Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8833 replies to this topic

#51 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 20:55

Originally posted by Ray Bell
That was Clark's Ferrari, you might mention David...

Why?
Is it relevant?

Advertisement

#52 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,956 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 21:26

Originally posted by David McKinney
Why? Is it relevant?

Only in that it might stir some cross-Tasman feelings... which I'm sure you understood...

I might add here that it seems remiss of those choosing the pics for the AGP book that they didn't use this one. They did use some of Dave van Dal's slides for that race, but this one seems to me to do more than just put a picture on the page.

#53 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 01:07

Ern Tadgell in the Sabakat, 1958 AGP Bathurst. A bit blurred, but shows the colour scheme well.

Posted Image

#54 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 08:43

Apparently Ern only got 4 laps into the AGP before the gearbox caused a DNF. Mildren did well to finish 7th after starting 22nd, most probably the lowly grid position caused by the delays for repairs.

#55 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,956 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 09:51

Actually, I think Mildren's grid position was explained earlier...

Grid positions were set by their times in the qualifying races. Mildren never finished so he was on the back of the grid.

Another fine point... I read somewhere that the Lotus 12 had an MGA gearbox. Not so... or at least by what I remember Graham Howard telling me, and strangely enough it was he who posted that it was.

What he told me, many years ago, was that the gearbox was from an MG Magnette... the one that shared body panels with the Wolseley 4/44. It had the clutch actuation at the top of the bellhousing, which gave clearance at the sides for the driver's feet and pedals, I guess.

#56 kaydee

kaydee

• 341 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 13:07

More photos taken at the AGP at Bathurst in 1958 -

Posted Image
New Zealander, Tom Clark in #22 Ferrari returning to the pits after practice

Posted Image
Len Lukey in #33 Cooper Bristol returning from practice with other cars.

Posted Image
Grid forming up for start of AGP -
Looks like Otto Stone in white overalls on left with back to camera with Stan Jones to the right in fawn jacket. Len Lukey in white crash helmet and red overalls and in the background on the right it looks like Charlie Dean striding accross in front of the Maybach #1 which Ern Seeliger drove

#57 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 14:41

Kaydee - lovely photos, history alive. My word, hasn't Lukey's Bristol been restyled!

#58 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,956 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 17:06

Originally posted by kaydee
Posted Image
Len Lukey in #33 Cooper Bristol returning from practice with other cars...

9 - Curley Brydon, Ferrari Corvette
25 - Ray Gibbs, Cooper Repco-Holden
1 - Ern Seeliger, Maybach 3
5 - Merv Neil, Cooper Climax 1700
10 - Alec Mildren, Cooper Climax 1965

Because we're on the subject of the 1958 AGP, and not especially of 'personal photos' (because I certanly didn't take it, I'll add this one from the end of the first lap... back in the field:

Posted Image

Bill Cooke, having made up about six spots in the first lap, spins entering Pit Straight. Barry Collerson, one of those he'd passed, brakes to avoid hitting the Peugeot Special.

#59 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 19:17

Originally posted by kaydee
Len Lukey in #33 Cooper Bristol returning from practice with other cars

Actually the Lukey-Bristol, his second.
During the year Lukey had put all the Cooper-Bristol mechanicals in a new chassis, which he ran for the first time at Rob Roy on 27 July (without bodywork). The Lukey-Bristol crashed into a tank-stand at the top of the hill, throwing its driver out, and continuing on to take out the timing gear and collide with a parked car. The new chassis was wrecked, though Lukey had laid down more than one, and soon had the car rebuilt and fitted with the bodywork seen here.

Advertisement

#60 kaydee

kaydee

• 341 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 21:28

A couple of more photos of Len Lukey's Cooper Bristol at the AGP meeting at Bathurst in 58 -

Posted Image
Warming up the Lukey Cooper Bristol (without front body work) in the well appointed Bathurst pit area of the '50's.

Posted Image
Close up of Len Lukey and pit crew

#61 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,956 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 22:02

With, I believe, the John French FJ Holden in the background beyond the Blomfield Aston and the Matich C-Type...

Anything of the Peugeot Special in colour there, KD?

#62 kaydee

kaydee

• 341 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 22:31

Sorry Ray, I don't have anything of the Peugeot Special - I seemed to have misplaced some of my early photos but I'm pretty sure that I don't have that one.

Incidentally, was that particular car owned earlier by Ian Mountain? If so, I have a B&W of the car on the starting grid at Fisherman's Bend in '54?

Posted Image

#63 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,956 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 23:07

A very different car, KD...

Built on a Singer chassis, from memory. I think I have details here somewhere:

Bill Cooke's Peugeot Special

They became one of the best-known Peugeot dealers with their Mobilgas service station forecourt covered in 203s and 403s in the late fifties. They had a busy workshop, and around the back they wrecked the battered examples of the marque that came their way. The Parramatta Road, Flemington, site now struggles to avoid choking on the fumes of the overpass to the Olympic stadia and the cars struggling to find parking in the adjoining Markets.

Both Bill Cooke and Norm Saville raced 203s under the Cooke & Saville banner, but Bill had a desire to go faster. He bought the latter day Rizzo Riley, less engine, and fitted a good 403-bore 203 engine.

Backyard Beginnings

The car had been crashed before his purchase, however, and in the repairing it had been fitted with a pre-war Chev axle and cable brakes. Not unknown in those times, but known to be inferior. And the car was so inferior that Bill elected to put the engine in a new car of his own making.

In his Auburn backyard he schemed out and put together this device, a Singer chassis shortened at both ends supporting the Peugeot engine and box. At the front a 203 crossmember was bracketed on, with its familiar transverse leaf spring and shock absorber upper links.

A frame was made at the rear to support another transverse leaf, which conveniently utilised the original 203 shock absorber links to connect to the cast aluminium axle housings. Lateral location was by Panhard rod, as on all Peugeots.

The engine was well equipped, sporting a magneto, internal modifications and some nice exhausts. Carburetion, strangely enough, was a simple single Solex just like they came with. A Peugeot gearbox and a shortened standard torque tube was used to transmit power back to the worm drive diff, and the engine sat back about eight inches behind the front crossmember.

A photo taken in the early stages of construction shows that the complete 403 steering column was laid almost horizontally along the engine bay, with the wheel mounted centrally in front of the driver, but the column running off to the right of the rocker cover, two universal joints then taking the column steeply down to the rack and pinion. The steering wheel was thus almost vertical, but angled to the right about seven degrees. Wheels were standard Peugeot, sometimes drilled, with combinations of 15” and 16” used from time to time.

Bodywork was steel, formed on and welded to bent round tubing. It was tidy if ungainly. Early races saw the car carrying a makeshift tail section, but its later form was in place before the AGP at Bathurst in 1958, except for the nose piece. A rounded form of light steel was made by the same panel beater who shaped the second tail section, initially with quite a small air intake aperture. This was probably enlarged after it was found that insufficient air was getting to the 203 radiator that sat low down ahead of the front suspension. Finally, it seems, the tail was replaced with what appears to be a fibreglass job with a more rounded form.

The car and the way it came about gives a good idea of how many cars ‘just growed’ in the post-war era. Opportunities were taken, desirable components sourced, costs and construction time kept low by just fitting things together without regard for the latest racing technology. ‘Run what you brung’ was still the catchcry, for even though Sports Cars were not allowed in the 1958 AGP Cooke was not at the back of the grid in this car, being 20th in a field of 28.

And, on the day, this car diced with the well-known Nota Consul. A much lighter car, built with a space frame in the famous Smith St Nota works about four miles from Cooke’s home, it did incorporate some of that mid-fifties racing technology. It had a wide variety of diff ratios (Cooke could only use the 5.75:1 ratio until the 403B came out in 1960), was built for a man who planned to do things with it, had a smaller frontal area and an engine slightly larger than the Peugeot.

The car raced at Mt Druitt, Bathurst and Orange before the engine came out in 1961 to go in another tin top Peugeot. An indication of its performance can be found in the 1960 Easter Bathurst results, where a lap in 3:20.9 and flying eighth speed of 107.78mph (Denis Cooke is sure he recalls a figure around 128mph on one occasion) are shown. The car was thirteenth and last, a lap down on twelfth, five laps down on the winner of the 26-lap Bathurst 100. That was its last Bathurst start, its first main-race finish.

Even though Bill and Norm were in the scrap metal business as well as the wrecking yard business, it was apparently sold complete less engine to someone near Lithgow and sat in a shed for decades. Too low for paddock bashing, too slow for modern racing, its owner must have lost interest, but whether he buried it in a well, still has it in a shed or dismantled the remainder, we just don’t know.
RAY BELL

#64 kaydee

kaydee

• 341 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 13:02

Some photos at Collingrove Hillclimb -

Posted Image
Phil Irving and Lex Davison with Lex's Cooper Irving at Collingrove, October 57

Posted Image
Austin Miller in the Miller Special at Collingrove, April '58

#65 gerard BARATHIEU

gerard BARATHIEU

• 394 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 19:42

KD,

which are the cars on the front tow of the bathurst GP in 1958.

The red car on the left I suppose STAN's JONES MASER but the blue car on the right ?

#66 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 20:16

The Tornado
A locally-built "special" with Chevrolet Corvette power
The other car on the front row is Lex Davison's 3-litre ex-F2 Ferrari
These three cars fought a great battle in the race but only the Ferrari finished

#67 sandy

sandy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 20:37

Originally posted by gerard BARATHIEU
KD,

which are the cars on the front tow of the bathurst GP in 1958.

The red car on the left I suppose STAN's JONES MASER but the blue car on the right ?

RE Tornado on TNF: see "Another what am I?" 20 Jan 05 plus "What is it?" 8 Jun 05 posts, 11-13.

#68 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,956 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 21:37

Originally posted by David McKinney
The Tornado
A locally-built "special" with Chevrolet Corvette power
The other car on the front row is Lex Davison's 3-litre ex-F2 Ferrari
These three cars fought a great battle in the race but only the Ferrari finished

With the Tornado eventually striding away to a 10s lead...

Comprising a ladder chassis of large diameter round tubes, the front crossmember fabricated to take Peugeot 203 front suspension pieces, and an independent rear end using Holden wishbones. It had a Halibrand quick change rear, as I recall, and some kind of four speed gearbox.

The car was built originally to use a 4.3 (or thereabouts) side valve Ford V8 with a hemi-head overhead valve conversion made by the owner, Lou Abrahams. This had originally been made to fit into a boat that was raced at Albert Park (on the lake, of course...) but it tore the boat up with its power and he fitted it to an old Alta chassis.

After that was seriously crashed at Bathurst (at around top speed down Conrod Straight) the new chassis was built. Ted Gray recovered physically and drove it with great verve. The old Ford, even if rejuvinated with that ohv conversion, was soon discarded when the lighter and more powerful short-stroke Chevs became available.

There was something to do with fuel injection on this car as well...

#69 kaydee

kaydee

• 341 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 22:02

Here is a somewhat clearer photo of the locally built Lou Abrahams / Ted gray Tornado - Corvette taken in the pits at the Bathurst AGP meeting -

Posted Image

#70 kaydee

kaydee

• 341 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 22:17

Another Australian built "special" at the AGP meeting at Bathurst in 58 -

Posted Image

Jack Meyers in the WM Cooper returning to the pits after practice.

#71 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,956 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 22:47

How come the 'RedEx' has turned orange and the Myers car (powered by the rare twin cam Waggott Holden) is still its original colour?

Your slides are great, KD. Keep 'em coming!

And the backgrounds are great too... look at that '36 Ford and the Carpenter Terraplane, I'm sure that's what it is.

#72 kaydee

kaydee

• 341 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 00:35

Hi Ray,

Yes, I must admit that I did play around with the Jack Myer's pic to try and improve the shadow area and that for some reason it did change the colour of the REDeX sign more so than the colour of the car.

Anyway I'm glad you enjoy the pics.

I was originally hoping that this thread would flush out more photos like Terrys' so that we could all share some memories of the halcyon days of Australian motor racing. However, as long as I'm not boring anyone I'm happy to scan and post more.

Posted Image
Billboard located at Murray's Corner showing the layout of the Bathurst circuit in the early '60's

#73 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,956 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 00:45

You could add some real variety by putting in some pics of a twin cam head for a Ford V8...

We'll flush out more eventually. I think I've posted virtually all of mine previously. Those that have survived, at least. One wife had a poor attitude to such things, you see.

#74 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:31

Starting grid, Bathurst AGP 1958. Another of the small number of slides Dave Van Dal took that day. This has been posted some time ago on another thread, but it's worth a second look.

My collection is very small - I was given a few rolls of old slides plus a pile of strictly local b+w "snaps" of Caversham and some country circuits. I also have access to Ken Devine's albums of amateur photos of the WA scene taken from about 1960 on.

Posted Image

#75 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,956 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:26

Would be good to have the pic that's being snapped as Dave was getting this one, Terry...

That might even be Lou Abrahams doing the snapping, I suppose. Neat outfits they had.

#76 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:25

Dave took another pic of the tail end of the field disappearing towards the first corner, and in the bottom right hand of that pic was a better pic of that photographer, not to mention a cine photographer.

Posted Image

#77 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,956 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:45

Well, that's John Schroder in the Nota Consul scarpering along on his own, I have no idea if that's Lou Abrahams with the camera or not. But I would think he'd be the only one in the team wearing the overalls and wielding a camera...

Interesing point from the AGP book about the race, explaining why all the cars...

Posted Image

... are sitting there with covers over them to keep them warm. After the warm up lap, there was a delay as oil was cleaned up at the cutting. There wasn't to be another warm up lap. The second photo seems to comply with that too.

#78 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:07

I think this is Albert Park, 1956. One of just 2 slides surviving of those Dave Van Dal took there.

Posted Image

#79 kaydee

kaydee

• 341 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:47

Hi Terry,

They are very good photos from Dave Van Dal. Please keep more coming!

Here's another photo from the starting grid of the AGP at Bathurst in '58 -

Posted Image

Doug Whiteford on starting grid leaning over the Tornado and talking to ? Lou Abrahams, perhaps?

Advertisement

#80 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,956 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:58

Originally posted by Terry Walker
I think this is Albert Park, 1956. One of just 2 slides surviving of those Dave Van Dal took there.

The race number certainly agrees with that suggestion, Terry...

Bear in mind, though, that there were two meetings there in 1956. This is from the AGP meeting.

Kaydee... Doug must have felt left out of it, not being able to run in the AGP with the Maser that year. That would have been the third AGP he'd missed since he first ran in one, I think.

#81 kaydee

kaydee

• 341 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 13:00

Alec Mildren in his Cooper Climax during his first visit to Port Wakefield.
This photo was taken at the Gold Star meeting in October '59

Posted Image

#82 kaydee

kaydee

• 341 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:39

Very wet opening meeting at Warwick Farm on a Sunday 18th December, 1960 -

Posted Image

A gaggle of Cooper Climaxes in the form up area -

#9 Bill Patterson, #21 Doug Whiteford (entered by Stillwell), #6 Bib Stillwell and #60 Austin Miller.

Posted Image

Lex Davison, Aston Martin DBR1/300 being pushed to the form up area at Warwick Farm 18/12/60

#83 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,956 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 16:41

That's all very period, KD...

A '57 Chev towing a Rice trailer. You don't see that any more. Very nice stuff.

#84 gerard BARATHIEU

gerard BARATHIEU

• 394 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 18:49

Very nice and colored pictures kd.

do you have some about the MASER ?

#85 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:30

Arnold Glass prcticing for the 62 AGP in the BRM Scarab:

Posted Image

#86 kaydee

kaydee

• 341 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:03

Hi Gerard -
Unfortunately I don't have many Maserati photos but here's one of Doug Whiteford in his ex - Behra 300S - Chassis #3055 - taken at Albert Park for the Victorian Tourist Trophy meeting in November 58
Posted Image

#87 kaydee

kaydee

• 341 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:26

Hi Terry,

That's a good pic of the BRM Scarab - however I can't say that I recall the BRM engined Scarab.
Was it originally the rear engined Buick V8 Scarab that Lance Reventlow brought to Australia in 62 and raced at Sandown Chuck Daigh?

Posted Image
Chuck Daigh in rear engined Buick Scarab at Sandown in 62

Posted Image
Close up of Buick V8 in Scarab car

Posted Image
Scarab Pit at Sandown with Lance Reventlow, his film star wife Jill StJohn and Chuck Daigh

Posted Image
Jill StJohn in Scarab at 62 Sandown meeting

#88 Haydn

Haydn

• 16 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:45

KD - The common thing to these two cars was the engine!

The Buick V8 from the Scarab raced at Sandown International went into Arnold Glass BRM ( IIRC was ex Dan Gurney BRM).

Cheers

HaydnM

#89 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:55

Yes, I am sure it was the same BRM raced by Gurney at Ballarat. With a subsequent engine swap. I reckon Glass realised he couldn't afford to race and maintain a f1 BRM engine - or possibly BRM wouldn't sell one to him - and used a racing Chev V8 ex Scarab as a better choice.

Here's the Stilwell equipe, 62 AGP practice.

Posted Image

#90 kaydee

kaydee

• 341 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:30

A brace of Lolas at Warwick Farm opening meeting Dec 60 -

Posted Image
T. Corcoran - Lola FJ 997 cc (with Scuderia Veloce insignia?)

Posted Image
David McKay Lola Sports 1098 cc

#91 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,956 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:21

Yes, that's the SV insignia, that's the late David's smiling moustache... and Terry, it wasn't a Chev, it was a Buick in the Scarab and then the BRM...

Nice pics again, fellas... Terry, do you think you could put the Monaco onto the Monaco/15/19 thread too, please?

And that's a great candid shot of Jill St John in the Scarab KD, that pic would sell!

#92 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:30

Okay Ray. Now this one has been posted elsewhere. Guy on the right is John Cummins. Rest is a mystery to me, but it's late 1950s.

Posted Image

#93 Bonde

Bonde

• 959 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 13:25

The engine looks General Motors-like to me.

#94 scags

scags

• 405 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 13:39

or Austin 6

#95 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 13:46

Looks like a Holden grey motor to me, painted red. Good old side-plate six, 4 main bearings. The carbs/exhaust are on the corrrect side for a Holden. I had another look at the original scan enlarged high, but the focus is on the men, not the engine, which is somewhat soft and gives no further detail.

#96 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,956 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 20:16

The only Holden-powered single seat Holden Special I can think of in WA at the time is the HRG... and this isn't that...

Or is this at Bathurst in '58 again?

#97 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,956 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 21:49

Got onto Cummo, he remembers the pic...

It's Ralph Sach with Cummo and they're at Ralph's North Shore (Sydney) workshop, the car is the hillclimb special, the Mini Din.

Cummo mentioned, by the way, that Ralph recently left us.

#98 Robert Bailey

Robert Bailey

• 212 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 23:27

That's all very period, KD...

A '57 Chev towing a Rice trailer. You don't see that any more. Very nice stuff.

Nice man Mr Rice,I remember when my father bought his magnificent Rolls Royce Phantom 111,with body work by Gurney Nutting/H.R Owen a 3 position sedanca saloon.Gee that was a good by in '68 paid $4,000 and sold it in about '74 for $50,000.Now worth about a million US.At the time i think Mr Rice was in financial debt. :smoking:

#99 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 03:55

Lakeside, mid 1960s:

Posted Image

Advertisement

#100 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 05:01

The only Holden-powered single seat Holden Special I can think of in WA at the time is the HRG... and this isn't that...

Or is this at Bathurst in '58 again?

what about the Nedloh...? Jeez - I can't remember Cummo ever looking that young....