Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8965 replies to this topic

#701 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:07

Most likely Sandown AGP, 1968...

The quandary I have is the fence visible in the first pic. But it could have been temporary.

Cars are the Chris Amon Ferrari, the Piers Courage (is that Sally?) McLaren and one of the BRMs.

On the other hand, did you go to NZ for the Tasman races that year?

Advertisement

#702 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:16

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Most likely Sandown AGP, 1968...

The quandary I have is the fence visible in the first pic. But it could have been temporary.

Cars are the Chris Amon Ferrari, the Piers Courage (is that Sally?) McLaren and one of the BRMs.

On the other hand, did you go to NZ for the Tasman races that year?

Ray, no I did not go to any of the NZ races and yes, Sandown would have to be the most likely venue but didn't have any idea of the year............Thanks!

#703 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:21

It's definitely 1968...

That can be no other car than Piers Courage's. He had the Brabham the following year and Niel Allen had a very light brace from the roll bar to the cam cover bolts on the engine in this car after its post-Lakeside rebuild.

Clark also won the AGP in a Lotus 49 with the number '6' on its flank. Team Lotus ran different numbers in '69 (1 & 2).

#704 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:38

Another two engine photos -

Posted Image
The engine of the ex-David McKay Aston Martin DB3 at Albert Park meeting in Nov '58

Posted Image
Engine of Keith Rilstone's ex-Eldred Norman Zephyr special showing supercharger and large SU carburettor. Taken at Mallala- (not sure of date)

#705 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:57

Originally posted by kaydee
Posted Image
Engine of Keith Rilstone's ex-Eldred Norman Zephyr special showing supercharger and large SU carburettor. Taken at Mallala- (not sure of date)

Don't you just love those stub exhausts?

Was this possibly the same day as the pic of the car jacked up with the body off?

#706 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:28

Kaydee

This really interests me..you knew the man

"For the Australian reading, the amount and quality of influence given to Chapman and his Lotus organisation by Derek Jolley, the South Australian racing driver will also come as a big surprise. "

Any ideas?..from your pics .Derek seems like a jolly good pre-Beechey, down-to-earth fellow

Stan

#707 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,720 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:32

Couple more from antiquity:

Posted Image

That's Vincent V Twin power behind the driver. And a canvas sling type seat. Caversham, c 1961.

Posted Image

Jack Ayres in the supercharged 1.5 litre Alta at the Collie round-the-houses circuit. You can just make out, under the bushes around the corner, the Repco Holden Sports off the track. The flaggie seems unconcerned, and there's no sign of a pace car . .

#708 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,131 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:04

Originally posted by Terry Walker
The flaggie seems unconcerned, and there's no sign of a pace car . .

Cruel Terry....the Flaggie had probably waved that Yellow for three laps to warn the drivers of the hard unforgiving hay bale on the apex....thats why he is looking tired and resting on the stick.....Flaggies are never unconcerned !! :rotfl:

#709 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,720 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:33

I didn't really mean it quite that way - the Sports is off the course, so no prob; and I bet the haybale is sitting on a stormwater drain which the drivers knew all about. Hence, the flaggie feels no cause for concern and there's no need for a yellow.

#710 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:00

Apart from which, the 'three laps of warning' didn't come in for many years after this...

It really is a good shot of Jack Ayers getting up some attitude.

#711 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,720 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:27

And Albany, about 1962, at the hairpin turning left out of Lockyer into Stead Road. Up the hill, bear right past the cemetery, hang a left at the service station . .

Posted Image

#712 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:42

This is, of course, the shorter, less interesting, later circuit away from the original one on the waterfront...

Holdens in the pic are George Wakelin, Rod Donovan and Dave Sullivan.

#713 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,720 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:09

Longford, 1960s - the writing, barely visible on the side of the Mog, is "Team Cerberus". There's a licence plate hanging off the front bumper by leather straps.

Posted Image

#714 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,131 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:41

Longford, 1960s - the writing, barely visible on the side of the Mog, is "Team Cerberus". There's a licence plate hanging off the front bumper by leather straps.

Posted Image

Possibly Naval men from HMAS Cerberus at Flinders in Victoria (I lived there for a few years...cold and hot...extremes of both!!)

#715 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:49

There was a very strong car club at HMAS Cerberus... they held rounds of the Vic Motorkhana Championship IIRC...

That pic, however, doesn't look like Longford. Some evidence of the likelihood that it's not might be the trade plate on the Victorian Morgan. That doesn't explain the colours of the numberplate on the FC (Standard!) Wagon, however. Or the A90 (I think it's an A90).

Unless it's before they moved the pit/paddock area to the centre of the circuit. What year was that? Even so, there are parts of the background I have trouble understanding.

Symmons is more likely...

#716 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,720 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:00

Peter Longley never went to Symmons. This slide, plus one of the rear of Frank Matich's Lotus 19, both taken in the paddock, were in a sequence of slides from Longford. The air photo I have of Longford showed the pits on the inside of the circuit. As for the plates - it was a big meeting: Tasman Series.

#717 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,738 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 14:44

The flaggie seems unconcerned, and there's no sign of a pace car .

Did you use pace cars in those days in the southern hemisphere?

#718 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 15:05

I think he was joking ;)

#719 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,720 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 16:33

Yes, I was kidding about the pace car.

Never before seen: Black Jack, practicing for the 1957 Australian Grand Prix. Taken by Milton, very naughtily, from the staircase onto one of the footbridges across the track.

Posted Image

Advertisement

#720 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 22:38

Peter Longley never went to Symmons. This slide, plus one of the rear of Frank Matich's Lotus 19, both taken in the paddock, were in a sequence of slides from Longford. The air photo I have of Longford showed the pits on the inside of the circuit. As for the plates - it was a big meeting: Tasman Series.

If the Lotus 19 was there, then it had to be on the inside as the pits moved before the Lotus arrived. Okay, it's an angle I'm not used to seeing, it just doesn't look right...

Are you posting the pic of the rear of the 19? Maybe in the long-running Lotus 19 thread?

And that sure looks like Stan Jones in that Cooper! I know it's Jack's entry, but it looks like Stan. We tend to forget that Jack ran in that race... or at least I do...

Is it maybe a shot from practice?

#721 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 22:41

Oh, yeah... it can't possibly have been a Tasman meeting...

#722 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,720 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:49

If not a Tasman, then some sort of International. B McLaren and G Hill were there - Kel Carruthers, too. And Jim Palmer.

Posted Image

#723 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:55

A Gold Star race was held with International participation as part of the series of races held in NZ and Australia over the two months each year from 1961 to 1963. But this was 1964...

The Tasman Cup was inaugurated in 1964, so it was a Tasman meeting. Where you made your mistake, then, was in mis-identifying the Lotus 19. It can only have been the 19B.

#724 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:43

Isn't this the meeting that features on the DVD "Long Weekend At Lonford"?

According to the cover notes, it was produced by the Tasmanian Government Film Unit in 1964.

Races include:
-The Australian Tourist Trophy
-Touring Car Scratch Race
-South Pacific Gold Star Championship
-South Pacific 500cc Motorcycle Championship

#725 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:50

Yes, 1964 was the year Matich won the ATT at Longford...

#726 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:43

Wasnt Bib's Monaco penalised for some reason Ray?

Stan

#727 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,131 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:09

Apart from which, the 'three laps of warning' didn't come in for many years after this...

Little Britain: Yearh ah no :)

#728 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:59

Originally posted by Stan Patterson
Wasnt Bib's Monaco penalised for some reason Ray?

Yes, Stan... his engine didn't start on the starter so he, like Frank Coad in the Lotus 15, was disqualified...

#729 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:27

Just like the reg's are today.......

#730 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:28

thanks Ray,

I know the Monaco led for several laps and was called in.....much to BSS's disgust

Did Frank Coad own the Jolly Lotus XV..in 1964?

I cant recall

Stan

#731 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:27

The RCN report doesn't mention anything about who led or other detail... it simply says that the two of them were disqualified and that Matich slowed as soon as he confirmed Stillwell was disqualified. Obviously the Monaco was still running at that time.

#732 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 17:53

Did Frank Coad own the Jolly Lotus XV..in 1964?

I'm sure Ray will correct me if I'm wrong...
I thought it was still owned by Jolly when Coad raced it in 1963, and that it was owned and driven by Bevan Gibson in 1964

#733 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 21:46

I had no idea of its history between Jolly and the Gibsons... but the ownership in Benalla was with Hoot, who possibly drove it once or twice but I'm not sure. He bought it for his eldest son (Bevan) to race just as he later bought the Niel Allen Lotus 23 and the Doug Macarthur Rennmax for them.

#734 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:17

I have vague memory of Frank Coad racing a Lotus 7 with a Climax engine at Calder in 1962 and 1963.....least I think it was him.

Stan

#735 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:45

According to Blanden, it was the original Lotus Super 7 with an 1100cc FWA Climax. Frank was very successful in it too, recording 25 wins after debuting in April 1961.

#736 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,720 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:30

The Coade Lotus 7 and the Jolly Lotus 15, 1962 6-Hour, Caversham (taken at practice)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#737 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:38

Thanks David,

I was fairly sure he drove the Lotus.

It was strange how the Shepparton, Wangaratta and Benalla district spawned so many drivers ..

Ron Phillips - AH 100 S, Cooper Jaguar
Frank Coad - Vauxhall Special, Lotus 7
Hoot Gibson- Vanguard Sportsman et al
Tom Wilson -2.2 Cooper T51 ex Stillwell
Bryan Thomson 2.0 Cooper T51 ex Stillwell

I never knew the Jolly XV enriched that soil

Stan

#738 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:13

But you knew the Gibsons had it? In fact, unless it's been sold recently they still have it...

Actually, the Gibsons were in Mansfield (IIRC) during the Sportsman days. Hoot was actually from the Adelaide area anyway.

Shouldn't Ken Cox also be in your list? And Ron's father?

#739 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 01:18

Hi Ray,

Yes i knew the Gibson's had the Lotus..what I really meant was that I had forgotten totally that Frank Coad ever drove it.

Btw, somebody posted on TNF some time back that the Jolly/Gibson XV was in some London auction house...grrr

Stan

Advertisement

#740 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 03:36

Some more pics of the Derek Jolly Lotus XV at the Bathurst Oct '58 meeting -
Posted Image
Refuelling at BP...........

Posted Image
Warming up the engine...........also shows the inflateable tonneau cover.

#741 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 03:43

.....somebody posted on TNF some time back that the Jolly/Gibson XV was in some London auction house...grrr

It's pretty easy to feel like that, Stan...

Especially with all the cars that have left the country and are so badly missed. Or have finished up inactive in collections or museums where they don't get used.

I think Grant was pretty upset at Guyra when he brought the 15 out with its brand new body and all, the thing looking better than it ever had. And then the loose stones on the surface were putting pock marks all over the guards from the inside.

Grant spent an absolute fortune on that car. You have no idea the time and money he invested in it. So perhaps it got the better of him? Perhaps he needed a change? Can he be blamed for wanting to sell it in England? After all, he was living there, he had the car there and he stood a better chance of getting a high price there.

#742 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,131 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:18

I think Grant was pretty upset at Guyra when he brought the 15 out with its brand new body and all, the thing looking better than it ever had. And then the loose stones on the surface were putting pock marks all over the guards from the inside.

Grant spent an absolute fortune on that car. You have no idea the time and money he invested in it. So perhaps it got the better of him? Perhaps he needed a change? Can he be blamed for wanting to sell it in England? After all, he was living there, he had the car there and he stood a better chance of getting a high price there.

No understandamundo....there are trailer queens and there are nice restos designed to be used in anger...have I missed something?? If Grant was so concerned about appearances...why did he take it to Guyra :confused:

#743 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:39

Hi Ray,

Of course he couldn't be blamed for selling the car in a country where it would be appreciated and understood...I would do the same..we have turned our back on our heritage

275 GTB's rant just illustrates how far we have regressed into the cesspool of GTHO straightaway drivel.....

Stan

#744 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:46

And Mick doesn't realise that Grant had no idea what condition the roads would be in... it was the second time they ran at Guyra and the first there'd been no problem. But it was terrible that day and he was forced to withdraw the car to protect $20,000 worth of body from stone damage.

He was happy to race it otherwise, it was no trailer queen...

#745 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,131 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:33

Little Britain:Yearh ah no :)

Just talk amongst yourselves fellas...this is hillarious :lol:

#746 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:57

Well of course...lets get into context

It was just a Lotus XV driven by Graham Hill at Le Mans in 1959 and the car that Derek Jolly won the Australian TT in ..valueless really

It is not as if it is Ford Falcon driven by Moffat..or..gulps..looks around nervously ..a Torana XU1 painted like a cigarette packet

Stan

#747 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,131 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:19

Well of course...lets get into context

It was just a Lotus XV driven by Graham Hill at Le Mans in 1959 and the car that Derek Jolly won the Australian TT in ..valueless really

It is not as if it is Ford Falcon driven by Moffat..or..gulps..looks around nervously ..a Torana XU1 painted like a cigarette packet

Stan

I'd love to know what brew you are on Stan....your continued reference to Tintops and Cigarette advertising have absolutely no place here....thanks for hijacking yet another thread for your own inane purposes (you should get down on your knees and apologize to Kaydee)

As for heaping scorn on me for asking a valid question....I just don't get it, have others been filling your head with weird impressions of my likes and dislikes??? For example, why would I travel all the way from Canberra to Phillip Island just to see "cigarette advertising"....I enjoy Historics and the history of older cars as much (or more) than the next fella.

So....It was just a Lotus XV driven by Graham Hill at Le Mans in 1959 and the car that Derek Jolly won the Australian TT in ..valueless really (how pompously ascerbic...so what!! there are people all over the world who trot out significant cars for them and other people to enjoy...Thank Goodness!!

#748 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 14:10

Originally posted by 275 GTB-4
Little Britain: Yearh ah no :)

Originally posted by 275 GTB-4
Little Britain:Yearh ah no :)

Just talk amongst yourselves fellas...this is hillarious :lol:

These posts, of course, are so understandable, so intelligent and so meaningful that they would never be off topic...

I agree with you, Mick, let's let the thread run about photos.

#749 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,720 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 15:35

Austin 1800, Renault 16TS, Mini Cooper S with a broken taillight, Bathurst 1969; and two Alfas and another Cooper S fairly untidly parked.

Posted Image

#750 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,285 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 20:50

Not an Austin 1800, Terry...

None of them ever ran the race.