Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8981 replies to this topic

#851 seldo

seldo

• 1,633 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:11

Originally posted by David Shaw

Actually, after looking at the entry list and consulting this Austin-Rover page:
http://www.austin-ro...do16abroadf.htm
it is most likely a Morris 1500, as the Morris 1300 was actually an automatic version of the 1500 but running the 1275cc engine out of the Morris 1100S. :drunk:

As I suggested back in post 752 on p19 :

Looks to me to be the Alf Barrett/ Mel Mollison Morris 1500 ahead of Bill Bryden/John Smith Renault 16TS and maybe David Frazer/Alan Johns Cooper S

Advertisement

#852 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,725 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:39

Originally posted by seldo
No, he went off along the top of the fence on the right at McPhillamy as he approached Skyline - well before the esses. I missed 69. Managed 66,67,70,71,72,74,75,76,77,79,80,81 & 83 though.... Ooops taxi-talk again - sorry Stan..

It was 1971 when he went along the fence at McPhillamy, 1969 he did a double roll on the first lap after getting squeezed up the bank at Skyline, the cars in the photo being those that were taken out along with Brown on the spot.

Didn't you do 68 too in a Cooper S for a DNF with Rick Radford?

And yes, you had identified the 1500 earlier. :blush:

#853 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,721 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:56

Patto in the pits at Caversham, with the Cooper looking virginal and shiny. Probably the Gold Star round circa 1961, but I'm not certain. It's one of a shoebox full of small prints Bob Biltoft gave me.

Posted Image

#854 seldo

seldo

• 1,633 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 12:32

Originally posted by David Shaw

It was 1971 when he went along the fence at McPhillamy, 1969 he did a double roll on the first lap after getting squeezed up the bank at Skyline, the cars in the photo being those that were taken out along with Brown on the spot.

Didn't you do 68 too in a Cooper S for a DNF with Rick Radford?

And yes, you had identified the 1500 earlier. :blush:

Aha! Sorry about that - all the years morphe into one after so long. Yes - I am combining the 2 incidents - sorry. In that case - delete all my previous comments about the site of the subject incident - it was obviously just into the Esses. And yes - I did do 68 with Rick Radford in a Cooper S which he rolled at about lap 104 at Murrays - That also probably means delete my competing in 66 - I was just ticking off the cars against my fingers and toes - Bah - it was somewhere about then - I wasn't counting at the time... Just having a good time and trying to keep all the balls in the air at the same time....:)

#855 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 12:47

TERRY,

Just maginficent.......those of us who saw Patto in full flight in his T51 will never forget his ferocity..

Do you have a pic of a Morris 1100 at full speed?

Stan

#856 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,721 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 13:53

Nope - will a Peugeot 203 and an Austin Lancer do? Early 60s, Peugeot was Bob Biltoft's, who raced everything from a rear engined sports car to an FB Holden station wagon; and the Lancer was John Glassons' who raced everything from a Vanguard to an F 5000 and practically anything else with four wheels, and is still racing today, in a Supra V8 turbo sports sedan, aged about 72. Both guys who loved their racing, but had little money, and raced what they could, which is what most of us have to do.

Posted Image

#857 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,768 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 14:34

Originally posted by Stan Patterson
TERRY,

Just maginficent.......those of us who saw Patto in full flight in his T51 will never forget his ferocity..

Do you have a pic of a Morris 1100 at full speed?

Stan

Stan, it was a Morris 1500 and it was being driven by one of the greatest drivers in Australia. (Alf Barrett)
So a bit of respect for those that got off their bums and sat in a race car no matter what type of car.

If it was good enough for Patterson, Davison, Jones, and co to play with Touring cars why isn't it good enough for you?

#858 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,430 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 14:51

Was Glasson's car a F5000?

I thought it was rather larger than five litres...

#859 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 16:58

Originally posted by Catalina Park
If it was good enough for Patterson, Davison, Jones, and co to play with Touring cars why isn't it good enough for you?

You've played right into Stan's hands there, CP
I'm sure he'll point out that playing with is what TC racing is for :lol:

Advertisement

#860 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,721 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:23

The Rambler Wedge used his trusty old Rambler engine, which was a bit under 5 litres - 4.7 or 4.9. I can't remember which. Glasson's current mount is a Toyota Supra, fitted with a turbocharged Rover V8 engine. He went to a lot of trouble when building it to incorporate dry-break refuelling and air jacks for the annual 300 km race, only to have the 300 km race series end before he could run it in one. I think from memory John is 74 this year, and he has been racing continuously since about 1958.

#861 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,216 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 07:11

As I suggested back in post 752 on p19 :

and RB started the whole debate again at post 850...agree 1500 Nomad :)

#862 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 07:41

yes David,

I feel i must clarify the point I continually "whine " about....as it was so delicately put by somebody who prefers personal abuse to discussion.

I have nothing whatsoever against touring car racing.

Indeed. touring car racing was all most people could afford and it provided a good entry into motor sport, while at the same providing fun for drivers and spectators alike.

However, what I do object to in the strongest possible way , is how touring car racing has been "elevated" by vested interests into our premier motor racing category.

Around 1964 Lex Davison saw our motor racing being degraded down to a form of popular entertainment; he was spending a lot of money and taking real risks, to race in front of people who did not care and who did not understand...any bells ringing yet?

After Phillip Island in March this year,I spoke to a competitor friend of mine about the historic meeting..he and his son were in the paddock...I regret I dont know what the popular American jargon is for paddock...and there was a queue of about 80 "enthusiasts " wanting Beechey and Jane's autograph..the boy said ..."Dad, can i get their autograph?" He replied "No boy, but i would like you to get this man's autograph"

There stood Sir Jack Brabham, a world-wide motor racing legend, even in the USA, with a queue of 10 people..my friend, the most gentle of men, was ready to hit somebody.

I remember that Gough Whitlam chap saying

SHAME SHAME SHAME

Stan (who doesn't do personal abuse) Patterson

#863 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,721 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:19

No problem, Stan, but this is a photographs thread, not a motor racing politics thread. You already have a thread to float these issues, I remember it well. Fill a photograph thread with post after post of indignant text, and it's killed stone dead.

There's a lot of lovely, previously unpublished, historic motor racing photos here - I've just gone through it from start to finish, and it's incredible. Let's keep this thread as per title: personal photos of Australian motor racing. Debate is welcome but belongs on another thread.

Just to return to the topic: (well -almost: same Longford meeting as earlier posts)
Posted Image

#864 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,725 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:22

Indeed. touring car racing was all most people could afford and it provided a good entry into motor sport, while at the same providing fun for drivers and spectators alike.

However, what I do object to in the strongest possible way , is how touring car racing has been "elevated" by vested interests into our premier motor racing category.

I, along with many members of this forum, also object to how touring car racing has now become our premier motor racing category. How and why it has happened and how it could possibly have been averted would be an interesting subject for another thread.

Nobody here has been spruiking touring car racing as the best motor racing category we have and that it rightly demoted the open wheeler classes, but it is motor racing all the same of another variety.

I just don't see why we have to put up with a constant barrage of negative abuse on touring cars when none of us here helped its elevation to our premier motor racing category. Your use of terms such as "redneck touring cars", "commercial racketeering" and "meaningless touring cars" I find both insulting and derogatory toward those that drove them, which includes members of this forum. That I interpret as a personal insult.

If, as you say, you have nothing whatsoever against touring car racing, stop the negative comments about it and let those that enjoy it more than you to do so without the constant harping.

#865 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,725 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:25

Great photo Terry. What a wild place Longford must've been for those bike riders. I couldn't imagine what it would've been like coming past the water tower and plunging downhill towards the viaduct.

#866 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,721 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:48

I've ridden bikes for years - never raced them - but a bit of road like that would scare the pants off me at 75 miles an hour on a road bike, never mind full bore on a racer.

Here's something from the late 50s - probably 58: the scene is Victoria, and we have an Austin 7 special, a hockey stick and a hill. I'm not sure where, and I don't know who.

Posted Image

#867 seldo

seldo

• 1,633 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 22:20

Originally posted by Terry Walker
I've ridden bikes for years - never raced them - but a bit of road like that would scare the pants off me at 75 miles an hour on a road bike, never mind full bore on a racer.

Here's something from the late 50s - probably 58: the scene is Victoria, and we have an Austin 7 special, a hockey stick and a hill. I'm not sure where, and I don't know who.

Posted Image

Great photo! The taped head-lights amuses me a little, in a one-car event though

#868 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,725 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 22:28

The number plate is possibly a clue if it is not too far from home. Our first family car that I can remember bore GWZ543 and was originally registered in Euroa.

#869 Gordon Graham

Gordon Graham

• 100 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 23:23

The Rambler Wedge used his trusty old Rambler engine, which was a bit under 5 litres - 4.7 or 4.9. I can't remember which. Glasson's current mount is a Toyota Supra, fitted with a turbocharged Rover V8 engine. He went to a lot of trouble when building it to incorporate dry-break refuelling and air jacks for the annual 300 km race, only to have the 300 km race series end before he could run it in one. I think from memory John is 74 this year, and he has been racing continuously since about 1958.

Amazing to hear Glasson is still racing (and with a turbocharged V8 underneath him!) Here are some photos of his Atalantis sports car, which initially used the engine out of the Morris Major, and went through various sages of development.

Posted Image

This is the Atlantis in, I think, 1964, possibly lining up for the Six-hour. By this stage the Major angine had been replaced by something with six cyloinders, and I'm not sure whether it was Holden or Vanguard Six.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Above, in about 1965, the Atlantis had gone rear-engined, with VW box and suspension. As is obvious, Glasson's early cars weren't noted for smoothness of finish. Note also the headlights turned sideways for streamlining.

Posted Image

Here's where the Rambler V8 engine first appeared, presumably the same one that went into the Rambler Wedge. This was, I think, 1967. Underneath that hand-formed fibreglass body, the VW box and suspension dealt with all that extra power.

#870 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 617 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 23:42

OK, the picture is a little more recent, but the cars qualify.

Phillip Island March 07. A little fuzzy 'cause Moxo was basically wetting himself over these cars (and many more not unlike them).

Posted Image

Bruce Moxon

#871 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,216 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 00:31

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Terry Walker
[B]I've ridden bikes for years - never raced them - but a bit of road like that would scare the pants off me at 75 miles an hour on a road bike, never mind full bore on a racer.

Here's something from the late 50s - probably 58: the scene is Victoria, and we have an Austin 7 special, a hockey stick and a hill. I'm not sure where, and I don't know who.[QUOTE]

The headlights were probably taped over ages before this event.

Wonderful shot Terry...I wonder who the young lady was??? :cool:

Maybe you could find out more here:

AUSTIN 7 CLUB INC.
http://www.austin7club.org
Club Contact: DAVID LOWE
Address: PO BOX 462
MOORABBIN
VIC 3189
Telephone: 03 9827 8124 (Home)
03 9533 4277 (Business)

I'm sure they would appreciate use of the image :up:

#872 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,430 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:54

Originally posted by 275 GTB-4
and RB started the whole debate again at post 850...agree 1500 Nomad

You missed Stan's post 837?

Some handsome pics there, Terry, look forward to seeing more.

#873 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,216 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:37

Originally posted by Ray Bell

You missed Stan's post 837?

Thats not a post, its a rant...an irrational rant :rolleyes:

#874 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,768 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:37

The taped head-lights amuses me a little, in a one-car event though

I got pinged at Silverdale Hillclimb because my brake lights didn't work ........... On a Formula Vee! :p :lol: :lol: Never underestimate the stupidity of a CAMS scrutineer. :cool:

#875 Robert Bailey

Robert Bailey

• 212 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:18

yes David,

I feel i must clarify the point I continually "whine " about....as it was so delicately put by somebody who prefers personal abuse to discussion.

Around 1964 Lex Davison saw our motor racing being degraded down to a form of popular entertainment; he was spending a lot of money and taking real risks, to race in front of people who did not care and who did not understand...any bells ringing yet?

After Phillip Island in March this year,I spoke to a competitor friend of mine about the historic meeting..he and his son were in the paddock...I regret I dont know what the popular American jargon is for paddock...and there was a queue of about 80 "enthusiasts " wanting Beechey and Jane's autograph..the boy said ..."Dad, can i get their autograph?" He replied "No boy, but i would like you to get this man's autograph"

There stood Sir Jack Brabham, a world-wide motor racing legend, even in the USA, with a queue of 10 people..my friend, the most gentle of men, was ready to hit somebody.

I remember that Gough Whitlam chap saying

SHAME SHAME SHAME

Stan (who doesn't do personal abuse) Patterson

what about Phil Irvings autograph.

#876 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,721 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 14:05

Wasn't just cars that raced around the houses in Western Australia - bikes and outfits did, too, and in fact kept on doing so long after cars stopped racing around the houses after 1965. Not quite on thread, but near enough: Albany (Middleton beach motorcycle circuit), 1964

Posted Image

#877 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,430 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 20:37

That is truly classy stuff, Terry...

The houses so close, it really does bring home how different things were.

#878 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:37

That is truly classy stuff, Terry...
The houses so close, it really does bring home how different things were.

I agree, you've got some great photos Terry, keep them coming......

#879 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,721 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:25

Another look at the Zephyr Spl at Caversham, Rilstone driving in practice:

Posted Image

Advertisement

#880 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 14:00

Heading off to Longford for the March 1960 meeting -

Posted Image
Derek Jolly's Lotus XV at Williamstown ready to be loaded aboard the Princess of Tasmania for the trip across to Devonport.

Posted Image
Ron Hodgson's(?) Jaguar being trailered aboard the Princess of Tasmania.

#881 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,430 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:32

Looks like the David McKay car... was that there that year?

And Len Lukey's equipe behind Derek in the first pic... good period pic!

#882 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,721 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:38

Years ago a small car club like the Light Car Club of WA could invite a visiting famous name to turn up for a talk and a beer - and they would come:

Harvey, Holden dealers' team:

Posted Image

Sainz and Moya, World Rally Champs (and they even brought their rally car with them, and drove it into the clubrooms!)

Posted Image

Doesn't happen too often today!

[Edit - corrected spelling of beer (!!!)]

#883 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:24

Posted Image
Looks like the David McKay car... was that there that year?

Ray, The photo in question was actually labelled McKay, Jaguar. However, on checking the program for that meeting McKay's Jaguar is listed as carrying #71 and is red as per the photo below (which was taken at the same meeting).
Therefore, as the car being loaded on the POT is not red and the only other Jaguar in the program is Ron Hodgsons I have assumed that is his and not McKays?
Posted Image

#884 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 05:20

Some more photos taken at the March 1960 meeting at Longford -

Posted Image
Arnold Glass in 250F Maserati taken at Mountford corner -

Posted Image
Close up of Glass 250F with engine cover off-with Austin Miller's Cooper Climax in background.

#885 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,725 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 06:07

Beautiful pictures of 2 lovely cars kaydee. Hard to believe these photos are nearly 50 years old!

#886 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,721 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 07:03

Max McCrackan, Lotus Elite, Caversham, c. 1964.

Posted Image

#887 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 02:27

A couple more photos taken at the March 1960 meeting at Longford -
Posted Image
An unidentified Triumph driver - not listed(?) in program -fails to negotiate Mountford corner during practice.

Posted Image
Doug Whiteford in his Maserati 300S about to round Mountford corner during practice for the Tourist Trophy.

#888 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,721 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 04:38

A lovely shot of a superb car. The 300S was, for my money, the most beautiful front engined sports racer of them all.

#889 Warren Matthews

Warren Matthews

• 58 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 10:41

Here's a puzzle for East Coast experts:

Driver: Dave Gordon:
Car: D J Special, being an HRG chassis, Holden engine, and Lancia sliding pillar front suspension!
Place: Caversham, c 1962

Dave Gordon brought the car to Western Australia from somewhere east, and was a very colourful figure. Eg: He liked to race barefoot, and one day when the CAMS stewards put their foot down, so to speak, he stalked off and came back wearing his wife's pink fluffy bathroom slippers, and raced in those. After 2 years in WA he sold the car to a Bunbury racing identity and vanished back east.

Rumour had it that Dave Gordon was not his real name, but somebody must know something about the distinctive car...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dave Gordon was quite a character-also at Bunbury he wore some other female articles as pads on his knees which kept hitting underside of dash/scuttle. Under another name he was a famous international bike rider and co rode with Sid Patterson and others of that era.
Sorry for late post

#890 seldo

seldo

• 1,633 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:17

I don't feel this justifies a new thread, so I'll slip it in here where those most interested are most likely to read it...
I was in Melbourne over the w/e and while browsing along High St at Armadale I came across a shop called "Antiques Centre on High" at 954 High St Armadale (ph +61 3 9500 9158, silvervaults@iprimus dot com dot au ) wherein I saw a book for sale which may appeal to many here. It is the British Racing Drivers Club Silver Jubilee Book c 1951 - a limited edition book being #379/2500 and apparently includes Australian drivers. At $350 it may appeal to many here - Stan?

#891 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,430 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:24

I've just had a request for photos of Wally Mitchell's Buchanan...

Anyone got any of those?

#892 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:03

Ray
Wally Mitchell's Buchanan pics: 2 in Bathurst book(1 Wal Anderson, 1 Wally Mitchell), several on TNF, and when I last heard Greg Smith in Melbourne was the current owner of the Lotus Repco Holden. Also Wal Anderson's son Stewart is/was a psychologist in Melbourne, and had film and photos of this and other Wal Anderson cars.

#893 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,430 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 07:58

Oh yes, the crashed version on TNF, right?

I'll let my correspondent, who can't join up here because of the current constraint, know. Thanks John.

#894 Anthony Harradine

Anthony Harradine

• 39 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:03

This website:

http://v8vantage.com.....an Holden.htm

has some information and photos that might be of interest.

#895 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:54

Probably not strictly on-thread, but this is the most appropriate place I can think of to reach those who would be interested.

I recommend to those who dont know of it, to download "Google Earth".....it is free and is stupendous - satellite photographs of the entire planet with detail down to individual houses and cars. Unfortunately the last 10% is blurred due to privacy issues, but for the purpose of tracing defunct circuits it is aweome.....

You will need an ADSL internet connection to download which should take about 20 mins.

I have just located the old Longford circuit and "walked" around it .....I need a brandy to calm me down.

Must rush..I am off to Gnoo Blas !!!

Stan Patterson

PS Thanks for thinking of me Seldo..but 1951 is a bit early even for me !

#896 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,725 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:13

It's great isn't it Stan! After doing the same visual walk around Longford I was planning to do an actual walk around there this past autumn, but other issues intervened.

There is a thread on Google Earth if you do a search, and it gives co-ordinates of where you will find many lost circuits. I had a bit of trouble with Gnoo Blas but eventually found it, the one that took the longest to find for me was Lobethal.

#897 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:57

More photos from March 1960 Longford meeting -

Posted Image
Bib leading Jack during practice -

Posted Image
Jack and Bib in discussion -

#898 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:09

Fantastic pics Kaydee....however...

All through 1959 Jack Brabham wore a gold colured "spaceman " helmet, as he did also at Phillip Island in March 1960...why then at Longford 1960 is he wearing a very "amateur" looking hlemet..looks like he has borrowed Ted Gray's or somebodys !

Did he lose his?

Stan Patterson

#899 kaydee

kaydee

• 342 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:21

Stan,

I must admit that I remember noticing exactly the same thing but unfortunately cannot answer your question!
Even Jack's driving suit on that day almost looked like it was borrowed so maybe his regular gear was mislaid!

Kaydee

Advertisement

#900 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,430 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 13:03

You can bet David McKay has mentioned it in either his Daily Telegraph or Modern Motor accounts of the meeting...

Again, and as usual, great stuff kaydee. I also love that 300S!