Photo

Personal photos of Australian motor racing '50s to '70s

• Please log in to reply
8815 replies to this topic

#1101 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 23:28

Yes i do have Simca pics.namely Mike Tighe,Bob Avery and others.

Advertisement

#1102 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 23:51

Starting grid full of specials of all types,Goomalling 1953.

://imageshack.us]Posted Image[/URL]

#1103 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:41

Simca chasing Viva and the entire Neptune racing team, 1964 WA Touring Car Champs, Caversham

Posted Image

#1104 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 02:06

The V8 engine in the Ferrari Corvette was the real deal Corvette engine, not just a plain Chev V8. Caversham, 1962.

Posted Image

#1105 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 03:22

Originally posted by Terry Walker
Lyn Morgan (Lyn Taylor as she then was) climbed onto the roof of the timing tower to get this shot of the start of the 1962 AGP. I've extracted an enlargement from it as well:

Posted Image

My initial thought, given the small field, was that it was of one of the preliminary 10-lap heats, but Negus and Dunkerton were in different heats, so this is the GP start. You can see the turqoise Brabham, the dark green Coopers, Patto's white Cooper, the red Cooper and the red BRM Scarab, and following behind the red Repco Cooper of Negus, the green TS Spl of Ted Edwards, and the green Super 7 of Jeff Dunkerton.

Posted Image

Have a look in the book "The official 50-race history of the Australian Grand Prix" on page 280....you can see Miss Taylor up the roof ibn the group of people.

#1106 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 06:49

Originally posted by Ray Bell

Need some subject matter for Aussiefrogs?

Those aren't oversize tyres at all... using 15" wheels while running the 2.7 engine, these were the tyres of the day. In F1 they were using 13" wheels.

Ray,
The AF Simca site has been quiet of late. Murray Thomas and Warren Mathews have been posting though.

Back to serious things. I was discussing the Brabham wheels,"while running the 2.7 engine" with my old 6hour co-driver. He recalls seeing, along with me, this car being worked on in Don Reimann's garage. They were carrying out an engine change from the 2.7 Climax to a sports car 2 litre Climax. The larger engine must have gone bad during practice ?
He remembers the mechanic changing the ring gear or flywheel.
We both remember Don Reimann taking umbrage at all the noses pressed up against the workshop windows,
He then proceeded to erect a tarpaulin curtain inside so the hoi polloi couldn't see.
So much for the encouragement of interest in motor sport !!

PS. Hulloo Hullay!
Terry Walkers picture of red Simca *82 [mine] lining up the Viva and the entire Neptune Team in readiness for the big pass. :lol:

#1107 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 08:51

I dont know what happened to the last one it was there when iposted it.photo by David Vandal

ttp://imageshack.us]Posted Image[/URL]

#1108 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,882 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 10:24

That looks like the White Mouse painted blue... but the others are making me think I don't know them...

Noel Aldous in his MG Special on the right, but that ugly silver and red thing has seriously got me tossed! And is the car on the left, No 19, the Fidget or something similar? And perhaps that's the Morrie Maurice car tucked up behind the other MG?

#1109 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:22

The Blue car is a Ford 10 special of Barry Ranford Jnr,not the White mouse,the Silver and Red car is a
front wheel drive Citroen special.i am unsure of the car in front of it.Also in the picture is Fred Coxon's
Ford A, and in the distance is the Yellow DoubleV8 of Syd Anderson.Note the large crowd and no safety
barriers.

#1110 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,882 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 09:08

I now believe it's not the Aldous MG... the wheels are wrong... but I'm more convinced that No 19 is the Fidget of Claude La Motte...

Do you have an entry list? I think I could make more sense of it if you have. The Citroen Special I've not ever heard about, but I'd love to know more... it looks like it might even have been based on a Big 6.

The car immediately behind Ranford is distinctive enough that I feel someone should know it.

Roll on the colour pics of the Ranford/Maurice/Wakelin car... please, pretty please!

#1111 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 09:54

The Metcalfe Citroen, in its earliest manifestation, still with guards, and in primer:

Posted Image

No 19 has a Fiat 500 topolino transverse leaf front suspension. Could be the Fidget, equally could be the Colin Uphill Topolino Spl.

#1112 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,882 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:50

Going by the pics in the AGP book and Around the Houses, Terry, I'd say you're right there...

The panel under the windscreen on the Topolino is the giveaway, while the nose opening doesn't match the Narrogin pic of the Fidget.

#1113 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 11:32

Ray the only colour pic i haveof the George Wakelin car is a very poor slide shot from the 57 Agp which
is not worthy to go on this site but i will send a copy to you personaly if you wish.i have some excellent
b/w shots taken in the pits showing the profile of the car.

#1114 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,882 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:56

Posting for Dick Willis... taken from some movie, I gather, the Stewart MG with all the guys ready to push before the start at Bathurst, Easter 1959.

Posted Image

Ken, I will absorb all the pics you can send of that car... profile or otherwise, even with the Ford V8 in it. Send them to raybell46@gmail.com please.

#1115 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:59

O'k here it is one of the best shots i have of the car probably taken about 1956.The last known owner
of the car was a Keith Windsor he only ran it a couple of times then it dissapeared,he also had the old
Double V8 which he bought it without the engines,he shortened the chassis and installed a Lincoln V12
but it was never raced in this form and it was scrapped.

tp://ageshack.us]Posted Image[/URL]

#1116 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,882 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:34

If you've got one that good with the original nose, my day would be made!

From what I recall of the multitude of phone calls I made to Perth in 1977, talking with people from Barry Ranford to George Wakelin, the engine and box came out when it was finished as a speedway car, the chassis was scrapped.

Yes, it went to the speedway either during or after Windsor's ownership. Oh yeah, this pic is definitely post '57.

Regarding this pic, you can see a number of improvements on the car after Wakelin's use. Air scoops on the brakes, telescopic shocks added, that tidy nose cone, a fresh body. But the same windscreen!

#1117 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 14:19

Classic profile - a brand new Lotus Super 7, 1340cc, just finished by WA's importer Don Reimann, with Jack Ayres at the wheel. Obviously a hillclimb, but which one I don't know. The car was very swiftly bought by Jeff Dunkerton, and had a long and illustrious career including the 1962 Australian Grand Prix.

Picture by Lionel McPherson.

Posted Image

#1118 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,882 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 14:32

There's actually a dispute going at the moment about who owns this car...

Which is a real shame. Two cars, two owners, only one has the history. Someone's going to be disappointed.

#1119 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 22:44

This pic.of the Wakelin V8 was taken by Phil Jordon.The Lotus S7 driven by Jack Ayres was i think at
Wattle Grove Hillclimb.

RL=http://imageshack.us]Posted Image[/URL]

Advertisement

#1120 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,882 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 23:27

I always thought it was a shame that car got weighed down with the Ford engine...

#1121 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:35

Different times, different hill, same photographer. Probably about 1955 (because another pic in the series shows an MG TF), Turner Road hillclimb, loose gravel, Western Australia. Helmets? What are they?

Posted Image

#1122 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:20

How to stuff a 2.2 litre Holden 6 into a Pug 203. This is Bob Biltoft's old faithful, before and after.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#1123 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:07

Terry,
Good to see this thread back on the "front" page.

The two b/w before and after shots of Bob Biltofts Peugeot engined then Holden engined 203.
The top photo is actually a Simca Aronde. I think this may have been Brian "Happy Birthday" Mackay's car?

#1124 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:34

By George, I think you're right! And if anyone knows the inside of a Simca it's you. I was sure that 4 cyl hemi engine was a Pug.

#1125 Andrew Stevens

Andrew Stevens

• 89 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:35

Might the Super 7 pic been taken at a hillclimb up the Zig Zag - taken near the 'start' of the hill where there are a couple of houses on Ridge Hill Road? I'm assuming that they ran hillclimbs there in that era. The other option would be Crystal Brook Rd in Wattle Grove, but I don't recall topography like that on Crystal Brook Rd...

#1126 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:29

Terry,
My mistake, Brian Mackay's car was a 203 Peugeot of 1462 cc ?? It was entered in AppJ in the 63 Six Hour. The scrutineers must have been asleep, the 203 engine was a 1300. :

The Simca pictured has the Peugeot engine in lieu of the 1300 pushrod 'Flash' 4.

Murray Thomas or Warren Mathews could confirm all the above.

#1127 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:57

Originally posted by Wilyman
My mistake, Brian Mackay's car was a 203 Peugeot of 1462 cc ?? It was entered in AppJ in the 63 Six Hour. The scrutineers must have been asleep, the 203 engine was a 1300. :

Under Appendix J, weren't you allow to bore the block as long as that didn't put you up into the next class?

#1128 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:16

I think the Super 7 was photographed near the start of the Crystal Brook Road climb near Kelvin Road, where there are a few houses on the right.

EDIT: Crystal brook Rd not Lesmurdie Rd as I said first. Senior moment!

#1129 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,882 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:20

Originally posted by Terry Walker
By George, I think you're right! And if anyone knows the inside of a Simca it's you. I was sure that 4 cyl hemi engine was a Pug.

And if anyone else knows both it's me...

Yeah, a 203 motor. And David is right about the 'next class' thing, applied in Improved Touring too. But you couldn't put a Pug engine into a Simca.

#1130 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 22:23

They must have rebuilt the engine bay,a closer look shows they are different,come to think of it i think
Bob always ran a Holden motor in his pug.of course they were appendix k.
more pics.coming shortly.

#1131 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 22:41

What was the attraction/advantage/benefit of using Peugeot engines in specials and single seaters?
Roger Lund.

#1132 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 23:20

Yeah, a 203 motor. And David is right about the 'next class' thing, applied in Improved Touring too. But you couldn't put a Pug engine into a Simca.

...and in Improved Touring it was a max of .040" (1mm) over-bore provided it didn't take you into the next class.

#1133 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 23:23

Originally posted by bradbury west
What was the attraction/advantage/benefit of using Peugeot engines in specials and single seaters?
Roger Lund.

Briefly, they were light (alloy head), strong, and quite efficient with their cross-flow 8 port heads which also had almost hemispherical combustion chambers, so they could be made to produce very good power. But Ray will give a far more complete answer....

#1134 giffo

giffo

• 271 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 00:04

Bill Downey gave me a CD last night containing some images from John Alford

Edit - Added details of people pictured, details from Bill
Ross Anderson and Chris Royston - Lotus 47 (ex Don Hall) Wanneroo
Posted Image
Lemay team North Perth
L/R John Alford, Jeff Dunkerton, Terry Lemay, Kim Magill, Doug Mould
Posted Image

Bill was made a Life Member of the VSCC of WA last night
A little O/T but here is an image of Bill with a display of his pedal cars which he builds & sells to grandparents everywhere
Posted Image
http://www.warm.org.au/pedalcars.htm

#1135 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,882 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 00:17

Wasn't it Chris Royston had the Lotus 47?

Of course I may be well off beam here. And which one is Jeff Dunkerton?

Oh, yeah, Roger... the Peugeot engines had a strong bottom end, steel crank and so on, were very readily tuned for good power and had a good reputation.

#1136 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 00:47

The pic. is the Le May racing team taken in front of Terry LeMay's Shell service station in Nth Perth.
from L to R John Alford,Jeff Dunkerton,Terry Lemay,unknown,Doug Mould.(Doug was a brilliant young
driver the Craig Lownes of the 60s.) The LeMay team was very succesful in the late 60s and early 70s.

#1137 cavvy

cavvy

• 170 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 01:14

Team Le May in the era of the photo: John Alford ran under 1100cc, Jeff Dunkerton in an ex Manton 1310cc, & Doug Mould in sports sedans.

For mini afficionardos like myself, the duels with the John Harris team of Neville Grigsby (u 1100) & Rick Lisle are fabulous memories - throw in Geoff Power (ex Foley car), Ted Lisle, Howie Sangster, Peter Briggs & a legion of others ...

#1138 giffo

giffo

• 271 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:31

Are........Minis.......
Hers one from Bill from John Alford #73
Posted Image Dated ??

Between 11 & 19y/o I had about 10 minis & still have an interest in them despite not owning one for 20 years
This is a pic of me as a 12y/o entering Narrogin Speedway in late 1980 in a self built speedway car.
Posted Image

#1139 murray thomas

murray thomas

• 38 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:36

The only Simca Aronde I can remember having a Pug engine in it was The John Collins Car which was ex Bob Avery

Wilyman well spoted under the bonnet of the Simca it was probarly the John Collins car

Murray T

Advertisement

#1140 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:33

This pic of Don O'sullivan is an ex Bib Stillwell car.The handicappers started their own races to ensure
there were no stuffups with the timing.Thats me in the light shirt and my offsider Milton Mccutcheon in the
dark shirt.

http://imagshack.us]Posted Image[/URL]

#1141 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,230 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:57

[QUOTE]Originally posted by giffo

Posted Image
Hey i did not know that Elvis drove a Lotus 47.....well doneE.P.
:up: :up:

#1142 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 04:58

Does anybody Know what this car is..?the pic. is by Lyn Taylor but she cant remember where.it may be
South Australia.

http://imageshack.us]Posted Image[/URL]

#1143 iharos

iharos

• 35 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:00

Originally posted by giffo
Posted Image

Looks like Eddie Maguire to me

#1144 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,923 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:49

Originally posted by iharos
Looks like Eddie Maguire to me

Yes, well...

Quote:
The top pic I reckon is at Terry le Mays workshop. Probably John Alford on left , then Jeff, Terry (the big bloke, don’t know the next guy and I “think” the little guy on the right is Doug Mould who drove the sports car class Mini with the holes in it. Johns car was 1100cc and Jeffs obviously 1300cc, they ran a Mini in each class. There was an under 1100cc in that era, then 1100 to 1300cc. All three magnificent drivers.

The second pic is the Lotus 47, at Wanneroo, originally ( I reckon ) an ex-Gold Leaf Lotus Team car which was at one stage driven by Graham Hill. The car came to WA via a wealthy Malaysian icon, Teddy Yip, and was ultimately bought by Don Hall. It had a number of owners/drivers, but I reckon at that stage it was Chris Royston driving it and pictured. Don possibly still owned it then. That car may be now in an Oz collection or may have even gone back to England because of its history, Chris Royston was also a Mini punter, and I’m sure the Shell (WA) Mini in the background is Howie Sangsters (ex-Brian Foley car)……. The “missing” one that needs to be found ???

Great memories………..I’ll pass this on to Ross Bennett …… he’ll definitely be able to confirm.
Unquote

#1145 cavvy

cavvy

• 170 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:25

Indeed 275, at the Fitzgerald St HQ of the LeMay racing team & the Lotus 47 in the days of the Shell LeMay Racing team.

I believe the Foley Mini went to Geoff (or Jeff) Power, not Howie Sangster - Howie bought the Ted Lisle car.

Peter Briggs raced a Shell team Mini sports sedan before buying the Beechey 327 Monaro.

#1146 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 792 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:34

Ken Devine, does anyone know what car this is;

I certainly do, its the Warrior Bristol which I owned 1992 to 1999, Stan won't like this but I sold it to a guy named Jack Perkins in the USA after extensively advertising it in Australia and getting laughed at. I hate to think what it would be worth now especially in the UK where it would be right in its element at Goodwood.

Briefly, it was built in 1954 in the UK from the remains of a crashed Cooper Bristol, sold to Singapore in 1956 and remained there for over 20 years until it found its way to Australia where initially no-one knew what it was because by then it had a Jaguar engine fitted, some thought it was a Cooper Jaguar but Ian Boughton of WA identified it and restored it selling it to the Eastern States in the late eighties I think.

I have an idea there was a post on TNF about it some time ago, must have a look but it has been the subject of some magazine articles since it has been in the US. I really liked the car during the time I owned and regretted having to sell it but I fell victim to the usual problem--money, or shortage of it.

#1147 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:30

When the Warrior Bristol was owned by Ian Broughton he ran it at one of the York, WA, "Flying 50" events.
After doing some practice laps he drove into the pits with the WB running as rough as bags. I wandered over to have a look after they had lifted the bonnet. Sitting on top of the Bristol engine were 3 Solex carbs.
Having some experience with the Solex instrument, [Peugeot and Simca] I noticed that the choke/s had been left on ! I quietly pointed this out to the driver and walked away leaving him in animated conversation with his mechanic.

I was introduced to Ian Broughton by Rod Waller at the Caversham AGP 50th Anniversary. I told him the above story.

#1148 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,882 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 20:19

Originally posted by Dick Willis
.....it's the Warrior Bristol which I owned 1992 to 1999, Stan won't like this but I sold it to a guy named Jack Perkins in the USA after extensively advertising it in Australia and getting laughed at. I hate to think what it would be worth now especially in the UK where it would be right in its element at Goodwood.....

.....I really liked the car during the time I owned and regretted having to sell it but I fell victim to the usual problem--money, or shortage of it.

Well, at least you'll now have a nice colour pic of it to keep...

And another good story from Wilyman.

#1149 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 22:59

Iwould have thought that pic.would have been pre 80s,this pic.is ian boughton driving it at York in
1983.it looks like the same car.

p://imageshack.us]Posted Image[/URL]

#1150 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 04:19

Touring Car Racing, or rather production car racing as it was called, Caversham, mid 50s. Renault 750, Austin-Healey 100/4, Chevrolet.

Posted Image