Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8815 replies to this topic

#7651 SteveHolmes

SteveHolmes

• 60 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:47

This shot, featuring the Brian Foley/Bill Buckle Citroen DS better demonstrates the potential hazards any sort of failure off the end of Conrod could have. The flimsy wooden fence on the outside of the track protecting cars from the trees lining them is just a slight improvement over that of the inside of the track, where there is no protection whatsoever. Mount Panorama has come a long way since this photo was taken, and I think many modern drivers probably wouldn't appreciate how good they have it now.

This race was just the second running of what is now the annual Bathurst 1000. Back then it was 500 miles.

Posted Image

Advertisement

#7652 SteveHolmes

SteveHolmes

• 60 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:55

The Dipper is still a wild section of track at Bathurst, but its been toned down somewhat over the years for safety reasons. This is what it was like back in 1964. It really dropped away quite violently, and note the inside banking waiting to tip any driver on their lid if they got too close.

This is the Brian Reed/Lorraine Hill Imp which finished 13th in Class A. It completed 108 laps, each of which must have made for a terrifying journey of discovery.

Posted Image

#7653 SteveHolmes

SteveHolmes

• 60 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:03

You can see how this section of track gained its name. The track was 'cut' right into the hill. The inside bank is a vertical wall. Note on the outside of the track the spectators can venture right to the edge, and one bloke up there is one small stumble away from sliding down onto the track to join the racing!

The Cortina is that of Barry Seton/Herb Taylor, chasing the Tony Allen/Tony Reynolds Triumph. Back then Bathurst didn't celebrate an overall winner, rather the winners in each class, although obviously only one car could complete the distance having covered the most laps. The Seton/Taylor Cortina finished second in Class C, and would have been classified second overall had there been such a classification.

Posted Image

#7654 SteveHolmes

SteveHolmes

• 60 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:17

Moving away from Bathurst, to the little Hume Weir track, near Albury in Victoria. I really love this photo. This was a challenging little circuit, built in an old quarry, and now long since closed. This particular section of track has the cars racing past each other in opposite directions. The section on the left of picture cuts a sharp left beneath the bridge, then curves back around the the right and across the start/finish line.

Pictured here are the FX Holdens of, I believe, Bill Jane (Bob's brother) and Norm Beechey. Note the spectators at the edges of the banks way up above the track. Health & Safety would have a fit seeing this!

Posted Image

#7655 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,742 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:32

You can see how this section of track gained its name. The track was 'cut' right into the hill. The inside bank is a vertical wall. Note on the outside of the track the spectators can venture right to the edge, and one bloke up there is one small stumble away from sliding down onto the track to join the racing!

The Cortina is that of Barry Seton/Herb Taylor, chasing the Tony Allen/Tony Reynolds Triumph. Back then Bathurst didn't celebrate an overall winner, rather the winners in each class, although obviously only one car could complete the distance having covered the most laps. The Seton/Taylor Cortina finished second in Class C, and would have been classified second overall had there been such a classification.

Posted Image

What great photos, Steve. :up:

That bloke on the edge of the bank is a very brave flaggie, showing the blue flag to one of the Tonys........ the days before O H & S :eek:

#7656 SteveHolmes

SteveHolmes

• 60 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:02

Wow, is that a flaggie! I wonder if he got paid danger-money?

#7657 SteveHolmes

SteveHolmes

• 60 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:04

By the way, theres hundreds more over at The Roaring Season. Bruce sent me approx 900 photos altogether. I'm still uploading them. I need to go back and resize many so they're larger.

#7658 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 799 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:06

Murray's Corner at Easter 1970

Posted Image
First, looking over the pit entry gate towards the braking area. Graham Ryan's Torana on the trailer.

Posted Image
Then, at the apex. The yellow flaggie looks bored.....& the "enjoy" bit of the sign looks like someone has "enjoyed" it.
Ann Thomson's Mini.

Edited by lyntonh, 24 March 2013 - 03:13.

#7659 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:59

Great Bathurst shots. The Wells collection looks terrific Steve, can't wait to see more. Really like that Hume Weir shot - absolute classic.
Can anyone help me with the cars/drivers in these shots from Oran Park 1967. I know the car in front of Ron Reid, Sulman Singer is a long shot.

Posted Image

Posted Image
No 52, No 31

Posted Image
No 13?

Edited by ellrosso, 24 March 2013 - 04:05.

Advertisement

#7660 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 792 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:22

I believe no. 31 is the Holden powered Nota Din driven at that time by Michael Rock. What about the RHF wheel on the Sulman Singer !

#7661 johnny yuma

johnny yuma

• 928 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:32

Moving away from Bathurst, to the little Hume Weir track, near Albury in Victoria. I really love this photo. This was a challenging little circuit, built in an old quarry, and now long since closed. This particular section of track has the cars racing past each other in opposite directions. The section on the left of picture cuts a sharp left beneath the bridge, then curves back around the the right and across the start/finish line.

Pictured here are the FX Holdens of, I believe, Bill Jane (Bob's brother) and Norm Beechey. Note the spectators at the edges of the banks way up above the track. Health & Safety would have a fit seeing this!

Posted Image

Yes it's Bill Jane,not sure about the other,Beechey mostly ran with his P.K. numberplate.

And I think the pits and start/finish line are BEHIND the photographer,not the other way around as stated ?

Edited by johnny yuma, 24 March 2013 - 07:36.

#7662 Stinky

Stinky

• 103 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:01

Hullo Greg;
Yes, I will agree the Bevan Gibson incident was horrific.
But the one the following Easter involving Tom Sulman was just as bad.
Fortunately Tom,s accident was further away from spectators and the Pit area.
I can speak from first hand experience on both these incidents as I was on the Fire Tender that attended both.
In the Bevan Gibson incident I received second degree burns to part of my face when we drove through the fire.
After the Tom Sulman incident the Chief Medical Officer (Dr. Alchin) stood the three of us down from duty.
The worst thing about the Bevan Gibson incident was the shockingly inaccurate reports in the following days daily papers. :mad:
Another thing that really hurt was when I arrived to work there was some very hurtful comments made by very uninformed people that took the paper reports as gospel! :mad:

Cheers.
Roger.

#7663 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,923 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:06

See this film (what a gem) at around 3.10

Might that be a young Bill Peach commentating? Did he have a typo on his info sheet? (Hill Corner vice Hell Corner?)....I know! Questions!!

Fabulous moving picture Wirra...Thanks :up:

#7664 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,923 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:14

What great photos, Steve. :up:

That bloke on the edge of the bank is a very brave flaggie, showing the blue flag to one of the Tonys........ the days before O H & S :eek:

Nah Grigor....that's what Flaggies do (real Flaggies, anyway!)..nice wide stance...good Flag technique....eyes on the eyes of the Drivers......I'd say a well experienced fella :wave:

#7665 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,923 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:17

Hullo Greg;
Yes, I will agree the Bevan Gibson incident was horrific.
But the one the following Easter involving Tom Sulman was just as bad.
Fortunately Tom,s accident was further away from spectators and the Pit area.
I can speak from first hand experience on both these incidents as I was on the Fire Tender that attended both.
In the Bevan Gibson incident I received second degree burns to part of my face when we drove through the fire.
After the Tom Sulman incident the Chief Medical Officer (Dr. Alchin) stood the three of us down from duty.
The worst thing about the Bevan Gibson incident was the shockingly inaccurate reports in the following days daily papers. :mad:
Another thing that really hurt was when I arrived to work there was some very hurtful comments made by very uninformed people that took the paper reports as gospel! :mad:

Cheers.
Roger.

I understand your pain Roger...tough gig....and I'm not talking about your burns (as bad as they might have been), Cheers Mick :up:

#7666 Wirra

Wirra

• 898 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:09

...the Bevan Gibson incident was horrific....

I remember the excitement as he drove up the mountain... here was a young driver getting his big chance, the whole crowd was willing him on. I viewed the whole incident - such a tradegy.

Posted Image

#7667 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,882 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:16

Yes, in the Hume Weir pic the start/finish area is still ahead of the cars in pic, to the right of the camera...

There are secure (railway line and wire) fences containing the people at the top of the cliffs, actually quite safe... and in the Bathurst shot there were NO spectators directly overlooking the cutting. If you look carefully at the pic there's a rabbit-wire fence heading off at 90° or so to the fence along the road perimeter, spectators could come no closer than that fence.

As for the flaggie waving the blue, in my opinion he is too high to be of a lot of value to the drivers, especially when the drivers got that close.

I also agree that it's not Beechey in the Hume Weir pic, I think I recall a car that had those patches under the headlights and I'll work on that. The car in front of the Sulman Singer is, I'm fairly sure, the Lynx as driven by Colin Bond and Peter Ulbrich (sp?).

Could one of the cars ahead of Michael Rock be Brian Pugh?

#7668 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,742 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 20:50

That flaggie was actually very well placed.

As you come up into 'The Cutting', he would be directly in your line of sight......very handy if there is an incident [out of sight] ahead, and he is waving the yellow flag.

What a great job those blokes did, and [along with the girls] still do. :clap:

Edited by GMACKIE, 24 March 2013 - 23:40.

#7669 rms

rms

• 109 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 21:26

Is car 13 Trevor (Spike) Jones ?

#7670 DJH

DJH

• 168 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 21:47

Might that be a young Bill Peach commentating? Did he have a typo on his info sheet? (Hill Corner vice Hell Corner?)....I know! Questions!!

Fabulous moving picture Wirra...Thanks :up:

That'd be Norman " Nugget " May speaking.

#7671 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,882 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 22:25

Originally posted by Wirra
I remember the excitement as he drove up the mountain... here was a young driver getting his big chance, the whole crowd was willing him on. I viewed the whole incident - such a tradegy.

Posted Image

Peter, knowing you saw it from that angle I can appreciate what kind of a view you had of the incident...

Graphic detail.

#7672 Stinky

Stinky

• 103 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 22:28

Hi Greg;
You are skating on thin ice mate!! :lol: :lol:
Calling our female flaggies blokes!! :lol:
Have been female flaggies for near 30years now.
Bloody good they are too. :clap:
A little aside.
My good wife and her mate were the first two female flaggies back in the seventies.
Until drivers found out there were girls on flagpoints there were some VERY funny incidents. :lol: :blush:
Cheers.
Roger.

#7673 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,778 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 22:33

Yes it's Bill Jane,not sure about the other,Beechey mostly ran with his P.K. numberplate.

And I think the pits and start/finish line are BEHIND the photographer,not the other way around as stated ?

Truth in advertising? Leading racing car drivers use Lukey Mufflers? Maybe, but in that period especially not on their racing cars. I am glad to see that nothing has changed!

#7674 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,923 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 22:43

That'd be Norman " Nugget " May speaking.

What!! no way...not enough mistakes, fumbles and strange assertions about a subject Nugget (RIP) knew little about :)

[then again....Bill Reynolds in the "Superannuated" Robin Orlando MG....hmmmmm]

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 24 March 2013 - 22:59.

#7675 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,742 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 23:44

Hi Greg;
You are skating on thin ice mate!! :lol: :lol:
Calling our female flaggies blokes!! :lol:
Cheers.
Roger.

All fixed, Roger......I refuse to use that ridiculous expression, " Guys ".

#7676 johnny yuma

johnny yuma

• 928 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 23:53

Nah Grigor....that's what Flaggies do (real Flaggies, anyway!)..nice wide stance...good Flag technique....eyes on the eyes of the Drivers......I'd say a well experienced fella :wave:

Far be it from me to criticise flaggies--I've done it once only at Amaroo, and even if nothing happens it's stressful--but did anyone see the white XU1 spin on the high speed entry to the straight at Phillip Island on 9 March.
A slow lose,eventually nosed the wall halfway down pit counters where windscreen popped out and he abandoned ship pronto.Trouble was,from then for several laps cars entering the straight "suddenly" became aware of the car at
a 45 degree angle stopped,and did avoidances as though they had not seen any yellow flags.There was a gallant young woman waving a yellow through a gap in the fence right beside the car door,who was getting RSI of the arm after about 10 minutes with no relief...and competitors seemed to be proceeding at full pace.

#7677 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:43

rms, yes I think that is Spike Jones in the SM Special. I have an RCN from 1967 with the Sept 24th OP meeting in which Trevor Jones won 2 races in his SM Special.
It mentions a Lynx driven by Peter Ganderton. Mentions Ron Reid and also Helmut Wogg Elfin Imp which I'm pretty sure is in another neg I have from the same set.
Another pic also has the Techno 250 of Howard Heath so odds on the meeting and photos are one and the same - no mention of Michael Rock though....

#7678 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,882 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:05

Check the July 2 meeting, I think it's much more likely...

Originally posted by Lee Nicolle
Truth in advertising? Leading racing car drivers use Lukey Mufflers? Maybe, but in that period especially not on their racing cars. I am glad to see that nothing has changed!

I think you'll find that in that period Len Lukey and Jack Myers, at least two of the leading racing drivers of the time, used Lukey mufflers. Probably a bunch of others too. That the sign mentions 'fuel economy' too implies that it's not really talking about using them on their racing cars.

That sign went up at the start of 1961 when Lukey sponsored the International meeting there.

#7679 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,882 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:12

Originally posted by ellrosso
.....Can anyone help me with the cars/drivers in these shots from Oran Park 1967. I know the car in front of Ron Reid, Sulman Singer is a long shot.

Posted Image

I will now confidently say it's Colin Bond just after he's lapped Ron Reid...

July 2 1967, the race was won by Leo Geoghegan.

Advertisement

#7680 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:32

Dick, you're correct re Michael Rock Nota Din, just found a shot in RCN Amaroo August 1967 report. Thanks everyone for your help - much appreciated.

#7681 DJH

DJH

• 168 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:52

What!! no way...not enough mistakes, fumbles and strange assertions about a subject Nugget (RIP) knew little about :)

[then again....Bill Reynolds in the "Superannuated" Robin Orlando MG....hmmmmm]

Norman May did quite a lot of ABC motor sport commentary during the 1960's. Old Warwick Farm video is usally credited with his voice. I didn't know Nugget had left us, are you sure about that?

Edited by DJH, 25 March 2013 - 04:53.

#7682 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 799 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:17

Norman May did quite a lot of ABC motor sport commentary during the 1960's. Old Warwick Farm video is usally credited with his voice. I didn't know Nugget had left us, are you sure about that?

Wikiwhatever says that he still lives & breathes.

One of my pet hates was the ABC using him to call several sports about which he had not a clue.

But even more galling was the Channel Seven insistence in allowing Mike Raymond to single-handedly
convert Australian motorsport terminology to a bastardization of Speedway & American talk,
with straightaways, drafting & all the other irritating little changes that have now stuck like s to a b.

Edited by lyntonh, 25 March 2013 - 05:18.

#7683 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,882 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:25

Yeah...

Just what is 'the stripe'? Or is it 'the strike'?

Not to mention names like 'the Baby-Faced Assassin' and 'The Enforcer'...

#7684 Stinky

Stinky

• 103 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:40

Hi All;
Another commentator you will find on the early Farm films is Bert Oliver. (a very distant relation of mine.)
He used to call the gallops for the ABC.
He used horse racing terms to try to call a car event. :confused:
If you can find a film with him commentating it is a complete hoot!! :rotfl:
I have one of his better ones.
It was,I think an AJC Trophy race for touring cars.
Pete G had a bit of an off in the Mustang and was picking up the field at a great rate of knots.
Poor old Bert was really carried away and nearly said that Pete had pulled the whip!! :lol:
It's a great thing to listen to if you can find it.
It may be on the old Touring Car seies DVD,s.
Cheers.
Roger. :wave:

#7685 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,923 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:06

By the way, theres hundreds more over at The Roaring Season. Bruce sent me approx 900 photos altogether. I'm still uploading them. I need to go back and resize many so they're larger.

http://www.theroarin...ction-Hume-Weir

Page 1, Section 6: has anyone else spotted the incredible front coil-sprung stabiliser bar arrangement under the Falcon....looks impressive, wonder if it worked?

#7686 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,923 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:36

Maybe not (sorry nugget)....but I'm sure that I have heard Norman May and Bill Peach enough (or someone who sounds just like him) to know the difference....tis a pity there were no credits at the end of that beaut little filum

#7687 Wirra

Wirra

• 898 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:54

"Gold! Gold! Gold". That’s ‘Nugget’ for sure, I’d bet my right testicle (I lost the left in an earlier bet).

OT, but who remembers the great Monday night lineup of the Tele-Goons and Sports Cavalcade? I read that all that 'Cavalcade' sporting footage was on 16mmm film and it’s all now with the National Archives.

Edited by Wirra, 25 March 2013 - 08:58.

#7688 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,923 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:13

"Gold! Gold! Gold". That’s ‘Nugget’ for sure, I’d bet my right testicle (I lost the left in an earlier bet).

OT, but who remembers the great Monday night lineup of the Tele-Goons and Sports Cavalcade? I read that all that 'Cavalcade' sporting footage was on 16mmm film and it’s all now with the National Archives.

That right gonad might be in danger fella.... :p

Loved the Telegoons...and yes, Sports Cavalcade are in the NFSA

http://colsearch.nfs...c=0;resCount=10

#7689 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,882 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:45

Good spot on the front of that Falcon, Mick...

Who knows what it's about?

The thing that really perturbs me watching an old telecast of the Farm with Norman May commentating now is his insistent that viewers needed to know which numbers they were talking about, not the names of the drivers... he would go through a couple of sentences using the names, and then he'd emphatically add:

"So that's No 7 leading No 14, while No 10 is in the pits..."

#7690 wolseley680

wolseley680

• 77 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 00:46

The commentator that amused me in those days was Ken McPhail although I don't think he got a TV gig but he did have a radio programme, 3GL? Motorsports of the air. I remember watching him at Lakelands Hill Climb on the terrace opposite the start line, he was standing behind his car (Austin?), the microphone leading to an amplifier in the boot. His voice seemed to attract impersonators in the pits and elsewhere.

#7691 ron simmonds

ron simmonds

• 56 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:27

:) :)

The commentator that amused me in those days was Ken McPhail although I don't think he got a TV gig but he did have a radio programme, 3GL? Motorsports of the air. I remember watching him at Lakelands Hill Climb on the terrace opposite the start line, he was standing behind his car (Austin?), the microphone leading to an amplifier in the boot. His voice seemed to attract impersonators in the pits and elsewhere.

The late Ken Mc Phail also known as "fumbles" was very nice chap, and was responsible for my getting into commentary way back in the Templestowe Hillclimb days, and at Lakeland, with the amp gear in the boot of his Vanguard. Some times he and his lovely wife Shirley would arrive in his Triumph TR2. I did a couple of stints at the radio station 3GL in Geelong, one when I was "running in" my GpC Cooper 'S' in preparation for the Sandown 3Hour in 1969, we (Andy McIntyer) were running late, and Ken kept up the chatter until we arrived, we could just pick up 3GL on the transistor radio that was hanging of the rear view mirror,( remember those days) it was a very quick run in, believe me,and no cameras in those days.

Great days, Cheers Simmo.

#7692 Stinky

Stinky

• 103 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:08

Hi All;
Just had a quck look at the roaring seasons photos of Hume Wier.
The MGA with the open wheelers with the old NSW black and white plate (YW 903) is Ross Bond.
I think that was his first race car.
Only had it for a season or two and upgraded to his very well known Healy 3000.
The Healy, I believe, only had one DNF in over sixty starts.
He had one DNF in private practice at Oran Park when it caught fire and he drove it into the dam that used to be drivers left at Suttons. :lol:
Of course,when regulations changed he bought the Bolwell.
As you know,that car was near unbeatable too.
A thought, are any of Ross's cars still about??
Any info appreciated.
Cheers.
Roger. : :|

#7693 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,882 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:22

The dam was inside BP...

I've identified a lot of pics on that thread, but there's still some to go. Am I right in suggesting that Ken Webb owned the MG and the Healey?

#7694 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,778 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:26

Hi All;
Another commentator you will find on the early Farm films is Bert Oliver. (a very distant relation of mine.)
He used to call the gallops for the ABC.
He used horse racing terms to try to call a car event. :confused:
If you can find a film with him commentating it is a complete hoot!! :rotfl:
I have one of his better ones.
It was,I think an AJC Trophy race for touring cars.
Pete G had a bit of an off in the Mustang and was picking up the field at a great rate of knots.
Poor old Bert was really carried away and nearly said that Pete had pulled the whip!! :lol:
It's a great thing to listen to if you can find it.
It may be on the old Touring Car seies DVD,s.
Cheers.
Roger. :wave:

Aunty had some DREADFUL commentators in that period. And very average filming too.You will find some of those races on You Tube.

#7695 Stinky

Stinky

• 103 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:41

Hullo Ray;
From memory there were two dams.
The one you are talking about drivers left going into BP (behind the tree that someone hit in a Lotus 23 or such) and the one at Suttons.
Maybe I am being generous calling it a dam but it had quite a bit of water in it.
Cheers.
Roger.

#7696 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,923 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:49

Bill Peach was a boarder at Saint Stanislaus, Bathurst in 1958....a short walk to Mount Panorama....muhhhaaaahhh :rotfl:

#7697 BUCKLECOUPE

BUCKLECOUPE

• 9 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 21:07

Hi All;
Just had a quck look at the roaring seasons photos of Hume Wier.
The MGA with the open wheelers with the old NSW black and white plate (YW 903) is Ross Bond.
I think that was his first race car.
Only had it for a season or two and upgraded to his very well known Healy 3000.
The Healy, I believe, only had one DNF in over sixty starts.
He had one DNF in private practice at Oran Park when it caught fire and he drove it into the dam that used to be drivers left at Suttons. :lol:
Of course,when regulations changed he bought the Bolwell.
As you know,that car was near unbeatable too.
A thought, are any of Ross's cars still about??
Any info appreciated.
Cheers.
Roger. : :|

Hi Roger,
I remember Ross Bond in the Healey having a DNF.. I was coming thru the field into 4th place knowing there were 2 Milanos and the Healey in front of me.
Came over the dog leg at OP to see the Healey out of petrol. Good news for me, but not for Ross... Bob

#7698 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 816 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 00:14

The Healey 3000 has certainly been restored and I have seen it at E Creek a number of times. Actually I met Ross a number of times with his garden hire business over the last 10 years when we were selling properties, and he had a good laugh with a story about when he was reunited with the Healey. He took some hapless soul for a spin in it and they nearly died when he put it sideways at around 90 mph thru a sweeper!

#7699 Repco22

Repco22

• 708 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:11

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Pic by David Van Dal.

A mixed bag at Caversham for the '62 AGP meeting; Tony Osborne's Elite, the Davison 2.7 Cooper Climax, [that looks like Clem Dwyer to the left with wheel. Clem was helping Lex that weekend]. Wally Higgs' Peugeot sports, JB's Brabham BT3, and the Mini Cooper with which Bruce McLaren thrilled the crowd in the Touring Car/GT race. Pat McLaren is standing to the right with handbag. Bruce won the under 1600 Touring class, Osborne won the Under 1600 GT class, while the 'over' classes were won by Davison in the Lukey Galaxie and Harley Pederick in his E-type.

Edited by Repco22, 27 March 2013 - 02:34.

Advertisement

#7700 BMH Comic

BMH Comic

• 173 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:49

A mixed bag at Caversham for the '62 AGP meeting; Tony Osborne's Elite, the Davison 2.7 Cooper Climax, [that looks like Clem Dwyer to the left with wheel. Clem was helping Lex that weekend]. Wally Higgs' Peugeot sports, JB's Brabham BT3, and the Mini Cooper with which Bruce McLaren thrilled the crowd in the Touring Car/GT race. Pat McLaren is standing to the right with handbag. Bruce won the under 1600 Touring class, Osborne won the Under 1600 GT class, while the 'over' classes were won by Davison in the Lukey Galaxie and Harley Pederick in his E-type.

Good to see you have enough spare time to provide social comment on things 50 years old, here was I thinking you would be busy with the Indian Ink drawing the image of Mark complete with slouch hat, rising sun and hand tied behind his back, chasing the Evil DR MAKO from behind the wheel of RB8 with a jousting pole appropriately named MULTI 21, of course, and there would be Seb resplended with Kaiser helmet trying to squeeze through the inside and save DR Evil from the clutches of the embattled Webber