Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
9018 replies to this topic

#7101 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,142 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 22:34

Are there any cars that would not have been available in Australia, but would have been available in Singapore or Malaya? Or vice versa? If so, it would narrow things down, but I think both were pretty well free markets.

Advertisement

#7102 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,485 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 23:38

All of those cars were available in Australia...

Several of them were assembled here, others made here in their entirety. The picture is certainly in Australia.

#7103 BMH Comic

BMH Comic

• 173 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 00:06

All of those cars were available in Australia...

Several of them were assembled here, others made here in their entirety. The picture is certainly in Australia.

I am sure you are quite correct with this Ray, The car park photo is Australia, complete with the gum trees. Looks horribly like most of the RAAF bases I got dragged to as a child. Cars left out the back of the car park with things shoved under them and against them whilst their owners were away on service in Singapore or Malaya. After a three - six month tour they flew back to Aust and drove the car back home and none too many left a good car there to rot in the sun. The front row of the car park was taken up by those who drove to work each day and they were new cars predominantly. Photo was taken from the control tower probably and the lake was the water supply for the airport. It has all of the haulmarks of a RAAf pilot! He was obviosly a motor sport fan and went to a race meeting in Asia and took the balance of the photos. All mixed up in the slide box after one too many slide nights.

#7104 seldo

seldo

• 1,633 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:29

I'd agree on both points there...

A40 Farina, but looking a bit out of place. And the hills could well be Canberra, which might mean Fairbairn or the airport.

That would readily account for the different numberplates too. But not the multitude of water ba... sorry, we don't see those, do we?

Certainly an A40 Farina I think. As for the "water-bags", I think they are actually blemishes on the photo. See the Peachy Zepyhr in the background - it seems to have them on the wheels, and the VW in the second row has a full array of hexagonal shapes across the front, and the grey 48-215 on the right in the 2nd row has them in strange places too. Also, check the Cortina on the right has them along the sill, and the R8 has it on the rear.

Edited by seldo, 23 August 2012 - 01:32.

#7105 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:38

I am sure you are quite correct with this Ray, The car park photo is Australia, complete with the gum trees. Looks horribly like most of the RAAF bases I got dragged to as a child. Cars left out the back of the car park with things shoved under them and against them whilst their owners were away on service in Singapore or Malaya. After a three - six month tour they flew back to Aust and drove the car back home and none too many left a good car there to rot in the sun. The front row of the car park was taken up by those who drove to work each day and they were new cars predominantly. Photo was taken from the control tower probably and the lake was the water supply for the airport. It has all of the haulmarks of a RAAf pilot! He was obviosly a motor sport fan and went to a race meeting in Asia and took the balance of the photos. All mixed up in the slide box after one too many slide nights.

I agree with you Tom. It's definitely not WA. The cars in the race shots never ran here and I've been at almost every race meeting held in WA since 1968. The terrain in the car park shots is also not like any region in WA I'm aware of, and I've seen most of it. Ken is also correct in that yellow plates were not issued here until the late 70's. When I registered my first car in 1978 I got yellow plates which prompted my brother, who had registered his only 12 months before and had white plates, to swap and get the next consecutive number - we both had 1967 Landcrabs (tragic I know! =D) identical in every respect except colour.

Haggis

#7106 rms

rms

• 112 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:08

If you stand on runway 30 at Canberra airport with Mt Ainslie on you right, the topography in the picture seems to be identical.
Not forgetting that Fairburn was a military base.

Erol

#7107 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:24

:confused: Why, why, why use A4 Landscape format - it won't fit on any normal bookshelf! :mad:

Mind you that doesn't mean I wouldn't like a copy. :)

Put it in the bookshelf with the spine upwards.... It's what I do. And if you're really anal, put a page tag in so you can see the title.

Going to Pitstop Bookshop this pm to see if they have it, as I must (have it that is)!

Haggis

#7108 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,485 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:48

Not yet...

The bulk copies are still in a ship. Sorry about that, give it a fortnight or so before you see them in WA.

You will be pleased there is a WA section by Jaime Gard with bits from Don O'Sullivan and Howie Sangster. And the '79 AGP is well mentioned as well as the earlier F5000 visits to Wanneroo.

#7109 VecSpeed

VecSpeed

• 17 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:51

I am pretty sure it is Singapore. I will let you know more in a few minutes...

The first and third photos show Graeme Lawrence on his way to winning the 1971 Singapore Grand Prix.
The second photo I think is John Macdonald in his Brabham.
The driver of the crashed Mini is Karsano (I can't find his first name) and is one of the Newton Racing Enterprises cars

Thanks for finding the information about the slides as I had totally no idea where they might be from.
And to know the details of the mini driver ... too good !
I shall keep them as a little bit of history that I now know something about.

Yes that carpark pic ...bit of a curved ball that one, or red herring :-)
I was thinking seeing it was in with the race slides (Same kodak frame and similar date stamp) and that the original
race slides were taken overseas maybe or maybe not by an asian if it could possibly a refugee/migrant camp in the
background ... just a thought.

#7110 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,485 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:58

Originally posted by rms
If you stand on runway 30 at Canberra airport with Mt Ainslie on you right, the topography in the picture seems to be identical.

Mt Majura as well...

#7111 Haggis 2

Haggis 2

• 148 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:04

Not yet...

The bulk copies are still in a ship. Sorry about that, give it a fortnight or so before you see them in WA.

You will be pleased there is a WA section by Jaime Gard with bits from Don O'Sullivan and Howie Sangster. And the '79 AGP is well mentioned as well as the earlier F5000 visits to Wanneroo.

Thanks Ray, I noticed that I was jumping the gun a bit when I read further in the thread. I should have learned by now to temper my enthusiasm until the end of threads! Good to hear that WA has a section of it's own. Jaime has been a stalwart legend in WA and even today still has a hand in car prep for a few competitors. Don, Howie, (both with Jaime's assistance) Stuart Kostera and Stan Starcevich made exciting memories for me as a young lad through the late 60s and into the seventies, mostly of course in Can Am style big banger sports cars. The '79 AGP remains a highlight.

Haggis

#7112 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,485 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:10

Yes, there's some in-depth stuff on that race from the point of view of John Walker's mechanic...

Some interesting stuff on that and so much more. He comments on travelling home in convoy with a devastated Jon Davison as well.

#7113 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 804 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:45

Erol

Mt Majura as well...

Yes, I was going to say that behind the hangars at Fairburn there are/were a number of barracks type buildings, probably fewer now than in the 60/70s as Fairburn has wound down considerably. If it is Fairburn/Mt Majura, I don't think the photo was taken from the control tower though.

#7114 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,265 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:56

Sounds fantastic! Can't wait

David, you get a pic in AMC from 73 Bathurst article.

#7115 scran

scran

• 38 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:40

I'm in Canberra - ex Military - NOTHING in that photo gels.

My first impression is somewhere like Townsville.........................

#7116 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,245 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 22:40

Certainly an A40 Farina I think. As for the "water-bags", I think they are actually blemishes on the photo. See the Peachy Zepyhr in the background - it seems to have them on the wheels, and the VW in the second row has a full array of hexagonal shapes across the front, and the grey 48-215 on the right in the 2nd row has them in strange places too. Also, check the Cortina on the right has them along the sill, and the R8 has it on the rear.

Seldo...I think the A40 and the two tome FC are wearing waterbags....as for all the other "blemishes" I think they could be signs saying who owns the parked cars...or For Sales!

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 23 August 2012 - 22:41.

#7117 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,485 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 00:04

Do you mean the khaki coloured thing on the front of the A40?

That, I'm sure, is a spotlight...

#7118 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,245 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:41

Thomson Road Circuit still used in 1971?

http://forums.autosp...on Road circuit

"The circuit of the Singapore Grand Prix 1968 embraces the new Upper Thomson Road from its junction with old Thompson Road to Sembawang Hill Circus and the old Upper Thomson Road from its junction with the new Upper Thomson Road to Sembawang Hill Circus."

http://www.silhouet....s/singapor.html

#7119 VecSpeed

VecSpeed

• 17 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:55

I'll do a higher res scan of the car park and crop for better details

Edited by VecSpeed, 25 August 2012 - 09:55.

Advertisement

#7120 VecSpeed

VecSpeed

• 17 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:10

I'll do a higher res scan of the car park and crop for better details

Think the only one with a water bag or sign is the blue thing in the middle between the two holdens, think the other
marks are just early 70's procesing faults.

Posted Image

#7121 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,485 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:45

That blue thing is a derelict-looking Fiat 1100...

I don't think it's a water bag, it looks more like a 4-gallon drum dumped in front of it, a water bag would be up in front of the grille.

#7122 seldo

seldo

• 1,633 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:51

Think the only one with a water bag or sign is the blue thing in the middle between the two holdens, think the other
marks are just early 70's procesing faults.

Posted Image

"
Thanks for that Vec. There you go.... I'm not even sure that it's a water bag on the Fiat 1100 ("the blue thing"). It looks almost like a waste bin or something like that in front of it.

#7123 baz

baz

• 35 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:49

Thomson Road Circuit still used in 1971?

http://forums.autosp...on Road circuit

"The circuit of the Singapore Grand Prix 1968 embraces the new Upper Thomson Road from its junction with old Thompson Road to Sembawang Hill Circus and the old Upper Thomson Road from its junction with the new Upper Thomson Road to Sembawang Hill Circus."

http://www.silhouet....s/singapor.html

Thompson rd ciruit used until 1973. If you can find a copy of snakes and devils by Eli Solomon and published by Marshall Cavendish it gives the full history of
the circuit and the Singapore Grand Prix. A great read and full of great photos especially when you realise how many australians competed there

#7124 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,265 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:21

That blue thing is a derelict-looking Fiat 1100...

I don't think it's a water bag, it looks more like a 4-gallon drum dumped in front of it, a water bag would be up in front of the grille.

A Golden Fleece drum I reckon, yellow with a blue bottom. Probably full of water to refill the radiator!

#7125 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,485 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:29

Or oil to cope with some extravagant (and smokey...) usage?

Could be anything, but it's strange that it's there when nobody's around the car...

#7126 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:20

Seeing as how we've drifted off topic somewhat, I thought I'd sneak this couple in.

It's at an Australian Motorsport event......a muddy motorkhana at Willows campground near Dural in August 1971.

Perhaps not Motor Racing as such, but still.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

And, you'll notice a passenger......obviously there to add momentum to get through the lake!!

#7127 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 452 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:18

Lynton, whereabouts in Dural is/was the Willows campgrounds?

#7128 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,070 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:23

I may be on the wrong tram but i thought the Willows were part of the old Bungool picnic grounds near Cattai on the Hawkesbury River.That's where most of the Motorkhana's were held from the late 1960's and are still held in the general area today.If there is a Willows near Dural then there were 2 sites with the same name.

http://www.bmsc.com....oss-sunday.html

Edited by Ian G, 05 September 2012 - 04:25.

#7129 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:00

Lynton, whereabouts in Dural is/was the Willows campgrounds?

Now, remember, that was 42 years ago, & I left Sydney in 1974, so this will take some doing....

But here goes.

I said Dural to get the general location.

You used to go into Dural, take the left fork & go out past Middle Dural & on towards Glenorie.

You turned left into Cattai Ridge Road & then right again.

It was on the left some way along a fairly bushy road.

It was a bare paddock way off the road, perfect for making dust or mud during a gymkhana.

This may be it......exploroz

Posted Image

#7130 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,245 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:09

Seeing as how we've drifted off topic somewhat, I thought I'd sneak this couple in.

It's at an Australian Motorsport event......a muddy motorkhana at Willows campground near Dural in August 1971.

Perhaps not Motor Racing as such, but still.....

And, you'll notice a passenger......obviously there to add momentum to get through the lake!!

Fabulous pics Lynton....I asked a friend and he said:

I can't be sure but it looks like Bungool park and it looks like an event put on by the then UNSW car club. They had a member who pottered around in a Peugeot 403. The Mini could be Gerald Lee from the same club. The BDA number plate rings a bell - circa late 1971 - 72 ???? Mike

#7131 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:12

I've been to Bungool for an event. That was further out, & I reckon we got there by going in from the Windsor end.

This is definitely the Willows. My negative sheet caption was written at the time.

This is Ian Field in his Cooper S.

It was a Christian Auto Club invitation event.

I believe they're still going, after 40 years.

#7132 redgts

redgts

• 34 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:02

I did some gyms at Pacific park during the late 70s. It was in that, area near the Hawkesbury River.

#7133 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,485 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 21:11

Ian Field?

Taking a well-earned break from his onerous Lands Department duties...

#7134 HeskethBoy

HeskethBoy

• 57 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:32

"
Thanks for that Vec. There you go.... I'm not even sure that it's a water bag on the Fiat 1100 ("the blue thing"). It looks almost like a waste bin or something like that in front of it.

Possibly I'm holding my head at an angle -but does the "blue thing" seem to be either "tail-down" or "Nose-up"?
Maybe it has no engine - or at least parts missing - and the drum is the work-bench for after-hours mechanics?

Just a thought.

#7135 TonyK

TonyK

• 15 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:30

Now, remember, that was 42 years ago, & I left Sydney in 1974, so this will take some doing....

But here goes.

I said Dural to get the general location.

You used to go into Dural, take the left fork & go out past Middle Dural & on towards Glenorie.

You turned left into Cattai Ridge Road & then right again.

It was on the left some way along a fairly bushy road.

It was a bare paddock way off the road, perfect for making dust or mud during a gymkhana.

This may be it......exploroz

Hi Lynton,

My Dad was an active member of the UNSW car club (known as New South Wales Car Club - NSWCC) during the 70's, and I recall attending many motorkhana events at various locations in the greater Dural/Cattai area.
Willows was definitely the area you have pinpointed down off Halcrows Road. As also mentioned, Bungool Park off Wisemans Ferry Rd (aka Paradise Gardens, aka Riverside Oaks) also got a good run, as did Pacific Park just to the north along the Hawkesbury River. Along with Amaroo Park, this area was definitely a hotbed of club motorsport back in the day.
(.....and I must get scans of the many photos he has of those events to actually make a proper contribution to this thread.....)

Edited by TonyK, 07 September 2012 - 07:31.

#7136 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 619 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:50

Hi Lynton,

My Dad was an active member of the UNSW car club (known as New South Wales Car Club - NSWCC) during the 70's, and I recall attending many motorkhana events at various locations in the greater Dural/Cattai area.
Willows was definitely the area you have pinpointed down off Halcrows Road. As also mentioned, Bungool Park off Wisemans Ferry Rd (aka Paradise Gardens, aka Riverside Oaks) also got a good run, as did Pacific Park just to the north along the Hawkesbury River. Along with Amaroo Park, this area was definitely a hotbed of club motorsport back in the day.
(.....and I must get scans of the many photos he has of those events to actually make a proper contribution to this thread.....)

And the NSW Car Club was 'my' club. I joined in 1984 and was there until its demise in about 1990. A sad day. I was even Club Captain towards the end. Another club that's fallen victim. Our sister club, UCC didn't last much longer.

We used the Leppington ground for motorkhanas by the time I arrived.

Bruce Moxon

#7137 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,658 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:58

Some shots from South Australia kindly provided by maggiep007

Posted Image
#1 WRE ?

Posted Image
# 2 Think it's Rob Roy

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5a - Col Riches 1958

Edited by SJ Lambert, 08 September 2012 - 05:21.

#7138 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,245 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:49

Some shots from South Australia kindly provided by maggiep007

Posted Image

Fabulous pictures!! How good is this thread!! :clap: :)

#7139 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,658 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:07

It's a ripper!!

More from maggiep007 in this and the next post.

Posted Image
# 6 - John Newmarch 34 Ford

Posted Image

#7 - Col Riches' Auschry and Bittner's Healey
Posted Image
#8 - Newmarch's Simca after the roll at Collingrove

Posted Image
#9 - Collingrove 1959 - Nancarrow
Posted Image
#10 - Ken Virgin's VW

Posted Image
#11 - Goldfinch 100S

Edited by SJ Lambert, 08 September 2012 - 03:55.

Advertisement

#7140 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,658 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:08

Posted Image
#12 - Elfin Streamliner Collingrove 1959

Posted Image

Posted Image
#14 - Nancarrow A90

There are more of Maggiep007's shots on the John Newmarch and the Capricornia (Riccardian) thread.

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=171068

Edited by SJ Lambert, 08 September 2012 - 03:58.

#7141 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,142 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:20

Is the top photo a Lotus XI or is it a clone?

#7142 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,658 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:22

Is the top photo a Lotus XI or is it a clone?

It looks a lot like an Elfin Streamliner to me !!!! Coincidently, John Webb, panel shaper at Elfins from those days rang me tonight to tell me that he can't track down any of the Hotchkiss family members. He knew Phil Hotchkiss and Phil's neice. Phil came out to Adelaide from Upstate New York to collect and take home his Elfin Mono, which Dad & I have brought back to Australia.

Here's another one.

Posted Image
#15 - Riches Auschry and a Streamliner.

Edited by SJ Lambert, 08 September 2012 - 03:59.

#7143 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,245 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:27

It's a ripper!!

More from maggiep007 in this and the next post.

Posted Image

OK...when I tell ya they are not looking...whip the fan belt off!!

[and are they chrome dress rims on the Simca? or chromies with black centres?]

#7144 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,178 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 13:09

is that a 100s Healey?

#7145 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,658 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 13:15

I don't know. It's captioned as the "Goldfinch" car.

#7146 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 16:15

Yes, it's a 100S, the ex-Stan Jones and Ron Phillips car. Jim Goldfinch raced it at Port Wakefield in 1958 and 1959, and last I heard it was still in SA

#7147 J. Scott Morris

J. Scott Morris

• 33 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 18:25

Yes, it's a 100S, the ex-Stan Jones and Ron Phillips car. Jim Goldfinch raced it at Port Wakefield in 1958 and 1959, and last I heard it was still in SA

If that is the car, then it is Chassis AHS 3906 and was owned by Tony Parkinson of Australia who posted some details at the following link in 2007
http://www.austin-he...rietaire52.html

--Scott Morris

#7148 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 20:14

That'll be it

#7149 2Bob

2Bob

• 409 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 21:40

And the NSW Car Club was 'my' club. I joined in 1984 and was there until its demise in about 1990. A sad day. I was even Club Captain towards the end. Another club that's fallen victim. Our sister club, UCC didn't last much longer.

We used the Leppington ground for motorkhanas by the time I arrived.

Bruce Moxon

Hey, my club too from 1963 to 1966. Competition Secretary (or something like that) 1 year. Club champion 1 year while not owning a drivable car (navigator in trials and rented cars for 2 motorkhanas to get the points) - probably why I completely failed uni course, booze and birds might have had some effect too I guess... Fond memory of running a 'banger' at Windsor speedway in invitation race between the 2 unis (although whimps from Sydney didn't turn up - worried about CAMS or something).

Bob Collinson

#7150 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,178 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 22:34

That'll be it

small world ,I was with him at a lunch a few weeks ago.