Originally posted by giffo
[B]Bill Downey gave me a CD last night containing some images from John Alford

Edit - Added details of people pictured, details from Bill
Ross Anderson and Chris Royston - Lotus 47 (ex Don Hall) Wanneroo
Posted Image
Lemay team North Perth
L/R John Alford, Jeff Dunkerton, Terry Lemay, Kim Magill, Doug Mould
Posted Image

The two pics are quite an era apart ....the top one at Terrys Shell servo is the LeMay Pillarbox Red and White colour scheme ( could be even on the crossover era between Caversham and Wanneroo Park).

Car 26 is "definitely" the ex-Manton Neptune car of Jeff Dunkerton, Alfords 1100 and Moulds sports car (I'm pretty sure this was pre-sports sedan era). Indeed Briggs ran a sports Mini, not sure if it was the Doug Mould car, though. The second pic is some time later in the Yellow Shell WA colours. I'm still *fairly* sure about the Sangster/Foley link. I seem to recall a story about the one time Foley raced his Mini at Wanneroo, and the deal was that he (Sangster?) would purchase it "straight off the track" if he beat Manton on the day. He did !

I reckon it then became part of the John Harris Racing Team. I think Briggs car also was spannered by John Harris (another legend!)

More when I hear from Ross, he will confirm ...... there were so many minis and names in that era .... Ted and later his son Rick, Jeff Power etc etc ..... they were all good punters too!
UNQUOTE

Advertisement

#1152 ken devine

ken devine

• 746 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:07

The Doug Mould car was written off in a rollover about 72 or 73 which i think put an end to Doug's
carreer.i dont know if the car was rebuilt.Peter Briggs did run a lightweight Mini.A Foley Mini was raced at
Caversham by a local driver.

#1153 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,923 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:36

Originally posted by ken devine
The Doug Mould car was written off in a rollover about 72 or 73 which i think put an end to Doug's
carreer.i dont know if the car was rebuilt.Peter Briggs did run a lightweight Mini.A Foley Mini was raced at
Caversham by a local driver.

10 minutes ago confirmed the guy to the right of Terry is Kim McGill, John Alfords B.I.L and pitcrewman.

Sangster "definitely" purchased the Foley car at the last meeting at Caversham in 68. He ran solo, not in any particular team, and Howie ultimately drove for Don O'Sullivan in the Lola T70 (for a very short time alternated between the Mini and the Lola at the same meeting).

Unknown where that car ended up?? Peter Briggs ran a Mini as a closed sports (with some wierd concoction of a rear axle...sort of a cross between a beam axle and a Watts linkage) but in no particular team. The John Harris team was Neville Grigsby, Rick Lisle and the Bennett brothers (Ross and Mal). The Alford car went to Liz and Eric Payne, then Murray Davies, then to Denny Cunnold as a Nb Historic. Denny still has the car and is currently restoring it in his retirement to do a few Historic runs. Dunkertons ex-Manton Neptune car actually went to me (my first mini) and now is in Sydney nearly restored (with log-book).

Regards Al
UNQUOTE

#1154 ken devine

ken devine

• 746 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:37

This is the final Caversham meeting 1968 State Championship.

=http://imageshack.us]Posted Image[/URL]

#1155 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:27

The Porsche 911S is Fritz Kohout. No 4 is I think Beechey. The old Dark Blue Neptune racing team colours have been replaced by bright yellow for renamed Shell Racing Team.

#1156 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:43

Originally posted by Terry Walker
The Porsche 911S is Fritz Kohout. No 4 is I think Beechey. The old Dark Blue Neptune racing team colours have been replaced by bright yellow for renamed Shell Racing Team.

Terry,

If my memory serves me correctly, this meeting (Caversham) followed the initial outing of Norm Beecheys Monaro at Calder, where he beat Pete Geoghegan in their first race of the day.... the Monaro not being in the second as it sat on the back of the transporter for the rest of the day.

The original colour of the Monaro was yellow, with the standard GTS black stripe. It was latter painted "Electric Blue" (think that was the name of the colour) to match the McKeown and Manton cars. The Manton car would be in Electric Blue in the picture posted.

If you look closely to the bottom left of the No 4 on Beecheys car, I think you can see a tyre mark from his Calder clash with Pete Geoghegan..

#1157 ken devine

ken devine

• 746 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:21

Norm Beechy Caversham 1968.

Posted Image

#1158 ken devine

ken devine

• 746 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:34

[Looks like we are getting onto tintops now.this is the rest of the grid,someboby got their arm in the way.

L=http://imageshack.us]Posted Image[/URL]

#1159 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,923 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:39

Originally posted by Leo D
Terry,

If my memory serves me correctly, this meeting (Caversham) followed the initial outing of Norm Beecheys Monaro at Calder, where he beat Pete Geoghegan in their first race of the day.... the Monaro not being in the second as it sat on the back of the transporter for the rest of the day.

The original colour of the Monaro was yellow, with the standard GTS black stripe. It was latter painted "Electric Blue" (think that was the name of the colour) to match the McKeown and Manton cars. The Manton car would be in Electric Blue in the picture posted.

If you look closely to the bottom left of the No 4 on Beecheys car, I think you can see a tyre mark from his Calder clash with Pete Geoghegan..

Leo...the Electric Blue I remember was a much brighter colour and very popular with rodders at the time...the Neptune cars were a flatter blue paint AFAIR.

Re Beechey...from Al

I was just going to say , if my memory serves me correctly, Beechey had the distinction of winning the last race at Caversham ……. The Handicap !

Advertisement

#1160 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:03

And I reckon that's Beechey getting waved off in that handicap in post #1154

#1161 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:05

Originally posted by 275 GTB-4

Leo...the Electric Blue I remember was a much brighter colour and very populad with rodders at the time...the Neptune cars were a flatter blue paint AFAIR.

Mick,

Indeed the Neptune Blue was a deeper blue... I'd almost call it a royal type Blue, if that makes sense.

The colour scheme for the Neptune team, was in the darker blue with white stripes. The Neptune team then changed to the Tridents/Shell racing team, the cars being black with red and yellow striping. The colour scheme of the cars then changed to the "Electric Blue" with yellow and red stripes, and then finally, the colour scheme became yellow with a red stripe.

#1162 ken devine

ken devine

• 746 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:15

You are all right the picture shows Norm Beechy receiving the chequered flag from Felix Smetana to win
the last event at Caversham a 10 lap handicap from John Alford and Dick Roberts. As handicapper i started
him on a handicap of 4.45,something i reminded him of when he autographed a copy of the photo at
Phillip Island this year.It was tremendous watching him charge through the field with all lights flashing.
His fastest lap was 1.25 . which was 3sec faster than the scratch races.

#1163 Al Munday

Al Munday

• 11 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 20:23

Hey..... I'm finally activated ! Thanks , Mick, for introducing me to this forum, and relaying messages. This is very interesting with magic memories from obviously "gentlemen of nostalgia" . :wave:

#1164 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,923 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 23:12

Originally posted by Al Munday
Hey..... I'm finally activated ! Thanks , Mick, for introducing me to this forum, and relaying messages. This is very interesting with magic memories from obviously "gentlemen of nostalgia" . :wave:

Damn right!! welcome Al, my pleasure...pop an entry into the introduce yourself area when ya get a chance :wave:

#1165 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,923 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 23:39

You are all right the picture shows Norm Beechy receiving the chequered flag from Felix Smetana to win
the last event at Caversham a 10 lap handicap from John Alford and Dick Roberts. As handicapper i started
him on a handicap of 4.45,something i reminded him of when he autographed a copy of the photo at
Phillip Island this year.It was tremendous watching him charge through the field with all lights flashing.
His fastest lap was 1.25 . which was 3sec faster than the scratch races.

Hi Ken...thanks very much for posting all this wonderful stuff from the past...I have just read the RCN report from 1967...where Alford beat the Nova in the handicap and where skinny entered the straight with a door open and his carpets on fire!!

Interesting that the report ends with some terse words about next year "we expect to be on the new circuit, with vastly improved spectator, and I hope press, facilities.

#1166 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 04:53

This is the final Caversham meeting 1968 State Championship.

=http://imageshack.us]Posted Image[/URL]

Ken,
Who is the bloke in the dark suit,tie and hat ? He wouldn't have looked out of place at the recent Melb. Cup post race weigh-in !!

The big name minis lined up reminded me of what became of App J racing in those times. Unfortunately or fortunately the minis did everything so well that they became boring.
I would only bother to travel down from Kalgoorlie to watch the tourers when Beechey was running his interesting assortment of cars. Or anything as long as it wasn't a min.

Ken, Terry et al. Keep the stories and pictures coming. My internet charges have rocketed but who cares.

#1167 ken devine

ken devine

• 746 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:35

Posted Image

#1168 ken devine

ken devine

• 746 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:37

It seems you guys have been asleep for a week i thought i would wake you all with this beauty.

#1169 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,940 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:24

That was on the Sunday, of course...

We've been waiting with bated breath for you, Ken!

#1170 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:40

Um.... er.... how do I put this delicately, because it looks so good in the pic....
Was that the one that ended up slightly bent out of shape at a later stage ???
Warwick Farm ???
Or am I way, way off the mark ???

#1171 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,940 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:50

Um.... er....
...am I way, way off the mark?

I suspect so...

The pic is obviously at Caversham when the car was just a few months old. It was years from crashing at that stage... but my comment has to do with who is in the picture. I think, anyway.

Also, later in the year it wore padding over the nose of the car, green with white stipes (or tape?)... I think that might have been as a result of stone chips from Caversham, but it might have been from Lowood.

#1172 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:57

Originally posted by Ray Bell

I suspect so...

The pic is obviously at Caversham when the car was just a few months old. It was years from crashing at that stage... but my comment has to do with who is in the picture. I think, anyway.

Also, later in the year it wore padding over the nose of the car, green with white stipes (or tape?)... I think that might have been as a result of stone chips from Caversham, but it might have been from Lowood.

Ray,
I am aware that the pic was at Caversham....it says Caversham 1965 on the pic....
The point I was getting at was, this is the same 250 that was later badly damaged at Warwick Farm ?? which pretty well put it out of competition for a fair while ???
Maybe my first post on it could have been better worded.....

#1173 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,940 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:16

Oh, right, I thought you were referring to my 'Sunday' comment...

It was never out of action for all that long, that I recall. It did have a biff coming off The Causeway, and Bill Brown put it on its side at Oran Park, IIRC. It raced in NZ for a while too, I think. For tax reasons, I think.

#1174 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:31

I think the biggy was much later, Ray, 1970s or even 1980s

#1175 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,940 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:47

Oh yeah, in a demo run or something at Sandown, wasn't it?

The poor old thing copped a hiding in its day, didn't it? This picture shows it to be absolutely spotless... it couldn't last.

#1176 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:50

Was Pete Geoghegan driving it when it had (it being the car) had its' big one?
I thought Bill Brown was out of sports cars by the time the big one occurred?.....
He no longer drove the 250 after he had driven the P4??
His crashes in the Falcons at Bathurst being after his sports car period, if that's the right way to put it ???
Then he had some runs in a Porsche for a while from memory???
Am I close to the mark here or is my memory letting me down ???

#1177 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:52

Oh yeah, in a demo run or something at Sandown, wasn't it?

The poor old thing copped a hiding in its day, didn't it? This picture shows it to be absolutely spotless... it couldn't last.

Ray,
Sandown strikes a chord with me for some reason..... but I don't know why.... a Australian Sports Car Championship round perhaps???
Warwick Farm was where I thought it happens, but the Sandown thing has got me thinking as well....

#1178 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,940 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:05

The big one that David jogged my memory about was, I'm sure, at a late seventies or early eighties September Sandown... in an Historic type event...

Either Bill Brown or Andy Buchanan or Fat Pete copped the end of the fence coming from The Causeway at the Farm, that would likely have been Pete in 1968 or so. I think you're right about Bill not driving it again after the P4 era.

And Bill got into Porsches about 1969 or 1970 and drove them through to about 1974 or so... his biggest crash at Bathurst was during this time... 1971, though Mike Savva pushed him up the bank in 1969 and he took a Torana off the road in 1972. His Porsche career was relatively incident free.

#1179 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:34

The "end of the fence" hit at Warwick Farm, is the one I'm thinking of Ray....

This was also the car that won the first long distance race at Surfers in, what, 1966?...... Think Jackie Stewart was one of the drivers?.... I can't remember if there was another 250 in that as well ?? Paul Hawkins ssems to jog the memory as well....
Part of the Surfers Paradise Speed Week from memory.... think the first one was a 24 hour thing then they became 12 hours at subsequent....

Advertisement

#1180 Stan Patterson

Stan Patterson

• 682 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:38

Ray,

Who are these names?

I asked the Brigadier....he had no idea..none of those chaps in his regiment..more's the pity

Stan

#1181 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,707 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:58

David Mckay had a biggie in the 250LM at Sandown in 1978 at the Tribute to Fangio meeting when he blew off an oil hose and spun on his own oil. David broke an arm on the gear-lever because he was not wearing belts, he also broke his Herbert Johnson helmet on the windscreen.

#1182 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,707 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:02

Originally posted by Stan Patterson
Ray,

Who are these names?

I asked the Brigadier....he had no idea..none of those chaps in his regiment..more's the pity

Stan

You should take a mirror to bed, so you can wake up to yourself. :rolleyes:

#1183 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,940 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:31

This was also the car that won the first long distance race at Surfers in, what, 1966?...... Think Jackie Stewart was one of the drivers?.... I can't remember if there was another 250 in that as well ?? Paul Hawkins seems to jog the memory as well....
Part of the Surfers Paradise Speed Week from memory.... think the first one was a 24 hour thing then they became 12 hours at subsequent....

The first Surfers long distance race was 12 hours... they were all 12 hours for several years...

Stewart and Buchanan first, Sutcliffe and Matich second in a GT40. The longer nosed Ferrari 275LM was driven by Jackie Epstein and Paul Hawkins and finished fifth after striking troubles.

The SV Ferrari won again the next year, this time driven by Bill Brown and Greg Cusack. Whoops! You're right, it became a 6-hour in 1968 and was won by Leo and Ian Geoghegan in the same car. The 12-hour race became a tintop event around January, I think.

Anyway, nobody seems to know why I said the Caversham pic is on the Sunday...

#1184 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,940 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:35

Originally posted by Stan Patterson
Ray,

Who are these names?

Which names, Stan?

Fat Pete? He raced a Lotus 20B and a Lotus 23... Andy Buchanan ran a Brabham BT7A in Tasman Cup events... Bill Brown was pretty quick at places like Bathurst in a sporty car Ferrari, you know, a P4?

Mike Savva... well, he was a Club level pilot of a Sunbeam Alpine with a chrome roll bar.

#1185 Leo D

Leo D

• 420 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:46

The first Surfers long distance race was 12 hours... they were all 12 hours for several years...

Stewart and Buchanan first, Sutcliffe and Matich second in a GT40. The longer nosed Ferrari 275LM was driven by Jackie Epstein and Paul Hawkins and finished fifth after striking troubles.

The SV Ferrari won again the next year, this time driven by Bill Brown and Greg Cusack. Whoops! You're right, it became a 6-hour in 1968 and was won by Leo and Ian Geoghegan in the same car. The 12-hour race became a tintop event around January, I think.

Anyway, nobody seems to know why I said the Caversham pic is on the Sunday...

I was pretty sure on my call on the change in the lengths of the events at Surferes Ray, but I wasn't that confident on my 24 hr call..... the 12 hr/6 hr call being the correct one, as you stated...

Since no one asked about the Sunday relevance to the Caversham pic, I'll ask.....

BTW....that's David McKay to the back of the car.... left of the pole???

#1186 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,940 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:51

I don't see David anywhere in that picture...

But I feel sure it's Bob Atkin steering the car, and that's why it's Sunday.

#1187 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 13:06

This was also the car that won the first long distance race at Surfers in, what, 1966?...... Think Jackie Stewart was one of the drivers?.... I can't remember if there was another 250 in that as well ?? Paul Hawkins ssems to jog the memory as well....

I think you'll find that the Surfers races were 12 hr to start with in '66? and '67 and then they shortened to 6 hr. I drove in the '66, '67 and '68 and there was also a 4hr in I think '67...Too long ago...

#1188 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 14:37

I But I feel sure it's Bob Atkin steering the car, and that's why it's Sunday.

Praise the Lord.

#1189 ken devine

ken devine

• 746 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 22:40

The pic.was taken during practice on Saturday.The race was always on the Monday foundation day
holiday in WA.

#1190 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,940 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 23:06

Then it's either not Bob Atkin or it's Monday...

He would not be there on a Saturday. Never.

#1191 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 23:29

Then it's either not Bob Atkin or it's Monday...

He would not be there on a Saturday. Never.

Ray,
Would it be a religious thing. An "Eighth Day Opportunist" perchance ?

I vaguely recall the LM doing the rounds of WA's Shell S/stations. Even being on show in Kalgoorlie.

#1192 ken devine

ken devine

• 746 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 23:57

You may be right the way people are all rugged up it was probably early morning before the start.it was
usually a cold wet day.we didn't have many dry 6hrs.

#1193 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,707 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:57

I found a reference to the LM getting shunted by an Alfa during one of the Caversham races with Andy Buchanan driving.
I also noticed that when Bill Brown sat it on its side at Oran Park he had Bill Tuckey in the passenger seat. :eek:

#1194 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,940 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:21

That's right, Catalina, that was the following year...

And in David's book, of course, it distinctly implies that Bill was trying to impress Tuckey. I don't know why he'd want to do that, but still...

I once rode around the Warwick Farm short circuit in that car, with David driving. A nice experience, but I don't think there was a belt on the passenger's side. Did the book say that Bill finished up with Bill dumped all over him? that wouldn't be a nice experience at all.

Oh, yeah, Bob was a Seventh Day Adventist. I think I might have told this story before, about what part that played in the move of Spencer Martin from SV to Bob Jane's team.

#1195 ken devine

ken devine

• 746 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:13

Another shot of this magnificent car. Just to keep you guys going.

http://imageshack.us]Posted Image[/URL]

#1196 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:09

Going back into the dark ages: Lake Perkollili, with Eric Armstrong (Triumph Imp) and the Austin 7 Meteor of (I think) Arthur Chick) crossing the line in a near dead heat. From Armstrong family scrap book.

Posted Image

#1197 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,940 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:09

You certanly have access to some lovely photos, Terry... I've always been impressed with what you've pulled out of the woodwork...

And that photo of the Ferrari, that's David driving.

#1198 ken devine

ken devine

• 746 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 22:46

An great colour shot through the esses by Milton McCutcheon.

http://imageshack.us]Posted Image[/URL]

#1199 ken devine

ken devine

• 746 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 22:55

Ron Thorpes Cobra immaculate after 6hrs of racing.

ttp://imageshack.us]Posted Image[/URL]

Advertisement

#1200 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,940 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 02:56

That's Spencer driving in the Ferrari shot...

Is it appropriate to mention that Ron Thorpe and his wife co-drove in these two races? One they won, and the other in which I think they came second... isn't that right?