Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8985 replies to this topic

#7401 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,250 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:22

These guys were at the meeting on 3rd January 1970 as well.....
Posted Image

Posted Image

I wonder if the Simca was Holden powered? It was a good conversion.
And I wonder if the guy in the A30 ever went anywhere with his racing!!

Advertisement

#7402 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:05

Robin Pare (Tas) in the Don Elliot Mustang. It is a good shot and quite a surprise to me as I wasn't aware they ever ran the car in NSW. Car is now owned by Chas Kelly and fully restored to that period's livery.
We have plenty of shots of it on the oldracephotos website from 1966 thru to when Robin Bessant bought it in 1972 and ran it in Shell colours if your interested. Elliot then bought the Bryan Thomson Camaro for Pare to race.

Are you sure, Lindsay? I was not aware Elliot ever ran it outside Tas. I suspect the Kim Aunger car from SA is a possibility. From memory (unreliable at best!) it was white with orange stripes.

Rob Saward

#7403 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 829 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:02

Hi Rob, if you look at some of the previous posts you will see it clearly at BP cnr Oran Park. Aunger's car ran at the same meeting. Certainly news to me and I can't recall seeing it mentioned in an RCN race report back then (Lynton - do you know which meeting it was or the date?). I have a full set of 1970 RCN's so I could check it easily. They did take the car to Bay Park, NZ too, in I think 1971? I wonder whether Kim Aunger actually had any influence of the Elliot car running at O Park - they had such a great battle at Baskerville in 1970.

Posted Image

#7404 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:34

Hi Rob, if you look at some of the previous posts you will see it clearly at BP cnr Oran Park. Aunger's car ran at the same meeting. Certainly news to me and I can't recall seeing it mentioned in an RCN race report back then (Lynton - do you know which meeting it was or the date?). I have a full set of 1970 RCN's so I could check it easily. They did take the car to Bay Park, NZ too, in I think 1971? I wonder whether Kim Aunger actually had any influence of the Elliot car running at O Park - they had such a great battle at Baskerville in 1970.

Posted Image

3rd January 1970 (night meeting)

#7405 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,178 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:57

American Torque Thrust are still advailable now. 8 or 10"x 15". Though I feel in those days they were 9" wide,, with about 3" backspace.And a few different styles. Or maybe 5 spoke Ansens. Moffats Mustang had them when it first arrived though it gained Minilites quite quickly, which were 10" on all the 'big' cars.

There was a certain Mustang in historic group NC that ran rear Torque thrusts which were 8 and 1/2 inchs as opposed to the rules of 8 inch.

#7406 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,216 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:00

A friend of mine , Graham Slater, a great guy who sadly died just before Winton Historic Last year was a part time journo for racing car news as a contributor. He wrote a column titled Mainly Melbourne.

So he had a collection of car magazines that his wife has given to me. There are 7 x 55 tubs of them. Now that's a lot of magazines.
I have just delved into the latest one and pulled out a racing car news special publication titled " The Fabulous Farm".

A history of the Tasman Cup races contested at Sydney's Warwick Farm circuit by the cream of International and Australian stars.

This magazine is in mint condition. It was printed in 1979 probably about 60 -70 pages

So if you want some info from it just ask and I will have a look

Cheers
Peter Sneddon

Pete...you may find that the National Library of Australia or your local library is interested in part or all of this great "find"....look after them :)

#7407 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,216 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:02

Posted Image

anyone know what powered the Gordini?? :)

#7408 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,178 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:42

3rd January 1970 (night meeting)

am i correct in thinking of the 3 'Stangs.
one is the Pare car,another ex Allen car and then the ex Beechey car?

#7409 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:44

Some more from the Friday of the 1971 Tasman Series at Warwick Farm.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
By my reckoning, the car is clear of the kerb, so how did they have the car set up, to be lifting wheels like that?

#7410 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,440 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:36

Originally posted by Lola5000

No, that's not right...

The Aunger car was, I think, the ex-Beechey ex-Thomson car. I think.

Pare's car was a road car done up in Tassie, Brauer's was the second Bob Jane Mustang.

Lee, those Torque Thrust wheels are avaiable in 15 x 6" too, so I'd say there's a fair list of sizes. I know this because my nephew bought a set for his Dodge.

#7411 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,178 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 13:03

No, that's not right...

Pare's car was a road car done up in Tassie, Brauer's was the second Bob Jane Mustang.

Lee, those Torque Thrust wheels are avaiable in 15 x 6" too, so I'd say there's a fair list of sizes. I know this because my nephew bought a set for his Dodge.

as always spot on .

#7412 2Bob

2Bob

• 409 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 20:16

These guys were at the meeting on 3rd January 1970 as well.....

Hey, so was I! Didn't quite go on to achieve what that Brock guy did though...

Mini number 110 if you happen to see a photo Lynton!

Remember being overtaken (while towing my Mini with clapped out 52 Chev) on the Hay plains by Aunger towing his Mustang. He was doing a good 40 m.p.h more than me, would have been similar on the straight at Oran Park if we had been in the same race...

#7413 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 453 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 20:33

The Elliot Mustang was ordered and purchased new by Don Elliot thru a Hobart dealership.
It was one of the rare K Codes with HiPo 289 rated at 271 hp ex factory.
These were the same cars that Shelby purchased from Ford and sold as Shelby 350 and are
referred to now as the poor mans Shelby

The Elliot car, although road registered ,went onto the race track when brand new with wide
steel wheels originally.

From the factory they already had solid lifters, twin point dist, different main caps , larger balancer
600 Holley, twin piston front calipers (66 onwards), CR toploader and 9" 3.5 lsd , suspsenion lowered 1"
and different cast exh manifold

Beecheys was also an early K Code and was delivered with front drums..soon replaced .

Edited by Ellis French, 13 December 2012 - 20:39.

#7414 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 284 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 21:05

I have just checked the programme for that 3rd Jan 1970 meeting and there is no Reno Gordini entered (maybe late entry) and there are two Simcas but both of them have a different number to the one pictured. One has a 1755 cc engine and the other has 3687cc. If my memory serves me correctly I think the Reno had a Reno engine.
Dale.

#7415 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 21:30

I have just checked the programme for that 3rd Jan 1970 meeting and there is no Reno Gordini entered (maybe late entry) and there are two Simcas but both of them have a different number to the one pictured. One has a 1755 cc engine and the other has 3687cc. If my memory serves me correctly I think the Reno had a Reno engine.
Dale.

Sorry Dale, it's me being sloppy again.

Posted Image
Oran Park Dogleg 13th December 1969

Posted Image
13th December 1969

#7416 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,250 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 22:00

No, that's not right...

Yeah, I was talking the larger sizes. Their website is interesting reading. Even now the Americans do make some obscure sizes.

#7417 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,440 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 22:25

The Renault wouldn't have been entered as a Gordini...

It would most likely have been entered simply as a Renault or as a Renault Dauphin.

Note also that the Simca is one of the very rare 2-door models.

#7418 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 284 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 22:40

The Renault wouldn't have been entered as a Gordini...

It would most likely have been entered simply as a Renault or as a Renault Dauphin.

Note also that the Simca is one of the very rare 2-door models.

At a guess, the Reno is Dave Dunsmore and it had a 1498cc engine and the Simca is probably Graham Cherry and it had a 1755cc engine.

Dale.

#7419 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,440 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 23:35

What engine would be 1755cc? At least, what engine you would put into a Simca?

Hillmans grew to 1725cc, maybe one of them? Remember, there was a move to keep the engine and body to the one 'manufacturer'. Hillman and Simca coming under Chrysler, of course.

That car was blue and yellow, IIRC.

Come to think of it, what engine would be 3687cc? Hang on, that's the size of a Valiant Slant 6! Same 'manufacturer' again, wouldn't that have had some grunt?

Advertisement

#7420 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 451 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 00:31

Another example of helmet lift???
Posted Image
Mind you, his times may have been effected by having to eat flies all the way round the lap!!!
(Damn, I wish I'd aimed over to the left, just that little bit!!)

Sadly the Warwick Farm Tasman race would be Mike Eyerly's "waterloo." He wrote off the Surtess TS8 in practice and this talented driver never raced seriously again.

Here are a couple of threads on Eyerly:

http://forums.autosp...;hl=Mike Eyerly
http://forums.autosp...;hl=Mike Eyerly

He won two North American Formula B championships for Chevron importer Fred Opert and was destined for greater things. I recall that Opert really rated Eyerly, and it must be remembered that he later went on to run Keke Rosberg in Formula Atlantic.

A lost talent...

#7421 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:18

No,
Pare, Aunger (not ex anyone as far as i know) and Brauer (ex Jane). The ex Neil Allan and Beechey cars are not amongst this lot.

Rob Saward

#7422 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 453 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:08

No,
Pare, Aunger (not ex anyone as far as i know) and Brauer (ex Jane). The ex Neil Allan and Beechey cars are not amongst this lot.

Rob Saward

The Aunger car is ex Beechey ex Thompson and was driven by Peter Finch often during Aungers ownership

#7423 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,838 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:26

Charlie Smith at the Bathurst 500 in 1963 doing a quick wheel change after co-driver Ron Hodgson had fenced it, no safety cars then !

Posted Image
Posted Image

Hey Dick, is it possible it get a copy of this photo?.......that's me in the VW Beetle [57A].

Cheers,

Greg

#7424 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 617 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:41

Hey Dick, is it possible it get a copy of this photo?.......that's me in the VW Beetle [57A].

Cheers,

Greg

Gotta love the covered number plate - so you can sell the car on Tuesday (Monday's for getting the sticky tape off and giving it a wash).

A mate's brother got the shock of his life when he saw the dealer demonstrator he'd just bought featuring in the Bathurst 500 newsreel at the movies.

Bruce Moxon

#7425 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,838 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:59

Spot on there, Bruce. 57A came straight off Lannock Motors used car lot! From memory it had about 50,000 miles up - nicely freed up - and all it had done was a new clutch, and valve springs. It most likely ended up back on the lot.

The mini driver behind me in that photo could be Fred Gibson.....I diced with him for quite a few laps.

#7426 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,216 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:52

Spot on there, Bruce. 57A came straight off Lannock Motors used car lot! From memory it had about 50,000 miles up - nicely freed up - and all it had done was a new clutch, and valve springs. It most likely ended up back on the lot.

The mini driver behind me in that photo could be Fred Gibson.....I diced with him for quite a few laps.

Freddie in the mighty 850!!!??? :) I think the pic is on Autopics Greg....get a big blow-up (oops, not that Dak Daks ever refuse to proceed!)

#7427 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,216 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:06

Some more from the Friday of the 1971 Tasman Series at Warwick Farm.

Posted Image
By my reckoning, the car is clear of the kerb, so how did they have the car set up, to be lifting wheels like that?

Looks OK to me Lynton, look at the load and tramp on Drivers Left Rear...really hooking into it, under max acceleration, why wouldn't it hoik a wheel?? :cool:

#7428 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,250 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:58

What engine would be 1755cc? At least, what engine you would put into a Simca?

Hillmans grew to 1725cc, maybe one of them? Remember, there was a move to keep the engine and body to the one 'manufacturer'. Hillman and Simca coming under Chrysler, of course.

That car was blue and yellow, IIRC.

Come to think of it, what engine would be 3687cc? Hang on, that's the size of a Valiant Slant 6! Same 'manufacturer' again, wouldn't that have had some grunt?

A Holden is a good fit, a slopey Valiant would be a major exercise. and heavy. But bloody quick on the straight bits!!

#7429 GD66

GD66

• 2,196 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:08

Looks OK to me Lynton, look at the load and tramp on Drivers Left Rear...really hooking into it, under max acceleration, why wouldn't it hoik a wheel?? :cool:

May have had the assistance of a quick clip of the inside kerb at apex as well...

#7430 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,838 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 22:59

A Holden is a good fit, a slopey Valiant would be a major exercise. and heavy. But bloody quick on the straight bits!!

There was a fellow called Pellow - sorry about that :blush: - who ran a Simca Valiant, 3687cc.

Edited by GMACKIE, 14 December 2012 - 23:05.

#7431 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,838 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 23:21

Posted Image
Oran Park 3rd January 1970

Robin Bessant.

#7432 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 451 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 23:55

Gotta love the covered number plate - so you can sell the car on Tuesday (Monday's for getting the sticky tape off and giving it a wash).

A mate's brother got the shock of his life when he saw the dealer demonstrator he'd just bought featuring in the Bathurst 500 newsreel at the movies.

Bruce Moxon

Charlie Smith told me that he sold his class winning 64 Morris Cooper to Brian Foley after the Bathurst race and he immediately put it on his used car lot. It just so happened that the Cooper turned up on the cover of the next Catalina programme number plate and all. The guy who bought the Cooper then discovered that it had been raced at Bathurst and contacted Charlie.

The guy wasn't unhappy about it. He got a Cooper that went harder than most others did.... :)

#7433 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:54

No, that's not right...

Ray,
The conjecture re the Mustangs. I'm reminded of Danny Kay's " The vessel with the pestle and the chalice from the palace".
Sorry for that. :blush:

Well spotted, the two door [Grande Large] Simca. Not too many of them landed in Aus.
The suggested 1755 cc engine, when I first saw this I thought Alfa Romeo ? What a wonderful choice of engines being available in later years for conversion, mostly Japanese. In 1977 I saw an early [90A] with a Datsun 1600 in Adelaide.

#7434 VecSpeed

VecSpeed

• 17 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:07

Thought I'd post these few pics as the VW & Mini earlier on reminded me of them.
These are the first 5 cards in the old Weetbix Bathurst series, and I guess not everyone has seen them :

Posted Image

1/ 1963 Barry Feruson VW & Lindsay Little

Posted Image

2. The Mighty Minis of 1964 (No Names)

Posted Image

3. Battling Beetles of 1964

43 ( Haehnle & MacKay) - 38 (Ford & Ferguson)

#7435 VecSpeed

VecSpeed

• 17 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:11

Last two Pics :

Posted Image

4/ Cortina dominates in 1965
(Herb Taylor gives Arnold Ahrenfeld a helping hand)

Posted Image

5. Thrills and Spills in 1966 (No Name)

#7436 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 284 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:27

Robin Bessant.

Robin Pare is the driver listed in the programme. It is possible of course that he was replaced by Robin Bessant at the last minute. Can anyone tell the difference looking at the photo?

Dale.

#7437 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,838 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:56

Robin Pare is the driver listed in the programme. It is possible of course that he was replaced by Robin Bessant at the last minute. Can anyone tell the difference looking at the photo?

Dale.

Bob Williamson?

#7438 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,216 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:47

Thought I'd post these few pics as the VW & Mini earlier on reminded me of them.
These are the first 5 cards in the old Weetbix Bathurst series, and I guess not everyone has seen them :

Posted Image

3. Battling Beetles of 1964

43 ( Haehnle & MacKay) - 38 (Ford & Ferguson)

Those state-of-the-art racing stripes on the Bugs look dead sexy!! The skinny rims? not so sexy...

[Super SHELL with Methyl Benzine!!]

#7439 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 453 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:21

Bob Williamson?

Its Pare driving ......with his face covered as he did later in his career ...pre balaclavas.... car is still in Elliot colours

Bessant painted it Shell yellow with Shell sponsorship thru his Shell Servo and as he did ran his usual #90

Edit..
Also Bessant didnt get it till sometime in 1972

Edited by Ellis French, 15 December 2012 - 07:59.

Advertisement

#7440 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,178 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:57

Its Pare driving ......with his face covered as he did later in his career ...pre balaclavas.... car is still in Elliot colours

Bessant painted it Shell yellow with Shell sponsorship thru his Shell Servo and as he did ran his usual #90

there is a coloured photo of the car in those colours parked in front of the ex Geoghegan car in yellow also when owned by Clive Green.

#7441 DJH

DJH

• 186 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 13:25

"A mate's brother got the shock of his life when he saw the dealer demonstrator he'd just bought featuring in the Bathurst 500 newsreel at the movies."

Re the earlier posted pic of the Viva on it's head......... I purchased that Mini DeLuxe seen in the background, used from Pelligrini Chrysler at Kensington N.S.W. in 1969. I was unaware of the car's history at that time. It was a BMC prepared entry for Kevin Bartlett and Ron Haylen in 1965.
I have owned a few Minis over the years, DWT-912 was a definitely one of the better ones.

Edited by DJH, 16 December 2012 - 08:00.

#7442 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 23:43

"A mate's brother got the shock of his life when he saw the dealer demonstrator he'd just bought featuring in the Bathurst 500 newsreel at the movies."

Re the earlier posted pic of the Viva on it's head......... I purchased that Mini DeLuxe seen in the background, used from Pelligrini Chrysler at Kensington N.S.W.in 1968. I was unaware of the car's history at that time. It was a BMC prepared entry for Kevin Bartlett and Ron Haylen in 1965.
I have owned a few Minis over the years, DWT-912 was a definitely one of the better ones.

As I recall the Mini De-Luxe that Ron and I drove that year was a class winner. Can anyone verify that result?

#7443 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,768 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 00:46

As I recall the Mini De-Luxe that Ron and I drove that year was a class winner. Can anyone verify that result?

Sorry Kevin, 6th in class behind 4 Cortinas and a Viva. 1965 was the year of the Cortina, They won three out of four classes.

#7444 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 869 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:12

Re the earlier posted pic of the Viva on it's head......... I purchased that Mini DeLuxe seen in the background, used from Pelligrini Chrysler at Kensington N.S.W.in 1968. I was unaware of the car's history at that time. It was a BMC prepared entry for Kevin Bartlett and Ron Haylen in 1965.

Does that say that in those days, a well-used & raced blueprinted engine in a body prepared by the factory racing team
could outperform & maybe outlast a bog-standard "within-tolerance" production-line car, when they were used as road cars?

#7445 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:41

Sorry Kevin, 6th in class behind 4 Cortinas and a Viva. 1965 was the year of the Cortina, They won three out of four classes.

Bugger :lol:

#7446 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,768 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:44

You were the top finishing Mini Deluxe though. :clap:

Any good or bad memories of the Deluxe?

#7447 Wirra

Wirra

• 917 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:06

Here is the Viva crash but I think Doug Mulray has the year wrong.

#7448 VecSpeed

VecSpeed

• 17 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:14

Thought this might have been one of KBs, but once blown up it wasn't, but you can see the names.
Had a Class B win in 1973 according to the card.

Posted Image

#7449 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,250 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:18

Gee you must have had a bad day, being beaten by a Cortina or two is fine but a Viva!

#7450 DJH

DJH

• 186 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:57

The photo of the inverted Viva at Murray's shown earlier was taken during Saturday practice. The number plates on the BMC entered cars were removed for the Sunday thrash.
The Viva 58A received some minor panel damage and a replacement screen after it gently tripped over the first time on Saturday arvo. The car was rolled big time during the race at exactly the same spot, with far more dire consequences. That is the famous footage of the Viva prang that Channel 7 re-runs every October.
Beating the "poverty pack" Cortinas in Class A was a big ask for the Mini De Luxe.

Edited by DJH, 16 December 2012 - 08:06.