• 53,419 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:13

Save up your Tasman shots!

It's coming...

#7603 BUCKLECOUPE

BUCKLECOUPE

• 7 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 19:58

Hi :wave: , First time on here. Tasman cars .. I have 13 pages of photos from 1968 to 1970 Warwick Farm Tasman cars on Brian Darby's website if you wish to look. http://aussieroadrac....com/index.html

#7604 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 746 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 21:34

Hi :wave: , First time on here. Tasman cars .. I have 13 pages of photos from 1968 to 1970 Warwick Farm Tasman cars on Brian Darby's website if you wish to look. http://aussieroadrac....com/index.html

That collection is exceptional.

Thanks Bob

#7605 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,419 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 23:10

Yes, it's exceptional...

There are some Elfin 600s and Monos you could post on the two threads in the Historical Research section of the forum too.

And I noticed that Tim Parnell is there talking with Dick Attwood and not identified.

#7606 launchpad

launchpad

• 95 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:34

Save up your Tasman shots!

It's coming...

Hi Ray, Only a handful of people have seen this shot.........

Posted Image

Rod.

#7607 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,419 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 13:19

Courage out of Newry on the last lap?

It was a big win for Piers, but a sad finale for a great circuit.

#7608 launchpad

launchpad

• 95 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 00:26

Courage out of Newry on the last lap?

It was a big win for Piers, but a sad finale for a great circuit.

You are pretty close Ray. It is Piers Courage entering Newry Corner, but not the last lap. I had walked most of the Flying Mile back towards the pits by the last lap.

Posted Image

This was Graham Hill late in the race - just before Mountford Corner.

Everyone was soaked. It was a real shame Longford didn't survive.

Rod

Edited by launchpad, 16 March 2013 - 00:30.

#7609 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,467 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:18

I've seen a great shot of Clark in practice coming out of Mountford corner - that weekend would have been Clark's second last drive in a 49.

Edited by SJ Lambert, 16 March 2013 - 01:18.

#7610 GD66

GD66

• 2,163 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:48

Graham Hill is using a Turbo-Visor there. Very seldom seen.

#7611 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:32

I've seen a great shot of Clark in practice coming out of Mountford corner - that weekend would have been Clark's second last drive in a 49.

AFAIK it was his last race in a 49. Second last drive? I would be interested to know if he did drive one after Longford.

Rob Saward

#7612 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:34

You are pretty close Ray. It is Piers Courage entering Newry Corner, but not the last lap. I had walked most of the Flying Mile back towards the pits by the last lap.

Sorry but Ray is correct - definitely on exit of Newry. The background on entry is very different. Good photo, thanks for posting it Rod.

Rob Saward

#7613 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,467 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:51

Kyalami would have provided an opportunity?

#7614 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:26

That was before Longford

#7615 launchpad

launchpad

• 95 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:43

Sorry but Ray is correct - definitely on exit of Newry. The background on entry is very different. Good photo, thanks for posting it Rod.

Rob Saward

I'm sorry Rob - I hate it when I post the wrong photo. Ray is right of course, it is on the exit tfrom Newry.
I meant to post this pic which is into Newry Corner. It was used in the race report in Motoring News (UK).
Posted Image

Another shot of the exit shows the ambulance in the background again .
Frank Gardner drove well that day too.
Posted Image

Rod

#7616 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,467 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:31

That was before Longford

Thanks for setting me straight David. Gives that Longford meeting even more of a special place in history.

#7617 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,419 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:03

From what I recall, Sandown was the last race (and the last Grand Prix) Clark won...

And Longford was the last race he finished. I think there's a last pole position in there somewhere too.

#7618 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 13:15

I'm sorry Rob - I hate it when I post the wrong photo. Ray is right of course, it is on the exit tfrom Newry.
I meant to post this pic which is into Newry Corner. It was used in the race report in Motoring News (UK).
Posted Image
Rod

Another wonderful photo. What looks like a country outhouse on the bank of the South Esk River is, I think, actually a pump-house. The remains of that white-painted fence were still there a couple of years ago when I last visited Longford.

As someone who was there that day, it reminds me of just how wet it was. I still have the program which is all rippled from the soaking it got...
Rob Saward

#7619 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,419 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 23:15

Yes, it is a pump-house, with a power pole next to it delivering electricity...

What is the mark in the neg, Rod? It is a nice pic as is the previous one, and it amply shows the tyres to be narrower than those of the bigger cars. Do you have any 'same place' pics of the Lotuses, Brabhams or BRMs to compare tyre width?

Advertisement

#7620 launchpad

launchpad

• 95 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:38

Yes, it is a pump-house, with a power pole next to it delivering electricity...

What is the mark in the neg, Rod? It is a nice pic as is the previous one, and it amply shows the tyres to be narrower than those of the bigger cars. Do you have any 'same place' pics of the Lotuses, Brabhams or BRMs to compare tyre width?

Hi Ray, This pic compares the tyre width as requested.
The mark is damage to the neg (since 1968). I can photoshop it out.

Posted Image

Rod

#7621 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,419 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:55

Good one...

We need that in the Who was the first Rain Master thread.

#7622 launchpad

launchpad

• 95 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:22

Good one...

We need that in the Who was the first Rain Master thread.

Glad to oblige Ray.
(Anyone on Facebook can look at my Rod Mackenzie Collection page to see some more of my photos.)

Rod

Edited by launchpad, 18 March 2013 - 07:30.

#7623 SteveHolmes

SteveHolmes

• 60 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 00:29

I love this thread, 191 pages long and still going strong! These pics weren't taken by me sorry, but they were supplied to me by the person who did, Bruce Wells, to post up on a website I run which celebrates motorsport history. But I thought you folks would enjoy them anyway.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7624 SteveHolmes

SteveHolmes

• 60 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 00:32

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7625 SteveHolmes

SteveHolmes

• 60 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 00:35

By the way, the opening two photos are of Ken Miles in the 427 Cobra at the 1965 Lakeside TT. Next two are from Catalina Park. The two here are Catalina Park again, with Spencer Martin in the Ferrari, and Bathurst 1964.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7626 SteveHolmes

SteveHolmes

• 60 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 00:38

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7627 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,419 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:58

Originally posted by SteveHolmes
I love this thread, 191 pages long and still going strong! These pics weren't taken by me sorry, but they were supplied to me by the person who did, Bruce Wells, to post up on a website I run which celebrates motorsport history. But I thought you folks would enjoy them anyway.

Posted Image

Is Miles here spinning into, in or out of the Karrussell?

By the way, Steve, Tinypic is notoriously unreliable, your pics will disappear before people stop enjoying them.

#7628 SteveHolmes

SteveHolmes

• 60 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:01

Thanks Ray, yes I had heard that of Tinypic. Fingers crossed!

Re the Cobra, it apparently suffered rear suspension failure at Lakeside, which was said to be due to the rough nature of the track. That being said, Lakeside had only been open four years when these photos were taken, its hard to imagine it could have been that rough. But that would explain the sideways angle of the car. All the photos Bruce took of the Cobra that weekend have Miles hustling it along at similar angles.

#7629 Pat Clarke

Pat Clarke

• 1,962 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:31

Posted Image

Posted Image

Interesting that Sir Jack is wearing the Buco helmet popular at the time, without the stupid chin cup!

Pat

Edit, as is GH in the pic above him!

Edited by Pat Clarke, 22 March 2013 - 10:32.

#7630 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,419 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 13:20

Originally posted by SteveHolmes
Thanks Ray, yes I had heard that of Tinypic. Fingers crossed!

Re the Cobra, it apparently suffered rear suspension failure at Lakeside, which was said to be due to the rough nature of the track. That being said, Lakeside had only been open four years when these photos were taken, its hard to imagine it could have been that rough. But that would explain the sideways angle of the car. All the photos Bruce took of the Cobra that weekend have Miles hustling it along at similar angles.

Tinypic will ensure these photos disappear as soon as it likes... Imageshack or Photobucket are much better...

My question about the Cobra is that it's facing the wrong way. Or it certainly seems to be. That kind of Armco fence I can only remember seeing at Lakeside around the Karrussell, round the outside only. And I do assure you that Ken Miles didn't always have that car pointed the right way all weekend.

As for the roughness of the track, that was simply a product of the clay subsoil and perhaps some lack of underpinning. But there were other issues, at that time there was a tree at the back of the paddock area which had a root growing up under the track in the general direction of Sid's hospitality box... this was the ever-growing bump near the apex of the long and fast right-hander down the back of the circuit. The run through the kink was a bit bumpy and some other spots.

The circuit had been resurfaced about 18 months before this meeting, in fact, after the raising of the level of the main straight because the level of Lake Kurwongbah was lifted. This led to a trade of land between the Pine Rivers Shire and the Sakzewskis for which the paperwork was never completed. This became the reason that nobody could buy Lakeside when Geoff Sakzewski ran into financial troubles with the circuit and why the Council now owns the property.

I used to love heading for Lakeside from Sydney. It was always a great weekend away and this particular weekend was tremendous. It was a race Frank Matich was supposed to win, but that aforementioned bump caught him out in June or July and so the Lotus 19 breathed its last. Then it was impossible for Frank Gardner to lose, but the Maserati engine blew itself apart on the second lap of his preliminary race... and so history is written and Pete Geoghegan took the win.

The Cobra was the star attraction, but it was in reality only a bit player in the event. But couldn't it accelerate! Miles spun coming onto the straight one lap in practice and Bob Jane in the lightweight E=type had a full bucket of revs coming out of the corner as he straightened it up. I swear, with Miles taking off from near-stopped that Jag never got any closer!
t

#7631 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,407 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 22:01

Interesting that Sir Jack is wearing the Buco helmet popular at the time, without the stupid chin cup!

Pat

I like the 'glare strip' on Grahams goggles.
And these days Cottees would be paying plenty for the bottle in his hand. Remember Cottees drinks, another brand of the past.

Also the above pic of the EH Prem in front of the Valiant S. Where is that taken? It looks like the bottom of conrod but surely that was never that narrow.
The cars at that event and the Catalina one are heavily taped on the front to stop stone damage.
Petes Mustang is not, though he probably expected to be in front!

#7632 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 267 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 23:07

Also the above pic of the EH Prem in front of the Valiant S. Where is that taken? It looks like the bottom of conrod but surely that was never that narrow.

Yes that's the bottom of conrod.
Dale.

#7633 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,612 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 23:13

And these days Cottees would be paying plenty for the bottle in his hand. Remember Cottees drinks, another brand of the past.

The cars at that event and the Catalina one are heavily taped on the front to stop stone damage.

Ahhh yes.....Cottes 'Passiona'. :up:

Not sure about the bottom of Con-rod, Lee, although it WAS that narrow. :eek: That tree near the track edge doesn't ring a bell ['though it would if you hit it].

#7634 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,407 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:47

Ahhh yes.....Cottes 'Passiona'. :up:

Not sure about the bottom of Con-rod, Lee, although it WAS that narrow. :eek: That tree near the track edge doesn't ring a bell ['though it would if you hit it].

The pic is about your vintage. Or where you hanging on too hard to notice the scenery?
I bet the current hotshots would hve a kitten if they saw that track!

#7635 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,022 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:59

Pat

Is that a young Ian Lees with Saint Jack or another mechanic?.

#7636 SteveHolmes

SteveHolmes

• 60 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:56

Tinypic will ensure these photos disappear as soon as it likes... Imageshack or Photobucket are much better...

My question about the Cobra is that it's facing the wrong way. Or it certainly seems to be. That kind of Armco fence I can only remember seeing at Lakeside around the Karrussell, round the outside only. And I do assure you that Ken Miles didn't always have that car pointed the right way all weekend.

As for the roughness of the track, that was simply a product of the clay subsoil and perhaps some lack of underpinning. But there were other issues, at that time there was a tree at the back of the paddock area which had a root growing up under the track in the general direction of Sid's hospitality box... this was the ever-growing bump near the apex of the long and fast right-hander down the back of the circuit. The run through the kink was a bit bumpy and some other spots.

The circuit had been resurfaced about 18 months before this meeting, in fact, after the raising of the level of the main straight because the level of Lake Kurwongbah was lifted. This led to a trade of land between the Pine Rivers Shire and the Sakzewskis for which the paperwork was never completed. This became the reason that nobody could buy Lakeside when Geoff Sakzewski ran into financial troubles with the circuit and why the Council now owns the property.

I used to love heading for Lakeside from Sydney. It was always a great weekend away and this particular weekend was tremendous. It was a race Frank Matich was supposed to win, but that aforementioned bump caught him out in June or July and so the Lotus 19 breathed its last. Then it was impossible for Frank Gardner to lose, but the Maserati engine blew itself apart on the second lap of his preliminary race... and so history is written and Pete Geoghegan took the win.

The Cobra was the star attraction, but it was in reality only a bit player in the event. But couldn't it accelerate! Miles spun coming onto the straight one lap in practice and Bob Jane in the lightweight E=type had a full bucket of revs coming out of the corner as he straightened it up. I swear, with Miles taking off from near-stopped that Jag never got any closer!
t

Thats a really great post Ray, I enjoyed reading that. I'm impressed by your memory. This event was nearly 50 years ago! And you're right about the track resurfacing being approx 18 months before this event. We had another member on The Roaring Season post up his own photos taken at the 1964 ATCC event, and the surface looked very new. The 1964 ATCC was held in July 1964, and the 1965 TT held in November 1965.

Re the Mildren-Maserati, I didn't realise this car was driven by Frank Gardner. I assumed it was Ralph Sach. And of course you're right about the cars dropping like flies. There seem to have been at least a couple of heats prior to the main TT, which claimed a few of them. And of course the Ron Thorpe Cobra was also there, but was famously disqualified.

Posted Image

#7637 SteveHolmes

SteveHolmes

• 60 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:57

Yep thats right Lee, its off the bottom of Conrod. Looks terrifying doesn't it!

#7638 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,407 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:02

Yep thats right Lee, its off the bottom of Conrod. Looks terrifying doesn't it!

It looks like a secondary country road except for the signs on the fence.

#7639 wagons46

wagons46

• 255 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:51

And this is 1964, the second of the Bathurst 500's and at a time when the Easter meetings were huge as well. I can't remember it being that primative, but it must have been.

Advertisement

#7640 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,022 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:01

It sure was very primative nearly all the way around in 1964,and it stayed that way before a upgrade in the 70,s.

#7641 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,612 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:28

And this is 1964, the second of the Bathurst 500's and at a time when the Easter meetings were huge as well. I can't remember it being that primative, but it must have been.

I drove at the Easter the and 500 meetings in 1963, and that's how it looked. Perhaps I didn't notice that tree, as it was not on 'my side' of the car. :lol:

Lee is probably right.....most likely too busy trying to prevent the Beetle from becoming front-engined.

To celebrate 50 years this Easter, I'm having a run at the FoSC meeting at Wakefield Park next weekend [Easter]. There are Minis that need to be put in their place. :wave:

#7642 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 301 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:42

It sure was very primative nearly all the way around in 1964,and it stayed that way before a upgrade in the 70,s.

I think there may have been some work done at Bathurst in the mid 60's but it certainly remained pretty bad until the upgrade works done during the 1970's.

I first drove there in 1968 in the Turner and as I recall the first half of Mountain Straight was then pretty fresh and much better than the second half which was much the same as this photo of the bottom of Con Rod. The road narrowed at the end of the new work half way up the hill which made life pretty interesting!! I had a great battle with Bob Skelton in the BMC Lightweight Midget and when we arrived at the narrow bit it was so bumpy that there was barely enough room for both of us.

My memory of Con Rod is that, by 1968, it had not changed much from this 1964 photo. It may by then have been a little wider but was certainly still very narrow and so bumpy that there were times when it was difficult to run alongside another car at speed without periodic side to side contact. By the end of our race both Bob's car and mine showed combat scars as evidence of that!!

The work done in the early 70's was prompted by major crashes at the 1969 Gold Star meeting when both Leo's Lotus 39 and John Harvey's Brabham literally bounced off the road going over the top of the mountain in practice. During the Gold Star race KB broke a rear upright on the Brabham Alfa and I think that was also the meeting at which Bevan Gibson was killed going over the final hump on Con Rod straight.

#7643 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,419 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:54

The Bathurst photo is 1963...

That was the only year the S4s ran there. So that would probably be Bob Cook's Valiant trying to lose speed behind it.

#7644 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,407 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:05

That was the only year the S4s ran there. So that would probably be Bob Cook's Valiant trying to lose speed behind it.

S4 was a EH Special, that is a Premier. Losing speed is very apt for those cars as they both had a fair straight line speed, 110mph + but the braking was a bit average.

That pic actually looks a lot more 'bushie' whereas now it is quite lush land.

#7645 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,612 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:13

It was 1964, Holden Premier - McLeod / Williams

#7646 fnqvmuch

fnqvmuch

• 111 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 16:10

... and Bathurst 1964.

Posted Image

speaking from almost perfect ignorance - compared to you blokes
(i'ld have been maybe four or so, and have never been near the place )
but surely that's somewhere on top of the mountain?
imho not so much a straight, rather a bend - down - to camera-left, in the background ...
if we are talking about the same thing, of course - otherwise i'll delete this and go away
steven

#7647 launchpad

launchpad

• 95 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 20:29

speaking from almost perfect ignorance - compared to you blokes
(i'ld have been maybe four or so, and have never been near the place )
but surely that's somewhere on top of the mountain?
imho not so much a straight, rather a bend - down - to camera-left, in the background ...
if we are talking about the same thing, of course - otherwise i'll delete this and go away
steven

Hi Steven, Here is a pic from 1969 to compare.
This is after the race at the bottom of Conrod (after the second hump - which does not exist anymore!).
You can see the telephone post on the left, and the same tree behind it - a bit to the right. The tree has grown in six years.
I agree however, that the amount of change in circuits make it hard to understand how brave the drivers were to race on circuits as they were.
ps Don't delete it - we need people like you who are interested enough to ask.
Rod
Posted Image

#7648 Wirra

Wirra

• 847 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 20:40

See this film (what a gem) at around 3.10

#7649 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,612 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 21:35

Well done Steven.....look what you have 'flushed out'.

Totally agree with Rod, and that shot shows how much improvement was made since the '64 shot. :up: The left side [traveling down Con-rod] is much safer, particularly with 'that tree' gone.

The Bevan Gibson incident that Paul mentioned is the most horrific of my memories of Bathurst. Watching from the fence closest to Murray's corner [I was driving the Elfin Vee at that meeting, Easter, 1969], the scene was one that I never wish to see the likes of again.

Edited by GMACKIE, 24 March 2013 - 23:33.

#7650 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 585 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 22:51

That's what it was - with signs on the fence.

Bruce Moxon