• Please log in to reply
8909 replies to this topic

#801 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:46

Another photo from the March 1960 Longford meeting -

Posted Image
Grid assembly - most likely for the TT event - #87 is the Matich / Leaton Motors D type with Frank leaning on the back of the car(?), #32 is John Ampt, Decca and just behind and to the right of the Decca it looks like Jolly's Lotus XV with Derek (back to camera) walking alongside.

Advertisement

#802 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:52

Hi David,

I think it was cut and dried.

Fortunately for Derek, the 300S had a slipping clutch, for he was about to be on the receiving end of the famous or,infamous, Whiteford "crush." The relentess intense pursuit where DW closed on people and pressurised them till they they either made a mistake or blew up their engine trying to stay ahead. He won at least one AGP and one Bathurst 100 and, probably many other races, in this manner.

I once saw Whiteford do it from the front at Phillip Island early in 1960. Frank Coad's Vauhall Special was close to the 300S after two laps of the sports car race. This must have annoyed Whiteford, because there became a marked change in the body language of both car and driver, noticable even to a 15yo, and the 300S proceeded to drive off into the distance setting a new sports car lap record.

AMS had a brilliant front cover pic of the car during this race under brakes approaching Lanes Corner, (the downhill from Lukey Heights), and it captures exactly what I mean. Whiteford calm, "imperturable" was a word often used to describe the driver's body language, - the car and driver clearly on a mission. This was 47 years ago and I can still see it as clear as day

Whiteford never made a mistake and I am sure Derek himself would not have claimed to be in the same class as DW as a driver and so I am of the view the slipping clutch robbed the Maestro of a ATT victory.

Does anybody have a copy of that issue?..I did, but my mother threw it out..........waaahh

Stan

#803 Bruce R Moxon

Bruce R Moxon

• 52 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:21

Originally posted by Terry Walker
Closeup of the group:

Posted Image

And the third car is the 'Works' VW 1500 Type 3. And I'm half sure that's my Dad (John Moxon - Team Manager) leaning on it.

The things you see...

Bruce Moxon

#804 Anthony Harradine

Anthony Harradine

• 39 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:32

To all those contributing to this thread I say a big thankyou. My age means I could not be at the events about which you talk nor see the cars 'in the metal' in that era. I have seen a few of the cars pictured here but only at 'more recent' historic events - my first being at Mallala in the mid 1980s.

The wonderful pictures and discussion in this thread have helped me to gain a much greater understanding/appreciation of the period and the enjoyment it bought to so many people.

#805 Bruce R Moxon

Bruce R Moxon

• 52 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 08:51

Originally posted by Bruce R Moxon

And the third car is the 'Works' VW 1500 Type 3. And I'm half sure that's my Dad (John Moxon - Team Manager) leaning on it.

The things you see...

Bruce Moxon

Yep, it's him - told me so hisself.

And he's talking to fellow TNFer Damon Beck.

You know, I have a heap of blurry old slides and prints from the 70s and 80s in boxes. Must scan some - if I ever find time.

Not as intresting as this wonderful stuff from earlier, though. Keep 'em coming.

Bruce Moxon

#806 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,720 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 12:51

I had a go at pulling up detail of the guys by the Type 3 VW:

Posted Image

#807 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,729 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 13:14

It definitely looks like Damon.

#808 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 21:49

It is Damon doing the talking -- which undoubtedly proves it IS Damon

#809 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,720 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:42

Bathurst 1958 - Sports car Race.

Posted Image

#810 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:53

Looks like the 1958 ATT

Pitt D type, Mckay Aston DB3S, probably our Derek hidden, Doug Whiteford 300S, Ron Phillips Cooper Jaguar and Frank Cantwell Tojeiro Jaguar

Happy Days

Stan

#811 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:29

Another couple of photos from the the October '58 Australian Tourist Trophy meeting at Bathurst -
Posted Image
Mid grid line up with #4 Chas Whatmore in Lotus and #5 Gavin Sandford-Morgan in the Decca Special
Posted Image
The Decca Special at speed down Pit Straight

#812 seldo

seldo

• 1,627 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:27

Originally posted by kaydee
Another couple of photos from the the October '58 Australian Tourist Trophy meeting at Bathurst -
Mid grid line up with #4 Chas Whatmore in Lotus and #5 Gavin Sandford-Morgan in the Decca Special

Perhaps Austin Miller in the 100S behind the Decca ?

#813 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:41

Originally posted by seldo
Perhaps Austin Miller in the 100S behind the Decca ?

Unlikely
Could be Sam Miller though ;)

#814 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 13:18

Originally posted by David McKinney

Unlikely

David, I think you are correct.
The program lists #22 as S. Miller.........

#815 seldo

seldo

• 1,627 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 14:02

Originally posted by David McKinney

Unlikely

Bah....Austin / Sam...what's in a name...hey...it's been almost 50 years...give me a break..:) I think you are right though... :)

#816 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,089 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 14:18

Is that the same Sam Miller who built a little car like a Brooklands Riley for his nephews?

It was powered by a Douglas motorcycle twin with an SU carby, had old 1920s Harley motorcycle wheels, wooden 'brake drums' and chain drive up a big tunnel between the occupants...

#817 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 13:56

Some more photos from the Australian Grand Prix meeting at Bathurst in October '58 -

Posted Image
Practice - #12 Lex Davison's Ferrari, #3 Lyn Archer, Cooper Climax, #81 G Websdale, Buchanan MG

Posted Image
Len Lukey, Cooper Bristol heading towards Energol cutting during practice.

Posted Image
Down Pit straight during the AGP race - Stan Jones Maserati? followed by ???

Posted Image
Second place getter, Ern Seeliger in the Maybach on the slow down lap with Tom Hawkes? as passenger.

#818 seldo

seldo

• 1,627 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:37

Posted Image
Len Lukey, Cooper Bristol heading towards Energol cutting during practice.

It looks more to me like heading out of the cutting, around under the hill, and up towards Reid Park...

#819 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,089 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:54

Actually, it's beyond Reid Park gate, David...

Advertisement

#820 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,729 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:01

And I thought it was just before the Reid Park gates.

I am still wondering how the cars go down Pit Straight? :p

#821 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,280 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:34

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Catalina Park
[B]And I thought it was just before the Reid Park gates.
SO DO I :up:

#822 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:54

Whether it's up Pit Straight or down Pit Straight I'm not sure......... :confused:
but the Lukey Bristol pic was definitely taken on the "hilly" part of the circuit :p

#823 seldo

seldo

• 1,627 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:59

Originally posted by Catalina Park
And I thought it was just before the Reid Park gates.
:p

I'm with you... Just before where KB rolled the Camaro

#824 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 13:10

Why does a picture of Len Lukey in his unique Lukey Bristol have to be insultingly related back to a meaningless event in a meaningless touring car race?

Stan

#825 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 13:22

Because Stan, most people here know where Bartlett rolled his Camaro. You obviously don't and don't care so good on you. Contributors in this thread are trying to pinpoint where the photo of Lukey was taken and it is obvious to make reference to an event from a touring car race, as decent open wheelers haven't raced there in almost 40 years and I have seen no footage of them with a significant event happening at that part of the circuit.

All and sundry here are well aware that you regard all the ills of the world to be the fault of touring car racing and its influence on Australian motorsport. No need to ram it down everybody's throat every time a touring car is mentioned. It gets extremely boring. Just because you have no interest in touring cars doesn't mean that everybody else feels the same way.

Or are you self-righteous enough to think that everybody needs to adhere to your viewpoint?

Your needless negative comments will do nothing but stain this great thread if they keep going. You have some fantastic information and memories to share without stooping to denigrate subjects that you don't enjoy.

#826 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 13:59

Thank you for your kind words David..

It is an indictment on the criminals who destroyed our motor racing that you say "most people know where Bartlett rolled his Camaro" I have no clue...

I remember KB as brilliant driver of Mildren's Repco Brabham and later of F5000 cars .....and i know as a joke he later drove redneck touring cars..but it was always a laugh to please Kerry amd other commercial interests.

Please dont confuse commericial racketerring with real motor racing

Cheers
Stan

#827 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 02:10

Originally posted by Stan Patterson

It is an indictment on the criminals who destroyed our motor racing that you say "most people know where Bartlett rolled his Camaro" I have no clue...

I remember KB as brilliant driver of Mildren's Repco Brabham and later of F5000 cars .....and i know as a joke he later drove redneck touring cars..but it was always a laugh to please Kerry amd other commercial interests.

Cheers
Stan

Stan, very harsh words, the tone of your critiicism really should be lowerd :down: :down:

#828 Robert Bailey

Robert Bailey

• 212 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 03:27

Cheers
Stan

oh dear,Hey Stan i just bought K.Packers Bentley of the family,its a ripper.

#829 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,720 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 03:49

Not actual racing, but I took this pic of Bathurst one misty morning circa 1980, from the top of the mountain. You can see the bridge on the right, pre- Caltex Chase days; the relativedly modest infrastructre around the pits and paddock, and to the left, the beginning of Mountain Straight.

Posted Image

#830 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:32

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kaydee

Posted Image
Gridding up for the start -

Is that Bruce "You can have your one lap now Barry" McPhee's FE there?

#831 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:37

Nice pic Terry,

I cant remember where i read it....possibly David McKay's first book..... but your pic reminds me of the words.

"In the early morning, rising in the still cold air, the sound of Hunt's 250F Maserati at full bore on Conrod Straight echoed across the fields and up the hill, and brought home to us aussies for the first time, the sound of real European F1 cars in action"

Whenever I hear Pavarotti sing, I am reminded of those words and Hunt's Maser......for some reason I dont think of Johnny O'keefe or FE Holdens

Stan

#832 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,089 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:04

Yes, David, it's Bruce McPhee on pole...

However the colour of the car is very distorted. It was lime green, not so much yellow.

#833 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:34

I thought the colour was a bit out Ray. There is a colour pic of it in the book HOLDEN The official racing history where it's lime, but the black stripes down the car indicated it was probably Bruce's.

Stan, which band does this Pavarotti sing in?

#834 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:44

David,

As my mathematics lecturer used to say :

QED

Stan

#835 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:18

Originally posted by Terry Walker
Austin 1800, Renault 16TS, Mini Cooper S with a broken taillight, Bathurst 1969; and two Alfas and another Cooper S fairly untidly parked.

Posted Image

Where did Brown's GTHO end up?

#836 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,089 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 13:17

From memory, it's back up the hill a bit from these cars...

#837 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 13:23

What a lovely snap

Daryl amd Thelma going shopping in their sensible Austin 1800....and that dreadful Miss Mearne in her French Euro box......and the Divorcee from No 19 in her Mini...I must ring the Council about those parked cars....

Does anybody in their right mind want to see this rubbish?..still i imagine it is better than looking at Davison,Stillwell and Patterson in Grand Prix cars ,,,that is just boringg

Stan

#838 Twister

Twister

• 23 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 14:06

What a lovely snap

Daryl amd Thelma going shopping in their sensible Austin 1800....and that dreadful Miss Mearne in her French Euro box......and the Divorcee from No 19 in her Mini...I must ring the Council about those parked cars....

Does anybody in their right mind want to see this rubbish?..still i imagine it is better than looking at Davison,Stillwell and Patterson in Grand Prix cars ,,,that is just boringg

Stan

as a tennis player said ......You can't be serious!

You are the so funny...you crack me up and I am sure many others giggle
your so consistant

#839 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 612 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 21:25

What a lovely snap

Stan

Lighten UP Stan.

I'm having trouble distinguishing the whining from tinitis.

I like and appreciate single-seaters too - as well as sports cars (both open, closed, production and prototype) and even sedans, production-based or otherwise. I travel vast distances to watch rally cars and I drive a (whisper it) Mazda hatchback in motorkhanas

Heck, I even go to the speedway!

Ours is a broad church, really. There should be room for all.

Bruce Moxon

Advertisement

#840 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,089 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 21:46

The other problem Stan has is that he's missed the post relating the information that:

1. It's not an Austin 1800, none ever ran at Bathurst.

2. It is a Morris 1100.

For my part, I'd much prefer to see a shot of KB whistling down through the Esses in a Brabham. But those pics are yet to come. In the meantime, let's just enjoy what we can of what Bathurst used to be like.

#841 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 22:06

Posted Image
A Morris Minor 1000 .....

Speaking of Kevin Bartlett reminded me of this photo. Didn't Kevin start his circuit racing in a Minor? As did Harvey in an Austin Cooper S? Spencer Martin in his 48-215? How many other very good ANF1 drivers of the 60s would we have not seen if not for gaining a foothold into the sport by driving a tintop?

How does the Mazda go in the motorkhanas Bruce? I share a mate's 72 Superbug in autocross here in Vic, in the large capacity class that is populated with many V8 Commodores.

#842 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 612 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 22:14

Originally posted by David Shaw

?

How does the Mazda go in the motorkhanas Bruce? I share a mate's 72 Superbug in autocross here in Vic, in the large capacity class that is populated with many V8 Commodores.

OK, just veering wildly off-topic for a moment....

The Mazda is great, except for not enough torque and pathetic rearward vision. It's an early Astina (the one with pop-up lights) so has those huge C pillars. It's the 1800cc single cam engine, so nothing happens under 3000 RPM or so.

Apart from that... I've won my class in the NSW Championship three times with it, then had a couple of years off and I'm struggling to get some form back. I'm being handily seen off by Robert Rigg in his Peugeot 205 GTi.

I'm guessing that either the Superbug has considerably more than its original 1600cc, or that the 'large capacity' class starts from a low base.

Bruce Moxon

#843 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 22:21

The class starts at 2001cc, currently running a 2100 (Transporter crank in original block) with a 2300 about to go in. But yes, it is time to get back on topic.

#844 seldo

seldo

• 1,627 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 00:41

Where did Brown's GTHO end up?

(at risk of upsetting Stan) About 200m before this shot

#845 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 01:38

Don't worry seldo, I think any post runs the risk of upsetting Stan so I don't bother worrying about it.

So they dragged the HO back up the hill and around Skyline?

I see that you ran the race in 68 and 70, but did you not get a start in 1969?

#846 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,007 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:24

Originally posted by Ray Bell
The other problem Stan has is that he's missed the post relating the information that:

2. It is a Morris 1100.

For my part, I'd much prefer to see a shot of KB whistling down through the Esses in a Brabham. But those pics are yet to come. In the meantime, let's just enjoy what we can of what Bathurst used to be like.

2. It is a Morris 1300 (1100 has fins).

#847 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,720 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:55

The Matich Lotus, Lakeside, 1964:

Posted Image

#848 iharos

iharos

• 35 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:21

What a lovely snap

Stan

:rotfl:

#849 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:52

Originally posted by 275 GTB-4

2. It is a Morris 1300 (1100 has fins).

Actually, after looking at the entry list and consulting this Austin-Rover page:
http://www.austin-ro...do16abroadf.htm
it is most likely a Morris 1500, as the Morris 1300 was actually an automatic version of the 1500 but running the 1275cc engine out of the Morris 1100S. :drunk:

#850 seldo

seldo

• 1,627 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:05

Don't worry seldo, I think any post runs the risk of upsetting Stan so I don't bother worrying about it.

So they dragged the HO back up the hill and around Skyline?

I see that you ran the race in 68 and 70, but did you not get a start in 1969?

No, he went off along the top of the fence on the right at McPhillamy as he approached Skyline - well before the esses. I missed 69. Managed 66,67,70,71,72,74,75,76,77,79,80,81 & 83 though.... Ooops taxi-talk again - sorry Stan..