Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8835 replies to this topic

#901 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 13:39

Originally posted by Ray Bell
You can bet David McKay has mentioned it in either his Daily Telegraph or Modern Motor accounts of the meeting...

Nothing in Modern Motor
Sorry, I don't have the Telegraph on file :D

Advertisement

#902 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,998 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 14:01

So perhaps the bet would be lost?

Shame. Maybe I should divert attention from my gaff by pointing out the standard of driving suit on the entrant of the TR at Longford?

#903 Warren Matthews

Warren Matthews

• 58 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:26

Originally posted by Terry Walker
Great photos of the Hurricane V8!

The car faded from sight after about 1969 when Peter Bullen and Barry Arnold raced it at Wanneroo Park. Its last appearance was October 1969, and its last race, also the last race of the day, produced a 5th outright on handicap over 8 laps in a depleted field. I've heard a rumour someone is trying to resurrect it.

When I first saw it I was taken aback by the square section exhaust headers. But the old Ford motor had square exhaust ports, so why not?

Terry , I spoke to one of Vic Watson's pit crew from Hurricane and Goblin days and from memory he thinks the Hurricane had square pipes on one side and round on the other ;)
He is not online as moving at moment but trying to dig up some old pics
Warren

#904 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 13:02

Well Ray,

I have been consistently saying for a long time..for those of us who saw it, Whiteford in the 300S, was the most impressive sight in our motor racing, prior to the arrival of the T51 Coopers......majestic..imperturable..
etc etc.

As for the most beautiful front engined sports car?....a big call...all were beautiful

Aston Martin DB3S
Aston Martin DBR1 300
Short nose D Type
Long Nose D Type
Knobbly Lister jaguar
Maserati 300S
Maserari 450S
All Ferraris pre TR
Ferrari TR's
Maserati Birdcage
Lancia
Cooper Jaguar Mk2
Lotus XV

All can make a grown man weep....

Personally, I prefer an over-engined Vauxhall Viva painted up in Marlboro cigarette colours..with a nobody driver..mmmmmmmmm..now that is something....

Old fogeys...

Stan Patterson

#905 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 20:31

Well thanks to everybody who has contributed to this thread, especially kaydee and Terry, but as enjoyable as it has been on the whole I can't visit here any longer.

I was under the impression that TNF was a gentlemanly forum where constant ignorant, political jibing wouldn't be tolerated, so I sincerely hope for everyone's sake that something is done soon to clean this up.

The photos that have been shared on this thread have been absolutely priceless, but between them I can't put myself through reading the mindless ramblings any longer and I'm not going to drag this thread down by turning it into a political boxing match.

#906 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 709 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 21:13

I don't think this has been mentioned, forgive me if it has but the Gold Coast City Council has 21 photos of the 1954 Southport GP, young Bill might be interested in all the ones of E.Norman.
http://www.pictureau...59--Photographs

Andrew

#907 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,998 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 21:45

I can't raise any more than the thumbnails... what a shame!

Look like some interesting pics in there... thanks Andrew...

#908 Twister

Twister

• 23 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 23:32

Quote from Stan
Personally, I prefer an over-engined Vauxhall Viva painted up in Marlboro cigarette colours..with a nobody driver..mmmmmmmmm..now that is something....

Most people under 50 in Australia know a washed out Pom called Moss as the head shape of a Chrysler Piston on TV adds.......he also teamed up with a guy call Jack and failed to drive a "taxi" more than 3 inches off
the start line of a race at Bathurst and struggled to post a mid field time....

Come on Guys it's about the Photo's is it not?

Car racing is car racing is it not?

#909 kaydee

kaydee

• 341 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 00:12

I can't raise any more than the thumbnails... what a shame!

Look like some interesting pics in there... thanks Andrew...

Ray, the thumbnails enlarge okay for me.......I'm not too sure that some of the captions are correct though..needs your eagle eye!! Kaydee

#910 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,998 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 00:52

Not real good pics, but very interesting... I think they might have their server turned off overnight or something...

There are a couple there of Jack Brabham in his Cooper Bristol, but I'd need much better to work out any others. Wonder if I can get a look at the originals if I go into the council office?

#911 Gordon Graham

Gordon Graham

• 100 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:19

Originally posted by Warren Matthews

Terry , I spoke to one of Vic Watson's pit crew from Hurricane and Goblin days and from memory he thinks the Hurricane had square pipes on one side and round on the other ;)
He is not online as moving at moment but trying to dig up some old pics
Warren

Just had another look at my pics earlier on the thread, that prompted Terry's comment, and both sides of the car are visible. There are square pipes on both sides, though in the later shots they end in a big round collector.

#912 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 709 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:48

Not real good pics, but very interesting... I think they might have their server turned off overnight or something...

I think you are right, but full size not a great deal better sadly!

#913 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:12

Originally posted by Andrew Fellowes

I think you are right, but full size not a great deal better sadly!

I agree Andrew.............

#914 barkr

barkr

• 7 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:18

January, 1951 Melbourne Docks I believe...

Can anyone assist on identifying persons present?
I'm reckoning Henry and Peter Dale somewhere..

Posted Image

#915 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:43

yes...I know it is 50's to 70's but given Kaydees pics pf Bib 1960, I JUST HAD TO ADD TIS CONTRASTING PIVC

#916 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:50

Albert Park 1995

No comment necessary

Posted Image

#917 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:28

Melbourne docks 1950:
If my viewing of the photo is accurate, the lugubrious Tom "Happy"Hawkes behind the 4CL Maserati to the right of the shirtless one, and the Bugatti, now owned by John Thompson, is remarkably historic, having been one of the "works" cars at the first race appearance of the Type 35

#918 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:50

Originally posted by john medley
Melbourne docks 1950:
If my viewing of the photo is accurate, the lugubrious Tom "Happy"Hawkes behind the 4CL Maserati

On hand to collect his Large Tablet?

#919 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,998 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 20:58

That would surely be the case, David...

And so you can see it all in one screenful:

Posted Image

Advertisement

#920 kaydee

kaydee

• 341 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:55

A couple of pics of Derek Jolly in his Lotus XV during the Australian Tourist Trophy meeting at Longford in March 1960 -

Posted Image
Heading along Pit Straight during the TT

Posted Image
Being interviewed by the local press and after winning the TT

#921 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 14:31

Ok kaydee.

Is that Lou Abrabhams on the extreme right...no pun intended !

and did Derek forget to shave?

Stan

#922 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,998 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 19:31

Lou Abrahams? The fisherman?

An interesting question...

Here's the pic on this page so we don't have to go back to see it:

Posted Image

#923 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:47

Thanks Ray,

Lou Abrabhams was, of course, the owner entrant of the Tornado and is still engaged to this day in Sydney to Hobart yacht races I believe...he must be a good age now.

I realised after I commented, that by 1960, Mel McEwen was running the old beast and that there would be no reason for Lou A to be standing there.

So, is Derek's five o'clock shadow, whiskers or oil race grime?

Also, from what I now know, when that pic was taken, a very unhappy Doug Whiteford would have been loading the 300S and heading back to Devonport.

Stan

#924 kaydee

kaydee

• 341 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 12:12

Originally posted by Stan Patterson
Thanks Ray,
Lou Abrabhams was, of course, the owner entrant of the Tornado and is still engaged to this day in Sydney to Hobart yacht races I believe...he must be a good age now.

I realised after I commented, that by 1960, Mel McEwen was running the old beast and that there would be no reason for Lou A to be standing there.

So, is Derek's five o'clock shadow, whiskers or oil race grime?
Stan

Stan,
I'm not sure if it is Lou Abrahams in the photo but he is definitely listed in the program as having entered the Tornado for that particular meeting! And yes, Derek often had quite a significant 5 O'clock shadow.

#925 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,713 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 10:01

Just a few photos that I took a long while ago....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#926 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,998 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 10:51

Originally posted by Catalina Park

Posted Image

What's that all about?

And Viva?

#927 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,961 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:03

Originally posted by Catalina Park

Posted Image

Is that Bruno putting his nomex on?? :smoking:

#928 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,713 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 13:08

What's that all about?

And Viva?

I don't know what was going on with the Torana with Brocks name and Harveys number but both Brock and Harvey were in Commodores and the Torana (Viva?) was in the pits getting in the way. :cool:
The pics were taken by me at the 1980 AGP.
Camera, Zeiss Ikon Contina.

275, That is not Bruno, He is not that tall. :cool:

#929 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,719 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 05:09

I'm not sure if Claremont Speedway (now long gone) is a bit OT, but this small cluster of colour slides was taken there at one Friday practice in the 60s by Milton McCutcheon. I don't know who is who.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#930 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,713 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:49

Great stuff Terry. :)

#931 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,259 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:25

What's that all about?

And Viva?

Enter STAN

#932 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,961 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:59

I'm not sure if Claremont Speedway (now long gone) is a bit OT, but this small cluster of colour slides was taken there at one Friday practice in the 60s by Milton McCutcheon. I don't know who is who.

Terrific Terry.....How wide is that track!! What was its horse racing connection?? Pacing??

#933 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,719 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:06

No, Claremont Showgrounds, where the Royal Show is held each year. Never horse racing that I know of. The track was (if I remember correctly from way back) one third of a mile, pretty big by speedway standards. Used as a speedway since the 1920s. Closed a few years back, it's right in the heart of a fairly expensive suburb.

#934 cavvy

cavvy

• 170 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:26

Claremont: Friday night is speedway night. Try 641 yds, drilled into me by Dicky Blythe, then Con Migro on the PA.
The days when the road racers gave back their CAMS licences for the summer season at Claremont: Noel Aldous, Stan Starcevich, Wayne Negus.

Is car 66 Rob Greentree?

I see Neil McCrudden has the Ken Hopkins midget, he may know?

Photos from Pits Bend not Fowlhouse Corner !!!!! :clap:

#935 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,719 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 13:06

David Rockford, too.

#936 cavvy

cavvy

• 170 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 13:29

David Rockford, too.

Lots more too - Ray Geneve, Bill Jost, Noel Potts, Wally Higgs, Alf Barbagallo (?)

David Rockford - aka David Drew ?

#937 ken devine

ken devine

• 749 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 23:35

if my memory serves me correctly it was a saturday daylight televised by channel 2 in the early 60s. the
great Ray Clark competed in a couple of 6 hours with Rod Donovan.

#938 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:40

No, Claremont Showgrounds, where the Royal Show is held each year. Never horse racing that I know of. The track was (if I remember correctly from way back) one third of a mile, pretty big by speedway standards. Used as a speedway since the 1920s. Closed a few years back, it's right in the heart of a fairly expensive suburb.

Terry,
You keep finding them ay ?
The shot of old 66 with tail out attitude looking rather 'peaceful' but move forward to Friday Night, 66 would be keeping tight company with three to four midgets side by side on the wide Claremont track!
Back then the midgets would execute what is now known as a 'Scandinavian flick'. This would unsettle the cars prior to a full power hanging it out slide. Most of the spectators, including me, would've crawled over broken glass to see this almost balletic ? spectacle every summer Friday night.

The current batch of speedcars while having their own qualities do nothing for me with their almost kitchen whitegoods styling and drive around style.

Ken,
The coffee you served up at the last Auto jumble wasn't too bad by the way!

#939 Anthony Harradine

Anthony Harradine

• 39 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:30

Posted Image

Hello All,

I think this photo was taken in about 1957(?). Taken by a man who was a lover of the Dunstan Rotary Valve.

I think the car is the Alta Holden. In this photo I believe it was running the DRV on a Grey Motor block. I think it only ran this for one meeting (?).

Is anyone able to ID the people, the other cars and other people (I think that is a tall Derek Jolly there) and the place (Pt Wakefield?).

This was before I was born! :)

Advertisement

#940 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,998 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 21:25

If it's the Dunstan rotary valve head it's most likely the BBM...

There was an article about that car in MRA a few years ago, some might be identified from pics in that. Very nice contribution, by the way!

#941 Anthony Harradine

Anthony Harradine

• 39 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 00:20

Thanks Ray. It is just fantastic that these images were taken and still survive. There must be so many out there in draws and cupboards; and so many lost. I am fairly sure this is not the BBM.

Here is a picture of the BBM at a race meeting at ?? (anyone tell where?) in about 1971 - now running a 'conventional' Grey. This is, or is close to the time of, it's last race.

Posted Image

Amazing that it survived from the mid-1950s. It seems to have had basically 3 different forms in its life:

1. Grey Motor + Dodge 3 speed+ live rear - colour unknown (implemented by Bob Lindsay/Tim Hocking mid 50s),

2. DRV-Grey+2-71 Blower with Jag box (then a Wilson Preselect) + live rear (and then an IRS) - yellow with green trim, see Kevin Drage's photo, and later red with silver trim (implemented by Dud Danise/Tony Rugari/Noel Hurd from 58 to 62),

3. Grey Motor + Wilson Preselcet +Borgward Isabella swing axle rear (implemented by Jim Doig about 68).

#942 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,998 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 00:56

Must be one of the last meetings at Mallala before Keith Williams shut it down...

What kind of Dodge gearbox did it have? That seems a strange choice, without a Dodge engine I know of only one other car that had a Dodge box.

#943 Anthony Harradine

Anthony Harradine

• 39 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 01:06

I do not know Ray, I am working from one line in article from SCW in 1963. All it says is a Dodge 3-speed. I have never been able to get any info on Bob Lindsay, but did talk to T (now I am not sure if it is Tim or Tom) Hocking some years ago. He was living in Qld then. He only drove the car for a short time I believe.

#944 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,719 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 01:37

The b+w photo shows a car with a totally different front suspension from the BBM and I can make out the upper wishbones at the back, so it's not likely to be the BBM. Looks like the F2 Alta Holden to me. Ken Devine has a very early colour slide of the F2 Alta Holden when it first arrived in WA, before the nose and cockpit sides were altered. If he posts it, we can compare.

#945 Anthony Harradine

Anthony Harradine

• 39 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 01:52

Posted Image

Here is another of the same car. Again, I am not sure of this, but I think this photo is taken in the Southcott factory (Adelaide) after this car had been equipped with the DRV. I have a bulletin from Soutcotts outlining what happened and that the engine lacked low end torque (which I think is why it was removed and then later supercharged on the BBM). The photo, however, is from a different source - a man who was an apprentice mechanic at Southcotts at the time. Sadly, he is no longer with us to tell us exactly what these pictures are. So I am not sure that the photo and the words in the bulletin are related, but feel it is a pretty good bet they are.

#946 kaydee

kaydee

• 341 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 02:37

Originally posted by Anthony Harradine
Posted Image

Here is another of the same car. Again, I am not sure of this, but I think this photo is taken in the Southcott factory (Adelaide) after this car had been equipped with the DRV. I have a bulletin from Soutcotts outlining what happened and that the engine lacked low end torque (which I think is why it was removed and then later supercharged on the BBM). The photo, however, is from a different source - a man who was an apprentice mechanic at Southcotts at the time. Sadly, he is no longer with us to tell us exactly what these pictures are. So I am not sure that the photo and the words in the bulletin are related, but feel it is a pretty good bet they are.

Anthony, going by the rather unique wheels it definitely looks like the Alta Holden to me -

Posted Image

#947 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,719 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 02:52

Definitely the F2 Alta! Here it is in WA, with David Rockford at the wheel, Caversham. The cockpit sides have been raised, and the nose altered. The wheels are very distinctive indeed and, as you say Kaydee, unique. (Photo from David Rockford collection)

Posted Image

#948 Anthony Harradine

Anthony Harradine

• 39 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 03:04

Terry,

What engine would have it been running in this photo? It appears to have a roll bar at this point - post the pictures I put up?

#949 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,719 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 03:31

It was generally referred to here as the Repco Alta, and with the pipes coming out that side, I guess it's wearing the Repco head at this time. The pic shows its last incarnation as a "front line" race car, circa 1963.

Incidentally, most of the cars in my pic still exist. No 5 is Jack Rowe in the Cooper Mk V which is bound to be somewhere, it was always in first class condition so it won't have been scrapped ; the Alta is racing in UK with an original 2 litre Alta engine and the body rebuilt to original 1950s shape; the No 11 Peugeot Spl has been dug out of a tip and is being restored; the Lotus Super 7 with Jeff Dunkerton aboard is now in the East. The pale sports car, the Repco-Holden Sports, is restored complete with its own original repco High Power head, and lives here in WA. Don't know about the frogeye, and the Renault 8 based single seater is a "don't know" as well.

#950 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,719 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 03:37

Superb colour pic of Rockford in the Repco Alta c 1964. carbs this side, exhaust the other = repco holden engine. Picture by Milton McCutcheon.

Posted Image