck trouble so fronted on race day with his E-Type and walked away with the win. I think you can just make out the ivory shape at the rear of the field. A bit anomalous, I would have thought. IIRC he drove the distance on his own.
BMH; No, the motor wasn't running at the start but it did run quite well--until the halfway mark when the crankshaft broke. :|

Edited by Repco22, 07 February 2012 - 02:12.

#6510 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,721 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:11

Lovely colour shots of the 6-hr start in 65, Rod, first I've seen. It's wonderful how much colour is surfacing after all these years. There were probably a hundred cameras dotted around the track that day, and it wuld be wonderful if every frame could be found. (Can't help being nuts about photos - I started taking pics with a box brownie aged 10, and have never stopped).

#6511 Repco22

Repco22

• 714 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:24

Lovely colour shots of the 6-hr start in 65, Rod, first I've seen. It's wonderful how much colour is surfacing after all these years. There were probably a hundred cameras dotted around the track that day, and it wuld be wonderful if every frame could be found. (Can't help being nuts about photos - I started taking pics with a box brownie aged 10, and have never stopped).

Thanks Terry. My dad took those. I had a cheap and nasty camera for some early [1957--] black & white shots at Caversham and a Pentax from the '60s for quite a few colour slides, some of which are now on the computer. They're not prizewinners but I still have misgivings about one or two individuals, in particular, knocking them off!
Incidentally, I bought the Pentax from the late Owen Stringer who ran Carillon Photographics. That's him in the number 22 Cortina in the practice start pic. Owen wasn't all that happy when I returned it for a swap but there was a flaw in the lens. How did that get through quality control?

Edited by Repco22, 07 February 2012 - 07:13.

#6512 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 829 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:55

Few sports cars + a couple of randoms. Great stuff from the West too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6513 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:21

This would have to be that for a Le Mans start that there are no runners!!

Did the Repco get away better than the rest because the engine was already running?????

Not wishing to suggest any cheating took place!! BUT I did hear that several cars employed a toe board starter!

Tom,
A hazarded guess, the runners had got behind the fence.

In the two years that I had a go I don't recall running but a runner was used, a simple tap on the shoulder was enough.

Rod, do you recall the white hanky waved out the window to alert the pits that you were in on the next lap? :rolleyes:

Cheating! Cheating? Tom we were all gentlemen racers back then. ;)

#6514 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,209 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:29

There is Mike (275 GTB-4) the flaggie with his back to us. :rolleyes:

No...not guilty your honour...however, I could be on the fence further up :wave:

#6515 Repco22

Repco22

• 714 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:30

Rod, do you recall the white hanky waved out the window to alert the pits that you were in on the next lap? :rolleyes:

No John.... I didn't have a window. :well:

#6516 BMH Comic

BMH Comic

• 173 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:31

Tom,
A hazarded guess, the runners had got behind the fence.

In the two years that I had a go I don't recall running but a runner was used, a simple tap on the shoulder was enough.

Cheating! Cheating? Tom we were all gentlemen racers back then.;)

I assumed that as the runners don’t have helmet hair that they were just that, runners, they must have got out of the way pretty quickly.

Besides cheating, you played drop the hankie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did the girls drop the hankie or was it the boys?

ROD TOLD ME ABOUT THE CHEATING BUT NOT THE HANKIE BIT? or maybe it was someone else that told me they had toe board starters installed.

I guess that this is the opportune time to bring forth my good friend favorite parable in Motor Sport

“THERE ARE ONLY TWO TYPES IN MOTOR SPORT- CHEATS AND LOSERS!"

#6517 Repco22

Repco22

• 714 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 13:41

I assumed that as the runners don’t have helmet hair that they were just that, runners, they must have got out of the way pretty quickly.

Besides cheating, you played drop the hankie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did the girls drop the hankie or was it the boys?

ROD TOLD ME ABOUT THE CHEATING BUT NOT THE HANKIE BIT? or maybe it was someone else that told me they had toe board starters installed.

I guess that this is the opportune time to bring forth my good friend favorite parable in Motor Sport

“THERE ARE ONLY TWO TYPES IN MOTOR SPORT- CHEATS AND LOSERS!"

Tom, see post 6490 which describes our starts except that I forgot to mention the whole point of the change; Seat belts buckled up!

#6518 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:45

With every bit of due respect how nasty looking in the handling department are some of those Tasmanian cars??!!

#6519 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:08

Ken, the second shot was taken on the Saturday, practice day. My co-driver, David Rockford, couldn't reproduce his start on race day.
I guess you worked that out from the crowd.

The mystery? A dry track on both days? Rain being a regular Cavvy feature on 6 Hour weekends.

Advertisement

#6520 Repco22

Repco22

• 714 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:30

The mystery? A dry track on both days? Rain being a regular Cavvy feature on 6 Hour weekends.

John, see posts 6506 and 6509. They explain it. If there was a prize Gordon would have it by now! :)

#6521 BMH Comic

BMH Comic

• 173 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:29

Tom, see post 6490 which describes our starts except that I forgot to mention the whole point of the change; Seat belts buckled up!

Might I respectfully suggest that the move to have drivers handed the keys or put there hands on there heads and have the judge of fact watch each and every competitor was that if they didnt the whole field would have cheated!

I think it is every competitors nature to get the best advantage over all of the others, calling it cheating maybe a little bit strong a prose but its fine so long as you dont get caught!

#6522 launchpad

launchpad

• 95 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:06

I have been scanning some F5000 photos for a new book coming oout soon from Full Throttle publishing.
I have seen some of the proofs and the content is fantastic. BTW it's not all mine. There is a great line up from well known photographers showing magic shots.

Here are two from Adelaide 1972 Tasman race featuring Gary Campbell's Lola.

Posted Image

Posted Image
copyright Rod Mackenzie
Rod

Edited by launchpad, 11 February 2012 - 05:53.

#6523 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 829 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:28

Yes we are all looking forward to the F5000 book too Rod - five of us from oldracephotos have contributed images to it so can't wait to see it. Strong TNF presence in it with Ray doing the words too.
A couple of F5000 pics plus the cover of Tassy Motorist magazine showing the Le Mans start at '65 Longford

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6524 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,178 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:41

When is the F5000 book expected to be on sale?

#6525 launchpad

launchpad

• 95 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:40

When is the F5000 book expected to be on sale?

I have not seen a more impressive book about F5000.
It has images that take you into the world of F5000 and you feel the noise and excitement generated by these monsters.
If you were there to see F5000 as it was, it gives shivers up your spine as you read the Drivers words.
The book acknowledges the early Tasman Cup Series which became the F5000 heydays.
I expect that with the International content that soon after release, it will be hard to obtain.
Perhaps I might post a "teaser" pic - or two........
You can preorder through Full Throttle Publishing or Automoto Bookshop.
Sorry, I was carried away.

We hope early March, but most likely by the end of March.

Rod

#6526 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,411 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 13:42

A glimpse... a word picture...

“So I was back in the lead and seemed to have his measure, but a few laps later the car became unstable at speed, it was walking around. I backed off a bit, it seemed to be aerodynamically spooky. The front wheel was off the ground up the straight and I had to brake earlier.”

Or two...

Another aspect of the McLaren F5000 we focused on very strongly was the absolute necessity to find the correct settings in suspension and gearing to enable car and driver to achieve their best around the track. This obviously applies to all race vehicles to one degree or another, however, it was essential for the F5000s to achieve their potential speed around a circuit and to be able to apply maximum torque for accelerating exit speeds out of corners, particularly the slower ones - very necessary to win a race and especially in chasing a pole position or lap record.

The latter was always an exceptionally stimulating and heart throbbing experience for me when pushed to the maximum. To me, while subconsciously working to control your own sense of self discipline, you knew you were testing the limits. Even with the intense concentration demanded, it was as though you were putting yourself in God’s hands in giving it all you had by entering the zone of eleven-tenths driving. I’m sure these pressures applied to all of us who did it!

Or three:

To drive such a vehicle in the rain or on a wet and slippery surface was something magic. For even with this horsepower you were still trying to tame this cute beast. When pushing the limits to the edge and beyond, we all know that she can bite back and there are many who have the scars to prove it.

A further touch of reality:

Even after all this time I can recall every agonising second of the accident. It is true what they say, that the mind slows down dramatically and the three to five seconds that the whole event took to unfold felt like minutes. A couple of things that stand out, first, how quiet everything went after the initial impact point and once the engine stopped. The second thing was that amongst the many other consequences that had just beset me, I was badly winded. One of the hardest things that I have ever done in my life was take that first breath. I felt that I was fighting for my life and if I could not get that first breath then I would die there and then.

However, the good news is that following my recuperation and subsequent return to professional racing about a year later, I went on to win races at the Surfers track in subsequent years. I believe that I was also the first F5000 driver to take that Dunlop Bridge corner flat out in fifth gear, which to me at the time felt like I was conquering my greatest challenger: “I was King of the World” as Titanic’s Jack Dawson (Leonardo DiCaprio) would say. It was fantastic!

And more:

“When I married Adelina, I took her out to a race meeting,” Alf remembers. The car was unreliable, it was getting old, it was generally inferior. But it had a determined little Italian in the cockpit and she could see it was important to him. “You should buy a better car!” she told him.

“That was just what I wanted to hear,” Alf says. To know his wife was prepared to let him spend the time and money necessary to go racing more seriously heartened him considerably and so he bought the Elfin Mono.

Yet more!

There is something about single seat open-wheel cars. You have a great feeling of oneness with the car, it sort of fits around you and you become part of it, a feeling that can't be duplicated in any other type of car. The power at the time was also awesome, and I was to have a lot of fun with F5000 over the next six years.

And foreboding:

Max and I were vying for a front row grid position and I was on a hot lap when I came down the straight and saw him coming out of the pits on new tyres. Like I was, I knew he’d be going hard. As I turned through the corner at the end of the straight I had to go wide for a car going slowly on the inside, then out of the corner Vern Schuppan was going even more slowly on the outside.
I remember thinking to myself as I considered the gap between the two slow cars closing like that, “I hope Max sees them.”

I'm very happy with the content of the book. I would have liked more, but there's well over a thousand photos, the pages are near 400 and if you kept on trying to get everyone and everything into it there would never be a book.

#6527 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 829 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 20:32

Good stuff Ray! Obviously a fair bit of KB in there...... You have to take your hat off to Tony, its been a huge undertaking. I'm sure it will be a big seller.

#6528 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,178 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 21:55

A glimpse... a word picture...

Or two...

Or three:

A further touch of reality:

And more:

Yet more!

And foreboding:

I'm very happy with the content of the book. I would have liked more, but there's well over a thousand photos, the pages are near 400 and if you kept on trying to get everyone and everything into it there would never be a book.

Bloody hell just ordered,took me longer to fill out the various forms then it would to do the valve timing on my K3. :kiss:

Edited by Lola5000, 09 February 2012 - 21:55.

#6529 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,411 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 23:11

Originally posted by ellrosso
Good stuff Ray! Obviously a fair bit of KB in there...... You have to take your hat off to Tony, its been a huge undertaking. I'm sure it will be a big seller.

No... no KB in there...

This is KB:

Employing what I had learned the past couple of years with HU1, I changed the wing arrangement for better grip. In the process we had to address the location of the radiators and in the time we had just plopped them near the rear bulkhead, not a pretty sight I must admit, but to get the handling spot-on first was the order of the day. Pretty would come later.

But this never came to pass. In a Sandown Gold Star race I had the right rear wheel collapse while entering the bridge turn, in a high third gear, throwing me into the catch fencing at a great rate of knots. No doubt the fencing arrested my speed, but not sufficiently to prevent the abrupt stop against the abutment scuttling the poor BT43 and bending my body in a few places.

One thing I have to say about that crash was the devotion and bravery of the marshals attending the scene, since the race was only a few laps old and those cars carried enough fuel for a 165KM race, the broken tub was like a bomb ready to go off. One “firey” in particular, planted himself above me where the air box had been minutes ago, feet each side of the smoking engine and whilst the crash crew were cutting the car apart to extract me, leant down an said to me “Don’t worry Kev, I’m staying, and if she goes I'll drag you out no matter what” as he grabbed my fire suit lift tabs.

You might guess who this is from:

I realise now how limited my own knowledge was about how to go racing. I had mostly raced Porsches and had virtually never tried to develop the cars further. The factory said, ‘do this’, you did it, and then just drove the car. I had a lot to learn with the F5000; camber, caster, sway bars, spring rates, wing adjustments; change one and you needed to look at all the others again. Racing the 5000 was also an experience in cost that I had not really considered before. Of course the ‘normal expenses’ were still the same. Travel, accommodation etc, but the big change was maintenance.
Whereas with my Porsches you might consider having a look at the engine once a year, and similarly the transmission, with the 5000 after every race everything needed to checked and, in some instances, frequently replaced. On the positive side, I’d found the McLaren relatively easy to drive. There was an abundance of power available at any time, whereas in my 2-litre Porsches you had to be very precise and not wash off speed that would take time to regain. My 911 was 50% heavier than the McLaren with only 40% of the power.

What about this one?

Niel Allen was and remains my hero. When I started my career in 1969. Niel was the most determined driver that I have ever seen. His exploits against Frank Matich left a great impression on me when I was a spectator. My only regret is that I never met or knew him until long after both he and I retired. I still cannot understand how such an aggressive driver could have such a gentlemanly personality. In my opinion Niel grew horns when he got into a race car. If he was a race horse they would have to swab him to make sure that he was the same horse.

Edited by Ray Bell, 10 February 2012 - 00:06.

#6530 Wirra

Wirra

• 917 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 23:54

I'm sure this book will generate a fair amount of comment; perhaps it should have its own thread.

#6531 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,178 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:17

No... no KB in there...

This is KB:

You might guess who this is from:

What about this one?

I'd say Warwick Brown.

#6532 yasmin

yasmin

• 70 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 22:52

powerful stuff, can't wait to get my copy.

#6533 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,178 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 22:55

Ray,I've ordered a copy and spread the word.
Is there much content re races and chassis?

#6534 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 829 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:53

I think your right re WB, Lola5000 (should have remembered that....) and must be Alan Hamilton re the Porsches. I really thought that was KB re Calder and Max Stewart. Are you going to enlighten us Ray or do we have to wait for the book?

#6535 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,411 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:44

Graeme Lawrence is quoted twice in all of this...

Quite correctly the Alan Hamilton and the second Warwick Brown quotes have been nominated. There are also quotes from Niel Allen and John McCormack.

One of the things I aimed to do was to let the contributors roam free with their thoughts. This takes them off on different tangents and into areas not often covered in publications such as this. Their emotional responses have pleased me greatly.

Some of their stories are quite perfunctionary, one initially bordered on self-serving until I asked for a bit of a rewrite. Some are flimsly, more go deep into the subject. Rob Newman's account of the 'behind the scenes' of John Walker's 1979 season recalls what those times were like very well. It also enables the character of the contributors to shine through.

The technical side is not delved into in great depth. I don't believe we had the room to do this, and while it might disappoint a few it will be sufficient for the greater number.

#6536 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 617 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 23:53

And remember folks, we can relive the F5000s at Phillip Island and Albert Park next month. Can't wait.

Bruce Moxon

Edited by brucemoxon, 11 February 2012 - 23:53.

#6537 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,178 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:21

Graeme Lawrence is quoted twice in all of this...

Quite correctly the Alan Hamilton and the second Warwick Brown quotes have been nominated. There are also quotes from Niel Allen and John McCormack.

One of the things I aimed to do was to let the contributors roam free with their thoughts. This takes them off on different tangents and into areas not often covered in publications such as this. Their emotional responses have pleased me greatly.

Some of their stories are quite perfunctionary, one initially bordered on self-serving until I asked for a bit of a rewrite. Some are flimsly, more go deep into the subject. Rob Newman's account of the 'behind the scenes' of John Walker's 1979 season recalls what those times were like very well. It also enables the character of the contributors to shine through.

The technical side is not delved into in great depth. I don't believe we had the room to do this, and while it might disappoint a few it will be sufficient for the greater number.

Ray,any of JW's behind the tent scenes were he soughted a few out? or the time he parked the truck at Sandown and would not unload till the starting money was confirmed?

#6538 Piquet959

Piquet959

• 89 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:48

in my earlier post about Michael Stupkas Citroen having a Group C log book i was wrong.
It was raced in the Group period, as was my Skyline, but didn't have a group c log book.
It does have a COD and is raced in Nc.

cheers
peter sneddon

#6539 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,411 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:14

Originally posted by Lola5000
Ray,any of JW's behind the tent scenes were he sorted a few out? or the time he parked the truck at Sandown and would not unload till the starting money was confirmed?

No...

But one story about him helping a scrutineer to understand that his measuring of his wing's height was incorrect!

Advertisement

#6540 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 00:18

And remember folks, we can relive the F5000s at Phillip Island and Albert Park next month. Can't wait.

Bruce Moxon

Bruce unfortunately the F5000's don't get a berth at the AGP this year. The substitute's are Group C & A tin-top races.

Edited by kevinbartlett, 13 February 2012 - 00:20.

#6541 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,178 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:11

Bruce unfortunately the F5000's don't get a berth at the AGP this year. The substitute's are Group C & A tin-top races.

I guess they don't want the 5 litre cars upstaging the V8 Taxi cabs.

#6542 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,240 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:16

Maybe you should do a deal with David Bowden and have a run in the Camaro!! A crowd favorite for sure.

#6543 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,339 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:19

A few pages back we talked about some of these guys at Oran Park .
Unknown Copyright.

Posted Image

#6544 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 617 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:47

Yeah, well a one-week turnaround is a big ask for an F5000 - after all, they do need a bit of maintaining, right Kev?

Bruce Moxon

#6545 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:07

They used to run at weekly intervals back in the day, and still do in NZ today

#6546 NZALPA

NZALPA

• 65 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:32

They used to run at weekly intervals back in the day, and still do in NZ today

Yep, you are quite right Dave.

Just completed three in a row in Kiwiland and 15 F5000's are on the water tomorrow from Christchurch to PI.

The F5000's will be back at Albert Park in few years........... They have a few years off for good behaviour.

#6547 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 00:39

Yep, you are quite right Dave.

Just completed three in a row in Kiwiland and 15 F5000's are on the water tomorrow from Christchurch to PI.

The F5000's will be back at Albert Park in few years........... They have a few years off for good behaviour.

In the period turn around time for 8 races straight, with no break, was always done with ease. We all knew the pattern so preparation with adequate spares and proven crew members who were never afraid of a few all-nighters saw nearly all teams make races. :)

#6548 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 00:42

Yeah, well a one-week turnaround is a big ask for an F5000 - after all, they do need a bit of maintaining, right Kev?

Bruce Moxon

Not really Bruce. Maintenance was very straight-forward. Remember, the majority of teams were fully professional.

#6549 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 617 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:58

Not really Bruce. Maintenance was very straight-forward. Remember, the majority of teams were fully professional.

Oh, thanks for that. I always had the impression that they were terribly maintenance-intensive and brittle.

But then, the only person whom I've really discussed was John Goss, so that should have been a warning.

BM

#6550 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:49

Oh, thanks for that. I always had the impression that they were terribly maintenance-intensive and brittle.

But then, the only person whom I've really discussed was John Goss, so that should have been a warning.

BM

:rotfl: