Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8601 replies to this topic

#7451 kevinbartlett

kevinbartlett

• 154 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:05

Gee you must have had a bad day, being beaten by a Cortina or two is fine but a Viva!

Double Bugger :) Rallied a Brabham Viva at one event, Mini's beat me. :evil:

Advertisement

#7452 Piquet959

Piquet959

• 74 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:04

That's my mate Ray Harrison and Mal Robertson in the Alfa. Engineered by Benincas if my memory is correct
Ray was areal hard charger later drove an RX3 with Mazda Australia backing co driver was Craig Bradtke. That year they came second at Adelaide second at Bathurst and I think third at the Island after leading for most of the race. Alternator lead fell off and we ran out of electricity. Funny about that.

I still think that that is one of the highest front wheel lifts through the Dipper of all time.

Cheers
Peter Sneddon

#7453 VecSpeed

VecSpeed

• 17 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:15

That's my mate Ray Harrison and Mal Robertson in the Alfa. Engineered by Benincas if my memory is correct
Ray was areal hard charger later drove an RX3 with Mazda Australia backing co driver was Craig Bradtke. That year they came second at Adelaide second at Bathurst and I think third at the Island after leading for most of the race. Alternator lead fell off and we ran out of electricity. Funny about that.

I still think that that is one of the highest front wheel lifts through the Dipper of all time.

Cheers
Peter Sneddon

Yeah, when you really look at it, he's got a fair bit of air under there.

#7454 Wirra

Wirra

• 847 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:38

The photo of the inverted Viva at Murray's shown earlier was taken during Saturday practice. ...The Viva 58A received some minor panel damage and a replacement screen after it gently tripped over the first time on Saturday arvo. ...

http://www.autopics....ibiznez?id=9886

#7455 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,607 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:04

Charlie Smith at the Bathurst 500 in 1963 doing a quick wheel change after co-driver Ron Hodgson had fenced it, no safety cars then !

Posted Image
Posted Image

Murray's corner was covered in debris, and if you managed to get a bit wide, very slippery.

With all this talk of 'inversions', I feel I should get in first, and 'fess-up'. I managed to put 57A Beetle on its side, during my dice with Fred Gibson. :blush:

The rules were such that no outside help was allowed, so [with the help of adrenalin?] I somehow managed to get the Beetle off the fence, and back on its wheels - all 10 stone of me. Into the pits for a quick check, then back into it......without dropping a place.

At the end of the race, Rex Ellis [he was the entrant, under Macquarie Motors, Bathurst] remarked "How come there's a big dent in the roof?" :rotfl:

#7456 Stinky

Stinky

• 103 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:09

Hi Guys;
Just a little addition to Greg,s last post.
Rex Ellis used to live about a quarter way down Con Rod.
(Basically a couple of houses below the Light Car Club.)
His driveway used to be used as a Sector Point and to park a Fire Tender and Ambulance.
In the late 60's and early 70,s it was a VERY popular place to be sent as an official. :clap:
Reason 1, Mrs. Ellis was a brilliant cook and you were fed on beautiful food basically on the hour.
Reason 2, The Ellis's had two daughters who were both student nurses in Sydney.
Not really sure but they were either at Royal Norh Shore or Price Alfred.
But that weekend they used to bring a heap of their mates up to stay for the weekend. :lol:
Used to do us young Fire Marshals and Flaggies no end of good. :lol:
Ahhh:
Memories of an Old Bloke. :p
Cheers.
Roger.

#7457 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,527 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:19

Hi Guys;
Just a little addition to Greg,s last post.
Rex Ellis used to live about a quarter way down Con Rod.
(Basically a couple of houses below the Light Car Club.)
His driveway used to be used as a Sector Point and to park a Fire Tender and Ambulance.
In the late 60's and early 70,s it was a VERY popular place to be sent as an official. :clap:
Reason 1, Mrs. Ellis was a brilliant cook and you were fed on beautiful food basically on the hour.
Reason 2, The Ellis's had two daughters who were both student nurses in Sydney.
Not really sure but they were either at Royal Norh Shore or Price Alfred.
But that weekend they used to bring a heap of their mates up to stay for the weekend. :lol:
Used to do us young Fire Marshals and Flaggies no end of good. :lol:
Ahhh:
Memories of an Old Bloke. :p
Cheers.
Roger.

I can check that box :smoking: :clap:

#7458 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,527 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:21

Murray's corner was covered in debris, and if you managed to get a bit wide, very slippery.

With all this talk of 'inversions', I feel I should get in first, and 'fess-up'. I managed to put 57A Beetle on its side, during my dice with Fred Gibson. :blush:

The rules were such that no outside help was allowed, so [with the help of adrenalin?] I somehow managed to get the Beetle off the fence, and back on its wheels - all 10 stone of me. Into the pits for a quick check, then back into it......without dropping a place.

At the end of the race, Rex Ellis [he was the entrant, under Macquarie Motors, Bathurst] remarked "How come there's a big dent in the roof?" :rotfl:

Fabulous story Greg, maybe you should try and emulate the feat in Easter 2013??? :)

#7459 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,082 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:54

Cheers
Peter Sneddon

That Alfa in the early 80s was run in AROCA sprints by the brother of the guy who know owns the ex Bond Alfa GTV V6 race car.
It was restored and painted a dark garnet colour with tan leather trim,is it the car now raced in Group C historics?

Advertisement

#7460 Piquet959

Piquet959

• 74 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:36

No I'm not calling the bluff on that Alfa but I thought it was pretty much destroyed by Frank Porter a couple of years later at PI. I think the accident occurred at the top just after the Hay Shed.
I will check out my old Touring Car books and the Auto Actions of the time and see what I find.
Cheers
Peter

#7461 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,390 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:42

You look at that piece of footage of the Viva rolling and the roof flattening and it still chills me. Lucky bloke to get out unscathed. And a few years later the Bill Brown HO cutting itself in half, equally scarey, and a damn sight faster. Then Kevins infamous roll in the Camaro. The cars got a lot stronger. The Chev looked fine apart from dents and that split Simmons. not quite as violent as Bill Browns maybe but still very hard.Though watching the front clip flex was intersting.
The modern crashes look very spectacular, Coulthards a year or two ago was huge, but partly because all the panels fell off.
You see you did not build the Chev light enough Kevin.

#7462 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,082 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:31

No I'm not calling the bluff on that Alfa but I thought it was pretty much destroyed by Frank Porter a couple of years later at PI. I think the accident occurred at the top just after the Hay Shed.
I will check out my old Touring Car books and the Auto Actions of the time and see what I find.
Cheers
Peter

Your correct Peter,I'm getting it confused with the Gil Gordon car,which i think now runs in group C? :up:

#7463 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 449 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:24

Your correct Peter,I'm getting it confused with the Gil Gordon car,which i think now runs in group C? :up:

Yes, only two Group C 105 Series GTVs still exist, to my knowledge.

Her are a couple of pics of the two restored Gil Gordon Alfas at the recent Geelong Revival.

The second photo shows original driver Graham "Shorty" Harrison and the larger than life Gil Gordon on the Saturday. On the Sunday the other original driver Wayne Renfry turned up. He hadn't seen the car in 36 years... ]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mmm, my first photos posted on this website... :)

#7464 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,082 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:05

Paul,is the above 105 car the one that was for many years painted in a dark garnet colour with tan leather?
in the early 80s i hads the car C.Blanden now has ...sold to his brother Tim,is that the other car ,105 that still is around?

#7465 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 449 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:17

Paul,is the above 105 car the one that was for many years painted in a dark garnet colour with tan leather?
in the early 80s i hads the car C.Blanden now has ...sold to his brother Tim,is that the other car ,105 that still is around?

The 105 GTV had been painted back to its original colour, which was Pino Verde (Pine Green) when the current owner bought it. I think it would have originally had a light coloured trim, but I think it is now dark. I really can't remember off hand.

Yes, the other GTV is the ex-Bell Foley GTV that belongs to Chris Blanden. The original shell (or what was left of it) has been restored up here in the Southern Highlands south of Sydney.

#7466 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 740 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:03

Looks OK to me Lynton, look at the load and tramp on Drivers Left Rear...really hooking into it, under max acceleration, why wouldn't it hoik a wheel?? :cool:

OK, now I'll post the photos that have me thinking it was a setup issue.

Posted Image
Taken the previous lap...Friday

Posted Image
In the esses...same day

Posted Image
esses Saturday

Posted Image
esses Saturday

Posted Image
understeer on entry

Posted Image
KB was also lifting wheels all weekend....so I kept taking pictures of the two of them

Posted Image
near the end of the race

The other thing is how tired he looked with his head laying back like that.

Edited by lyntonh, 18 December 2012 - 07:07.

#7467 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,527 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:56

so he backed off a tad due to tiredness/fatigue???? No more hoilking wheels??

#7468 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 740 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 20:21

I added the head back comment as an after-thought, trying to be tongue in cheek....the wheel's still up if you look closely.

I have several shots over the years of him with his head back, like that, but this one's probably more about the amount of "welly".

My point is that Niel Allen was the only M10 lifting.

#7469 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 740 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:20

Hey, so was I! Didn't quite go on to achieve what that Brock guy did though...

Mini number 110 if you happen to see a photo Lynton!

Remember being overtaken (while towing my Mini with clapped out 52 Chev) on the Hay plains by Aunger towing his Mustang. He was doing a good 40 m.p.h more than me, would have been similar on the straight at Oran Park if we had been in the same race...

And now, in reply to the request above, we present Mini number 110,
in several photos, of moderate quality (to say the least.....but here nevertheless)
including the close-up at the end, where the car was traveling so fast,
that vast clouds of smoke erupted from the front tyres, & in fact, so rapidly,
that I was completely unable to keep up with it, & missed the front of the car!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The rest of you, please scan the photos for any other points of interest you may see,
but all the while admiring the star of the show!!

#7470 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 585 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:39

How come neither the R100 nor the Datsun 1600s are on their roofs?

Bruce Moxon

#7471 Geoff Smedley

Geoff Smedley

• 80 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:49

Talking to Mildren is Stewart Randall, the other one beside the car is Bob Grange. With his foot on the rear wheel of Matich's car is Graham Matich. I think you'll find this is the start of the Examiner Trophy on Saturday afternoon, the third row of the grid.

The red car just visible behind these is the doomed Rocky Tresise Cooper, the young fellow standing alongside of it is probably the late Anthony Davison, eldest of Lex's sons and the one to carry the Davison name to that race meeting.

If you have the first row (P Hill and Clark are the second row), it will have McLaren on pole, Brabham and G Hill in it.

I think I'd like to see more of this selection, Kevin!
Slow on the uptake Ray but the two characters standing behind Frank's car are Garry Smedley (in red shirt) and Bob Ford my minder in 1965, 'just for the records'.....Smed.

#7472 2Bob

2Bob

• 390 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 20:14

Thank you Lynton. Must have been practice with the Mustang there.

Mini 110

Edited by 2Bob, 19 December 2012 - 20:15.

#7473 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,390 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 21:03

And now, in reply to the request above, we present Mini number 110,
in several photos, of moderate quality (to say the least.....but here nevertheless)
including the close-up at the end, where the car was traveling so fast,
that vast clouds of smoke erupted from the front tyres, & in fact, so rapidly,
that I was completely unable to keep up with it, & missed the front of the car!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The rest of you, please scan the photos for any other points of interest you may see,
but all the while admiring the star of the show!!

Just a little understeer there I think Bob.

#7474 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 803 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:46

Can anyone help out with info on these cars/drivers? Catalina Park 1967. No 27 maybe Brian Page with Phil West following?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7475 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,645 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:29

If it is the January 1967 meeting the programme lists...

27 Competition Cars/ M. Champion Repco Brabham 1498
12 P. West Brabham 1098
9 Advanx (Gosford) Motor Service/ A. Boddenberg Lotus 32 1500
24 A. Lazich Piranaha 1098

#7476 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 803 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:58

Terrific. Thanks Michael. Much appreciated.

#7477 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,404 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:41

Yes, this is the later rendition of the Pirahna...

And I don't think Alton Boddenberg ran that stripe on the Lotus for very long.

#7478 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,404 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:47

One of the pics Pat Clarke sent me to post, I believe it's a Bruce Wells shot... no idea of the participants:

Posted Image

#7479 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 266 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 20:11

I have been looking at a lot of Bruce Wells shots on another forum and they are just fantastic.

Dale.

Advertisement

#7480 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 518 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 23:51

One of the pics Pat Clarke sent me to post, I believe it's a Bruce Wells shot... no idea of the participants:

Posted Image

The Fiat 1500 drivers around that period that I remember we're Kevin Fisher & another who came from south of Nowra, Wanddarien I believe it was.

There's was also Jim Tolhurst who only competed in Hillclimbs, hope this helps.

#7481 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,404 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:31

Yes, I remember Kevin Fisher well enough, but I thought his car was a mid-blue which wouldn't show as one of these shades of grey here... but I might be wrong...

And I'm sure you mean Wandandian.

#7482 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 518 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 20:04

Yes, I remember Kevin Fisher well enough, but I thought his car was a mid-blue which wouldn't show as one of these shades of grey here... but I might be wrong...

And I'm sure you mean Wandandian.

Ray I will have to employ you as my resident spell checker :rotfl:

I remember that the Fisher 1500 had a very nice chrome extractor system & was the top U1500cc car until the Cortina came along, he had many fine races in the Fiat at Catalina Park, for the life of me I can not remember the colour but do remember it was the fastest of the Fiat 1500 in NSW at the time.

#7483 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,607 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 21:04

I used to think Kevin Fisher bought that Fiat to beat me. :lol: His black oval-window VW Beetle was no match for my '61 [40hp] car.

The Fiat was a sort of aqua colour. It looked green to me, but it had a lot of blue in it........but that was viewing it via the R/V mirror. :rotfl: I have a couple of photos, however they are B&W.

#7484 ron simmonds

ron simmonds

• 56 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:42

I had a couple of Fiats in the 60,s a Fiat 1100 TV and a MK 2 1500. The 1500 was a great car for the time, good brakes , handling wasn,t to bad once you tied the back suspension down and fitted track rods, it had a very willing 1500cc motor and a snappy 4 speed column shift. I had some sponsorship from Willys Motors in Melbourne, they are no longer around. The Fiat was quite quick, but just a little to heavy, and that is were the Ford Cortina,s had the edge. Harry Firth also drove one in some touring car races. Cheers Simmo.

#7485 launchpad

launchpad

• 95 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:41

OK, now I'll post the photos that have me thinking it was a setup issue.

Posted Image
understeer on entry

Posted Image
KB was also lifting wheels all weekend....so I kept taking pictures of the two of them

The other thing is how tired he looked with his head laying back like that.

I thought this pic from Saturday might show the inside wheel lifting, it doesn't but I like the shot anyway.

Posted Image

Edited by launchpad, 05 January 2013 - 12:43.

#7486 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,390 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 00:47

I used to think Kevin Fisher bought that Fiat to beat me. :lol: His black oval-window VW Beetle was no match for my '61 [40hp] car.

The Fiat was a sort of aqua colour. It looked green to me, but it had a lot of blue in it........but that was viewing it via the R/V mirror. :rotfl: I have a couple of photos, however they are B&W.

Kevin Fisher seems a common motorsport name. I know of two here in SA.

#7487 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 518 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:31

Kevin Fisher, was he not a Polio victim in one leg or was it an arm, whatever his disability was he sure over come it.

#7488 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 740 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 21:57

More shots from 1971 Warwick Farm Tasman.....most likely the Saturday
Taken with my old Praktica Nova and Tamron 70 - 220 zoom.

Posted Image]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7489 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 740 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 22:11

Oran Park 13th December 1969

Posted Image
Practice dummy grid

Posted Image
Crump in Cathy's Clown

Posted Image
Notice the signs....both inside & out....

Posted Image
Brock ran the suspension much stiffer than when Ross Bond had it.
He softened it up, & it went much slower....

#7490 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 740 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 22:13

Posted Image
My only photo of Manny Xuereb....in the esses at Bathurst 1970

Edited by lyntonh, 11 January 2013 - 04:21.

#7491 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 740 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 22:31

Posted Image
Tom Sulman .....practice Bathurst 1970, followed by Bob Rollinghoff (?) & Ray Strong.

#7492 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,022 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 23:10

Great photos as usual Lynton,certainly revives a few memories from the WF & OP meetings,it looks likes Xerub's harness goes over the seat to the floor which was a no-no even back then.

#7493 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,404 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 00:00

Yes, Xuereb's harness was mounted into the rear floor or seat area...

I'm not sure which mounts pulled out of the fibreglassed bodywork, the shoulder straps or the main lap belts.

Worth a mention: The single stripe on the rear of cars at Bathurst means it's the driver's first time there.

#7494 Wirra

Wirra

• 847 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:34

Can anyone fill me in on Bill Brown's early career. I can only recall the SV drives and of course the famous Bathurst roll.

- How lucky was he and the flaggie.

Posted Image

#7495 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 803 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:37

Can't confirm year but 90% sure this is Bill at W Farm - any feedback to the contrary welcome of course. Not a great shot, but a shot nonetheless.
Lynton, that's a very rare shot of Manny Xuereb. I tried searching for his son a few years back with no success at all - I'll try and dig up his contact details.
Great shots as always too.

Posted Image

#7496 launchpad

launchpad

• 95 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:44

Can anyone fill me in on Bill Brown's early career. I can only recall the SV drives and of course the famous Bathurst roll.

- How lucky was he and the flaggie.

Posted Image

Hi Wirra, Try this link to an interview with Bill Brown. http://www.speedcafe.../09/bill-brown/

Also, a pic from the time.

Posted Image
Bill is sitting in the P4.

And at Warwick Farm Creek Corner 1971.

Posted Image

Copyright Rod Mackenzie.

Cheers

#7497 Wirra

Wirra

• 847 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:34

Thanks Launchpad.

Re the interview: Is 'Homebush' a Porsche driver's euphemism for 'The Brickies'?

Posted Image

Edited by Wirra, 11 January 2013 - 05:39.

#7498 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,022 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:49

One of Bills newsagents was in Top Ryde ,a good friend Steven Davis used to work at the shop .And tell a story of on day Bill took him for a ride in the old Porsche and he still to this day cannot believe the speed he did .
Bill was at Eastern Creek a few years back he still much the same.

#7499 launchpad

launchpad

• 95 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:52

Thanks Launchpad.

Re the interview: Is 'Homebush' a Porsche driver's euphemism for 'The Brickies'?

Posted Image

Wirra, I suspect that Homebush was "Brickies" but can't confirm same. Ray Bell is well informed - he may help. As I remember ( similarly to you ) Brickies was the closest to organised motor sport in that part of the world................

However, Bill drove the P4 well as this pic at Warwick Farm indicates.

Posted Image

Advertisement

#7500 wolseley680

wolseley680

• 73 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:54

I was perched in a tree when Bill Brown was coming down the mountain -:

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by wolseley680, 15 January 2013 - 04:12.