Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8714 replies to this topic

#6801 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,146 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 22:01

What I could have said that Harvey raced it as an R C Phillips entry in late 1965 with what was presumably the ex-Stillwell twincam, then during the 1966 season increased it to a 1650, and in 1967 ran it at 1860, then finally put in the Repco V8 - all the while under the R C Phillips banner. Jane then took it over for the early 1968 races, still with Repco V8, and still with Harvey as driver

spot on years latter Stillwell owned it as a historic group M car.

Advertisement

#6802 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,563 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 22:27

What I could have said that Harvey raced it as an R C Phillips entry in late 1965 with what was presumably the ex-Stillwell twincam, then during the 1966 season increased it to a 1650, and in 1967 ran it at 1860, then finally put in the Repco V8 - all the while under the R C Phillips banner. Jane then took it over for the early 1968 races, still with Repco V8, and still with Harvey as driver

There's a strong chance that it's at the Dec 28, 1966 South Australian Tourist Trophy meeting.

#6803 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,740 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 23:49

Originally posted by David McKinney

First race for Harvey, IIRC, was at Lakeside in November 1965... in a support race for the Australian Tourist Trophy...

Ron Phillips had taken delivery of the car (undoubtedly put it onto his trailer at Calder after the October 24 Calder meeting. Up until that time, Stillwell had led a somewhat charmed life, aided and abetted by a very strong engine I am sure, in the car.

From this distance it would appear that Stillwell had made his mind up to go out with a fistful of titles. The Joseph Lucas-Lex Davison series at Calder was one target, the ANF1½ title as well as the Gold Star. There's no doubt he was to use the little Brabham as a less-expensive tool to get a lot of racing and keep his eye in as he faced a fairly strong challenge from Martin in the Gold Star races.

I'm astounded as I look at the record here. He used an Elfin Mono to get his points rolling in the Lucas Davison series at Calder in January! Where did this come from? Is RCN incorrect in its listing of the car? Even the photo seems to point clearly to it being an Elfin Mono with its squared off tail section.

It was an expensive beginning to the year for him, if this was the case, as he failed to finish after tangling with Jane (more evidence that it was most likely a Mono, Jane was never to get near him in the Brabham).

There were three subsequent rounds where he simply drove into the distance, even when Leo Geoghegan arrived to chase him, but the final round saw him challenged seriously by Leo and I'd reckon he's over-revved it and bent a valve as it went fluffy on him and he dropped back. He won that series.

The ANF1½ title was a single race at Bathurst, Cusack damaged his car too badly when he encountered another sideways across the track around the blind Cutting and so it was left to Geoghegan to provide the competition. And Leo seriously looked like he would win, as he usually did without Bib around, but his engine went off with a few laps to run and Bib lucked into that title.

The next outing was at Warwick Farm in May. Bib loved the Farm and raced there whenever he could, but he was up against it that day. He was playing with kids who were quicker than him at this circuit and relied on his better start (well, Geoghegan missed a gear) and quicker run down the straight to have the front running. Cusack, on this most memorable day, went past him under brakes and spun. He then proceeded to make up the ten seconds he'd lost in about four laps, demolishing the lap record, but had to sit behind Geoghegan as Stillwell played a blocking game and won the race.

Another Farm race in September saw Cusack again spin trying to take the front running, while Geoghegan retired. Bib won again.

So, as I said, he led a kind of charmed life in this car before he sold it to Phillips. Peter Molloy took over the preparation and probably did it even better than Gerry Brown had done. If that is possible.

After Lakeside and the Hordern Trophy (fourth outright, a steady run) ran it through the Tasman Cup races and on through the year as a 1.5-litre, finally clinching the ANF1½ title (for the first time a series) at Sandown in October, his position having been almost assured at the Mallala Gold Star/ANF1½ round when he won easily with no 2.5-litre cars present (Martin had already sewn up the Gold Star and SA was an expensive outing with little exposure).

It was out to 1650cc for the Gold Star final rounds at Symmons Plains and Warwick Farm, filling a second behind Cusack at the former and fourth at the Farm.

The ultimate gouging of the Ford block to 1860cc gave him a chance to run in company with slower International drivers in the Tasman Cup races as he awaited the arrival of the Repco V8 for the '67 Gold Star series.

Actually, David, he didn't run this car with the Jane team. The Hordern Trophy of 1967 saw him in the Brabham Climax. This car then got the Repco V8 treatment.

Of interest is the fact that the Phillips Repco engine was traded by Jane at some point and became the John McCormack Elfin 600's engine.

#6804 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,740 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 00:17

Originally posed by SJ Lambert
There's a strong chance that it's at the Dec 28, 1966 South Australian Tourist Trophy meeting.

Sorry, it was the previous meeting in October, both cars were present then.

#6805 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,740 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 00:32

I wouldn't have bothered Dan, other than that we do like to keep things straight here. There are people named 'Marsh' so it was important to ensure that others didn't think you were talking about someone who doesn't exist.

As to the issue of the Jag vs the 275LM in Buchanan's hands...

Interesting stuff to look at the two cars each time they ran at Warwick Farm in '66.

Jane drove the Jag there in February, diced with Pete Geoghegan in the Lola 1220 (with wide wheels) and had to be lapping around 1:44s as that's what Pete did.

The Jag was absent from the May meeting, when Buchanan arrived and did a 1:46.1 in practice. His time in the race is not reported. Other practice (and race) times at that meeting are somewhat important as they give a clue about the relative condition of the circuit for the meeting of the LM and the Jaguar. Bartlett did 1:43.6 in practice and 1:43.9 in the race in the GTZ2, Fred Gibson did a 1:45.4 in his Elan in practice

For the September meeting, when both the LM and the Jag were contesting the Country Club GT race over fifteen laps, Gibson practised in 1:46.7, Buchanan (despite greater familiarity with the car...) in 1:45.8 and Bartlett in 1:45.3. Niel allen had pole in 1:44.4 and Martin was second on the grid with a 1:45.1.

In short, it's obvious that the Farm was having one of its slow days. This was usually blamed on silt on the track from flooding etc. If one looks at the times of the 2.5s we don't see such dramatic lap speed drops, but these cars would have been subject to greater improvement in their tyres in those times.

The report on the race says that 'Buchanan flew down the straight and drew level with Martin' the first time into Creek Corner. This means he passed both Bartlett and Allen down the straight, which was entered at high speed and was half a mile long. He didn't manage to pass Martin there and made another attempt at Polo, which was approached from the slow Causeway double corner and was a slow corner itself. Perhaps he was able to wind it up over the Causeway to overcome the lack of torque Spencer mentions?

He failed in this bid and lost out badly as Allen and Bartlett went past. After that he was a spent force in the race.

To my way of thinking the jury is out on the reality of what Spencer had to say. He was undoubtedly a better driver than Andy Buchanan and possibly was still settling scores in this race and in his thinking about this race.

Where did the comment come from?

#6806 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,563 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:54

Sorry, it was the previous meeting in October, both cars were present then.

Quite right, the roll of film from which they're lifted features the Bassett Elfin 400 without it's completed paint job, by the December meeting it had been finished off. I can't find a race report in RCN for the October meeting......

#6807 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 565 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:40

Jane drove the Jag there in February, diced with Pete Geoghegan in the Lola 1220 (with wide wheels) and had to be lapping around 1:44s as that's what Pete did.

It was at this Meeting that Pete in the Lola outbraked Jane in the Jag at Creek corner only to have 2 new cooling holes in the front of the Lola nose from the exhaust pipes of the Jag.

#6808 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,146 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:46

It was at this Meeting that Pete in the Lola outbraked Jane in the Jag at Creek corner only to have 2 new cooling holes in the front of the Lola nose from the exhaust pipes of the Jag.

any idea were the Lola is now?

#6809 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:37

I don't recall Geoghegan racing a Lola. If it was the ex-Veloce Mk1, it's been in Ingerland these past dozen years or so

#6810 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,146 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:52

I don't recall Geoghegan racing a Lola. If it was the ex-Veloce Mk1, it's been in Ingerland these past dozen years or so

typo error perhaps Lotus 23?

#6811 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,563 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:34

Quite right, the roll of film from which they're lifted features the Bassett Elfin 400 without it's completed paint job, by the December meeting it had been finished off. I can't find a race report in RCN for the October meeting.....

Posted Image

The E-Type and Harvey Brabham can both be made out, just, in the background. At the October meeting someone may have had a Lotus 27 as there was a trailer there having housed one.

Edited by SJ Lambert, 17 April 2012 - 11:09.

#6812 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,740 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:42

Originally posted by SJ Lambert
Quite right, the roll of film from which they're lifted features the Bassett Elfin 400 without it's completed paint job, by the December meeting it had been finished off. I can't find a race report in RCN for the October meeting...

Are you ready to kick yourself?

It's from P34 of the November issue...

David, it was the ex-McKay Lola. When Frank Demuth bought the Geoghegan 23B he traded the Lola on it. That was immediately after the race at Lakeside in November, straight into the trailer, no mucking around.

He traded in the Lola he'd bought from John Martin. In an effort to attract interest in the car, Pete drove it at that one Warwick Farm meeting, it was painted a bright lemon/yellow colour and he practised it without the tail section on. This was because the bodywork still hadn't been finished, they had fitted wider wheels to the car and some bulging had to be done to cover the new wheels.

I'm not so sure about the 'cooling holes' Dan mentioned, I certainly don't remember seeing them. But the surprise was that Pete couldn't match Martin's record despite the wider wheels.

Bert Howard bought the car after that meeting.

#6813 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 13:44

David, it was the ex-McKay Lola. When Frank Demuth bought the Geoghegan 23B he traded the Lola on it. That was immediately after the race at Lakeside in November, straight into the trailer, no mucking around....

He traded in the Lola he'd bought from John Martin. In an effort to attract interest in the car, Pete drove it at that one Warwick Farm meeting, it was painted a bright lemon/yellow colour and he practised it without the tail section on. This was because the bodywork still hadn't been finished, they had fitted wider wheels to the car and some bulging had to be done to cover the new wheels.
... But the surprise was that Pete couldn't match Martin's record despite the wider wheels...

Doesn't surprise me - Marto was a very talented steerer

#6814 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,740 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 23:01

So was Pete, of course...

But Johnny Martin lived with that car for some time, he perfected its performance and brought his times down repeatedly. One of the unsung greats, a real shame he never got to show himself in the 23B.

#6815 john medley

john medley

• 1,157 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 23:44

That battle delighted spectators that day, I recall. And yes, talented drivers both, IGeoghegan and John Martin

David McKinney , may I ask about "ex Veloce Lola Mk in England"? One came to Australia for David McKay, later was copied by Hedley Thompson ( which one has the original chassis?), and there was a third I think. The first two are still in Australia, and still race... so "ex Veloce Lola Mk 1 in England"?

#6816 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:00

David, it was the ex-McKay Lola. When Frank Demuth bought the Geoghegan 23B he traded the Lola on it. That was immediately after the race at Lakeside in November, straight into the trailer, no mucking around.

Bert Howard bought the car after that meeting.

Not quite. The McKay Martin Demuth Geoghegan Lola was first sold to Don Gorringe in Tasmania, who entered and raced it at (I think without being able to check at moment) 1966 12 hour race at Surfers Paradise with his mate Dick Crawford as co-driver. In fact I think Dick did most of the driving as he was faster than Gorringe. It retired from that race. Gorringe/Crawford raced it only once (I may stand corrected on that) in Tasmania, at Baskerville, before it was then sold to Bert Howard, who needed a replacement for his Monza Holden (Batmobile) after it was badly damaged in a trailer accident going home from Longford in 1967. Howard raced the Lola at Longford in 1968.

This car was restored and run in historics in Australia, in SV colours (Kerry Luckins name comes to mind??) went through a couple of other owners and then sold to UK as mentioned in other posts. The Lolas currently in Australia are not the ex SV McKay car.

Rob Saward

Edited by austmcreg, 18 April 2012 - 03:05.

#6817 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:21

David McKinney , may I ask about "ex Veloce Lola Mk in England"? One came to Australia for David McKay, later was copied by Hedley Thompson ( which one has the original chassis?), and there was a third I think. The first two are still in Australia, and still race... so "ex Veloce Lola Mk 1 in England"?

I may have fallen into the trap of believing what I saw, and what I was told. When the car first appeared in Europe in 1999 it was in SV colours and, IIRC, with the names of McKay and Cusack on the side. I believe - but could be wrong - that it also had a plate calling it BR15, which was the c/number of the car first raced by McKay.

Not knowing of any Hedley Thompson copies, I didn't delve any deeper. Perhaps I should have?

#6818 john medley

john medley

• 1,157 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:57

David
.... but see Rob Saward's post above.(maybe I am the one out of step)

Only last week the current owner of the Hedley Thompson copy told me he has the original chassis and the original has the Hedley Thompson copy chassis

So... what as the yellow car Bruce Roberts had in South Australia?

#6819 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:32

Yes, I had seen that. His run-down agrees with my information, which I probably gleaned from contemporary reports, David Pratley's book on the Lola Mk1 and John Blanden's

My notes don't mention Geoghegan or Gorringe, but after Martin and Demuth I do have Bert Howard (1967), then Kent Patrick (1970-73), Kerry Luckins (1974),Robbie Nicholls, SA (1983) and Ian McDonald (from 1994)

As I said, I wasn't aware of and cloning, so one or two of those names might apply to a copy

The Bruce Roberts car was allegedly built from spares in 'Northern Europe' in the 1970s, and has been with the Dymand family since 1995. Its no. is BR24, which is the same as the Chan Lye Choon Singapore car which later went to France. The timing of various ownerships suggest the two BR24s could be the same car

Advertisement

#6820 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,643 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:18

Not quite. The McKay Martin Demuth Geoghegan Lola was first sold to Don Gorringe in Tasmania, who entered and raced it at (I think without being able to check at moment) 1966 12 hour race at Surfers Paradise with his mate Dick Crawford as co-driver. In fact I think Dick did most of the driving as he was faster than Gorringe. It retired from that race. Gorringe/Crawford raced it only once (I may stand corrected on that) in Tasmania, at Baskerville, before it was then sold to Bert Howard, who needed a replacement for his Monza Holden (Batmobile) after it was badly damaged in a trailer accident going home from Longford in 1967. Howard raced the Lola at Longford in 1968.

This car was restored and run in historics in Australia, in SV colours (Kerry Luckins name comes to mind??) went through a couple of other owners and then sold to UK as mentioned in other posts. The Lolas currently in Australia are not the ex SV McKay car.

Rob Saward

from what I believe it is amazing that Dick Crawford could go that long without a cigarette! he used to smoke on the dummy grid in the 80s in his Vee.
A friend was a flaggy in Tassy and did dummy grid. He was a favorite and fairly individual as the story went.
These days with OHS it would never happen.

#6821 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:58

I should have added that while in Gorringe and Howard ownership the ex McKay SV Lola remained in the same yellow paint as mentioned earlier while with Geoghegan.

I dont have access to it at the moment but there is a 1966 issue of Tasmanian Motorist magazine with interview with Dick Crawford in which he talks about the Surfers 12 hour race in the Gorringe-owned Lola.

I reckon Lindsay Ross should be able to put his hands on a photo of the car during its Tasmanian time.

Dick Crawford certainly was a heavy smoker, and the pictures with the interview show him with one in hand.... He is still going too, well into his nineties.

Rob Saward

#6822 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 809 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:01

I couldn't imagine any of the officials at Baskerville putting the hard word on him either! Dickie was a real legend in Tassy, both on the track and on the water in speedboat racing. He was still racing well into his 60's and would occasionally outfox the handicapper for a race win. He came into our ORP display at Bask in 2004 with his daughter to have a squiz - on his walking frame, but still very keen and alert. Very quick in his prime and capable mechanic too. I can still picture him loading his little Trowjm 250cc into the back of his old FE ute in the pits at Bask circa 1968. Real character, fag in his mouth as you mention Lee....

#6823 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,740 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:06

Originally posted by David McKinney
.....which I probably gleaned from contemporary reports, David Pratley's book on the Lola Mk1 and John Blanden's

My notes don't mention Geoghegan or Gorringe.....

You surprise me there, David...

Surely you were devouring RCN along with all the other magazines from our side of the Tasman? There was a significant photo of it behind Demuth in the 23 and Jane in the Jag in the race report, while the report made plenty of mention of it all.

I would think, on reflection, that this was Pete Geoghegan's last ever race in an open car. Would that be right? He later drove the 23B in a private session, possibly other stuff as well, but did he race any open cars after February '66?

#6824 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:58

RCN was very hard to come by in NZ, and I had (have) very few copies before about 1968. And by that time SCW was giving less coverage to racing, IIRC

Also, my 'devouring' of Australian magazines eased once NZ got some decent publications of its own

#6825 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 809 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:52

A few shots of Dick Crawford and the Lola Mk1 in Bert Howard's hands from the late 60's. Hopefully the Crawford shots reflect his great enthusiasm for motorsport....
Amazing he's still kicking on after all those cigarettes!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Pushing to the flag at Symmons in the wet after the 250cc Yammie gave up the ghost.

#6826 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,706 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 21:34

A few shots of Dick Crawford and the Lola Mk1 in Bert Howard's hands from the late 60's. Hopefully the Crawford shots reflect his great enthusiasm for motorsport....
Amazing he's still kicking on after all those cigarettes!

Posted Image

What a wonderful photograph. :up:

#6827 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 565 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:24

Only last week the current owner of the Hedley Thompson copy told me he has the original chassis and the original has the Hedley Thompson copy chassis

What is the story behind all of this, why the switch of Chassis, seems odd to me.

#6828 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:25

What a wonderful photograph. :up:

Ellrosso, please correct me if I am wrong, but number 51 looks like Dick to me, with Gary Siepen (not sure where the initial R comes from?) in #59. Both the Trowjm (built by John Trowbridge with Dick Crawford input) and the Johnford (Vic Johnson and Dick Crawford) are spiritual successors to the JMW which Crawford raced for a number of years from 1959. All up there were three JMWs and at least three of the later successors in Tasmania.

I cannot see it here, but in his later Formula Vee days, Dick usually turned up in a shirt and tie, which he wore under his light blue racing overalls. A man of the old school from the days when a gentleman never left home without a tie!

Rob Saward

Edited by austmcreg, 19 April 2012 - 03:27.

#6829 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 565 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:00

The Thompson Ford, Lola Mk1 copy but with 1500cc pushrod Ford motor at Amaroo Park Historica Meeting in the mid 1990's, can anyone recoginise the driver.

Posted Image

#6830 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:01

Driver, Ray Kenny.

#6831 Geoff Smedley

Geoff Smedley

• 92 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:28

Ellrosso, please correct me if I am wrong, but number 51 looks like Dick to me, with Gary Siepen (not sure where the initial R comes from?) in #59. Both the Trowjm (built by John Trowbridge with Dick Crawford input) and the Johnford (Vic Johnson and Dick Crawford) are spiritual successors to the JMW which Crawford raced for a number of years from 1959. All up there were three JMWs and at least three of the later successors in Tasmania.

I cannot see it here, but in his later Formula Vee days, Dick usually turned up in a shirt and tie, which he wore under his light blue racing overalls. A man of the old school from the days when a gentleman never left home without a tie!

Rob Saward

I recon the 59 machine has Dicky's head and famous 'bone dome' riding with it while holding his mouth right at the same time.....Smed.

#6832 Geoff Smedley

Geoff Smedley

• 92 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:46

Thats right Smeds but of course there was one other car that entered the country in exactly the same way wasn't there? THE SABAKAT
Guy

Yes Guy, twaz Ern Tagell's industrial Lotus (Sabakat) also adapted to weekend racing, them's was the day's (No fairy's)

#6833 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,740 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:46

It really is a photo that needs a funny caption...

Posted Image

Who's going to go first?

#6834 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 809 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:30

Yes your right Geoff it is Dickie in No 59. I've posted some more pics of him on this post where you will see very similar facial expressions in each shot. He progresses from the pudding bowl to a black "jet" style, then onto an AGV with peak in the 70's.The goggles were obviously a favourite pair though. Rob - in 4 out of 5 programs in 1967 - 69 I have Dick in the Johnford. In 1970 we don't see the Johnford again and he takes over the Trowjm. Your right - it is Gary Siepen. I should have known that as he bought a print off one of David's slides from 1968 at Symmons - it is definitely Gary in the No 51. I well remember Dickie in his collar and tie - real classic old school!
I've put a few more shots of possible interest on as well. Not sure how many TNFr's go on the oldracephotos site but the server is down at the moment so apologies to anyone who is inconvenienced - hopefully it will be up and running in a day or so. Joys of computers!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
This Handicap was the race of the day for Dickie - he would always find that bit extra to try and fool the
Handicapper - Martin Chambers. He got a win on his sixty-something birthday doing that one year!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6835 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,706 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:47

Posted Image

Who's going to go first?

That's not quick, watch this!

#6836 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,659 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:36

Posted Image

That No 26 looks like a mini Modus F3 - amazing!

Edited by Stephen W, 19 April 2012 - 10:37.

#6837 launchpad

launchpad

• 95 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:38

I would think, on reflection, that this was Pete Geoghegan's last ever race in an open car. Would that be right? He later drove the 23B in a private session, possibly other stuff as well, but did he race any open cars after February '66?

Hi Ray,
At Catalina Park 1968, Pete was one of the invited drivers for a Formula Vee race.
These pics seem to indicate why he declined..............

Posted Image

Posted Image

........I think you may be right. But we agree this does not diminish his reputation or his skill.

copyright Rod Mmackenzie

#6838 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 601 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:06

Posted Image

Who's going to go first?

Curse you Peter Perfect. Nobody passes Dick Dastardly!

It's late. I'm tired.

BM

#6839 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,146 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:12

How good would have been Big Pete if he had lost a few stone in a F5000.

Advertisement

#6840 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 334 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:19

Posted Image

Who's going to go first?

Gromit has the nose in front but Wallace is snapping at his heels!

Posted Image

#6841 Levin68

Levin68

• 55 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:15

So, is Gary Siepen responsible for introducing the high nose that blights the current F1 monstrosities? Seriously though, this is a great photo.

#6842 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 00:36

Hi Ray,
At Catalina Park 1968, Pete was one of the invited drivers for a Formula Vee race.
These pics seem to indicate why he declined..............

Posted Image

........I think you may be right. But we agree this does not diminish his reputation or his skill.

copyright Rod Mmackenzie

Jack Bono on the left of the big fella

Edited by seldo, 20 April 2012 - 01:08.

#6843 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 483 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:20

Ellrosso, please correct me if I am wrong, but number 51 looks like Dick to me

That's what it looks like to me also.

#6844 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,643 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:00

Pete looks a bit squeezy in that Vee though some regulars always seem that squeezed. Some cars are bigger than others though though most open wheelers reward small drivers.

I was on the incident vehicle at AIR in the 70s at a relay race. The two of us on the back took one look at a Vee that needed towing in. I was the [then] skinnier one but got in sort of ok, but had a real trouble getting back out!

#6845 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,706 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:34

Jack Bono on the left of the big fella

Jack Bono was the NSW Elfin agent [that's an Elfin Vee 'Pete' is sitting in], and it was around then that I bought my Elfin Vee, chassis # 6821, from Jack.

#6846 chequer57

chequer57

• 267 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:41

Jack Bono was the NSW Elfin agent [that's an Elfin Vee 'Pete' is sitting in], and it was around then that I bought my Elfin Vee, chassis # 6821, from Jack.

Gee, I Would love to have a few more photos of Elfin Vee's in the pits, the Elfin Vee Pete is "sitting" in was the car driven by Larry Greenhalgh in 1968, it is one of the 3 1967 built Elfins that Jack owned at the time.

Regards,

Ian

#6847 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:31

Gee, I Would love to have a few more photos of Elfin Vee's in the pits, the Elfin Vee Pete is "sitting" in was the car driven by Larry Greenhalgh in 1968, it is one of the 3 1967 built Elfins that Jack owned at the time.

Regards,

Ian

I think "wearing" is a more appropriate term than "sitting in" ...;)

#6848 Wirra

Wirra

• 883 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:05

Gee, I Would love to have a few more photos of Elfin Vee's in the pits, the Elfin Vee Pete is "sitting" in was the car driven by Larry Greenhalgh in 1968, it is one of the 3 1967 built Elfins that Jack owned at the time. ...

Ian - I am absolutely chuffed about that being Larry's car as it was the first Elfin I owned... Same car but a world of difference in the ability of the two drivers. Great days...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6849 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,452 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:11

Posted Image

:up: Love your bottom photo, Wirra. Nothing cooler than a mixed team of the same colors.

#6850 launchpad

launchpad

• 95 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:18

Regards,

Ian

Hi Ian, I don't have any more shots in the pits, but here are a couple from the invitation race.
The start

Posted Image

and Leo and KB disputing positions
Posted Image

Hope these are acceptable. Maybe you can pick who else were in the vees.
Rod.

copyright Rod Mackenzie