Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8965 replies to this topic

#6651 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 641 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:37

Does anyone remember a Morris '10' being raced in Appendix 'J' Touring Cars, in the early '60s? I think it was driven by Alan Hemsley [spelling?].

The car was quick, and well driven.....I remember watching it going around The Causeway at W. Farm, with the body at a frightening angle. The beam-axle, however, kept the front wheels where they ought to be, and [considering the car's age] it 'hung on' very well.

There was probably some MG influence in the engine dept., judging by the way it went. Was the car red? Anyone have a photo?

Greg the more I think about this car the more I am inclined to think it may have been an MG Y Sedan, the reason I say this is that the MG Y had inbuilt Hydraulic Jacks in the car & I am sure that I saw it in the pits jacked up while it was being worked on, but then my mind has problems remembering 50 years past, getting old is a S##T.

Advertisement

#6652 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:55

Morris 10, not MG Y
My recollection is similar to those above -- an impressive performer
I seem to recall it fell over at the bend before Pit Straight at Warwick Farm when A N Other did something untidy in front of Allan Hemsley who needed to be as usual concentrating on the bit of tar immediately in front of the front wheels, so was caught by surprise by A N Other's antics.

#6653 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,809 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:07

Yes John, it was a Morris 10, however I also remember an MG WHY :lol: with the in-built jacks, Dan. Weren't they wind-up, rather than hydraulic?

Now you mention it, John, I do recall it being damaged.......maybe that's when it got to be painted red?

#6654 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,288 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:54

You're not confusing things, are you Greg?

You didn't get Sharpy's 6/90 mixed up in your poor addled brain?

I'm still trying to remember where Allan Hemsley's name came up more recently...

#6655 johnny yuma

johnny yuma

• 928 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:01

The MG-Y jacks were indeed hydraulic,controlled under-bonnet.
The MG-Y was independent front suspension,so the car described as beam axle at Warwick Farm was prob a 10.

Trivia,the 10 was assembled in India as Hindustan 10,and briefly in the mid 1930s in England had a 1.4 litre 6 option.

#6656 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,809 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:23

Ray, it is unlikely that even I would confuse a 6/90 with a Morris 10 [or MG-Y, for that matter]. The MG-Y that I saw was probably at one of those AARC 'club' days, run on the short circuit. Was it a Wolseley that had the in-built wind-up jacks?

Thinking about these 'Pommie' saloons reminds me of a couple more. Anyone remember Frank Hann, and the Mk V Jaguar, or Nervo Shatterini [Dan Macfarlane], 2.5 Riley?

#6657 Stinky

Stinky

• 105 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:02

Hullo Greg;
I remember Frank Hann's Jaguar on Foley's Hill when I was a young bloke.
A downright beast of a thing!!
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the powerplant in it a WW2 American Army Chev 3 or 4 ton truck engine??
One of the original sports sedans :lol:
Cheers.
Roger. :D

#6658 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,809 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:42

I think you are right about the truck engine, Roger. Bit like a Healey...... or a TR, with a tractor engine :lol:

#6659 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,288 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:10

For the pleasure and edification of readers, I am promised photos and more information on the Morris 10 within a week or so...

It was always, except when in primer, Hawthorn Green. And the driver preferred racing at Oran Park to Warwick Farm, his racing was done in 1962 and (mostly) 1963, after which he retired to marital bliss.

Advertisement

#6660 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,809 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:19

You're a champion, Ray.....can't wait to see the photos. :clap:

#6661 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 641 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:51

Hullo Greg;
I remember Frank Hann's Jaguar on Foley's Hill when I was a young bloke.
A downright beast of a thing!!
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the powerplant in it a WW2 American Army Chev 3 or 4 ton truck engine??
One of the original sports sedans :lol:
Cheers.
Roger. :D

Frank Hann Mk V Jaguar.......with all that bulk and those poor drum brakes and agricultural gearbox plus very primitive circuits, it must have been a handful..always seem to run about midfield

There are special moments in Motor Racing that only happen every so often, to me one of those moments was watching Frank Hann competing in his Jag durind the early 1960's at Silverdale Hillclimb, not an under 40 sec run but quite competive in his class, a moment in time.

When the Jag was on the start line at Silverdale it appeared that it had allready crossed the finish line, it was not a small car.

#6662 Eshe

Eshe

• 118 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:47

I found some of my old 110 negatives which were marked as Oran Park 19th September 1976. Probably the first meeting I ever attended. Apologies for the quality but all I had was an instamatic in those days.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6663 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,288 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:54

Looks like Leffler (or Stewart?) leading Goss and Allison in the F5000 pic...

And the poor old Traco being under-used in BP. Not sure about the identity of the Mini, but if you know what the meeting date was I could probably find a mention in the report.

#6664 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,066 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:45

Hullo All;
From memory Allen Hemsley's Morris 10 was either black or a very dark blue.
You used to see it a lot around the Seaforth and French's Forest area of Sydney.
Would think he lived in that area.
It was a real surprise packet and for what it was it went like stink!!
Can remember him coming round Homestead at the Farm one meeting full bore with the biggest handfull of opposite lock that I had ever seen. :clap:
Around the streets though it was driven in a fashion that would make you think the pilot was your maiden Aunt!! :lol:
Cheers.
Roger.

Anyone remember the late Friday/Saturday night runs by a guy in a openwheeler, complete with helmet,across the Roseville bridge and back again to disappear in the back streets of French's Forest. We saw him 2 or 3 times on our way home from the Newport Arms or the Antler around the late 1960's or early 70's,he had a bit of a cult following in the local car clubs but no one seemed to know who he was or what model/make of car.

#6665 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:15

Warwick Farm July 1972
Posted Image

Oran Park January or February 1972
Posted Image

Now it looks like Lyn Brown!!

Also, note the wider tyres/flares at the Farm & the modifications to the bonnet,
& the grill & some major paintwork differences...
so, is it the same car?

#6666 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:22

Some other shots from that Oran Park night meeting....practice obviously.

Wayne Rogerson
Posted Image

Norm Beechey
Posted Image

Barry Sharp
Posted Image

#6667 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,288 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:50

Lynton, I would say it's the same car for Lyn Brown...

There is an outside chance the Warwick Farm pic is Bruce Taylor, but I don't think so. I think the driver's window is simply too much of an impediment for Lyn to get his head down on that side.

#6668 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 13:21

Oran Park 27th June 1970 Gold Star Meeting Support Race Series Production
Late in the day, the light was poor, or I was rooting around with low shutter speeds, so the photos are very ordinary.

Fred Gibson is ahead of Leo Geoghegan....up to a point...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by lyntonh, 01 March 2012 - 13:23.

#6669 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 829 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 20:38

Like that one about Lyn Brown Ray! Very good.... He's buggered now in his Historic Falcon with the seat belts they have these days - can't move an inch. I watched him at the last big Eastern Creek meeting too - bolt upright. I used to wonder how he could see out the windscreen on some corners.....

#6670 seldo

seldo

• 1,628 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:57

Warwick Farm July 1972
Posted Image

Oran Park January or February 1972
Posted Image

Now it looks like Lyn Brown!!

Also, note the wider tyres/flares at the Farm & the modifications to the bonnet,
& the grill & some major paintwork differences...
so, is it the same car?

There's a lot of differences that I can see that would suggest it's two different cars.
Roof paint - 91 has a cross on the roof, 99 has a chequered scheme
Bonnet shape is different
Bonnet straps - different spacing, and 2 straps/4straps
Body shell - 91 has roof drip rails and front and rear guard seams, 99 doesn't
Front brake vents different sizes
99 has prominent Weber box inside screen
Roll-bar brace evident inside 99's screen
Flares/wheels of course
And no grille and prominent large oil cooler on 99
...Nah...91 isn't Lynn...imho...

Edited by seldo, 02 March 2012 - 03:41.

#6671 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,134 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:36

There's a lot of differences that I can see that would suggest it's two different cars.
Roof paint - 91 has a cross on the roof, 99 has a chequered scheme
Bonnet shape is different
Bonnet straps - different spacing, and 2 straps/4straps
Body shell - 91 has roof drip rails and front and rear guard seams, 99 doesn't
Front brake vents different sizes
99 has prominent Weber box inside screen
Roll-bar brake evident inside 99's screen
Flares/wheels of course
And no grille and prominent large oil cooler on 99
...Nah...91 isn't Lynn...imho...

Possibilty that 99 is that Rooster......Mal Brewster :)

#6672 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 613 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:08

Well it says 'Jack Hayward Smash Repairs' on the car, so I'm going to vote for Lyn Brown for the 99.

#91? Could be the same car - removing the body seams / gutters and grille wouldn't be a big job. The roof looks like it might have the same chequered flag look and the guard flares are different, sure. But the wheel size looks about the same. Remember, these Sports Sedans were in a constant state of being developed, so the few months between the photos could have endless differences.

Bruce Moxon

#6673 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:12

Well it says 'Jack Hayward Smash Repairs' on the car, so I'm going to vote for Lyn Brown for the 99.

#91? Could be the same car - removing the body seams / gutters and grille wouldn't be a big job. The roof looks like it might have the same chequered flag look and the guard flares are different, sure. But the wheel size looks about the same. Remember, these Sports Sedans were in a constant state of being developed, so the few months between the photos could have endless differences.

Bruce Moxon

Only problem with that argument, is that the Farm photo is later than the Oran Park shot.

Now a whole new shell.....there's a possibility.

#6674 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,288 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:09

Bruce Taylor also raced for Jack Hayward...

It could be either, but I'm thinking it's Lyn. He could have had a major crash between the two meetings, these panel beaters do funny things.

#6675 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,147 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:53

Like that one about Lyn Brown Ray! Very good.... He's buggered now in his Historic Falcon with the seat belts they have these days - can't move an inch. I watched him at the last big Eastern Creek meeting too - bolt upright. I used to wonder how he could see out the windscreen on some corners.....

In the olden days race cars generally used standard seats.With a 3 point race harness,, maybe. These days everyone uses proper race seats and 5 or 6 point harnesses and those antics are impossible. Though most drivers heads are still moving plenty.
I did over 2 years of rallycross in the late 70s with such equipment, I am buggered if I know how I drove the car!

#6676 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:52

Mal Brewster Oran Park 21st May 1972
Posted Image

#6677 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,288 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:58

Mal Brewster?

3-point race harness? Oh, do you mean that the two shoulder straps mounted in one place on the rear parcel shelf?

#6678 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,147 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:35

Mal Brewster?

3-point race harness? Oh, do you mean that the two shoulder straps mounted in one place on the rear parcel shelf?

Yeah, three point harness went to a Y behind the driver then back to parcel shelf or other places. They even made them in 3", I can rememer them in a GpA that I crewed on inthe late 80s.

#6679 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:41

Various shots of the confirmed Lynn Brown car.

Oran Park 8th August 1971

Posted Image

Posted Image
Looks like the quick way through was to get a late apex & some opposite lock.

Posted Image

Now a month or so later (19th September 1971) & he's still dicing with the same car!!
Now take a look at the flares on the guards....they're different between August & September.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
If you look closely, he's added a driver's name sign on the front guard since the earlier race!

Warwick Farm practice 12th February 1972
Posted Image

Oran Park 26th May 1972
Posted Image

Advertisement

#6680 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:44

Mal Brewster?

I got a Brewster in a mini around that time, so I've gone with "Mal" as he suggested.....
could be his cousin Egbert for all I know.....

#6681 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:49

About Lynn Brown's car...in the Oran Park photos...
Is it just me, or am I seeing a wider & higher flare on the nearside front, over what appears to be a bigger tyre?

#6682 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,147 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:53

Various shots of the confirmed Lynn Brown car.

Oran Park 8th August 1971

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now a month or so later (19th September 1971) & he's still dicing with the same car!!
Now take a look at the flares on the guards....they're different between August & September.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
If you look closely, he's added a driver's name sign on the front guard since the earlier race!

Warwick Farm practice 12th February 1972
Posted Image

Oran Park 26th May 1972
Posted Image

All those pics of that Mini over nearly a year and it has a bent bonnet in every pic.
That last pic is that Pete in the Porsche?
And whos FE is it?

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 02 March 2012 - 11:54.

#6683 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,324 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 22:42

[quote name='lyntonh' date='Mar 2 2012, 20:41' post='5560422'

I can not remember the driver of the FE ,however the left hand drive sure stands out to me even back then.

Posted Image

#6684 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 278 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 22:59

I think the FE driver is Bill Slattery. The car was built originally by Barry Sharp.

Dale.

#6685 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,324 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:16

Just looking up his detail and found this, he passed away only last week.RIP.
VALE BILL SLATTERY 1929-2012

It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Bill Slattery, President of the Wolseley Car Club of NSW, on Tuesday 21st of February at 8.00am.

Bill has been one of the great driving forces behind the NSW Wolseley Club for almost thirty years, and has served as President, Club Captain and Social Coordinator for many of those years.

Bill will be greatly missed by his many friends in the old car movement, both in Australia and in New Zealand.

Our thoughts are with his wife Sandra and family.

The funeral service will be held at 3pm, Tuesday 28 February 2012, at the West Chapel, Rookwood. The Club has agreed that members may drive their conditionally registered vehicles to and from Bill's funeral. Vehicles attending will be recorded by the Registrar in the Club’s movement book.

#6686 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:25

This is off topic I know.......but....

I carried an 8mm movie camera with me during the early seventies.

The films have been laying around since then.

Today I picked up a projector second hand.

I couldn't resist trying to video some & to see how it would look posted on the net.

So, here is my first test sample from Oran Park in 1970.

Scratchy, brief, wobbly & amateurish.....& with that mandatory bit of fluff hanging from the top,
considering I simply projected it on the wall in the office & pointed my HD video camera at it,
I reckon it's OK for a first try.

#6687 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:59

In this photo from 3rd January 1970, the name on the car is "Taylor".
Posted Image

#6688 Eshe

Eshe

• 118 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 13:12

I couldn't resist trying to video some & to see how it would look posted on the net.

Lynton,

Your movie clip is excellent, very nostalgic!

#6689 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 641 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 20:49

This is off topic I know.......but....

I carried an 8mm movie camera with me during the early seventies.

The films have been laying around since then.

Today I picked up a projector second hand.

Scratchy, brief, wobbly & amateurish.....& with that mandatory bit of fluff hanging from the top,
considering I simply projected it on the wall in the office & pointed my HD video camera at it,
I reckon it's OK for a first try.

Well done, how quick we forget the cars & drivers, Brock stands out as #1 then Bond in the Healey but the rest fade into the empty spaces that I call a brain.

#6690 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 278 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 21:15

That's Herb Taylor in the EH and Chris Strode in the FE. Not sure about the mini. Of course, Brock in the A30 and Ross Bond in the Healy. The left hand drive Falcon looks like one of the many cars that Barry Sharp built.
Dale.

#6691 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,147 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 23:33

That's Herb Taylor in the EH and Chris Strode in the FE. Not sure about the mini. Of course, Brock in the A30 and Ross Bond in the Healy. The left hand drive Falcon looks like one of the many cars that Barry Sharp built.
Dale.

The l/h drive Falcon may have ended up in Adelaide. IF it had a Webered 170 ci engine it was raced here for several years.

#6692 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 278 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 00:15

No. It had a V8.

Dale.

#6693 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 613 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:07

No. It had a V8.

Dale.

Was that the Ray Morris Faltang maybe?

Bruce Moxon

#6694 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,134 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:16

In this photo from 3rd January 1970, the name on the car is "Taylor".
Posted Image

Info from Team Party House re 21 and 99 Mini:

Hi Mick, They are 2 different cars. Look carefully, They look similar. Car 99 is the earlier car & based on an 850 body, I'm not sure who it was sold to, But I thought it was wrecked. The newer car, even though heavier, was based on a Cooper S body. This was sold, I'm sure to Terry Daley who rolled it at the Amaroo loop the first time he raced it.

PS from Mick...not hard to deseam a Mini at all...and adding flare extensions to acomodate fatter wheels was also rife...

#6695 Wirra

Wirra

• 916 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:49

... The left hand drive Falcon looks like one of the many cars that Barry Sharp built.
Dale.

Posted Image

#6696 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,147 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:08

Was that the Ray Morris Faltang maybe?

Bruce Moxon

The Faltang was an XP coupe.

#6697 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,147 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:12

Info from Team Party House re 21 and 99 Mini:

Hi Mick, They are 2 different cars. Look carefully, They look similar. Car 99 is the earlier car & based on an 850 body, I'm not sure who it was sold to, But I thought it was wrecked. The newer car, even though heavier, was based on a Cooper S body. This was sold, I'm sure to Terry Daley who rolled it at the Amaroo loop the first time he raced it.

PS from Mick...not hard to deseam a Mini at all...and adding flare extensions to acomodate fatter wheels was also rife...

The 33 and 55 Mini all seem to be the same driver and car. Bent bonnet, open face helmet etc. The wheels and tyres just kept getting bigger as they did in that period.

#6698 Wirra

Wirra

• 916 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:27

The Faltang was an XP coupe.

Posted Image

IIRC this has all been discussed before on the 'Aussie Sports Sedans' thread.

#6699 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,288 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 20:45

"Faltang"? It was never called that at the time!

And Mick, we explained on the previous page that Bruce Taylor's car was not the Lyn Brown car.

And the Porsche enquired about is Bill Brown.

Advertisement

#6700 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 21:14

"Faltang"? It was never called that at the time!

And Mick, we explained on the previous page that Bruce Taylor's car was not the Lyn Brown car.

And the Porsche enquired about is Bill Brown.

But we've got photos of the "gutterless" car with both Taylor & Brown driving, so I think Mick's
query to Team Partyhouse was good.

It seems, as we speculated earlier, that the 850 bodied car was being changed constantly,
but that they eventually decided on a new shell & used a Cooper S.

It seems obvious that they altered the paint scheme, so that if they ran both cars together,
they could be identified quickly by seeing the differing roof pattern, a bit like Mansell's red nose.

Edited by lyntonh, 04 March 2012 - 21:15.